PDA

View Full Version : AP, probably tore ACL.. Maybe structural damage as well.

elway=goat
12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_adrian_peterson_knee_injury_122411

Two sources indicated that Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson likely tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and additional structural damage during a 33-26 win over the Washington Redskins on Saturday. The team source indicated Peterson appeared to have a torn ACL from an on-field test that was conducted after Peterson was carried off the field.

“The way they were talking, I’ll be happy if it’s just the ACL,” the source said. “We’re all hoping he’s good. You never know for sure, but it didn’t sound good the way everybody was talking.”

A second source wrote via text message that there was “no official word yet but it is not good.” When asked if Peterson tore the ACL, an injury that would likely require surgery and roughly six months of rehabilitation, the source wrote: “Maybe more than that too.”

Peterson, who missed three games earlier this season with a high left ankle sprain, finished the day with 38 yards and scored a touchdown. For the season, he has 970 yards and 12 touchdowns. Barring a significant turn of events, Peterson will miss next week’s season finale against the Chicago Bears and will face a long process to get ready for next season.

Prior to the season, Peterson signed a seven-year, $100 million contract extension. The deal included $36 million guaranteed.

It is the second straight season in which Peterson was sidelined against the Redskins. He suffered a right ankle injury in the second quarter of last year’s matchup against Washington and did not return.

This is even worse news, to an already bad season for the Vikings. If it is indeed, as bad as they think it might be, AP might never be the same again.

Ness
12-24-2011, 09:12 PM
It sucks when you have a losing season you almost want to bench your starting running back if they are indeed a superstar like Peterson. No point in getting him injured like this.

cvv84
12-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Ouch that really sucks! Especially considering the Vikings have little to play for and it happened this late in the season. Even though he plays for a division rival he's someone I've always liked and respected, hopefully he can get back to his elite form. Must really suck seeing they backed the $$$ truck up to his door this past offseason.

A Perfect Score
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
He's the best RB in football. This is such a huge blow to the Vikings and the NFL in general. Really unfortunate to see, I hope he recovers quickly and still has the burst and power that make him such a terror right now.

BeerBaron
12-24-2011, 09:58 PM
As a Bears fan, I should be happy, but as a fan of good football and good players, this is a major bummer.

I prefer to beat people fairly on the field, not see them get hurt. I know the connection will be made 1000 times between now and when he next plays again, but when Culpepper tore...everything....he never fully recovered. I feel as though that will only be worse for a running back.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-24-2011, 09:58 PM
He's the best RB in football. This is such a huge blow to the Vikings and the NFL in general. Really unfortunate to see, I hope he recovers quickly and still has the burst and power that make him such a terror right now.

This. Get well soon AD.

vikes_28
12-24-2011, 10:05 PM
what a ****** christmas present.

Breed
12-24-2011, 10:08 PM
So he misses all of next season also?

bigbuc
12-24-2011, 10:09 PM
The guy will be back... It's a major blow but I think this guy has the heart, will and tools to come back from this better than ever.

MetSox17
12-24-2011, 10:16 PM
They've confirmed that it's at the very least a torn MCL and ACL. I mentioned in the gameday thread that it looked eerily similar to McGahee's injury at Miami, and i wouldn't be surprised if AD's is as damaged as well. Just such a sad thing to happen, AD is one of the last guys you wanna see hurt like this.

And this is why you can't blame the guy for signing his contract extension. You never know when someone is gonna take your knee out like that. Sucks for the Vikings though, they have a ton of money sunk into him at this point.

eltwentyone
12-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Can he recover? Can he become old Adrian? or is he done?

CJSchneider
12-24-2011, 11:38 PM
uu4h2DZQxAI

That does not look good.

descendency
12-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Even if he does recover (which last time I saw the numbers is around 75% chance), he will see a significant drop in his performance for a year after his first snap.

I would avoid him in fantasy until 2013.

