PDA

View Full Version : End of Season Thoughts

bigbluedefense
12-24-2011, 10:03 PM
First and foremost I wanna say happy holidays to everyone. Merry Christmas, happy Chanukah (oh yeah, I threw the C in there), and a shout out to Kwanza too. We all love football, but the holidays are about family, friends, and being grateful for what we have. So let's keep life in perspective, win or lose, we all have something to be grateful for, no matter how bad we may have it.

Having that said, since I don't get on here as much as I used to, I wanted to wrap up some end of season thoughts I have since I know I probably won't get to do this next week.

Darrelle Revis, I just can't say enough about this guy
My man crush on Revis is well documented. But I can't overstate how good this guy is. A lot of times with the reigning "shut down corner" of the league, the guy develops such a reputation that teams just don't throw at him, and after awhile, it becomes a mistake bc most of em can be had if you have the courage to throw on them all game. Nmandi is an example of that. Once he got out of the AFC West and actually played against some real quarterbacks (outside of Rivers), he got exposed.

But Revis is just a monster. If you played the position, you would respect his game even more bc of how flawlessly he plays it. His technique is amazing. He times his swats perfectly, he knows exactly when to rip arms, he has amazing body control, he times his jumps perfectly, he's an obvious tape junky bc he knows the routes before you run them, he's perfect at knowing when to cover a guy like glue and when to bait a qb into throwing, he knows how to use his left hand when going left and right when going right (an underrated trait in CBs), he can tackle, he can play zone, he can play man, he can do everything.

I really can't say it enough. Today, the Giants threw at Revis. A lot. And failed. A lot. This isn't a guy who just has a reputation for being dangerous to throw at. He really is dangerous to throw at. We must have threw at him a good 10 times today, and completed 1 maybe 2. That's it.

I can say without hestitation that he's the best CB I've seen since Deion Sanders, and if he keeps this up, he will give Deion a run for his money as the best CB of all time. He really is that good.

He will definitely be a first ballot HOFer by the end of his career. I'm confident enough in his abilities to say that.

The 49ers have the best defense in football
I'm not sure if they have the best statistical defense, but it's the best. They have play makers in all 3 levels, Justin Smith is a beast, Willis and Bowman are studs who absolutely patrol the middle of the field, and Carlos Rogers is quietly having a PB year. He was always a great CB, he just couldn't catch a cold. Now he's magically catching INTs and the results are showing.

And Aldon Smith is DROY in my eyes. This guy is going to be special. He's long, he's fast, he's strong, he can bullrush, he can dip and rip, he has unbelievable pass rushing ability. I think he has potential to be very special. And by very special I mean top 5 pass rusher in the league special. He's got the athleticism and he knows how to use it.

What makes SF's defense so great is they can swallow the run with 7 guys in the box. And they're dominant in the redzone. It all comes down to their ILBs. When you have 2 ILBs who can patrol the middle of the field and you can stuff the run with 7, it is very hard to score touchdowns bc they can play 2 deep all game to take away the deep pass, they have ILBs who can run down the seams and take away your TE which is your 2 deep safety killer, and they have a pass rush that can get there. And they have a shut down CB. They have all the ingredients you need in today's NFL.

If they can get away with hiding Alex Smith, this team can be very dangerous in the playoffs. The defense is SB caliber. The run game is SB caliber. If they can get enough out of the passing game, this team can beat GB.

The Packers can be beat
If I'm a Packers fan, I'm getting a little worried. Jennings won't be back until the playoffs and won't be 100%, the oline is injured, and the defense is still mediocre. This team is starting to show some kinks in the armor. They're still the front runners out of the NFC, but I don't think it's a lock by any means.

And playing in GB could be a problem for them. What if it snows and they're playing the 49ers in the NFCCG? That's a problem. SF is built (at least superficially) to play in those conditions better than GB. All I'm saying is, it would not surprise me at all if GB gets beat in the playoffs. 3 weeks ago I wouldn't say that, but now, with the team kind of wearing down and not firing on all cylinders lately, I would be a little nervous.

It's so frustrating being a Giants fan
So all week the players begged Perry Fewell to simplify the defense, run more man coverage and blitz, and we did that today. The result? We had a great defensive outing. Why is this so hard to comprehend for our coordinators? You know how frustrating it is watching your defense rush 3 and sit back in soft coverages every week knowing damn well that the talent on the field is so much better than it's 30th rank? I just don't get it.

Now watch us rush 3 and let Romo eat us for dinner again next week. It's so frustrating. It's so obvious what this defense is built to do, yet the only DC we had with a brain who could figure it out on a weekly basis was Steve Spagnuolo. It's very very very frustrating.

Btw, Osi getting hurt was the best thing to happen to our defense. JPP is a beast in the making. Makes me wonder how many sacks he would get if he started all season. He has 16 on the season and he was basically on the bench for a good 6 games coming in as a rotational guy playing NT in a 3 man rush or playing as an inside rusher when he's clearly at his best at RE. Yeah...I know....god I hate Perry Fewell...

The Houston Texans really blew a great chance this year
The Texans when healthy, were the best team in the AFC. They have by far the best oline in the league, they have 2 great RBs, the best WR in the game, and Wade fixed the defense (along with some great draft picks). JJ Watt is a beast, Cushing is doing well now that he cycled to HGH (enjoy it while you can you Bergen Catholic turd -Jersey guys know what I'm talking about here-), and Jonathan Joseph was a great signing. Their oline is so good, the holes they open up for Foster are just huge sometimes. Taking nothing away from Foster though, he's a beast. He has it all the speed, the power, he can cut, he can catch, he can run you over, he has patience and vision, he's a top 5 RB in this league.

It's just a shame, bc it's almost a lock that they'll be 1 and done in the playoffs. What could have been. They really had a great shot this year, but injuries killed them.

Lose out on Luck, and see your best player since Randy Moss tear his ACL and possibly more on a meaningless game he had no business playing in
Yup...another day at the office for Vikings fans...

