PDA

View Full Version : Prospects You Hate

Caulibflower
12-24-2011, 02:41 AM
The guys who seem to be projected for the first two rounds who you think don't belong there. The guy who'd make you throw your remote at the TV if your team drafted him high. For me, I think of LaMichael James. There seem to be quite a few people who think he's a late first, solid second-type player. He's a guy who's made his name playing on a wide-open offensive team that is on TV a lot. The lanes he runs through are enormous, and when they're not there, he looks really ordinary. He's got no power at all. I'm not saying he can't play in the NFL, but when I watch him play I see nothing to suggest he warrants a premium pick. He's got pretty good quickness, but I'm not sure about his long speed. At any rate, I don't think he's fast enough to compensate for his inability to break tackles. And I don't really even see a whole lot to get excited about as far as elusiveness goes. He follows his blocks pretty well, but I just don't see him creating a lot on his own. That's my problem with him - it seems like he's a guy who has put up some huge stats, but my predilection is to look at that more as team success than James' individual ability. He's more like a 4th-rounder to me. A complimentary player.

Also don't like Landry Jones. He's a strong-armed backup to me. Thinking Kellen Clemons, Derek Anderson.

Caulibflower
12-24-2011, 02:44 AM
http://icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/haters6.jpg

I'll just get this outta the way for the LaMichael Fans. And because I laugh when I see it.

Razor
12-24-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm not sure that I hate anyone this year since there are no controversial players this year. But if the Pats draft Melvin Ingram or Brandon Thompson I'm going to need to kill something.

rawdawg
12-24-2011, 07:50 AM
- Cordy Glenn. I guess he got better later in the year, but he was terrible to start. I know he was at LT, where he won't play in the NFL, but he looks soft to me. Doesn't display to me that he is strong enough at the POA vs. powerful DTs.

- Landry Jones. I didn't really like Bradford coming out. Landry isn't as good as him. Needs to sit a couple years with a really good QB coach before he is effective in the NFL.

- Injuries to Jared Crick and Ryan Broyles have taken them out of the 1st round conversation, but I hated both as early picks. 3rd round was about right to me before injuries. Crick is a tweener, and not a great athlete. Broyles is not explosive enough or good enough after the catch to warrant an early pick.

-Mark Barron. I don't think he can cover at all. Glorified LB to me who's only going to be effective in the box. Maybe not as bad in coverage as former Cowboy SS, Roy Williams, but I see them as similar players.

- Courtney Upshaw/Donta' Hightower. I like both as prospects, but I don't see them as 4-3 LBs or 4-3 DEs and I have seen people mocking them to 4-3 teams. Both look like 3-4 guys who can play in or out though.

norcalgsr
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Agree on LaMichael James and Landry Jones.

ChiFan24
12-24-2011, 02:14 PM
LaMichael comes to mind immediately for all the reasons you said.

DraftSavant
12-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't say I "hate" him, but I think Dre Kirkpatrick is really overvalued. Very scheme-dependent corner, but I think he'd be a hell of a safety.

Oh, and Alshon.

prock
12-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I hate Ashlon.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Jared Crick and Nick Perry.

TACKLE
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Oh, and Alshon.

Yeah, I hate Ashlon.

http://icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/haters6.jpg

calubflower said it best.

Leon Sandcastle
12-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Alshon for me. I'd have him behind Floyd, Blackmon, Wright, Sanu and Jones.

Brent
12-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Russell Wilson. I don't see the big deal.

Babylon
12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Jared Crick and Nick Perry.

I actually like these two and have seen way too much of both of them as a Husky fan. Crick probably in that Justin Smith mold and i'll stay with the Niner theme and say Perry will remind some of Aldon Smith, although neither will go as high as those two.

A Perfect Score
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I love Alshon. Screw you guys.

I certainly don't see all the fuss over Cordy Glenn. I think Quentin Coples is overvalued because of potential and doesn't show up on tape as consistently as you would like for a guy with that level of athleticism. I think Dre Kirkpatrick is overrated as well. He's been solid at Bama but I think some people still factor in the high school hype when thinking of him.

Oh, and I ******* hate what I saw from Jonathon Martin this year.

JBCX
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Jerel Worthy and Vontaze Burfict.

Most overrated prospects in this class by far.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I actually like these two and have seen way too much of both of them as a Husky fan. Crick probably in that Justin Smith mold and i'll stay with the Niner theme and say Perry will remind some of Aldon Smith, although neither will go as high as those two.

