PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Gameday Thread: Week 17: 49ers at Rams

Borat
12-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Week 17:
Sunday, January 1, 2012

http://dixiewitch.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wpid-San-Francisco-49ers-vs-St-Louis-Rams.jpg

San Francisco 49ers (12-3)
at
St. Louis Rams (2-13)

Time: 10:00 am pst

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/nfc/images/edjones08951main.jpg

Must win. We all know what's at stake. Going 13-3 and getting a first round bye would cap an amazing regular season. Of course, if we beat their ass, they may end up getting this
http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/andrew-luck.jpg

which is kind of funny considering this
http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Sam-Bradford1.jpg
Will miss the game with a bum ankle.

Or they could trade the pick and be remembered as the team that passed on Luck. Have fun with that.

This game just scares me. It should be a rout, something like 26-0. Pure guess. But it will probably be much closer this time. Something like 24-0.

http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rams_ump-tackles-player.jpg
A thousand words.

http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/SF/photos/clubimages/2011/12-December/18AldonSack--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg
1 more sack and he sets the rookie record. Badass. I want this record.

So, ummmm, none of this?http://www.csnbayarea.com/sportsnetBayArea/search/thumbnails/cached_media/0006/0006436/0006436349/images/thumb.jpg
Curious timing to cut Braylon. Must be some locker room drama or something distraction related to cut him at this point. Also, I didn't use a game picture because I'm not sure he ever played in a game.

Dear Brett Swain ...
http://www.news10.net/images/640/360/2/assetpool/images/111229065422_brett_swain640.jpg
... I hope you don't suck
Sincerely,
Everyone.

Whatever. Just win this ******* game convincingly.

Standings:

1. San Francisco 49ers (12-3)
2. Arizona Cardinals (7-8)
2. Seattle Seahawks (7-8)
4. St. Louis Rams (2-13)

Special Note:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwqkp1I18h1qf6hb4o1_400.gif

Special Note II: My latest creation
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n247/sabufoo/LarryGrant-Skittlethief.jpg

phlysac
12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
I know that there is excitement that Patrick Willis looks ready to go. I don't want him to play. Win without him, give him this + two more weeks before he has to play. Can never be too safe. Look at the problems guys like LaMarr Woodley have had trying to play on these hammies.

Madirishman
12-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah, maybe they give Willis a couple series to knock off any potential rust he may have. It's a potential double-edged sword but if he plays in this game, I think it's cause he's healthy. If he has lingering issues, I just don't see them risking it. Besides, who wouldn't mind a little more of Larry Grant beating the crap out of his old team? My prediction: 30-6 Niners.

Ness
12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
This game has me kind of nervous. I'll be watching at home of course. We haven't lost a game every time I've watched the game at home. In the three losses I was away from my house. I was going to go out to a bar or something, but since something important is on the line for this game I'm staying glued to my seat. 49ers should roll though regardless of my superstitious attitude. It would be nice to close out the season with our best record since 1997.

Brent
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Here's hoping that Gore and Willis aren't needed until that playoff game!

Rabscuttle
12-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Grant has done well filling in for Willis, but the difference between the two really showed up last week. Risking Willis being out there for the playoffs isn't worth it if there are any questions about reinjury.

And something has to be done to get Gore on track. I suggest PCP.

49erNation85
12-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Hell just let CK start this game. I'm sure he would put up more numbers then Smith ha.

dan77733
12-30-2011, 10:47 PM
This game has me kind of nervous. I'll be watching at home of course. We haven't lost a game every time I've watched the game at home. In the three losses I was away from my house. I was going to go out to a bar or something, but since something important is on the line for this game I'm staying glued to my seat. 49ers should roll though regardless of my superstitious attitude. It would be nice to close out the season with our best record since 1997.

Seriously??? If so, come playoff time, you better stay the hell home or the rest of us will come get you if the Niners lose. LOL.

Ness
01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
49ers have already missed a field goal. Great opening drive.

Ness
01-01-2012, 12:15 PM
And now Rams are in scoring range.

Ness
01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow you're going to let Kellen Celemens run for a eighteen yard touchdown?

So much for this run defense. God I'm ashamed. 49ers are going to lose against the Rams.

binary
01-01-2012, 12:19 PM
MELTDOWN?? NOW??? wow.

Ness
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Not surprising. This team's offense is God awful.

binary
01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Alex saved us there....we should just forcefeed Crabtree, he's the only guy I have faith in getting open.

Borat
01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Thank you Spagnuola. LOL.

Crabtree came to play!

binary
01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Crabtree is taking over, just give him the ball he's our only legit receiver right now.

binary
01-01-2012, 01:30 PM
We might be in the clear now (don't want to jinx it).

Ness
01-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Panthers aren't doing any favors for us. And Willis looks rusty.

Rabscuttle
01-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Think of what the margin of victory would be like for the Niners if the offence could execute?

First in giveaways, takeaways, turnover margin and starting field position should result in an assload of points.

VAfy-ya
01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
C'mon.....stop looking at the clock and play freakin ball, smdh

Ness
01-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Finally. The number two seed is clinched. But this was a terrible win. The 49ers almost allowed the Rams to beat them. This is one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen I hate to say, maybe worse than the 2008 Titans and the 2001 Bears. God-awful quarterback play will get you roasted in the playoffs like what happened to those teams. Alex Smith needs to be let go and the franchise needs to get someone else in either a trade or draft another quarterback. Smith's performances this season won't get it done in the long run. Just a disgrace. Not sold on Kaepernick either. Don't have time for a project. Get Matt Flynn in here or draft another quarterback in the later rounds with the opportunity to start.

binary
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Well guys, we got the bye, not the greatest ending but what a SEASON. Great defense, solid QB play, solid running game, this team is looking pretty well-rounded. There is just SO MUCH to build on, I expect the Offense to improve by quite a bit next year, and hopefully in the playoffs. WR needs to be a priority though.

