PDA

View Full Version : One-Year Wonders

Caulibflower
12-31-2011, 01:31 AM
I've broken out ESPN 2K5 for my old first-gen xbox and I'm seeing all these old names from 7 years ago or so. Playing the Rams, Kevin Curtis is making some plays. And I'm thinking, "Hey, he was really good for the Eagles... for like a year. And then he disappeared again."

It's kind of funny looking through these ratings. The Oakland Charles Woodson is only like an 84, really fits the profile as an aging vet.

But anyways, I was just kinda reminiscing about...mediocre players. Mike Furrey comes to mind in a similar way. He was what, second in the league in receptions a few years ago? Then... poof.

Edit: Mike Furrey second in the NFL in catches in 2006; Curtis had 1110 yards in '07 and didn't break 400 after that.

BaLLiN
12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Tommie Harris seemed like an absolute monster for the Bears, then poof as well.

Edit: clearly not a one year wonder, but only had 3 very good years.

FUNBUNCHER
12-31-2011, 01:33 AM
It's a tough league. The average NFL career is like 3 years.

We spend so much time focusing on the stars of the league, we miss those guys who are literally balling their guts out everyday to keep their roster spot.

Caulibflower
12-31-2011, 01:37 AM
It's a tough league. The average NFL career is like 3 years.

We spend so much time focusing on the stars of the league, we miss those guys who are literally balling their guts out everyday to keep their roster spot.

Yeah, that's totally what I'm thinking about looking at these rosters from a few years ago. 7 years, I think. All these names I remember, but never think about anymore.

LaMont Jordan's a good one, too. He becomes a free agent in the first offseason in this game and is decent. I'd always pick him up. And he had one big season in '05 - 1025 rushing yards and 9 TDs, 70 catches for 563 yards a 2 more TDs for Oakland, then he pretty much became irrelevant again. Solid player, decent career, featured for one year.

Ness
12-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Scott Mitchell in 1995.

Steve Beuerlin in 1999, who no one remembers because he played for an 8-8 Panthers team. He had a great season passing the ball as well though. He beat Warner in terms of passing yards and had 36 touchdowns, which I think was second to Warner as well if I remember correctly.

Then of course there are all of those Broncos running backs.

I don't know if I would count Mike Furrey's one year of getting attention as something special. The Lions just threw the ball a lot. Furrey barely cracked 1,000 yards and needed nearly 100 catches to do it. I think he had something around an 11 YPR. That's not that impressive in my opinion.

Brodeur
12-31-2011, 02:12 AM
Scott Mitchell in 1995.

Steve Beuerlin in 1999, who no one remembers because he played for an 8-8 Panthers team. He had a great season passing the ball as well though. He beat Warner in terms of passing yards and had 36 touchdowns, which I think was second to Warner as well if I remember correctly.

Then of course there are all of those Broncos running backs.

I don't know if I would count Mike Furrey's one year of getting attention as something special. The Lions just threw the ball a lot. Furrey barely cracked 1,000 yards and needed nearly 100 catches to do it. I think he had something around an 11 YPR. That's not that impressive in my opinion.

This is honestly the most confusing season of anyone ever. I have no idea where that came from and it bothers me. Mitchell had a solid line, Barry Sanders, and a very good group of receivers at least. Beuerlein had okay receivers, a mediocre line, and a below average group of backs. I don't get it.

SuperMcGee
12-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Steve Beuerlein won me my first fantasy championship that season. He'll always have a special place in my heart because of that. If only I still rolled as hard as I did when I was 10.

JHL6719
12-31-2011, 02:45 AM
I remember when Germane Crowell beasted it at WR for the Lions in his 2nd year in the league in 1999... then... poof.

Docta
12-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Derek Anderson. Even made the pro bowl. Threw for 29 TDs that year, and hasn't thrown over 10 in a single season since then.

soybean
12-31-2011, 03:16 AM
Mike Williams in Seattle had a resurrection type year last year getting 700+ yards. This year? he's a ghost.

yodabear
12-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Don Majkowski got jipped man.

