PDA

View Full Version : RG3 Set to Declare

CJSchneider
01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7410307/heisman-winner-robert-griffin-iii-baylor-bears-enter-nfl-draft-sources-say

Didn't know if this was a big deal or not, but decided to at least start a thread about it,

Sloopy
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Chris Mortensen already reported that he had declared... interesting that this is saying otherwise.

ElectricEye
01-01-2012, 11:35 AM
No brainer. Barring something spectacular, he's the second quarterback off the board.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-01-2012, 11:40 AM
No brainer. Barring something spectacular, he's the second quarterback off the board.

The meteoric rise of the awful Nick Foles!

WCH
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
No-brainer, IMO. He already has his degree and Heisman, and his stock isn't going much higher.

Babylon
01-01-2012, 12:13 PM

It's not like going back to USC so i'd agree, this is almost a non-story. Doesnt look like the local team (Seattle) will have a shot even if they lose today at Arizona.

I like Griffin (find the whole RG3 thing sort of childish) better than most from last year,except Newton and Locker, so i think he's going to be pretty good.

Flyboy
01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
How the heck is RGIII childish? It's just a nickname derived from his name...

Babylon
01-01-2012, 02:04 PM

I'll like it a whole lot better if he ends up in Seattle but it seems a bit much to me. Never liked the whole A-Rod, Cp3 type stuff. Just a generation thing so nobody should get offended.

MidwayMonster31
01-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Right decision. His stock can't be any higher than it is right now and the money he will make from the NFL will be more than enough for him to go back to law school after his career is done.

Babylon
01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
It's looking like Washington, they have to take him, dont they?

TACKLE
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
With Cleveland picking 4th, I think someone makes a move into the top 3 to get him. St.Louis at 2 seems like the logical spot for a trade.

keylime_5
01-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I think someone will want to trade into the #3 spot with Minnesota to get Griffin. You probably have to get in front of the Browns to get him, and the Browns themselves might even trade up a spot just to make sure they can get him before someone else trades ahead of them (if they want him badly enough).

Whoever signs Matt Flynn this offseason would play a big role in who might try to trade (or should I say not trade) for RGIII as well.

armageddon
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Whoever wants him better contact the Rams and offer them a multitude of picks.

Bald_81
01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Whoever wants him better contact the Rams and offer them a multitude of picks.

I'm starting to think it might have been better if the Rams were selecting behind Minnesota. The Vikings would hands down take Kalil, leaving the Rams at #3 as the prime spot to trade down. Now the Rams are in a bind and if the Vikings don't like either Claiborne or Blackmon, they can tell everyone that their pick is available and can be had at a cheaper price. Then again, maybe Cleveland will want RG3 bad enough to just swap spots with the Rams and everything will work out. We'll have to see, but this is going to be interesting.

armageddon
01-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm starting to think it might have been better if the Rams were selecting behind Minnesota. The Vikings would hands down take Kalil, leaving the Rams at #3 as the prime spot to trade down. Now the Rams are in a bind and if the Vikings don't like either Claiborne or Blackmon, they can tell everyone that their pick is available and can be had at a cheaper price. Then again, maybe Cleveland will want RG3 bad enough to just swap spots with the Rams and everything will work out. We'll have to see, but this is going to be interesting.

Nah, the Rams are in the drivers seat as long as Indy picks Luck. Plus, I love having the #1 pick in rd 2. That's a valuable pick since it's the 1st pick on day 2.

DBNYDP
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
RG3 is probably my second favorite QB prospect in the past five or so years behind Andrew Luck. I think he has it all and is going to be a major stud at the next level. In fact I'd say the more I see of him the more I think he and Luck should be 1 and 1a. If I were Minnesota/St. Louis you'd have to at least consider drafting him even though you both have your high #1 pick QBs there. But if I were a team in need of a QB I'd sell sell sell to get one of those picks.

descendency
01-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Mr Griffen seems like a nice guy, but I just can't get over him not passing the eye test. My gut says he's going to fail at the next level.

