PDA

View Full Version : Report: Darren McFadden is out for season

nobodyinparticular
12-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Link is forthcoming.

Jason La Canfora reporting: (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82526cb3/article/foot-injury-likely-to-sideline-raiders-mcfadden-for-rest-of-2011)

McFadden has been sidelined for the Raiders' last six games -- unable to practice -- and his chronic foot condition remains a concern. Even if the Raiders reached the postseason, McFadden would have difficulty making it back.

According to Will Carroll tweet, it is a lisfranc sprain.

Will Carroll @injuryexpert
Darren McFadden done for year, per @JasonLaCanfora. SHouldn't surprise anyone.

Andrew Kuhn @A_Kuhn1
@injuryexpert @JasonLaCanfora That means no DMC for any portion of playoffs also? Is it officially lisfranc break?

Will Carroll @injuryexpert
@A_Kuhn1 @JasonLaCanfora It's a Lisfranc sprain.

Here is some literature on lisfranc injuries: (http://www.footeducation.com/lisfranc-injury-fracture-midfoot-sprain)
Stable Lisfranc injuries are treated nonoperatively. This involves relative immobilization in either a cast or a walking boot. Patients often need at least a 6-week period where they are either non-weightbearing or minimally weightbearing through the heel. In a stable injury, some or most of the midfoot ligaments are still intact, so a basic amount of healing is needed and then the patients can increase their activity level. However, even with a non-displaced injury, it is surprising how long the recovery can be!! The patients are still often symptomatic with pain and swelling 8-12 weeks (or even more) after their injury. A non-displaced injury is often thought to be a “foot sprain”. However, unlike an ankle sprain, which recovers relatively quickly, this can take a long time to heal.

Quick run-down of lisfranc injuries:

There are two types of lisfranc injuries--displaced and nondisplaced. Displaced injuries are "breaks" which means the bones in the mid-foot have shifted. Nondisplaced injuries are "sprain" of the midfoot ligaments at the lisfranc joint.

Displaced lisfranc injuries require surgery to re-align the foot bones, often requiring pins and screws. Nondisplaced lisfranc injuries should not require surgery and generally only require 6 weeks of rest. Recovery can be prolonged, however, in many patients.

BuddyCHRIST
12-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Its a damn shame he can't stay healthy.

nobodyinparticular
12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Its a damn shame he can't stay healthy.

I find it interesting that his main problems have been with his feet. People looked at his legs and upper body, saying they were frail, but it has been turf toe and now a lisfranc injury that have sapped him of most of his playing time.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Love McFadden. Have since his Razorback days. Just stay healthy damnit.

nobodyinparticular
12-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Love McFadden. Have since his Razorback days. Just stay healthy damnit.

He was even hobbled for most of the season when he was playing. He had a lingering injury from the abbreviated training camp that was limiting his explosiveness. I'm just disappointed that if the Raiders make the playoffs he still won't be able to play. I was just holding out hope that Oakland could at least squeak in and get their offense healthy for a run in January.

Flyboy
12-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Lisfranc are no joke. Surprised he wasn't IR'd as soon as they realized what it was.

nobodyinparticular
12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Lisfranc are no joke. Surprised he wasn't IR'd as soon as they realized what it was.

And he still hasn't been IR'd. That tells me they are holding out hope he can still play if they make a deep run or it will come soon.

Flyboy
12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
And he still hasn't been IR'd. That tells me they are holding out hope he can still play if they make a deep run or it will come soon.

Yeah, still doesn't make much sense to me. Matt Schaub has the same type of injury.. IR.

I only know of the injury so well because two Saints have had players that have bounced back from it... Chris Ivory and Jonathan Callias.

nobodyinparticular
12-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, still doesn't make much sense to me. Matt Schaub has the same type of injury.. IR.

I only know of the injury so well because two Saints have had players that have bounced back from it... Chris Ivory and Jonathan Callias.

It sounds like Schaub had a displaced lisfranc injury. It doesn't seem like McFadden's is displaced--meaning it's only sprained ligaments. If the bones were displaced then he likely would have been IR'd immediately.

San Diego Chicken
12-18-2011, 04:24 PM
What's his contract status? Wonder what the new boss in OAK does with his future. He must have a big cap number, I'm sure they'd like to keep him but at what cost? If they like Taiwan Jones enough they may want to look at trading him for draft picks.

Abaddon
12-18-2011, 04:41 PM
What's his contract status? Wonder what the new boss in OAK does with his future. He must have a big cap number, I'm sure they'd like to keep him but at what cost? If they like Taiwan Jones enough they may want to look at trading him for draft picks.

RBs have next to no trade value. RBs who have never played 16 consecutive games? No one's trading anything of value for McFadden.

He has a year left. Bush is a FA after this year. Jones can't get on the field.

RB is apparently a significant need in Oakland, along with most every other position.

CC.SD
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Same thing Gates has been dealing with forever

RCAChainGang
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Michael Bush hasn't been too bad has he?

LonghornsLegend
12-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Sucks, he was tearing the season up before this hobbled him, need to see him put 1 full season together but talent wise he's about as good as it gets at RB.

MetSox17
12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Must have been something in the water at Arky, neither him or Felix can stay healthy.