The two things that concern me most are the WRs and Frank Gore. Gore looks slow out there, especially compared to Hunter. If all we have is VD and Crabtree, we are screwed. The rams were just doubling those two and knew that no one else could get open.

Ness
01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Well guys, we got the bye, not the greatest ending but what a SEASON. Great defense, solid QB play, solid running game, this team is looking pretty well-rounded. There is just SO MUCH to build on, I expect the Offense to improve by quite a bit next year, and hopefully in the playoffs. WR needs to be a priority though.

The two things that concern me most are the WRs and Frank Gore. Gore looks slow out there, especially compared to Hunter. If all we have is VD and Crabtree, we are screwed. The rams were just doubling those two and knew that no one else could get open.

Just stop it.

binary
01-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Just stop it.

lol, stop being emo. Alex has had a very solid season, and you know it. I know you hate him and you personal bias gets in the way, but deep down you know it and so do most fans. I'm not gonna argue about Alex with an overly emotional fan though, it's a waste of time. This season has been too much fun, with too many positives including solid QB play. Have fun celebrating (or whining) about being 13-3!!! CONGRATS.

VAfy-ya
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM

We'll, considering we were without the services of Ginn and Williams, I'm not overly concerned. Both will be back for the first playoff game so its a moot point. Defense could have played better but we rested to some guys in the second half and it almost bite us in the ass. But we won and that's all that really matters at this point.

The team is what it is. We are the Falcons from last year, but with a better defense. We're a ball-control offense that needs to play mistake-free to win. Considering where we were this time last year, I'll take that in a heartbeat. But this team is just in the beggining stages. Im egaer to see what Baalke has in store this off-season for improvements. I don't think ppl understand just how remarkable a turnaround this year was. We had ZERO prep time to install our sytems and get our players familar with the little intricate details of both schemes. Obviously it was a little easier defensively, sticking with the 3-4 but offensively, the switch to the WCO is not something to be taken lightly. We were basically learning on the fly. Imagine how we'll look with a complete off-season to install the entire playbook. To tweak certain elements in the offense to fit our personel better. To add players who fit the scheme better, now that we have actually game-film of our offense and defense and where we need to see improvement. We're just getting started. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, I'm VERY excited about the future. Im going to love sitting back and watching Baalke and Harbaugh develop this team into a yearly contender. Stop and smell the roses ppl.....

binary
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
We'll, considering we were without the services of Ginn and Williams, I'm not overly concerned. Both will be back for the first playoff game so its a moot point. Defense could have played better but we rested to some guys in the second half and it almost bite us in the ass. But we won and that's all that really matters at this point.

The team is what it is. We are the Falcons from last year, but with a better defense. We're a ball-control offense that needs to play mistake-free to win. Considering where we were this time last year, I'll take that in a heartbeat. But this team is just in the beggining stages. Im egaer to see what Baalke has in store this off-season for improvements. I don't think ppl understand just how remarkable a turnaround this year was. We had ZERO prep time to install our sytems and get our players familar with the little intricate details of both schemes. Obviously it was a little easier defensively, sticking with the 3-4 but offensively, the switch to the WCO is not something to be taken lightly. We were basically learning on the fly. Imagine how we'll look with a complete off-season to install the entire playbook. To tweak certain elements in the offense to fit our personel better. To add players who fit the scheme better, now that we have actually game-film of our offense and defense and where we need to see improvement. We're just getting started. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, I'm VERY excited about the future. Im going to love sitting back and watching Baalke and Harbaugh develop this team into a yearly contender. Stop and smell the roses ppl.....

Agreed with everything, it feels good.

Good to see both vD and Crabs get 100 yrd games too. Crabs is so legit.

ninerfan
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Finally. The number two seed is clinched. But this was a terrible win. The 49ers almost allowed the Rams to beat them. This is one of the worst 13-3 teams I've ever seen I hate to say, maybe worse than the 2008 Titans and the 2001 Bears. God-awful quarterback play will get you roasted in the playoffs like what happened to those teams. Alex Smith needs to be let go and the franchise needs to get someone else in either a trade or draft another quarterback. Smith's performances this season won't get it done in the long run. Just a disgrace. Not sold on Kaepernick either. Don't have time for a project. Get Matt Flynn in here or draft another quarterback in the later rounds with the opportunity to start.

Haters gonna hate

Madirishman
01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Not the greatest win but a win is what they needed. The Niners weren't handed anything and EARNED their place in the playoffs with a bye. Just because the team has flaws doesn't mean we all can't enjoy their run. I'm hoping for the best (we've all been conditioned for the worst in recent years) so we should all be appreciative for what they've accomplished and enjoy where this run takes them. Anything can happen and their D is Championship Caliber. We'll have plenty of time to discuss how they can strengthen the team in the offseason but let's (for once in years) enjoy what they're going to do in the playoffs.

hawkeye123
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM

We could win the super bowl and you would still find something to complain about.

ninerfan
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Who will we likely play in the 2nd week?

Ness
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Haters gonna hate

Cool story bro.