BeerBaron
12-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I remember seeing McGahee's live and am still disturbed to this day. I didn't see this one and have no desire to....

wogitalia
12-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Worst Christmas ever.

TitleTown088
12-25-2011, 12:15 AM
uu4h2DZQxAI

That does not look good.

That angle doesn't do it justice.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/836048/peterson_medium.gif

They said no PCL damage, which is good news I suppose. But from what I read they will wait for the MCL to heal before they operate on the ACL which will not help his chances of starting next season in good shape.

BeerBaron
12-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Why the **** would you post that after saying I didn't want to see it. God dammit.

Not as bad as McGahee's though. Probably 2nd worst I've ever seen.

******* knee injuries...

Complex
12-25-2011, 12:22 AM
This is why players hold out and this also why I hate when fans cry about players holding out in football. Players should always look out for their best interest. I hope he recovers and good thing he got paid already.

BeerBaron
12-25-2011, 12:26 AM
This is why players hold out and this also why I hate when fans cry about players holding out in football. Players should always look out for their best interest. I hope he recovers and good thing he got paid already.

Meh. They sign the contract and know the risks. If they're that worried, take out that injury insurance that big college players get their last years at schools. It may cost you a lot now, but you'll make it back on that 2nd contract when you get it. And if you do get hurt, you're protected at least a little bit.

Complex
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Meh. They sign the contract and know the risks. If they're that worried, take out that injury insurance that big college players get their last years at schools. It may cost you a lot now, but you'll make it back on that 2nd contract when you get it. And if you do get hurt, you're protected at least a little bit.

How much do you get out of those injury insurance things like 8 million tops? I rather hold out then only get 8 million dollars.

marshallb
12-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Why the **** would you post that after saying I didn't want to see it. God dammit.

Not as bad as McGahee's though. Probably 2nd worst I've ever seen.

******* knee injuries...

That one is no where near Shaun Livingston's(NBA player) which is by far the worst I've ever seen. I would definitely suggest not watching it so I'm not gonna post it, but if you feel like it(and I have no idea why you would), just youtube search it. ******* gross. It resulted in a torn ACL, PCL, MCL, meniscus, and dislocated knee cap and tibia.

BloodBrother
12-25-2011, 02:30 AM
I got McGahee vibes from seeing that as well. Just brutal. Hate the Vikes with a passion but was a proud AP owner in fantasy since he broke into the league. Best RB in the NFL and was just ridiculous to watch. Terrible news

MetSox17
12-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Yeah, Shaun Livingston's injury is by far the worst and most gruesome knee injury i've seen in sports. Poor guy, he has my utmost respect for recovering from that and still playing.

BloodBrother
12-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Most gruesome knee/leg injury I ever saw was that Napoleon McCallum injury. Just horrific stuff

AP is a tough mofo, so I hope he gets through this and is still the same, even though that means he likely shreds the Pack D.

J-Mike88
12-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Most gruesome knee/leg injury I ever saw was that Napoleon McCallum injury. Just horrific stuff.
I saw that one too, a Monday Night game... awful to the Raider and former Navy mishipman.

I still haven't looked closely at this one.... the McGahee one WAS horrifying and I said THEN that those are cheap, reckless tackles, because that can happen.... tackle like we were taught for years.

Head up, look at what you're going after..... hit him in the waist or chest.

I hate the Vikings as much as die-hard Viking fans hate the Packers, but there's also respect. And I hate hate to see these injuries. Look at the way this guy tackled him.... that's reckless. ***** tackling. Puzzy-ass diving into the knee. Gansgsta.

You wonder why the NFL tried to prevent those knee injuries with the Brady rule? *******-A, I feel terrible for Adrian because, like McGahee, he will never even resembly the player he was, that God-given ability was unreal.

I think he was right up there with Bo Jackson (hip injury ended his career), and Marcus DuPree (another early bad injury) as the perfect specimens for the RB position. It's like a ******* car wreck out there with guys diving from all directions at the knees. I thought Louis Delmas was the one who'd take out AP's knee one day.....

