View Full Version : Barkley to Return to USC

soybean
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
just announced...

It's NC or bust this year...

prock
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
WOWWWWWW

Did not see that coming. I hope it works out for him. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing him next year in the NFL.

boknows34
Number 1 pick in the 2013 draft.

DeepThreat
Why did you do this, Matt? You could have been a Brown!

soybean
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
RGIII gonna get PAIDDDDD.

Top 10 pick for sure now.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Why did you do this, Matt? You could have been a Brown!

You answered your own question sir.

dolphinfan2k5
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
This blows. **** this season.

ellsy82
http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33993454

Here's the link. Wow.

Babylon
Didn't criticise Locker when he decided to stay, just hope it works out for him. Barkley has to be the clear favorite to go #1 next year.

boknows34
12-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Top 5 I reckon. Maybe even top 3 with a team trading up (and the Rams moving down).

D-Unit
12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome for USC. Crappy for NFL teams looking for a QB.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 03:16 PM

I assume you think he's making a terrible decision like Locker did...

boknows34
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Thinking about the Rams sitting at #3 (assuming the Vikes take Matt Kalil). They could be offered a bounty of picks from a team looking to trade up for RG3 in what is now a two QB draft.

soybean
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Awesome for Robert Woods. first WR next year?

asdf1223
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I will be disappointed if people don't analyze Barkley's mental makeup and "love for the game" like they did when Locker went back.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Awesome for Robert Woods. first WR next year?

That was going to happen regardless.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
What does their football schedule look like next year? How strong will oregon be?

Leon Sandcastle
12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I think he has his heart in the right place. He's not staying in school to bang hot co-eds like Leinart did.

He really wants to play in a Bowl game, win a Heisman. He'll hurt his stock because he's a guaranteed Top 10 pick this year.

Another year of evaluation from the scouts could knock him down. I hope Griffin III and Landry Jones stay in school now too.

If the Bills can't get their Franchise QB then I don't want the Browns, Redskins or Dolphins getting theirs either.

DeepThreat
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Wasn't accidental, sir.

hawkeye123
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Barkley will have Woods, Lee, Prater, and Farmer as his main targets. He'll break records with that receiving core.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Wasn't accidental, sir.

O rly, sir.

keylime_5
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
RGIII you better declare now or I'm gonna be pissed. The Browns need you dammit!

kalbears13
12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
YOU COULD HAVE BEEN A CLEVELAND BROWN!!! :(((((((

...and now another year of awkward rooting for him and hating SC.....

god dammit I just realized that the entire population of southern california will be now jumping on the USC bandwagon...

RaiderNation
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
They and Oregon will battle for the Pac 12 title, and possibly the winner could be in the National Championship game. Barkley is the favorite to be the #1 pick in 2013.

DiG
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
damn that sucks for the skins. now its really rg3 or bust unless we unloaded a ton for luck which i doubt.

keylime_5
12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
damn that sucks for the skins. now its really rg3 or bust unless we unloaded a ton for luck which i doubt.

i actually think that Ryan Tannehill's best fit is in Washington with Shannahan. RGIII will probably be long gone by the time Washington picks. Heck, I could see Washington winning at least one more game this year.

Leon Sandcastle
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Redskins face the Vikings and Eagles to close out the season. They could at least finish 6-10 which would have them picking behind the Vikings, Rams, Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins and Bills.

Welcome to the Ryan Tannehill Era Redskins.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
RG3 will be a top 3 pick.

DiG
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Redskins face the Vikings and Eagles to close out the season. They could at least finish 6-10 which would have them picking behind the Vikings, Rams, Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins and Bills.

Welcome to the Ryan Tannehill Era Redskins.

we wont beat the eagles. this weekends game against the vikings will really go a long way. if we lose out then we probably only have the browns to worry about. we should pick ahead of the bills and dolphins based on strength of schedule but if we beat the vikings then we are looking at picking in the 8-10 range. i definitely could see tannehill in rd 2 or maybe a trade into the late first but not in the top 10 even with barkley going back to school. wed package and move up for rg3 before we took tannehill in the top 10. pretty sure about that.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
So, we're just gonna sit up here and act like Barkley is no different than Mark Sanchez (skill wise)...

Ask yourself, would you draft Mark Sanchez higher than the 2nd round?

Be honest..

DraftSavant
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
So, we're just gonna sit up here and act like Barkley is no different than Mark Sanchez (skill wise)...

Be honest..

*whistles*

I will say, though, that Barkley's further along in the "craft" part of playing QB. Adjustments at the line, manipulating coverages with pump fakes and the like, and speeding up his game in the RZ.

To answer your question, a lot of people here really liked Sanchez. I think the word "charisma" was used about 4.5 billion times.

kalbears13
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Be honest..

I think Matt Barkley is way better than Sanchez. That's all I'll say.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
*whistles*

A lot of people here really liked Sanchez. That's all I'll say.

LOL! No lie.. I did too..but not as a 1st rounder. I would honestly draft Barkley in Round 2. Right now he doesn't have the wow factor nor elite talent. PLUS he crumbles in the clutch. AND their offense throws a lot of 5 yard and shorter passes.. If his deep ball improves and he becomes more decisive in the pocket...and takes more chances, then I'll move him into the latter stages of round 1. But right now, he's in the best possible situation for a college QB (as far as weapons is concerned)

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
I think Matt Barkley is way better than Sanchez. That's all I'll say.

How so? Please 'splain

Raiderz4Life
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
LOL as a 2nd rounder. Barkley was/is a sure fire top 5 pick.

Also, nobody should really be surprised with him staying at SC.

DraftSavant
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Ninja-edited you putas.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
LOL as a 2nd rounder. Barkley was/is a sure fire top 5 pick.

Also, nobody should really be surprised with him staying at SC.

Top 5?? Do you honestly see Top 5 Talent?

Babylon
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
What does their football schedule look like next year? How strong will oregon be?

Looks soft to me and the Oregon game is in L.A., so the stage is set for a big year.

prock
12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
How so? Please 'splain

Second round for Barkley? What makes other first round quarterbacks better than him as a prospect? Would you take Landry Jones round 1? RGIII? Tannehill? What about last year with any of the first rounders besides Newton?

ATLDirtyBirds
Honestly would have had him as my #4 QB this year. I like him, just don't love him.

DraftSavant
Top 5?? Do you honestly see Top 5 Talent?

People keep comparing him to Eli Manning. I keep saying I see Matt Hasselback (if things break right for him).

That's certainly not bad, Hasselback had a very good career. He was a top 10-ish QB for the prime of his career. However, he got excellent development from Holmgren and was never really the foundation for that offense.

And again, that's if things break right for him. I don't see a foundation player when I watch him. I see a guy who can be a very nice complimentary piece to a good offense with a strong running game.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Second round for Barkley? What makes other first round quarterbacks better than him as a prospect? Would you take Landry Jones round 1? RGIII? Tannehill? What about last year with any of the first rounders besides Newton?

YOU are better than Landry Jones right now...And I haven't seen you play.

