PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Jones-Drew: HOF

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm calling it right now. I am saying that as of now, I think he is showing us that he is one of the best running backs of all time. I am ready to put him in that category. I think the value in pointing it out while he is still a relatively young runner is in being able to appreciate what he will be doing over the next few years as he rides out his prime.

He didn't rush for over 1,000 yards until his 4th year, but that's the year he inherited the role from Fred Taylor - another great player. In the meantime, even that other great player couldn't keep him of the field or away from the end zone, as MJD was probably the best #2 running back in the league for his first three years. He did pass 1100 yards from scrimmage each of those years, and over 1300 his rookie and third seasons. Again, as a backup. Those first three years he was 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in receptions, and in his third year was 2nd on the team in receiving yards, too. His versatility meant that even though his primary position was already being played by an outstanding player, his skill set was so advanced that he could spend more time on the field through filling additional roles.

And who can forget the block on Shawn Merriman? That's great pass blocking from any back. I don't think anyone needs to even comment on his size anymore - he's short, not small. Eisen is absolutely right to call him "Pocket Hercules." He's got real power, too. And I say that to point out that while a lot of backs make their names by making moves, Jones-Drew is a true power runner in addition to that versatility. He has true breakaway speed - official 4.39 at the combine. 208 is not normally a weight you look at and think, "power runner," but because of his height that obviously means he's very compact. He can absorb a lot of punishment, and can dish it out, too. It's kind of like a persons's fists; a longer, leaner hand of one mass is going to be a less effective weapon than a slightly less massive, better-shaped one. Teams passed on him because they wondered if he could take the pounding, but he's proven to be no less durable than any other elite back.

Since the exit of Fred Taylor in 2009 and MJD's official claiming of the starting spot, he's ran for 1300+ yards in three consecutive seasons, with at least 1600 yards from scrimmage in those three seasons, and he's been doing that on some of the least offensively talented teams in the NFL. And that's the reason I'm writing this now. I made a post in the week 15 discussion earlier about how Maurice Jones-Drew is going to have a career like Barry Sanders. He's got kind of an incompetent front office, but he's an incredibly talented player they more or less lucked into and have used since he got there to keep their offense viable. You think the Colts are bad without Peyton, try taking MJD off the Jaguars this year. I mean, we at least knew Peyton's backup was bad. Do we know who MJD's backup is? Jacksonville's next-highest rusher is Deji Kareem. Remember him? No? Well, he has 124 yards. Maurice Jones-Drew is probably going to set career-highs in rushing yards and yards from scrimmage this year, playing on the worst team of his career. He's still averaging 4 and half yards for carry, too; he's never had a season below 4.2 yards per carry, all others 4.4 or above. That is some impressive consistence over a career. He's still only 26. But he does have a lot of wear on him by now. If the Jaguars had drafted a capable young quarterback instead of Gabbert, over the next few years we'd be coming to see Jones-Drew's career in a very similar light to the way we did LaDainian Tomlinson in the prime of his career - an extremely versatile running back who carried a bad team through his early years, and then was the focus of a good team through his prime. But the second part of that looks doubtful for Jones-Drew. Thing is, Jones-Drew might even be better than LT in some ways. You never saw LT jack people up the way MDJ does sometimes, but you can't really say MJD doesn't put moves on people the way LT used to.

So I'm just watching this disaster of a game tonight, and just wondering what must be going through MJD's head as he sees this hapless, floppy-haired kid sinking his team, and maybe his career goals in Jacksonville. Does he ask out? Does he stay loyal? I'm certainly going to be interested to see, because I think there's a rare running back down in Jacksonville right now that isn't getting the opportunities to get the recognition he deserves as an elite NFL player. So I'm just throwing his name out there. Give it up for MJD.

murdamal86
12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
That's too much to read honestly lol but yea he's "rotting" away here in Jax. I think he's been a top 5 back since he's been a full time starter

jth1331
12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
What a great pick that was for the Jaguars. I remember people were weary of him due to his height, but he's been great.
HOF? Surprisingly, yeah he's got a good shot if he keeps his TD numbers up. That's more important to me than yards.
I also think it helped a lot when he was splitting carries that should make him last a little longer.

Sloopy
12-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Definitely one of my favorite running backs to watch other than Ray Rice

SuperPacker
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
One game with 4 touchdowns and suddenly hes the best ever running back! I can think of 5 RBs off the top of my head that are better than MJD; Peterson, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson and Arian Foster.

DraftSavant
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I approve of this thread.

What he's doing this year is just downright incredible.

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
One game with 4 touchdowns and suddenly hes the best ever running back! I can think of 5 RBs off the top of my head that are better than MJD; Peterson, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson and Arian Foster.