Heyward Bey or Crabtree?
Kind of amazing that we're having this conversation isn't it? If you told me we'd be having this conversation before the season, I'd laugh. I thought both were huge disappointments. But both have really come on as of late. It really makes me wonder how both of these guys would do with franchise qbs. As for who I would take....I don't know. I think I'm going Crabtree. Maybe I'm not justified in saying this, but I just don't trust DHB to make the catch with the game on the line. I just don't trust his hands. Crabtree can go and get the ball. I know that. And I think if Alex Smith wasn't such a captain checkdown, Crabs would have better stats. Although he's come on lately statistically.

But it's nice to see both of them do well. That was arguably the best WR draft class in a long while. Everybody hit on their WRs. Well...except the Browns...

Don't read too deep into this Eagles/Cowboys game
It's pretty obvious once the Cowboys found out the game was meaningless, they didn't give a damn. And they shouldn't. No need to play your players in a meaningless game.

I want to root for the Lions, I really do, but
Schwartz is just a giant turd. And I can't root for him. It's pretty obvious that the Lions are dirty bc Schwartz preaches it. He coached a dirty defense in Tennessee, and now the whole Lions team has taken his dirty attitude. I like physicality, and I like my team being dirty to a certain degree, bc quite frankly, in order to be a physical team, you have to be a little dirty too. They go hand in hand in many ways. But he crosses the line.

Having that said, they're a dangerous team in the playoffs. Their inexperience and them being a dome team can hurt them, but they can score. And Stafford is a stud. Out of all the qbs in the league right now without a ring, you can make a strong argument that Stafford is the best of the bunch. Is it too early to say that? Probably, which is why Rivers still holds that crown for now, but I'm thinking Stafford could take that crown away from him very soon.

I don't know what to make of Sanchez anymore
Hes not as bad as the haters make him out to be. He's not as good as his supporters make him out to be.

He has decent stats, I think he has like 29 overall touchdowns on the season, and he improves his qb rating in the 4th quarter. Which shows me that he's progressing as a passer, when your qb rating improves over the course of the game as a developing qb, that typically means you're figuring out the defense and you're maturing as a passer.

But then you see him play, and man, sometimes he just looks awful. Absolutely awful. He's an enigma. He plays great in the playoffs, he's shown he's clutch in the playoffs, but then he also shows that when you need him to come through he can lay a monster egg (this season being an example of that, he's laid multiple eggs with the game on the line this season). But then he'll also bounce back and have a great game, and make some clutch plays the next week.

Then he'll follow that up with a Gabbert-esque performance. I just don't know what to make of this guy anymore. I've been a supporter of his for awhile, but I'm starting to hop off the train. This year, from my perspective, he just doesn't look like a good quarterback. He doesn't. Even if the #s tell you otherwise, I've seen every Jets game this season, and the guy just doesn't look good out there.

I think I'm done with Sanchez. I'm not going to defend him anymore.

Having that said, all you Freeman lovers need to man up and admit he sucks too
I was very hesitant on hopping on the Freeman bandwagon last year. Every time people asked me my thoughts on him, I kept saying I want to see more. Well, this year hes been absolutely awful, and he was awful his rookie year too.

In fact, if you want to look at their respective careers up to this point, Mark Sanchez has had the better career. He's the better qb so far. Yet you don't hear nearly as much Freeman hate. Maybe he rebounds and comes back next year, but as of right now, I don't understand why this guy gets a pass and Sanchez gets crucified.

It's nice to see Chris Long finally panning out
I was a huge fan of his. The light finally came on. Good for him. The Rams have potential on the dline with him and Quinn moving forward. Laurenitis is a great ILB too. They need a whole new secondary though. And that oline blows.

I know Kalil is the popular choice for the Rams, but they missed on so many olinemen already, and I think you gotta add weapons to the offense. I say you draft Justin Blackmon and don't look back. Unless you land the 1st pick. Then you trade Luck to the highest bidder and use those picks to rebuild your team.

And please fire Spagnuolo so we can bring him back. Please.

**** the Eagles
Yeah. Sorry. I still hate your guts. Easily the team I hate the most in the NFL.

That's all for now.

Bulldogs
12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
People should have known Freeman was due to regress after last season and their easy schedule. That being said, I think he is somewhere in between how he played then, and how he is doing now. IMO he's not the Roethlisberger people were claiming him to be, but he's still a top 10-15 QB, and very serviceable.

ArkyRamsFan
12-24-2011, 10:27 PM
BBD,

Thanx for the love for Chris Long; he's been a monster all year on a crappy Rams team that has been out of contention since Week 3.

If the Rams had any kind of freakin' inside push (somebody shoot Fred Robbins, please) he would have another 5 - 6 sacks easy.

Oh, and don't worry about Spags, he's dead man walking and will in all likelihood be back in the NFC East where he belongs. Watch out that he doesn't go to Philly though, he has some history there...

Gotta disagree with your assessment on Kalil though. Doesn't matter how many OL picks we have screwed up, we either fix this lousy O line or watch Sam Bradford become like one of those extras in the "Night of the Living Dead" movie.

P.S. Still one of my favorite movies of all time!!

P.S.S. Congrats on the Giants win today; do you think Coughlin is back next year?

hockey619
12-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh, and don't worry about Spags, he's dead man walking and will in all likelihood be back in the NFC East where he belongs. Watch out that he doesn't go to Philly though, he has some history there...

P.S.S. Congrats on the Giants win today; do you think Coughlin is back next year?

i hate to even think about him with the eagles with the personnel they have...christ that defense would be a terror under him.

i dont like coughlin, i think players are not responding to him anymore and that he needs to go. But i think im in the minority in the respect.

Jvig43
12-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Great write up BBD. Pretty much agree with everything you posted. And I couldn't agree more about the Lions, I want to root for them so badly and I remember saying to a couple of friends at the start of the season that I didn't see how anyone could root against the Lions. Well when every week we have a highlight of someone new on that team acting like a scum bag and pulling some stupid ****, it's almost impossible to root for these guys. And I don't care what the circumstances are or what caused player X to lash out, it's doing nothing but hurting the team and drawing negative attention to them week in and week out. Schwartz is solely to blame for letting his team act like this and I don't see how no one in that organization has realized the implications of these kind of actions.

