PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Soaring, will the sneak in?

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Watching the ESPN shows this morning, Mike & Mike, and First Take, they've had some stirring debates about the NFC East and the Eagles chances.

Recapping:

Current standings:
Dallas 8-6
NY Giants 7-7
Philly 6-8

Week 16 games:
NYG vs NYJ
Phi @ Dallas

Week 17 games:
Dal @ NYG
Wash @ Phi

Philly is on a roll now, somehow, with Vick back.
Shady McCoy has 20 TDs, and that D-backfield seems to be gelling.
They crushed Dallas back at the end of October. That was their only good game really until this recent surge.

If Philly can beat Dallas this week, and the Jets beat the Giants (Jets are 3-point favs), it sets up a final week showdown in NY between the Cowboys & Giants. If the Giants win (and the Eagles beat Wash), then the Eagles win the division.

If Dallas wins, they're in.

This race, and the AFC West with a possible Orton @ Tebow week 17 showdown and Rivers @ Palmer showdown, are fantastic finishes.

If the chips fall right, and the Eagles fly in, can they make a run all the way like the #6 Packers did last season, and the Giants and Steelers did in the past few years?

killxswitch
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
If the Eagles get to the playoffs and go far after such a ****** season it will be quite a story. I don't think Dallas will lose both games though.

RCAChainGang
12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
This isn't as far-fetched as some would think. Philadelphia had Dallas' number in late October. I'm scared for Romo as he is my starting QB in fantasy and I really don't know wether I want to put him in for my championship.

I would predict the Cowboys will at least beat the Giants down the stretch so no I don't think they get in.

If the Eagles have all the cards fall in the right place then yes I think they have a legitimate shot at going on a tear and winning it all. We have seen it before with the Packers and unfortunately I remember the Steelers in '05. It just depends if they can stay healthy, and which Eagles team will come out to play? Their defense in particular has been up and down.

Jughead10
12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
If we lose to the Jets, I fully expect us to completely lay down for the Cowboys.

Sloopy
12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Yea, as much as this scenario seems like it could play out, I just don't see it happening. You are asking a team to lose to an average team one week but then come back and beat another average team the next.

To be honest, even if all of the other teams did their jobs, I could see the Eagles dropping the ball against the skins and wouldn't bat an eye

Jughead10
12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
If we lose to the Jets, I fully expect us to completely lay down for the Cowboys.

Actually I take that back. Somehow some way, we would still make the playoffs if we won that game and the Eagles los to the Skins.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
This isn't as far-fetched as some would think.
It's gonna be a fun 2 weeks, that's fa damnsho.
I love living in Dallas this week... looking forward to that Iggles-Cows game Saturday!

Are Eagle fans still calling for Reid's head now?

gpngc
12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
It would be wise to bet heavily on Philly this week at Dallas.

The Eagles are going to be huge Jets fans this week and then huge Giants fans in W17.

I would not be surprised AT ALL if NYJ beat NYG and NYG beat DAL in W17. If those two things happen, and Philly wins their last two (which they will if they play like they have the past two weeks), the Eagles will host a playoff game...

Breed
12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
So now you guys believe in The Dream Team?

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
the eagles are not making the playoffs. Dallas and New York will most likely be playing later than their scheduled 1 oclock game, eagles will be playing at 1 oclock definitely against the redskins. So this would give both teams an idea of their scenario.

1. If we win against the Jets, and Dallas wins against the eagles, the eagles don't make the playoffs.

2. If we win against the Jets, and Dallas loses against the eagles, the giants are 8-7 and eagles 7-8 entering the last game with the Cowboys being 8-7 as well.
a. Why would the Cowboys help on Philadelphia by playing? If they lose they likely better their draft position by a few places. There is no benefit to winning.

3. If we lose against the Jets, and Dallas wins against the eagles, the eagles are eliminated

4. If we lose against the Jets, and Dallas loses against the eagles, the Giants will be 7-8, Eagles 7-8, and Dallas 8-7.
a. Why would we help the Eagles by playing? Given our draft position we would probably land a pick 10-15 if we lost. Our intentions would also be to eliminate the team that has the most threat: the eagles. Because we don't want a team in our own division to win the superbowl obviously.

5. If the eagles win against the cowboys, but lose against the redskins, they are eliminated

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t10/DTS_013/newsoup.jpg

No playoffs for you

Paul
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure if NFCE is just highly competitive or if all four teams equally suck.

MetSox17
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM
If the Giants beat the Jets, we should just lay down against the Eagles, as that game will be completely meaningless.

