PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Stanzi

KCStud
12-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey guys I'm wondering what your thoughts were on Ricky Stanzi. I'm a big Chiefs fan and I think he could be a good QB. I can't go back to last years threads so if you can bring back a thread on him that would be cool.

I'm wondering how he fell to the 5th round because I liked him more than quite a few prospects coming out last year and a lot this year.

RaiderNation
12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I thought Stanzi was a solid 3rd round QB prospect last year, and the Chiefs made a good choice drafting him in the 5th. Hopefully he can get enough time to develop before throwing him in.

LonghornsLegend
12-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I liked what I saw out of him in pre-season for sure. I think he can be a Matt Moore level QB at least, and if you don't rush him he has some very nice tools to work with. Happy they didn't throw him out there this year, but I'd need to see him in live game action to know what they really have.

FUNBUNCHER
12-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I thought he could be a starter, easy. Maybe not someone though who should be thrown in there as a rookie.

Maybe next year or later, I think Stanzi turns into an asset for the Chiefs.

Brown Leader
12-25-2011, 06:27 PM
First off, hate his name; Great personality/intangibles but, at best, looked like a career back up imo. I thought he was getting overrated by draft guys last year and really, he went where he should have.
I liked what I saw out of him in pre-season for sure. I think he can be a Matt Moore level QB at least, and if you don't rush him he has some very nice tools to work with. Happy they didn't throw him out there this year, but I'd need to see him in live game action to know what they really have.
Really? I only saw a little bit of him this preseason but he looked terrible to me. And I'd say him not getting an opportunity this season despite all the injuries ahead of him also doesn't bode well. Or am I missing something?

LonghornsLegend
12-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Really? I only saw a little bit of him this preseason but he looked terrible to me.

Yes I did. He showed some really good athleticism, feel for the pocket, nice touch, I saw flashes of a good QB there. I wasn't looking for his overall numbers to look good.

And I'd say him not getting an opportunity this season despite all the injuries ahead of him also doesn't bode well. Or am I missing something?

The Jaguars had no business playing Blaine Gabbert this season either, and he's a top 10 pick. I don't think it's any knock on a guy's long term potential because you don't want to rush the development. Alot of good starting QB's didn't start or get to play as rookies.

KCStud
12-25-2011, 08:16 PM
First off, hate his name; Great personality/intangibles but, at best, looked like a career back up imo. I thought he was getting overrated by draft guys last year and really, he went where he should have.

Really? I only saw a little bit of him this preseason but he looked terrible to me. And I'd say him not getting an opportunity this season despite all the injuries ahead of him also doesn't bode well. Or am I missing something?

He actually looked really good this preseason. He played with the 3rd string and ran for his life because he had zero protection. He made some nice plays though and stood tall in the pocket unlike Matt Cassel.

KCStud
12-25-2011, 08:24 PM
A big reason why Stanzi hasn't played is because both coaches are coaching for their jobs.

You don't start a rookie when you're coaching for your job.

Shane P. Hallam
12-25-2011, 09:03 PM
A big reason why Stanzi hasn't played is because both coaches are coaching for their jobs.

You don't start a rookie when you're coaching for your job.

Instead you start Tyler Palko! Wait...

KCStud
12-25-2011, 09:33 PM

And that is how Todd Haley lost his job

nepg
12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
This organization doesn't throw away one plan because another one isn't working. Palko started because that was the guy that Haley chose to be the back-up QB. Stanzi didn't play because the plan was never for him to play. That's why they claimed Orton. They made a new plan instead of scrapping Stanzi's developmental plan because Palko wasn't working (a lot of stuff wasn't working...I don't even feel right putting this much on Palko).

And Stanzi did look really good in the pre-season if you took into account everything that was happening. He played behind a trash OL, and when they let him use the less crappy OL, he looked really good.

Stanzi is athletic, has great leadership qualities, shows strong intangibles, has prototypical size, and has a solid arm that should get better because he has good mechanics.