I would only take Luck and RG3 as 1st round prospects.. but Barkley, Weeden, Foles, Tannehill, Moore (yep, THAT Moore - I love a QB that performs well in clutch situations) are 2nd round guys imho.

It goes (for me)

Luck
RG3
Weeden
Moore
Foles
Tannehill
Doritos
Vanilla Coke
SNES
Stale Milk Duds
Landry Jones

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
People keep comparing him to Eli Manning. I keep saying I see Matt Hasselback (if things break right for him).

That's certainly not bad, Hasselback had a very good career. He was a top 10-ish QB for the prime of his career. However, he got excellent development from Holmgren and was never really the foundation for that offense.

And again, that's if things break right for him. I don't see a foundation player when I watch him. I see a guy who can be a very nice complimentary piece to a good offense with a strong running game.

Dude.. I'd buy you a beer if your were closer to NYC.. THIS is what I've been saying too.. Barkley is a good player, but not Top 5.. And yep, Hasselbeck wasn't bad at all

WCH
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't have even considered it. I flat-out hated Gabbert and Locker as first-round prospects (although Locker, I'll admit, is showing a lot of promise this season). I had them as third round, developmental projects.

I also like the Hasselback comparison for Barkley. That's not a criticism, per se. I would use a top-10 pick on a player if I was convinced that he would be a Hasselbeck-level QB. He's a three-time Pro Bowler who took a team to the Super Bowl.

I like Barkley, I just don't see him being a top-5 QB in the NFL.

prock
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
YOU are better than Landry Jones right now...And I haven't seen you play.

I would only take Luck and RG3 as 1st round prospects.. but Barkley, Weeden, Foles, Tannehill, Moore (yep, THAT Moore - I love a QB that performs well in clutch situations) are 2nd round guys imho.

It goes (for me)

Luck
RG3
Weeden
Moore
Foles
Tannehill
Doritos
Vanilla Coke
SNES
Stale Milk Duds
Landry Jones

You would prefer the 28 year old rookie and the noodle arm low ceiling Kellen Moore over high potential guys like Foles and Tannehill?

Raiderz4Life
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
You would prefer the 28 year old rookie and the noodle arm low ceiling Kellen Moore over high potential guys like Foles and Tannehill?

Really questioning his knowledge right now.

Complex
12-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Was there any ever doubt about this? He would of probably been the 2nd QB taken regardless.

soybean
12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Was there any ever doubt about this? He would of probably been the 2nd QB taken regardless.

I think you just contradicted yourself o_O

Scott Wright
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Some thoughts on Barkley's decision:

* From a draft position and financial perspective it was a mistake. It will be very difficult for Barkley to have a better season than he just had. Just look at his stats and the way USC closed out their season. The fact that some were even debating whether Barkley was a better prospect than Andrew Luck, which is ludicrous, speaks volumes about how his stock plateaued.

* Let's say for arguments sake that Barkley would have been the #5 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. If he goes #1 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft it will net him an extra $2.5 million. However, if he slips to #10 overall it will cost him $7.5 million. Also, Barkley is wasting a year of earning potential and it's not like football players get to play for decades (unless you are Brett Favre).

* Barkley's game is ripe to be picked apart and overanalyzed. People are going to point out his lack of top physical tools and say he is a product of all the talent around him (best set of wideouts in the country, etc). Could be a Matt Leinart situation.

* Barkley isn't going to have the buzz a year from now. A was a big reason why Mark Sanchez was selected as early as he was. Sanchez struck while the iron was hot, Barkley did not.

* I know Robert Griffin III wants to return to school, but this is going to be too good of an opportunity to pass up in my opinion. Landry Jones may have to re-think his decision as well. This could also be huge for Ryan Tannehill.

* Fans of the Redskins, Dolphins, Browns and Seahawks should be very concerned.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Really questioning his knowledge right now.

Yep, and I stand by it.. Good QBs don't lose (Moore) and as far as Weeden, you have to like his skill set over Foles and Tannehill. Foles is Kyle Orton-type decent. Tannehill took a HUGE drop in my opinion this year because of how he performed in pressure situations during big games.

So, yep, I'll take Noodle-Arm Kellen Moore.. I'll put him in a system that suits his skill set. Straight West Coast offense. Classic West Coast too. I wouldn't have him in a Spread-type West Coast (Colt McCoy). At least I know he wouldn't crumble under pressure and wouldn't make dumb decisions with the football. Moore has OUTSTANDING football acumen & I.Q. and uses it in games... not chalkboard acumen & I.Q. like Gabbert & Ponder.

And honestly, the only thing knocking Weeden is his age as a rookie (although it shouldn't).

WCH
12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
* Barkley's game is ripe to be picked apart and overanalyzed. People are going to point out his lack of top physical tools and say he is a product of all the talent around him (best set of wideouts in the country, etc).

This could really hurt him. I've already read a few comments, from employed NFL scouts, questioning his measurables.

DraftSavant
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
This could really hurt him. I've already read a few comments from employed NFL scouts, where they question his measurables.

He's rated much higher in the draftnik community than the scout community.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
This could really hurt him. I've already read a few comments from employed NFL scouts, where they question his measurables.

Meh, I think that's blown out of proportion. Leinart came back and 'fell' but it's pretty clear now that he just wasn't very talented and chances are teams probably saw that when he was a junior. Locker came back, had a crappy senior year and was picked apart by fans and analysts and he still went 8th overall. Same could be said about Luck this year.

keylime_5
12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
* Fans of the Redskins, Dolphins, Browns and Seahawks should be very concerned.

If Griffin III comes out I won't be that concerned myself. Can't say the same for Redskins, Dolphins, etc. fans.

Babylon
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
He's rated much higher in the draftnik community than the scout community.

I don't think there is any evidence to support that. On the field i think Matt Barkley has a much better arm than most in the internet community think.

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 04:55 PM
If Griffin III comes out I won't be that concerned myself. Can't say the same for Redskins, Dolphins, etc. fans.

I don't think you can sit at 5 and expect him just to fall to you. Someone will want to move up.

Buc Baller12
12-22-2011, 04:56 PM
does this elevate landry jonesinto the top 10?

jrdrylie
12-22-2011, 04:57 PM
It goes (for me)

Luck
RG3
Weeden
Moore
Foles
Tannehill
Doritos
Vanilla Coke
SNES
Stale Milk Duds
Landry Jones

I wish you were the GM for a team in the NFL. That would guarantee a terrible team. Moore as a second rounder? He is a shorter, weaker armed, less athletic version of Colt McCoy. I will be shocked if he is taken before the 6th. Foles is a very poor man's Blaine Gabbert and Weeden is way too old. And even if he was 22, he still wouldn't be a first rounder. I can understand why a lot of people don't like Landry. But to put those guys above him is nuts.

As for Barkley, I think this gives USC a great chance to go to the NC game next year. Very early prediction is USC-Georgia. And it's going to be fun watching Barkley and Wilson compete for the top spot. This also makes it likelier that the Jaguars get Barkley which I would love.

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Next year has the potential to be both really good...and really weird.

