PDA

View Full Version : Janoris Jenkins

Miaoww
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Where do you guys see him being drafted?

Based on talent alone I think he's clearly the best CB in the draft. How much do his character concerns affect his draft status in April?

ATLDirtyBirds
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Based on talent alone I think he's clearly the best CB in the draft. How much do his character concerns affect his draft status in April?

Late First. I haven't seen any of his play from this year, so I'm not sure how fair this is, but I'd take him over Mo.

Sloopy
12-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I could see him in a Ravens uniform if he falls and others don't (Like Taze or Kuechly). Maybe Mike Adams or Konz over him but thats about it, he's next on my wish list and Oz is just the man to pull the trigger.

So yea, late first

ellsy82
12-23-2011, 08:58 AM
He'll probably go late first...can't see him escaping the first 10 picks in the second round. Carolina looks like a good spot for him.

MI_Buckeye
12-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Morris Claiborne is much more complete and far better IMO.

I think Jenkins will wind up in either Dallas or Cincinnati with one of their three combined first round picks.

TheRubberDuck45
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
JJs stats suffered pretty badly this year. NO ONE would throw his way. He had 1 or 2 ints all year. But good grief he is one of the best punt returners I have ever seen.

Miaoww
12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
He'll probably go late first...can't see him escaping the first 10 picks in the second round. Carolina looks like a good spot for him.

I would LOVE that to happen (as a Panthers fan).

I just worry about his legal issues. Has he kept his nose clean this year? He has all the talent in the world it's just whether he'll be suspended for half his career or not.

Miaoww
12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Morris Claiborne is much more complete and far better IMO.

I think Jenkins will wind up in either Dallas or Cincinnati with one of their three combined first round picks.

Each to their own I guess. I much prefer Jenkins.

JBCX
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I see "Dallas Cowboys" written all over this guy.

DeepThreat
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
The Bengals almost seem like too good of a fit.

AntoinCD
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I would LOVE that to happen (as a Panthers fan).

I just worry about his legal issues. Has he kept his nose clean this year? He has all the talent in the world it's just whether he'll be suspended for half his career or not.

I believe he got ejected from one game for getting into a fight. Wouldn't be a mark against most but with his issues it will be brought up. I don't think there has been any legal issues though. I agree and think he could be the best CB in the draft but he needs to get his head on straight. He won't get out of the first round so long as he doesn't get enticed by a little smoke between now and draft day

TheRubberDuck45
12-23-2011, 04:25 PM
He did get ejected 1 time this year. He apparantly threw a punch from his back with 3 guys around him. The receiver he was covering went from 0 catches to like 8 including the game tying td in the 2nd half. (we lost in ot). Other than that 1 episode, he kept himself clean according to what has been reported. I wish him the best of luck.

Complex
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
He measured in at 5'9. He is going to drop.

lowlife
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
191 is a good weight for him though.

CDCB14
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Why? Because all you do is watch ESPN and wrongfully think Jerry Jones loves players with character concerns? The people things actually believe these days is hilarious.

If the Cowboys pick Jenkins, it will have nothing to do with Jerry not caring about his character issues, it will be because they need a CB and he is one of the best players left on their board.

RaiderNation
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Being 5'9 hurts him, but I think his play and interviews will be more important. It's not a secret that if he stayed out of trouble he'd likely be a top 15 pick, so the practices is where he will get his chance to shine. I like Jenkins fit in Dallas...

descendency
01-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Being 5'9 hurts him . . . It's not a secret that if he stayed out of trouble he'd likely be a top 15 pick.

I can't see a 5'9" CB going top 15. He'll never be able to match up against #1s in the NFL. He's strictly a nickel DB at that size.

CDCB14
01-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Jenkins at 14 is pretty much impossible if the cowboys have any idea what they are doing because they have pretty much the exact same player in Orlando Scandrick who is 24 years old and locked up long term. Picking him would be stupid.

The only way Jenkins is a cowboys is if he falls to 45 and it's a great value.

the_dark_knight
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I can't see a 5'9" CB going top 15. He'll never be able to match up against #1s in the NFL. He's strictly a nickel DB at that size.

Brent Grimes says hello from 5'7"

Iamcanadian
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
The pros knew he was 5'9" and they according to Mayock, rank him even with his character issues, as the 2nd CB in the draft. That is pretty impressive and a sure sign he has top 10 talent, IMO.
I don't know if he will go top 15 but it won't be because of talent but because his character issues will make him drop substantially.

