PDA

View Full Version : Doug Martin, RB, Boise St.

DBNYDP
12-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Personally I love Doug Martin. He's built like a tank, runs in between the tackles well, and really uses his low center of gravity. He has good quickness and also has pretty good breakaway speed. He has soft hands and I don't see any real problems with route running. Haven't seen him much in pass pro, but from what I've seen he hasn't really had huge problems. His stats are solid and I think he'll light up the combine.

Really easy to see a Ray Rice or MJD comparison with about the same build and running style.

I would have no problem using a late 1st or an early 2nd on him, and he's probably my #2 RB behind Richardson.

Thoughts?

PossibleCabbage
12-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Doug Martin is the upper-middle-class man's Mark Ingram. Nothing really special about him, but absolutely everything is solid.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Doug Martin is the upper-middle-class man's Mark Ingram. Nothing really special about him, but absolutely everything is solid.

Spot on...

BeerBaron
12-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I actually like his burst a little better than Ingram, and I think he has better hands out of the backfield. (Do recall that I'm not a fan of Ingram.)

I'd love, love love, love for the Bears to take Martin with one of their 3rd rounders to backup/potentially replace Forte if need be.

Martin is incredibly balanced and I think he does everything relatively well, even if he doesn't totally blow you away in any one area.

thefridge15
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I like Doug Martin and he does compare to MJD and Rice but I don't feel like he moves as well laterally as either of those two guys. He's a much more linear runner, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Caulibflower
01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Was going to start a new thread out of enthusiasm, but held back and found one already created. I'm starting to get pretty excited about this Martin guy, especially since he seems to be a 2nd-3rd round guy in most people's eyes. Like DBNYDP, I've got him as my no. 2 running back right now behind Richardson. Every time I watch him I come away more impressed. He's got legitimate breakaway speed, terrific balance and runs like the Tazmanian Devil. He's got the perfect build and even has good hands. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal, but I also love that he played some strong safety earlier in his career. That's the kind of attitude you want in your primary ballcarrier. He's a pretty violent runner who's got some serious quicks and speed to him as well. Tons of yards after contact. Despite having speed, doesn't just look to bounce it outside; he's really good at following his blockers and seeing and hitting the holes hard, whether that means angling for the sideline or turning it back inside.

Videos: (Spoiler-style so as not to clutter the page)

Versus Arizona State 2011
ONBzZDKI7IY
Versus Nevada 2010 (I think)
n9fhe5OROhM
Versus New Mexico 2011
WKK-FPhRMpg
Versus Nevada 2011
FWbdVlcCX9s

norcalgsr
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Poor man's Jonathan Stewart.

Caulibflower
01-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Poor man's Jonathan Stewart.

Nah. Smaller Jonathan Stewart.

4U2NV
01-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm really starting to like what I've seen from Martin. I was watching some Ray Rice highlights from his days at Rutgers earlier and there's some eerily similar traits there and they are almost identical in size. Martin jumps off the screen everytime I watch him and somebody that is quickly rising up my board. I'm looking forward to watching him a bit closer at the Senior Bowl.

ellsy82
01-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm really starting to like what I've seen from Martin. I was watching some Ray Rice highlights from his days at Rutgers earlier and there's some eerily similar traits there and they are almost identical in size. Martin jumps off the screen everytime I watch him and somebody that is quickly rising up my board. I'm looking forward to watching him a bit closer at the Senior Bowl.

I like your comparison of his running style to Rice.

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Martin is 3rd on my rankings and i think hes gonna be a star!

rawdawg
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
I actually like his burst a little better than Ingram, and I think he has better hands out of the backfield. (Do recall that I'm not a fan of Ingram.)

I'd love, love love, love for the Bears to take Martin with one of their 3rd rounders to backup/potentially replace Forte if need be.

Martin is incredibly balanced and I think he does everything relatively well, even if he doesn't totally blow you away in any one area.

Agree with all of this, and I liked Ingram, but didn't love him. I don't think the Bears would go with a RB that early, but if you don't work out a long-term deal with Forte you gotta keep the option open. Forte long-term deal or not, I'd hate to draft a RB in the 3rd if 2 of DE, WR, LT are NOT filled in free agency. They take care of a couple of those position with veterans, then they can go after WR, CB in the first 2 rounds and then get a LB and RB with their 2 3rd rounders.