PossibleCabbage
12-25-2011, 11:00 PM
I think Stanzi has a chance to fit well in the long line of competent by unspectacular signal callers for the Chiefs (Matt Cassel, Brody Croyle, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, etc.) that you really ought to be looking to upgrade if at all possible.

I don't think he's the answer at QB for the Chiefs (neither is Cassel), and I'm a Hawkeye fan.

FUNBUNCHER
12-26-2011, 12:40 AM
I think Stanzi has a chance to fit well in the long line of competent by unspectacular signal callers for the Chiefs (Matt Cassel, Brody Croyle, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, etc.) that you really ought to be looking to upgrade if at all possible.

I don't think he's the answer at QB for the Chiefs (neither is Cassel), and I'm a Hawkeye fan.

Trent Green was kinda awesome in KC.

Abaddon
12-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah, he didn't have much trouble breaking 4K every year with some less than stellar WRs.

PossibleCabbage
12-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Trent Green put up good numbers, but it's not as though the Chiefs as a team were particularly successful with him at the helm.

Halsey
12-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Not that this is a bold prediction, but KC fans will likely fall out of love with Stanzi when he gets on the field and loses that young QB smell. The best thing he has going for him right now is that he hasn't had to play yet.

KCStud
12-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Yeah, he didn't have much trouble breaking 4K every year with some less than stellar WRs.

Trent was average, but looked awesome because of his supporting cast.

Gonzalez is a HOF TE and Priest Holmes was a multiple pro bowler and probably the best rookie free agent ever. Eddie Kennison wasn't a bad WR either. He wasn't great, but he was solid.

KC's OL was the most dominant OL I've ever seen. Look at this line. There is no better OL in NFL history IMO.

Willie Roaf-HOF LT and arguably best ever
Will Shields-HOF LG and arguably best ever
Casey Weigmann-Hasn't missed a snap since 2001. Pro bowler in 09.
Brian Waters-5 time pro bowl G and 2 time All Pro
John Tait-First round pick who was solid in his time in KC

nepg
12-26-2011, 04:48 AM
John Tait wasn't solid in KC, he was an elite RT. He left because he thought he could be an elite LT elsewhere. Damn shame.

PossibleCabbage
12-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Those KC teams in the 90s are really the poster child for "it's not enough to just have an elite offensive line." It's sort of criminal that group didn't win any championships (or, you know, playoff games.)

nepg
12-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Meanwhile, teams with **** OLs keep winning championships.

Miaoww
12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Meanwhile, teams with **** OLs keep winning championships.

I think that's to do with the Bill Polian rules. WR routes don't need time to develop anymore as CBs have to play with one hand tied behind their backs. A smart QB with a quick release (read Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers et al) can fire the ball to the open man in a split second, taking the pass rush (and therefore the offensive line) out of the equation.

nepg
12-26-2011, 08:27 PM
And... This settles everything.

WAR Swinging Dick Ameristanzi

4x2UUWgv1NQ

YoJoeBucsFan
12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
John Tait wasn't solid in KC, he was an elite RT. He left because he thought he could be an elite LT elsewhere. Damn shame.

No.. he left KC because Carl Peterson cussed him up and down during the original rookie contract squabble. I remember that pretty vividly.

nepg
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Because he thought he was an elite LT.

FUNBUNCHER
12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Trent was average, but looked awesome because of his supporting cast.

Gonzalez is a HOF TE and Priest Holmes was a multiple pro bowler and probably the best rookie free agent ever. Eddie Kennison wasn't a bad WR either. He wasn't great, but he was solid.

KC's OL was the most dominant OL I've ever seen. Look at this line. There is no better OL in NFL history IMO.

Willie Roaf-HOF LT and arguably best ever
Will Shields-HOF LG and arguably best ever
Casey Weigmann-Hasn't missed a snap since 2001. Pro bowler in 09.
Brian Waters-5 time pro bowl G and 2 time All Pro
John Tait-First round pick who was solid in his time in KC

How old are you?