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 04:10 PM
If the Giants beat the Jets, we should just lay down against the Eagles, as that game will be completely meaningless.

well the question is would dallas lay down against the giants if the eagles win against the redskins? because then they'd win out if you beat us and they beat the redskins. I think the cowboys would, with the exception of Ware who is chasing the sack record, because the eagles are clearly the more threatening team to win a superbowl.

Go_Eagles77
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
KX5jNnDMfxA

Rosebud
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Pretty much. At 7-8 our season's over and our soft team will absolutely quit on Fewell so unless Eli and JPP feel like beating Dallas by themselves again, I just can't see it happening.

JBCX
12-19-2011, 05:10 PM
There would be nothing better in the world than to see the Giants beat the Cowboys in Week 17 and by doing so let the Eagles into the playoffs. God bless Eli Manning and Jason Pierre Paul if that happens.

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
There would be nothing better in the world than to see the Giants beat the Cowboys in Week 17 and by doing so let the Eagles into the playoffs. God bless Eli Manning and Jason Pierre Paul if that happens.

yes because the giants WANT the eagles to make the playoffs? The giants are fully aware of draft position, they lost one game(on purpose) and landed a top 15 pick because of it, then proceeded to pick JPP.

The only way I can see it working out is if the eagles win against the Cowboys and giants beat the jets, and then the Cowboys do not lay down for us. Otherwise it will work out like I posted before. (Doubt that the game will stay at 1 oclock not only because of the matchup, but because of playoff implications)

JBCX
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
yes because the giants WANT the eagles to make the playoffs? The giants are fully aware of draft position, they lost one game(on purpose) and landed a top 15 pick because of it, then proceeded to pick JPP.

The only way I can see it working out is if the eagles win against the Cowboys and giants beat the jets, and then the Cowboys do not lay down for us. Otherwise it will work out like I posted before. (Doubt that the game will stay at 1 oclock not only because of the matchup, but because of playoff implications)

Despite what the fans think, a team is not going to "pack it in" just to spite a division rival. Players, as well as coaches, are playing for their jobs, and alot of players (especially guys like JPP and Eli) are playing for pride.

Especially when laying down to the Cowboys would ensure that the Cowboys earn a playoff spot. If you're the Giants, why would you gift the Cowboys a division title over the Eagles? They're both division rivals. Wouldn't they rather have a shot to spoil the Cowboys' season if they were given the opportunity to do so?

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Despite what the fans think, a team is not going to "pack it in" just to spite a division rival. Players, as well as coaches, are playing for their jobs, and alot of players (especially guys like JPP and Eli) are playing for pride.

do you want me to go out and find the games that I am talking about just as examples of the giants doing it? It doesn't matter whether the giants or dallas win in the circumstance that either don't enter the playoffs. Fewell is gone for the Giants, and Coughlin's stay right now is probably decided by whether the giants make the playoffs not if they win against the cowboys.

You honestly don't think teams do this? give me a break. Also spoiling the cowboys season and giving philadelphia a chance at a superbowl while losing maybe 5 places in draft position is counter productive. I'm sure both Dallas and the Giants realize that philly has a better shot at getting deep in the playoffs than either of us.

Edit: and in some instances, our defense has played to get our DC fired.

here is one of them:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010010307/2009/REG17/giants@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=recap

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
You guys are killing me...... this 2-week stretch for those 3 teams reminds me of a Battle Royale....

MetSox17
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I just want the Jets to win and for us to curb stomp the Eaglefags at home. Then it's all gravy and we can chill week 17 :D

Thecollegedropout
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Brian Schottenheimer vs Perry Fewell in a battle of "Who is gonna **** up more come Sunday"

Seriously Pierre Paul is going to have 3 sacks on that joke of a RT the Jets have in Wayne Hunter. And if Jake Ballard can hang onto the ball(Big if) he should get an over 100 yard day against the great Eric Smith.

People are salivating on seeing if Schottenheimer can somehow figure it out the secondary flaws in Fewell's defense.

Giantsfan1080
12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Brian Schottenheimer vs Perry Fewell in a battle of "Who is gonna **** up more come Sunday"

Seriously Pierre Paul is going to have 3 sacks on that joke of a RT the Jets have in Wayne Hunter. And if Jake Ballard can hang onto the ball(Big if) he should get an over 100 yard day against the great Eric Smith.

People are salivating on seeing if Schottenheimer can somehow figure it out the secondary flaws in Fewell's defense.

Ballard's already been ruled out with a PCL injury.

Canadian_draft_fan
12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
So now you guys believe in The Dream Team?
No (10 chars)

Thecollegedropout
12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Ballard's already been ruled out with a PCL injury.
Bend it like Travis Beckum will put on a 150 yard performance, maybe even Bear Pascoe will torch the mighty Jet safeties too.