This does hurt him a bit. I never really bought into Barkley as a top ten pick in this climate and I'm not sure I do next year either. He'll enter the year as the clear cut number one guy(assuming Griffin decides to come out), but he'll have to deal with guys who have better physical tools than him having potential breakout seasons and then doing what he didn't; strike while the irons hot.

Barkley's game is built on polish, not potential. Those guys have a tendency to be devalued as commodities the longer you have to look at them, with the rare exception of someone special like Luck. He is going to be murdered around here next year for his receivers and arm strength....and I don't think that those are totally unfair knocks. But ultimately, I can't see him dropping much lower than the 15-20 range. So if you thought he was a top five type pick this year, then yeah, he's taking a dive....but I'm really not sure how realistic that was in the first place. He would have been a fairly safe bet to go in the top ten overall, but it would have really come down to a coin flip and team to team thing between he and Griffin within those picks and it's not out of the question that he could have fallen a bit this year even.

Wilson and Bray are two guys I could see passing him assuming they have good years. Wilson is really under the radar as a prospect and is a lot more talented than people realize. The receivers he's throwing to right now are as good as a bunch as it gets in the country, but with the two biggest names from that group graduating, he'll have a real good chance to prove himself. Bray is probably the best pure thrower of the football in the past few draft classes. There's concerns about his weight, but his arm strength, mechanics, and overall feel for the pro-style passing game are top notch. He needs to have a big year and stay healthy, but out of all the guys available next year, I would bet on him having the best NFL career. He's a potential franchise quarterback...and I mean that in the top 10 quarterback/playoff contender year in year out kind of way, not the "he could start on most teams" definition we seem to go by these days.

Babylon
12-22-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm not big on a guy seeing his stock soar because someone else decided to stay in school. That being said i think Landry Jones was probably always going to attract interest from teams like Washington and Seattle. Wherever those two end up picking is probably where Landry will go.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I wish you were the GM for a team in the NFL. That would guarantee a terrible team. Moore as a second rounder? He is a shorter, weaker armed, less athletic version of Colt McCoy. I will be shocked if he is taken before the 6th. Foles is a very poor man's Blaine Gabbert and Weeden is way too old. And even if he was 22, he still wouldn't be a first rounder. I can understand why a lot of people don't like Landry. But to put those guys above him is nuts.

As for Barkley, I think this gives USC a great chance to go to the NC game next year. Very early prediction is USC-Georgia. And it's going to be fun watching Barkley and Wilson compete for the top spot. This also makes it likelier that the Jaguars get Barkley which I would love.

I would be a Horrible GM but you would take Landry Jones over all of those QBs?

Child Please...

Oh.. and if you watched film, you'd see that Wilson bails the pocket way too quick and Barkley throws 75 percent to the flats and underneath.. You can get QBs like that anywhere. I would rank Wilson over Barkley because of his skill set. Wilson is a slightly better version of Chad Henne.

jrdrylie
12-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Bray does look excellent but can someone take him to an All You Can Eat Buffet? He's 6'6" and looks like he weighed 145 pounds.

jrdrylie
12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I would be a Horrible GM but you would take Landry Jones over all of those QBs?

Child Please...

Oh.. and if you watched film, you'd see that Wilson bails the pocket way too quick and Barkley throws 75 percent to the flats and underneath.. You can get QBs like that anywhere. I would rank Wilson over Barkley because of his skill set. Wilson is a slightly better version of Chad Henne.

I didn't say I would take Jones over Luck and or Griffin. I would have him around where Tannehill ranks, early second round. I like Foles more than most, but I still think he needs a few years of sitting if he is ever going to be a starter. I'm not saying Jones is great, but he is leaps and bounds better than a 28 year old rookie and a guy who will be the shortest QB in the league while also having the weakest arm.

keylime_5
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't think you can sit at 5 and expect him just to fall to you. Someone will want to move up.

I expect Jacksonville beats Indy and we lose out, so we'd be sitting at 4. If the Browns really wanted him I'm sure it would be a lot easier for them to get him than Washington or Miami who would not only have to jump into the 2 or 3 slot while the Browns would only have to move up one or two spots or just sit pretty and let him fall to them.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I didn't say I would take Jones over Luck and or Griffin. I would have him around where Tannehill ranks, early second round. I like Foles more than most, but I still think he needs a few years of sitting if he is ever going to be a starter. I'm not saying Jones is great, but he is leaps and bounds better than a 28 year old rookie and a guy who will be the shortest QB in the league while also having the weakest arm.

I can't trust Tannehill and Jones.. Have you seen both these guys this year in their biggest games? Folded up like a lawn chair..

Jones in NOT better than Weeden..younger YES, but better NO way. I'd like my chances with Chase Daniel over Trent Edwards any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I judge QBs on how they perform in pressure situations.. Yes skill set is important, but its not the end all be all.. As a coach, its your job to put him in situations that fit what he does best.

With that said, there's nothing you can do as a coach to fix a guy like Gabbert (can't coach scariness out of someone), Jones (Horrible decision making at crucial times), Tannehill (Bird-dogging WRs).. it goes against what they do naturally.

DraftSavant
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Next year has the potential to be both really good...and really weird.

This does hurt him a bit. I never really bought into Barkley as a top ten pick in this climate and I'm not sure I do next year either. He'll enter the year as the clear cut number one guy(assuming Griffin decides to come out), but he'll have to deal with guys who have better physical tools than him having potential breakout seasons and then doing what he didn't; strike while the irons hot.

Barkley's game is built on polish, not potential. Those guys have a tendency to be devalued as commodities the longer you have to look at them, with the rare exception of someone special like Luck. He is going to be murdered around here next year for his receivers and arm strength....and I don't think that those are totally unfair knocks. But ultimately, I can't see him dropping much lower than the 15-20 range. So if you thought he was a top five type pick this year, then yeah, he's taking a dive....but I'm really not sure how realistic that was in the first place. He would have been a fairly safe bet to go in the top ten overall, but it would have really come down to a coin flip and team to team thing between he and Griffin within those picks and it's not out of the question that he could have fallen a bit this year even.

Wilson and Bray are two guys I could see passing him assuming they have good years. Wilson is really under the radar as a prospect and is a lot more talented than people realize. The receivers he's throwing to right now are as good as a bunch as it gets in the country, but with the two biggest names from that group graduating, he'll have a real good chance to prove himself. Bray is probably the best pure thrower of the football in the past few draft classes. There's concerns about his weight, but his arm strength, mechanics, and overall feel for the pro-style passing game are top notch. He needs to have a big year and stay healthy, but out of all the guys available next year, I would bet on him having the best NFL career. He's a potential franchise quarterback...and I mean that in the top 10 quarterback/playoff contender year in year out kind of way, not the "he could start on most teams" definition we seem to go by these days.

Duuuude...don't even get me started on this.

descendency
12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Why would a second round QB go into the top 10 when another one doesn't declare?