ATLDirtyBirds
12-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Can he recover? Can he become old Adrian? or is he done?

It's doubtful he'll ever have that same explosiveness. The fact that he's such a phsyical freak/hardworker/beast leads me to believe he can still be a very good back in the league though. Just tough to imagine him being as special as he was.

JBCX
12-25-2011, 09:03 AM
As a Bears fan, I should be happy, but as a fan of good football and good players, this is a major bummer.

Besides, as a Bears fan the Vikings should be the least of your concerns, seeing as how the Lions and Packers will run that division for the next decade.

Brent
12-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Shaun Livingston's injury is by far the worst and most gruesome knee injury i've seen in sports. Poor guy, he has my utmost respect for recovering from that and still playing.
why on earth would you remind me of that? why?

Larry
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
It's doubtful he'll ever have that same explosiveness. The fact that he's such a phsyical freak/hardworker/beast leads me to believe he can still be a very good back in the league though. Just tough to imagine him being as special as he was.

Agreed, I don't think he'll be the same.

CC.SD
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Terrible news, awful timing.

J-Mike88
12-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I farking hate knee injuries..... nobody can come back and be even 90% of what they were before an injury this significant. And it might be more than the ACL and MCL even.

Wish there was a way these could be prevented but it's gonna happen in this sport.

Who was the Viking WR in that clip who couldn't block that CB? Can't tell if it was Harvin..... damn him.

Peterson would have been a lock for the Hall of Fame had he not had the catastrophic injury. I wonder how his career will now compare to Terrell Davis and Gale Sayers'.

God could not have created better specimen's for the RB position than Peterson, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Dupree, and because of injuries, none of them were able to fulfill that potential, although AP and Bo did it for a short stretch. ******* cocksucking injuries. Don't dive at the front or side of knees!

marshallb
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
why on earth would you remind me of that? why?

Sorry Brent, it was actually me who brought that up. I apologize.

descendency
12-25-2011, 01:18 PM
When I think of 'worst injury I've seen (to the leg)' I think of Ed McAffery and Eric Wood. If there is worse, I can't say I want to see it.

Brent
12-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry Brent, it was actually me who brought that up. I apologize.
the image of his leg in that moment is just... it's what nightmares are made of

When I think of 'worst injury I've seen (to the leg)' I think of Ed McAffery and Eric Wood. If there is worse, I can't say I want to see it.
YouTube: Shaun Livingston injury

brat316
12-25-2011, 02:19 PM
new rule soon to come?

Crazy_Chris
12-25-2011, 02:27 PM
new rule soon to come?

Doubt it, he isn't a QB.

posted this in the vikes thread

This is a very sad day...But this was bound to happen sooner or later. As those ***** defenders are too ******* weak to tackle AD like a real man so they all go low. It was only a matter of time until one of them took out one of his knees.

MetSox17
12-25-2011, 02:34 PM
For the not-so-squeemish.

Y1VLN2dlbV0

TitleTown088
12-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I farking hate knee injuries..... nobody can come back and be even 90% of what they were before an injury this significant. And it might be more than the ACL and MCL even.

Wish there was a way these could be prevented but it's gonna happen in this sport.

Who was the Viking WR in that clip who couldn't block that CB? Can't tell if it was Harvin..... damn him.

Peterson would have been a lock for the Hall of Fame had he not had the catastrophic injury. I wonder how his career will now compare to Terrell Davis and Gale Sayers'.

God could not have created better specimen's for the RB position than Peterson, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Dupree, and because of injuries, none of them were able to fulfill that potential, although AP and Bo did it for a short stretch. ******* cocksucking injuries. Don't dive at the front or side of knees!

What in the world are you talking about?

You do realize football isn't played in slow-motion reply like you see it on TV? Yet you say "damn him" about Harvin and "don't dive". It was an unfortunate accident that happens in a game like football being played very quickly.