Brodeur
12-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Great write up BBD. Pretty much agree with everything you posted. And I couldn't agree more about the Lions, I want to root for them so badly and I remember saying to a couple of friends at the start of the season that I didn't see how anyone could root against the Lions. Well when every week we have a highlight of someone new on that team acting like a scum bag and pulling some stupid ****, it's almost impossible to root for these guys. And I don't care what the circumstances are or what caused player X to lash out, it's doing nothing but hurting the team and drawing negative attention to them week in and week out. Schwartz is solely to blame for letting his team act like this and I don't see how no one in that organization has realized the implications of these kind of actions.

They've hurt two players seriously all year, and that was both on Delmas doing knee hits. The Steelers and Ravens hurt more people every ******* week, and that's just TOUGH DEFENSE BEING TOUGH DEFENSE. Seriously, there's been two or three stupid QB hits this season and Stafford losing his **** one time, let it the **** go.

I mean, your teams coach blatantly cheated by filming other teams (honestly don't give a **** but saying), and Eli Manning bitched his way to get to New York in the first place. Am I supposed to cheer for either of those teams? How about having a player far dirtier in Rodney Harrison than anyone on this Lions team will ever be?

Xiomera
12-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Calm down, chief. Cite the examples you make vague, unspecific references to.

1. Suh
2. Ummm ...

RufusMcDaniel
12-24-2011, 11:19 PM

1. Suh
2. Ummm ...

3. Calvin's relentless assault on pass defences.

Unprofessional.

Thecollegedropout
12-24-2011, 11:41 PM
What's wrong with Sanchez? Dude had to throw 59 times in the game today when the running game was averaging nearly 4 yards per carry.

That's the amazing Brian Schottenheimer magic. Owned by Juan Castillo, got outclassed by Perry Fewell now. Its laughable how Rex Ryan lets this man get away with murder on a weekly basis. Seriously who the **** says "Hey let Mark Sanchez throw for nearly 60 times in a game. Running game? Forget that ****!"

I should so make a sign that says.

"If Schotty is back, we riot" sign and hold that in protest or something because there is no justification for this man to be back with the team.

Oh but I can't even get on Schotty too much on the mess that is Wayne Hunter at RT....he too has allowed Sanchez to get spanked on a weekly basis to a point where Sanchez is messed up physically and mentally. That's so on Mr. T.

Hurricanes25
12-24-2011, 11:55 PM
The Jets need a new QB, a #1 WR (Holmes is a 2), a RT, a G, and of course a new OC. That's just on offense.

Complex
12-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I think you wrong about Nnamdi, he is playing to much zone in Philly. I don't think he played any zone in Oakland. He will have a great season next year when they have a DC that knows what he is doing.

I also think the eagles would of destroyed the Cowboys regardless if the Giants won or not or if Romo was healthy.

I disagree with you about the Lions being some evil dirty team.

SickwithIt1010
12-25-2011, 12:43 AM
The eagles will throw the bank at Spags when he is fired. I believe he started his coaching career in Philly and I wouldnt be surprised to see him come (wouldnt be surprised at all to see him back in NYG, either...so dont think this is just a homer statement). He would have a lot of toys to play with in Philly with the pass rushers and corners. As long as we dont get someone who is zone happy like Castillo.

Blitz, blitz, blitz, man coverage...make it happen.

MidwayMonster31
12-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Mangold getting hurt was bad news for the Jets and their run blocking. Greene isn't a game breaking back, but is solid. I don't think Sanchez can carry the offense. Also they need a better right tackle. Von Miller had Wayne Hunter for lunch in the Denver game and he hasn't been that good. The Giants mental mistakes were the only reason the Jets were in this one.

TonyGfortheTD
12-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Lose out on Luck, and see your best player since Randy Moss tear his ACL and possibly more on a meaningless game he had no business playing in
Yup...another day at the office for Vikings fans....

I'm going to shut this down, mainly because it's ridiculous. Even with no playoffs in sight, winning still means a hell of a lot in terms of trying to build a program up (or back up). I'm sure he wanted to play, they paid him a hell of a lot of money to play and a sure way to not help your rookie QB trying to make something happen would be benching the best player on the team.

The Alex
12-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Hey BBD, what are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? You seem like an educated and knowledgeable person, I wanna get your take on him.

yo123
12-25-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm going to shut this down, mainly because it's ridiculous. Even with no playoffs in sight, winning still means a hell of a lot in terms of trying to build a program up (or back up). I'm sure he wanted to play, they paid him a hell of a lot of money to play and a sure way to not help your rookie QB trying to make something happen would be benching the best player on the team.

Not to mention he was 100% back from his injury and the injury today wasn't related. That hit in that spot could have blown out anyone's ACL.

soybean
12-25-2011, 01:50 AM
People should have known Freeman was due to regress after last season and their easy schedule. That being said, I think he is somewhere in between how he played then, and how he is doing now. IMO he's not the Roethlisberger people were claiming him to be, but he's still a top 10-15 QB, and very serviceable.

no. he sucks. good or serviceable qbs dont end the season possibly losing 9 of their last 10.

soybean
12-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Also, no reggie bush mention? sheesh. those posts had so much traffic couple years ago when 90 percent of the board was saying he was a bust couldn't carry the load. Needed a power back to split carries with. couldn't run downhill. takes too long to hit the hill, needs to be converted a wr etc.

top 10 rb this year.

Ness
12-25-2011, 01:53 AM

I don't think it's as simple as the schedule. He might be having a rough year, but I think he has the ability to bounce back. Maybe it's a system thing. Or the NFL figured out some of his tendencies and what he likes to do with the football. He still has loads of potential though and seems like a guy that works hard. The Buccaneers are a mess all over though.

MidwayMonster31
12-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Everything is a mess in Tampa. Mental mistakes are the biggest problem there, especially penalties. There were way too many times this year when the Bucs would penalize themselves into a long distance down or keep their opponents drive alive with a penalty. Drops also hurt Freeman's numbers. Depending on who the new coach is, Freeman will have a lot of work to do to get the Bucs back on track.