Ness
01-01-2012, 07:12 PM
lol, stop being emo. Alex has had a very solid season, and you know it. I know you hate him and you personal bias gets in the way, but deep down you know it and so do most fans. I'm not gonna argue about Alex with an overly emotional fan though, it's a waste of time. This season has been too much fun, with too many positives including solid QB play. Have fun celebrating (or whining) about being 13-3!!! CONGRATS.

He's had an average season by today's standards. Maybe if this was ten seasons ago it would be viewed as solid.

Ness
01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
We could win the super bowl and you would still find something to complain about.

No. Winning the Super Bowl would be the end of the tunnel. What would I have to worry about? The playoffs haven't started yet, so there is reason to be concerned with average to terrible quarterback play.

VAfy-ya
01-01-2012, 07:37 PM
No. Winning the Super Bowl would be the end of the tunnel. What would I have to worry about? The playoffs haven't started yet, so there is reason to be concerned with average to terrible quarterback play.

Alex hasn't played terrible all year. That's just hyperpole at its finest. He's had his moments of inaccuarcy but nowhere has he been downright terrible. We were short-handed at WR and Gore played about 20 snaps and we still put up 34 points. We nearly had two receivers with over a 100 yards receiving. Alex wasn't the problem today, it was the defense, particularly our pass defense. How they let a QB scramble for a 18 yard TD run whose last name is not Vick, Newton, or Tebow is beyond me. Execution and attention to detail must be shored-up leading up to the 14th.

Ness
01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Alex hasn't played terrible all year. That's just hyperpole at its finest. He's had his moments of inaccuarcy but nowhere has he been downright terrible. We were short-handed at WR and Gore played about 20 snaps and we still put up 34 points. We nearly had two receivers with over a 100 yards receiving. Alex wasn't the problem today, it was the defense, particularly our pass defense. How they let a QB scramble for a 18 yard TD run whose last name is not Vick, Newton, or Tebow is beyond me. Execution and attention to detail must be shored-up leading up to the 14th.

You look at the top teams executing on third down. All of those are pretty much franchise quarterbacks. Executing on third down pretty much goes hand in hand with how good your starter is. The worst teams in the NFL usually have the worst quarterbacks. Or at least very average ones, which is what Smith is.

Unfortunately I already know he's going to be here next season. And I don't think he gets a nice deal at the end of this year. Maybe he gets franchised? I think Alex would have to settle for that. I doubt he takes his chances learning another system on another team. 49ers have all of the leverage here. The best Alex can do is not lead the league in sacks like he did this year, and convert a respectable amount of third downs with this throws. He's really fortunate he plays on a team with a good defense and good special teams. Because if he was on a team like the New York Giants he probably would have been benched by now.

abaddon41_80
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
The running game and the defense sucked today. Alex and the passing game were the only reason we won the game.

Brent
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I am not going to get worried after this game. I think back to the Steelers game, they showed up focused and ready to ball, I think having home field (save playing the Packers) will be great for the team.

VAfy-ya
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Again Ness, its not ALL on Alex. Have you seen our 3rd down play-calling? Have you seen the drop passes on 3rd down? Did you forget our O-Line's inability to pick-up a blitz for most of the season? No one more is more critical of Alex improving than me but you can't just tell the one side of the story the benefits your arguement. Yes, 3rd down is a huge problem going foward but that's a problem for the offense as a whole. Alex, Jimbaugh, Roman, O-Line, receivers all have to step up their game. Its a offensive problem, not a QB problem. My biggest gripe with our 3rd down conversion has been play-calling. It has not been aggressive and Im sick of seeing us in the shotgun on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2. The defense already knows what's coming. Those should be instances where you put 2 RBs behind Alex and you make the defense wonder whether its a pass or run. We should be running for a few of those. We tip our hand far too much on 3rd and managable for me. And we dont utilized the FB enough. Miller is good pass-catcher. Rathman was notorious for catching passes out of the backfield to move the chains back in the Walsh days. 2 RBs allow you to see more base defense, which should be a LB on a guy like Miller or Gore. Match-ups we should win.

Ness
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Again Ness, its not ALL on Alex. Have you seen our 3rd down play-calling? Have you seen the drop passes on 3rd down? Did you forget our O-Line's inability to pick-up a blitz for most of the season? No one more is more critical of Alex improving than me but you can't just tell the one side of the story the benefits your arguement. Yes, 3rd down is a huge problem going foward but that's a problem for the offense as a whole. Alex, Jimbaugh, Roman, O-Line, receivers all have to step up their game. Its a offensive problem, not a QB problem. My biggest gripe with our 3rd down conversion has been play-calling. It has not been aggressive and Im sick of seeing us in the shotgun on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2. The defense already knows what's coming. Those should be instances where you put 2 RBs behind Alex and you make the defense wonder whether its a pass or run. We should be running for a few of those. We tip our hand far too much on 3rd and managable for me. And we dont utilized the FB enough. Miller is good pass-catcher. Rathman was notorious for catching passes out of the backfield to move the chains back in the Walsh days. 2 RBs allow you to see more base defense, which should be a LB on a guy like Miller or Gore. Match-ups we should win.
Did you ever think that it's Alex that needs to be replaced? I'm willing to bet you if we had someone like Matt Ryan at the very least those problems you are talking about either go away or aren't that big of an issue due to better pocket presence, and better accuracy on throws made. You can use all of those excuses for all of the quarterbacks that are rated low in third down efficiency. Sorry, but he needs to be replaced. He can't carry this team on his back consistently and he's not winning a shootout against Brees or Rodgers.

dan77733
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Personally, I want to see Smith re-signed because changing QB's will be the same thing as changing OC's like we've done the last six years with him. Smith played good today, didnt make any mistakes and didnt turn the ball over. Game was over at 34-13. Rams scored two garbage TD's. Big deal.

