PDA

View Full Version : Gruden returning to coaching in 2012

Complex
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Earlier this year, Jon Gruden signed an “exclusive” five-year contract with ESPN, which was scheduled to commence in 2012. And it’s so “exclusive” that Gruden may be gone before the first day of the new deal.

In a thorough and detailed update regarding the coming turmoil in San Diego, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012, and that ESPN is aware of Gruden’s looming departure.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting. Acee reports that, if Rams owner Stan Kroenke fires coach Steve Spagnuolo and G.M. Billy Devaney, Kroenke will attempt to hire Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith (if/when Smith is fired by the Chargers) and Gruden in a package deal that would consist of a guy who never smiles, and a guy who always scowls.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos is expected to reveal next week his plans regarding the G.M. position. It’s widely regarded as a given that coach Norv Turner will be fired.

On Sunday night, Peter King of Football Night In America opined that the Rams’ job could be the best one available in the 2012 hiring cycle, given the presence of Sam Bradford, the possibility of the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team come 2013.

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/27/report-gruden-preparing-to-return-to-coaching-in-2012/)

Iamcanadian
12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Personally, I doubt Gruden would work with Smith as his GM. He had enough when he worked for Al Davis and would likely want a huge say in the draft among other things which Smith would never agree to. But stranger things have happened before.

A Perfect Score
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm a fan of Jon Gruden myself, and Sam Bradford seems like the perfect QB to execute his system. It's an intriguing match and one I hadn't thought of before...I guess if it occurs the real question becomes what he does at the top of the draft come April.

Pat Sims 90
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Bye Jay Gruden was fun having you.

armageddon
12-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Peter King says the Rams is the best job out there... They will have around 50 mill of cap space in 2013 too.

Why the Rams have the best job out there -- if, as appears likely, the team parts ways with coach Steve Spagnuolo after the season. Also said this on TV last night. St. Louis will lead the NFL in cap room. St. Louis has its quarterback of the future, if you still believe in Sam Bradford, and I believe most people in the league still do. St. Louis will have either the first or second pick in the 2012 draft, assuming a loss to San Francisco Sunday, and with the lust for quarterbacks among teams in the top 10 (Miami, Washington, Indianapolis and maybe Buffalo and Cleveland), the Rams could turn the pick into something great. Well, the first pick could be turned into a gold mine -- maybe three first-rounders. The second pick could bring quite a bit too, if either Robert Griffin III or maybe Landry Jones comes out in the draft. I know, I know. Many of you are saying the San Diego job, or the Miami job, will be better. And it may turn out that way. But think of the Rams if Bradford returns to 2010 form -- and there's no reason to think he won't, unless you believe he's too brittle, which is possible. Think of three or four prime picks in the top 35 this year ... or three this year and two next year. And think of a flood of free agents getting squeezed by a cap that's not going up much if at all in the next two years, and think what happens if the Rams can sign three or four very good players (Calais Campbell? Arian Foster? Mario Williams? Cliff Avril?) in the next two years. The Rams are heading into an interesting offseason.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/25/week.16/index.html#ixzz1hhutHWzu

A Perfect Score
12-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Well Peter King is an absolute ******* moron and I'm fairly sure the bad side of my dick would make a better football reporter.

I don't see how anyone can think St. Louis is the best head coaching gig. The Chargers are sitting right there. The talent differential between the two teams is absolutely staggering.

armageddon
12-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Well Peter King is an absolute ******* moron and I'm fairly sure the bad side of my dick would make a better football reporter.

I don't see how anyone can think St. Louis is the best head coaching gig. The Chargers are sitting right there. The talent differential between the two teams is absolutely staggering.

For now. With potentially numerous 1st and 2nd rounders added, plus 50 mill of cap space in 2013, things can change quickly. Last year when healthy, the Rams kicked the crap out of the Chargers in SD too. The Chargers are nothing special.

