PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans or San Francisco

J-Mike88
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm looking ahead, but we fans and the media can do that. Of course players and coaches shouldn't do it. But I know for a fact they do.

Assuming they stay the #2 (SF) & #3 (NO) seeds, and assuming Brees' Saints beat the #6 seed in New Orleans comfortable, climate-controlled, 72-degrees, windless dome, they will then travel to San Francisco and play in some weather, on grass, against a good defense, with a good running game.

Some would say the Niners are better in all facets of their game than the Seahawks were last year when they beat the Saints. We're all well-aware of 2 things: Brees and that offense are red hot, almost unstoppable, in domes (except in the Rams dome), and they are not as good outdoors.

http://thesportsgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/WildCardStatsSaintsSeahawks.png

I guess the Niners having more Pro Bowlers than either the Saints or Packers must mean they are better.....

All that BS aside, who will win?
I think Vegas will have this about a pick em.
I will leave vote open only for 3 days to end before this weekend's games and leave them public so we can factor out all the homer-votes.

49erNation85
12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I would love to say SF would win .But Honestly I doubt Smith can beat the Saints maybe if Brees has a bad day or it is in Sf and outside.

Raiderz4Life
12-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Chances are Brees and Co. make it a shoot out....SF has top notch redzone defense but NOLA can strike from anywhere and I don't think San Fran has the fire power to keep up.

VernonLawson89
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I think the 49ers have a chance at home in a close game, but in NO, no chance for SF.

PoopSandwich
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
2010 Saints are not the same team as the 2011 Saints.

See last week.

keylime_5
12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Niners beat them last year at home when the niners sucked on MNF didn't they? Their defense is legit and the fact that they would be at home is big. That Saints offense won't be the same outside in San Fran in January as it would be in that dome. It would be THE matchup to watch in the playoffs.

CJSchneider
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
If this game happens, which I'm pretty sure it will, I am going to be beside myself.

soybean
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
the 9ers will field goal you to death.

Ness
12-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Niners beat them last year at home when the niners sucked on MNF didn't they? Their defense is legit and the fact that they would be at home is big. That Saints offense won't be the same outside in San Fran in January as it would be in that dome. It would be THE matchup to watch in the playoffs.

No. The 49ers lost game 25-22. Drew Brees marched down the field in the remaining seconds of the game and led the team to a last second field goal. I was pissed about that game because Mike Singletary went nuclear on a news reporter earlier in the week.

Anyways, I sense that it will be a similar game. I'm guessing Saints score around 25 points. Maybe like what we saw against the Cowboys. It will be up to the 49ers to keep pace. I just hope the 49ers defense doesn't keep rushing four defenders all day long. Hopefully Aldon Smith has a good game. The advantage San Francisco might have is that they'll be heavily doubted against New Orleans if they make it to San Francisco. Especially if they blow out their opponent wild card weekend. And the 49ers have played their best football with their backs against the wall.

If the 49ers lose that game, I already know who will be criticized. It will be Alex Smith. All of the "experts" have said all season long that they don't believe the 49ers can go far in the playoffs even with this defense because they can't count on Alex Smith to lead the 49ers to a come from behind victory and/or keep up in a shootout. Unfortunately, they have a point. Until Alex shows he can carry a team, he will never fully be accepted here in San Francisco. That's just the way it is, and quite frankly that's the way it should be.

SickwithIt1010
12-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Being out of the dome is going to be a huge advantage for the 9ers if they get home field for this game. I think it would help them a ton just to be playing outside against the Pack as well. This team is built for a grind it out game. If the weather has any type of conditions, it would give them a huge advantage. However, if Brees and that offense is striking like they have been as of late, I cant see the 9ers being able to keep up.

Ness
12-28-2011, 06:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how Sproles fares on turf. He was good on turf in San Deigo, so I guess it shouldn't effect him too much. The 49ers aren't that great on the screen in my opinion. Well in years past anyways. But they've been decent this season against it. Having Willis and Bowman are going to be crucial to stopping him. That guy probably worries me the most. That and the 49ers offensive inability to convert third downs. Which leads to giving the ball back to Brees and company.

CJSchneider
12-28-2011, 06:52 PM
No. The 49ers lost game 25-22. Drew Brees marched down the field in the remaining seconds of the game and led the team to a last second field goal. I was pissed about that game because Mike Singletary went nuclear on a news reporter earlier in the week.

wux1S1ma4ks

2:56 is where he lies.

Ness
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
God that man was a moron when it came to being an NFL head coach.

Raiderz4Life
12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
lmao that's hilarious

descendency
12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
The Saints are a different team outdoors. I'll take the 49ers in a low scoring game.

J-Mike88
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
The Saints are a different team outdoors. I'll take the 49ers in a low scoring game.
The Saints are not too excited to go to San Fran I can tell you that.

They cannot believe that their (Saints) loss to the Rams is the one that is going to cost them A) a bye and B) a home game vs the Niners.

Ironically, the Niners must win this week at St Louis too, in order to get that #2 seed.

If they can do what the Saints could not, they deserve the 2 seed, the bye, and the home game vs the Saints. If they too lose at the Rams (Steven Jackson), then they deserve to have to play Detroit or Atlanta and then, if they win, go to New Orleans where I think Brees would carve them up like a plastic surgeon on Jaon Rivers' face.

I can't wait!

J-Mike88
12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
2010 Saints are not the same team as the 2011 Saints.
Wasn't it the 2011 Saints who lost to the 2011 Rams and 2011 Bucs?

Ness
12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
It's really annoying hearing on the radio New Orleans vs. Green Bay. As if it's already decided.