TACKLE
12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Why would a second round QB go into the top 10 when another one doesn't declare?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cDALb7kqTaU/Tr4hEEe7EmI/AAAAAAAAYuQ/hnMxJvLU97I/s1600/Blaine_Gabbert_0002.jpg

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Blaine Gabbert went top ten. Stranger things have happened. I doubt Landry goes much higher than #20 though. I don't think anyone really likes the guy anymore, but someone is going to take him in that range because of his size, arm, and experience. Doesn't make it right....but I would be very surprised if someone doesn't talk themselves into it.

jrdrylie
12-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree with you on Weeden. If he was 22, I think he would be in the second round mix. But he isn't and for that reason, you have to drop him. And I would argue that players can be coached to make better decsions. Just look at Cutler. He was known for being very turnover prone, especially in the red zone. But he has been getting progressively better at making decisions.

Rashaan Salaam
12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I agree with you on Weeden. If he was 22, I think he would be in the second round mix. But he isn't and for that reason, you have to drop him. And I would argue that players can be coached to make better decsions. Just look at Cutler. He was known for being very turnover prone, especially in the red zone. But he has been getting progressively better at making decisions.

Agree with you on Cutler...but you have to admit, that his OL protection had gotten better. He was a better QB in Denver imho.

OSUGiants17
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Saw this coming. He has a ton of returning offensive talent, a shot at a bowl, the Heisman and a #1 pick next year, no way he left to be 2nd fiddle to Luck and compared to him his whole career.

soybean
12-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Saw this coming. He has a ton of returning offensive talent, a shot at a bowl, the Heisman and a #1 pick next year, no way he left to be 2nd fiddle to Luck and compared to him his whole career.

Thats actually a good point. Even now we find the need to keep comparing Eli, Rivers and Ben and those three only.

Then again some people could argue that a a more confident player wouldn't give a rats ass and work his ass off to be better than the consensus number 1.

A Perfect Score
12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I think he has his heart in the right place. He's not staying in school to bang hot co-eds like Leinart did.

He really wants to play in a Bowl game, win a Heisman. He'll hurt his stock because he's a guaranteed Top 10 pick this year.

Another year of evaluation from the scouts could knock him down. I hope Griffin III and Landry Jones stay in school now too.

If the Bills can't get their Franchise QB then I don't want the Browns, Redskins or Dolphins getting theirs either.

If there was ever a reason to stay at USC, this is it. I've no idea what you're talking about sir.

Still, I'm a little shocked. It's not often someone who is pretty close to a Top 8 lock chooses to go back to school, and it rarely works out for those who do. Guys like Leinart and Locker cost themselves arguably tens of millions of dollars by going back to school. Hopefully Barkley doesn't suffer the same fate.

jrdrylie
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
If there was ever a reason to stay at USC, this is it. I've no idea what you're talking about sir.

Still, I'm a little shocked. It's not often someone who is pretty close to a Top 8 lock chooses to go back to school, and it rarely works out for those who do. Guys like Leinart and Locker cost themselves arguably tens of millions of dollars by going back to school. Hopefully Barkley doesn't suffer the same fate.

In today's NFL, this isn't going to cost him. Gone are the days of top guys getting 40 million guaranteed. Newton only got around 22 million total. It may cost him a few millions, but not much even if he does drop. And if he does well and ends up as the top pick in 2013, he'll get at least 25 million. I view it as very low risk, high reward

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
I just hope we can avoid the ridiculousness of "He's really dumb!" or "I question his competitiveness". Never bought into that crap. Say what you will about Barkley the football player and his physical tools, but a guy who turns down the payday to go back to school and finish out what he started always gets ton of respect from me.

A Perfect Score
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I just hope we can avoid the ridiculousness of "He's really dumb!" or "I question his competitiveness". Never bought into that crap. Say what you will about Barkley the football player and his physical tools, but a guy who turns down the payday to go back to school and finish out what he started always gets ton of respect from me.

Funny, that's the argument I made for Locker last year...Who was I arguing against? Was that D-Unit?

Caulibflower
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM

If Weeden was 22, he'd be in the first round conversation.

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Funny, that's the argument I made for Locker last year...Who was I arguing against? Was that D-Unit?

Let's not name names...but I was right there with you on that one.

A Perfect Score
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Let's not name names...but I was right there with you on that one.

I remember a fairly vehement discourse on my part that suggested anyone calling a player going back to a fairly poor Washington program to help resurrect it was an absolute moron. As much as I think going back to school can oftentimes be a mistake, it certainly doesn't signal weakness of character or a lack of competitiveness to me.

SickwithIt1010
12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Im very happy as a USC fan, Im glad to see him finish what he started. He has gone through the lowest moment at SC and wants to bring him back to the top, that is awesome.

The kid is very loyal and that shows, part of me has always said he might go back because he wants to go number 1, and that wasnt likely this year with Luck. So on top of the fact he brings back a loaded SC squad and a chance at a title, he goes in as the clear favorite to go number 1. Its his to lose, basically.

gpngc
12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Seahawks fan perspective: This ******* sucks.

Bald_81
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM

The Skins will unload a ton for either Luck or Manning so there really is nothing to worry about.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
* Barkley's game is ripe to be picked apart and overanalyzed. People are going to point out his lack of top physical tools and say he is a product of all the talent around him (best set of wideouts in the country, etc). Could be a Matt Leinart situation.

* Barkley isn't going to have the buzz a year from now. A was a big reason why Mark Sanchez was selected as early as he was. Sanchez struck while the iron was hot, Barkley did not.

1) An if he went through the draft process now he wouldn't be picked apart and overanalyzed? Looks like you just did it right there.
2) If Barkley comes back to win a national championship and heisman he won't have buzz? Good one.

Cigaro
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Not sure I understand the 'people will analyze his physical weaknesses' argument next year. Why would they decide to be ignorant of them through this year's draft production? Obviously there's the risk of a poor or substandard season, but I don't see how he'd escape anymore nitpicking of his physical tools by declaring.

Caulibflower
12-22-2011, 08:08 PM
He's just as athletic as Sam Bradford, who managed to have about as bad a "go-back" season as you can have and still managed to go no. 1 overall. I don't think that's going to be the issue for Barkley.

descendency
12-22-2011, 08:09 PM
But the other QB in that draft class was Kimmy Clausen. . .

WCH
12-22-2011, 08:23 PM
In today's NFL, this isn't going to cost him. Gone are the days of top guys getting 40 million guaranteed. Newton only got around 22 million total. It may cost him a few millions, but not much even if he does drop. And if he does well and ends up as the top pick in 2013, he'll get at least 25 million. I view it as very low risk, high reward

We get lost in these numbers, and we might as well be talking about monopoly money. I have a wealthy uncle who lost "a lot of money" in a bad investment, and the percentages are on par with what we're talking about. My cousin tells me that it stung.

If you make a decision that costs you a few million dollars, then that's a pretty bad year. Unless you spend that year as a 22 year old local celebrity, partying and banging Hollywood girls. Then it's a good year, and I've never really faulted Leinart for making that choice.

Sloopy
12-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Called this awhile ago, good decision here.

The guy might be looking at the #3 QB slot this year but will most likely be the #1 next year. He has a great shot at the title and it is unlikely he will have a bad season with that team.

I don't get why people say he will be overanalyzed with another year. Why would the argument of the talent around him apply next year but not this year? Why would you not question his physical tools this year? These kinds of things seem overrated to me.

