PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton talks crap about Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young

soybean
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
This probably isn't thread worthy and is probably already mentioned but in ESPN the magazine their main article is "NEXT" as in who is the next big thing.

I found this part pretty interesting.

The whole issue is racism and about how black quarterbacks are perceived vs. white quarterbacks and then he goes on to say:

But I can’t sit up here and look at it like, oh man, my critics are racist. I blame JaMarcus Russell and to some degree Vince Young. If you have the opportunity to make that kind of money doing something you love to do, why would you screw it up? I’m trying to be a trailblazer. If Baylor’s Robert Griffin decides to come out, I want people to say ‘He can be the next Cam Newton’ instead of ‘He’s gonna be the next JaMarcus Russell.

Brent
12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I like this Cam Newton fellow.

descendency
12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I definitely agree that there is a tendency of a lot of people, even though they are not racists - misinformed more than anything, to compare black athletes to only black athletes as a default.

Most people, when you asked them for a player comparison, equated Cam Newton to Vince Young, because he clearly isn't Michael Vick or JaMarcus Russell and those are the 3 kinds of black QBs you can have. Part of that is because those guys had a dimension to their game that almost no pro white QBs have, the ability to run and actually gain yards.

I do think it's funny that he mentioned VY's name. I wonder how well that's going to sit with VY...

ImBrotherCain
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I definitely agree that there is a tendency of a lot of people, even though they are not racists - misinformed more than anything, to compare black athletes to only black athletes as a default.

Most people, when you asked them for a player comparison, equated Cam Newton to Vince Young, because he clearly isn't Michael Vick or JaMarcus Russell and those are the 3 kinds of black QBs you can have. Part of that is because those guys had a dimension to their game that almost no pro white QBs have, the ability to run and actually gain yards.

I do think it's funny that he mentioned VY's name. I wonder how well that's going to sit with VY...

Or its because its an apt comparison when he was in college.

LonghornsLegend
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I like it, nothing wrong with it at all. Both players he listed were extremely lazy and didn't put football first, not like they weren't talented. Both guys are irrelevant anyway, Vince just doesn't realize it yet.

killxswitch
12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
What can VY say? He was the #3 pick in his draft and now he's a backup.

My comparison for Newton was a more athletic Ben Roethlisberger. I think that was a fairly common comparison at the time.

But people compare players based on race all the time. Not just black players, white players too. Brooks Reed looks like Clay Matthews so that is overwhelmingly the comparison people came up with.

Ness
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
He wasn't really talking crap about them. He's just saying he blames those two guys for the images they made for themselves as black quarterbacks in the NFL. And Newton kind of has a valid point. Russell simply didn't care about his NFL career and Vince Young has had questionable leadership skills.

prock
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Cam Newton can talk **** to either of them all he wants. Cam is the man. He is definitely one of my favorite players in the league.

Jughead10
12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
A black QB, at least most of them, come into the NFL already at a disadvantage. When you have the athleticism of a Vince Young/Cam Newton, you can win in a college with a very simplistic offense. An offense that isn't used in the NFL (unless you're Tim Tebow). Matt Barkley can't run that offense in college and is more prepared because of it.

Da-Phins
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM

He will sulk like he always does when something negative is being said and then go run to his car with a loaded gun for some "poor me" attention.

Ness
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM
A black QB, at least most of them, come into the NFL already at a disadvantage. When you have the athleticism of a Vince Young/Cam Newton, you can win in a college with a very simplistic offense. An offense that isn't used in the NFL (unless you're Tim Tebow). Matt Barkley can't run that offense in college and is more prepared because of it.

I think it's deeper than that though. You see guys like Jimmy Clasuen who apparently ran a pro style offense in college, and he's looked pretty bad thus far in his NFL career. In my opinion it just comes down to gauging players with not only their talent, but their instincts, which practically impossible to do or else teams would probably have a better chance scouting almost any player.

FUNBUNCHER
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Good to know that Cam understands why guys like VY and Russell were failures in the NFL.
Lack of discipline and emotional maturity, on top of a poor work ethic.

One of the things I like best about Cam is off the field he seems like his life is kinda.....boring. For a pro athlete. He's trying to be at every club or be photographed with every hot female celeb.
QBs during the season IMO need to be the home body types to stay focused and away from any drama.

It's lazy to compare colors based on race, but it's not from malice for most of us.

I'm trying to think who you could compare Brooks Reed to as a pro if you forget the hair, and the only non-White LBer with close to his physical dimensions (6'3,260#) in the game today is Woodley/Orakpo.