Bengalsrocket
12-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Ickey Woods!

Ness
12-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Derek Anderson. Even made the pro bowl. Threw for 29 TDs that year, and hasn't thrown over 10 in a single season since then.

I think he made the Pro Bowl only because others backed out though.

This is honestly the most confusing season of anyone ever. I have no idea where that came from and it bothers me. Mitchell had a solid line, Barry Sanders, and a very good group of receivers at least. Beuerlein had okay receivers, a mediocre line, and a below average group of backs. I don't get it.

I guess his deal with the devil expired. That entire season was a hoax.

Hines
12-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Kendrell Bell. Dude was such a ******* monster his rookie season. Got hurt his sophomore season and was never the same. If he never gotten hurt and had his ability pretty much ruined, I wonder where he would be today for the Steelers. I don't think we'd have Timmons. Man, what could have been.

WCH
12-31-2011, 06:03 AM

I keep a database of all of the QBs drafted since 1983, because I'm a nerd. That season for Beuerlein jumps right the **** out every time I screw around with the data. It's a top-10 statistical season. At the age of 34, this career backup (who wasn't even spectacular in college) just went out and led the league in passing yardage while throwing for 36 TDs. Then he went back to being average the next season.

It bothers me, too.

JHL6719
12-31-2011, 06:22 AM
I remember when Cornelius Bennett almost broke Beuerlein in half in 1986 when Bama played Notre Dame.

Watch this gem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUoi8r32CE8

FUNBUNCHER
12-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Don Majkowski got jipped man.

The Majik Man!!!

I thought this guy was on the verge. Injuries suck.

WR Javon Walker should have been better than he was.

Nalej
12-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Devon McCourty

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-31-2011, 08:32 AM
The Majik Man!!!

I thought this guy was on the verge. Injuries suck.

WR Javon Walker should have been better than he was.

Yeah, Javon had that breakout season in GB, got hurt, then was Denver's best offensive player in his first year there. He was amazing, I specifically remember us beating the Steelers entirely because of him. But then at the end of that year, Darrent Williams died in his arms, he could never stay healthy and he was never more than a middling option ever since.

TheFinisher
12-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Elvis Grbac

Coming off his "breakout season", Baltimore picked him up after letting go of Dilfer fresh off a SB title. I remember everyone thinking the Ravens were finally gonna have an offense to match that defense.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-31-2011, 10:14 AM

Patrick Jeffers was a legit WR. Unfortunately he got hurt the next season and was out of the NFL soon after

CJSchneider
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
1989 Christian Okoye came to mind.

Caulibflower
12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
1989 Christian Okoye came to mind.

Yeah, he was one of those guys who was a solid player, but just exploded one year. Worked with a guy who went to Azusa Pacific while Okoye was there, and he talked about seeing Okoye out doing track and field... think he said Okoye was a javelin thrower. Said he was about the most physically impressive human being he'd ever seen.

TheBoyWonder22
12-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Peyton Hillis...

Splat
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Does Tommy Maddox count? He never had a great year but 2002 was decent.

BeerBaron
12-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Marcus Robinson with the Bears. Had 89 catches, 1400 yards, and 9 TD in 11 starts.

He only ever even got to HALF of that one other time in a 10 year career, and it was the year right after he had 700.

I'm also pretty sure that was the last time a Bears receiver got past 1000 yards which...it's just really sad.

Even more impressive, his QBs were Shane Matthews and Cade McNown....

Babylon
12-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Ickey Woods!

He had talent but drugs and injuries did him in. Loved the shuffle.

I was going to say Tavarus Jackson but still waiting for the one good year.

Shane P. Hallam
12-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Michael Clayton is mine, for sure.

Ness
12-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Marcus Robinson with the Bears. Had 89 catches, 1400 yards, and 9 TD in 11 starts.