This didn't come after the 4-TD game. It came after a mediocre game for him and a bad game for his team. And he's better the all of those guys except AP.

defensiveback23
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I know it's not the point of the thread, but LT had plenty of power in his day. His stiff arm was incredibly effective. Ask OJ Atogwe. MJD is outstanding, but LT is a guy who was the only weapon on his team in 03' and had 1600 yards rushing and 100 catches. MJD at least has Lewis, who isn't having a great year but is still a threat nonetheless, and a I'd argue a much better o-line than LT had.

Shane P. Hallam
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Do we have to let Keak back if MJD gets into the HOF?

CC.SD
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Next time jerk off to highlights BEFORE you post here it will calm you down a little.

MJD is great but 90% of that post was hyperbole.

nepg
12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
I'll make it short. No.

DiG
12-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I hope we get Keak back if MJD gets into the HOF

fixed for you

boknows34
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM

He'll be MJD's presenter.

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I know it's not the point of the thread, but LT had plenty of power in his day. His stiff arm was incredibly effective. Ask OJ Atogwe. MJD is outstanding, but LT is a guy who was the only weapon on his team in 03' and had 1600 yards rushing and 100 catches. MJD at least has Lewis, who isn't having a great year but is still a threat nonetheless, and a I'd argue a much better o-line than LT had.

This is very true. I actually used to have a picture of this exact stiff arm on my wall, so I know what you're talking about. Different kind of physicality, though. MJD is more likely to line you up than LT was. I'm not really trying to say MJD is "better," but that they're on similar planes at the 6-year point in their careers. And I'll stand by that.

EDIT: no doubt LT's best seasons are more impressive than what MJD has done so far. Just want to be clear I'm not saying "MJD is better than LT." Absolutely no desire to start that flame war.

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Next time jerk off to highlights BEFORE you post here it will calm you down a little.

MJD is great but 90% of that post was hyperbole.

It's hyperbole to point out that he's been consistent and very productive on a terrible offense? What part did you find hyperbolic, specifically? If it's 90%, an example shouldn't be hard.

CC.SD
12-16-2011, 04:08 PM
It's hyperbole to point out that he's been consistent and very productive on a terrible offense? What part did you find hyperbolic, specifically? If it's 90%, an example shouldn't be hard.

ok here you go

Thing is, Jones-Drew might even be better than LT in some ways.

this is awkward too.

And who can forget the block on Shawn Merriman? That's great pass blocking from any back.

HoF caliber block, oh yeah.

More:

You think the Colts are bad without Peyton, try taking MJD off the Jaguars this year.

Super Bowl one year removed, to 0-16 for the Colts, btw

On a roll:

I made a post in the week 15 discussion earlier about how Maurice Jones-Drew is going to have a career like Barry Sanders.

The thread title and first sentence, too:

I am saying that as of now, I think he is showing us that he is one of the best running backs of all time. I am ready to put him in that category.

I like MJD a lot, no denying him but I don't even think it's an insult to call your post hyperbolic.

Brent
12-16-2011, 04:34 PM
You should let him back, regardless.

CashmoneyDrew
12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
My favorite memory of MJD was when he was coming out for the draft and in one of the draft guides it listed his major as still 'undeclared' as a junior. Random but true.

Brent
12-16-2011, 04:42 PM
My favorite memory of MJD was when he was coming out for the draft and in one of the draft guides it listed his major as still 'undeclared' as a junior. Random but true.
I don't believe "Football" was a major at UCLA at that point

phlysac
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Frank Gore, too, while we're at it.

:P

BaLLiN
12-16-2011, 05:24 PM
i agree that mjd's situation is similar to barry sanders's but the runs that barry sanders had are far superior compared to MJD's and Garrard was actually a decent starter for a bit, whereas none of the Detroit QB's were even serviceable.

Ness
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM

My favorite memory is him trucking Shawne Merriman.

Nalej
12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
i agree that mjd's situation is similar to barry sanders's but the runs that barry sanders had are far superior compared to MJD's and Garrard was actually a decent starter for a bit, whereas none of the Detroit QB's were even serviceable.

While this is 99% true, he had one season of 4300+ yds and 32 TDs. They went 10-6 that year.

Rosebud
12-16-2011, 06:29 PM

No offense to Forte and Foster who have been hugely effective the past couple years but I'd take MJD over either them for my team on day. He's right up there with Stephen Jackson, CJ2K, Ray Rice and AD.

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 11:10 PM
ok here you go

I like MJD a lot, no denying him but I don't even think it's an insult to call your post hyperbolic.

Well... you know what "hyperbole" means, right? To exaggerate hugely? Like... looking at a table of food and saying, "This is enough for a whole army!"