MetSox17
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, St.Louis is far from being the best opening out there, and Gruden is a hot candidate. He can have his choice of other teams, why would he settle on that awful Rams team? I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to coaching this upcoming season, but i'm fairly positive it wouldn't be for the Rams.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
For now. With potentially numerous 1st and 2nd rounders added, plus 50 mill of cap space in 2013, things can change quickly. Last year when healthy, the Rams kicked the crap out of the Chargers in SD too. The Chargers are nothing special.

I'm not sure there's a single position on the Rams that has a better talent pool then what's available on the Chargers. Not one. I like alot of pieces in place in St Louis (Bradford, Jackson, Saffold, Brown, Long, Quinn, Laurinitis, Fletcher) but there is just no way to justify saying it's a cushier gig then the one waiting for whoever steps into St Louis. Hell, I'd take the KC job over St Louis as well.

armageddon
12-27-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure there's a single position on the Rams that has a better talent pool then what's available on the Chargers. Not one. I like alot of pieces in place in St Louis (Bradford, Jackson, Saffold, Brown, Long, Quinn, Laurinitis, Fletcher) but there is just no way to justify saying it's a cushier gig then the one waiting for whoever steps into St Louis. Hell, I'd take the KC job over St Louis as well.

Yeah, but like I said, they could potentially have numerous high picks plus they have over 50 mill is cap space in 2013. Add that to the players you listed, and there are reasons for hope. Teams can turn things around quickly in the NFL. The Rams were literally 3 plays away last year from being 10-6 (a fumble that a DT didn't pick up for a TD vs Arizona, a last play TD vs the Raiders, a last play TD by Freeman ) and they should have beat the Seahawks too the last week. DX dropped a couple TD's. Damn near 11-5.

Ness
12-27-2011, 12:44 AM

The Chargers are still a much better team than St.Louis. They at least have the potential to beat any team in the NFL more so than the Rams. That outlined scenario that Peter King talked about would still have to have a lot of things fall into place in order for it to work. There is a bunch of work to be done in St.Louis. Even if you have a lot of nice picks in the first round, it doesn't really mean much. I'd rather have established quarterback in Rivers along with a lot of talent already there on there on the roster, and keep building from there.

Yeah, but like I said, they could potentially have numerous high picks plus they have over 50 mill is cap space in 2013. Add that to the players you listed, and there are reasons for hope. Teams can turn things around quickly in the NFL. The Rams were literally 3 plays away last year from being 10-6 (a fumble that a DT didn't pick up for a TD vs Arizona, a last play TD vs the Raiders, a last play TD by Freeman ) and they should have beat the Seahawks too the last week. DX dropped a couple TD's. Damn near 11-5.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. We can play that game all day long with any team in NFL history practically. The Rams finished 7-9, because that is the type of team they were.

holt_bruce81
12-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Head Coaching the Rams would deffinetly be a sexy position to have.

1. They have franchise pieces in place, LT, MLB, QB, LDE, RDE

2. As stated above, in 2013 they'll have the most cap space in the league. Over 50 million (rumored)

3. Team won't even be in St. Louis in a few years, they're going to move back to LA. Who doesn't want to live in LA? Coach a team in a brand new stadium.

MetSox17
12-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm just wondering who is gonna get all that spare money St. Louis will have. They have to spend 85% of the salary cap (or higher, not 100% sure), which means they got a lot of dollars to throw around, but who is gonna take them to go play in that shithole team?

holt_bruce81
12-27-2011, 04:21 AM
I'm just wondering who is gonna get all that spare money St. Louis will have. They have to spend 85% of the salary cap (or higher, not 100% sure), which means they got a lot of dollars to throw around, but who is gonna take them to go play in that shithole team?

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Are they bad? sure but they aren't 2-14 bad.

Injuries just hit us hard this season, and I know some might say that's a poor excuse, well I don't give a **** when your teams top 5 corners, starting RT, Starting LT, starting QB, backup QB, #1 Receiver from last year all go on the IR then I think it's a reasonable excuse.