RaiderNation
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
I have the Saints, especially if it's in New Orleans. It will be a very close game if the Saints play at San Francisco in the cold weather.

Flyboy
12-29-2011, 01:22 AM

Are we? Because performances against Jacksonville and Tennessee contradict that. Heck, even though it was in a losing effort our offense traveled pretty damn well to Green Bay as well minus an early Marques Colston fumble. *shrugs* I think it's an extremely over-exaggerated point and guess it'll keep being brought up until proven otherwise and I'm fine with that.

J-Mike88
12-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Wasn't it the 2011 Saints who lost to the 2011 Rams and 2011 Bucs?
no explanation for that .... The 2011 Rams and Bucs are horseshit, and you found a way to get 2 L's there..... in 2011.

Jughead10
12-29-2011, 07:51 AM
no explanation for that .... The 2011 Rams and Bucs are horseshit, and you found a way to get 2 L's there..... in 2011.

They also lost at Seattle in the playoffs last year so of course losing at San Francisco is extremely possible.

prock
12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Saints aren't that good away from home. I would take the 9ers at Candlestick.

AntoinCD
12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Saints aren't that good away from home. I would take the 9ers at Candlestick.

I agree with this. I'm not sure any team, Packers included, would beat the Saints at home at the minute. However get the Saints out doors and they are very beatable. I think the 49ers would control the clock and win a relatively low scoring game against the Saints

Brent
12-29-2011, 11:46 AM
January in SF means rain. I think that would play into the Niners' hands.

YAYareaRB
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
"saints are a different team indoors"

http://media.nj.com/times-sports/photo/10202774-large.jpg

descendency
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Personally, I think the 9ers are the most complete team in the playoffs. That may not mean the best - but I do think they have the best opportunity to be completely balanced and win.

DraftSavant
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
"saints are a different team indoors"

http://media.nj.com/times-sports/photo/10202774-large.jpg

Those uniforms are so ******* sexy. **** the navy/gold/white.

Da-Phins
12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Pretty easy decision IMO, the Saints would win easily. 49ers cant matchup to the firepower the Saints has.

Ness
12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
If the 49ers play the Saints, I pray that Frank Gore has the game of his life. He isn't the player he once was, but since this is his first time in the postseason, hopefully he makes the most out of it.

Pretty easy decision IMO, the Saints would win easily. 49ers cant matchup to the firepower the Saints has.
That's what they said last year when the Saints went up to Seattle.

Dome teams are 8-29 outdoors in the playoffs since 2007. Just saying.

LaughableFootballIQ
12-29-2011, 04:17 PM
This is a joke right?

A top 3 QB and the best offense in football vs A bottom 10 QB with a lackluster power running game.

Yeah....I wonder who would win. LMFAO.

prock
12-29-2011, 04:21 PM
This is a joke right?

A top 3 QB and the best offense in football vs A bottom 10 QB with a lackluster power running game.

Yeah....I wonder who would win. LMFAO.

Because it's as simple as that...

LaughableFootballIQ
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Because it's as simple as that...

Only way the 49ers win is if they get consistent pressure on Brees. 49ers can stop the run, not so much the pass. They'll also need the special teams to bail them out again with excellent field position. Otherwise this is going to be a blowout.

prock
12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Only way the 49ers win is if they get consistent pressure on Brees. 49ers can stop the run, not so much the pass. They'll also need the special teams to bail them out again with excellent field position. Otherwise this is going to be a blowout.

The Saints are not nearly as good on the road. The 9ers can control the clock with the run, have a decent enough quarterback to make the Saints pay for stacking the box too heavily, the best defense in the league, and home field advantage. I'm not sure if they'd win the game, but I guarantee it wouldn't be a blow out.

LaughableFootballIQ
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
The Saints are not nearly as good on the road. The 9ers can control the clock with the run, have a decent enough quarterback to make the Saints pay for stacking the box too heavily, the best defense in the league, and home field advantage. I'm not sure if they'd win the game, but I guarantee it wouldn't be a blow out.

You don't understand. The 49er stop the run. They don't stop the pass. Vick, Eli, and Romo all lit them up. Brees is better than all 3 by a decent margin....The Saints would put up 35 on the "best defense" in football...Unless of course, the pass rush is dominant which is a possibility.

prock
12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
You don't understand. The 49er stop the run. They don't stop the pass. Vick, Eli, and Romo all lit them up. Brees is better than all 3 by a decent margin....The Saints would put up 35 on the "best defense" in football...Unless of course, the pass rush is dominant which is a possibility.

You don't understand, the Saints are a different team away from home. Outdoors in San Fran in a hostile environment. It won't be a blowout.

LaughableFootballIQ
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
You don't understand, the Saints are a different team away from home. Outdoors in San Fran in a hostile environment. It won't be a blowout.

Hahahaha. You can't be serious. The 49er crowd at candlestick is the most pathetic group of fans in football, with the exception of Jaguar fans. There is absolutely nothing hostile about playing a road game at Candlestick.

Saints-Tigers
12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
49ers fans have convinced themselves that the Saints are the same team as last year's playoff team. It's kinda cute.

LaughableFootballIQ
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
49ers fans have convinced themselves that the Saints are the same team as last year's playoff team. It's kinda cute.

That's our fans for you.

Bulldogs
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Read his username. End of discussion.

NOLAFan
12-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I think its a close game if its played in Candlestick but at this point i just want the Saints to win in the first round.

BloodBrother
12-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Saints O is unstoppable in their dome but on the road it's very different. I still would pick them to beat SF @ Candlestick, however

J-Mike88
12-29-2011, 06:28 PM
No, they're convinced the 2011 Saints are still capable of losing on the road, as they did this season at St Louis and Tampa Bay.
I mean has anyone else lost to both of those horseshit teams this year?
Any team losing to both the Rams and Bucs on this season should be ineligible for the playoffs.