Iamcanadian
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Good description!

the_dark_knight
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I like Martin, never really looked too much into RBs as the Falcons don't need one right now, I mean they could use a CoP back that's got some explosion and Martin doesn't really fit that, but I would love to see him in Atlanta getting groomed to take over for Turner. He reminds me of Michael Turner in terms of patience and vision, the difference to me is that he's got the athletic ability to make those cuts when he sees the holes.

A lot of times Turner will see a cutback, but just can't really get back the other direction fast enough, Martin seems to have that ability. You know another guy that he reminds me of, Curtis Martin. That guy was nothing 'special' but man he was a work horse for years and years. I know it's got a lot to do with the last name, but I remember watching him run and he was a down hill type runner too, but he could always seem to just get off the hit enough to squirt for a couple more yards.

Not elite speed, not elite anything really, but I'd say he's got some excellent vision and cutback ability that would be 2nd tier, he's not going to rival shady or anyone like that, but for a back with a thicker build, he's got very good ability to change directions.

norcalgsr
01-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Martin = Chad Simpson

PrimetimeTheDon
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I saw Doug Martin 2 years ago and was thoroughly impressed. Thick as ****, thighs the size of beer kegs, and as aggressive running the ball as Awnold in Commando. A sweet explosiveness.

Give me this kid in the late first and I'm happier than a pig in ****.

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Hmm looks like a good mid round pickup for a team with lightning and looking for a little more thunder in the running game.

Reminds me a little of Ridley who we drafted last year in the third.

Is it just me or does Detroit look like a great landing spot for him in the 3rd or 4th? I think the lightning of Best and Smith, middle of Leshoure (and give him time to get knee back) and thunder of Martin.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Hmm looks like a good mid round pickup for a team with lightning and looking for a little more thunder in the running game.

Is it just me or does Detroit look like a great landing spot for him in the 3rd or 4th? I think the lightning of Best and Smith, middle of Leshoure (and give him time to get knee back) and thunder of Martin.

That's way too many RBs, IMO. Smith proved to be a good all-around back, Best is the dangerous threat, and Leshoure is kind of the power runner.

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
That's way too many RBs, IMO. Smith proved to be a good all-around back, Best is the dangerous threat, and Leshoure is kind of the power runner.

Best is dangerous yet I would rather limit his straight rushed and increase him in other areas. Smith looked alright, but do you think anyone is banking on him? Leshoure is a big guy, but not a huge power guy, and who knows how he comes back from his injury.

Four guys is not too many if you aren't going to have that one all around guy.

Caulibflower
01-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Best is dangerous yet I would rather limit his straight rushed and increase him in other areas. Smith looked alright, but do you think anyone is banking on him? Leshoure is a big guy, but not a huge power guy, and who knows how he comes back from his injury.

If they draft Martin, they might as well just get rid of Smith and LeShoure.

Lil Quip
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
If they draft Martin, they might as well just get rid of Smith and LeShoure.

I don't know about this. Although it is not exactly the same, but I see the Lions building their offense like the Pats and Saints. Both team have a huge platoon of backs.

We spent a second and a third on a running back (granted we lost Vereen) we kept Woodhead BGE and even Kevin Faulk.

Leshoure is going to stay around, and I doubt Smith is going to look elsewhere for work, so why not keep him around?

Shere Khan
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM

That there is a LOT of Running Backs.

Forget a RBBC, more like a Running-Back-By-Time-Share.

Caulibflower
01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Sounds like he's ballin' at the Senior Bowl, just like I expected. I think he can be a Pro Bowler.

SuperPacker
01-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Sounds like he's ballin' at the Senior Bowl, just like I expected. I think he can be a Pro Bowler.

Completely agree! He's second in my RB rankings behind Richardson.

Inspector71
01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I am a big fan of his also. I like the Rice comparison because I think Martin has the hands to be a 60+ reception guy. I'm not sure he can climb as high as the 1st round and leapfrog Miller or Wilson because Teams may want their speed over Martin's power.