Caddy
12-25-2011, 06:03 AM
no. he sucks. good or serviceable qbs dont end the season possibly losing 9 of their last 10.

He hasn't been horrible. Sure he has thrown a large number of picks, but games like today he had nothing to do with the loss. In fact, he was probably our MVP today. When guys like Blount and Winslow keep fumbling and handing the ball over you have a problem. Not to mention our defence is THE worst in the league as is our coaching staff.

Bucs147
12-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I'll wait for next season (when he gets a new coaching staff) before deciding if Josh Freeman is any good. He has been pretty bad this season, but as some already said, everything about Tampa is a mess right now. And he has to play for Greg Olson, who's a freaking idiot. Seriously, the guy got fired in St. Louis after a single season as the OC, so I have no idea how he was able to keep this job three seasons with the Bucs. He's just awful and I can't wait for him to get out of Tampa. He's asking a big mobile QB who's got a cannon arm to dink-and-dunk his way to the endzone. No deep shot. No roll-out or bootleg. No nothing. Olson basically asks Freeman to be that great accurate pocket passer. Here's a tip: He's not. Maybe in 5 years he will be, but right now he isn't. So stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and adjusts your freaking dink-and-dunk offense so it fits Josh's strenght.

Does that excuses Freeman of absolutely everything ? No. He's still making dumb mistakes and poor decisions. Plus, his QB mechanics have been putrid this season (I have no idea what the QB coach is doing, we never see him). However, he's the least of all Tampa's problems. So I'll give Freeman a chance and wait for him to play under some competent and organized coaching staff. Freeman is totally lost right now but he has potential.

As to why nobody talks about Freeman, the reason is simple: He's playing in Tampa. Nobody cares about Tampa, so nobody talks about the Bucs and its players. It's always frustrating as a Bucs fan to watch ESPN or NFLN taking 30 seconds to discuss about the Bucs then shifting back and talking about some team like the Cowboys or the Patriots for a whole hour. I remember Peter King not mentionning Blount's beast mode run versus the Packers in his MMQB. He prefered to talk about BJ Raji 1-yard TD in the same game.

Jvig43
12-25-2011, 10:15 AM

1. Suh
2. Ummm ...

I wrote that very calmly, I'm more disappointed than anything. I'll come back to this when i have more time to clarify, but just to throw out that even yesterday some Dbag started something with the chargers as they were running onto the field. That was just yesterday, thats the kind of stuff I was talking about, not necessarily hurting people (although they've tried that as well).

Also Brody, I full well wont blame people for not cheering for my team due to spygate. That was a stupid thing and I wont even argue against people for being upset about it. You can make all the excuses you want but Ive seen about four lions games this year and the amount of personal penalties they get is a bit ridiculous. My write up was more mentioning how undisciplined they are, they don't deal well with adversity and I understand that its your team but how you always jump to their defense is beyond me (example- you claiming a few weeks ago it was ok for someone to punch another player because they were being held all game long. Thats a terrible argument, and it's done nothing but hurt your team). And lets be careful talking about how Harrison will be more dirty than anyone on the Lions will ever be, I'm fairly certain Harrison never got suspended for dirty play in only his sophmore year as a player.

DanZilla
12-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I think you wrong about Nnamdi, he is playing to much zone in Philly. I don't think he played any zone in Oakland. He will have a great season next year when they have a DC that knows what he is doing.

Agreed completely. Thank you.

BaLLiN
12-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Revis is good, but he gets away with murder

prock
12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Revis is good, but he gets away with murder

Good CBs always do (case and point: Chuck Wood)

LonghornsLegend
12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Agreed completely. Thank you.

All that may be true, but you don't deserve to be talked about like the best CB in the league if your that bad at playing zone or man, or the fact that you can only play in 1 system. Coverage is still coverage, and Aso has looked like a scrub at times. Of course, he'll be at his best when playing man but if he indeed was as bad at playing zone as this year shows him to be then he wasn't worth anywhere near the amount of money he was given, or the credit he was given for one of the league's best CB's.

descendency
12-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Revis should be DPOY. He basically won a number of games for the Jets. And the ones they lost weren't his fault.

soybean
12-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I said it once and I'll say it again, Revis is the best player in the NFL. No other position is there such a large gap between number 1 and number 2.

Except Joe Haden is slowly creeping up.

Brodeur
12-25-2011, 03:10 PM
He would be in consideration for the best player if Stevie Johnson wasn't able to beat him consistently.

prock
12-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I said it once and I'll say it again, Revis is the best player in the NFL. No other position is there such a large gap between number 1 and number 2.

Except Joe Haden is slowly creeping up.

I may be biased, but I think Revis and Peterson are the two best players in the league regardless of position.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 01:48 PM
BBD,

Thanx for the love for Chris Long; he's been a monster all year on a crappy Rams team that has been out of contention since Week 3.

If the Rams had any kind of freakin' inside push (somebody shoot Fred Robbins, please) he would have another 5 - 6 sacks easy.

Gotta disagree with your assessment on Kalil though. Doesn't matter how many OL picks we have screwed up, we either fix this lousy O line or watch Sam Bradford become like one of those extras in the "Night of the Living Dead" movie.

P.S. Still one of my favorite movies of all time!!

I think it's more important right now to get Sam some playmakers. You can't give up on your young OTs just yet. Saffold played great his rookie season, maybe he just had a bad year.

Smith is probably a bust, but you can get a RT later on in the draft. I just think right here right now, getting another OT would be a mistake.

If you have the 1st pick, then trade it for a ransom and get a bunch of pieces, but if you have the 2nd pick, I rather go Blackmon or Clairborne than Kalil with it.

You need to upgrade your skill position talent on both sides of the ball in the worst way.

i hate to even think about him with the eagles with the personnel they have...christ that defense would be a terror under him.

i dont like coughlin, i think players are not responding to him anymore and that he needs to go. But i think im in the minority in the respect.

Players respect Coughlin and they play hard for him. I love Coughlin as a team manager, but his choice of coordinators has haunted him his entire career here.

In a perfect world, I'd like Coughlin back with Spags as his DC, but realistically that won't happen, so if I had my choice of Coughlin back with his current coordinators vs a fresh start, I want the fresh start.