He has a lot of the tools, but something is missing. I can't tell what it is. I wish both him and Luck could be ultra successful, though.

keylime_5
01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Mr Griffen seems like a nice guy, but I just can't get over him not passing the eye test. My gut says he's going to fail at the next level.

He has a lot of the tools, but something is missing. I can't tell what it is. I wish both him and Luck could be ultra successful, though.

size. he's only 6-2 and he looks really skinny.

Phins827
01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
size. he's only 6-2 and he looks really skinny.

Only 6'2", but Brees is 6'0" and Rodgers is 6'2". Theyre not too shabby.

Bald_81
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Nah, the Rams are in the drivers seat as long as Indy picks Luck. Plus, I love having the #1 pick in rd 2. That's a valuable pick since it's the 1st pick on day 2.

I agree it's a nice position to be in, but the thirty-third pick still hasn't been traded in the two years that it has gone to this new format. I hope we end that trend, but I think it gets hyped up to be more than it is.

Caulibflower
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM

It's not so much the size, but I'm with you. Something is just off.

armageddon
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I agree it's a nice position to be in, but the thirty-third pick still hasn't been traded in the two years that it has gone to this new format. I hope we end that trend, but I think it gets hyped up to be more than it is.

When the Rams had it, they had several offers on the table but couldn't pass up on Saffold. Can't say I blame them.

Brown Leader
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
It's not so much the size, but I'm with you. Something is just off.

To start with, it's that he's an unpolished, athlete first QB in a stat inflating offense, throwing to a WR corps of speedsters in a conference of weak defenses.

keylime_5
01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Only 6'2", but Brees is 6'0" and Rodgers is 6'2". Theyre not too shabby.

Those guys aren't that skinny though. Griffin looks pretty lean out there and might not have the bulk to handle the beating NFL QBs get.

When guys play in that college spread offense they don't usually look like NFL QBs either, especially dual threat guys like Griffin who run around a lot. He definietly has the arm and the smarts and the accuracy though to be a fantastic NFL QB. Develop his great tools and add some weight and he should be fine.

FUNBUNCHER
01-01-2012, 10:53 PM
To start with, it's that he's an unpolished, athlete first QB in a stat inflating offense, throwing to a WR corps of speedsters in a conference of weak defenses.

Just admit you haven't really seen RGIII play extensively instead of extrapolating why he runs when he does.

Outside of designed runs, Griffin scrambled because the pocket imploded and he was waiting for WRs to get open deep.
He's not a scatback in the pocket who bugs out from pressure.

He's a three-year starter and as polished as Sam Bradford was coming out of a similar spread scheme throwing the football.

When Griffin is allowed to dropback and stand tall in the pocket, he is a cyborg; almost machine like in his efficiency and accuracy throwing the ball to all levels of the football field.

I know this is the time before the draft when we incessantly look for reasons why the top guys really aren't all that, but there's no reason to embellish the case against Griffin.

Kendall Wright would have been a star for any team in the Big 12. But Terrance Williams and Tevin Reece are lowly regarded recruits who benefited by having Wright draw safety help and having a QB like RGIII under center.

It's ridiculous to argue that on a football team like BAYLOR, Griffin was the byproduct of an offensive system, and not THE system himself.

That bowl game was a microcosm in many ways of Baylor's season. Their defense is garbage, the Oline can't consistently pass block and Baylor's only chance to win is for RGIII primarily, Kendall Wright and Ganaway to a lesser extent to play out of their minds.

Ganaway is an underrated pro prospect, but it was Griffin's passing threat that allowed Ganaway the luxury of running against 5 and 7 man fronts with the LBs nearly 10 yards off the LOS.

The first word I would use to describe RGIII is: WORKER.
His physical ability has always been second to his willingness to be a grind. You can see it in the classroom,(he's going to earn a Master's this spring and was going to apply and begin law school in the fall), you saw it in HS.
It was demonstrated in every season Griffin improved as a QB at Baylor.