I do see the argument of star power but I would argue that in Barkley's case, next year would be his star power year. Right now he is being bumped out of the spotlight by Luck and RGIII but a chase for the NC game next year and Heisman candidacy will likely being him to the forefront. This year is more like his on deck year if anything

WCH
12-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't get why people say he will be overanalyzed with another year. Why would the argument of the talent around him apply next year but not this year? Why would you not question his physical tools this year? These kinds of things seem overrated to me.

This is speculation on my part, but I think that the risk with coming back is that you give scouts an extra year and roughly 350-450 more passing plays to confirm their concerns/biases against you.

Sloopy
12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
This is speculation on my part, but I think that the risk with coming back is that you give scouts an extra year and roughly 350-450 more passing plays to confirm their concerns/biases against you.

This is true but I think it is more risky for guys like Locker who weren't playing on a team who will mask those shortcomings. This is also a knock against him (the team) but it inevitably helps him as well. It would be hard to knock a guy in the Heisman race (He will be a favorite) and who is leading his team in a race for the NC

yupyup
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM

This made my night.

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
This is true but I think it is more risky for guys like Locker who weren't playing on a team who will mask those shortcomings. This is also a knock against him (the team) but it inevitably helps him as well. It would be hard to knock a guy in the Heisman race (He will be a favorite) and who is leading his team in a race for the NC

Not really. It happened with Leinart, and I'm almost willing to guarantee it will happen with Barkley. Shiny new toy syndrome might not be fair, both in terms of having "breakout seasons" and prospects becoming less new and interesting, but we'v seen it happen before. The same knocks to Barkley that will be levied at him next year could just as easily be levied at him this year, but he's already done near all he can as an individual. The stuff USC does next year as a team(and they have a good chance at getting to the title game) shouldn't factor into his evaluation. So he's really just giving people who don't like him more information to make their decision. That type of thing has hurt nearly everyone, with the exception of Luck...and you could argue that Luck coming back to an offense that couldn't move the ball vertically diminished some of the buzz he had about him as well.

SickwithIt1010
12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Not really. It happened with Leinart, and I'm almost willing to guarantee it will happen with Barkley. Shiny new toy syndrome might not be fair, both in terms of having "breakout seasons" and prospects becoming less new and interesting, but we'v seen it happen before. The same knocks to Barkley that will be levied at him next year could just as easily be levied at him this year, but he's already done near all he can as an individual. The stuff USC does next year as a team(and they have a good chance at getting to the title game) shouldn't factor into his evaluation. So he's really just giving people who don't like him more information to make their decision. That type of thing has hurt nearly everyone, with the exception of Luck...and you could argue that Luck coming back to an offense that couldn't move the ball vertically diminished some of the buzz he had about him as well.

Who is anyone to say that Leinart would have gone number 1 that year. I remember much of that buzz being that Carroll might take the 9ers job and he would take Leinart with his pick. The guy just didnt want it like Barkley does. Leinart went back to SC for the wrong reasons, you can tell Barkley is going back with the intentions of winning, and improving his play....hes not going back to get laid every night.

I think Bark wants to be the number 1 pick, but I dont think he will be heartbroken if he doesnt. He doesnt seem to care about the money...hes going to get his chance regardless.

Sloopy
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Seeing him in a big post season game and possibly being one of the best players in the country next year couldn't help his stock? As of right now he isn't even the #1 at his position in fact he is arguably the #3 at his position right now in the country.

I definitely think that there are things he can do to improve his stock and the comparison to Leinart isn't accurate. Leinart went back to party, this kid is going back to win for his team. I personally find that admirable. I mean this kid could have easily transfered after the sanctions but decided to stick with USC, in part I believe, so that they would be in a position to win the NC game in his senior year. This shows dedication and a good sense of values on his part

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
It's not 100% certain that Leinart would have gone number one that year...but it's certainly approaching that point. He certainly would have gone higher than he did when he came back. Little doubt in my mind about that when you see how that board broke and what people thought of Leinart at that time.

...and that's all well and good about Matt Leinart going back to school for the wrong reasons and generally being a douche...don't get me wrong. I get that. Barkley isn't Leinart personality wise and that's part of his strength as a prospect...but it has little to do with the fact he's going to have his game picked apart. I admire the fact he's staying, even. He's doing right by USC and you guys should absolutely be thrilled that the guy cares that much about competing for a BCS game and leaving the program in a better place than when he started. That's exactly what you want if you're looking for a quarterback....but you hear already that a lot of people don't like his physical skills. That's not going to change. Another year of tape is just going to make people more vocal about it and end up hurting Barkley.

I still like him a ton as a prospect, but I think his ceiling is limited. I don't see a guy who has the ability to carry a franchise. That doesn't mean he isn't worth a first round pick or doesn't have a chance to have a productive career with playoff appearances, but I would absolutely have pause taking him #1 overall if I think there's a guy with more upside than he has.

ElectricEye
12-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Seeing him in a big post season game and possibly being one of the best players in the country next year couldn't help his stock? As of right now he isn't even the #1 at his position in fact he is arguably the #3 at his position right now in the country.
Tyler Wilson is a lot closer to Barkley than people seem to realize right now. He'll have to fight him off at the start of next year and throughout...and have to deal with Bray, who possesses more talent than either of them, poised to have a great year. Team success could help him a bit, but it really shouldn't. At the end of the day, it's about his skill level versus the rest of the field. He's a very refined guy, but people are already talking about his upside being potentially limited and that's only going to get worse. He's a lock first round pick either way, but I'm not sure he's a slam dunk top ten pick this year or next.

Sloopy
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Tyler Wilson is a lot closer to Barkley than people seem to realize right now. He'll have to fight him off at the start of next year and throughout...and have to deal with Bray, who possesses more talent than either of them, poised to have a great year. Team success could help him a bit, but it really shouldn't. At the end of the day, it's about his skill level versus the rest of the field. He's a very refined guy, but people are already talking about his upside being potentially limited and that's only going to get worse. He's a lock first round pick either way, but I'm not sure he's a slam dunk top ten pick this year or next.

Tyler Wilson is definitely close (I love him) but some of the same analyzation will affect him as well.

I think that worst case scenario he isn't going to be any worse off than if he came out this year (#3) and he will have achieved his goal of a NC in his senior year.

benchod
12-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Just to throw a bone in the "over-analyzed" argument.

Matt Leinart is usually named as the prime example, but to play devil's advocate, the draft order and the needs of the teams usually comes into play too.

The big key for the coming years is now how willing teams are to trade up. Its much cheaper financially to move up, so you may actually have more movement. This time next year, everyone will bring up Pete Carroll doing some funky business to try to trade up to get Barkley...

hockey619
12-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Matt Leinart is usually named as the prime example, but to play devil's advocate, the draft order and the needs of the teams usually comes into play too.