I want a defensive minded HC who will bring stability to our defense. Eli can run the offense all by himself, we don't need an offensive minded coach. We need someone who will run the defense. Preferably a pressure based man coverage guy, something we've been begging for since 06.

They've hurt two players seriously all year, and that was both on Delmas doing knee hits. The Steelers and Ravens hurt more people every ******* week, and that's just TOUGH DEFENSE BEING TOUGH DEFENSE. Seriously, there's been two or three stupid QB hits this season and Stafford losing his **** one time, let it the **** go.

I mean, your teams coach blatantly cheated by filming other teams (honestly don't give a **** but saying), and Eli Manning bitched his way to get to New York in the first place. Am I supposed to cheer for either of those teams? How about having a player far dirtier in Rodney Harrison than anyone on this Lions team will ever be?

They play after the whistle. I don't care about the rest. Playing after the whistle is just a turd thing to do, and Schwartz has taught his units to do it even before he came to Detroit.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
What's wrong with Sanchez? Dude had to throw 59 times in the game today when the running game was averaging nearly 4 yards per carry.

That's the amazing Brian Schottenheimer magic. Owned by Juan Castillo, got outclassed by Perry Fewell now. Its laughable how Rex Ryan lets this man get away with murder on a weekly basis. Seriously who the **** says "Hey let Mark Sanchez throw for nearly 60 times in a game. Running game? Forget that ****!"

I should so make a sign that says.

"If Schotty is back, we riot" sign and hold that in protest or something because there is no justification for this man to be back with the team.

Oh but I can't even get on Schotty too much on the mess that is Wayne Hunter at RT....he too has allowed Sanchez to get spanked on a weekly basis to a point where Sanchez is messed up physically and mentally. That's so on Mr. T.

Schotty is definitely a big part of the problem, but so is Sanchez. The guy doesn't make stick throws.

He puts no touch on the ball, can't make any touch passes with the intermediate throws, lacks the ability to stick the ball into tight windows and just doesn't have the vision that great qbs have.

There were several times when he had an open guy on skinny posts vs the Giants, but he lacks the accuracy and arm strength to fit it in. His limitations are his biggest weakness.

He has improved every year since he started as a rookie though, so I'm not ready to say with finality that he's not a good qb, but at the same time, I wanted to see more this year.

I think next year is a make or break year for him. If he still plays like this last year, then it's official, he's just not a good qb. If the light turns on, then you know you have something.

I also think the eagles would of destroyed the Cowboys regardless if the Giants won or not or if Romo was healthy.

I disagree with you about the Lions being some evil dirty team.

Nmandi was at one time last year, thought to be on par if not better than Revis by a lot of ppl here on this forum. It was wrong then, and ridiculous now. He's not the 2nd best CB in the league and not in the same sentence as Revis.

At one time last year, I mentioned how Nmandi might be overrated, and I got crucified over it. Then when he signed with the Eagles, I like any upset fan at the time, was furious and overreacted to him being an Eagle.

But my initial gut feeling on the guy was accurate. Ballin has been saying it forever too, he actually deserves credit for calling out Nmandi. The guy is a very good press man CB, but he can only play at an elite level in press man on 1 side of the field, and he can't play slot.

Couple the fact that he absolutely sucks in zone, and how is that even the 2nd best CB in the league? That's a flawed player. Jonathan Joseph has outplayed him all season. And I've seen him beat in press man coverage too. It's not like he's some unstoppable force in press man.

The truth is, Nmandi was a very good player who got overrated by the masses bc we all just assumed he was as good as we heard. 90% of us on this forum that were all on his nuts, probably only saw him play 2 times max a season. Even Oakland fans can't say they always saw him bc the games were blacked out half the time! Couple that with him only playing 1 half of the field and going against the opponent's #1 WR half the snaps if that, and the fact that he played in the AFC West that only has 1 qb worth a damn, and he just got overrated as a result.

And you can't say that the team should just play man coverage all game. Bc ask any DC, they'll tell you that's impossible. You will get eaten alive if you play man ALL game, you can play it majority, but not all the time.

So that means Nmandi is going to have to play some zone, and when he does, he can be had.

Very good to great CB? Yes. 2nd best in the league? No. On Revis' level? Hell no.

Hey BBD, what are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? You seem like an educated and knowledgeable person, I wanna get your take on him.

I believe in Tebow. I think he deserves a fair chance to fail before we write him off. I think with more development and a commitment to building an offense around him, he has potential to succeed.

Will he? My brain says no. But I can't ignore the influence he has on his team, and I think he's worth giving a chance.

I'd give him next year, develop the offense around him, and if he succeeds or shows improvement, you keep Tebowmania alive. If he fails, then you move on.

I think by giving him next year with a full commitment, you'll have a large enough sample size to make a fair assessment of him and his potential in this league.

You're not going to get Luck, or RGIII or Jones this year anyway, so the talk of getting a qb is kind of pointless. Build around Tebow, see what he does next year, and then you can determine what direction you want to go next year.

Also, no reggie bush mention? sheesh. those posts had so much traffic couple years ago when 90 percent of the board was saying he was a bust couldn't carry the load. Needed a power back to split carries with. couldn't run downhill. takes too long to hit the hill, needs to be converted a wr etc.

top 10 rb this year.

Bush has been great. I guess all the Bush advocates have been right to a degree, that he just needed a different scheme. I was actually thinking that Bush would have been perfect in Philly, but now that I think of it, he'd be perfect for Houston.

But regardless, you gotta give the man his due. He's had a great bounceback year, and for his sake, hopefully he continues to progress and grow next year and redeem his career.

Xiomera
12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
They play after the whistle. I don't care about the rest. Playing after the whistle is just a turd thing to do, and Schwartz has taught his units to do it even before he came to Detroit.

Yeah, the Lions and every other goddamn team in the NFL. Detroit just isn't as good at subtlety. Their incidents just happened to occur on prime time national TV. Outside of the Green Bay and New Orleans games, you'd be hard pressed to identify others.

ArkyRamsFan
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I think it's more important right now to get Sam some playmakers. You can't give up on your young OTs just yet. Saffold played great his rookie season, maybe he just had a bad year.