Laughable IQ, Brees lost to Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford this year. How does that fit in with your simplistic hypothesis?

Saints-Tigers
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Drew Brees didn't lose to Sam Bradford, don't blaspheme.

Packers lost to the Chiefs. That means they'll definitely lose to any team better than KC.

J-Mike88
12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
The Rams are 1-13 vs teams not the Saints this year, and they are 1-0 vs the Saints this year.
That's not the 2010 Saints. That's the 2011 Saints. I get it that the Packers lost to the Chiefs, who are also bad. But they're not Ram-bad.
And the Packers didn't also lose to the horseshit Buccaneers this year too. That's the 2011 Saints. And 2011 Bucs.

Bottom line is the Saints are not the same team outside. Didn't they also barely beat Tennessee a few weeks ago too? The same team who then lost to the 0-13 Colts?

Look, I'd make the Saints about a 5-point favorite over the Packers in New Orleans because they are en fuego there right now. And I'd make them about an 8-9 point favorite vs the Niners, in New Orleans.

But in San Fran with some wind and rain?
That's a pick em' and a game I am looking forward to.

Brees is phenomenal, and I love the little guys proving the scouts wrong.

abaddon41_80
12-29-2011, 07:58 PM
For all this talk of the 49ers controlling the clock and running the ball to win they might want to get their running game going again, first. Gore hasn't broken 100 yards since week eight and in six of the seven games since then he has averaged less than four yards per carry

J-Mike88
12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Alex will have to make some plays probably..... can he do it?
I expect a heavy dose of Vernon Davis in that matchup.

abaddon41_80
12-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Everyone on this forum knows that I believe that Alex Smith can make plays and win games for the 49ers so I do think the 49ers will win if Davis and Crabtree can step up and become the threats they could be. Davis has dropped a ton of passes this year and while Crabtree has been okay recently he still isn't the #1 WR he was supposed to be.

Flyboy
12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Our road record is 5-3.. still above .500 and last time I checked our offense went up and down the field against the Green Bay Packers. And, our running game has tremendously improved since the loss to St. Louis and is definitely better than Green Bay's and could be argued that with Frank Gore's recent struggles we have run the ball collectively better than the 49ers have as of late. But, we're not built for the outdoors and in the playoffs.

Hm, the 49ers are only 7th in rushing and we're 9th... I guess the only way to settle this debate is to see what happens in the playoffs.

Brent
12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
and last time I checked our offense went up and down the field against the Green Bay Packers.
Hasn't every team?

Saints-Tigers
12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Hasn't every team?

No. They aren't beatable. Everyone's only hope is INJURIEZZZ

The Saints made big changes to the o-line since the Rams game(didn't seem big at the time, but now we're dominant)... if you're holding out for us to play like that game come playoff time, you're going to be severely disappointed.

Flyboy
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Hasn't every team?

The reason why it was brought up was because apparently our offense doesn't travel when we play outdoors.

LonghornsLegend
12-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh yea, let's just assume the Saints win round 1 already. Cool. Should be a cake walk though, just like Seattle last year in round 1.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh yea, let's just assume the Saints win round 1 already. Cool. Should be a cake walk though, just like Seattle last year in round 1.
You think the Lions are gonna win in New Orleans?
There are upsets all the time, but everyone says the Saints are the best and hottest team in the league right now.

They don't lose at home.
And Breesus is unstoppable.

Wodwo
01-03-2012, 02:09 AM
I'm not saying this is the only factor or the determining factor, but I thought it might be interesting to some people who enjoy looking at situational stats. I've always felt that the playoffs are just a different beast than the regular season, but unfortunately the current 49ers have no playoff statistics to look at. Heh.

Drew Brees on grass in 2011:

160/230 for 1,849 yards 9 TDs 6 INTs 95.7 rating

Alex Smith at home in 2011:

131/209 for 1,620 yards 12 TDS 3 INTs 99.8 rating

Interpret that however you like. Personally, I'm scared to death of Jimmy Graham.

Saints-Tigers
01-03-2012, 04:26 AM

Lets just assume this year is last year.

I hope Julius Jones, Dave Thomas, Alex Brown, and all the backups that played last year play better than they did.

Oh wait...

J-Mike88
01-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Interpret that however you like.
Well, a Saints fan would point out there that ...... that was the 2011 Drew Brees on grass, and now it's 2012.

I'm actualy surprised if those numbers are accurate because he sure carved up my Packers on grass to open the season.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Well, a Saints fan would point out there that ...... that was the 2011 Drew Brees on grass, and now it's 2012.

I'm actualy surprised if those numbers are accurate because he sure carved up my Packers on grass to open the season.

Well nearly 2000 yards passing in 5 games is insane. However it was his TD/INT ratio that seems to be effected the most outside, this season.

J-Mike88
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Not sure if Alex Smith can become.... Dilfer or Johnson, but:

Passing is the name of the game. A ball can travel 60 yards a lot faster than Pierre Thomas can run 60 yards. And it can travel easier.

QB's rule the game, and they should.

Best RBs of today and the past decade:
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
CJ2K
Ray Rice

How many rings among them?
How many SB appearances among them?
Donuts, goose-eggs, bagels.

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

They all have rings.

Face it, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were exceptions to the rule.

Brent
01-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Here’s a stat you didn’t know about the Saints: They played five road games on grass this season. In those five games, their offense scored touchdowns in seven of 22 red zone trips. That’s a 31.8 percent red zone efficiency on grass, and that’s horrendous.

