PDA

View Full Version : How can my team get into the playoffs?

descendency
12-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I took the 5 teams that matter (Denver, NY, Oakland, Cincy, and Tennessee) and figured out what happens if they win or lose their games. (32 possible combinations) I'm 99% sure no other games control the outcome of these playoff spots.

Final AFC spots...

If the Broncos win or the Raiders lose, the Broncos are division winners. This is 24 out of 32 possible combinations, 75%.
If the Raiders win and the Broncos lose, the Raiders are division winners. 8/32 = 25%

-----

Now for the complicated part... (I'll try to do this in as easy of a form as I can)

I'm not bothering with ties.

Assuming the Broncos win their game (this is 16 possibilities):

The only way the Jets are in is if the Bengals, Raiders, and Titans lose. 1 out of 16 odds
The only way the Titans are in is if they win and the Bengals lose and either (but not both) the Jets or the Raiders lose. 2 out of 16 odds
The Raiders are in if they win, the Bengals lose, and one of the next two: the Jets win OR the Jets, Titans both lose. 3 out of 16 odds
The Bengals are in if they win OR if the Jets, Raiders lose and Titans win OR if the Jets, Raiders, and Titans all lose. 10 out of 16 odds

Assuming the Broncos lose (the other 16 possibilities):
The Jets are in if they win and the Bengals, Titans, Raiders lose OR if the Raiders win and the Bengals, Titans lose. 2 out of 16 odds
The Titans are in if they win and the Bengals lose and the Jets, Raiders win or the Jets win and Raiders, Bengals lose. 2 out of 16 odds
The Raiders are eliminated from the wildcard spot if the Broncos lose. 0 out of 16 odds
The Bengals are the wildcard if they Jets or Titans do not get it. 12 out of 16 odds

So...

The Broncos have 24 possible ways to make the playoffs (all as division winners) with either a win or a Raiders loss.
The Raiders have 11 possible ways.
The Bengals have 22 possible ways (all as a wildcard).
The Titans have 4 possible ways.
The Jets have 3 possible ways.

---

For the NFC, I think it's fairly simple. I know the Cowboys and Giants will now play for their division. The Falcons and Lions just need to win 1 game. The Bears and Seahawks need to win out and the Falcons or Lions need to lose out.

RaiderNation
12-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow lol, I am liking the Raiders odds even though we aren't the "likely" winners. All we can control is beating San Diego, which I think is very possible with the Chargers maybe firing Turner after losing today against the Lions. The Chiefs will atleast give the Broncos a tough game, and you know Orton will want to show up Denver for what they did to him this year.

descendency
12-24-2011, 05:44 PM
The Raiders actually have a decently easy path.

Either the Broncos lose and they win or they need the Ravens to beat the Bengals and The Texans to beat the Titans. The Jets game is irrelevant.

XxXdragonXxX
12-24-2011, 05:59 PM
For Seattle, They need to win out, the Falcons need to lose out and Chicago needs to win out. If that happens Seattle wins the 3 way tiebreaker.

For Chicago, They needs to win out and the Falcons need to lose out, and Seattle has to lose 1. Chicago wins the tiebreaker over ATL.

CashmoneyDrew
12-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm pretty sure there's like 8 ways the Titans can make it.

Complex
12-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I hope the Ravens game is 1pm game that way they play their starters against Cinci just in case the Pats lose.

descendency
12-24-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure there's like 8 ways the Titans can make it.

I think you are including a potential possibility that SD wins their game? Because the Titans can only advance in a 3 way tie.

CashmoneyDrew
12-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I think you are including a potential possibility that SD wins their game? Because the Titans can only advance in a 3 way tie.

Possibly. I read it from a Titans beat writer, but it was before the Chargers game.

coordinator0
12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I hope the Ravens game is 1pm game that way they play their starters against Cinci just in case the Pats lose.

We're battling PIT for the #2 seed, I don't think there's any way we don't play our starters.

Clarkpba
12-24-2011, 08:13 PM
the Cinci vs. baltimore game has allready been flexed to 4:15 sunday.

gpngc
12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
^That helps the Jets. Houston will definitely be playing it's starters at 1PM against Tennessee... Good.