PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Graham & Jerry Hughes; what's up?

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I know Graham got hurt last year, severe knee injury?

Just checking the Eagles page, I see he only has 4 tackles on this season, and he's buried on the depth charts. Is he not going to ever be the same after his injury? What was it again? Or is he maybe not cut out for the DE position, maybe better for a 3-4 OLB spot?

I always thought Hughes would be a great OLB in the mold of the Steelers rushbackers.......

Hughes, (6-2, 255 pounds) is stuck as the #5 DE for the Colts, behind Tyler Brayton and Jamaal Anderson as well as the 2 beasts Freeney and Mathis.

He was a guy that in the 2009 NFL Draft, Ted Thompson did like and was prepared to select him with the pick @#23.

The reason I think I know this is because both Rick Gosselin and Bob McGinn (2 great mocksters with some team-connections) predicted the picks and a source of Goose here in the DFW area (TCU country) expected Jerry to become a Packer in that 2010 Draft, to match up with Clay Matthews.

Of course, nobody expected Bryan Bulaga to fall out of the top-ten and be there at pick #23 for the Packers, who knew they had some aging OT's who needed to be replaced very soon. Bulaga to the Packers was a match made in heaven. He fit what they look for on the OL to a 'T'.

Now, 2 years later, Hughes has not done anything as a hand-on-the-ground DE for the Colts, languishing behind a couple of just guys, including Anderson who washed out of Atlanta.

What would it take for Packers to obtain Hughes from the Colts now?
Indy took him with pick #31 last year.
Would they let him go for anything less than that now?
Colt fans, how has he done outside of what the stat line shows?

Eagle fans, what's the bottom line on B Graham?
These are 2 guys I salivated over in that draft and came away saddened that we got neither... although Bulaga has been good and we've needed him.

TACKLE
12-30-2011, 08:56 PM
why are you so annoying?

robert pancake gallery
12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.dawgtalkers.net/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 09:15 PM
why are you so annoying?
What's wrong with the question?
These are 2 guys that were super-hyped and 2 guys I thought would have impacts like Miller and Smith have this year as rookies.

I obviously don't get to see them in detail like I do my own team.
I believe Hughes would blossom into a beast if my team could obtain him. He's built for our system IMO moreso than the 43 DE.

What's the problem? You got nothing to add here, then go back and work on your free throws or something.

TACKLE
12-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Because you bumped an almost two year old thread to discuss this and then made a thread because you wanted it to get more attention. No one cares about another thread so you can get people to talk about the Packers. We're all tired of it. Use the damn team boards.

Go_Eagles77
12-30-2011, 09:54 PM
If you would check the thread you initially asked this question in, I told you about Graham.

Brandon Graham has been plagued by injuries. His future is still a complete unknown, but it still hurts that we picked him over JPP and Earl Thomas who went the next 2 picks.

noondog
12-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Not a thread-worthy topic is the general consensus

Jvig43
12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Because you bumped an almost two year old thread to discuss this and then made a thread because you wanted it to get more attention. No one cares about another thread so you can get people to talk about the Packers. We're all tired of it. Use the damn team boards.

Now this right here is comment of the year.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
If you would check the thread you initially asked this question in, I told you about Graham.

I don't think you guys would have picked JPP. I know the buzz was that the Titans saw him as the next Freak. But obviously that could be smokescreen too. I know we liked him a lot and he was 9th or so if I remember correctly on our draft board. I am not sure how many other teams liked him or not. It's interesting to think because due to his lack of football experience he could have dropped big time.

J-Mike88
12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think you guys would have picked JPP. I know the buzz was that the Titans saw him as the next Freak. But obviously that could be smokescreen too. I know we liked him a lot and he was 9th or so if I remember correctly on our draft board. I am not sure how many other teams liked him or not. It's interesting to think because due to his lack of football experience he could have dropped big time.
I saw somewhere here or at FF, someone with all the metrics, shuttle times, 10-yard splits, all that stuff, comparing numbers of the current crop of guys with Pierre-Paul, to guys who had made it, and busted, and their scientific analysis showed that he would be a very strong candidate to be a bust.

They were wrong.

I still want Hughes and think he can and would become a stud OLB.

Go_Eagles77
12-31-2011, 04:29 PM
I too thought JPP would bust and Graham would be a 10+ sack guy. I liked the pick at the time, but obviously hindsight has changed my opinion.

J-Mike88
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I too thought JPP would bust and Graham would be a 10+ sack guy. I liked the pick at the time, but obviously hindsight has changed my opinion.
Well thanks, but can you give any assessment of Graham or has he simply not been able to get on the field (either do to lack of production, or can't get healthy)?

killxswitch
01-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Jerry Hughes is not a 4-3 DE. If he is 255 lbs then I am the fairy princess of roller skates. He looks small and plays small. He is terrible with his hand in the ground. Slow off the snap, no power, gets pushed out and around the pocket easily. His effort is crap, he got into a shouting match with Caldwell (which actually made me like him more), and he sucks on special teams.

All that said, I think he is in a terrible situation. He is behind two top 4-3 DEs that aren't interested in taking anybody under their wing. He actually showed some speed in preseason as a stand up rusher in a 5 man front.

I could easily see him going to GB or Houston or some other 3-4 team with good coaching and being a successful pass rusher. In time he might even become a 3 down LB. But he is not a 4-3 end, and the coaching/front office situation here has not helped him at all.

J-Mike88
01-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Jerry Hughes is not a 4-3 DE. If he is 255 lbs then I am the fairy princess of roller skates. He looks small and plays small. He is terrible with his hand in the ground. Slow off the snap, no power, gets pushed out and around the pocket easily. His effort is crap, he got into a shouting match with Caldwell (which actually made me like him more), and he sucks on special teams.

All that said, I think he is in a terrible situation. He is behind two top 4-3 DEs that aren't interested in taking anybody under their wing. He actually showed some speed in preseason as a stand up rusher in a 5 man front.

I could easily see him going to GB or Houston or some other 3-4 team with good coaching and being a successful pass rusher. In time he might even become a 3 down LB. But he is not a 4-3 end, and the coaching/front office situation here has not helped him at all.
Thanks killx,
that's exactly what I am looking for here from Colts insiders and Eagles insiders....
that is the purpose of this thread. Amazing that some non-Colts and non-Eagles fans get into a girlish b*tchfest like it's that time of the month...

So that being said, for Hughes, what do you think they'd need to trade him?
Would a late 2nd get it done do you think?

J-Mike88
01-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Brandon Graham has been plagued by injuries. His future is still a complete unknown, but it still hurts that we picked him over JPP and Earl Thomas who went the next 2 picks.
Has he been active for all the games lately or is he still not over the knee injury from last year?
I hate knee injuries!