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Pierre Paul plays RE, so he'll be on Ferguson unless Fewell decides to move him. Although Pierre Paul did play LE earlier in the season when Tuck was out and Osi was playing.

Eric Smith lives like 2 blocks from me, so I'll do my best to mess with him ;)

Complex
12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
the eagles are not making the playoffs. Dallas and New York will most likely be playing later than their scheduled 1 oclock game, eagles will be playing at 1 oclock definitely against the redskins. So this would give both teams an idea of their scenario.

Dallas and New York have a better chance at playing at 1est than the eagles. Why would they move back the Giants/Cowboys game? It's better for the league if the eagles game got pushed back that way the giants and cowboys are playing something. Instead of them laying down.

BaLLiN
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Dallas and New York have a better chance at playing at 1est than the eagles. Why would they move back the Giants/Cowboys game? It's better for the league if the eagles game got pushed back that way the giants and cowboys are playing something. Instead of them laying down.

One of the teams would be playing for something, the other wouldn't. Their matchup is usually later in the day despite what they are playing for. It would make 0 sense for the eagles to be moved back, and a matchup against the redskins is hardly something care about.

XxXdragonXxX
12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
These last 2 weeks are going to be exciting, The NFC West and NFC East have a combined 6 teams still mathematically in the playoff race, 3 of them coming back from terrible starts, needing to win out and needing a little help (and it's not far fetched help by any means.)

gpngc
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM

1. If we win against the Jets, and Dallas wins against the eagles, the eagles don't make the playoffs.

2. If we win against the Jets, and Dallas loses against the eagles, the giants are 8-7 and eagles 7-8 entering the last game with the Cowboys being 8-7 as well.
a. Why would the Cowboys help on Philadelphia by playing? If they lose they likely better their draft position by a few places. There is no benefit to winning.

3. If we lose against the Jets, and Dallas wins against the eagles, the eagles are eliminated

4. If we lose against the Jets, and Dallas loses against the eagles, the Giants will be 7-8, Eagles 7-8, and Dallas 8-7.
a. Why would we help the Eagles by playing? Given our draft position we would probably land a pick 10-15 if we lost. Our intentions would also be to eliminate the team that has the most threat: the eagles. Because we don't want a team in our own division to win the superbowl obviously.

5. If the eagles win against the cowboys, but lose against the redskins, they are eliminated

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t10/DTS_013/newsoup.jpg

No playoffs for you

There is no way you believe the Giants will purposely lose to the Cowboys. They would ABSOLUTELY take the opportunity to knock Dallas out of the playoffs. Teams don't tank games for draft position in the middle of the draft by letting a division rival make the playoffs on their home field.

The Giants intentions would be to SPOIL the Cowboys season, not ensure that Philly doesn't make it...

BaLLiN
12-20-2011, 01:32 AM
There is no way you believe the Giants will purposely lose to the Cowboys. They would ABSOLUTELY take the opportunity to knock Dallas out of the playoffs. Teams don't tank games for draft position in the middle of the draft by letting a division rival make the playoffs on their home field.

The Giants intentions would be to SPOIL the Cowboys season, not ensure that Philly doesn't make it...

Dude, we've layed down against competition before for better draft position. I already posted the link. The home field thing is brutal, but we've done this multiple times.

MidwayMonster31
12-20-2011, 01:42 AM
It's possible. It's only 2 more games. Dallas looked good against a Tampa team that's clearly quit, but beating the Eagles might be difficult, given that Michael Vick owned both the Ryans this season. I think the Eagles win next week, if there is anyone else who gets in their own way in the 4th quarter as much as the Cowboys, please introduce me to them.
I have no idea what to expect in the New York bowl. Both teams looked like **** last week. Both coaches won't have any of it, but I think the Jets will respond better.

gpngc
12-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Dude, we've layed down against competition before for better draft position. I already posted the link. The home field thing is brutal, but we've done this multiple times.

First of all, that link doesn't prove that the Giants lost on purpose.

Even if they did this is a completely different situation (should everything happen with NYJ and PHI)...

It would be Coughlin's last game at home against a huge rival that they ******* hate with a chance to knock them out of the playoffs and not go under .500. In a farewell atmosphere to a coach that led them through a pretty prosperous era. There is no ******* way they'd lose on purpose in that scenario lol.

Even besides that, teams LOVE to play spoiler - we see it every year - ESPECIALLY against division rivals. That Vikings game didn't mean anything for either team.

nepg
12-20-2011, 02:02 AM
I root for this mayhem!