General Zod
12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I dont have any problem at all with what Cam says here.

ShutDwn
12-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Vince Young had the hype train coming into the league. Most people were all about him. Most people didn't like Cam much and he had controversy all the way through. Cam learned how to take the criticism and Young didn't.

Newton's season will undoubtedly impact how RGIII is graded, even though they aren't that similar.

DraftSavant
12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Cam is a ******* bau5.

Dangermouse
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
He's earned the right to talk crap about those 2.

FUNBUNCHER
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
VY's career at UT was a friggin Texas sized soap opera.
There was even a point when Mack Brown had to convince Young not to quit the football team@@!!

It took VY four years to finally put it together and win a NC.
Cam seems to have matured from his past transgressions, VY is still swimming in his immaturity.

hockey619
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
VY's career at UT was a friggin Texas sized soap opera.
There was even a point when Mack Brown had to convince Young not to quit the football team@@!!

It took VY four years to finally put it together and win a NC.
Cam seems to have matured from his past transgressions, VY is still swimming in his immaturity.

news to me, where did you hear that just curious?

Nalej
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm slowly turning into a Cam Newton groupie.
I'll admit I thought he'd bust and bust hard.

Scouting Fail.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
The thing that a lot of people missed on Cam, and is big reason why I'm guessing he had no problem calling Russell and VY out, is that he has that Michael Jordan/Kobe-level of hating to lose. It kills him to look up at a scoreboard and see his team behind. And it pisses him off more than anything else to see guys playing a sport that don't do everything in their power to stop that from happening.

There's been some backlash to this statement that I don't really get. Bomani Jones called him out for mentioning RG3 when they don't have a lot in common. And while he's right to some extent, it isn't Cam's job to change how the world perceives black quarterbacks. His play can do some of that. But if you want more crossrace comps, guess who has to start that? - The media that is covering the draft in the first place

Miaoww
12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I think it's deeper than that though. You see guys like Jimmy Clasuen who apparently ran a pro style offense in college, and he's looked pretty bad thus far in his NFL career. In my opinion it just comes down to gauging players with not only their talent, but their instincts, which practically impossible to do or else teams would probably have a better chance scouting almost any player.

Clausen was in a different situation to Newton. Olsen, Shockey and Chud have made a MASSIVE difference to the offence. Yes, Newton is amazing too and can do things that Clausen can't - but Jimmy wasn't given a fair shot. He ran a pro style offence in college almost to perfection. That's why he was drafted in the 2nd round - quite simply he wasn't in a pro offence last year and most of that was down to Jeff Davidson being mildly ******** and giving the kid no weapons.

Abaddon
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
I support anyone who publicly bashes Jamarcus Russell. Good on him.

J-Mike88
12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Of course, the same is true of white RBs, WRs, and CBs. Wait, there are no white CBs.

Julian Edlemen is a poor-man's who?
Wes Welker.

Jordy Nelson is a faster Ed McCaffrey.
I've not heard anyone compare Jordy to Andre Johnson, even though both are big and get deep for long TDs, running past guys.

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with what Cam said here either, but he better not play a race card.... dude was selected #1 overall even though many had doubts about him. Rodgers was nit-picked and called not athletic enough for the #1 pick so the athletic Alex Smith went #1, etc.......

Brees was nit-picked because he wasn't tall enough. That's racist too. Wait, that's heightist......

DraftSavant
12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Of course, the same is true of white RBs, WRs, and CBs. Wait, there are no white CBs.

Julian Edlemen is a poor-man's who?
Wes Welker.

Jordy Nelson is a faster Ed McCaffrey.
I've not heard anyone compare Jordy to Andre Johnson, even though both are big and get deep for long TDs, running past guys.

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with what Cam said here either, but he better not play a race card.... dude was selected #1 overall even though many had doubts about him. Rodgers was nit-picked and called not athletic enough for the #1 pick so the athletic Alex Smith went #1, etc.......

Brees was nit-picked because he wasn't tall enough. That's racist too. Wait, that's heightist......

You had me until the bolded part. I know it's only semi-serious, but Jesus Christ.

If I had to do a black/white comparison for Jordy (not JordyzZz), it'd be Amani Toomer.

Raiderz4Life
12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I would totally be ok if he called JaMarcus a fat piece of **** money stealing sizzurp junkie total waste of sperm. Think Cam was too nice.

jsagan77
12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Camazing....

49erNation85
12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
I wish the Gators won't too bitchy. He could of been greater at Florida "sigh"

Sloopy
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
When keeping it real goes right

Brent
12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
it'd be Amani Toomer.
You assume that people even remember him.

