PDA

View Full Version : So do you still want an 18 game schedule?

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I've never approved of this idea for many various reason. Another to add to the list is that it's time to get to the juicy stuff: the playoffs. Would you really want two more weeks of watching cellar-dweller teams struggle? And I think I've had enough regular season record breaking mania for one year.

jrdrylie
01-02-2012, 02:41 AM
I never wanted it. What makes the NFL so much better than the other leagues is that it has a short regular season.

nepg
01-02-2012, 02:46 AM
never wanted it. don't think anyone here did.

Ness
01-02-2012, 03:03 AM
I remember a few people wanting it. And there was a huge debate about it a while ago.

kalbears13
01-02-2012, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't mind a 18 game season but I know the transition would be more trouble than what it would be worth (records, contracts and just plain *****ing and moaning)

Bengalsrz
01-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Moving to an 18 game season was never a good idea, but you can especially feel that now that its playoff time and we're all ready for some top quality football games.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
01-02-2012, 07:48 AM
More games means more injuries. And more injuries means more *gulp* Tyler Palko.

Beano
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
As a Rams fan 16 games are more than enough thanks.

killxswitch
01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
What do you mean "still"? Most people don't want one and this season has done nothing to change that.

descendency
01-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Rex Ryan does.

PackerLegend
01-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Wouldnt really care but I dont want it. 16 games seems to be pretty perfect and im ready for the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
01-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah I still want it. 2 more games, add a bye week.

Get rid of 2 preseason games. I think it's doable. I'm tired of paying full price for preseason games and not being able to sell them for more than 20 bucks. It's bs.

At least if we get rid of 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games I can sell those tickets and get back face value. The preseason kills the season ticket holder.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Doesn't matter what we want. The NFL still wants it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

"Let them hate us so long as they pay us."
- The NFL's opinion on fans.

Splat
01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Didn't and still don't.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
16 game regular season is perfectly fine.

I am actually getting tired of regular season games and feel that the postseason can't come soon enough.

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Yes

We still got the lame-ass preseason x4.

Junk 2 of those.

The schedule becomes more fair when it isn't 37.5% from your division. It would be 33.3%
TEN almost backed into a WC with a weak schedule and just 9 wins.

Take 1 Bye from each Conference.

Add another WC to each.

Increases the competition late in the year.

The NFL excels due to all the marbles factor in the PLAYOFFS!?
This gives you 2 more of those games with good teams that you say you want.

CDCB14
01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
16 game regular season is perfectly fine.

I am actually getting tired of regular season games and feel that the postseason can't come soon enough.

Agreed.

BBD I'm shocked you actually want 18 games. With the rate at which players get hurt and milk injuries because everyone in today's game is a diva, the game would be almost unbearable.

If you can't prove your good enough to be in the playoffs after 16 games, you shouldn't be. If fans don't like pre-season games, don't go to them or pay for the tickets.

16 games is perfect.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Also increases the injuries.

Do you want to watch Week 18 and Week 19 games full of backups and special teamers starting for injured guys? Doesn't that just move the preseason games to the end of the regular season, in a way?

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Also increases the injuries.

Do you want to watch Week 18 and Week 19 games full of backups and special teamers starting for injured guys? Doesn't that just move the preseason games to the end of the regular season, in a way?

Most all of us play fantasy football. The injuries and backups pop up at any time.

Preseason games are COMPLETE garbage. There are garbage regular season games and are going to happen no matter what. The goal is to minimize them.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Most all of us play fantasy football. The injuries and backups pop up at any time.

Preseason games are COMPLETE garbage. There are garbage regular season games and are going to happen no matter what. The goal is to minimize them.

You minimize garbage regular season games by not playing as many of them, thereby reducing injuries and allowing starters to play the important regular season games.

At least with preseason, you go into it knowing what it is: irrelevant football designed solely to evaluate the roster and to extend training camp. If you don't want to watch that, then don't. I'd rather have that be clearly designated as "preseason" than to be force-fed preseason games masquerading as late-season regular season games, which is what an 18 game schedule would give us.

And speak for yourself re: fantasy football; I personally think it's one of the worst things to ever happen to sports.

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
People are force-fed. Or at least they take the cash from them either way.

So why not take the regular season back to 14 games or 12 games?

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
What do you mean "still"? Most people don't want one and this season has done nothing to change that.

Not according to what the NFL believes. They've been saying for the last couple of years that fans want more football.

And it's hard to not believe them even here with a lot of the pushing for 18 more games even on this site.

Matthew Jones
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
"Still" want an 18 game schedule? Never wanted one to begin with.

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes

We still got the lame-ass preseason x4.

Junk 2 of those.

The schedule becomes more fair when it isn't 37.5% from your division. It would be 33.3%
TEN almost backed into a WC with a weak schedule and just 9 wins.

Take 1 Bye from each Conference.

Add another WC to each.

The NFL excels due to all the marbles factor in the PLAYOFFS!?
This gives you 2 more of those games with good teams that you say you want.

The preseason games aren't the ones that actually count for something. There really isn't any incentive to watch those. Instead of watching 16 regular season games, you now have to watch 18 before you get to the postseason. Enough is enough.