Iamcanadian
12-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Great point and pretty well sizes up what the Chiefs really think about Stanzi's potential = none.

ellsy82
12-26-2011, 11:57 PM
As a Hawkeye homer, I can tell you what I saw when he was playing for Iowa. He wins games. Doesn't have the best intangibles or physical abilities...but he's got decent NFL arm strength and knows how to command a huddle.

Kinda surprised they didn't play him when Cassel first went down.

KCStud
12-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Great point and pretty well sizes up what the Chiefs really think about Stanzi's potential = none.

Chiefs are protecting him. We didn't want him to play this year. Only learning, from a good QB coach in Zorn I might add.

Iamcanadian
12-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Chiefs are protecting him. We didn't want him to play this year. Only learning, from a good QB coach in Zorn I might add.

I see, making the playoffs wasn't the team goal which they might have done if Stanzi had real potential as a starter. They'd rather sit him than give him any game experience late in the season, when he's had 13-15 games to learn on the sidelines.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Far more likely, they have zero confidence in his ability to be a NFL starting QB. I don't think you'll ever see him start a NFL game unless the 1st and 2nd string QB's go down in a game and they have no other options.

ellsy82
12-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I see, making the playoffs wasn't the team goal which they might have done if Stanzi had real potential as a starter. They'd rather sit him than give him any game experience late in the season, when he's had 13-15 games to learn on the sidelines.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Far more likely, they have zero confidence in his ability to be a NFL starting QB. I don't think you'll ever see him start a NFL game unless the 1st and 2nd string QB's go down in a game and they have no other options.

Well, if that IS how they decided it, I think they made a mistake. The guy is at least an NFL caliber backup.

Iamcanadian
12-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, if that IS how they decided it, I think they made a mistake. The guy is at least an NFL caliber backup.

And how do you know this? He has never played in a NFL game to make such a judgment.

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Why is it a sin to decide a rookie QB isn't ready to start???
Just because the Chiefs felt an unproven rookie wasn't their best chance to make the playoffs doesn't he's viewed as human garbage by the Chiefs coaching staff.

I think it's beyond rare for an NFL team to expect their franchise to win meaningful football games by starting a rookie under center.

It's a safe bet to assume Stanzi has gotten NO SNAPS in regular season practice. He probably doesn't even run the scout team.

If the Chiefs had started Stanzi to me it means they punted the season.

ChiefMojo
12-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Stanzi will be fine. The Chiefs didn't want to rush him this season and on top of that he may be looked as the back-up QB for KC going forth or until he is ready to lead the Chiefs as the possible starter. It may be another 3 or so years until the point comes. Again no need for the Chiefs to rush him.

A player is always one play away from going in, so Stanzi just needs to prepare to the best of his abilities every week regardless if he is a starter or not.

ellsy82
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
And how do you know this? He has never played in a NFL game to make such a judgment.

I've seen him command a pro-style offense for his entire stay at Iowa. If he's protected, he can make the throws.

nepg
12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Stanzi ran the scout offense exclusively until the week Cassel got hurt. They went with Palko because that's who their backup QB has been. Then Orton became available and they were never forced to use Stanzi.

You can ruin a QB by starting him too early. We've seen it over and over again. The Chiefs were able to avoid starting him early.

From all reports, they think very highly of him and he's definitely an NFL starting QB down the road.

Saints-Tigers
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I can't buy that Stanzi is worse than Palko.

onejayhawk
12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I can't buy that Stanzi is worse than Palko.

What everyone is saying is that he probably is not worse. The decision not to start Stanzi was made for other reasons. Stanzi will need to get live fire, but not yet.

J

Iamcanadian
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Get real guys, unless you come from dizzy u with zero big time football experience in college, NFL starting QB's are pretty well ready to start by game 8 if they have any potential as a starter. KC is out of the playoffs so it should be a normal progression to give a young QB some learning experience with a couple of games left and nothing to lose. He would be under minimum pressure and would gain valuable experience for the future.