Saying MJD is a premier player at his position and predicting he'll be in the Hall of Fame is not an absurd prediction. Suggesting he compares favorably to the running back who has defined the position for the last decade, and suggesting there are some areas he might even be better in, is not an absurd suggestion. Pointing out that he's a good pass blocker, and has made Sportscenter doing it, can only help his cause, so I'm not sure how the Merriman block fits what you're trying to say... It was a memorable play. I think there are certainly comparisons to be made between not only him and Barry Sanders, but LT and other HOF-caliber backs as well.

So... I'm actually not insulted, but I do disagree that "hyperbole" is an accurate way of describing my post. If you don't agree, whatever.

And anyways, I really made the thread because I do think he's very justifiably top-3 or so at his position right now, (maintaining that for a a significant period of time is what makes a guy HOF, in my opinion... you get guys that make huge splashes for relatively short periods of time - Priest Holmes, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, Tiki Barber come to mind - but MJD is maintaining excellence in a really hard place to play) and feel bad that he's in such a bad situation down there in Jacksonville. Gotta be tough for the guy.

vidae
12-16-2011, 11:20 PM
There are very few active players who are worthy of the HOF talk, and MJD is not one of them.

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 11:26 PM
There are very few active players who are worthy of the HOF talk, and MJD is not one of them.

Not yet. I'm saying I think when his career's over, barring injury, he will be. If he shredded his knee next week and never played again, he would not end up in the HOF. But except maybe for Adrian Peterson, I really don't think you can't say any back in the NFL is indisputably better than MJD right now, and you could probably find a few people who prefer MJD. I prefer Peterson myself, but Peterson's already got his own HOF train rolling.

Halsey
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Life as a RB must be great. No matter how bad your team is, fans love you as long as you put up pretty numbers.

murdamal86
12-17-2011, 07:38 AM

LT had David Boston

Caddy
12-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Ummmmm what. Wait till he is 30 at least...

J-Mike88
12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Ummmmm what. Wait till he is 30 at least...
Right. Does the guy need some playoff success first?
Still amazing that he was totally overshadowed in Los Angeles by Reggie Bush in college.....who knew?

Seamus2602
12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
If you look at his play for the last three years then he has a shot if he keeps playing at that level for the next 3 or 4 years. If he does that then he could finish as a top 15 all time in rushing yards, top 5 rushing TDs, Top 15 yards from scrimmage and top 10 overall TDs. So with those he has a shot. The fact that he's always played for a poor team (he has only one year in the playoffs) is going to hurt him but it is less of an issue at running back than at other positions.

Brent
12-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Still amazing that he was totally overshadowed in Los Angeles by Reggie Bush in college.....who knew?
Reggie Bush was amazing in college on a national stage, that's why.

GaMeTiMe
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm happy he's being appreciated because he deserves it despite the team he's on, but I think the single season he's having this year needs to be looked at more than his complete body of work and HoF prospects, because this is going to pretty much be it for him. He won't have a season like this again before the natural regression hits, and I don't doubt his toughness whatsoever but it's coming sooner than later..If you want to say he's having an MVP caliber season (and then we can play the "what VALUABLE really means" game) then say that, but once he falls off next year even slightly and eventually has that nosedive season most people don't see coming I don't think the HoF chatter will be as loud as it is even in this thread.

Bengalsrocket
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Life as a RB must be great. No matter how bad your team is, fans love you as long as you put up pretty numbers.

Pretty sure that's true for all positions... fans usually dislike the players that DON'T perform well.

J-Mike88
12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Reggie Bush was amazing in college on a national stage, that's why.Good point. Him, Leinart, and Dwyane Jarrett, unstoppable. Where are they now? Interesting that the 3 of them have amounted to nothing (people in here say Bush was a bust).... whereas now we got guys here putting MJD into Canton.

And Leinart's backup at USC who never took a snap has gotten a huge contract. Ironic?

Paul
12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Good point. Him, Leinart, and Dwyane Jarrett, unstoppable. Where are they now? Interesting that the 3 of them have amounted to nothing (people in here say Bush was a bust).... whereas now we got guys here putting MJD into Canton.

And Leinart's backup at USC who never took a snap has gotten a huge contract. Ironic?

Bush has actually been doing work in Miami.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-18-2011, 08:00 AM
mjd is a good player but he benefits from not having a qb as much as it hurts him

good luck getting 20 carries a game with aaron rodgers or drew brees

yo123
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
mjd is a good player but he benefits from not having a qb as much as it hurts him

good luck getting 20 carries a game with aaron rodgers or drew brees

The Saints run more than you think. If they had a feature RB like MJD he'd still get 20 carries a game.