On the other hand, the Niners defense had a 25 percent red zone efficiency at Candlestick Park, meaning they allowed one touchdown for every four times the opponent made it into their red zone. That’s as good as it gets.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/

J-Mike88
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/
That's part of why I am picking the Niners to beat the Saints.
And the other part is that Brees just doesn't throw the ball as well in cold or windy weather. I hope he sees BOTH cold AND windy in San Fran next week.

If not, he will the week after.....

Wodwo
01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Face it, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were exceptions to the rule.

As they say... that's why they play the game.

It's also why I watch the game.

Football is the best sport EVAR!

Well, gladiator games were probably pretty awesome, but I didn't get to see those.

J-Mike88
01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Here we go....... New Orleans, meet real grass. Meet wind. Meet rain perhaps. Meet something we call "weather".......

How are the 49er DB's? Can they catch, unlike the Lions DB's?

Brent
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
How are the 49er DB's? Can they catch, unlike the Lions DB's?
how many synonyms do you have for "not good"?

Ness
01-07-2012, 10:20 PM
how many synonyms do you have for "not good"?

They are not as bad as we saw the Lions tonight. At least their tackling is decent and they get interceptions. Rogers has not had that great of a second half to the season though.

Oh, and our front seven better put more pressure on Brees than what I saw from Detroit. Hopefully Aldon Smith has a big game.

ninerfan
01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
3 things: the 9ers can tackle, they are great at take aways & there is going to be feeling in this game. Just remember the preseason game where the Saints continually blitzed to make a point, I think the 9ers have long memories.

Hopefully it'll be a classic

abaddon41_80
01-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Hopefully this game is as good as last year's MNF game was, with the 49ers not blowing it for themselves.

Brent
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
They are not as bad as we saw the Lions tonight. At least their tackling is decent and they get interceptions. Rogers has not had that great of a second half to the season though.

Oh, and our front seven better put more pressure on Brees than what I saw from Detroit. Hopefully Aldon Smith has a big game.

3 things: the 9ers can tackle, they are great at take aways & there is going to be feeling in this game. Just remember the preseason game where the Saints continually blitzed to make a point, I think the 9ers have long memories.

Hopefully it'll be a classic

Hopefully this game is as good as last year's MNF game was, with the 49ers not blowing it for themselves.
It's good to be around people who live the Niners :D

I don't get that often in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

ViperVisor
01-07-2012, 11:56 PM
49ers O-Line can't give 1/2 that protection 1/4 of the time.

Were boned.

Halsey
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Which team has the better RB corps?

I vote New Orleans.

Ness
01-08-2012, 12:06 AM
49ers O-Line can't give 1/2 that protection 1/4 of the time.

Were boned.

I don't see the offensive line choking against the Saints.

I think they'll probably have a good game. Didn't the Giants have the most sacks in the NFL when we played them? I don't remember Alex getting sacked in that game at all. Maybe he got sacked once. Actually, I think he did. Bottom line is that the offensive line had a good day.

Ness
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Which team has the better RB corps?

I vote New Orleans.

Well...New Orleans has three good backs. It helps though when you're playing with a great quarterback and great receivers that open up the run game via the pass.

Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter are a decent one-two punch. And they play on grass the majority of the time. The problem is Gore hasn't had a good game since maybe week 9. I mean he's piled up numbers, but I don't think he's dominated since we played the Redskins on the road. He's slowed down. Hopefully the bye week rejuvenates him somewhat. I really hope he has one of his best games. The Saints aren't that great against the run.

NOLAFan
01-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't see the offensive line choking against the Saints.

I think they'll probably have a good game. Didn't the Giants have the most sacks in the NFL when we played them? I don't remember Alex getting sacked in that game at all. Maybe he got sacked once. Actually, I think he did. Bottom line is that the offensive line had a good day.

I agree. I like the 49ers oline against the Saints awful dline.

Question though, why are 49ers fans talking as if the winds in Candlestick are gale force? Nobody on here that i know of but alot of my friends who live in San Fran just keep talking about how Brees is gonna have a hard time throwing in that wind. I dont get it. I lived in that area for four years, the wind aint that bad. Im more worried abour the 49ers' defense tearing us a new asshole.

Ness
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
I agree. I like the 49ers oline against the Saints awful dline.

Question though, why are 49ers fans talking as if the winds in Candlestick are gale force? Nobody on here that i know of but alot of my friends who live in San Fran just keep talking about how Brees is gonna have a hard time throwing in that wind. I dont get it. I lived in that area for four years, the wind aint that bad. Im more worried abour the 49ers' defense tearing us a new asshole.

Well...I live here currently. The weather isn't that bad at this moment I'm typing. It's just very cold. However, it can get super windy on any given day especially during this time of the year. SUPER windy. I walk most of the time around the city. Plus, Candlestick is close to the water. The inner bay is right next to the stadium like it is for the San Francisco Giants stadium. So there is going to be more wind over there.

No field goal kicker has ever kicked more than a 55 yard field goal here. Think of it that way.

VernonLawson89
01-08-2012, 12:45 AM
I live in the Bay Area and today was windy as hell

Caulibflower
01-08-2012, 01:32 AM
I can see the 49ers holding onto the ball long enough to take take the sting out of the Saints' offense, and I also think their defense will be able to make a few stops. The Saints are better overall, but I think this is a disciplined 49ers team and a really talented defense, and that's what you need to beat the Saints. Really, it's just going to come down to whether or not Alex Smith can make the plays he needs to make, because I think this is a pretty even matchup. You're talking about the league's best D going against the league's best offense. It's going to be fun to watch. I anticipate a good football game.