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Increasing the season by 12.5% isn't a lot.

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Dude, who the hell cares about Fantasy Football in this regard? It's not important to the grand scheme of things regarding your team winning a championship. A championship in reality. The NFL doesn't base it's operations around fantasy football.

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Increasing the season by 12.5% isn't a lot.

First it's 18 games, then it will be pushing for 20.

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 02:44 PM
NBA Grand Opening

Lakers vs. Bulls
11 million viewers

Bears vs. Packers
Luke McCown. 12 point spread. GB no longer undefeated.
20 million viewers

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Dude, who the hell cares about Fantasy Football in this regard? It's not important to the grand scheme of things regarding your team winning a championship. A championship in reality. The NFL doesn't base it's operations around fantasy football.
You guys misinterpreted. He was trying to say late in the season teams are being cobbled together due to injuries.
I was pointing to how important players that were drafted high in fantasy can be injured in September too.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
People are force-fed. Or at least they take the cash from them either way.

So why not take the regular season back to 14 games or 12 games?

14 games would actually make the NFL a better product, imho.

But 16 is OK. Pushing it to 18 is just criminal. It's too violent and taxing a sport to play that many games. Playing 16 is bad enough.

And my point regarding fantasy football was, that you shouldn't assume that "most" people play it. Some people actively *hate* it.

ViperVisor
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
You are mostly just arguing from feeling.

16 is OK but 12.5% more is criminal? Doesn't make sense.

You have to balance the football purity with product sell-ability.
NOBODY is buying the trash preseason. Kill 2 and go with 18 reg season.

The slippery slope to 20 is weaksauce unless someone wants to argue for having no preseason which is something I haven't heard from anybody.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 09:15 AM
A longer season would be great, I'll always take more games. However, 18 games would be ridiculous because of health issues. We have already seen this year, Houston, Chicago, Indy, Pittsburgh and Kansas City seasons ruined by injuries to their QB's, with Houston and Pittsburgh likely done, one and out in the playoffs. Saying you are just replacing exhibition games is absurd. The regulars barely play in the exhibition games and the intensity doesn't approach a regular season game.
Add 2 more games, and the playoffs might just become a farce with only 2 or 3 teams healthy enough to compete for the championship. That's not the NFL I want to see.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:06 AM

The slippery slope to 20 is weaksauce unless someone wants to argue for having no preseason which is something I haven't heard from anybody.

Your use of 12.5% is disingenuous. Adding 2 games at the end of the season, when the players bodies are run down and more prone to injury, is a bad idea. You can't minimize it by saying "it's only 12.5% more football". I could say "well then 12.5% isn't that much football, especially at the end of the season when so many good players are already hurt and with the risk of injury so much higher. So it's not worth it just for a measly 12.5% more football".

Ness
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM

Two more weeks of the Jaguars and Rams playing? Yeah no thanks. Don't base it on percentages. I think most people want the playoffs to start already. And no one is forcing you to watch the preseason games. But the games that actually count for something are going to have to be watched for various reasons.

DeathbyStat
01-04-2012, 06:38 AM
guys can't make it through a full season healthy with 16 games

Byrd430
01-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Am I foolish enough to suggest just dropping 2 preseason games and keeping the 16-game schedule? Would it be too far-fetched to suggest NFL teams get an extra bye-week in the regular 16-game season anyway?

The extra NFL week (16 games, 18 weeks) would help the NFL offset the loss of $$$ due to losing the two preseason games. The second bye-week combined with 2 fewer preseason games would also help minimize injuries.

DraftSavant
01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
guys can't make it through a full season healthy with 16 games

I don't even really care about health. I watched so many ****** games this year, I was more than happy when Week 17 finally got here.

The NFL product this year was, for the most part, really crappy this season. Like, the worst I can remember in a long time. A few guys threw for a billion yards, there was a ******** of mediocre/bad teams, and blowouts on primetime were a regular occurrence.

That's how I'll remember 2011.

noondog
01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like the 4 game preseason sched as its a good amount of time to get amped up for the regular season and get an idea of how the rookies games might translate to the pros.

18 game regular season sched will likely lead to shorter careers for most as a result of wear and tear, which is good for no one.

ViperVisor
01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
You guys are shooting the breeze, I am stating facts.

People who pay out the ass for season ticks DO NOT WANT to pay for preseason garbage.

People appear to not have their fill of football over 16 games.

NFL on Fox Posts Highest Rating Since 1995 & Ties 2010 As Most-Watched Season Ever (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/01/04/nfl-on-fox-posts-highest-rating-since-1995-ties-2010-as-most-watched-season-ever/115332/)
And like what was said the wide view of this season was remarkable passing numbers but not really a lot of intrigue down the stretch.

FOX's idiot chuckle-fest pregame show is watched by 5.1 million viewers.

12.9 million watch The OT and ranks as the No. 22 show on television.

killxswitch
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I remember multiple polls back when this was a national issue and the overwhelming majority of respondents said they didn't want an 18 game schedule.