And this isn't 1950, AD isn't done for good and I'm not sure where you come up with this arbitrary 90%?

Also, this may be ab bad as Livingston's

LT4kAKB2CT8

Flyboy
12-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Really don't understand why AD wasn't put on IR after the ankle injury honestly... but that could be just me.

BeerBaron
12-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Really don't understand why AD wasn't put on IR after the ankle injury honestly... but that could be just me.

A 2-14 season would look REALLY bad while trying to get a new stadium. 4-12 may not be much better to us, but if a few more wins could sway the minds of the government/voters/whoever, they had to try and play him.

It's ****** when real world problems affect what teams have to do on the field.

Flyboy
12-25-2011, 04:35 PM
True, but not you've maybe risked the long term success of the team regardless of the location which such an awful injury to AD. Just not worth it if I was in that position, but then again if a player is healthy then a coach is going to play them regardless of W-L record or draft position.

Wodwo
12-25-2011, 04:40 PM
This is really sad news for the Vikings, their fans, and really the entire NFL.

Adrian Peterson is a bawse. He may not be 100% the same, but I believe that he will come back and continue to be a force in this league. I know it isn't even close to the same type of injury or situation, but Frank Gore tore his ACL in both knees in college, had surgery on both of his shoulders after his rookie year, and broke his hip last season. He's currently fourth in the NFL in rushing yards and the all time leading rusher in 49ers franchise history.

Peterson can do this. There is no doubt in my mind.

prock
12-25-2011, 04:55 PM
True, but not you've maybe risked the long term success of the team regardless of the location which such an awful injury to AD. Just not worth it if I was in that position, but then again if a player is healthy then a coach is going to play them regardless of W-L record or draft position.

AP is a competitor. He wanted to play. You can't bench your best player if he is 100%. That just isn't how the game is played. It's absolutely terrible luck and as a fan it's the worst feeling, but it really is just bad luck. It could happen to any player on any play in any game. Terrible luck, no one's fault. Just that kind of a season in Minnesota.

phlysac
12-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I'll have flash-backs to the McCallum injury the rest of my life. I remember that more than Jerry Rice breaking the NFL TD record the same game.

Major props for Norton, Jr. for patiently laying there.

J-Mike88
12-25-2011, 06:38 PM
But this was bound to happen sooner or later. As those ***** defenders are too ******* weak to tackle AD like a real man so they all go low. It was only a matter of time until one of them took out one of his knees.
I agree...funny a Packer fan & Viking fan agreeing, but I hate those damn ***** defenders who ain't man enough to tackle like a man, instead they go low at the knees.... Louis Delmas is the Queen of that, ask Olvie of the Falcons about that.

yo123
12-25-2011, 06:40 PM
You're supposed to tackle low, if you tackle AD high you don't tackle him.

Goddamnit people it was a freak play no one is to blame.

nepg
12-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Feel really bad for AD's entire career, to be honest. I'm just glad he got paid before this happened. The Vikings have gotten worse every year he's been there, but have had innumerable opportunities to be the best team in the NFL by a wide margin, but ****** it up at every turn.

yo123
12-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Feel really bad for AD's entire career, to be honest. I'm just glad he got paid before this happened. The Vikings have gotten worse every year he's been there, but have had innumerable opportunities to be the best team in the NFL by a wide margin, but ****** it up at every turn.

His first three years we improved our regular season record and went farther in the playoffs every year.

And he's one of the main reasons we lost to the Saints in '09, so he's not without blame here.

BeerBaron
12-25-2011, 07:27 PM
His first three years we improved our regular season record and went farther in the playoffs every year.

And he's one of the main reasons we lost to the Saints in '09, so he's not without blame here.

Unless he was the twelfth man in that huddle or changed into a #4 jersey before that pick, he was the 3rd reason at the highest.