Willis shouldnt have played though. I would have started Grant instead and I was pissed that Bowman got that sack. I thought it was Aldon. :(

And Ness, you need to relax. Its amazing how you always blame Smith but no one else. And if you dont see the HUGE improvement in Smith this year compared to his last six years, then you quite simply for whatever reason, just hate the guy, period. Give the guy a chance.

And stop comparing us to the Saints/Packers because neither of those teams are perfect, in fact, far from it and both can be beat by us. I even think the Lions can beat the Saints in NO because the Lions can score points just like they do.

I'm not even worried about who we play. Im just happy we finally got back into the playoffs and have an HC, OC and DC who'll hopefully be around for years and build this team up to be a consistent year in and year out division winner like we used to be.

Enjoy the bye week everyone. I know I will (especially if Falcons and Lions win). :)

Ness
01-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Personally, I want to see Smith re-signed because changing QB's will be the same thing as changing OC's like we've done the last six years with him. Smith played good today, didnt make any mistakes and didnt turn the ball over. Game was over at 34-13. Rams scored two garbage TD's. Big deal.

Willis shouldnt have played though. I would have started Grant instead and I was pissed that Bowman got that sack. I thought it was Aldon. :(

And Ness, you need to relax. Its amazing how you always blame Smith but no one else. And if you dont see the HUGE improvement in Smith this year compared to his last six years, then you quite simply for whatever reason, just hate the guy, period. Give the guy a chance.

And stop comparing us to the Saints/Packers because neither of those teams are perfect, in fact, far from it and both can be beat by us. I even think the Lions can beat the Saints in NO because the Lions can score points just like they do.

I'm not even worried about who we play. Im just happy we finally got back into the playoffs and have an HC, OC and DC who'll hopefully be around for years and build this team up to be a consistent year in and year out division winner like we used to be.

Enjoy the bye week everyone. I know I will (especially if Falcons and Lions win). :)

Well Alex deserves another year. I don't think he gets better to the point that he's the answer that we are looking for at quarterback though. After next season if he doesn't improve, we need to look for his replacement. Let Kaepernick get an opportunity or find someone else. Just look at the teams that have won the Super Bowl. The majority of them have quarterback that have the potential to dominate a game. I'm talking 350 yard/4 touchdown performance. Someone that plays well for four entire quarters. Don't see that from Smith. And the guy has had his chances. Seven years he has been a 49er. He'll get next year based on his performance in 2011. Not expecting much more than what we have seen this year though. Until Smith shows he can dominate a game and crush an opposing team without every single thing working for him (line not playing PERFECT for him to succeed, receivers not playing PERFECT for him to succeed) then I'll always doubt his abilities as a starting quarterback.

It's a passing league and the rules favor the offense Dan. That's why everyone thinks the championship game will be between the Saints and Packers because they have Brees and Rodgers.

Ness
01-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Did you folks see Jim Harbaugh's entire press conference? Seemed like an asshole.

Harbaugh has worked miracles here, and I know he's not out to make friends, but I don't think it's a little much to ask that you just "play the game" with the media. Harbaugh is going to have to do this for a long time. Might as well get used to it. I probably wouldn't like the media either, but acting like a douchebag isn't going to help.

Menardo75
01-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Just let Ness ***** and complain his choice if he doesn't want to enjoy success.

Ness
01-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Just let Ness ***** and complain his choice if he doesn't want to enjoy success.

LMFAO. Yeah excuse me for being the only one that sees the huge facade in the offense. Not like it matters or anything. Game managing offenses always win the Super Bowl. Oh wait...

VAfy-ya
01-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Did you folks see Jim Harbaugh's entire press conference? Seemed like an asshole.

Harbaugh has worked miracles here, and I know he's not out to make friends, but I don't think it's a little much to ask that you just "play the game" with the media. Harbaugh is going to have to do this for a long time. Might as well get used to it. I probably wouldn't like the media either, but acting like a douchebag isn't going to help.

Who gives a flying **** what Jimbaugh does in press conferences? Have you seen Bilichick in his post game press conferences? He sounds like its the most painful 20 minutes of his life. No emotion, very ******-like respones to media questions. Hasn't stopped him from winning Super Bowls. Jimbaugh can deal with the media however he likes, I could care less. He still has football left to coach and he's focused on the task at hand. He can be all lovey dovey with the beat writers in the off-season, screw them and their feelings.

VAfy-ya
01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
LMFAO. Yeah excuse me for being the only one that sees the huge facade in the offense. Not like it matters or anything. Game managing offenses always win the Super Bowl. Oh wait...

Its the fact that you would rather point out the negatives than focus on the positives. We ALL know Alex's limitations. We not in here complaining about it every other day like you. I love when fans use realism as a excuse to for their slanted persepctive. I'm just keeping it real. No, your just keeping it one-sided. We know Alex is flawed. I've been critical of Alex in when his play has called for it. But I still like our chances in the playoffs, even with a flawed Alex Smith as our QB. Its apparent you can't wait for us to lose to the Saints or Green Bay so you can run in here and let us know how right you were, and that Alex sucks. Its like your waiting for us to fail instead of rooting for us to succeed......you know, what fans generally do in these circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense that even if we beat both Green Bay and NO, you would still be convinced Alex is garbage and is the one holding this team back. That we won, despite Alex.