I would love for the Browns to get him in the 3rd but we would probably need to use #37 on him.

Caulibflower
01-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I think the gap between Martin and Miller/Wilson's speed is going to cease to be a question after the combine.

Inspector71
01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know about that. Wilson is gonna run between 4.35 and 4.45 ans Miller has supposedly ran under 4.4 also. I think Martin si a 4.5 guy and that is plenty fast for a 219 lb Running back. But some teams want that burner and will value them above him.

4U2NV
01-26-2012, 12:41 AM
I think Martin is a vastly superior runner than Wilson is. I'm not a fan of Wilson's instincts (case in point the number of times he tries to run backwards to make a play, that'll get him killed in the NFL and eventually benched) and I think his vision is only average. Martin's vision is excellent, he's able to find those tiny creases at the line and power through them into the second level. You rarely, if ever, see him get stuffed for a loss, his feet is always moving and he always seems to fall forward. He's also more than capable of out-running people in the open field and as others have mentioned many times, he's a very good receiver. I think Martin ultimately ends up as a high to mid 2nd round pick and if Wilson ends up going in the 1st, the team that takes him will end up kicking themselves for passing on Martin to do so. The only thing that Wilson has over Martin is his top speed, but Martin won't end up being that much slower to really have it be the deciding factor.

I'm having a harder time separating him from Miller though.

Caulibflower
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't know about that. Wilson is gonna run between 4.35 and 4.45 ans Miller has supposedly ran under 4.4 also. I think Martin si a 4.5 guy and that is plenty fast for a 219 lb Running back. But some teams want that burner and will value them above him.

I didn't mean that he'd be faster, necessarily, but I don't think the difference is going to be big enough that people prefer Wilson, because Martin offers so much more. And I do expect him to time well. Miller's still a bigger name, but I've been more impressed when I watch Martin play. Those two are pretty close for me, but I think Martin is a tougher runner and is harder to bring down.

Diehard
01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I think Martin is a vastly superior runner than Wilson is. I'm not a fan of Wilson's instincts (case in point the number of times he tries to run backwards to make a play, that'll get him killed in the NFL and eventually benched) and I think his vision is only average.

I agree with this 100%... and I'm a Hokies fan. Wilson is a great athlete but Martin plays the position much better in terms of vision, instincts, hitting the hole and decision-making. Those things can make a big difference at the next level, where Wilson won't be able to rely as much on his athletic ability to run over / outrun opposing defenses.

Inspector71
01-27-2012, 01:33 AM
I think you guys make several good points. But I also think that Martin played inferior competition overall compared to Wilson and that is going to matter in the evaluation.

A lot of the times Wilson ran backwards for a loss was because there was very little room to run. I think if they both lined up and had the same holes to run through against Idaho;), Wilson would put up bigger numbers than Martin. I think this could be an argument of who fits your offense better.

I aslo think that Wilson has fantastic hands also and will be a Special Teams demon if used as a Returner for his Team.

I would like the Browns to land either one of them. it's a tough call but I'm pretty sure Wilson will be drafted first of the two.

the_dark_knight
01-27-2012, 08:11 AM
I like threads like this one, I've become more and more of a fan of Martin, but I was hoping he'd be there in round 3 for the Falcons, looks more and more like that's not a possibility. I love how decisive he is, and I love how he just gets what he can get instead of always trying to break a big play.

To me that's the biggest difference, Wilson is always looking to hit a homerun, and that's partially because he's got the ability, Martin on the other hand is looking to hit that first down or put his team in a better position on to make a play on 2nd or 3rd down. They're 2 pretty contrasting backs and I think a team or 4 will fall in love with each of these backs for totally different reasons.

That's part of what's great about the NFL, despite everyone "knowing" what works and what doesn't, there's always someone out there who defies logic, even if only for a season or two before their star burns out. I love watching how different teams build, and what traits different teams look for. It's why we're all here, why we all try to predict this crazy event that is the NFL draft, and why no one EVER gets it all right!