If I were a GM, my head would be spinning with the opportunity to draft Griffin. He's a smart, disciplined kid who's also a hard worker. Whatever it takes to make that leap from college phenom to pro bowl QB, you'd have to bet RGIII is going to figure it out.

Add to that his physical tools, arm strength, release, mobility and uncanny accuracy, and you're talking about a prospect who had a great chance to be taken 2nd after Luck even if Barkley had declared.

Grif is a prospect whom I feel will see his stock rise as we approach the combine, not take a dip.
Once he goes through the gauntlet of team interviews at the combine, I think teams are going to be trading up to #2 to land his services.

Did Griffin make it look easy at Baylor?? Yes.
But sometimes it's because a player is a flat out beast, and not because he has inherent weaknesses that are being camouflaged by an ideal scheme/weak competition.

JBCX
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Baylor was garbage before Griffin showed up.

That's the sign of a great prospect - he takes a bad program and turns them into a contender.

Look at Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt, or Cam Newton at Auburn.

keylime_5
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I agree with some of what Brown Leader says. His stats are inflated in that offense, that much is fact. A lot of short throws into the flat to wide open guys on screen plays that are basically fancy running plays where the WR gets a ton of YAC. There is no denying this kid's arm strength, athleticism, and accuracy (especially downfield). He has the potential to be the next great mobile QB in the NFL, certainly worth a top 5 pick.

Brown Leader
01-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Just admit you haven't really seen RGIII play extensively instead of extrapolating why he runs when he does.

Outside of designed runs, Griffin scrambled because the pocket imploded and he was waiting for WRs to get open deep.
He's not a scatback in the pocket who bugs out from pressure.

He's a three-year starter and as polished as Sam Bradford was coming out of a similar spread scheme throwing the football.

By unpolished I'm referring to his unorthodox footwork in the pocket and his tendency to drop his throwing motion, not that he's a run first type.

When Griffin is allowed to dropback and stand tall in the pocket, he is a cyborg; almost machine like in his efficiency and accuracy throwing the ball to all levels of the football field.

I know this is the time before the draft when we incessantly look for reasons why the top guys really aren't all that, but there's no reason to embellish the case against Griffin.
C'mon, he rarely drops back. If you mean when he's not under any pressure, then fine-that offense, with him running it, yes is machine like. As I've stated before I watched Griffin last year and didn't like him at all. He's had an impressive season, worthy of the accolades, but I'm in the camp that thinks he's definitely not a can't miss type.

Kendall Wright would have been a star for any team in the Big 12. But Terrance Williams and Tevin Reece are lowly regarded recruits who benefited by having Wright draw safety help and having a QB like RGIII under center.

It's ridiculous to argue that on a football team like BAYLOR, Griffin was the byproduct of an offensive system, and not THE system himself.

That bowl game was a microcosm in many ways of Baylor's season. Their defense is garbage, the Oline can't consistently pass block and Baylor's only chance to win is for RGIII primarily, Kendall Wright and Ganaway to a lesser extent to play out of their minds.

Ganaway is an underrated pro prospect, but it was Griffin's passing threat that allowed Ganaway the luxury of running against 5 and 7 man fronts with the LBs nearly 10 yards off the LOS.
I completely agree. I think you saw Griifin's inconsistent pocket presence. You saw his natural talent as a thrower but also his unorthodox footwork. You saw his blazing speed but as a scrambler/runner, he's a straight ahead, one speed type who'll have trouble gaining yards like that in the pros. He gets off balance when he tries to elude and sets himself up to take crushing hits. That's what I mean by athlete first. Baylor won but is there any question that Price thoroughly outplayed Griffin?

The first word I would use to describe RGIII is: WORKER.
His physical ability has always been second to his willingness to be a grind. You can see it in the classroom,(he's going to earn a Master's this spring and was going to apply and begin law school in the fall), you saw it in HS.
It was demonstrated in every season Griffin improved as a QB at Baylor.