DBNYDP
01-08-2012, 04:24 AM
The 49ers have one of the most athletically gifted and disciplined defenses in the league, it should be interesting to see them clash with the hot NO offense. I think there are going to be more than a couple great matchups when it comes to those sides of the ball clashing. I wonder if they'll put Willis on Graham as I think he might be athletic enough to actually shut him down. I doubt that the Saints will have anywhere close to the success they had in the screen/running game against the 49ers, because the 49ers are pretty solid tacklers overall, plus with Willis/Bowman there I can't see those ILBs wiffing on tackles that gave the Saints second life. That secondary isn't the best in the league but Rogers is playing really well, as is Goldson, and they are at least disciplined so I can't see them leaving huge gaps in their coverage for Brees to exploit. Aldon Smith is one of the most effective pass rushing OLB in the league and with the Saints passing a lot (I really think their run game is going to get shut down by this stellar run defense) he might be in for a big game.

But if the Saints do take the lead which very well might happen given the big play ability they have, I can see them forcing the 49ers to execute an offensive gameplan that really isn't to their favor. Alex Smith in a playoff game is going to be very interesting.

The differences in the nature of the teams is going to make this game incredibly interesting I think.

SuperPacker
01-08-2012, 05:01 AM
I think the 49ers win! The saints have proved they're not that good on tthe road by losing to the Rams, Packers and Bucs. Yes, the saints lost to the Bucs.

I dont really know why people are thinking the Saints are going to beat the 49ers away and then beat the Packers away.

J-Mike88
01-08-2012, 07:58 AM
What is the recipe to beating the Saints?
Well, from their losses to the Rams, and the Bucs, THIS season on the road, it's pressure on Brees, and it's DB's catching the football.
In those 2 losses, he was sacked and pressured quite a bit (Chris Long says hello), and he threw 5 interceptions.

He might have had 3 interceptions last night if the Lions DB's had dipped their arms into some Lester Hayes-branded syrup before the game.

Can the Niners interior, along with Aldon Smith, get enough pressure on Brees?

Can the Niners defense make SOME STOPS on 3rd downs? The Lions couldn't. Third & long, it didn't matter last night.

And can the Niners keep the game close long enough so they don't have to change their offensive MO?
That team is not good enough in the passing game to come from way behind.... they need to keep the Saints from quick long touchdowns and force them to settle for FGs on their drives.

I think Frank Gore and Vernon Davis are the keys.
If the Niners win, I can see Gore with around 25-30 carries for 130 yards (almost like Arian Foster yesterday, but not quite), and see Vernon Davis with 10 catches for 140. He needs to hit a big play or 2, and he's capable for sure.

I will watch this weather forecast closely.. as I will in Green Bay for the visit from Eli or Matt Ice.

Weather is always a factor in those 2 stadiums this time of the year, unlike in New Orleans or Indianapolis.

VAfy-ya
01-08-2012, 08:14 AM
For my Niners, it will come down to how will Alex Smith and the O-Line handle the blitz. Blitz pick-up has been the achilles heel of our offense all season. No QB was sacked more than Alex Smith. Dr. Heat(Gregg Williams) will throw every blitz package he has against our offense and the question will be how well does the O-Line block and how quick will Alex's decision-making be? He has to get rid of the ball fast and accurately. He hasn't really done that all year really against the blitz. It will need to happen Sat.

On defense, because the Saints O-Line is so effective at chipping edge rushers, I dont see Aldon Smith having a big day. And we like to play alot of zone, which is a no-no verus the Saints. So Fangio will have to bring some exotic looks to the table and actually bring the blitz more than he has at any point this year. We can't just rush four, as Brees will just step up and throw darts on those seam routes. We will have to press more and disguise coverages but most importantly we will have to bring pressure in the face of Brees. Stunts, zero gap blitzes, even some well timed CB blitzes to break-up the timing of that offense. Defense should pratice at a faster pace this week to mirror how the Saints get in and out of the huddle so quickly.

One thing I do think favors us is the Saints haven't faced a defense as discplined and as sound as we are. Most teams have a hard time just getting lined-up correctly verus the Saints. We have guys that know their assignments and guys who dont play outside the scheme. The Lions had breakdowns in assignments that were crucial last night. We dont normally have those problems. That bodes well when facing a offense like the Saints. We have sure tacklers(except for Goldson) and guys that don't drop ints so if Brees gets reckless with the ball, we have guys who should captialize on those. And most importantly, we lead the league in takeaways, so we have guys who make splash plays and give our offense extra posessions. We'll need them to continue that trend against Brees &Co.

The biggest problem will be Sproles. Graham will get his. The WRs will make some plays. But there is no answer defensively for Sproles. As good of ILBs as we have, I wouldnt dare think they could keep up with Sproles. He is the x-factor for that offense and being able to get them off the field on 3rd downs.

dan77733
01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Only way the 49ers will lose this game if the referees hand the game to the Saints just like they did last night.

BaLLiN
01-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Is Willis 100% yet? Another thing is the Saints have trouble with TE's right?

VernonLawson89
01-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Yes Willis is 100%

BloodBrother
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Can't wait for this game

Right now my gut still says to go with the Saints in this match-up.

Ness
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Only way the 49ers will lose this game if the referees hand the game to the Saints just like they did last night.

Or they just outplay the 49ers. The Lions defense was God-awful last night. Couldn't stop the run, and couldn't stop the pass. Maybe there were a couple of calls here or there, but it's not like it would have changed the outcome of the game. The Saints still would have won. Even if you get the Lions that one touchdown.

CJSchneider
01-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Because 5 second half TD's were all gift wrapped presents from the refs, weren't they.