CDCB14
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Brent Grimes also says hello I'm overrated and would get pooped on by any top 20 WR in the NFL one on one. He's an above average number 2 CB who is overrated because of the year he had 6 INT's and it's a nice story because of his size and he was undrafted from Shippensburg and went to NFL Europe before making it in the NFL.

He's an middle-tier CB who can be above average from time to time. Spending a first or even second round pick on a player of that skill set is a terrible reach. Throw Brent Grimes in this NFL draft where teams know what he will turn into in the NFL, and I doubt he is even a 1st round pick.

Black Bolt
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
has a documented substance abuse issue and lacks elite speed. How is he a first rounder again???

Razor
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Brent Grimes also says hello I'm overrated and would get pooped on by any top 20 WR in the NFL one on one. He's an above average number 2 CB who is overrated because of the year he had 6 INT's and it's a nice story because of his size and he was undrafted from Shippensburg and went to NFL Europe before making it in the NFL.

He's an middle-tier CB who can be above average from time to time. Spending a first or even second round pick on a player of that skill set is a terrible reach. Throw Brent Grimes in this NFL draft where teams know what he will turn into in the NFL, and I doubt he is even a 1st round pick.

gm8paBMbZTA

I think I love you, I couldn't agree more. +rep good sir!

Iamcanadian
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
has a documented substance abuse issue and lacks elite speed. How is he a first rounder again???

I don't know what his speed is, we'll find that out at the combine. However, he is an aggressive ball hawk with outstanding instincts and awareness. He blankets receivers in man or zone. He has that special ability to get his hands on a ball. Teams looking for a playmaker will be enamored by his ability.
Character issues will be a hot topic when scouts and GM's talk about this prospect. How far it drops him is anybody's guess?

the_dark_knight
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

You do not warrant the effort it would require to apply more keystrokes than this. You're foolish, he's a #1 CB, always has been since he became a starter, and has matched up extremely well with everyone he's been across for the last 2+ seasons. 4 years ago he was raw and abused, he became a polished finish product...ask Drew Brees.

cmarq83
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't write off Janoris Jenkins because he's 5'9" (closer to 5'10"). Asante Samuel is smaller than that, and has carved out a first round worthy career in the NFL, and in reality Jenkis is very similar and perhaps even better in man coverage.

All I can say is that he held AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey to something like a combined 120 yards in 2010, and none of those guys are lacking in the height department. I'd be more than happy to use a late first to get Jenkins if of course his interviews and background checks go well enough.

CDCB14
01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
You do not warrant the effort it would require to apply more keystrokes than this. You're foolish, he's a #1 CB, always has been since he became a starter, and has matched up extremely well with everyone he's been across for the last 2+ seasons. 4 years ago he was raw and abused, he became a polished finish product...ask Drew Brees.

You must be a falcons fan... you mad bro?

You can think whatever you want of grimes. He's an average player with physical limitations. If you want to leave him on an island with my #1 WR, i'll gladly take 10 catches for 180 yards and 2 touchdowns on the way to a convincing victory.

cmarq83
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
This height argument is ridiculous. Is it a cause for concern? Probably, but in reality if you look at the 3 of the best cornerbacks in the league: Darrelle Revis, Joe Haden, and Jonathan Joseph they're all roughly 5'11".

Are you saying Jenkins has no shot in the NFL because he's an inch and a half shorter than them? Are we also going to discount the fact that when you watch him he looks like the second best of cover guy in this class? Jenkins is one of the most natural ballhawks in this class, and despite his lack of elite timed speed and height everything we've seen of him has shown that he's proficient in man coverage.

descendency
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM

He's listed at 5'10", so I'll just wonder if you are confused or not. And he's basically average.

shylo3716
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Mike Jenkins penalizes him

CDCB14
01-23-2012, 06:34 PM
This height argument is ridiculous. Is it a cause for concern? Probably, but in reality if you look at the 3 of the best cornerbacks in the league: Darrelle Revis, Joe Haden, and Jonathan Joseph they're all roughly 5'11".

Are you saying Jenkins has no shot in the NFL because he's an inch and a half shorter than them? Are we also going to discount the fact that when you watch him he looks like the second best of cover guy in this class? Jenkins is one of the most natural ballhawks in this class, and despite his lack of elite timed speed and height everything we've seen of him has shown that he's proficient in man coverage.