Smith is probably a bust, but you can get a RT later on in the draft. I just think right here right now, getting another OT would be a mistake.

If you have the 1st pick, then trade it for a ransom and get a bunch of pieces, but if you have the 2nd pick, I rather go Blackmon or Clairborne than Kalil with it.

You need to upgrade your skill position talent on both sides of the ball in the worst way.

bbd,

I understand where you are coming from and you make a reasonable case; the problem is that if the Rams stay in the top 2 of the draft, there is no way in Gehenna that Justin Blackmon is the 2nd best player on anyone's board.

But Matt Kalil could very well grade out to that level. And, hence, this is why I have him slated to the Rams at this point. Heh!! I say at this point only because I am hoping against hope for the Colts to beat the Jagz so we can get the first pick that we so richly deserve. (GO INDY!!)

If that does happen I am setting my sights squarely on Andrew Luck to see if he might just be the one we select. Yeah, I know trading Brads will incur a massive cap hit, but I am among those Rams fans who are willing to take the plunge to (FINALLY!!) secure the QB position for years to come.

Also, as far as WR are concerned, I would invite you to evaluate all the first round picks that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady throw to....heck, you can count Drew Brees in that group too. When I look at it objectively it just appears that loading up on WRs that are high first rounders isn't all that crucial.

Heh...just thought of this scenario: What if Coughlin is out in NY and comes to St. Louis and replaces Spags who then goes to the Giants? Man, maybe I should lay off the caffeine or something!!

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, the Lions and every other goddamn team in the NFL. Detroit just isn't as good at subtlety. Their incidents just happened to occur on prime time national TV. Outside of the Green Bay and New Orleans games, you'd be hard pressed to identify others.

Every team plays after the whistle, you're right. But the Lions, much like the Schwartz led Titans of yesteryear, really push it. I honestly don't really blame the players for it, which is why I didn't single out any players. To me, this is something that Schwartz is teaching, and that's why I'm calling Schwartz out on it.

He's just a turd. The guy acted like the biggest loser after the SF game, he carries an arrogance about him that hasn't been earned yet, and he teaches his players to play after the whistle. I just don't like the guy bc of that.

Like I said, I want to root for the Lions. Their fans deserve all the success they're having, but it's hard for me to root for Schwartz. He's just a turd.

He's part of the new generation turd HCs that I'm not a big fan of. Rex led that revolution.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
bbd,

I understand where you are coming from and you make a reasonable case; the problem is that if the Rams stay in the top 2 of the draft, there is no way in Gehenna that Justin Blackmon is the 2nd best player on anyone's board.

But Matt Kalil could very well grade out to that level. And, hence, this is why I have him slated to the Rams at this point. Heh!! I say at this point only because I am hoping against hope for the Colts to beat the Jagz so we can get the first pick that we so richly deserve. (GO INDY!!)

If that does happen I am setting my sights squarely on Andrew Luck to see if he might just be the one we select. Yeah, I know trading Brads will incur a massive cap hit, but I am among those Rams fans who are willing to take the plunge to (FINALLY!!) secure the QB position for years to come.

Also, as far as WR are concerned, I would invite you to evaluate all the first round picks that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady throw to....heck, you can count Drew Brees in that group too. When I look at it objectively it just appears that loading up on WRs that are high first rounders isn't all that crucial.

Heh...just thought of this scenario: What if Coughlin is out in NY and comes to St. Louis and replaces Spags who then goes to the Giants? Man, maybe I should lay off the caffeine or something!!

To counter your point, remember, Cam wasn't the #1 player on most teams boards yet he went #1 overall, and also has proven that he was well worth the selection over higher rated players.

I believe in Bradford, I was a huge fan, so I don't think he's the problem at all. And while you're right about Rodgers etc not having a 1st round WR, I cite Stafford and Calvin Johnson as an example of it working.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. A great qb also has great pocket presence. Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Eli, Ben, all these guys don't have stud LTs either. You don't have to have a franchise LT, I honestly think it's become an overrated position, but that's another topic of conversation.

I think Blackmon is a beast, and maaan, that guy is going to be a matchup nightmare. And he's a high character guy too.

Coughlin is like 90 years old lol. If he's fired, he'll retire.

PoopSandwich
12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
My end of season thought is typical of being a Browns fan, this draft is going to be one of the most exciting probably since 2004.

Jvig43
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Every team plays after the whistle, you're right. But the Lions, much like the Schwartz led Titans of yesteryear, really push it. I honestly don't really blame the players for it, which is why I didn't single out any players. To me, this is something that Schwartz is teaching, and that's why I'm calling Schwartz out on it.

He's just a turd. The guy acted like the biggest loser after the SF game, he carries an arrogance about him that hasn't been earned yet, and he teaches his players to play after the whistle. I just don't like the guy bc of that.

Like I said, I want to root for the Lions. Their fans deserve all the success they're having, but it's hard for me to root for Schwartz. He's just a turd.

He's part of the new generation turd HCs that I'm not a big fan of. Rex led that revolution.

Pretty much exactly this, and no it's not just subtlety with the Lions after the whistle, they just are plain flat out going after people much more so than other teams are after plays are whistled dead. I know lions fans want to defend your team, but this nonsense has to stop. Excuses need to stop being made, and just admit your players are hurting the team with this constant ****.

BeerBaron
12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Some random thoughts on your points:

Darrelle Revis, I just can't say enough about this guy

No disagreement here. And quite frankly, if the Jets improved their safeties, he and that entire defense could get even better.

And no, I don't mean get Jim Leonard healthy. I mean actually draft/sign some safeties who aren't 5'8 white guys.

The 49ers have the best defense in football

I think their biggest hang up could be playing a team that spreads them out. They are incredibly solid up front with the best front 7 in the NFL, but I could see them faltering in similar fashion to the Steelers in recent years against teams who spread them out.

Rogers is playing well, but no one else in the defensive backfield seems to be anything more than average. Each time I've watched them, they'll give up some yards between the 20s against good passing teams. They've been able to buckle down well in the red zone, but I wouldn't want to risk that against say, Rodgers and the Packers.