MetSox17
12-25-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure i even wanna see that MacCallum injury, but the only other knee injury i can remember being as bad as Livingston's is Joe Theismann's. Career ending.

marshallb
12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure i even wanna see that MacCallum injury, but the only other knee injury i can remember being as bad as Livingston's is Joe Theismann's. Career ending.

Well, Theismann's was an ankle, but frankly I feel like the Livingston injury is quite a bit worse looking than MacCallum's.

MetSox17
12-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, Theismann's was an ankle, but frankly I feel like the Livingston injury is quite a bit worse looking than MacCallum's.

It was neither, it was the tibia and fibula.

Scotty D
12-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Tyrone Protho? Was that his name? That was one of the worst.

DHVF
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Tyrone Protho? Was that his name? That was one of the worst.
http://static.flickr.com/27/49152603_2e9c97fbe6.jpg

J-Mike88
12-25-2011, 08:55 PM
http://static.flickr.com/27/49152603_2e9c97fbe6.jpg
MuthaFucker.... please no video of that.
I've never seen that... how the hell does that happen there, on natural grass too it looks like... my kids are going to play golf & tennis only thank you.

yo123
12-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Unless he was the twelfth man in that huddle or changed into a #4 jersey before that pick, he was the 3rd reason at the highest.

If he didn't fumble 12 billion times before that including one at the goal line, we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

phlysac
12-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Well, lots of breaks are disgusting. The knee tends to be stronger and doesn't often result in freakish injuries, visually. McCallum, and Livingston being some of the exceptions.

All hopes for a fast and full recovery for AD.

marshallb
12-25-2011, 10:06 PM
It was neither, it was the tibia and fibula.

I guess you're right there. I only remembered it being right above/around the ankle.

nepg
12-26-2011, 04:03 AM
I mean, if you want nasty leg injuries, you can look up Corey Hill. I don't like seeing that ****. I just don't.

I do wish they'd concentrate more on knee injuries and ligament tears than concussions, though. The concussions are kind of obvious. They don't want to give up the cool looking hard plastic helmets for something safer. Whatever. Quit diverting attention from real issues, NFL.

wogitalia
12-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't get people saying that Peterson shouldn't have been playing. Sounds like a whole bunch of people who've never played a competitive sport in their life because if you are right to play you play, by that ridiculous theory Peterson shouldn't have suited up at the start of the season because everyone knew that the Vikes season was over before we played a game and had no chance of winning.

Just stupid, as someone who has blown out their knee at training it just makes no sense anyway, it is a freak injury that happens out of nowhere, you can't control it. He could have just as easily have done it at training, should he have not been training if that had happened? If he'd done it playing as a gunner on special teams or something, blame the the team but otherwise you just can't blame the team for it.

As for the tackler, that was a good fair tackle. You are an idiot if you try and hit a guy who has 30lbs on you and is going at full speed head on, not to mention that the NFL has been changing rules to make those types of tackle a risk(see Harrison and his fines), quite simply if you go high and there is helmet contact you are putting yourself at financial and suspension risk as well as making it more likely you miss the tackle and get injured yourself. That was just unlucky that Peterson's foot was stuck in the ground, he has been hit like that probably a 100 times in his career and it was just purely bad luck how it came out.

These guys are as well compensated as they are because they are putting their bodies on the line, you don't hope for injuries, heck you don't expect them but you aren't surprised when they happen either, it is just an unfortunate and uncontrollable part of the game, always annoys me when people try and blame someone for an injury on a legitimate football play. Dirty hits, sure, but don't blame a guy for making a good football play.

whatadai
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I mean, if you want nasty leg injuries, you can look up Corey Hill. I don't like seeing that ****. I just don't.

I do wish they'd concentrate more on knee injuries and ligament tears than concussions, though. The concussions are kind of obvious. They don't want to give up the cool looking hard plastic helmets for something safer. Whatever. Quit diverting attention from real issues, NFL.

I can't eat noodles for awhile now.

vikes_28
12-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't eat noodles for awhile now.

Aren't you asian?