PDA

View Full Version : End of the year awards

49ersfan_87
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Besides the nationally accepted awards (eg MVP, OROY), feel free to add in your own awards and who you think should win (eg Coordinator of the year, etc). 1 more week until the regular season is over so i feel most of these awards are locked up...

MVP- Aaron Rodgers. Need i say more?

Runner up: Drew Brees

OPOY- Drew Brees. Usually its the same as the MVP, but Brees has been almost as good as Rodgers, and in any normal year would have taken the MVP award running away. He'll be rewarded for breaking Marino's record with a game to spare.

Runner up: Calvin Johnson. Having an insane season and solidfying his status as a top 3 WR at worst.

DPOY: Jared Allen. Allen is a complete player but more importantly is just a playmaking monster and was on pace to break the sack record earlier in the year. Note- Willis was my first choice but he's missed 4 games, soon to be 5 and that will kill his chances at the award.

Runners up: Jason Pierre-Paul, Demarcus Ware

OROY: Cam Newton. Broken Peyton Manning's rookie passing record with a game to spare. 34 total touchdowns. The guy's a phenom and is making Panther fans say "Andrew who?". Might have the brightest future of any young QB in the NFL.

Runner up: AJ Green.

DROY: Aldon Smith. Needs work on his all-around game, especially coverage. But he wasn't drafted 7th overall to cover TE's, he's asked to pass rush and he's done a great job.

Runner up: Von Miller. 3 weeks ago i would have given the award, but he's slowed down recently. He's more well-rounded than Aldon and just as good a pass rusher but I believe he's injured (wearing a club on his hand) which is contributing to him not making an impact recently. I wouldn't complain if Von won the award though.

Coach of the year: Jim Harbaugh. Took over an underachieving team and has them at 12 wins (most in a decade) in a lockout shortened offseason.

Runner up: Mike McCarthy. Regardless of having Rodgers or not, only losing 1 game in a season is very impressive.

And now, my own awards besides the national ones that are voted on. I won't add descriptions as this post is lengthy enough...

Coordinator of the year: Wade Phillips

Special Teamer of the year: David Akers

Biggest dissapointment: Eagles

Biggest surprise: 49ers/Bengals

Most impactful injury: Peyton Manning/Jay Cutler

Matthew Jones
12-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Most valuable player: Aaron Rodgers

Offensive Player of the Year: Drew Brees

Defensive Player of the Year: DeMarcus Ware

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Cam Newton

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Miller

Coach of the Year: Jim Harbaugh

diabsoule
12-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Damn that's tough to choose the DROY - Aldon Smith and Von Miller are both very deserving of it.

xooberon
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
MVP: Aaron Rodgers

Offensive Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers

Defensive Player of the Year: Justin Smith

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Cam Newton

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Miller

Caulibflower
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
MVP - Aaron Rodgers

Offensive Player of the Year - Drew Brees

Defensive Player of the Year - Kam Chancellor
http://www2.sk-static.com/images/media/img/thumb/20110816-183627-418564.jpg

Offensive Rookie of the Year - Cam Newton

Defensive Rookie of the Year - Aldon Smith

Coach of the Year - Jim Harbaugh

TACKLE
12-29-2011, 03:43 PM
MVP - Aaron Rodgers

He's clearly been the best and most impactful player in the league this year.

OPOY - Drew Brees

Hard to think of anyone else.

DPOY - Terrell Suggs

Really trying not to be biased, but with no clear favorite, I'd go with the guy who has been the best all-around defensive player in the league. There are guys who have more sacks but Sizzle has put in the most complete season of any defensive player. 64 tackles, 13 sacks, league leading 6 forced fumbles, 7 Pass Deflections, 2 INT's not to mention he is easily one of the best 34 OLB vs. the run in the league.

OROY - Cam Newton

Easy choice.

DPOY - Von Miller

Aldon has been very impressive in a situational pass role but he's not even a full time starter. Von is every bit the pass rusher but does a lot more for his defense and has been instrumental to the success of that unit.

Coach - John Harbaugh

Although I do think he benefited a lot from the discipline and physicality Singletary implemented, it's hard to make a case for another coach who got more out of the talent he had. I would of given Kubiak strong consideration had they been able to finish strong despite all the key injuries they've had.

VernonLawson89
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
^ You mean Jim.

Ness
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Willis has only missed three games. I don't count the Rams game because he was actually in the game playing until he got hurt.

And he is slated to play against the Rams this weekend.

Brent
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
What about Comeback Player of the Year?

sbh15
12-29-2011, 11:02 PM

tim tebow!

am i doing it right?

49ersfan_87
12-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Willis has only missed three games. I don't count the Rams game because he was actually in the game playing until he got hurt.

And he is slated to play against the Rams this weekend.

I would count it if he played at least 1 half. He only played some of the 1st quarter which is why i don't count it. Good to hear he will play this weekend though.

Forgot about it. I'd probably say Romo, with Stafford and Steve Smith as runner ups.

TACKLE
12-29-2011, 11:53 PM

Stafford without a doubt.