Jvig43
01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't get the hate for preseason games. I love the preseason, I love watching draft picks, free agents, the new guys get in there and play. I love seeing how people are progressing, and I could give a **** less about season ticket holders paying full price for preseason games because they ******* knew going into that purchase thats what was going to happen. If theyre mad they only have themselves to blame about the purchase, but I mean hey let's add on another two games risking more injury to your team come playoffs because people don't like the preseason.

vikes_28
01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm with the people who say can two preseason games and add two regular season games. Also add another bye week. If that wasn't the case, then I'm totally against an 18 game season.

Ness
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM

People who pay out the ass for season ticks DO NOT WANT to pay for preseason garbage.

NFL on Fox Posts Highest Rating Since 1995 & Ties 2010 As Most-Watched Season Ever (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/01/04/nfl-on-fox-posts-highest-rating-since-1995-ties-2010-as-most-watched-season-ever/115332/)
And like what was said the wide view of this season was remarkable passing numbers but not really a lot of intrigue down the stretch.

And players don't want to play 18 regular season games too. That's a fact as well. Let's stop worrying about the money aspect of it. If the NFL is serious about the safety of it's players they won't extend the regular season.

ElectricEye
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't get the hate for preseason games. I love the preseason, I love watching draft picks, free agents, the new guys get in there and play. I love seeing how people are progressing, and I could give a **** less about season ticket holders paying full price for preseason games because they ******* knew going into that purchase thats what was going to happen. If theyre mad they only have themselves to blame about the purchase, but I mean hey let's add on another two games risking more injury to your team come playoffs because people don't like the preseason.

Yeah, I'm totally, totally with you about this. Preseason football is really fun to watch from a talent evaluation perspective. Fans can feel free to not give a **** about it if they want to, because it's not really for them anyway....but I want to see who is making the cut and who can potentially catch on and be relevant players. The thing about season ticket holders sucks, I guess...but as someone who is on the waiting list for season tickets for my team, yeah, I know what I'm getting into.

As far as 18 games goes, the product feels watered down enough as it is between the rule changes and how many teams make the playoffs. 18 games is just going to make that worse.

....and bringing up fantasy football as a reason for the NFL to do anything makes me really, really sad. I can't believe people take things like that into consideration when trying to mess with the formula. That's just...yeah, really really crappy.

Giantsfan1080
01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Of course people on this site like preseason football. I also love it but the overwhelming majority of NFL fans couldn't give a ****.

ViperVisor
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM
And players don't want to play 18 regular season games too. That's a fact as well. Let's stop worrying about the money aspect of it. If the NFL is serious about the safety of it's players they won't extend the regular season.

The NFL is half serious if they were the league would shut down.

The players left it as a bargaining chip. They were in no mood to be seen as bending after they were the ones locked out. When it comes up again the big star player will see the 18 game option and take it so when they sign that last big contract it will be that, 2 extra game checks in mind, bigger.

nrk
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
You guys misinterpreted. He was trying to say late in the season teams are being cobbled together due to injuries.
I was pointing to how important players that were drafted high in fantasy can be injured in September too.

Yes, people get hurt during all times of the year. Even during the off-season. However the players have a hard enough time as it is to finish a season, adding more games won't help.

I'd be against a 6% increase. The percentage really is irrelevant. A line has to be drawn at some point and the NFL season is perfect as is. There are already garbage games at the end of the season, adding more games really isn't necessary.

It seems like some people don't understand what preseason is for.

People not wanting to pay for preseason tickets is a different business issue that can be resolved completely without changing the length of the season.

"People appear to not have their fill of football over 16 games." - That certainly is not a fact. The vote for extending the season is being crushed on these forums. The polls I saw on ESPN a while ago were the same way.

The amount of people who watch and the amount of people who want more NFL aren't the same thing. As I said, the vote is overwhelmingly against the idea on these forums.

Nice "facts" though.

The only changes I'd support is adding another bye week and possibly reducing the preseason to 3 games.

Basileus777
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I feel bad for people having to pay awful prices for preseason tickets, but that's a completely separate issue from an 18 game schedule. And the vast majority of the NFL's audience can safely ignore preseason if they so desire.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
They'd probably just raise season ticket prices anyway. After all, you'd be getting more regular season games.

RagingColt
01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
16 games is fine. It's worse enough to watch a 2-13 team play vs a 4-11 team in week 17. Who wants to watch a 2-15 team play vs one with a 4-13 record? For every relevant game in a potential week 20, think you'd end up with three cellar dweller games.

Ness
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
The NFL is half serious if they were the league would shut down.

The players left it as a bargaining chip. They were in no mood to be seen as bending after they were the ones locked out. When it comes up again the big star player will see the 18 game option and take it so when they sign that last big contract it will be that, 2 extra game checks in mind, bigger.

Or players genuinely don't want an 18 game schedule because the toll it takes on their bodies.

And having two extra games I don't think its going to get you more money. The money through a player's salary is just going to be spread out through 18 games instead of 16 for that year. You don't magically get more money because the season is longer. It's just distributed differently. You are still getting the same amount at the end of the season though.