Crick is a 5 tech only. Didn't anchor well at all from what I saw.

Perry just always looks so stiff.

Caulibflower
12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Russell Wilson. I don't see the big deal.

Interesting, because there's a part of me that thinks he'd be in the first/second round conversation if he was 2 or 3 inches taller. But as it is, I see him going 5th-ish, maybe even later. Is that what you mean by "big deal," or are you hearing more buzz than that? Because he seems more like a sleeper to me.

DeathbyStat
12-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Landry Jones......is there really any other choice

Brandon Jenkins

Quinton Couples not terrible but i don't see elite pass rusher, or top five pick.

Justin Blackmon again not terrible but is he really worth a top five pick, a slightly better Crabtree....i'd say

vidae
12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I want a QB on the Chiefs more than anything, but I probably would hate Landry Jones.

DraftSavant
12-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Crick is a 5 tech only. Didn't anchor well at all from what I saw.

Perry just always looks so stiff.

Yeah, I go back and for with Perry. Workouts will be huge for him if he can show that his inflexibility is a coaching issue and not a "physical defect" so to speak.

Brent
12-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Interesting, because there's a part of me that thinks he'd be in the first/second round conversation if he was 2 or 3 inches taller. But as it is, I see him going 5th-ish, maybe even later. Is that what you mean by "big deal," or are you hearing more buzz than that? Because he seems more like a sleeper to me.
Even if he were taller, he's good at a lot of things, but nothing jumps off the screen when I watch.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I go back and for with Perry. Workouts will be huge for him if he can show that his inflexibility is a coaching issue and not a "physical defect" so to speak.

I could see him proving me wrong, very easily. He has that first step I need to see from a pass rusher, and he's powerful. He just plays way too high and looks stiff in the hips, and it really irks me.

holt_bruce81
12-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Landry Jones - I don't see what everyone else does, I think he needs to go back to school. He's a 3rd rounder IMO.

Jeff Fuller - I hear all the time that he's a beast and has great hands.....Everytime I watch him play he is nonexistent and gets shutdown by mediocre corners.

Vontaze Burfict - Ok I see the potential, I see the athlete but he overpursues all the time, he's undeciplined and he misses to many tackles. Just laughable that people think he's a first rounder.

BuddyCHRIST
12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't care for Blackmon or Jeffrey. Blackmon is a great player, but nothing special stands out and I don't buy him as a top 10 pick. He's more of a 20's player for me. Jeffrey just screams bust to me, when has a WR with weight issues ever worked out?

A Perfect Score
12-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I could see him proving me wrong, very easily. He has that first step I need to see from a pass rusher, and he's powerful. He just plays way too high and looks stiff in the hips, and it really irks me.

Perry reminds me oh so much of Aldon Smith, who is another guy I wasn't high on whatsoever as a 3-4 OLB. I liked him enough as a 4-3 DE because he had an excellent inside rip and he looked comfortable enough there, but I thought he just looked awkward at the combine in the LB drills.

Of course, he's proving me wrong with his 14 NFL sacks...I hate when I'm wrong.

brat316
12-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Landry Jones

DeepThreat
12-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Cordy Glenn, Justin Blackmon, Jonathan Martin, and Quinton Coples

Miaoww
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Cordy Glenn, Justin Blackmon, Jonathan Martin, and Quinton Coples

I've seen three of those guys mocked to the Panthers.

TACKLE
12-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know if I hate any prospects (yet), but I don't think much of either of the FSU OT's, Jerel Worthy or Whitney Merclilus.

Iamcanadian
12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
To hate a player you need a solid reason, a lot of what is posted here really has zero merit. I dislike Jeffery and Glenn because they are fat and slow and I know from experience that pro scouts and GM's hate prospects who cannot get into shape especially in their final college season when they know pro scouts are judging them. It often means they will be even less motivated when they get a pro contract with big dollars and could eat themselves out of the game. I know that as pros, you have to be in shape to play effectively for 4 quarters and these 2 guys currently couldn't play at top form for 4 quarters, so I hate the waste of talent they both represent.

Leon Sandcastle
12-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Any thoughts on Ohio State's Mike Adams?

rawdawg
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
To hate a player you need a solid reason, a lot of what is posted here really has zero merit. I dislike Jeffery and Glenn because they are fat and slow and I know from experience that pro scouts and GM's hate prospects who cannot get into shape especially in their final college season when they know pro scouts are judging them. It often means they will be even less motivated when they get a pro contract with big dollars and could eat themselves out of the game. I know that as pros, you have to be in shape to play effectively for 4 quarters and these 2 guys currently couldn't play at top form for 4 quarters, so I hate the waste of talent they both represent.