He only ever even got to HALF of that one other time in a 10 year career, and it was the year right after he had 700.

I'm also pretty sure that was the last time a Bears receiver got past 1000 yards which...it's just really sad.

Even more impressive, his QBs were Shane Matthews and Cade McNown....

I think Marty Booker went over 1,000 yards a few years later.

Brodeur
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Patrick Jeffers was a legit WR. Unfortunately he got hurt the next season and was out of the NFL soon after

But he got let go by Dallas the season before and had done absolutely nothing before that season. His other main options were Mushin Muhammad and Wesley Walls, who while both solid were nothing special by any means.

vikes_28
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Peyton Hillis...

madden curse.

NIN1984
12-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Jerry Porter has a good season or two. I thought he was gonna be a true #1 WR after the 2002 season, nope.

BuddyCHRIST
12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Remember when Volek and Drew Bennett blew up down the stretch one season? Bennett finished with almost 1300 yards and 11 TDs.

Caulibflower
12-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Michael Bennett. Insane athlete who couldn't stay healthy; 1600+ scrimmage yards and a trip to the Pro Bowl in his second year, didn't get within a thousand yards of that for the rest of his career.

murdamal86
12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Mike Anderson w/that 1500 yard season. he had another 1000 yard year but not to the stature of that 1500 yard

Ness
12-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Billy Volek and his 2004 season when he teamed up with Drew Bennett and Derrick Mason. The Titans had a losing season, but those guys were putting up fantasy numbers for a few weeks.

hockey619
12-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Tim Tebow (10 Char)

BufFan71
12-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Chris Brown

Koren Robinson

Ness
12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Kevan Barlow. What a hoax that was.

Caddy
12-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Michael Clayton is mine, for sure.

I hate you.

binary
01-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Great example, I thought he could be the next big thing.

Nalej
01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Robert Edwards :(

MassNole
01-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Barry Foster the former Steelers RB comes to mind. I know he was a Pro Bowler twice, but in reality he had that magical season in 1992 where he was named the UPI AFC POTY with nearly 1700 yards.

DoughBoy
01-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I remember Chris Brown and Billy Volek. Chris was really talented, he just ran really high and he was 6 foot 3 to begin with.... needless to say injuries killed his career.

Rosebud
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Ickey Woods!

6lmYqYvi-CM

Rosebud
01-01-2012, 12:29 PM
kZunCB46Gyk

Grizzlegom
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Anthony Thomas comes to mind for me. I think he had 2 good seasons but never lived up to his rookie season.

Go_Eagles77
01-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Reggie Brown anyone? I really thought he was going to be a top 10 WR one day during his rookie season. That never worked out...

Then again I was 14 years old and a huge homer at the time, so maybe he never was that good.

Ness
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I remember Chris Brown and Billy Volek. Chris was really talented, he just ran really high and he was 6 foot 3 to begin with.... needless to say injuries killed his career.

I still wonder what went down with Billy Volek being basically banished from the Titans and the franchise deciding to go with Kerry Collins for the starting job.

CashmoneyDrew
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I still wonder what went down with Billy Volek being basically banished from the Titans and the franchise deciding to go with Kerry Collins for the starting job.

Something obviously happened between him and Fisher. Doubt we'll ever find out though.

JBCX
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Michael Vick

Bulldogs
01-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Michael Vick

Rather have Kolb out there right Thumper?