If I were a GM, my head would be spinning with the opportunity to draft Griffin. He's a smart, disciplined kid who's also a hard worker. Whatever it takes to make that leap from college phenom to pro bowl QB, you'd have to bet RGIII is going to figure it out.

Add to that his physical tools, arm strength, release, mobility and uncanny accuracy, and you're talking about a prospect who had a great chance to be taken 2nd after Luck even if Barkley had declared.

Grif is a prospect whom I feel will see his stock rise as we approach the combine, not take a dip.
Once he goes through the gauntlet of team interviews at the combine, I think teams are going to be trading up to #2 to land his services.

Did Griffin make it look easy at Baylor?? Yes.
But sometimes it's because a player is a flat out beast, and not because he has inherent weaknesses that are being camouflaged by an ideal scheme/weak competition.
I'm not denying he's a top notch prospect, I'm just not near as confident as you that he'll pan out.

kalbears13
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Baylor was garbage before Griffin showed up.

That's the sign of a great prospect - he takes a bad program and turns them into a contender.

Look at Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt, or Cam Newton at Auburn.

Look at David Carr at Fresno State, Tim Couch at Kentucky or Ryan Leaf at Washington State.

bigbuc
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Look at David Carr at Fresno State, Tim Couch at Kentucky or Ryan Leaf at Washington State.

Carr and Couch went to first year teams with no players let alone O lines on them. And Leaf was in Vegas doing hookers and blow when he was drafted. So ha

nepg
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
It's like MB3, which was also a play on the file extension "mp3". There are some bad nicknames for players, for sure, but I think RG3 is legit.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
What kind of 40 time are we looking at for RG3?

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
What kind of 40 time are we looking at for RG3?

I'd guess official between 4.44 and 4.52.

He'll be the 2nd fastest QB in the league after Vick.

If Griffin is really 220#, I think he and Locker have about the same straight line speed.

Spaceboy1
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Rg3 and Locker same straight line speed? LMAo, this is pretty damn funny.

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Rg3 and Locker same straight line speed? LMAo, this is pretty damn funny.

Not if you know anything about Locker's athletic background or watched him in college.

I made the exception for Griffin's added weight. When RGIII was a nationally ranked hurdler in HS, he weighed around 185-190#.

Grif doesn't have that kind of speed anymore, but he's still fast.

If Griffin runs a sub 4.4 electronic at @215-220#, I will be shocked.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Something tells me theres way too much hype surrounding this kid. He just doesn't look like he'll transition into a franchise QB.

You really have to be careful in evaluating these Spread option type QBs. They don't have to make difficult reads with 4 and 5 WRs as options.

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
The most difficult part IMO for most young QBs in the NFL is making an accurate throw, not the read.( Unless your last name is Sanchez).

This isn't the 1980s anymore. Most NFL QBs nowadays have more than just two primary WRs running patterns on passing downs.

All the boo birds who thought Cam Newton would bust epically need to go into a wait-and-see mode on Grif and quit with the proclamations.

I see incredible potential with RGIII. No one said he's a lock to be anything, and that goes for Luck too.

Besides right now we were talking about his measurables.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Something tells me theres way too much hype surrounding this kid. He just doesn't look like he'll transition into a franchise QB.

You really have to be careful in evaluating these Spread option type QBs. They don't have to make difficult reads with 4 and 5 WRs as options.

Ugh, how many times do we have to go through this stupid circular argument.

A "pro style" offense really helped Leinart, Clausen, and Sanchez, didn't it? Matt Barkley's really getting prepared for the pros throwing more screen passes and two man route combos per game than any spread QB, right?

If Griffin fails, it will be for one reason: he doesn't feel pressure that well and tends to shrink/make himself small in a muddied pocket.

There are enough things to like about his game to justify his draft stock, and, while there are concerns, they have nothing to do with his style offense. In fact, I want to say that they have him throwing from under center (straight dropbacks and play action off of power action) a good 5-7 times a game.