Old mother ******.

DraftSavant
12-29-2011, 10:07 PM
You assume that people even remember him.

Old mother ******.

http://shlrm.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/le-sigh.jpg

LonghornsLegend
12-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Reading some of the old segments talking about him pre-draft is a little funny now. Terry Bradshaw saying he would take every other (don't know if it was 1st rd drafted QB's or drafted QB's in general) over Cam was just going way too far in an effort to show your disdain for him. I wasn't the most confident in him either, but those kinda comments make you look like an idiot.

sbh15
12-29-2011, 10:41 PM

he stole a laptop and got caught cheating something like 6 times before they kicked him out... it's not like they didn't try to overlook it

FUNBUNCHER
12-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Jordy Nelson is the white Larry Fitzgerald.
Same size, height and speed. Maybe Fitz has better pure ball skills, but IMO if Jordy was the Packers number 1 WR, he'd have close to 1400 yards receiving and 12+ TDs.

prock
12-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Same size, height and speed. Maybe Fitz has better pure ball skills, but IMO if Jordy was the Packers number 1 WR, he'd have close to 1400 yards receiving and 12+ TDs.

His numbers might reflect quarterback play. Just a thought.

phlysac
12-30-2011, 08:20 AM
His numbers might reflect quarterback play. Just a thought.

It's also just a thought that a portion of Rodgers' success stems from some amazing plays made by his receivers. It's a cyclical relationship.

I'm still drawn to the play (I believe against the Giants, could be wrong) where Nelson stopped on a dime, dove backwards to the ground, caught the ball 3 inches off the turf and rolled across the goal-line. All week following I got to see "experts" repeatedly say "Tremdous back-shoulder throw."

Smooth Criminal
12-30-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't know how criticizing Russell or Young makes you a racist. Both deserve it.

But saying a black QB can't win in the NFL is just dumb.

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
You had me until the bolded part. I know it's only semi-serious, but Jesus Christ.

If I had to do a black/white comparison for Jordy (not JordyzZz), it'd be Amani Toomer.
Amani Toomer? Are you kidding? That's an insult to Nelson.
I agree with the previous comp, Fitzgerald, more than Toomer.

Jordy catches a lot of bombs.... getting behind guys deep. Slow guys don't do that. He has speed.
I know a lot of people can't get that thru their minds simply because he's white, but he is a deep threat, proven time and time again in this league, this year, and in the Super Bowl.

A lot of CB's have gotten a good sight of Nelson's tail lights. But he's also very strong, and pretty tall. He reminds me a bit of Vincent Jackson, although VJ has 2 inched on him.

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 08:38 AM
It's also just a thought that a portion of Rodgers' success stems from some amazing plays made by his receivers. It's a cyclical relationship.

I'm still drawn to the play (I believe against the Giants, could be wrong) where Nelson stopped on a dime, dove backwards to the ground, caught the ball 3 inches off the turf and rolled across the goal-line. All week following I got to see "experts" repeatedly say "Tremdous back-shoulder throw."
Good call.... that was the game at San Diego which I was actually at!

And you're right, it is cyclical.... it takes both the receiver and the QB to make it work. There are some good WRs out there who just have no chance because of bad passing.

But there are some good QBs out there with nobody to throw it to. Or just bad systems.

DraftSavant
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Jordy catches a lot of bombs.... getting behind guys deep. Slow guys don't do that. He has speed.
I know a lot of people can't get that thru their minds simply because he's white, but he is a deep threat, proven time and time again in this league, this year, and in the Super Bowl.

A lot of CB's have gotten a good sight of Nelson's tail lights. But he's also very strong, and pretty tall. He reminds me a bit of Vincent Jackson, although VJ has 2 inched on him.

You must not remember Amani Toomer in his prime. Dude ended his career with 14.2 YPC, and that was while working with trash like Dave Brown, Danny Kannell, and Kerry Collins.

This was Amani Toomer's prime (when they finally ditched Brown/Kannell and got Kerry Collins):
1999: 79/1183/6 (15 YPC)
2000: 78/1094/7 (14 YPC)
2001: 72/1054/5 (14.6 YPC)
2002: 82/1343/8 (16.4 YPC)
2003: 63/1057/5 (16.8 YPC)

What a ******* insult to JordyzZz Nelson. Shame on me.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-30-2011, 11:06 AM

What? Fitz is a top 3 receiver, if Jordy had that ability he would be the number 1 receiver ahead of Jennings and Finley. Stupid post is ******* stupid.

