PDA

View Full Version : Executive of the year

49ersfan_87
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Who wins executive of the year for the 2011 season? The candidates

Mike Brown, Bengals

Notables- Retained Marvin Lewis as HC, signed Jay Gruden as his OC. Drafted A.J. Green and Andy Dalton back to back. Traded OchoCinco to the Patriots where he has accomplished little to nothing (don't know the compensation). Traded Carson Palmer to the Raiders for a 2011 1st rounder, and 2012 2nd rounder which could upgrade to a 1st rounder. Let go of Terrell Owens.

Trent Baalke, 49ers

Notables- Signed Jim Harbaugh as HC. Drafted Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, and Kendall Hunter. Signed Carlos Rogers and Dante Whitner in FA. Re-signed Alex Smith, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson. Let go of Takeo Spikes, Aubrayo Franklin, and Nate Clements in FA.

Rick Smith, Texans

Notables- Retained Gary Kubiak, signed Wade Phillips as DC. Drafted J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed. Also drafted TJ Yates, current starter due to injury. Signed Jonathan Joseph and Daniel Manning in FA.

Maybe i'm forgetting some other guys but these seem to be the top 3 names. Who would you choose for Exec of the year, either from these 3 or any other notable names?

tjsunstein
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
You can't deny the transition that the 49ers have made. They improved their whole culture.

Hurricanes25
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Trent Baalke. He brought in Jim Harbaugh, his draft picks have made a huge impact and signing Carlos Rogers has worked out well for them.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Definitely the Niners. It's just so impressive what Harbaugh is doing for that franchise.

It's even better because he's not doing anything complicated. In fact, he's doing the opposite. In an era where everyone is trying to find the next high octane offense, be it spread/wildcat/options/whatever, Harbaugh is preaching physicality and simplicity. He's teaching that players make plays, not the other way around. I love it.

TACKLE
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Of that list, I'd go with Rick Smith. They drafted very well, have a lot of young talent on that team, Joseph was probably the best free agent pick up and Wade Phillips has to be the best coordinator hire this year.

Pat Sims 90
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Mike Brown does not deserve a award.

DI
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't discount Marty Hurney in Carolina as well. Drafted Cam when a lot of people weren't sold on him, kept Steve Smith, traded for Greg Olsen, resigned Charles Johnson. You can get on him for resigning DeAngelo I suppose but overall, I think he's had a very nice year in Carolina.

Jughead10
12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Of that list, I'd go with Rick Smith. They drafted very well, have a lot of young talent on that team, Joseph was probably the best free agent pick up and Wade Phillips has to be the best coordinator hire this year.

Also Rick Smith has shown he has been building towards this for a while. And in my opinion is built for more sustained success long term. At this point we don't know if these other teams are one year wonders yet.

tjsunstein
12-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Also Rick Smith has shown he has been building towards this for a while. And in my opinion is built for more sustained success long term. At this point we don't know if these other teams are one year wonders yet.
I completely agree. If this wasn't strictly for the 2011 season and over some type of span, Rick Smith vs. Trent Baalke could get very interesting years to come.

whatadai
12-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Don't discount Marty Hurney in Carolina as well. Drafted Cam when a lot of people weren't sold on him, kept Steve Smith, traded for Greg Olsen, resigned Charles Johnson. You can get on him for resigning DeAngelo I suppose but overall, I think he's had a very nice year in Carolina.

LOL...
Gave DeAngelo Williams a big contract...he sucks all year long and is injured for several games.
Gave Jon Beason a big contract...gets injured the first game for the rest of the season.
Gave Thomas Davis a big contract...gets injured the second game for the rest of the season.
Gave James Anderson a big contract...has underperformed compared to last year.
Gave Ron Edwards a contract...gets injured before the season.
Draft 2 DTs...both get injured for the rest of the season.
I can go on and on...he threw money around and still can't win, I don't care if part of it was bad luck. Big waste of money.

tjsunstein
12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
LOL...
Gave DeAngelo Williams a big contract...he sucks all year long and is injured for several games.
Gave Jon Beason a big contract...gets injured the first game for the rest of the season.
Gave Thomas Davis a big contract...gets injured the second game for the rest of the season.
I can go on and on...he threw money around and still can't win, I don't care if part of it was bad luck. Big waste of money.
Injuries aren't something you can control as a GM. I'm sure if he knew that they were going to get hurt, he wouldn't have given then the deals he did. I wouldn't say it's the execs fault, but it's just the way it turned out.

JBCX
12-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Bill Polian.

He showed the world the value of Peyton Manning.

Iamcanadian
12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Mayhew of the Lions deserves a big hand. He took over an 0-16 team and has taken them to the playoffs within a couple of years. Excellent FA signings and solid drafting have made Detroit a serious contender.

SimonRath
12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
LOL...

this is the dumbest post ive ever read.. its not like he looked into the future and saw that all these players would get injured and still decided to sign them. Beason has been a beast his entire career and Thomas Davis has been solid his entire career. Come up with a better argument and than i will give you more respect.