PDA

View Full Version : Can Peyton Manning land in a position to win another Superbowl?

shane_man
12-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Assume for just a second that his time in Indy is done after this season and he's traded. Who could pick him up and get him to a Superbowl(and win it)? More importantly. If we were being realistic. He would probably have to be traded to an NFC team as well. Is there anyone in a position to go after Manning because they think he can get them over the line?

killxswitch
12-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Manning is untradeable. The Colts are not going to pay him $28 M and then trade him for a few picks. And they can't trade him before his bonus is due.

If they release him, I assume he'll have his pick of whatever team he wants to go to that doesn't have a QB they believe in.

edit: also, http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50116

Jughead10
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Manning is untradeable. The Colts are not going to pay him $28 M and then trade him for a few picks. And they can't trade him before his bonus is due.

If they release him, I assume he'll have his pick of whatever team he wants to go to that doesn't have a QB they believe in.

edit: also, http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50116

If it comes to the point before the new NFL calendar year, that both Manning and the Colts have decided to part ways, I'm sure Manning would renegotiate his contract to push that roster bonus back to June of July. Make it a camp reporting bonus or something. Have the next team pick it up.

That's if he's traded, which I don't think will happen.

killxswitch
12-16-2011, 08:37 AM
If it comes to the point before the new NFL calendar year, that both Manning and the Colts have decided to part ways, I'm sure Manning would renegotiate his contract to push that roster bonus back to June of July. Make it a camp reporting bonus or something. Have the next team pick it up.

That's if he's traded, which I don't think will happen.

Why would he do that? It would limit the teams he could go to and it would harm his future team in terms of draft picks, talented players, or both. There is zero reason for him to agree to a change in his contract.

Jughead10
12-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Why would he do that? It would limit the teams he could go to and it would harm his future team in terms of draft picks, talented players, or both. There is zero reason for him to agree to a change in his contract.

He would do that if he wants to get traded. Because it's the only way it would happen. Like you said the Colts aren't going to give him 28 million dollars as a parting gift. Any team that trades for a player of his status would normally have to give that player a new contract anyway. It would just be his signing bonus kind of. The type of teams that can't or wouldn't pay a bonus like that to Peyton Manning, wouldn't be going after him anyway. And Peyton wouldn't want to go to those teams.

GaMeTiMe
12-16-2011, 08:45 AM
If you don't think Peyton is going to be traded/cut, then you're probably from the school of thought that Indy moves down from #1 for a bounty of picks. However if Barkley and Griffin both declare, and it's starting to look more likely each day that they will, I really don't think teams are falling over each other trying to move up to #1 to take Luck.

In the end, I think Andrew Luck is a Colt no matter what happens with Manning. People are completely counting out these two being teammates next season only because it's assumed Luck will be a starter as a rookie and because Archie had some quote on the ESPN bottom line. Peyton is getting old and now his health is obviously a risk - if Indy wants to draft his successor, in the form of a perceived once-in-a-generation prospect, I really don't think he's going to throw a fit and demand to be cut/traded, especially if he's still the unquestioned starter - and if healthy he should be.

I'm not saying Peyton will end his career a Colt, but I'm also not assuming his career will be over at the end of next season which seems to be the popular opinion. Indy needs to do what's best for the future of the franchise, and if a new regime is brought in I'm sure they'll be less sensitive to what Peyton has brought them through the years. If/when they end up picking #1 and can't move back, they're going to pick Luck, and they're going to do what they deem necessary with Peyton from there, even if it's a year down the line. The only way there would be a QB controversy is if Peyton falls off, and if he does, cutting/trading him would be that much more justifiable, and if he doesn't, you potentially fetch that much better of a pick in a potential deal the next season.

Smooth Criminal
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Peyton won't renegotiate, unless he wants to stay with the Colts. He's gonna make them commit to him with the bonus, or cut him and let him go whereever he sees fit.

Personally I'd love to see him in Arizona or Kansas City and try to make another run or two at the playoffs.