CrackerJack465
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Lee Evans
Eddie Kennison? lol 1100 yrd receiver... smh
Travis Henry
David Boston
LaMont Jordan
Laverneus Coles
Lee Suggs
Aaron Brooks.. Wth happened to him
Bennett that RB from minny
Trunt Canidate lol
Reuben Droughns
Kevin Barlow... wth happened to that guy
William Green
Michael Clayton... What a dissapointment he was
That rb from Houston... Domanick Williams?
Dennis Northcutt
Rudi Johnson
Larry Johnson
Julius Jones
Darrell Jackson
Chris Chambers... Wth happened to him?
Jerry Porter
Antonio Bryant
Willie Parker... He was mostly injuries but still worth the list
Mike Anderson
Chris Brown
DeShaun Foster
David Givens
Tatum Bell... lol what a hoax
Samkon Gado when he blew up on monday night for the packers
TJ Duckett?
Kevin Jones the DET RB
Nick Goings.. That scrub RB from Carolina
Javon Walker (hes still thanking brett favre for that contract comment)

BufFan71
01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Lee Evans
Travis Henry
David Boston
LaMont Jordan
Laverneus Coles
Lee Suggs
Aaron Brooks.. Wth happened to him
Bennett that RB from minny
Trunt Canidate lol
Reuben Droughns
Kevin Barlow... wth happened to that guy
William Green
Michael Clayton... What a dissapointment he was
That rb from Houston... Domanick Williams?
Dennis Northcutt
Rudi Johnson
Larry Johnson
Julius Jones
Darrell Jackson
Chris Chambers... Wth happened to him?
Jerry Porter
Antonio Bryant
Willie Parker... He was mostly injuries but still worth the list
Mike Anderson
Chris Brown
DeShaun Foster
David Givens
Tatum Bell... lol what a hoax
Samkon Gado when he blew up on monday night for the packers
TJ Duckett?
Kevin Jones the DET RB
Nick Goings.. That scrub RB from Carolina
Javon Walker (hes still thanking brett favre for that contract comment)

this is the ultimate list

Caulibflower
01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice list of players in this last decade or so... wanted to comment on a couple of them.

Travis Henry - more "inconsistent" than I one-year wonder, I'd say. A few good seasons, a few forgettable seasons.

Laverneus Coles - ...What?

Lee Suggs - Don't know if a 700 yard season and then nothing really counts as even one year of wonder...haha.

That rb from Houston... Domanick Williams? - I wouldn't call him a one-year wonder, I'd call him a promising young running back who suffered a career-ending knee injury 3/4 through his third season.

Rudi Johnson - Nah, he was a real solid player for 4 years.

Larry Johnson - Chiefs just ran him into the ground.

Chris Chambers - Like Coles, don't really know what makes him a "one-year wonder." Had a couple Pro Bowl years and an otherwise pretty solid career.

Willie Parker - Eh. Three-year wonder?

But yeah. Some of those guys were legit players with decent careers. I guess I think of a one-year wonder as someone who's was a really minor contributor over the majority of his career, had an anomalous year where he became an impact player, and then went back to obscurity.

