PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Gabbert will be a better QB than Cam Newton?

GMONEY989
12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
I am just wondering how much input should we take into scouting reports, draft combines and interviews? Many analysts and critics, including analysts on this site all said Blaine Gabbert will be the best QB to come out of this years draft class. Maybe it might be so early to make the judgement, but it sure looks like he will be the next QB bust.

Just wondering how can analysts be so wrong about their assessments or is it just bias?

Bengalsrocket
12-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Good first post, this should be fun.

Who said Gabbert was the top QB in this draft class, specifically?

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 02:00 AM

TitansCJftw
12-27-2011, 02:07 AM
nice redo the_natural

TACKLE
12-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Who said Gabbert was the top QB in this draft class, specifically?

Name one major analyst who didn't.

To the OP, I really don't know. Once Luck went back to school, Cam was such an unknown and perceived as very risky. Not being overtly wrong is far more important to media members than actually being right. So when Gabbert signed with Tom Condon, every one assumed that'd he'd be next in line as the #1 QB in the draft. However, people still had 4 months to evaluate this guy after the season. The fact the majority of the members of the media had him as their #1 QB, is either a testament to one or all of these three things....lack of film study, lack of football knowledge or peer pressure. I can't explain how someone could breakdown a whole game of his objectively and actually think that he'd become a big time NFL quarterback.

WCH
12-27-2011, 02:55 AM
I think that (some? most? a few?) scouts and analysts go wrong by focusing on things like being able to "make all the throws" in a route tree or show mobility in the pocket; and ignoring things like being able to make pre- and post-snap reads, look-off a safety, or lead a receiver to the right spot. These seem to be things that usually can't be coached, even though it seems like they should be coachable traits.

I also agree with TACKLE that there is an element of peer pressure. Even on these boards, some (but not all) of Gabbert's critics were pussyfooting around the fact that they thought he sucked, because the popular opinion was that he was a first round pick. Our careers aren't even on the line, and there can be an urge to stick with the crowd.

FUNBUNCHER
12-27-2011, 06:08 AM
FOur months prior to the 2011 draft, the loudest voices on this board were; 1)Anti Cam Newton, 2) pro Cam Newton, 3)anti Jake Locker, 4) pro Jake Locker.

The fact that there was early discussion that Gabbert could be the first QB drafted led many to comment how weak this QB class actually was.

Posters entertained the idea, but I don't recall there being passionate support for Gabbert being the the top pick in the draft, or the first QB off the board.

Except for the natural.:(

Once the 'professional' scouts began to break down Gabbert's game film, you began to hear the same critiques about him that were first brought up on this board; there's no 'there' there with Gabbert.

I'm still withholding my final assessment on Gabbert. I'm very interested to see what he looks like his second year in the NFL. I'm still a sucker for tools and maybe the humiliation of hearing the bust whispers toughens Gabbert up mentally in the pocket.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Gunshy Gabbert will be out of the NFL in 3 years.

Brothgar
12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
nice redo the_natural

He's not natch I think I know who this is from BTR community Colts fan and a smart guy. If in fact it is the same guy.

BudIce
12-27-2011, 08:05 AM
how about that ryan mallett

bigbluedefense
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I honestly can't explain why so many people liked Gabbert. It was painfully obvious that he sucked in college and would be a horrible NFL qb. I think Mayock is the first guy to hype him up, and bc of Mayock's credibility, everyone else followed suite.

Gabbert wasn't even on the radar until Mayock put him in his top 10. Then all of a sudden everyone talked about Gabbert.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I honestly can't explain why so many people liked Gabbert. It was painfully obvious that he sucked in college and would be a horrible NFL qb. I think Mayock is the first guy to hype him up, and bc of Mayock's credibility, everyone else followed suite.

Gabbert wasn't even on the radar until Mayock put him in his top 10. Then all of a sudden everyone talked about Gabbert.

It wasn't really that, it was more a case of nobody thought he was going to declare because it was extremely obvious he wasn't ready for the physicality of the NFL. Most people assumed that Gabbert would go back to Mizzou for another year, but when Luck went back to school it left a void there for Gabbert to fill. He didn't have a ton of tape, and he was the kind of guy someone would look at and go "I can turn him into an NFL QB". If there's one thing I've learned watching the NFL, it's never underestimate the influence ego plays in a Coaching Staff/FO's decision making process. Coupled with impressive offseason workouts, it kind of makes sense. I mean, he certainly looks the part off the field, and I think that's part of where the hype surrounding him came from. Unfortunately for the Jags, football games aren't played in practice shorts.

MI_Buckeye
12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Gabbert had/has some wonderful qualities that nearly all the elite QBs in the NFL possess. He measures very high on maturity, intelligence, arm strength and athleticism. OTOH, Newton had a ton of red flags. Nolan Nawrocki's writeup made him seem like football's version of Gordon Gecko.

IMO, it is way too early to write him off entirely, but the early returns aren't pleasing. I still think he will end up being a good NFL QB, but not on the level of Newton.

tjsunstein
12-27-2011, 10:48 AM
This is where everyone backs off of what they said prior to the draft.

BuddyCHRIST
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
The Gabbert rise to me is the most befuddling thing I can remember in the history of the draft.