LonghornsLegend
12-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Your going too far. Fitz is a 1st ballot HOFer who has hand eye coordination that rivals all time greats.

Considering who the Cards 2-4 WR's are, TE, QB, how inconsistent the running game was, and how he's double and triple covered week in and out, what do you think his stats look like as the #1 in Arizona this year under those circumstances?

Fitz is about to hit 1300 yards in that scenario. I'd honestly like to think he'd push for 2k yards(as unbelieveable as it sounds) with Aaron Rodgers as his QB and other weapons to key on and spread the field out with. Jordy isn't a bad player, but calling him Fitz is heaping way too much praise upon him. I don't mind the Vincent Jackson comparison because the build and frame is similiar, though I think VJ is more explosive with his jumping and stride but still.

prock
12-30-2011, 11:54 AM

If I hear one more person suggest anything along the lines of Nelson being on the same level, much less equal, I am going to lose my ******* mind.

ShutDwn
12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Where did Cam Newton say anything about Jordy Nelson?

Complex
12-30-2011, 12:10 PM
So Jordy is mix of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/97/lolqueow3.jpg

DraftSavant
12-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Successful troll was successful.

Brent
12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Who is Cam Newton? This is clearly a Jordy Nelson thread. By the way, did you know that he's better than Andre Johnson?

SuperPacker
12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Jordy is better than Andre Johnson.

Ok im joking, but i do think if he was black he would be getting much more praise and no one would be like "woah! You cant compare nelson to andre johnson"

Babylon
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Cam Newton talks too much for a rookie.

Ness
12-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Toomer had a very good career as an NFL receiver. Let's not forget that. And he wasn't playing with Aaron Rodgers. His best quarterback was Kerry Collins. It would be interesting to see how Toomer would fare with someone like Rodgers throwing him the ball...and how Nelson would look if he were on those early Giants teams. Nelson is a better deep threat from what I remember in regards to Toomer though.

FUNBUNCHER
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
What? Fitz is a top 3 receiver, if Jordy had that ability he would be the number 1 receiver ahead of Jennings and Finley. Stupid post is ******* stupid.

Fitz is better. He's proven.
But I don't think what he brings to the game is that much different than Jordy.
Nelson isn't a possession WR, move the chains type guy.

IMO he's a big play, deep threat type player and should be the #1 wideout for the Packers, although there's probably no true #1 in GB because Rodgers does such a great job throwing to the open man.

If you want to put Jordy in the Brandon Marshall/Vjax/Colston group, I don't have a problem with that.

descendency
12-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Sometimes, you need to fail before you can succeed though. Cam was likely too young at UF to be successful long term and getting kicked out of UF may have made him grow up some.

It's sooooooo hard to say that if he was still at Florida, he would have done anything. He may be in jail. (though, probably not as a QB of Florida... lol)

ShutDwn
12-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Cam Newton talks too much for a rookie.

No, he barely said anything. He hated the media after all that predraft bashing, and rightfully so.

I'd say he has earned the right to say something. Besides, you'd love it if he were on your team.

FUNBUNCHER
12-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I'd bet a new quarter that Babylon was being sarcastic.

Saints-Tigers
12-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Jordy is comparable to Fitzgerald and Johnson, yet he's the second option... But in the MVP thread, Rodgers does more with less than any other QB.

prock
12-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Jordy is comparable to Fitzgerald and Johnson, yet he's the second option... But in the MVP thread, Rodgers does more with less than any other QB.

So much Packers trolling.

Ness
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Fitz is better. He's proven.
But I don't think what he brings to the game is that much different than Jordy.
Nelson isn't a possession WR, move the chains type guy.

IMO he's a big play, deep threat type player and should be the #1 wideout for the Packers, although there's probably no true #1 in GB because Rodgers does such a great job throwing to the open man.

If you want to put Jordy in the Brandon Marshall/Vjax/Colston group, I don't have a problem with that.

If you put Nelson on the Cardinals at this time, is he putting up similar statistics like Fitzgerald has now with the likes of Skelton and Kolb throwing him the ball? Always being doubled covered while having no one else being able to take pressure off? There is no Finley or Jennings in the desert. Nelson does a good job getting deep and beating his man, but Fitzgerald has better hands and is better at making catches in double coverage and with the jump ball.

FlyingElvis
12-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I have liked Cam Newton ever since he said he wanted to be an icon and the media went berzerk over it. Somehow that meant he wasn't all about football . . . as though he might just decide that quantum physics is the path he would rather take to attain icon status. lol

I like him even more now that he's willing to speak the truth without being a PC pansy.

Good for you Cam.