Brent
01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Because 5 second half TD's were all gift wrapped presents from the refs, weren't they.
duh, they should have thrown the flag for excessive TDing.

Caulibflower
01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
The 49ers have one of the most athletically gifted and disciplined defenses in the league, it should be interesting to see them clash with the hot NO offense. I think there are going to be more than a couple great matchups when it comes to those sides of the ball clashing. I wonder if they'll put Willis on Graham as I think he might be athletic enough to actually shut him down. I doubt that the Saints will have anywhere close to the success they had in the screen/running game against the 49ers, because the 49ers are pretty solid tacklers overall, plus with Willis/Bowman there I can't see those ILBs wiffing on tackles that gave the Saints second life. That secondary isn't the best in the league but Rogers is playing really well, as is Goldson, and they are at least disciplined so I can't see them leaving huge gaps in their coverage for Brees to exploit. Aldon Smith is one of the most effective pass rushing OLB in the league and with the Saints passing a lot (I really think their run game is going to get shut down by this stellar run defense) he might be in for a big game.

But if the Saints do take the lead which very well might happen given the big play ability they have, I can see them forcing the 49ers to execute an offensive gameplan that really isn't to their favor. Alex Smith in a playoff game is going to be very interesting.

The differences in the nature of the teams is going to make this game incredibly interesting I think.

The screen/short pass game is going to be the big difference, as the 49ers have terrific linebackers. Pierre Thomas isn't going to be breaking tackles like he was agains the Lions, and it's going to be a lot harder in general to run after the catch on those short throws. The deep throws I think will still be dangerous, but taking away the short stuff is definitely going to affect the Saint's offensive strategy.

J-Mike88
01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Well..... seems pretty similar to me.
Dome team loses outdoors at underdog NFC West team.
Season ends.
Pretty QB and passing team loses to inferior QB.
Excuses made.
Season's still over.

Congrats to the 18 of you who realized that things would be different outdoors than inside, despite it being nicer than usual there this time of year. 18 picked SF... hopefully some of you wagered some $ on them as well.

I'd been looking forward to this game for a long time.

LonghornsLegend
01-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Am I the only one who has thought about how interesting it would be to see Alex Smith vs Rodgers in the NFC championship game? The two argued picks for #1 overall. How sexy would that be? I'm rooting for GB purely for the fact that it would be the most interesting story line I've seen in a very long time.

Alex Smith earned a new respect for me today. The Niners won with their defense in the 1st half, and Alex Smith won it in the 2nd half. Who would have thought he could lead 2 TD drives that late in the game when they HAD to have them?

How about the play-calling from Harbaugh? It's truly amazing how disciplined, well coached, and physical this team is. That all stems from the head coach.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
The play calling from Harbaugh was terrible today. It almost cost them the win.

Ness
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Yes. And the third downs were God-awful. That has to get better.

hawkeye123
01-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Greg Roman calls the plays.

LonghornsLegend
01-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Maybe I was thinking more about the end of the game, come to think about it they were stalling quite a bit early on. But the call where Alex Smith ran the ball in with Staley pulling on 3rd and 7 I thought was brilliant, and the last drive as well. Then again, wasn't sure who was calling the plays either.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Maybe I was thinking more about the end of the game, come to think about it they were stalling quite a bit early on. But the call where Alex Smith ran the ball in with Staley pulling on 3rd and 7 I thought was brilliant, and the last drive as well. Then again, wasn't sure who was calling the plays either.

Yeah that's very true, the Smith call was excellent. I just wasn't a fan of all the passes when the run was working so well. They almost outsmarted themselves.

Mufasa
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Am I the only one who has thought about how interesting it would be to see Alex Smith vs Rodgers in the NFC championship game? The two argued picks for #1 overall. How sexy would that be? I'm rooting for GB purely for the fact that it would be the most interesting story line I've seen in a very long time.

The fact that Rodgers already got his Super Bowl takes away from that quite a bit.

LonghornsLegend
01-14-2012, 10:14 PM
The fact that Rodgers already got his Super Bowl takes away from that quite a bit.

Well Rodgers is a much better QB so that's not surprising, but still. Both were disputed #1 picks in the same draft, and now they could face off for a chance to go to the SB. I don't think that's happened too often. I'd feel the same with a Rivers vs Eli SB or anything along those lines.

I just think it would be interesting to see them face off in such a meaningful game.

Basileus777
01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Rodgers and Smith haven't really been linked with each other the same way as other quarterbacks from the same draft class. That and the vast gap in success between the two really takes away from that storyline.

Ness
01-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Greg Roman calls the plays.

No I think Harbaugh calls a lot of them himself too. It's not just all Roman.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
No I think Harbaugh calls a lot of them himself too. It's not just all Roman.

Shouldn't you be out partying?

Ness
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Shouldn't you be out partying?

Went out for a bite to eat. It's only 8:34PM here.

By the way, I'm already worn out from earlier.

Caulibflower
01-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I was watching the game at a friend's house, and one of his non-football-watching roommates came out, saw Justin Smith devouring Jermon Bushrod and Drew Brees at the same time, and said he thought Justin Smith shouldn't be allowed to play football, because he was too dangerous.

Timbathia
01-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I was watching the game at a friend's house, and one of his non-football-watching roommates came out, saw Justin Smith devouring Jermon Bushrod and Drew Brees at the same time, and said he thought Justin Smith shouldn't be allowed to play football, because he was too dangerous.

I am pretty sure he is a bikie gang enforcer in the offseason.

Wodwo
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm not saying this is the only factor or the determining factor, but I thought it might be interesting to some people who enjoy looking at situational stats. I've always felt that the playoffs are just a different beast than the regular season, but unfortunately the current 49ers have no playoff statistics to look at. Heh.