Brodeur
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Lee Evans Had two very good years and basically lost his use in that Buffalo offense, so not a one year wonder
Eddie Kennison? lol 1100 yrd receiver... smh Was a fine number 1 receiver/number 3 option in that KC offense, and had similar years 4 years in a row, not a one year wonder
Travis Henry Had the same season two years in a row basically, and had another good year a couple of years later, not a one year wonder
David Boston Had a very good year before his MEGA BREAKOUT YEAR but the suspension killed him, still not a one year wonder
LaMont Jordan Eh basically, but career backups who start for one year are hard to quantify
Laverneus Coles Umm no, not a one year wonder
Lee Suggs A never was who got some carries one year and did alright with them, not a one year wonder because it's not good enough to count
Aaron Brooks.. Wth happened to him Not really, had several average to above averageish seasons in a row, not a one year wonder
Bennett that RB from minny Sort of yeah, injuries derailed his career in a way
Trung Canidate lol A never was, not a one year wonder
Reuben Droughns Two good years in a row, thus not one year wonder
Kevin Barlow... wth happened to that guy Wasn't really built to take much, I guess a one year wonder but bah another iffy RB thing
William Green Eh, more of a never was again, couldn't really call him much of a one year wonder
Michael Clayton... What a dissapointment he was Correct
That rb from Houston... Domanick Williams? three good years in a row, not a one year wonder
Dennis Northcutt Umm what, when did he have a good year? Not a one year wonder
Rudi Johnson 3 great years in a row, not all that unusual for a RB, not a one year wonder
Larry Johnson Again, seriously? Two elite years in a row, then injuries..not a one year wonder
Julius Jones Eh, had similar years three years in a row.....wouldn't really call a one year wonder
Darrell Jackson Had three great years, not a one year wonder
Chris Chambers... Wth happened to him? Serious drop issues, but had multiple years fairly similar to one another...not a one year wonder
Jerry Porter Eh, similar years in 2004 and 2005...again, ONE YEAR wonder he is not
Antonio Bryant Had random good years here and there, but an asshole so it was spread apart, not a one year wonder
Willie Parker... He was mostly injuries but still worth the list Three good years in a row, not a one year wonder
Mike Anderson Two thousand yard seasons, irrelevant because of Denver system, not what I would consider a one year wonder
Chris Brown Eh I guess, more of an injuries derailing another RB type deal
DeShaun Foster Had basically the exact same season for half of his career so no, not a one year wonder
David Givens Never was all that great, and had a couple of decent seasons not one, not a one year wonder
Tatum Bell... lol what a hoax Eh, didn't have 1000 yards the year before but wasn't all that different of a season, and another Denver RB, so I wouldn't call it one
Samkon Gado when he blew up on monday night for the packers One game doesn't equal a year, and he was never good, so not a one YEAR wonder
TJ Duckett? He got some more carries one year in Atlanta and managed to do something with it, but I don't know if I could call him one
Kevin Jones the DET RB Lisfranc injury in his second year depleted his quickness, so I don't really know whether I would call him one but he could be considered a one year wonder
Nick Goings.. That scrub RB from Carolina Just got a ton of carries one year and did okayish, nothing after that but never got that carries, so I don't really think he would count
Javon Walker (hes still thanking brett favre for that contract comment) One elite season and then a good year coming back from injury, but his friend's death destroyed him so not a one year wonder

You are listing way too many guys with 2 or 3 good years, and too many running backs. I can't really count running backs because there is way too much variation in non elite backs.

phlysac
01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Great lists by everyone.

No mention of Steve Slaton?

Basileus777
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Kennison had a 5 year productive run with KC, how is he a one year wonder?

Brent
01-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Jerome Harrison

CrackerJack465
01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Ya my list wasnt really a one year wonder list... I kinda diverged from the topic a little. My list was more of a "They were really sweet 5 years ago and then vanished from the league in like a year... wth happened" list

Some of those names were stretches, I know.

I honestly did not know eddie kennison was a productive player for multiple years.

Ness
01-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Aaron Brooks had a few "decent" years. He actually had a lot of comeback wins in the 4th quarter too and at at time he was right up there with Tom Brady for the most since 2000. That guy just made the worst decisions during the biggest moments of a game. He had a good arm though and was pretty durable.

JHL6719
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Karim Abdul-Jabbar

GaMeTiMe
01-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Reggie Brown anyone? I really thought he was going to be a top 10 WR one day during his rookie season. That never worked out...

Then again I was 14 years old and a huge homer at the time, so maybe he never was that good.

Nah, Brown was only promising because of his draft status. He really never showed anything and fell out of favor fast.

I was trying to think of some for the Eagles and I really can't. Pretty much all-or-nothing for them, never really have those guys who come out of nowhere to give the team a boost. Some of these names are really funny to see again though, crazy how quick you forget about guys just a few years after they were last in the league.

Hawk
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Lots of talk about Denver RB's and no mention of Olandis Gary? Granted, his career derailed because of the knee injury, but he was definitely a one year wonder.

Derrick Mayes also comes to mind. He was seldom used as the 4th or 5th option in GB, then went to Seattle and put up 800 yds and 10 TD's only to retire the next year.