Zero merit? It's opinions given by people who for the most part have no say so in what their teams do. And it is also your opinion that Jeffrey and Glenn are fat and slow. You don't know this for a fact.

Iamcanadian
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Zero merit? It's opinions given by people who for the most part have no say so in what their teams do. And it is also your opinion that Jeffrey and Glenn are fat and slow. You don't know this for a fact.

On Jeffery, I am just going by scouting reports I have read, the combine will confirm or deny my opinion.

As for Glenn, Fact 1: there are approx 8 starters in the NFL who weight over 340lbs. two of which are 6'7" or higher, leaving 6 starters at relatively his weight although some are lighter. Fact 2: Most gained weight after they entered the NFL and were drafted at a much lower lower weight. That gives my opinion on Glenn a very high factor for being correct, since only 3% of current NFL offensive linemen weigh anything near what his current weight is.
If Glenn adds 10 or 20 lbs. when he plays in the NFL, that would make him the fattest 6'5" player in the league.
If you don't want to believe that he is fat and unlikely to be able to go full steam for 4 quarters, that is your opinion based on zero facts.

ellsy82
12-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Landry Jones - I don't see what everyone else does, I think he needs to go back to school. He's a 3rd rounder IMO.

Jeff Fuller - I hear all the time that he's a beast and has great hands.....Everytime I watch him play he is nonexistent and gets shutdown by mediocre corners.

Vontaze Burfict - Ok I see the potential, I see the athlete but he overpursues all the time, he's undeciplined and he misses to many tackles. Just laughable that people think he's a first rounder.

What he said. Not a big fan of Mike Adams either.

AntoinCD
12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
On Jeffery, I am just going by scouting reports I have read, the combine will confirm or deny my opinion.

As for Glenn, Fact 1: there are approx 8 starters in the NFL who weight over 340lbs. two of which are 6'7" or higher, leaving 6 starters at relatively his weight although some are lighter. Fact 2: Most gained weight after they entered the NFL and were drafted at a much lower lower weight. That gives my opinion on Glenn a very high factor for being correct, since only 3% of current NFL offensive linemen weigh anything near what his current weight is.
If Glenn adds 10 or 20 lbs. when he plays in the NFL, that would make him the fattest 6'5" player in the league.
If you don't want to believe that he is fat and unlikely to be able to go full steam for 4 quarters, that is your opinion based on zero facts.

Well Marcus Cannon is listed as 6'5 358lbs and he is extremely athletic. He had no problems in college playing LT going for 4 quarters and despite coming off PUP this year with cancer doesn't seem to have much problems playing hard anytime he's on the field

Miaoww
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Not a big fan of Alfonzo Dennard. He's small, stocky and doesn't play bigger than his size - that's death in the modern NFL. Can't tackle either.

JBCX
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Quinton Coples and Zach Brown are extremely overrated as well.

Read this article for some more insight on these busts-in-waiting:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/16619393/draft-notebook-tar-heels-final-impression-will-last-and-hurt-too

DBNYDP
12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Michael Floyd
If he keeps his head straight I think he'll be a really good receiver but injury concerns and character concerns keep me away.

Landry Jones
Screams Blaine Gabbert 2.0 for me

Caulibflower
12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Quinton Coples and Zach Brown are extremely overrated as well.

Read this article for some more insight on these busts-in-waiting:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/16619393/draft-notebook-tar-heels-final-impression-will-last-and-hurt-too

Interesting to see Coby Fleener's name dropped into the first round conversation. I hadn't thought that was really a possibility.

TACKLE
12-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting to see Coby Fleener's name dropped into the first round conversation. I hadn't thought that was really a possibility.

Fleener is a beast. He's better than Rudolph in almost every area and Rudolph got some first round talk despite missing a lot of time due to injury.

PossibleCabbage
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I like Trent Richardson, but I guarantee I'm not going to like how high he gets drafted (barring something really serious cropping up between now and the draft.)

ellsy82
12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I like Trent Richardson, but I guarantee I'm not going to like how high he gets drafted (barring something really serious cropping up between now and the draft.)

Disclaimer: This isn't directed at either of you two.