The big key for the coming years is now how willing teams are to trade up. Its much cheaper financially to move up, so you may actually have more movement. This time next year, everyone will bring up Pete Carroll doing some funky business to try to trade up to get Barkley...

also of relevance: which teams will give up on their current franchise hopefuls and be ready to move on?

will bradford fall apart and put the rams at the top looking for a new guy? its things like that that seem far fetched but could come to pass and shake up draft needs.

Razor
12-22-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that Carroll can trade down and still get Barkley next year.

Smash28Dash34
12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I wonder if he will try to get Kalil to stay now that he is staying.

49erNation85
12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I saw this coming all season long after the Stanford game.He has got the "IT" factor for a QB and was fun to watch vs Oregon as well as Stanford games. I'm sure they will have a good chance to roll the table next season and be a top 5 team again. They just can't fold under pressure and lose out like they did in Stanford. I just wish SF could land a QB like him and it would really take off our offense in storm.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Guy I trust on this type of thing is suggesting that Barkley may have gotten Locker'd by the Advisory Committee

Of course, they were probably wrong about Locker given what happened the following year...

Babylon
12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Guy I trust on this type of thing is suggesting that Barkley may have gotten Locker'd by the Advisory Committee

Of course, they were probably wrong about Locker given what happened the following year...

Locker said he was staying before he got anything from the draft advisory board, for what it's worth.

kalbears13
12-23-2011, 02:11 AM
I think if you were to go into the future and tell Matt Barkley that he was going to lose x amount of $ from not declaring, he wouldn't change a thing.

Comparing Sanchez to Barkley is kinda ridiculous. Sanchez was a one year wonder while Barkley has had 3 solid years to back it up.

TailbackU
12-23-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm a USC fan so obviously I'm biased, but I still think he made the best decision for him.

He has a real legitimate shot at winning a Championship next year and opportunities like that are pretty rare. Who knows if he'll ever have as good an opportunity again. There's a lot more talented QBs than him who have played in the NFL and never come close to winning a Championship. Carson Palmer came out of SC as a far more physically gifted QB and 9 years on he still hasn't even won a single playoff game. Even if Matt does turn into a stud NFL QB, there's still no guarantee he'll sniff a Championship (see Dan Marino). There's so much more that goes into winning a Championship in the NFL than how talented you are. You need great pieces around you, great coaching and a lot of luck.

Matt never won a State Championship in high school, and in college, the only bowl game he ever played in was the Emerald Bowl his freshman year. This next year could be his first and quite possibly, his only, real legitimate shot at winning a Championship. And as great as money is, when his football career's over I'm sure its the Championships and the great memories they create that will mean way more to him than how much money he has in his bank account.

He'll go high enough in the draft next year that he will be financially secure for life. Why not chase something that no amount of money can ever buy?

TailbackU
12-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Also as far a losing a year of earning potential that's true, but Matt can make back a lot of that money in marketing dollars next year.

He plays in the second biggest market in the U.S. and with him deciding to come back for his senior year, many are already calling him the greatest Trojan ever. That's a pretty huge deal in the LA market.

He's also now the favorite to win the Heisman trophy. Having Heisman Trophy Winner next to his name will increase his marketabily immensely. As will being the #1 overall draft pick, which he at least now has the chance of being with Luck out of the picture.

Matt will be fine from a financial standpoint, and if he takes care of business on the field, he may actually make more money by staying this extra year.

FUNBUNCHER
12-23-2011, 04:19 AM
There are guys coming out in 2013 whose physical tools and ability to flat out spin the football are going to take some of the shine off Barkley's pro prospects.

Mike Glennon is already being called 'Matt Ryan with an elite arm' at NC State.
Casual fans forget that Tyler Bray was hurt for much of last season and would have had a career year if he played the entire year.(BTW I think Bray stays all four years.)

Geno Smith is poised to have a RGIII type breakout season.

And Tyler Wilson is being called potentially a better pro prospect on the field than Ryan Mallett.

We still don't know if Robert Griffin is going back to Baylor(!).

When it's all said and done, Barkley may still end up being the 3rd QB off the board when he declares.

Barkley was never this scary elite type NFL prospect anyway.
He was a 'safe', polished prospect who you felt understood the position and did all those little things right from the pocket.

Wish I could project the NFL teams picking at the top of the 2013 draft.

descendency
12-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Bray would be stupid to declare early considering his 6'6" frame with ~200 pound frame. I think him and I are around the same size, despite him being 6 inches taller and I'm pretty frail (in football terms)

deepthoughtlife
12-23-2011, 04:53 AM
As a USC fan, I'm glad he is coming back, but I do think it is a mistake. With half decent planning, the first contract for an early pick can still make you set for life, and you never know what is going to happen in a year; I certainly worry about my own financial fate. He isn't going to lose any money long term by going back, most likely, but that qualifier is important. Winning a national championship is a nice and laudable goal, but if he'd asked me, I would have told him to go pro.

This is excellent news for the QBs that are entering the draft, since there is one fewer great one to go around, and no shortage of teams desperate to have one. This makes a run vastly more likely.

Unlike some of the other people in this thread appear to think, Barkley isn't some high floor, low ceiling kind of a guy. His floor is high, but his ceiling is very high. It is impossible to truly tell at this point, but Barkley has a very legitimate possibility of being the best QB in the NFL someday.

Of course, even getting back their best player doesn't mean it will be easy for USC to win the title -there will be a lot of excellent teams in their way. His return could very well end up being for naught. Still, the will displayed is admirable. Even ignoring that I like USC, I hope he gets what he came back for.

Zycho32
12-23-2011, 05:19 AM
...is it just me, or is every Junior Year QB with 1st Round projections who elects to remain in school for their Senior Year ritualistically raked over the coals by the skeptics?

Seeing Scotty's analysis of the Barkley Decision is practically point for point what was being said about Jake Locker last year, and probably the same for Matt Leinart too. The arguments deriding the decision may as well become the cliche bukkake of Draft Pick analysis. If another QB in future years fits that particular criteria to a 'T', you can expect the very same arguments to be re-hashed.

WCH
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Seeing Scotty's analysis of the Barkley Decision is practically point for point what was being said about Jake Locker last year, and probably the same for Matt Leinart too. The arguments deriding the decision may as well become the cliche bukkake of Draft Pick analysis. If another QB in future years fits that particular criteria to a 'T', you can expect the very same arguments to be re-hashed.

They were the same for Brian Brohm, also. The thing with Brohm is, he did get exposed his senior year, plunge to the second round, get cut, and end up out of the NFL within a few years. Brohm never made the money that he would have been given as even a top-25 pick, and he will have to find a job after football.

So it doesn't always work out like it did for Locker.

KLima878
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Glad to hear is is staying. If Gabbart doesn't show any signs of major improvement next year, I'd love to see him taken by the Jags next year.

Iamcanadian
12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I will be disappointed if people don't analyze Barkley's mental makeup and "love for the game" like they did when Locker went back.

I totally agree, what separates the Rodgers, Petyon, Brady and Brees from the pack, their total commitment to be the best they can be and they bring a mental toughness to the playing field that is unmatched in the NFL. They put 110% into the game of football if not more.

Barkley's decision to return to school is going to be questioned by every GM in the pro football business, they will question his commitment to the game, his determination to be the best, and his mental toughness.