Do we have a lot of needs? sure we do but it's not like the teams a "shithole" we aren't that far away from being a contender for the division.

Rotational DT, Starting Outside Linebacker, Starting Left Guard, #1 caliber Wide Receiver.

Those are the big needs. If we somehow get the #1 pick this year and trade it away for a buttload of picks and/or proven talent Rams could be right there with teams like the Falcons and Lions.

descendency
12-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Jim Harbaugh is printing the division title shirts for the next 10 years already.

Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden in the same division? that's almost unfair.

Ness
12-27-2011, 05:27 AM
3. Team won't even be in St. Louis in a few years, they're going to move back to LA. Who doesn't want to live in LA? Coach a team in a brand new stadium.
According to who?

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Are they bad? sure but they aren't 2-14 bad.

Injuries just hit us hard this season, and I know some might say that's a poor excuse, well I don't give a **** when your teams top 5 corners, starting RT, Starting LT, starting QB, backup QB, #1 Receiver from last year all go on the IR then I think it's a reasonable excuse.

Do we have a lot of needs? sure we do but it's not like the teams a "shithole" we aren't that far away from being a contender for the division.

Rotational DT, Starting Outside Linebacker, Starting Left Guard, #1 caliber Wide Receiver.

Those are the big needs. If we somehow get the #1 pick this year and trade it away for a buttload of picks and/or proven talent Rams could be right there with teams like the Falcons and Lions.

Wow you are really an optimistic fan. We don't even know if Bradford is going to be a good NFL quarterback first and foremost. And the Rams are going to have a new NFL head coach who could run the team into the ground for the next few years for all we know.

AntoinCD
12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
I think the Rams fall somewhere in the middle of where a lot of people are saying here. Do they suck? Yes they do certainly. Do they have talent with a lot of potential? Yes they do.

The Rams have Sam Bradford who could be their franchise QB.
They have two good, not great OTs but you don't need elite players there in the right system.
Their interior line is not very good.
They have an aging Steven Jackson.
Their receiving corps is very poor and they could use two maybe three weapons.

Chris Long and Robert Quinn look like they could be great together.
They have little to talk about at DT.
Laurinaitis is a very good, solid young player.
The rest of the LBs are below average.
Their secondary is a miss.

So, they have talent in some key places but after that they are pretty bad. Now if they end up with the first overall pick they could start working on those areas.

For instance, if they were to trade with say Cleveland they could end up with their two firsts this year, a first next year and their second and third round picks this year.

Realistically they could come away with a haul of

Justin Blackmon
Zach Brown
Jerel Worthy
Stephon Gilmore
Marvin McNutt
Jared Crick

Then if they could get a few more pieces in FA they could have a talented team.

However these are all hypotheticals at the minute. As it stands the Rams are a bad team in a small market with low talent levels.

To say it would be the best coaching job out there is just ridiculous. In San Diego you know you have an elite level QB. You have weapons in both the run and the pass game and some talent on defense. If they change to a 43 they are an OLB and another DE from having a real good defense. All they need is offensive line help and they play in a pretty easy division. The only downside is AJ Smith.

Larry
12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Head Coaching the Rams would deffinetly be a sexy position to have.

1. They have franchise pieces in place, LT, MLB, QB, LDE, RDE

2. As stated above, in 2013 they'll have the most cap space in the league. Over 50 million (rumored)

Rams may have upside at LT, but hardly a franchise piece in place.

hockey619
12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Jim Harbaugh is printing the division title shirts for the next 10 years already.

Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden in the same division? that's almost unfair.

this is basically how i feel. Harbaugh will stomp those teams for the next 5 seasons until the next coach can bring in a legitimate qb and clean up the crap fest that carroll and gruden leave behind.

ok maybe im being a little pesimistic, but i dont see whats so special about gruden, i mustve missed his super coaching powers where he can turn crap players into stars.

hes gunna come in to whatever team, take an eh qb and make him play above his caliber but not at a super star super bowl level and they wont go to a super bowl because he wont have an all world defense to drag him there. gruden will continue doing what he does though: looking for solid qbs that he can get to out perform themselves (orton sounds like his type of guy) to the point that he'll stick with them but where theyll never be good enough to take their team to a super bowl (think matt cassel these last couple of years).

everyone is giving gruden the cowher treatment, except that cowher was actually a much better head coach where as gruden was more of an above average head coach.

armageddon
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
The Chargers are still a much better team than St.Louis. They at least have the potential to beat any team in the NFL more so than the Rams. That outlined scenario that Peter King talked about would still have to have a lot of things fall into place in order for it to work. There is a bunch of work to be done in St.Louis. Even if you have a lot of nice picks in the first round, it doesn't really mean much. I'd rather have established quarterback in Rivers along with a lot of talent already there on there on the roster, and keep building from there.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. We can play that game all day long with any team in NFL history practically. The Rams finished 7-9, because that is the type of team they were.

I was just making a point that the difference between winning and losing usually comes down to a play or two. With a better HC, coaching staff, some nice draft picks and a few good FA's, the Rams could be a totally different team. I remember the 1998 Rams were 6-10 and the 1999 Rams won the SB.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Gruden in St. Louis? I guess that solves the "who will get traded if they get the #1 pick?" dilemma!

JBCX
12-27-2011, 12:00 PM

That's crazy talk. The Rams are clearly stronger at DL and LB.

I'd take Chris Long or Robert Quinn over any pass rusher on the Chargers right now.

I'd take James Laurinitis over any ILB the Chargers have.

TimmG6376
12-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Gruden in St. Louis? I guess that solves the "who will get traded if they get the #1 pick?" dilemma!

He'll trade Bradford and the #1 pick, then bring Brian Griese out of retirement.

armageddon
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
That's crazy talk. The Rams are clearly stronger at DL and LB.

I'd take Chris Long or Robert Quinn over any pass rusher on the Chargers right now.

I'd take James Laurinitis over any ILB the Chargers have.

CB's Bartell and Fletcher are really good too. Just have to stay healthy.

Ness
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I was just making a point that the difference between winning and losing usually comes down to a play or two. With a better HC, coaching staff, some nice draft picks and a few good FA's, the Rams could be a totally different team. I remember the 1998 Rams were 6-10 and the 1999 Rams won the SB.

That's because the 1999 Rams had Kurt Warner that year along with Marshall Faulk, and rookie Torry Holt along with Bruce who was already there. It was night and day because they had BETTER PLAYERS who weren't there the season before. You sound like those two teams were the same, they weren't. Winning games usually comes down to having better players than the other team. It's not just about making plays. You need to have the actual players to execute them. And it's not always easy finding those players, which is why some franchises suck for years.

descendency
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Over/under 3 games before the rookie QB Gruden plays too early gets benched and told "I wish you were more like Brad Johnson. I won a Super Bowl with that guy."

boknows34
12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
rotoworld:

ESPN released a statement to Profootballtalk refuting a report that Jon Gruden will leave the Monday Night Football booth for a return to coaching in 2012.

"Jon signed a multi-year extension with ESPN this fall," said ESPN. "He remains committed to being a part of Monday Night Football for many years." Multiple sources tell PFT that Gruden will indeed return to ESPN for the 2012 season. The original report may have been planted by sources close to Chargers GM A.J. Smith in an effort to get owner Dean Spanos to think twice about a possible firing. ESPN's Chris Mortensen insisted on Sports Center Tuesday evening that Gruden will not be coaching in 2012.

holt_bruce81
12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

People said the exact same thing last year about the Rams when they finished 7-9 in Bradford's rookie year.

VernonLawson89
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
People said the exact same thing last year about the Rams when they finished 7-9 in Bradford's rookie year.

But you guys didn't win the division last year :P