Ness
01-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Who gives a flying **** what Jimbaugh does in press conferences? Have you seen Bilichick in his post game press conferences? He sounds like its the most painful 20 minutes of his life. No emotion, very ******-like respones to media questions. Hasn't stopped him from winning Super Bowls. Jimbaugh can deal with the media however he likes, I could care less. He still has football left to coach and he's focused on the task at hand. He can be all lovey dovey with the beat writers in the off-season, screw them and their feelings.

Difference is Belichick doesn't get emotionally pissed off because a writer says something in a press conference. Belichick really comes off as if whatever is said, he could care less. Harbaugh looks like he takes it personally.

You are right, it's all about results. And Harbaugh is getting them. But we've seen what happens with a guy like Singletary who can't keep his cool. The good thing is that Jim knows X's and O's and has a great staff. And long as he keeps winning, it's fine though.

Ness
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Its the fact that you would rather point out the negatives than focus on the positives. We ALL know Alex's limitations. We not in here complaining about it every other day like you. I love when fans use realism as a excuse to for their slanted persepctive. I'm just keeping it real. No, your just keeping it one-sided. We know Alex is flawed. I've been critical of Alex in when his play has called for it. But I still like our chances in the playoffs, even with a flawed Alex Smith as our QB. Its apparent you can't wait for us to lose to the Saints or Green Bay so you can run in here and let us know how right you were, and that Alex sucks. Its like your waiting for us to fail instead of rooting for us to succeed......you know, what fans generally do in these circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense that even if we beat both Green Bay and NO, you would still be convinced Alex is garbage and is the one holding this team back. That we won, despite Alex.

Hey I've already said that I hope Alex makes me look like a dumbass. I said this last week. I don't care about losing face. I want to win. Which is why I complain about our offensive woes. Your right, if the 49ers lose and Alex has a good amount to do with that, I will come in here and rant that he needs to be replaced. If they quite frankly, shock the world, then I'll admit I was an idiot and should shut up. I'll give any guy his due if he proves it. I'd rather win than be right on a message board.

I'm looking at the negatives on the offense, because there are more negatives than positives.

phlysac
01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I'll give any guy his due if he proves it. I'd rather win than be right on a message board.

But that's the thing, you've predicted the 49ers to lose nearly every single game this season. You say you'd "rather win."... Well 13-3 and you're still saying the same things as you did last year. Obviously it's not winning that will make you happy.

VAfy-ya
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Difference is Belichick doesn't get emotionally pissed off because a writer says something in a press conference. Belichick really comes off as if whatever is said, he could care less. Harbaugh looks like he takes it personally.

You are right, it's all about results. And Harbaugh is getting them. But we've seen what happens with a guy like Singletary who can't keep his cool. The good thing is that Jim knows X's and O's and has a great staff. And long as he keeps winning, it's fine though.

Go read Jimbaugh's presser from today. Read any of his pressers.....there is a theme. The thing that jumps out in his pressers is that Jimbaugh says only nice things about his players to the press. The beat writers were looking for who to blame for the things that didnít work as planned and Jimbaugh wasnít haven't it. Instead he completely redirected the conversation to praise people (like Lee, Akers, T. Brown, etc.) that the reporters didnít want to talk about. When the door is closed and the press isnít there Jimbaugh can call you out and tell you that you screwed up. But he makes sure when your mom, dad, aunts, or your kids are going to read it in the paper at breakfast, he says you are a hero. That is pure genius on his part and something so little but probably earns so much respect from his players. Damn right he takes it personal. Because he's all about protecting his guys while most of the media is in the job of trying to find the next bit of turmoil or negativity. Kudos to him for having none of it.

Rabscuttle
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM

He's just channelling his inner Bill Walsh. There's probably some Youtube vids up of classic Walsh tearing into douchebag reporters (probably a few of the same ones Harbaugh is taking issues with) if you want some consolation.

Ness
01-03-2012, 12:35 AM
But that's the thing, you've predicted the 49ers to lose nearly every single game this season. You say you'd "rather win."... Well 13-3 and you're still saying the same things as you did last year. Obviously it's not winning that will make you happy.

I predicated the 49ers to win last week and the week before that. And against the Steelers if I remember correctly. And I've stayed home and watched the game on my computer 13 times this year. Every time I've gone out, we've lost. I'm normally not into superstitions, but I'll be home watching every potential game for the 49ers in the playoffs.

13-3 is a great accomplishment sure. I've had fun this season for the most part. I haven't enjoyed our offense play as much as our defense though. I've just seen plenty of 13-3 teams (or around that record) with our kind of makeup go one and done in the playoffs. We've come this far and have a good opportunity to go get a Super Bowl now. It's time to go for the gold. So I'm going to be critical.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
13-3 is a great accomplishment sure. I've had fun this season for the most part. I haven't enjoyed our offense play as much as our defense though. I've just seen plenty of 13-3 teams (or around that record) with our kind of makeup go one and done in the playoffs. We've come this far and have a good opportunity to go get a Super Bowl now. It's time to go for the gold. So I'm going to be critical.

Teams like last year's Saints, handful of Brady's Patriot's teams, Manning's Colts, Chargers, etc, etc "high-powered offenses" have gone one-and-done as well.