At the end of the day, I think they go as far as Alex Smith can take them. I'm not sure how far that really is, but we'll find out soon enough.

The Packers can be beat

Jennings will be back and the offense will be fine. There isn't a doubt in my mind. The bigger loss lately has been that of Ryan Pickett. He's missed the last several games which has allowed their run D to look as bad as it has been.

It sounds like he'll be back for the playoffs and I think his presence will be a major boost to the run defense which is currently the team's biggest weakness.

You know I agree here. I know your fandom will prevent you from rooting against the team, but the best thing that may happen for the team's long term success would be to lose here and fire EHHHRYBODY. Win here, and I guarantee it doesn't happen....it'll be another year of 3 man rushes, cover 2 zones and draw plays draw plays DRAW PLAYS on offense...

This is one where real world influences how the team plays the game. The Vikings had to go all in for some wins to convince the Minnesota government and voters to build a new stadium. Going from 2-14 to 4-12 might not be much of a difference to us, but that could be huge in the situation there.

It's sad, but I know why they were doing it. In an ideal situation, I would have thrown him onto IR a few weeks ago. This was far from an ideal situation though.

Heyward Bey or Crabtree?

Give me Crabtree. I hate WRs who you can't trust to catch the ball. People like DHB and Ted Ginn piss me off to an insane degree. GET BETTER AT THE PRIMARY FUNCTION OF YOUR ******* JOB OR GTFO.

They will indeed be dangerous in the playoffs, particularly if they work their way to the 5 seed and get the NFC East winner in round 1. I think they could go on the road and take either of those teams pretty easily, and I don't this is a team Green Bay wants to see again. Like you said about Cowboys/Eagles, I wouldn't read too far into this week's Packers/Lions game either. One or both teams could shut it down and rest starters for the playoffs. Them meeting for a 3rd time in the playoffs is probably the last thing the Packers want to see.

Next year will be make or break for him, simple as that. He's sort of a Rex Grossman Lite. The highs and lows aren't quite as extreme as Rexy, but there will be Good Sanchez or Bad Sanchez days.

Like Sanchez, Freeman will also be in a make or break year next year, likely with a new coaching staff. Not an easy circumstance to succeed under, but he'll have to find a way.

Brodeur
12-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Pretty much exactly this, and no it's not just subtlety with the Lions after the whistle, they just are plain flat out going after people much more so than other teams are after plays are whistled dead. I know lions fans want to defend your team, but this nonsense has to stop. Excuses need to stop being made, and just admit your players are hurting the team with this constant ****.

The only pure example I can think of is Fairley slamming Cutler to the ground later than he needed to. Suh's stomp was because the guy kept untying his shoes and his shoe was barely on when he did the stomp, Titus is just a rookie who lost his temper, and that's pretty much it. In the last three games that they've won, the Lions have played perfectly clean outside of a holding call here and there.

And again, going in guys so blatantly results in numerous injuries. The Lions have caused TWO injuries this year, and both were Delmas related technically legal hits.

Jvig43
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
The only pure example I can think of is Fairley slamming Cutler to the ground later than he needed to. Suh's stomp was because the guy kept untying his shoes and his shoe was barely on when he did the stomp, Titus is just a rookie who lost his temper, and that's pretty much it. In the last three games that they've won, the Lions have played perfectly clean outside of a holding call here and there.

And again, going in guys so blatantly results in numerous injuries. The Lions have caused TWO injuries this year, and both were Delmas related technically legal hits.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like a dick I just want to root for the Lions but from the games I've seen (only four) theyve been their own worst enemy (I don't know what the deal was with the Chargers game, but that was bs too). Titus was another guy I was going to mention but didn't because someone else on the team reamed him out on the sidelines afterwards, and I think thats a good thing. Idk I personally would just like to see more discipline with that organization, I love how good Suh is but he hasnt been the smartest player this year. My main point was, it's disappointing because I know they can do well but I think they need to learn how to control the after the whistle incidents (which I think BBD illustrated much better than I did with his last post).

Xiomera
12-26-2011, 05:38 PM

I don't like Schwartz's personality either, but I think you've got a slightly warped take on things.

The consensus seemed to be that Harbaugh was every bit as much of an idiot, and in many people's eyes, even more responsible for that.

To compare Schwartz to Rex Ryan is just wrong.

Xiomera
12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Again, I'm not trying to sound like a dick I just want to root for the Lions but from the games I've seen (only four) theyve been their own worst enemy

We don't want you to root for the Lions.

I was critical of all of these actions you're talking about at the time, but they are isolated incidents by individuals and have been corrected.

Giantsfan1080
12-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Some random thoughts on your points:

You know I agree here. I know your fandom will prevent you from rooting against the team, but the best thing that may happen for the team's long term success would be to lose here and fire EHHHRYBODY. Win here, and I guarantee it doesn't happen....it'll be another year of 3 man rushes, cover 2 zones and draw plays draw plays DRAW PLAYS on offense...

Fewell's contract is up at the end of the year so it's very possible we keep Coughlin and just let Fewell walk.

BeerBaron
12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Fewell's contract is up at the end of the year so it's very possible we keep Coughlin and just let Fewell walk.

Do you think that is what will happen or is that just what you are hoping for?

It's not often we see a coordinator from a playoff team simply "allowed to walk" even if it's deserved.

Jvig43
12-26-2011, 06:05 PM
We don't want you to root for the Lions.

I was critical of all of these actions you're talking about at the time, but they are isolated incidents by individuals and have been corrected.

Eh we'll find out about that going forward. And too damn, I'll root for whoever I damn well please.

Giantsfan1080
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Do you think that is what will happen or is that just what you are hoping for?

It's not often we see a coordinator from a playoff team simply "allowed to walk" even if it's deserved.

I think Reese will let him go no matter what. Reese can't be happy that he amassed a good amount of talent on that side of the ball and Fewell uses them the wrong way. It'll be tough to sell the fan base a Fewell extension after what we've seen this year.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Chances are, if Coughlin comes back, his coaching staff will stay intact unless Fewell gets a HC position somewhere.