OSUGiants17
12-30-2011, 12:38 AM
MVP- Rodgers

OPOY- Brees

DPOY- JPP

OROY- Cam

DROY- Vonn Miller

Coach- Jim Harbaugh

Comeback- Stafford
Runner Ups- Victor Cruz, Steve Smith and Romo

Breakout Player- Victor Cruz

Mufasa
12-30-2011, 12:55 AM
How the hell is Victor Cruz your runner up for comeback player of the year. He didn't have a single catch until this season.

BaLLiN
12-30-2011, 12:59 AM
How the hell is Victor Cruz your runner up for comeback player of the year. He didn't have a single catch until this season.

IR'ed last season

ChiFan24
12-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Someone needs to explain to me how Brees should be the OPOTY if Rodgers wins the MVP, besides feeling sorry for Brees.

whatadai
12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
MVP: Tim Tebow

Coach of the year: God

Coordinator of the year: Jesus Christ

BloodBrother
12-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Someone needs to explain to me how Brees should be the OPOTY if Rodgers wins the MVP, besides feeling sorry for Brees.

mainly because of the yardage record, I'd say.

A Perfect Score
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
MVP - Aaron Rodgers

He's clearly been the best and most impactful player in the league this year.

OPOY - Drew Brees

Hard to think of anyone else.

DPOY - Terrell Suggs

Really trying not to be biased, but with no clear favorite, I'd go with the guy who has been the best all-around defensive player in the league. There are guys who have more sacks but Sizzle has put in the most complete season of any defensive player. 64 tackles, 13 sacks, league leading 6 forced fumbles, 7 Pass Deflections, 2 INT's not to mention he is easily one of the best 34 OLB vs. the run in the league.

OROY - Cam Newton

Easy choice.

DPOY - Von Miller

Aldon has been very impressive in a situational pass role but he's not even a full time starter. Von is every bit the pass rusher but does a lot more for his defense and has been instrumental to the success of that unit.

Coach - John Harbaugh

Although I do think he benefited a lot from the discipline and physicality Singletary implemented, it's hard to make a case for another coach who got more out of the talent he had. I would of given Kubiak strong consideration had they been able to finish strong despite all the key injuries they've had.

This is what mine would look like as well, across the board. Stafford for CBPOTY.

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Damn that's tough to choose the DROY - Aldon Smith and Von Miller are both very deserving of it.
Good call... I go with Smith over Miller for the way they've finished the year.

killxswitch
12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
MVP - Aaron Rogers - Just an amazing season from him. His rating, TD:INT numbers, completion percentage, all of it. Amazing.

OPoY - Drew Brees - You could say Aaron Rogers but traditionally I think of this award as the consolation prize for the outstanding offensive player that wasn't as critical for the success of his team as the MVP. There are some years when it has to overwhelmingly be the same person (like 2007 Brady or 2004 Manning) but Brees had numbers that in most years would make him the MVP. He deserves this.

DPoY - Jared Allen - ridiculous tackle numbers for a lineman, especially one with so many sacks. Suggs is my 2nd choice but Allen's performance this year shines a little brighter IMO.

ORoY - Cam Newton - remember when people thought Andy Dalton was more deserving?

DRoY - I want to say Aldon Smith because Von Miller's faux nerd thing is annoying. But I see Miller as the more complete player, with all of Smith's strengths but fewer weaknesses.

Coach - Jim Harbaugh - I don't know how you can pick anybody else. The 49ers went from a bottom 5 or 10 team to one of the elite NFL teams with very few roster changes. They are better because Jim Harbaugh and his staff made them better. McCarthy might've gotten some talk if the Pack had gone undefeated but even then that would be more of a "feel like we have to" thing.

CPoY - Matthew Stafford. He should be in the Pro Bowl. Having a great season after being hurt so much in the past.

Brothgar
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
MVP: Drew Breesus - When A-Rod was looking into 16-0 he was the shoe in candidate for MVP but now the Pack has a loss and what really could be two after this week with the Pack potentially resting starters this week. Brees has broken a record that has lasted the test of time. Breaking Dan's record is a personal achievement much more than a 15-1 record which is more of team achievement. This is why I'm going to be different and give Drew the MVP.

OPOY - Calvin Johnson - He won't win it but he's had an amazing season. I personally don't want the MVP and OPOY to become simply two QB awards so I reserve OPOY for non QBs.

DPOY - D-Ware

OROY - CAM - The only one who is close is AJ Green

DROY - Aldon Smith - Miller is a very close second but I can't really tell if having Doom on the same team helps or hurts Miller's production.

Giantsfan1080
12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
2 people are breaking Marino's record this year though so it sort of takes the luster off of it and the Brees for MVP candidacy. It's Rodgers all the way and 1 loss is better than the 3 Brees has.

jth1331
12-30-2011, 10:10 AM
DROY - Aldon Smith - Miller is a very close second but I can't really tell if having Doom on the same team helps or hurts Miller's production.

And what about having Willis, Bowman, Smith, etc. for Aldon?
Come on man.