Interpret that however you like. Personally, I'm scared to death of Jimmy Graham.

Sometimes statistics actually mean something. Heh.

descendency
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Sometimes statistics actually mean something. Heh.

You are comparing home vs away statistics. Not fair.

49erNation85
01-14-2012, 11:58 PM
At least we know now who the better team is finally!! Go 49ers!!

Mufasa
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
At least we know now who the better team is finally!! Go 49ers!!
Not to take anything away from the 49ers, it was a great win, but I still think the Saints were the better team.

Halsey
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
It seems fair to say that Alex Smith was actually a very good use of the 49ers #1 overall pick in 2005. Had he been surrounded by a better organization prior to this season, he might be an established franchise QB by now. Aaron Rodgers would obviously have been a better choice, but that doesn't make Smith a bad pick.

Bengalsrocket
01-15-2012, 12:30 AM
It seems fair to say that Alex Smith was actually a very good use of the 49ers #1 overall pick in 2005. Had he been surrounded by a better organization prior to this season, he might be an established franchise QB by now. Aaron Rodgers would obviously have been a better choice, but that doesn't make Smith a bad pick.

It's possible that if he had a coach / team that was better, he would have performed like this sooner. But it's also possible that no matter how good the team around him was, he just needed lots and lots of time to put it all together.

I'm not trying to knock on Smith or anything. My concern is that a lot of QB's have done more with an equivalent situations. I just find it to easy to blame everyone else rather than putting the responsibility on the person who is ultimately responsible for their performance.

Either way though, I'm really happy for him and more importantly the organization. To often in the NFL (and most sports, really) are we so quick to judge a player. I look at the Sanchez thread and how many people want to get rid of him, and I fear that if they do it will only end in regret. Though his situation is slightly different, as his team is really built to win now, while the 49ers weren't.

Also, the Saints played a really good game too. They made a lot of critical mistakes, but they still fought hard into the end of the game. I know there is a pretty big section of these forums that loves tough football with good defense, but this one was fun to watch :)

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
A good quarter against a bad defense and now Alex Smith is a franchise QB? Oh man....

Ness
01-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Not to take anything away from the 49ers, it was a great win, but I still think the Saints were the better team.

That's fine. They certainly weren't today.

mqtirishfan
01-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Great game by Alex Smith. Tim Tebow had one of those kind of games last week, though. I like Smith as a midlevel NFL QB that can win you games. I don't think that kind of performance is likely to be seen again, though.

descendency
01-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Alex Smith: "At least I'm not Brady Quinn."

Ness
01-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Great game by Alex Smith. Tim Tebow had one of those kind of games last week, though. I like Smith as a midlevel NFL QB that can win you games. I don't think that kind of performance is likely to be seen again, though.

Hopefully it won't have to, and whoever we face, we won't have to go down to the wire for a win.

Alex isn't Tebow, and the 49ers aren't the Broncocs. Even during the times we've lost, our games are always close usually within one score because of our D.

Wodwo
01-15-2012, 02:22 AM
You are comparing home vs away statistics. Not fair.

Sarcasm meter broken.

That was the point of my post. Situational statistics.

Wodwo
01-15-2012, 02:35 AM

This play:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394930_10150493380095958_133312820957_8885603_1064 213166_n.jpg

Caulibflower
01-15-2012, 04:23 AM
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2012/01/14/18/40/19pgqJ.St.4.jpg
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2012/01/14/18/40/1rbcmr.St.4.jpg

Brent
01-15-2012, 07:08 AM
A good quarter against a bad defense and now Alex Smith is a franchise QB? Oh man....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/Smith-smiling.jpg

Rabscuttle
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM

I'd say they struggled a little last night. They played man on him so they could blitz and Davis took advantage of it. Walker was missing and manning up on him can be a problem too.

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Rooting for the Niners yesterday, which is not too common, I came away with these clear thoughts:

#1- Obviously, the offense and Alex came up big time clutch. That's big ballz there from Alex.

#2- Justin Smith, not Navarro Bowman or Patrick Willis, is the best player on that Niners defense. But those LBers, and the DBs, tackle like freaking beasts (except on those 2 big scores late by Graham and Sproles). Most of the time, they were right on Sproles when he caught the ball... tackling I am not used to seeing as my Packers defense tackles like high school kids.

#3- Overall passing offense was awful for 3/4 of the game. I am accustomed to seeing precision passing & catching, and I was amazed at how bad it was... I saw open Crabtree easy slant, throw at his toes, drop. Next pass, perfect pass and he dropped it.
And it seems like almost all of Crabtree's routes were slants. Balls batted down on the 6' 4" Smith.... the playcalling and passing was awful.

#4- Vernon Davis. Was he more impressive than even Gronkowski yesterday? Now I really wish we had draftedf VD at #5 instead of AJ Hawk back in 2006. Davis did what we dream J-Mike would ever do. VD is faster, stronger, more aggressive, and has better hands, than J-Mike.

#5- The OL..... they didn't have their best game, but they opened up just enough holes, and the one big run from Gore in the 4th quarter that led to the FG was a great blocked play, as was the Alex keeper for the TD around the left edge.

#6- Harbaugh is just a great coach. He was a gritty smart player, and that's the type of guy who makes a great coach quite often.

These guys are contenders now, and if they can add a WR or 2, and refine that passing game, they're here to stay. Especially in that division. Hard to believe the Rams almost won it last year.

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Rodgers and Smith haven't really been linked with each other the same way as other quarterbacks from the same draft class. That and the vast gap in success between the two really takes away from that storyline.