I dunno. How many top 15 ranked prospects deserve to be there? To me, Richardson is definitely one of those guys. A month ago it was Burflict. A month ago it was D.J. Fluker. Or Matt Barkley. Brandon Thompson.

I guess my point is, there's a long way to go in this process. A lot of members of this forum take these rankings so seriously, or get so super-offended when a player is mocked to them that they don't like.

"Such and such player shouldn't be drafted before the second round." Why? What if Richardson runs a 4.4 40, benches 40, has a 40" vertical and can broad jump 11 feet. Hell, he might be the #2 overall pick. That's unheard of athleticism. And he certainly has the production.

Anyway....just wanted to get that out there. You are correct in that the RB position has become less valued. All these rule changes set forth by the owners and Goodell have made sure of that.

FUNBUNCHER
12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Coples/Jeffery/Jones/Burfict.

Hate is a strong word, mostly I think all these guys are overrated by a round or more.

Caulibflower
12-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Hate is an exaggeration, but I thought it'd be a more stimulating thread title than...

"Prospects you think are overrated by a round or more." Although that probably would've worked just fine.

DBNYDP
12-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Is it just me or is it harder to hate this year? My dislike for Jones/Floyd doesn't even compare to my feelings for Newton/Matthews last year.

PossibleCabbage
12-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Is it just me or is it harder to hate this year? My dislike for Jones/Floyd doesn't even compare to my feelings for Newton/Matthews last year.

Well it's still early, and I think we'll find more guys to hate later in the process, but I think a lot of the issue is that traditionally a significant portion of the hate is directed to those prospects who are in the mix for the #1 overall pick.

But this year there's absolutely no question as to who the top guy is, and he's not really even hateable. Everybody pretty much agrees that Andrew Luck is a darn fine NFL prospect, even if they think he's gotten too much love so far.

killxswitch
12-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Quinten Coples - I see another Everson Griffin. Great athlete that doesn't produce or make that big of a difference on the field. I would say Carlos Dunlap is another comparison but he has exceeded my expectations so far. And I think Coples is a better athlete.

Is Landry Jones actually overrated now? I don't think most people think of him as a good idea in the 1st anymore.

Alshon Jeffrey is a fat sack of unmotivated crap.

Cigaro
12-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Another Quinton Coples non-fan. I don't see anything special about him. Even at the college level I don't see him as a consistently impacting the game. If he can be marginalized by college lineman, I suspect the same by pro lineman. He's currently seemingly the unanimous pick for the Panthers, I just hope that doesn't translate to reality.

See nothing remotely special about Landry Jones either.

PossibleCabbage
12-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Another Quinton Coples non-fan. I don't see anything special about him. Even at the college level I don't see him as a consistently impacting the game. If he can be marginalized by college lineman, I suspect the same by pro lineman. He's currently seemingly the unanimous pick for the Panthers, I just hope that doesn't translate to reality.

I think Coples is a guy who will make a decent base end or inside rusher for a 4-3 defense, or a good 5-tech, but he's nowhere near a good bet as the classic star RDE in an even front which is why people think he's worth so much.

If you have me taking him in around #20, I'd be happy with him, so he's not a round or more overrated... but he's absolutely overrated.

killxswitch
12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
How about a comparison to Jamaal Anderson? That fair for Coples?

FuzzyGopher
12-30-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree with the others who are not as high on Trent Richardson. I think people get too caught up on his physique and insane weight room numbers and that clouds their evaluation of him. I think he'll be a good NFL player but I don't think he is the type of guy you take in the top 10, especially with the league becoming more passing oriented. He just looks like a grinder to me and lacks the explosion and top end speed to be a real game changer like Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. I don't hate the guy, I just think he will be over drafted for the value he will add to the team that takes him.

Matthew Jones
12-30-2011, 10:10 AM

Coples should carry a grade similar to Anderson but having a career similar to Anderson's would be a worst-case scenario. Coples has a slightly bigger build than Anderson did and is a more dynamic pass rusher. Anderson was not as readily projectable to different fronts and packages as Coples is.

Caulibflower
12-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Scott's updated senior rankings ought to provide some fodder for this thread...

Quinton Coples the number one senior prospect? Is Janoris Jenkins another Pacman?