I agree with this from the height standpoint. For starters, he measured in at 5'9 3/4'' so he is pretty much 5'10''. I doubt 1/4th of an inch will have any effect on any play he makes in the NFL. That's 2 millimeters. Most cornerbacks are in the 5'10'' to 5'11'' range. It's not like it's that big of a deal. Now I don't think Janoris is a top 15 kind of prospect, but the height thing isn't that big of a deal. It's not like he's barely 5'8'' or something.

shylo3716
01-23-2012, 09:32 PM
I would like to know your thoughts on.....

Pick #29 CB Janoris Jenkins which moves CB Jimmy Smith over to FS Eddie Reed's replacement

Your arguement may be.... 5'9'' CB

Then I reply....Not implying he is the same exact guy, but Finnegan has been a terror with his size & in all actuality Jenkins is the #1 CB off the board this year if it weren't for the off the field issues.

sbh15
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
just re-watched his highlights from 2010 with florida... all i can say is wow. he is draped all over these guys every time he's guarding them. i would probably take him over any other corner in this draft

MsHc2hr6nPo

J5tH53cLW4U

jones: 4 catches, 19 yards
green: 3 catches, 27 yards (had a td catch, but not with jenkins on him)
jeffrey: 5 catches, 41 yards (1 catch for 12 yards against another corner)

Big Bird
01-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Janoris Jenkins is everything Mike Jenkins was suppose to be.

The guy has the ability to be an elite cover corner in the NFL. Just a matter of whether or not he is mentally ready for that.

bigbuc
01-24-2012, 01:50 AM
The guy will fall to the second round because of red flags

descendency
01-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Pick #29 CB Janoris Jenkins which moves CB Jimmy Smith over to FS Eddie Reed's replacement

Jimmy Smith struck me as an elite boundary corner. He just needs time to develop. Moving him to FS may be an OK idea, but I think it's the wrong one. He's not a great interceptor. He's more of a pass defender.

the_dark_knight
01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
He's listed at 5'10", so I'll just wonder if you are confused or not. And he's basically average.

Ever stood next to him? He's 5'7 on a good day.

Average, how's leading the NFL in PBU setting a record last year average, not to mention he also had several interceptions and went to the Pro Bowl. So yeah, you go ahead and believe whatever you want you delusional people, I'm not even a Grimes fan, but to say he's average is just stupid.

CDCB14-He doesn't get out of position and he doesn't get abused, 4 years ago he did, he's not the same player anymore. So if you haven't watched the Falcons play the last 2 years and haven't watched Grimes then you don't have any room to talk in this conversation.

So your 10 catches for 180 and 2 TDs, ain't gunna happen. It doesn't happen, that might against Dunta Robinson while being used in a scheme that doesn't suit his skill set, but it didn't happen to Grimes. So, you go on back to puffin on whatever it is you choose, and just leave the football talk to people who actually have a clue.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Grimes is very good people.

But on the subject, I'm a big Janoris fan. He's definitely not better than Mo, but I'd seriously consider giving him the #2 spot.

K Train
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Ever stood next to him? He's 5'7 on a good day.

i played basketball with him at ship once....hes 5-7

and can dunk :-(

the_dark_knight
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
i played basketball with him at ship once....hes 5-7

and can dunk :-(

Lol ya, ask Drew Brees about his vert lol. Freaking insane how high that dude can sky.

shylo3716
01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Jimmy Smith struck me as an elite boundary corner. He just needs time to develop. Moving him to FS may be an OK idea, but I think it's the wrong one. He's not a great interceptor. He's more of a pass defender.

I seen the range Sunday, but the move could benefit this D who will lose out sooner then later with Reed & Lewis aging.

coordinator0
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Yeah, every Ravens fan shut down the idea in our forum. Smith's size advantage at CB is far too good to give up by moving him to S.

Miaoww
01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
The guy will fall to the second round because of red flags

I hope he falls to the Panthers in the second round.

ElectricEye
01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
... you mad bro?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6j7fauFth1qztjn5o1_500.png

That's a paddlin'

Day One Pick
01-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I think he'll be a top 15-20 pick. Could even go higher if he can impress teams during the interview process. Talent wise he's top 10.

Texas Homer
01-29-2012, 01:24 AM
The dude can play. I don't know where he will go, but I think that he is a 1st round talent.