College. Offensive. System. Is. Irrelevant. You. Have. To. Project. No. Matter. What. There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. A. Pro. Style. Offense. In. College.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Ugh, how many times do we have to go through this stupid circular argument.

A "pro style" offense really helped Leinart, Clausen, and Sanchez, didn't it? Matt Barkley's really getting prepared for the pros throwing more screen passes and two man route combos per game than any spread QB, right?

If Griffin fails, it will be for one reason: he doesn't feel pressure that well and tends to shrink/make himself small in a muddied pocket.

There are enough things to like about his game to justify his draft stock, and, while there are concerns, they have nothing to do with his style offense. In fact, I want to say that they have him throwing from under center (straight dropbacks and play action off of power action) a good 5-7 times a game.

College. Offensive. System. Is. Irrelevant. You. Have. To. Project. No. Matter. What. There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. A. Pro. Style. Offense. In. College.

You just named 3 guys who failed/struggling in the NFL.

How about Carson Palmer? Matt Stafford? Aaron Rodgers? Eli Manning? Ben Roethlisbuerger? Phillip Rivers? Matt Ryan? The list goes on of Pro Style offensive QBs.

How many spread offense QBs have had success? Cam Newton has this year, but he's been in the league for 1 year. I'll make that evaluation after his 3rd/4th year. It took Alex Smith 6 years to develop. Sam Bradford is struggling. Colt McCoy is looking to be replaced as Cleveland's QB. BTW, Blaine Gabbert is struggling as well.

All I'm saying is, it's hard to find a very successful QB that came from this spread option offense. Tebow is struggling now because teams are knowing how to play and defend that gimmick college football spread option offense that Denver put in because he can't run a pro style offense.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

How about Carson Palmer? Matt Stafford? Aaron Rodgers? Eli Manning? Ben Roethlisbuerger? Phillip Rivers? Matt Ryan? The list goes on of Pro Style offensive QBs.

How many spread offense QBs have had success? Cam Newton has this year, but he's been in the league for 1 year. I'll make that evaluation after his 3rd/4th year. It took Alex Smith 6 years to develop. Sam Bradford is struggling. Colt McCoy is looking to be replaced as Cleveland's QB. BTW, Blaine Gabbert is struggling as well.

All I'm saying is, it's hard to find a very successful QB that came from this spread option offense. Tebow is struggling now because teams are knowing how to play and defend that gimmick college football spread option offense that Denver put in because he can't run a pro style offense.

He will continue to struggle until they can protect him and get him some real weapons, primarily a true #1 WR. Nobody could succeed in that offense currently, nobody.

keylime_5
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Terrelle Pryor was 4.38 at 6'5"/235, so it wouldn't surprise me if olympic quality sprinter Robert Griffin runs a hair under 4.4. He did add some weight but he still looks really freaking fast on the field when he's running full speed.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Funny you mentioned Aaron Rodgers, because NFL teams/draftniks were scared off by the "Tedford system" label. Funny how everyone has forgotten all about that.

A lot of it is determined by how you define "spread." You group Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert, Colt McCoy, and Alex Smith together, but all of these guys ran vastly different offenses. The only similarity is that they lined up in shotgun a lot. And if that's how we're going to define the "spread," then we can go ahead and pull Roethlisberger and Ryan over the "spread" side of the line in terms of their college offense. They can hang out over there with Drew Brees.

Jay Cutler's done pretty well for himself, too, despite being in a quasi spread-option at Vandy.

So are we talking about the spread or the spread-option? Again, highly different schemes.

It's hard to find a successful QB that came from the spread-option offense, because there haven't been many highly-rated spread-option QBs. That style offense hasn't been around long enough to have enough highly-rated QBs to draw a firm conclusion about. I'm sorry, but to cast eternal damnation on every spread-option QB ever because of Pat White and Tim Tebow is incredibly short-sighted.