Caulibflower
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Starting to think Andre Branch is a bust waiting to happen. Gets washed out of the run game too easily, isn't quick off the snap, doesn't have much pass rush technique, looks slow to react to plays and not instinctive. Going to get drafted on his stats and workout numbers.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM

From what I've seen, no. Jamaal Anderson just wasn't a great pass rusher, wasn't as dynamic. Coples just seems not to try/doesn't want to get hurt.

rawdawg
01-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Starting to think Andre Branch is a bust waiting to happen. Gets washed out of the run game too easily, isn't quick off the snap, doesn't have much pass rush technique, looks slow to react to plays and not instinctive. Going to get drafted on his stats and workout numbers.

Really? I think if anything, he's a better run defender than pass rusher. He was involved in 73 tackles this year and 16 for loss. Very good at playing off the blocker and stacking and shedding him to make a play on the ball. I agree with the pass rush technique thing, though he's definitely better than he was last year in that area. And obviously, he has the physical ability to take that to the next level with some solid NFL coaching.

Caulibflower
01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Really? I think if anything, he's a better run defender than pass rusher. He was involved in 73 tackles this year and 16 for loss. Very good at playing off the blocker and stacking and shedding him to make a play on the ball. I agree with the pass rush technique thing, though he's definitely better than he was last year in that area. And obviously, he has the physical ability to take that to the next level with some solid NFL coaching.

I watched a couple videos of him last night, and he looked slow/ineffective getting off of blocks when he was locked up, and several times had guy run right by him where he didn't look very aware and kind of slow to react - situations where he could've put himself in a better position for an open tackle, or at least done a better job of redirecting the runner. But it was only a couple of games, so I'm going off of a small sample size. He's obviously a physical specimen, but I was a little disappointed. I wanted him to look a bit more dominant on tape for a guy who's supposed to be a top prospect.

WT01
01-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Landry Jones as well. The guy is so bad under pressure. If he goes to a team that has a bad o-line he's going to have an awful season.

Caulibflower
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Updated in light of the recent mock. Prospects whose talent I have a hard time justifying the merit of their projected draft spots:

Dontari Poe - Got everything you measure, fails to impress on tape against very, very average competition. Sure, he's a great athlete and a beast in the weight room. But will a team be drafting a dominant DT in the first round, or a guy who might just be a couple cut contracts away from a weightlifting career?

Devon Still - Similar reservations as with Poe, but he's both a lesser athlete and a better football player. Still, I think teams are rating his athleticism higher than his play, and that's always a warning sign with me. If you've got two players dominating in college, but one has superior tools, then you can use measurements to make a decision. But you're looking at a guy who hasn't really stood apart, and you're projecting him to the NFL based on his skills... I think someone else asked this pretty recently in another thread (Funbuncher in the Poe thread, iirc) ... When is the last time a good-not-great college player with great measurables became a star NFL player?

...Bueller?

Still don't like Alshon Jeffrey. Briefly rose on him after watching his bowl game, but the way he chose to go about his combine experience just reinforced everything people have been saying about him. Cutting a bunch of weight... and then NOT running and NOT lifting? Come on. He's looking ever more to me like a Big Mike Williams who wasn't as dominant in college.

And I don't hate him, but I've been saying for some time that I'm not a big fan of Lamar Miller. I've watched several of his games, and what you see is the build and the speed. The speed, of course, is legit. But he may as well weigh 190 the way he runs. Not physical. Runs way too light for 212. At 212, he should be punishing DBs and you don't see that from him. He's got the wheels and moves to be an elusive runner in college, but you need more than than in the NFL. He doesn't deserve the Clinton Portis comparison for this reason. More like Felix Jones.

Caulibflower
03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Also lukewarm on Nick Perry, and... I'm sorry New York/New Jersey guys, but Sanu just does not do it for me. 4.67 at the combine is what I expected him to run. He does not play fast. He's got some size, good hands... just doesn't look explosive. I know, I know... "Anquan Boldin," etc. Just doesn't look sudden enough to me. I know there's a few guys on here who are swearing on their repuations that Sanu will be good, but I haven't seen it yet. We'll see. I probably wouldn't consider him until the third, and there'd likely be a player still there in the third that I prefer.

Clarkw267
03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Guys that come to mind for me are:

Dontari Poe - Physical specimen, but very average on the field against mediocre competition. Does he have the desire to be great?

Alshon Jeffrey - Obvious conditioning, and worth ethic questions. Once he gets paid does he blow up even worse than this past season?

Mike Adams - Looks the part of a top OT, but doesn't seem to go 100% all the time, and has bad lapses in concentration which breeds inconsistency.