Ness
01-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Teams like last year's Saints, handful of Brady's Patriot's teams, Manning's Colts, Chargers, etc, etc "high-powered offenses" have gone one-and-done as well.

True, but those teams are at least in the playoffs every single season thanks to a consistent offense with a good quarterback. Good defenses are harder to keep together.

binary
01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Pats, Giants, Bucs, Ravens, Steelers, are all recent teams that won without dominant QB play....just saying. It's a myth that you need a dominant QB to win one.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Good defenses are harder to keep together.

I just don't see that. Teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Bears, Giants, etc, have had success for decades with multitudes of QBs simply because they keep a defensive philosophy and draft players to fit within it.

Ness
01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
I just don't see that. Teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Bears, Giants, etc, have had success for decades with multitudes of QBs simply because they keep a defensive philosophy and draft players to fit within it.

Steelers and Ravens have franchise quarterbacks though. Before Flacco, the Ravens didn't have four straight winning seasons in a row like they have had since he has been with the team. If the Steelers were rolling with another journeyman like Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak, Neil O'Donnell, etc I doubt they the success they've had this decade. That worked in the 90's before the NFL was a passing league like it is now and the rules favor the offense.

The Bears are always good one season and then suck the next because of terrible quarterback play. We saw what happened this season when Culter went down. Since 1996, they've only had two winning seasons back to back.

The Giants haven't been great defensively this last decade at least like the Steelers and Ravens are year in and year out.

This is what I loved about the 49ers of the 90's. Great quarterback, great offense and we were in the playoffs every single damn year. It was a guarantee as long as Steve Young played the majority of the season. We had good defensive play too though. If you have a weak side of the ball though I'm always going to be pro offense instead of defense. Especially in today's league. Look what the Packers are doing with the NFL's 30th ranked defense.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Steelers and Ravens have franchise quarterbacks though. Before Flacco, the Ravens didn't have four straight winning seasons in a row like they have had since he has been with the team. If the Steelers were rolling with another journeyman like Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak, Neil O'Donnell, etc I doubt they the success they've had this decade. That worked in the 90's before the NFL was a passing league like it is now and the rules favor the offense.

The Bears are always good one season and then suck the next because of terrible quarterback play. We saw what happened this season when Culter went down. Since 1996, they've only had two winning seasons back to back.

The Giants haven't been great defensively this last decade at least like the Steelers and Ravens are year in and year out.

This is what I loved about the 49ers of the 90's. Great quarterback, great offense and we were in the playoffs every single damn year. It was a guarantee as long as Steve Young played the majority of the season. We had good defensive play too though. If you have a weak side of the ball though I'm always going to be pro offense instead of defense. Especially in today's league. Look what the Packers are doing with the NFL's 30th ranked defense.

I'm really not trying to argue with everything but, I see it differently...

What are these "offensive powerhouse" teams that have been winning a bunch of Super Bowls?

Packers? - One Super Bowl... had the #2 scoring defense last season.

Saints? One Super Bowl... Had the highest Turnover ratio in the NFL that season... and they lost to the 7-9 Seahawks the following playoffs.

Steelers? - Consistently elite defense. One of their SB wins came with a run-control, efficient passing system.

Giants? - Beat the "offensive powerhouse" by utilizing a high-pressure defense and timely offense.

Colts? - One Super Bowl... and their playoff run was with a surging defense that ended up being #1 in the NFL the following season.

Patriots? - No Super Bowls in 7 seasons. When they were a "dynasty" they had a tremendously formidable defense.

Ness
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm really not trying to argue with everything but, I see it differently...

What are these "offensive powerhouse" teams that have been winning a bunch of Super Bowls?

Packers? - One Super Bowl... had the #2 scoring defense last season.

Saints? One Super Bowl... Had the highest Turnover ratio in the NFL that season... and they lost to the 7-9 Seahawks the following playoffs.

Steelers? - Consistently elite defense. One of their SB wins came with a run-control, efficient passing system.

Giants? - Beat the "offensive powerhouse" by utilizing a high-pressure defense and timely offense.

Colts? - One Super Bowl... and their playoff run was with a surging defense that ended up being #1 in the NFL the following season.

Patriots? - No Super Bowls in 7 seasons. When they were a "dynasty" they had a tremendously formidable defense.

If we look at the last five Super Bowl winners though, they've all had top ten offense for the most part. Or rather, offenses that could put out a top ten offensive performance on any given day led by big game quarterbacks.

2010 - Aaron Rodgers

2009 - Drew Brees

2008 - Ben Roethlisberger

2007 - Elli Manning

2006 - Peyton Manning

All of these guys have had big games against good teams and played well for four quarters and dominated. Alex hasn't done that yet. The closest this season was against the Eagles and Giants. One was a comeback though. We need to see more games like that. Maybe it's partly Harbaugh. He needs to put the game in Alex's hands more often.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
If we look at the last five Super Bowl winners though, they've all had top ten offense for the most part. Or rather, offenses that could put out a top ten offensive performance on any given day led by big game quarterbacks.

2010 - Aaron Rodgers

2009 - Drew Brees

2008 - Ben Roethlisberger

2007 - Elli Manning

2006 - Peyton Manning

All of these guys have had big games against good teams and played well for four quarters and dominated. Alex hasn't done that yet. The closest this season was against the Eagles and Giants. One was a comeback though. We need to see more games like that. Maybe it's partly Harbaugh. He needs to put the game in Alex's hands more often.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. All-time elite QBs in pass happy offenses to a solid mistake-free QB in a conservative offense.