He was a guy who looked horrible on game film, when I watched Mizzou play I never thought twice about this guy as a pro player because he looked average in college. And this was in a no defense conference/spread system where tons of QBs have put up big numbers.

Its amazing that guys who do this for a living can't see the classic traps of overanalyzing guys/drafting guys on measurables. If Gabbert came back for his Sr year with people actually watching him he would have been a mid round pick.

I definitely didn't see Cam being this great though, his ability to throw the football is way better than what I thought. He has NFL accuracy, he might miss some but he has the ability to pinpoint the ball.

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Tom. Condon. Hype. Job.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
i pretty strongly disagree with that. almost any of us who thought he was garbage were pretty vocal about just how garbage we thought he was.

I was very vocal about how he was garbage. Very, very vocal.

That's alot of V's.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
pretty sure mcshay was the first guy to hype up gabbert

and yes, the hate for him was HUGE on this board and not held back at all

descendency
12-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Draft analyst missed an obvious warning sign... he didn't produce in college in a QB friendly offense in a conference that is very thin in talent on the very bottom.

The year he declared, he only passed for 16 TDs.

He has the physical talent to be an NFL QB. He just sucks.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Draft analyst missed an obvious warning sign... he didn't produce in college in a QB friendly offense in a conference that is very thin in talent on the very bottom.

The year he declared, he only passed for 16 TDs.

He has the physical talent to be an NFL QB. He just sucks.

All of that, and he looked just awful on tape. When all else fails, just look at the damn tape.

vidae
12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Gunshy Gabbert will be out of the NFL in 3 years.

He had a much longer career than I thought. Good for him.

K Train
12-27-2011, 11:42 AM

yep...agreed. i didnt even mock him in round 1 for a LONG time until i realized there was indeed going to be a team to take him top 20

descendency
12-27-2011, 12:20 PM

He'll be an NFL QB (albeit a backup probably) for a lot longer than 3 years. He has the tools that you can't coach, so some coach somewhere will want their chance with him.

He'll be 30 before he's out of the league entirely.

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
He'll be an NFL QB (albeit a backup probably) for a lot longer than 3 years. He has the tools that you can't coach, so some coach somewhere will want their chance with him.

Somehow, David Carr is still employed by an NFL team, so all bets are off.

tjsunstein
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Who becomes this year's Blaine Gabbert?

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Who becomes this year's Blaine Gabbert?

Trent Dilfer is trying to convince people that Foles is a first rounder, so my early money is on him.

If RG3 goes back to school, I could see Landry Jones declare and try to make himself the this year's Gabbert.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
landry jones

Miaoww
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Trent Dilfer is trying to convince people that Foles is a first rounder, so my early money is on him.

If RG3 goes back to school, I could see Landry Jones declare and try to make himself the this year's Gabbert.

If RG3 goes back to school there's going to be several GMs that just start crying, right? Barkley and RG3 off the table leaves you with.....nobody at QB outside of Luck.

49erNation85
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
If RG3 goes back to school there's going to be several GMs that just start crying, right? Barkley and RG3 off the table leaves you with.....nobody at QB outside of Luck.

But you have Kellen Moore an easy asset to your team in the 4/5th round which would be a steal IMO.

descendency
12-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Landry sucks, but he should get out of OU because losing his starting job to Tim Tebow II isn't a good idea.

But you have Kellen Moore an easy asset to your team in the 4/5th round which would be a steal IMO.

Feel free to sig quote this: Kellen Moore will not be drafted. At all. Any round.

hockey619
12-27-2011, 01:32 PM

this

for all of his flaws, hes not a head case (which is a big key to being a long time backup) so some coach will think he can unlock his potential and turn him into something servicable.

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Keep an eye on any QBs who sign with Tom Condon/CAA.

Is it fair to say that (as prospects) Blaine Gabbert is the latest Mark Sanchez?

bigbluedefense
12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
As bad as Sanchez has been, comparing Gabbert to Mark is being way to generous to Gabbert.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 02:28 PM
As bad as Sanchez has been, comparing Gabbert to Mark is being way to generous to Gabbert.

I very much disliked Sanchez as a prospect, and he was still much better in his very few college starts then Gabbert was.

This year I can see a guy like Tannehill rising incredibly quickly, especially if RGIII goes back to school. If there is no RGIII in this draft, I think Tannehill becomes a legitimate Top 12 possibility. I like him a hell of a lot more then I like Landry Jones (Who is also much more impressive then Gabbert, even though he sucks too. So mechanical looking).

DraftSavant
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM

I very much disliked Sanchez as a prospect, and he was still much better in his very few college starts then Gabbert was.

This year I can see a guy like Tannehill rising incredibly quickly, especially if RGIII goes back to school. If there is no RGIII in this draft, I think Tannehill becomes a legitimate Top 12 possibility. I like him a hell of a lot more then I like Landry Jones (Who is also much more impressive then Gabbert, even though he sucks too. So mechanical looking).

Yes, but I mean in the way they both declared before they should have in an effort to cash in on (perceived) weak QB classes and then see their stock rise meteorically after Tom Condon blows in a few ears.