When NFL teams who are out of the playoffs have their starter go down, they play their young talent to see what they have for the coming season and if the young talent sits on the bench during this period for no injury related reason, it pretty well means he has zero starting ability in the coaches eyes and they see absolutely no future for him. You can fantasize all you want about Stanzi's future but actions speak volumes about a player's potential, and the KC coaches are telling me they see no real future for Stanzi.

vidae
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
We weren't out of the playoff hunt until last weeks loss to the Raiders and you've been commenting a lot about KC lately and it shows that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this team.

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Get real guys, unless you come from dizzy u with zero big time football experience in college, NFL starting QB's are pretty well ready to start by game 8 if they have any potential as a starter. KC is out of the playoffs so it should be a normal progression to give a young QB some learning experience with a couple of games left and nothing to lose. He would be under minimum pressure and would gain valuable experience for the future.

When NFL teams who are out of the playoffs have their starter go down, they play their young talent to see what they have for the coming season and if the young talent sits on the bench during this period for no injury related reason, it pretty well means he has zero starting ability in the coaches eyes and they see absolutely no future for him. You can fantasize all you want about Stanzi's future but actions speak volumes about a player's potential, and the KC coaches are telling me they see no real future for Stanzi.

What V said. The Chiefs were in the playoff hunt. Had the beaten the Raiders in week 16 (OT game), they would control their fate this week.

Thatbeing said, the decision to go with Palko was made by a since terminated head coach. The decision may have played a role in his termination. We will never know.

J

Iamcanadian
12-29-2011, 12:29 PM
What V said. The Chiefs were in the playoff hunt. Had the beaten the Raiders in week 16 (OT game), they would control their fate this week.

Thatbeing said, the decision to go with Palko was made by a since terminated head coach. The decision may have played a role in his termination. We will never know.

J

I can tell you this, Crennel refused to start Quinn when he was their 1st draft pick for Cleveland, and I suggested the same reason I have stated here. They had decided that Quinn just didn't have it.
Question: Why not start him this week to give him some experience if they really think he has a shot down the road????

KCStud
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
The Chiefs didn't play Stanzi because the team was in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season.
If you're coaching for your job, you don't play a rookie QB, especially when you have a vet like Kyle Orton on your team.

Palko was the starting QB because Haley knew he was getting fired. He wanted to rub Pioli's face in it and sabotage the team. There is proof that Haley sabotaged the team this year. Starting Palko is one noticeable reason. Another would be when Haley refused to play Bowe, Breaston or Baldwin on 3rd down attempts when we played the Jets.

Stanzi has the tools to be a successful starting QB. He virtually looked like Matt Barkley in his senior year. Both QB's ran the pro-style offense very well. Stanzi only threw 6 INT's for crying out loud. The difference is Stanzi played in a run first offense compared to Barkley who had 100 more passing attempts than him.

Call me a homer, but I really liked the kid. I only had Newton, Dalton and Mallet ahead of him in his class.

Shane P. Hallam
12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Palko was the starting QB because Haley knew he was getting fired. He wanted to rub Pioli's face in it and sabotage the team. There is proof that Haley sabotaged the team this year. Starting Palko is one noticeable reason. Another would be when Haley refused to play Bowe, Breaston or Baldwin on 3rd down attempts when we played the Jets.

So a coach wanted to make himself look like a bad coach? Get real.

hockey619
12-29-2011, 02:44 PM
The Chiefs didn't play Stanzi because the team was in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season.
If you're coaching for your job, you don't play a rookie QB, especially when you have a vet like Kyle Orton on your team. valid point.

Palko was the starting QB because Haley knew he was getting fired. He wanted to rub Pioli's face in it and sabotage the team. There is proof that Haley sabotaged the team this year. Starting Palko is one noticeable reason. Another would be when Haley refused to play Bowe, Breaston or Baldwin on 3rd down attempts when we played the Jets. Really? this is where you went with your post? This is legitimately absurd. post sources if youre going to go this far off the edge or take this **** somewhere else. dont state it like its fact and make an *** of yourself.