This team is very much like the 2005 Steelers. As far as Roethlisberger being the type of QB that can throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs... He is... but he has lead the Steelers to fewer points per game than Alex Smith has lead the 49ers to.

I'm confident in saying that not a single soul would disagree with you that if the 49ers had a future HOF QB, that we'd be more confident in their offense.

That's not the point. The point is, Harbaugh wants efficient, mistake-free fottball that wins games. Smith gives him that. And with some good fortune, the 49ers are absolutely a contender.

Ness
01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
They need to get better on 3rd down. I don't know if any team has won the Super Bowl with a 29% conversion rate on 3rd down.

phlysac
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
They need to get better on 3rd down. I don't know if any team has won the Super Bowl with a 29% conversion rate on 3rd down.

They absolutely do. The difference between you and me is that I believe that is a team issue while you believe it's a QB issue.

Ness
01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
They absolutely do. The difference between you and me is that I believe that is a team issue while you believe it's a QB issue.

I think you should at least consider the possibility that it might be more so a QB issue.

phlysac
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I think you should at least consider the possibility that it might be more so a QB issue.

I do. I said it's a team issue. More specifically an Offensive issue. The QB is a large part of Offensive production. Smith should be better. Smith has to get better. But the O-line, RBs, WRs, TEs, and play-calling are a part as well. Even if you split it 50/50 (which is absurd to think that Smith is 5 times more important than all of the other pieces) but even if you did, then Smith is only half to blame. That's my point.

Ness
01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
I do. I said it's a team issue. More specifically an Offensive issue. The QB is a large part of Offensive production. Smith should be better. Smith has to get better. But the O-line, RBs, WRs, TEs, and play-calling are a part as well. Even if you split it 50/50 (which is absurd to think that Smith is 5 times more important than all of the other pieces) but even if you did, then Smith is only half to blame. That's my point.

The quarterback is always going to be the most important piece in today's NFL. Are you telling me Peyton Manning isn't five times more important than anyone else on the roster? I don't think that is so absurd.

I know you said it's a team issue. I'm telling you that you should consider the possibility that Alex is the main problem with the passing game and should eventually be replaced. That's not so much an entire team issue as it is an "individual player just not being very good" issue. This is why guys get benched for bad performances (not saying Alex deserves this, besides we don't have anyone else on the roster). Remember when Romo came in for Bledsoe in 2006? Team got instantly better. I'm not going to play the percentages game. A main problem is a main problem period. I'm saying you should consider that possibility of it being more so an individual issue instead of an entire team issue.

If we were to take Aaron Rodgers for example run him through this new offensive system in the same amount of time that Alex had this past offseason and learn the nuances, wouldn't you put your money on Rodgers being a lot better? Sometimes a good player is just a good player regardless of the other circumstances around them. That same logic applies to bad players.

phlysac
01-04-2012, 12:38 AM
The quarterback is always going to be the most important piece in today's NFL. Are you telling me Peyton Manning isn't five times more important than anyone else on the roster? I don't think that is so absurd.

I know you said it's a team issue. I'm telling you that you should consider the possibility that Alex is the main problem with the passing game and should eventually be replaced. I'm not going to play the percentages game. A main problem is a main problem period. I'm saying you should consider that possibility.

If we were to take Aaron Rodgers for example run him through this new offensive system in the same amount of time that Alex had this past offseason and learn the nuances, wouldn't you put your money on Rodgers being a lot better? Sometimes a good player is just a good player regardless of the other circumstances around them. That same logic applies to bad players.

To combine your Peyton Manning point with Rodgers-point...

You're ignoring offensive philosophy. Peyton Manning is far more important to the Indianapolis than ANY QB will EVER be in a Harbaugh offense.

And Rodgers is a ridiculously good QB, but remove him, and you see what happens... the system maintains potency.

Harbaugh's system should maintain, regardless of who is at QB if... BIG IF... the QB is efficient and doesn't make mistakes. And those are two things that Smith has done.

Ness
01-04-2012, 12:46 AM
To combine your Peyton Manning point with Rodgers-point...

You're ignoring offensive philosophy. Peyton Manning is far more important to the Indianapolis than ANY QB will EVER be in a Harbaugh offense.

And Rodgers is a ridiculously good QB, but remove him, and you see what happens... the system maintains potency.

Harbaugh's system should maintain, regardless of who is at QB if... BIG IF... the QB is efficient and doesn't make mistakes. And those are two things that Smith has done.

You can use a bunch of examples. We've seen what happens with good quarterbacks get hurt or whatever and are replaced. You can't just use the "oh it's the system" card.

What happened when Warren Moon left the Oilers? They sucked. Cody Carlson couldn't do **** in the same system.

You think Jaime Martin could have done what Warner did in 1999 in that system?

A lot of teams find good players as backups. Green Bay looks like it's the next one. Don't tell me guys like Rodgers and Brady are system players because their backups played well in a small amount of games. Rob Johnson did the same thing for the Jaguars and then bombed in Buffalo.

You put Alex Smith on the Giants, does he carry that team? I think if you put Peyton Manning on the Giants, he does. Doesn't matter what the system is. A good player is a good player period. This is why Montana didn't suck when he went to the Chiefs.

binary
01-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Doesn't matter what the system is. A good player is a good player period.

It's both, most niner fans should know that by now.

Madirishman
01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
This team is very much like the 2005 Steelers. As far as Roethlisberger being the type of QB that can throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs... He is... but he has lead the Steelers to fewer points per game than Alex Smith has lead the 49ers to.