How have they not been linked in the same way? Every time Rodgers sitting around in the green room gets brought up, it comes back to Alex Smith being the #1 overall pick and not him. Aaron Rodgers was a California kid growing up, pretty sure he was a huge Niner fan as was his family. I'm not sure how many other QB combos from the same draft class could be linked together more.

I get that the success between the two hasn't been close, but the past doesn't matter if they are both facing off for a shot at the SB.

VAfy-ya
01-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Well technically, he's been a franchise QB without much of a franchise for the last seven years. I dont think ppl remember just how talent deprived the Niners were back in 2005 when Alex came into the league. And I don't think ppl remember just how bad our play was under defensive minded morons like Nolan and Singletary. But enough about the past. He just beat the best statsical QB in NFL history. You can call him whatever you want. The guy will only get better with a entire off-season under Jimbaugh to get into the offense and work on his mechanics and the finer points of the position. I don't think ppl realize that due to the lockout, we're only playing with about 70% of the playbook. This offense and Alex should be better by leaps and bounds next year.

VAfy-ya
01-15-2012, 11:50 AM
How have they not been linked in the same way? Every time Rodgers sitting around in the green room gets brought up, it comes back to Alex Smith being the #1 overall pick and not him. Aaron Rodgers was a California kid growing up, pretty sure he was a huge Niner fan as was his family. I'm not sure how many other QB combos from the same draft class could be linked together more.

I get that the success between the two hasn't been close, but the past doesn't matter if they are both facing off for a shot at the SB.

Not only was he a huge Niner fan, he said he wore a Joe Montana jersey under his uniform at Cal. I read that he absolutely wanted to be a Niner on draft day in 2005. If they face off for the NFC Championship, it will be a HUGE storyline leading up to the game. Plus the fact that McCarthy, who was the OC for the Niners that year, told Nolan and the GM that he thought Alex would be the better pro.

Halsey
01-15-2012, 03:49 PM

That's a simple minded argument. Smith has started many games for the 49ers, including all 14 of the games they've won so far this year.

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 03:56 PM
That's a simple minded argument. Smith has started many games for the 49ers, including all 14 of the games they've won so far this year.

And he was thoroughly mediocre for most of those games.

Halsey
01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
And he was thoroughly mediocre for most of those games.

He's played well enough to help his team win NFL games. The 49ers drafted him to help them win games, not to please every Joe on a message board with an opinion.

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
The 9ers did an excellent job hiding and minimizing Smith throughout the season, and he had a great 4th quarter against the Saints, but to credit him for the team's success is a big stretch. Alex Smith is closer to a Matt Cassel than a legitimate franchise QB. Using the "he just wins games" argument in his favor is especially silly considering how poor the 9ers have been with him at QB throughout the years.

Halsey
01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Yep, the 9ers hid him by having him throw 42 passes yesterday...

You don't win in the NFL by "hiding" your QB. That's fan talk, not reality.

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Alex Smith threw less passes than any QB that started 16 games this season. The 49ers game planned to minimize his impact on the game and let their defense and rushing attack win games. One good quarter against a bad defense doesn't change what Alex Smith is and neither does all your condescension and nonsense about fan talk.

Brent
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Alex Smith threw less passes than any QB that started 16 games this season. The 49ers game planned to minimize his impact on the game and let their defense and rushing attack win games. One good quarter against a bad defense doesn't change what Alex Smith is and neither does all your condescension and nonsense about fan talk.
The Niners didn't need him to win every game.

Ness
01-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Yes, but it's Alex's first season in this new system. Doesn't mean he hasn't or won't further progress as time goes by. When the game has been on the line this season or when the 49ers have needed to come back he's come through. He has the most game winning drives of every quarterback this season.

And guys like Steve McNair and Troy Aikman worked in similar offenses were the running game was the main factor via Eddie George and Emmitt Smith. Alex doesn't have the fantasy football numbers, but he can be a decent quarterback in this league.

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Alex doesn't have the fantasy football numbers, but he can be a decent quarterback in this league.

I agree that I think he can be a decent starter. I never said he was garbage, Halsey came after me for saying he wasn't a franchise QB, which is hardly a bold claim.

Saints-Tigers
01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
At least the 9ers beat us, and we didn't walk out on the field, **** our pants and foam at the mouth because of grass. I was really worried if Brees would be able to break a huddle on a grass field.

Halsey
01-15-2012, 04:30 PM
I said he's turned out to be a good use #1 overall pick in the 2005 Draft. He's started many games and provided the 9ers with quality at QB. He's not as terrible a passer as many fans make him out to be and his mobility is underrated.

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree that I think he can be a decent starter. I never said he was garbage, Halsey came after me for saying he wasn't a franchise QB, which is hardly a bold claim.

But you also went out of your way to try and dis credit him. Like those two long TD drives in the 4th qt weren't a thing of beauty. He made a ton of amazing throws there. If you had said he would need to do that before the game you would have easily said SF fail. Those throws to VD were lasors, right on the money, just because he's been average in his career up to this point doesn't change that.

The last drive they started at the 15, with I think 1 timeout. He was asked to win the game, on a very huge stage, and he stepped up in a big way to do it. Point blank. I don't think what he did deserves to be dis-credited by saying it was against a bad defense, or by bringing up what he's done in his career up to this point.

Before both of those TD drives I said it was over for SF, no way he'll lead a drive down for a TD vs a Gregg Williams defense. He was throwing strikes to VD with very little room to get the ball in, in clutch situations, not much to be said other then giving him his props instead of trying to find ways to make it less meaningful.

abaddon41_80
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Brent's last post is spot on. The 49ers didn't hide Smith this season, at least not intentionally, they just didn't need him all that often. Whenever they did, in the games they trailed, he came back to win the game.