Stanzi has the tools to be a successful starting QB. He virtually looked like Matt Barkley in his senior year. Both QB's ran the pro-style offense very well. Stanzi only threw 6 INT's for crying out loud. The difference is Stanzi played in a run first offense compared to Barkley who had 100 more passing attempts than him. Eh i dont think hes on barkley's level and im among his biggest supporter on the boards. he stopped being as aggressive down the field his senior year to cutback on the INT's, but it also hurt him in later game situations where he didnt play quite as clutch as years past. he also had some issues with staring down targets but that was the only real flaw i saw with him as a qb, one that many others have coming out and its correctable with time and experience. hes a guy that could desperately use a veteran mentor type backup.

Call me a homer, but I really liked the kid. I only had Newton, Dalton and Mallet ahead of him in his class.

responses in bold. i really like stanzi. i hate to say it (cause people are gunna jump on me), but mechanically he looks a lot like Luck.

similar players in their throwing motions and mechanics. Luck is just a bit better at all of it and a ways ahead as far as the mental side of the game goes.

KCStud
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
You guys didn't watch the KC/NYJ game and it's easy to see that.

On more than 1 third down, Haley set up plays with Jerehme Urban, Leonard Pope and Terrance Copper on the field while Dwayne Bowe and Steve Breaston are sitting on the sideline thinking WTF.

This happened more than once and it was an absolute embarassment. KC radio had speculated about Haley going rogue weeks before this game and it came to the surface after this.

Any coach that doesn't play his best players on 3rd downs is either a moron or simply rogue.

And people were surprised that Haley was fired the next day? Really?

hockey619
12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

On more than 1 third down, Haley set up plays with Jerehme Urban, Leonard Pope and Terrance Copper on the field while Dwayne Bowe and Steve Breaston are sitting on the sideline thinking WTF.

This happened more than once and it was an absolute embarassment. KC radio had speculated about Haley going rogue weeks before this game and it came to the surface after this.

Any coach that doesn't play his best players on 3rd downs is either a moron or simply rogue.

....so his big plan was to sabotage his OWN teams season? why? so that he could make himself look bad and make it less likely he'll pick up another coaching gig? because guys who throw a little fit like youre suggesting he did will most certainly have that hanging over their proffessional careers for quite a while. no owner wants to hire the guy who tried to throw his season to stick to his boss. Thus why i think the whole idea is incredibly stupid.

just because the guys on the radio think he was going 'rogue' or whatever doesnt mean dick.

KCStud
12-29-2011, 03:08 PM
And here's all the proof you need. Two 3rd down passing plays and one big 2nd down passing play in the 2 minute offense and Bowe, Breaston and Baldwin are ALL on the sideline while Terrance Copper, Jerehme Urban and Leonard Pope are out there.
This is proof that Haley was spitting in Pioli's face because he knew he was going to get fired.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377386_306848142671437_116476271708626_1055612_139 5180233_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378701_306871286002456_116476271708626_1055634_410 486751_n.jpg
http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/380845_306876102668641_116476271708626_1055657_115 8696541_n.jpg

hockey619
12-29-2011, 03:27 PM
And here's all the proof you need. Two 3rd down passing plays and one big 2nd down passing play in the 2 minute offense and Bowe, Breaston and Baldwin are ALL on the sideline while Terrance Copper, Jerehme Urban and Leonard Pope are out there.
This is proof that Haley was spitting in Pioli's face because he knew he was going to get fired.

i believed you when you said that those guys were on the field, sorry that that wasnt clear.

but I dont believe you that haley's intentions were to 'spit in pioli's face.' i think more likely is that they (bowe, baldwin, breaston) all got together and complained about the number of looks they were getting or something like that and went to haley about it and he sat them for questioning his geniusness.