Agree. Good comparison. They have their limits but if they play their game, they will get W's.

phlysac
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't believe that systems make players anymore than players make systems. As said, it is a combination of the two. Did Mike Furrey lead the NFL in catches because he was the most talented WR?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Box scores from Eli and Big Ben's Super Bowl runs:
Eli
@TB 20/27 185 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score: 24-14
@Dal 12/18 163 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score: 21-17
@GB 21/40 251 Yards 0 TD 0 INT Final Score: 23-20
vs NE 19/34 255 Yards 2 TD 1 INT Final Score: 17-14

Big Ben:
(’08 Super Bowl)
vs SD 17/26 181 Yards 1 TD 0 INT Final Score 35-24
vs Bal 16/33 255 Yards 1 TD 0 INT Final Score 23-14
vs Ari 21/30 256 Yards 1 TD 1 INT Final Score 21-30

(’10 Super Bowl run)
vs Bal 19/32 226 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score 31-24
vs NYJ 10/19 133 Yards 0 TD 2 INT Final Score 24-19
vs GNB 25/40 263 Yards 2 TD 2 INT Final Score….well they lost

One thing that stands out is no 300 yard games from either guy. They played efficient and turnover free football (well not Big Ben in last year's Super Bowl run). It is obvious that 49ers need to be more efficient in the red zone but in their last 2 games they went 5/8 (stats exclude Akers TD throw) in the red zone. It is a small sample size but when they needed TDs they came through during this mini stretch run towards the 2 seed. Hopefully it carries over in 2 weeks.

Ness
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Box scores from Eli and Big Ben's Super Bowl runs:
Eli
@TB 20/27 185 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score: 24-14
@Dal 12/18 163 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score: 21-17
@GB 21/40 251 Yards 0 TD 0 INT Final Score: 23-20
vs NE 19/34 255 Yards 2 TD 1 INT Final Score: 17-14

Big Ben:
(’08 Super Bowl)
vs SD 17/26 181 Yards 1 TD 0 INT Final Score 35-24
vs Bal 16/33 255 Yards 1 TD 0 INT Final Score 23-14
vs Ari 21/30 256 Yards 1 TD 1 INT Final Score 21-30

(’10 Super Bowl run)
vs Bal 19/32 226 Yards 2 TD 0 INT Final Score 31-24
vs NYJ 10/19 133 Yards 0 TD 2 INT Final Score 24-19
vs GNB 25/40 263 Yards 2 TD 2 INT Final Score….well they lost

One thing that stands out is no 300 yard games from either guy. They played efficient and turnover free football (well not Big Ben in last year's Super Bowl run). It is obvious that 49ers need to be more efficient in the red zone but in their last 2 games they went 5/8 (stats exclude Akers TD throw) in the red zone. It is a small sample size but when they needed TDs they came through during this mini stretch run towards the 2 seed. Hopefully it carries over in 2 weeks.

No 300 yard games, true. But how did they do on third downs for example? How many times did they pass on third downs to move the chains? There are other key factors there in those games I'm sure.

phlysac
01-04-2012, 04:56 PM
No 300 yard games, true. But how did they do on third downs for example? How many times did they pass on third downs to move the chains? There are other key factors there in those games I'm sure.

If an Alex Smith-lead 49er's team leads the NFL in 3rd down completions for conversions next season will you simply look for something else to illuminate an argument that Smith can't win?

Menardo75
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
If an Alex Smith-lead 49er's team leads the NFL in 3rd down completions for conversions next season will you simply look for something else to illuminate an argument that Smith can't win?

Yeah probably.

Menardo75
01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
If the 49ers force their opponent to play their game they have a good chance of winning. That was one of the major points Mike Tomlin brought up about the monday night game. If they can control the game against the Packers and Saints they will have a good chance of winning. I don't think anybody will dispute the fact that the Niners need to avoid getting into a shoot out.

Ness
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Nope.

Third down conversions are usually the key factors for good quarterbacks. If he is responsible for converting a good amount of third downs next season, he'll look lightyears better than he looked this season, and it will be obvious that he's more of a passing threat.

Ness
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
If the 49ers force their opponent to play their game they have a good chance of winning. That was one of the major points Mike Tomlin brought up about the monday night game. If they can control the game against the Packers and Saints they will have a good chance of winning. I don't think anybody will dispute the fact that the Niners need to avoid getting into a shoot out.

And why would you say that?

Menardo75
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM

The Niners aren't built to be in a shoot out obviously.

phlysac
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Because a Harbaugh-lead 49ers team is built to utilize power-running formations and efficient passing.

I believe the 49ers could win a shoot-out occasionally, but the fact they are in one, at all, means that something isn't working.

Ness
01-04-2012, 10:38 PM
The Niners aren't built to be in a shoot out obviously.

That's going to have to change in the future if they want to go the distance.

Ness
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Because a Harbaugh-lead 49ers team is built to utilize power-running formations and efficient passing.

I believe the 49ers could win a shoot-out occasionally, but the fact they are in one, at all, means that something isn't working.

So are a lot of teams though. Doesn't mean they can't air it out when they want it to. Still goes through the quarterback. You look at teams in the past like let's say the Tennessee Titans of the early 2000's or the Cowboys of the 90's. Those teams put emphasis on running the football, but due to the quarterbacks they had on the roster with McNair/Aikman, they could shoot it out when needed and/or if they simply wanted to.