Zach Brown - Outstanding speed and athleticism for a LB, but seems to lack the instincts of a top LB. Also has issues shedding blocks.

Jerel Worthy - Looks unblockable at times, but also looks very average at others. Seems like the classic hot and cold motor guy.

D-Unit
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Fletcher Cox Top 10??? Gimme a break.

Razor
03-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Melvin Ingram: Overrated POS.

Alshon Jeffery: Fat, lazy d-bag.

I'm also lukewarm on Upshaw, Still, Worthy, Perry and Gilmore.

fenikz
03-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Jonathan Martin and to a lesser extent Mike Adams

duesouth
03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Really the whole DE class - seen some flashes from them all, but not enough. Many of them are one trick ponies and I think carry a fairly high bust factor.

JHL6719
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Andre Branch is entirely overrated. Plays like a 190 pounder in the run game and doesn't have a first step worth anything.

Latest in a long line of overrated Clemson DE's joining posers like Ricky Sapp, Phillip Merling, Gaines Adams, Da'Quan Bowers, etc.

Edit: Brandon Thompson on the other hand is the real deal.

steelersrock151
03-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Mike Adams, as a lot have said.
Peter Konz. Not first round material.
Iloka. Yes, he's 6' 4", and plays like a linebacker. Unfortunately, the job of a safety is to be a safety, and one who can't cover or keep from getting burned deep is absolutely useless.

TACKLE
03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Melvin Ingram: Overrated POS.

Alshon Jeffery: Fat, lazy d-bag.

Ok you who calls people 'pieces of ****' and 'douchebags', you gotta explain this one in particular to me.

Taber21
03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't hate him, but Brockers is still a difficult guy to judge, imo. His measurable's are excellent, his testing was not good, and his play, though he shows flashes, was inconsistent. Also, the fact he has shown virtually no pass rush to this point is somewhat puzzling. I'd still take him in round 1, but not sure as high as some.

vidae
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Jonathan Martin. Not a fan at all.

Razor
03-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok you who calls people 'pieces of ****' and 'douchebags', you gotta explain this one in particular to me.

Eh, OK... POS was harsh on Ingram and not fully thought through. My apologies. But I really hate him as a prospect. He comes across as a great guy when I've heard him talk, but his play on the field doesn't warrant a first round selection IMO. To me he's a mid-second round pick at best. He gets moved around on that defense not because he's good, but because they have better players at DE than he is (Clowney and Taylor). I've seen Ingram miss loads of tackles and his impact plays have often come as a result of opponents throwing him the ball or QBs scrambling into his arms. I'm sorry, but I just don't see what the hype is about. Mostly he gets his production form playing against the opponents' weakest player from what I've seen. That not a first round pick IMO. I wanted to check that so I went to youtube and searched for melvin Ingram. This video came up and I think it validates my thoughts (although I'm sure that there is some highlight video with 3 years worth of good plays compressed into 3 minutes somewhere):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6seARCh3Y&feature=g-all&context=G2864ae1FAAAAAAAAAAA

(Couldn't get the youtube code to work)

About Jeffery, I just don't like him as a player or a person when I've heard him speak. I get the sense that he's mostly about himself. I could be wrong, but that's my impression of him. Don't like the kid at all.

San Diego Chicken
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree with anyone who says the DT's are overrated. None of the currently projected first rounders excite me very much.

Diehard
03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Iloka. Yes, he's 6' 4", and plays like a linebacker. Unfortunately, the job of a safety is to be a safety, and one who can't cover or keep from getting burned deep is absolutely useless.

There's been some talk in the Denver media about him being drafted to play LB... similar to what Fox did in Carolina with Thomas Davis.

I don't really hate any of the prospects this time around, but there are some I'm not as high on as others around here are:

Poe, Brockers - the physical attributes are there, but the lack of production is a little worrying.

Andre Branch - for reasons outlined in posts above

Devon Still - plays too high and I question his motor / motivation. There's a lot to like about him and he could be developed into a very effective penetrating DT in a 4-3, but I'm not sure what kind of guy he'll be once he gets his payday.

Alshon Jeffrey - okay, so there is one guy I do hate. The warning signs are there. Plenty of other WR's to choose from in this draft. Let him slide and take a flyer on him later in the draft if you must.