Brothgar
12-29-2011, 03:33 PM
In all reality we don't know what was really going on in this organization. It was completely dysfunctional. Palko could have been Haley's guy there could be a dozen reasons for it.

KCStud
12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
In all reality we don't know what was really going on in this organization. It was completely dysfunctional. Palko could have been Haley's guy there could be a dozen reasons for it.

While this is true, Palko seemed to be Haley's guy. He was with him in Arizona.

It was very clear that Pioli and Haley went at it ever since Haley ran Weis off and got upset when Pioli wanted Josh McDaniels to come in as the OC last January.

Splat
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Trent Green put up good numbers, but it's not as though the Chiefs as a team were particularly successful with him at the helm.

They had maybe the worst D to ever play the game. You can't blame Trent Green for that.

T-RICH49
12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
They had maybe the worst D to ever play the game. You can't blame Trent Green for that.

totally agree.to call that defense swiss cheese is an insult to swiss cheese everywhere

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 07:01 PM
So a coach wanted to make himself look like a bad coach? Get real.

More like he waned to force management to let him go before the end of the season. Sabotage is too strong, but he was not coaching sound football.

J

nepg
12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I never had a problem with Haley going with Palko. That was his guy. He stood by him, and you know... Palko showed a lot of good qualities for a backup. He was great in practice, and was really well prepared when he stepped on the field, and ran a good 2-minute drill. He just ended up not being good enough. I think he'll be a good coach and is a solid 3rd QB for what he brings outside of actually playing.

nepg
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Lets start off by making sure everyone is perfectly educated on the fact that KC Sports radio is filled with a bunch of retards. Haley didn't "go rogue" (wtf is about that anyway?). He was under a lot of stress and was already having trouble keeping everything together in the first place. He had trouble getting the team prepared, handling his staff, and getting a gameplan together and it just got worse and worse as the season went along.

But, yeah, there was no coincidence that the Chiefs started winning when they stopped putting Copper and Urban on the field (starting in Week 3 loss to SD).

They've done a terrible job with their personnel packages. They have Breaston, Baldwin, and Bowe (and I think Pope is adequate)... If Richardson isn't in a complete "don't give a ****" mood on a given play, the Chiefs should be unstoppable when they're throwing the ball. But they rarely have any of those guys on the field...which is really disturbing to me.

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Who's Richardson? Do you refer to the RT?

J

vidae
12-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Yes, that one. The worst starting OT in the entire NFL. FML.

onejayhawk
12-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, that one. The worst starting OT in the entire NFL. FML.

He seems to be dependant on the QB throwing the ball, instead of holding it. He is not good, but he would count as quality depth, even on a good team.

J

nepg
12-31-2011, 05:38 AM
He seems to be dependant on the QB throwing the ball, instead of holding it. He is not good, but he would count as quality depth, even on a good team.

J
No. When he's focused, he holds blocks well, but when he isn't 100% mentally, it's like -1000%. That's when you see guys just running completely untouched from the strong side straight to the QB.

I do think he could be quality depth as a guy who can play on either side of the line, though. I just think he doesn't have the mental make-up to put forth proper effort every snap throughout an entire season as a starting RT.

He was a lot better last year, but the Chiefs were also able to keep Pope in to block when Moeaki was healthy.

onejayhawk
12-31-2011, 12:49 PM
No. When he's focused, he holds blocks well, but when he isn't 100% mentally, it's like -1000%. That's when you see guys just running completely untouched from the strong side straight to the QB.

I do think he could be quality depth as a guy who can play on either side of the line, though. I just think he doesn't have the mental make-up to put forth proper effort every snap throughout an entire season as a starting RT.

He was a lot better last year, but the Chiefs were also able to keep Pope in to block when Moeaki was healthy.

I think the OL coaching was significantly better last season.

Regardless, Stanzi, Richardson et al will get a whole new system to absorb, unless I badly mis my guess. Respecting the OL, we have pretty good personnel to convert to a drive blocking system if the new guy prefers. That would definitely help Richardson.

J