I think whoever drafts these guys will be happy with their selection, and as far as who's coming off the board first, I'd give the nod to Martin. He's got that 1 cut downhill guy and there are a lot of teams running a ZBS of some sort, I could see the Skins taking him he seems like a Shannahan type of guy.

Iamcanadian
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe Wilson and Miller will still go before Martin, they are likely 1st round talents while Martin will see round 2. The NFL doesn't draft RB's who aren't a homerun threat in round 1. Not saying Martin won't turnout to be the better back but Wilson scares opponents every time he touches the ball and Miller may or may not turnout to be a similar RB. We'll know better when they run their 40 time at the combine.

Caulibflower
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Lately when I read about Martin, I keep hearing things like, "He's rising up draft boards, but we'll have to see how he times at the combine." I keep hearing things to the effect of, "He's more quick than fast," "He plays faster than he times," "Does he have true breakaway speed?"

The guy was ripping off big plays his entire career, and he's been logged in the 4.4s since high school. His rivals.com listed time coming out of high school was a 4.47, and according to this: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/05/03/ccripe/the_fastest_boise_state_football_player_2011_corne rback_jamar_ta (Times from Boise's Pro Day last year) He ran a 4.41 40, did the three-cone in 6.55, had 28 bench reps and a 37 inch vertical. The guy's a terrific athlete, is dedicated in the weight room, has legitimate long speed and is so natural and smooth running the ball people don't think he's fast. He's going to destroy in the NFL if he lands in a good situation.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Becoming more and more of a fan each day.

stlouisfan37
02-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Leshoure will be back for sure whenever he is healthy. The Lions really liked him before the injury and can't wait for his return.

Smith has recently said that he would like to come back, but the Lions don't seem all that excited in him except as a player they can call on in a pinch. He was very productive as a fill-in this season.

Best - and I hate to say it because I really loved watching him play - think he is done. He has just had too many whacks up side the head. The hit he took against Oregon State was as bad as I have ever seen and I don't think he has ever really been the same since. And he has had several more concussions since. I think he needs to hang em up.

So I don't think the Lions can feel very comfortable at all regarding their RB situation. I think Leshoure willcome back and will be a very good back, but probably not at full strength this season. I'm not counting on Best at all and I think the team will try to replace Smith.

SenorGato
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Becoming more and more of a fan each day.

Same here...I think he's at least a solid Thomas Jones type runner with the right team/s, and possibly he's more versatile.

Caulibflower
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Same here...I think he's at least a solid Thomas Jones type runner with the right team/s, and possibly he's more versatile.

Remember Thomas Jones was picked #7 overall, and might've lived up to the hype if he hadn't spent his early years on putrid teams, or if Chicago had just committed to him instead of drafting Benson. Jones is #22 on the all-time rushing yards list, and that's pretty impressive considering he never really seemed to truly belong to any particular team. He's always seemed to have that journeyman aura about him.

norcalgsr
02-25-2012, 02:33 AM
People comparing Doug Martin to Ray Rice are way off, Trent Richardson is much closer to Rice in running style and ability. Richardson and Martin are the same exact height 5'9-1/8", but, on the field, TRich runs much lower and more compact.

stlouisfan37
02-25-2012, 02:49 AM
I recognize that this thread is about Martin and his draft stock, but I have to ask this question...I have repeatedly read in these forums that Martin, Miller and Wilson are all in that 2nd round range, but rarely is anyone including LaMichael James in the conversation. Has his stock dropped or is he just flying under the radar?

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I've never been a fan of LaMichael James, but I think he helped himself a bit at the weigh-in, actually. 5'8" 194 isn't a bad build for a running back. Those are just your Leon Washington, Justin Forestt-types of the world. I think he'd be a perfectly good pick in the 3rd or 4th, but I just don't think he's going to offer enough to justify a higher pick. And I think most people feel that way - that he's a really good college player who's going to have a role in the pros, but isn't going to be a Pro Bowler. The discussion just naturally gravitates towards players whose arc of potential seem to have more pronounced extremes between success and failure.

onejayhawk
02-25-2012, 07:40 AM
I've never been a fan of LaMichael James, but I think he helped himself a bit at the weigh-in, actually. 5'8" 194 isn't a bad build for a running back. Those are just your Leon Washington, Justin Forestt-types of the world. I think he'd be a perfectly good pick in the 3rd or 4th, but I just don't think he's going to offer enough to justify a higher pick. And I think most people feel that way - that he's a really good college player who's going to have a role in the pros, but isn't going to be a Pro Bowler. The discussion just naturally gravitates towards players whose arc of potential seem to have more pronounced extremes between success and failure.