Lamar Miller -

He doesn't deserve the Clinton Portis comparison for this reason. More like Felix Jones

More like Tatum Bell circa 2005, who formed a great 1-2 punch with Mike Anderson. I see him being effective as a complementary speed back, but if he goes in round 1 with the expectation he'll be the man, that team will be disappointed. Take him in round 2 and have appropriate expectations and I think he'll be a very nice weapon.

TACKLE
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
About Jeffery, I just don't like him as a player or a person when I've heard him speak. I get the sense that he's mostly about himself. I could be wrong, but that's my impression of him. Don't like the kid at all.

He's not the most well spoken guy ever but every week this year he was given opportunities to throw his QB's under the bus when his production dipped but never once did. He never once complained about not getting enough balls and in the numerous interviews I've seen of him, he came across to me as a very team-orientated almost to the point where you'd want him to have a little selfishness as a WR.

Razor
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
He's not the most well spoken guy ever but every week this year he was given opportunities to throw his QB's under the bus when his production dipped but never once did. He never once complained about not getting enough balls and in the numerous interviews I've seen of him, he came across to me as a very team-orientated almost to the point where you'd want him to have a little selfishness as a WR.

I really felt the opposite, but I did have an opinion of him already and that could've played into all of this. It might just be a case similar to that of Tom Brady where fans consider his statements as team oriented and humble, whereas other people see the same comments and thinks that he's an arrogant d-bag. I really don't like Jeffery as a player, and I don't like him as a person. I hope he proves me wrong though....

SuperPacker
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Guys i hate.

Brock Osweiler - Wouldnt take him in the 7th round
Kellen Moore - Will be out of the league in 2 years
David Wilson - Runs with little vision and think he will bust.
Melvin Ingram - Think he will bust as well.
Vontaze Burfict - Someone shoot this man.

A Perfect Score
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM

The single most telling quote I've heard about Jeffery throughout this entire process was the one from the scout saying "He plays the game of football hard, but he doesn't do anything else hard". That's a really good way of describing Alshon IMO. Team player, kills himself on the field and because of his natural talent, does very well, but he doesn't train or work hard off the field. If someone ever gets that to click for him, look out because he's as naturally talented as any receiver I've ever seen. You just gotta keep him motivated and in the weight room.

jrdrylie
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
QB- Nick Foles. I think he is a very poor man's Blaine Gabbert.
WR- Alshon Jeffrey. My least favorite prospect in the draft. one of my least favorite prospects in a long while.
OLB- Courtney Upshaw. I don't so much hate him, but I don't think he should be a top-15 pick. I think his ceiling is Anthony Spencer. A decent all around player but not a great pass rusher.
CB- Janoris Jenkins. I can't argue the talent. But having four kids with three women is a huge red flag for me.

SuperPacker
03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
QB- Nick Foles. I think he is a very poor man's Blaine Gabbert.
WR- Alshon Jeffrey. My least favorite prospect in the draft. one of my least favorite prospects in a long while.
OLB- Courtney Upshaw. I don't so much hate him, but I don't think he should be a top-15 pick. I think his ceiling is Anthony Spencer. A decent all around player but not a great pass rusher.
CB- Janoris Jenkins. I can't argue the talent. But having four kids with three women is a huge red flag for me.

:surprised:

WTF ahaha! I didnt even know this. He's like 24...

AntoinCD
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't really hate any prospects in this year's draft (yet) in the same way as previous years. I suppose the only one that gets me is Justin Blackmon. Blackmon hasn't done anything to annoy me, I think he would be a very nice fit in New England, he will turn out to be a good player etc but people are hyping him up as a top 5 prospect in the draft

Obviously every year it is different. A top 5 player one year may be considered a mid first rounder another year but even in this draft which is pretty weak at the top after Luck, RG3, Kalil and Trent Richardson he doesn't stand out to me much.

If I draft a WR in the top 10 I would ideally like this guy to be a dominant standout who can draw extra coverage and still produce. Basically I want Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson type players. Someone like AJ Green last year. I don't want Anquan Boldin or Greg Jennings in the top 10. Both absolutely fine players and WRs who in any year can push for a pro bowl slot, but if I go into a season with either as my clear cut best WR then I have a problem at the position. To me Justin Blackmon is in that mould. He will have very good years and maybe some great ones. But he isn't going to scare any defensive coordinators.

I don't think there is a guy in the draft this year at WR who will be that type of player but because of that I don't understand why Blackmon's stock has to be inflated.