College offense really shouldn't detract or artificially from your evaluation of a player. I'm not going to knock a guy down because he throws a lot of screens and runs the option, and I'm not going to artificially inflate a guy because he can take a snap from under center and knows how to hand the ball off on power.

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Why when people talk about spread QBs struggling to make the transition to the pros, they almost invariably leave out Drew Brees??

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
When why people talk about spread QBs struggling to make the transition to the pros, they almost invariably leave out Drew Brees??

Probably because a lot of people

a) don't remember him playing in college

and

b) "spread" is a vague, ubiquitous term

It's like the "West Coast Offense" or "Tampa Two." Every team runs principles from both of these schemes, just like every team uses spread principles in their passing game.

My favorite, though, was everyone calling Spurrier's system at UF "spread." He started going more 3-4 wide late in his UF career. But for the most part, that was a 2-back system, his base run play was the lead draw, and his passing game was a deep 5-7 step system built around play action off the lead draw.

Spurrier's "system" at Duke and at UF actually got borrowed from quite a bit from NFL teams.

kalbears13
01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Probably because a lot of people

a) don't remember him playing in college

and

b) "spread" is a vague, ubiquitous term

It's like the "West Coast Offense" or "Tampa Two." Every team runs principles from both of these schemes, just like every team uses spread principles in their passing game.

That's so true... "West Coast Offense" now just means "We Throw A Lot"

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
That's so true... "West Coast Offense" now just means "We Throw A Lot"

I see Green Bay run "Sprint Right Option" (Bill Walsh's favorite play, made famous by "The Catch") out of shotgun with four wide and trips. Is that a West Coast play or is it a Spread play? Does anybody really know anymore?

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
College QB's are succeeding at an ever greater rate as the years go by, why, because they are asked to throw the ball 2 or 3 times as much as a college QB used to throw it.

This gives pro scouts and GM's a very good read on how a QB handles himself when throwing the ball in college no matter what system they come from.

Once the post season starts with the all star games followed by the combine, teams couldn't care less what system you came from, they can see for themselves how you will adjust to their pro game style.

The crucial question always remains mental toughness and how bad a QB wants to learn his profession provided he has a pro arm.

Spread QB's fail, pro style QB's fail, in fact pro style college QB's probably have a higher failure rate among high picks than spread QB's.

RG111 is very close to Luck in intelligence suggesting a strong work ethic and the ability to adjust to the next level. They both have pro arms so all roads for the two of them lead to Rome, namely a very high success factor on paper.
Can they both or one of them fail, of course, there are injuries etc. which can be deciding factors, but on paper these 2 guys appears to be sure things, about as sure as you are ever going to get on draft day.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
College QB's are succeeding at an ever greater rate as the years go by, why, because they are asked to throw the ball 2 or 3 times as much as a college QB used to throw it.

This gives pro scouts and GM's a very good read on how a QB handles himself when throwing the ball in college no matter what system they come from.

Once the post season starts with the all star games followed by the combine, teams couldn't care less what system you came from, they can see for themselves how you will adjust to their pro game style.

The crucial question always remains mental toughness and how bad a QB wants to learn his profession provided he has a pro arm.

Spread QB's fail, pro style QB's fail, in fact pro style college QB's probably have a higher failure rate among high picks than spread QB's.

RG111 is very close to Luck in intelligence suggesting a strong work ethic and the ability to adjust to the next level. They both have pro arms so all roads for the two of them lead to Rome, namely a very high success factor on paper.
Can they both or one of them fail, of course, there are injuries etc. which can be deciding factors, but on paper these 2 guys appears to be sure things, about as sure as you are ever going to get on draft day.

We disagree often, but I completely agree with this post.

Brown Leader
01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
When 80% of your throws are WR screens, I think it makes a difference. ;/ Of course, I'm exaggerating since they opened it up a bit this year, but generally, under Griffin, that's exactly what the Baylor offense was. I do think he has an NFL caliber arm but how many times this season has he actually zipped the ball into a tight window downfield?