If we look at the QB's who returned to school, we find Leinart, Bradford and Locker, all pretty high draft picks, but in my opinion, all 3 appear to lack the dedication and mental toughness to be the best and I really question their commitment to pro football.

Barkley, will be a high first rounder but I doubt any solid GM would now take him in the draft. Fortunately, for Barkley, there are plenty of mediocre GM's and owners who will take the gamble.

4U2NV
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Not surprised at all. Every year seems to have a top ranked QB decide to stay and this year was going to be no different. Barkley seemed like the most likely to stay. USC has to be considered a contender for the national championship next year. Sucks for the Dolphins but I was/am still hoping for RG3 over Barkley anyway.

WCH
12-23-2011, 11:18 AM
If we look at the QB's who returned to school, we find Leinart, Bradford and Locker, all pretty high draft picks, but in my opinion, all 3 appear to lack the dedication and mental toughness to be the best and I really question their commitment to pro football.

Peyton Manning decided to return to school, reportedly after Drew Bledsoe warned him that it sucks being a QB for Bill Parcells. When Peyton announced that he would return for his senior year, Parcells was supposedly outraged and he wound up trading the pick.

Iamcanadian
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Peyton Manning decided to return to school, reportedly after Drew Bledsoe warned him that it sucks being a QB for Bill Parcells. When Peyton announced that he would return for his senior year, Parcells was supposedly outraged and he wound up trading the pick.

When Peyton was drafted, over 95% of QB's waited till their senior year before entering the draft. What he did was considered by the pros to be the proper way to prepare for the NFL and almost all followed that route.

Today, it is a totally different world, where a Barkley stands out by returning to school, it is no longer the guaranteed route for NFL success like it was when Manning returned to school. So I don't think their decisions can be compared.

San Diego Chicken
12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
People are really selling Barkley short considering he outplayed Andrew Luck this season. He's a really really talented guy. Too many people associate QB "talent" with "can throw the ball through a brick wall". He's really good and the best Trojan QB prospect since Palmer.

DraftSavant
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
People are really selling Barkley short considering he outplayed Andrew Luck this season. He's a really really talented guy. Too many people associate QB "talent" with "can throw the ball through a brick wall". He's really good and the best Trojan QB prospect since Palmer.

Some people focus too much on skillset, others focus too much on narrative.

"He's the best Trojan QB since Palmer; he outplayed Andrew Luck this season." What does that really even mean? It's narrative - white noise.

San Diego Chicken
12-23-2011, 11:47 AM

"He's the best Trojan QB since Palmer; he outplayed Andrew Luck this season." What does that really even mean? It's narrative - white noise.

Best Trojan QB prospect IMO since Palmer (#1), so better than Sanchez (#5) and Leinart (#10). That's one thing to take from that bit.

FUNBUNCHER
12-23-2011, 12:13 PM
It sucks for someone following the draft or a random fan scouting prospects, but part of me still thinks most NFL GMs would prefer QB prospects to stay in college all four years instead of coming out early.

The future HOF QBs currently playing in the NFL - take your pick - are all four year guys.
You simply can't replicate the reps of live game action in a 7 on 7 drill or a scrimmage.
The more snaps a college QB can take in meaningful games, the better he's going to be at the next level.

Football isn't like basketball; there's really no equivalent in football to a shooting guard taking a thousand jump shots alone on a basketball court.
To get better as a football player, you need to PLAY.

Barkley will be better simply because of the fact he's going to be playing under more scrutiny and more pressure next season, and if the Trojans make it to the NC game Matt will probably face an SEC defense with pro caliber talent lined up across from him.

I think we all make a mistake in projecting true junior QBs into the draft.

IMO a guy like RGIII is different.

Griffin has been in college four years and was penciled in as the starter at the beginning of every season. I don't think his draft stock will suffer that much although I think he has a shot to be the 2nd QB drafted this year.

Griff had a good season in '10 and an all-world season in '11. If he stays I think he plays somewhere between those two.
RGIII IMO risks injury more than Barkley because of his playing style, and he's going to miss like hell Ganaway and Wright.

RGIII paid his dues to Baylor, made history for that program and has already completed his undergrad degree.
There's no reason for him to return back to that program.

FUNBUNCHER
12-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Best Trojan QB prospect IMO since Palmer (#1), so better than Sanchez (#5) and Leinart (#10). That's one thing to take from that bit.

If you forget Leinart's non-existent pro career, I'd rank Barkley above Sanchez but below Leinart and Palmer as a pro prospect.

I have yet to see how Barkley plays against a truly elite football team. Stanford and Oregon don't count.

I saw Leinart ball out as a RS sophomore against an Auburn team at home in Birmingham that would finish undefeated in the SEC on season later. And I saw him go blow for blow with a Longhorns squad that had future pros at every position in the secondary.
As a junior, Leinart and the Trojans raped an undefeated Sooners team in the Rose Bowl, a game in which Leinart threw 5 TDs.

Leinart IMO was the most clutch football player on those Trojan teams and the one player they could least afford to lose.

Barkley has nice stats, but IMO he lacks a signature win.
Leinart beat equally talented, elite football teams during his USC career.
So far Barkley hasn't.

San Diego Chicken
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM
If you forget Leinart's non-existent pro career, I'd rank Barkley above Sanchez but below Leinart and Palmer as a pro prospect.

I have yet to see how Barkley plays against a truly elite football team. Stanford and Oregon don't count.

I saw Leinart ball out as a RS sophomore against an Auburn team at home in Birmingham that would finish undefeated in the SEC on season later. And I saw him go blow for blow with a Longhorns squad that had future pros at every position in the secondary.
As a junior, Leinart and the Trojans raped an undefeated Sooners team in the Rose Bowl, a game in which Leinart threw 5 TDs.

Leinart IMO was the most clutch football player on those Trojan teams and the one player they could least afford to lose.

Barkley has nice stats, but IMO he lacks a signature win.
Leinart beat equally talented, elite football team during his USC career.
So far Barkley hasn't.

Barkley lead a game winning drive at Ohio State as a freshman. Won at Oregon this year (not sure why that doesn't count).

kalbears13
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

Exactly!! THANK YOU!! Who gives half a flying duck about stories. "USC vs. Stanford" is way different than "Andrew Luck vs. Matt Barkley" even though they played each other, it doesn't mean that they played the same defenses in the game and had the same surrounding talent.

I hate USC but I must say, Matt Barkley is a winner that can actually play the quarterback position. He's extremely dedicated and loyal to his team and teammates. I don't know if everyone remembers him graduating early from Mater Dei to enroll early at USC and practice in the spring with the team before his freshman year. He flat out won the starting job over Mustain and Corp, and despite being a freshman, did a very good job. He rarely makes poor decisions, is very accurate and flat out plays. Although his stats were sub-par his senior year in high school due to a lack of support, I don't see his play declining at USC. He WILL put up better numbers than he did this year and will be picked #1 overall...

...Hopefully by the Browns.