I have seen mock drafts with Blackmon going 2nd overall (obviously trades didn't occur in these mocks) to St Louis. I don't think he is in the ten best players in this class and it is a weak draft.

A Perfect Score
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't really hate any prospects in this year's draft (yet) in the same way as previous years. I suppose the only one that gets me is Justin Blackmon. Blackmon hasn't done anything to annoy me, I think he would be a very nice fit in New England, he will turn out to be a good player etc but people are hyping him up as a top 5 prospect in the draft

Obviously every year it is different. A top 5 player one year may be considered a mid first rounder another year but even in this draft which is pretty weak at the top after Luck, RG3, Kalil and Trent Richardson he doesn't stand out to me much.

If I draft a WR in the top 10 I would ideally like this guy to be a dominant standout who can draw extra coverage and still produce. Basically I want Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson type players. Someone like AJ Green last year. I don't want Anquan Boldin or Greg Jennings in the top 10. Both absolutely fine players and WRs who in any year can push for a pro bowl slot, but if I go into a season with either as my clear cut best WR then I have a problem at the position. To me Justin Blackmon is in that mould. He will have very good years and maybe some great ones. But he isn't going to scare any defensive coordinators.

I don't think there is a guy in the draft this year at WR who will be that type of player but because of that I don't understand why Blackmon's stock has to be inflated.

I have seen mock drafts with Blackmon going 2nd overall (obviously trades didn't occur in these mocks) to St Louis. I don't think he is in the ten best players in this class and it is a weak draft.

I agree that he isn't Larry Fitz or AJ Green, but I'd have a really, really hard time naming 10 people in this draft who are better football players then Justin Blackmon.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Outside easier/more common ones like Foles, the top dog is currently Mercilus.

TACKLE
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I 'hate' Coples as a 43 end.

Taber21
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Future Travis Henry/Antonio Cromartie anyone?

AntoinCD
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I agree that he isn't Larry Fitz or AJ Green, but I'd have a really, really hard time naming 10 people in this draft who are better football players then Justin Blackmon.

Guys who I think are definitely better players

Andrew Luck
RG3
Matt Kalil
Trent Richardson
Luke Keuchly
David DeCastro
Morris Claiborne
Michael Floyd

Guys who I rank in the same range as Blackmon

Quinton Coples
Nick Perry
Kendall Wright
Cordy Glenn
Dre Kirkpatrick
Fletcher Cox

If I'm not getting a guy like AJ or Fitz in the top 10 at WR I would prefer to pass because it is easier to get good WRs later, especially this year in a draft deep with WRs. I'd take my chances with a stud CB or pass rusher inside the top 10 over Blackmon.

I named 14 guys I would maybe have above Blackmon on my board, but bear in mind guys like Poe and Brockers will probably go a lot higher than they should as well.

Like I said, I don't hate Blackmon. I just don't get why people see him as such a top talent when IMO he isn't.

Cigaro
03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I'll return to this thread.

Quentin Coples- Same reason as before. I see a good athlete with above average football ability. I don't see anything making him a star.

Dontari Poe- Should be obvious from his thread, but I don't see this guy as a football player at all. He's a better athlete for his position than Coples, but also a much worse football player. I haven't seen anything from him indicating he'll make a reliable pro player to any degree.

Alshon Jeffery- I've been a pretty adament defender of Jeffery for quite a while, but my opinion has changed. I still believe Alshon has the talent and skill to become a very good NFL receiver. But I doubt his work ethic. Although it did not hamper his playing ability while in college, his weight does present an issue of determination. I also know from football players who played with him he's personally very lazy. If he can be motivated by dollars or whatever he'll pan out, but at the same time he may get lazy from his first contract and eat and sit around himself out of the league. Don't hate, but have very serious reservations.

Caulibflower
03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
...sit around himself out of the league.

That's one I don't think I've heard before. I like it. Lazy players sit around themselves out of the league.

RaiderNation
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd have to say I'm not as high on Tannehill like others, also I've dropped Brockers on my BB as well. Cox and Poe have clearly help their stock after the combine, while Brockers has started to slowly fall down the board.

Cigaro
03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
That's one I don't think I've heard before. I like it. Lazy players sit around themselves out of the league.

Couldn't easily think of alternative wording, so I sat around myself out of decent English.

cajuncorey
03-08-2012, 01:28 AM
the millionaire architect because he is indeed a coward

Larry
03-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Besides the game vs Va tech I also didn't really see that explosive first step from Andre Branch either.