Von Miller is the more complete player who is playing injured and missed a game.

VernonLawson89
12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
If Aldon breaks Jevon Kearse's rookie sack record (he needs 1 more) against the Rams, i say he deserves DROY.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
MVP/OPOY- Aaron Rodgers
DPOY- T-sizzle
OROY- $cam Newton
DROY- Von Miller
CBPOY- Matthew Stafford
Coach of the year- 49ers Harbaugh

TACKLE
01-02-2012, 12:42 AM
70 tackles, 14 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, 2 INT's, 8 pass deflections.

It would be hard for me to be upset if Jared Allen won DPOY with his dominance as a pass rusher this year. But no player in the league has put in a more complete defensive performance this season than Mr. Terrell Suggs. Allen's sack numbers are incredible and finishing the way he did is big though Sizzle does benefit from shining against top competition on national stages. As far as I'm concerned, it's a two-horse race and it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

DBNYDP
01-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Easily the highest QBR in the league. Led his team to a near perfect game season with a terrible defense and no running game.

Honorable Mentions: Drew Brees/Tom Brady

OPOY: Calvin Johnson
Just an absolute monster. I wanted to give the award to someone other than a QB because I just think that is too easy this year, but Calvin Johnson absolutely dominated this year. His impact was huge for the Lions, and I think he made a strong argument as to why he is the best receiver in the league.

Honorable Mentions: Ray Rice/Rob Gronkowski/Darren Sproles

DPOY: Terrell Suggs
What Jared Allen did this year was truly special, and Allen is about as complete of a DE as you'll find, and an incredible player. But that being said, Suggs impacted the game on so many fronts from being a pass rusher, dropping into coverage, and stopping the run. He was a complete defensive player and the part that made me lean towards Suggs was that Suggs did it in big games where teams focused on stopping him. That sort of clutch factor pushed him over the top, but this was really close.

Honorable Mentions: Jared Allen

OROY: Cameron Newton
Had a total of 34 touchdowns and set the rookie passing yards record.

Honorable Mentions: Andy Dalton/AJ Green

DROY: Von Miller
Von Miller has definitely fallen off the past few games due to his cast, and Aldon Smith definitely played great this year, especially the last few games. That being said...Von Miller was a more complete player than Aldon Smith and was huge against the run/a stud in coverage too. Aldon Smith was sort of one dimensional which hurts his chances.

Honorable Mention: Aldon Smith

Comeback Player of the Year: Matthew Stafford
Came back to have an incredible year and a year that isn't getting enough attention only because there were a couple of other insane passers this year as well. I think he took a huge step this year and has to be talked about as an elite NFL QB. Great year after his struggles last year with injuries.

Honorable Mentions: Willis McGahee/Victor Cruz

He took a bad team and made them very good without even a proper offseason.

Honorable Mentions: Mike McCarthy/Marvin Lewis/John Fox

Saints-Tigers
01-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Would be epic for the Ravens to have 3 DPOYs on their squad... and that wouldn't include their best player!

nepg
01-02-2012, 05:38 AM
OPY: Drew Brees
DPY: Jared Allen
ORY: Cam Newton
DRY: Aldon Smith
CPY: Matthew Stafford
CoY: John Fox

SuperPacker
01-02-2012, 08:28 AM
OPY: Calvin Johnson
DPY: Jared Allen
ORY: Cam Newton
DRY: Von Miller
CPY: Matthew Stafford
CoY: Jim Harbaugh

Notice that only one player from the AFC and the rest from the NFC.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
01-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't see how Von Miller can beat out Aldon Smith for Defensive Rookie of the Year. What you do in the last quarter of the season is infinitely more important than what you do in the first quarter.

And then Von gets benched in the final game with the playoffs potentially on the line? No.

Larry
01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
he really got benched?

Mufasa
01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Why does almost everyone have a different OPOY than MVP? If you believe that Rodgers/Brees is MVP you should also think that he was the best offensive player. This isn't a case like 2009 where Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards but didn't make the playoffs. Both Rodgers and Brees had amazing offensive production and they each won their division. If you think one is worthy of the MVP they should also take OPOY. It's not a consolation prize for who didn't win.

SuperPacker
01-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't see how Von Miller can beat out Aldon Smith for Defensive Rookie of the Year. What you do in the last quarter of the season is infinitely more important than what you do in the first quarter.

And then Von gets benched in the final game with the playoffs potentially on the line? No.

All Aldon Smith does is rush the passer. He is simply a situational player but Von Miller is in on every play either getting sacks or standing in coverage. Hea more of the complete player.

SuperPacker
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Why does almost everyone have a different OPOY than MVP? If you believe that Rodgers/Brees is MVP you should also think that he was the best offensive player. This isn't a case like 2009 where Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards but didn't make the playoffs. Both Rodgers and Brees had amazing offensive production and they each won their division. If you think one is worthy of the MVP they should also take OPOY. It's not a consolation prize for who didn't win.

I see OPoY more of a receiver/running back award and the MVP is more for the quarterback. I dont know what happend last year though. Who was the OPoY?