MetSox17
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Count me in with the camp that doesn't give Griffin a passing grade in the eyeball test. I really want the kid to succeed, he's great, but something is off. Don't know if it's his size, or the fact that a lot of his deep balls seem to be thrown with a lot of air under them, i have no clue. But something seems weird. He also seems to have a slow delivery in his deeper passes.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Count me in with the camp that doesn't give Griffin a passing grade in the eyeball test. I really want the kid to succeed, he's great, but something is off. Don't know if it's his size, or the fact that a lot of his deep balls seem to be thrown with a lot of air under them, i have no clue. But something seems weird. He also seems to have a slow delivery in his deeper passes.

Luck doesn't throw the prettiest deep ball either.

ElectricEye
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Griffin is probably the best deep ball thrower in the country right now. Consistently puts it in a good position for the wide receiver. He didn't do a good job of that in the Bowl Game, but his ability to go vertical is what really elevated his game this year.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 05:33 PM

True, but he really does have excellent ball placement (a la Rivers). Rarely do you see the WR ever have to break stride or wait on the pass (which I see almost every game from Barkley [and I'm not trying to pick on Barkley because he does throw a lot of nice deep balls, too - I've just seen more games of him than any of the other QBs]).

RG3 is very much a "see it and throw it" type of QB right now, as opposed to playing with great anticipation. And he'll need to improve as an anticipation thrower, because he doesn't have the kind of power arm to make up for it.

He seems to generally understand how routes synch up with drops when he drops back from under center, and that's usually the hardest aspect to teach in regards to the offensive transition. So that's a plus.

Really, the main thing I'm concerned about is shrinking/getting small under pressure, perceiving pressure at times, and holding the ball too long.

keylime_5
01-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Griffin is probably the best deep ball thrower in the country right now. Consistently puts it in a good position for the wide receiver. He didn't do a good job of that in the Bowl Game, but his ability to go vertical is what really elevated his game this year.

really? he didn't connect on them all, but his deep passes in the bowl game even were on the money. one to kendall wright hit him in his right pocket. he is just amazing at those bucket throws.

descendency
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
His bucket throws are great and his screen game is very nice.

His intermediate game is almost non-existent which makes him hard to evaluate.

keylime_5
01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't doubt his ability to make any throws or his timing and sharpness. The big thing about him is his rawness and his ability to run a pro style offense. Might not be as smooth of a transition as it was for Cam Newton, can't expect that from every QB who comes from that run and shoot spread. Using proper footwork on his drops and learning to read and assess a defense are huge parts of being a successful NFL QB and those will take him time.

BuckeyeDan17
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't doubt his ability to make any throws or his timing and sharpness. The big thing about him is his rawness and his ability to run a pro style offense. Might not be as smooth of a transition as it was for Cam Newton, can't expect that from every QB who comes from that run and shoot spread. Using proper footwork on his drops and learning to read and assess a defense are huge parts of being a successful NFL QB and those will take him time.

Very true. With no lockout this year, he'll have an opportunity to get accustomed to his new NFL offense a bit earlier which may or may not help. It couldn't hurt though the earlier the better. right? He's a hard worker, no reason to think he won't take footwork and the nuances lightly. I think he'll hit the filmroom hard and put in more than enough work to make himself translate well. That's just me though. We'll see.

FUNBUNCHER
01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Why is RGIII taking forever to declare??

I can't believe there's one person inside or outside the Baylor program who's telling him he should return to school.
You don't defer the NFL for a year or 2 because you want to start law school, or play for a team that will be even worse next season.

If his goal is to play in the NFL, the time to go is NOW.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2012, 10:16 PM
He has until the 15th, why not wait? He hosted 7 sports agents this week, he is leaving, no need to announce it.

FUNBUNCHER
01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Any early word yet??

JRTPlaya21
01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
RG3 has been in the draft......do you guys keep up with this stuff??

FUNBUNCHER
01-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Oops.lol......