Big time

LaMike was considered possibly Darren Sproles size.

J

SuperPacker
02-25-2012, 07:45 AM
My rankings at the moment.

1. Rihcardson
2. Polk
3. Martin
4. Lamar Miller

David Wilson is a distant 8th.

norcalgsr
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM

1. Rihcardson
2. Polk
3. Martin
4. Lamar Miller

Polk 2nd is nice. People are seriously underrating him now since after a bad Senior Bowl.

onejayhawk
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM

1. Rihcardson
2. Polk
3. Martin
4. Lamar Miller

Polk 2nd is nice. People are seriously underrating him now since after a bad Senior Bowl.

Wow. Major disagreement.

Polk was exposed at the Senior Bowl, but his play was consistent with the bulk of his season. Take as an example his showing against Baylors weak defense. He is certainly draftable, but 3rd round grade.

Why the hate on Wilson. I understand prefering Miller, but not by a lot.

J

norcalgsr
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Wow. Major disagreement.

Polk was exposed at the Senior Bowl, but his play was consistent with the bulk of his season. Take as an example his showing against Baylors weak defense. He is certainly draftable, but 3rd round grade.

Why the hate on Wilson. I understand prefering Miller, but not by a lot.

J

Polk consistently breaks more tackles than Martin. He also has better cutback ability.

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Polk consistently breaks more tackles than Martin. He also has better cutback ability.

I think I'd have to say both of these things are false, and that's coming from someone who really liked Polk when I first came to know him, but he's failed to impress in some important games, while Doug Martin has excelled. And a lot of that has to do with tackle-breaking ability and cutting. Martin's a bit bigger, more compact and faster version of what Polk offers; they're similar types of players, but while Polk strikes me as a guy you say, "Yeah, he'll help some team out," Martin is a running back I look at and see multiple Pro Bowls given the right circumstances. I'm not sure I've ever pumped up a back as much as Martin.

BamaFalcon59
02-26-2012, 05:57 AM
As a major Hokies fan, I would nonetheless have Wilson behind Martin.

However, people are completely overlooking Wilson's freakish balance and strength for a guy his size. He is not a soft runner. At all. He is also a receiving threat and a good blocker in the backfield.

But his vision is average at best.

onejayhawk
02-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Again, disagree. Polk is a tackle breaker I grant you, but Martin has a big edge in yards after contact. Cut back ability is subjective, so i will not say no, but Martin is clearly better at finding space. Plus, the extra gear is important.

J

Clarkw267
02-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Definitely not a bad time, but not what many were projecting here..

Still see him as a late 2nd early 3rd round guy.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Definitely not a bad time, but not what many were projecting here..

Still see him as a late 2nd early 3rd round guy.

The NFL.com combine page has him at 4.47 which is quite a bit better than 4.55.

EDIT: and they just changed it, updating to 4.55. You must be right, that's the official time.

Clarkw267
02-26-2012, 02:11 PM
The NFL.com combine page has him at 4.47 which is quite a bit better than 4.55.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker?module=HP11_cp

Got 4.55 there.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker?module=HP11_cp

Got 4.55 there.

I got 4.47 from that exact page right before I posted that comment. Maybe a cache issue.

I agree that he's a second round pick though. I don't see much difference between Martin and Mark Ingram as prospects.

I mean, it's not like Martin is slow, there were only 12 running backs at the combine who ran better than 4.55. That's just middle of the pack.

WorldBFree
02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I love Martin as a value draft choice. I think he is a sure starter. My guess is that he will go at the end of round 2 or maybe beginning of round 3.

rickscott
02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I hope the Bengals get him in Rd 2.