J-Mike88
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I think Barkley is making a tremendous mistake. There's always a risk of a serious injury, on any play.
There's also a risk of scouts and GM's picking him apart, finding flaws that aren't really there.
Whether it's a la Leinart, Brady Quinn, or Brian Brohm for example. Those guy's all had their stocks peak a year before they were in the draft.

A small part of me admires Barkley for staying, and staying loyal to the school (unlike 95% of basketball players).

But most of me thinks he's foolish, and scared to enter the real world, and is choosing the easy way out.... again, the college life, especially at SoCal, that's hard to walk away from. What hetero dude wants to leave that?

But they never mention that part when they say they're staying. I'd love to hear someone say it!

College: An educational institution or a constituent part of an educational institution. Usage of the word college varies in English-speaking nations. A college may be a degree-awarding tertiary educational institution, an institution within a federal university, an institution offering vocational education, or a secondary school.

The main purpose of is to better a person's chance of obtaining a better job upon exiting college, whether with an associate's, bachelor's, masters, PhD, or doctorate degree.

kalbears13
12-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I think Barkley is making a tremendous mistake. There's always a risk of a serious injury, on any play.
There's also a risk of scouts and GM's picking him apart, finding flaws that aren't really there.
Whether it's a la Leinart, Brady Quinn, or Brian Brohm for example. Those guy's all had their stocks peak a year before they were in the draft.

A small part of me admires Barkley for staying, and staying loyal to the school (unlike 95% of basketball players).

But most of me thinks he's foolish, and scared to enter the real world, and is choosing the easy way out.... again, the college life, especially at SoCal, that's hard to walk away from. What hetero dude wants to leave that?

But they never mention that part when they say they're staying. I'd love to hear someone say it!

Matt Barkley isn't doing it for the easy way out. He went to Mater Dei, probably the most competitive football school in Southern California, then he went to USC, the best football school in the nation at the time. He's going to prove he's the best. His family is plenty wealthy, they live in Newport Beach. If he has a career ending injury he won't be begging for money on the streets.

soybean
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM

There's actually an insurance policy college athletes can take.

Luck signed a small one this past year think it was like 5 million dollars coverage. (chump change to what he could have made in the nfl) but there's different levels depending on how much you invest.

D-Unit
12-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Barkley will have a chance to complete his college career as one of the greatest QBs to come out of that school. Now that their probation is over, he won't just be the QB during their probation, but now has a chance at returning USC to greatness solidiftying a legacy. He'll be the Heismann front runner, he'll be the undoubted #1 QB prospect heading into the season and he could end up earning way more money next year.

WCH
12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
There's actually an insurance policy college athletes can take.

Luck signed a small one this past year think it was like 5 million dollars coverage. (chump change to what he could have made in the nfl) but there's different levels depending on how much you invest.

I was reading just this morning that Rob Gronkowski almost retired before the draft to cash in on a $4 Million insurance policy.

Cigaro
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM

I don't thhink first-round draft pick, NFL quarterback fits the typical definition 'real world', nor do I think that life is too different than the life of a Heisman-contending QB for USC.

Babylon
12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Barkley will have a chance to complete his college career as one of the greatest QBs to come out of that school. Now that their probation is over, he won't just be the QB during their probation, but now has a chance at returning USC to greatness solidiftying a legacy. He'll be the Heismann front runner, he'll be the undoubted #1 QB prospect heading into the season and he could end up earning way more money next year.

You do know someone is going to come in here and say you had a much differant take on Jake Locker when he stayed after his junior year. Just want to give you a heads up.

Saints-Tigers
12-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I would walk away from the college life in California in an instant to be a multimillionaire pro football player.

Complex
12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I would walk away from the college life in California in an instant to be a multimillionaire pro football player.

IDK USC is breaking bread.

Zycho32
12-23-2011, 05:07 PM

You were going along the standard perspective until you thought of him as 'scared to enter the real world' and 'choosing the easy way out'.

Holy crap. You went from pessimistic to highly insulting in one sentence.

The way I understand it, USC is finally Bowl Eligible now. And no matter what anybody else says, reaching and winning a High-Level Bowl Game, let alone the National Championship, is going to be the goal for them. And Barkley chose to NOT take money and jump the ship.

What's the REAL 'easy way out'? Earning a bunch of money whether going to a crud franchise or a good one that allows him time to develop- or fighting in the college ranks to actually WIN something?

...I hate the negative perspective, I really do. Because the negative perspective seems to feel top-rated QBs should walk out after their Junior years NO MATTER WHAT.

Babylon
12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
IDK USC is breaking bread.

Some of them probably take a cut in pay when they turn pro.

soybean
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
You do know someone is going to come in here and say you had a much differant take on Jake Locker when he stayed after his junior year. Just want to give you a heads up.

Except USC will be competing for a nc and heisman with a quality team and quality wr tandem. None of which ever applied to locker.

Babylon
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Except USC will be competing for a nc and heisman with a quality team and quality wr tandem. None of which ever applied to locker.

I was responding to D-Unit who said that Barkley could be one of the best there at his position, go to a big bowl, heisman favorite, undoubtedly the #1 prospect, possibly make more money........all things that applied to Locker.

D-Unit
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but Jake Locker was someone who I considered to be overhyped. I thought he was nowhere near the Top 3 prospect people had him at in the 2010 draft. When he gave that up, I thought he was making a mistake... and surely enough, his crappy senior year did enough damage to prove me right.

It's never a case where the decision is the same for everyone.

Locker never had a chance to compete for a National Championship. He was not returning to a talented team. It was more about QB development for him.

Barkley is legit and his decision is much like Andrew Luck's. I never had an issue with Luck going back. I knew he'd be a Top 3 pick whenever he declared.

Babylon
12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but Jake Locker was someone who I considered to be overhyped. I thought he was nowhere near the Top 3 prospect people had him at in the 2010 draft. When he gave that up, I thought he was making a mistake... and surely enough, his crappy senior year did enough damage to prove me right.

Locker never had a chance to compete for a National Championship. He was not returning to a talented team. It was more about QB development for him.

Barkley is legit and his decision is much like Andrew Luck's. I never had an issue with Luck going back. I knew he'd be a Top 3 pick whenever he declared.

Don't want to relitigate the whole Jake Locker decision but there is no real proof that he would have gone higher in 2010 than he did this past year.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Or scouts can ignore flaws just look at Blaine Gabbert. It has become clear unless you are a scout for an NFL team don't really know what they are looking for in a prospect. If they do what they are supposed to they can find all the flaws. The scouting process is a long one for college football. If you don't find a flaw then, another year won't help you find it. If you want to be like every other debbie downer then sure he is taking the easy way out he is definitely not looking to win a national title, heisman, and return USC a team he grew up liking back to national prominence that would just be crazy.

A Perfect Score
12-23-2011, 11:46 PM

He probably dropped all of 4 slots despite his poor senior season. If he had come out the season before, I imagine the Skins would have taken him with pick 4 instead of Trent Williams. That was the report at the time, anyways. He did lose himself a ton of money, but that was more due to the CBA changes then anything Locker did all by his lonesome.

I liked Locker as much last year as I did Barkley this year.

Flyboy
12-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Without question, in my opinion.