I wish we don't extend his contract, but I think it's more wishful thinking on our part. At the end of the day, it's Coughlin who puts together the coaching staff. Remember it was Coughlin who got Fewell to begin with, not Reese.

Reese doesn't interfere with the coaching staff.

JBCX
12-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Man, I hope the Eagles can block the Giants from getting Spags.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Man, I hope the Eagles can block the Giants from getting Spags.

And vice versa. My only hope for why Spags would choose us over Philly is that he'd know that he has a better chance of being the HC in waiting in NY than with Philly.

descendency
12-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Nnamdi is the best press man corner in the NFL, bar none.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
He's really not....

BeerBaron
12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Maybe if that's all he's being asked to do while only staying on one side of the field.

A Perfect Score
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Nnamdi is the best press man corner in the NFL, bar none.

Even if he is, that's not the issue. There are a plurality of corners who succeed in press man. Hell, if Antonio Cromartie got to play press man every single play of his career he'd be a HoF caliber player. In the contemporary NFL, versatility is the name of the game. With the myriad of player packages and such that factor into the gameplan of every single coach in the NFL today, having a player who can succeed in numerous schemes is SO important. As good as Nnamdi is in press, it doesn't really matter a whole hell of a lot if he isn't in Oakland where he's allowed to do it every single play.

Iamcanadian
12-26-2011, 11:58 PM
So all week the players begged Perry Fewell to simplify the defense, run more man coverage and blitz, and we did that today. The result? We had a great defensive outing. Why is this so hard to comprehend for our coordinators? You know how frustrating it is watching your defense rush 3 and sit back in soft coverages every week knowing damn well that the talent on the field is so much better than it's 30th rank? I just don't get it.

Now watch us rush 3 and let Romo eat us for dinner again next week. It's so frustrating. It's so obvious what this defense is built to do, yet the only DC we had with a brain who could figure it out on a weekly basis was Steve Spagnuolo. It's very very very frustrating.

Btw, Osi getting hurt was the best thing to happen to our defense. JPP is a beast in the making. Makes me wonder how many sacks he would get if he started all season. He has 16 on the season and he was basically on the bench for a good 6 games coming in as a rotational guy playing NT in a 3 man rush or playing as an inside rusher when he's clearly at his best at RE. Yeah...I know....god I hate Perry Fewell...

[QUOTE]It always amazes me how fans fail to realize that the HC approves the DC's plans for every game unless the DC has been around for years with a ton of success. Coughlin has to take the blame for any defensive plan that isn't working not just the DC.

The Houston Texans really blew a great chance this year Taking nothing away from Foster though, he's a beast. He has it all the speed, the power, he can cut, he can catch, he can run you over, he has patience and vision, he's a top 5 RB in this league.

Kubiak got a 1000 yard season out of Slaton and just about every RB he has ever coached. He, not Shanahan, was responsible for all the great running totals in Denver and is obviously a genius at scheming a running attack. Foster is just a product of Kubiak's system.

Schwartz is just a giant turd. And I can't root for him. It's pretty obvious that the Lions are dirty bc Schwartz preaches it. He coached a dirty defense in Tennessee, and now the whole Lions team has taken his dirty attitude. I like physicality, and I like my team being dirty to a certain degree, bc quite frankly, in order to be a physical team, you have to be a little dirty too. They go hand in hand in many ways. But he crosses the line.

You had better get used to the Lions winning because they are only going to get better and better.

Hes not as bad as the haters make him out to be. He's not as good as his supporters make him out to be.

He has decent stats, I think he has like 29 overall touchdowns on the season, and he improves his qb rating in the 4th quarter. Which shows me that he's progressing as a passer, when your qb rating improves over the course of the game as a developing qb, that typically means you're figuring out the defense and you're maturing as a passer.

But then you see him play, and man, sometimes he just looks awful. Absolutely awful. He's an enigma. He plays great in the playoffs, he's shown he's clutch in the playoffs, but then he also shows that when you need him to come through he can lay a monster egg (this season being an example of that, he's laid multiple eggs with the game on the line this season). But then he'll also bounce back and have a great game, and make some clutch plays the next week.

Then he'll follow that up with a Gabbert-esque performance. I just don't know what to make of this guy anymore. I've been a supporter of his for awhile, but I'm starting to hop off the train. This year, from my perspective, he just doesn't look like a good quarterback. He doesn't. Even if the #s tell you otherwise, I've seen every Jets game this season, and the guy just doesn't look good out there.

I think I'm done with Sanchez. I'm not going to defend him anymore.

I think you are a year too soon. Sanchez came out of college as a junior with only 16 starts so it should come as no surprise that it is taking time for him to develop. When I look at the Jet's offense, I see a team that wants to run the ball but just doesn't have the RB's to carry out its offense. This allows teams to play the pass first and tell the Jets to beat them by running the ball, something they just don't do very well.

I fully expect the Jets to draft a RB in the coming draft maybe even in round 1 if they want to be a Super Bowl team, their WR's are also overrated and could use some help. They must give Sanchez some real weapons if they expect to go further than they are.

Never mind, that their defense took a huge step backwards with its inability to stop the run. Believe me, Sanchez is the least of their worries.

I was very hesitant on hopping on the Freeman bandwagon last year. Every time people asked me my thoughts on him, I kept saying I want to see more. Well, this year hes been absolutely awful, and he was awful his rookie year too.

In fact, if you want to look at their respective careers up to this point, Mark Sanchez has had the better career. He's the better qb so far. Yet you don't hear nearly as much Freeman hate. Maybe he rebounds and comes back next year, but as of right now, I don't understand why this guy gets a pass and Sanchez gets crucified.

NY market vs the Tampa Bay market, need I say more. Everything is magnified 10x in NY.

I know Kalil is the popular choice for the Rams, but they missed on so many olinemen already, and I think you gotta add weapons to the offense. I say you draft Justin Blackmon and don't look back. Unless you land the 1st pick. Then you trade Luck to the highest bidder and use those picks to rebuild your team.

If it is a choice between Kalil and Blackmon, they should take Kalil, Kalil is an elite prospect, Blackmon is just a very good prospect.