PDA

View Full Version : Most Dangerous Team Going Into the Playoffs

Razor
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
The question is simple: Who do you think is the most dangerous team going into the playoffs? I've kept out the number one seeds in each conference.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Giants. They finally have all three pass rushers healthy, and it showed last night. I think they have one of the best receiver groups in the NFL and Manning is playing at a high level this year.

SuperPacker
01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Saints or Giants.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
The question is simple: Who do you think is the most dangerous team going into the playoffs? I've kept out the number one seeds in each conference.

I agree, the Giants for sure, and I do NOT LIKE the probability of facing them coming off our bye.

Razor
01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
What do you mean "you've kept out'? Poll coming...?
I agree, the Giants for sure, and I do NOT LIKE the probability of facing them coming off our bye.

Poll is up ;) I couldn't add more than ten options in the poll so it seemed natural to not consider the number one seeds here...

Cudders
01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Prisoners of the moment.

I don't trust the Giants so long as Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell are their coordinators. I just don't. This team can't be confused for the 2007 Giants because the 2007 Giants were a complete team. This team can't run the ball or cover, two things that Super Bowl team did exceptionally well.

Basically, if Eli or the defensive line doesn't play at a superhuman level for the duration of playoffs, this team is toast.

(Which, by the way, is a compliment to guys like Eli and JPP. I've always thought Eli has been criminally underrated and he has carried this team to a postseason berth. And without the pressure generated by the front four, I shudder to think how much worse their back end would be.)

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Prisoners of the moment.

I don't trust the Giants so long as Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell are their coordinators. I just don't. This team can't be confused for the 2007 Giants because the 2007 Giants were a complete team. This team can't run the ball or cover, two things that Super Bowl team did exceptionally well.
How many 1st round picks to the Giants have back there in the D-backfield?
With perhaps the NFL's best pass-rushing D-line, they should be able to cover.

This team is confident and they should be. Last night wasn't even close.

The head coach and QB have a rung under their belt, and their top 2 RBs and 2 WRs are healthy at the right time.

They are legit. I see 4 teams with a chance in the NFL, in this order:
Green Bay
New Orleans
New York
San Francisco

But they all have a chance to go to XLVI.... if the Giants and Saints met, where would it be? That's huge IMO.

Cudders
01-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Being a first-rounder doesn't equate to being productive.

Regardless, the problem with their defensive backfield isn't talent. It's scheme. They've got corners that excel in press man situations. They're built to get their hands on their receiver at the line, re-route them, disrupt offensive timing, and give their defensive line that extra split-second to make the play. In reality, they run way too much soft man and zone concepts. Think trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

What about their thirteen point loss to the Washington Redskins a mere two weeks ago? Or their total emasculation at the hands of the Saints about a month ago?

The head coach and QB have a rung under their belt, and their top 2 RBs and 2 WRs are healthy at the right time.

But their offensive line is nowhere near as capable as 2007's unit and their running backs haven't produced. We're talking about one of the absolute worst ground games in the NFL this year.

Green Bay
New Orleans
New York
San Francisco

I wouldn't argue with that order in the NFC. But the question was the most dangerous, scariest team entering the playoffs. I don't see any reason to favor the Giants over the Saints in that regard.

Look, I'm not saying the Giants are incapable of winning a single game or anything. Because if Eli and the defensive line continues playing at their elevated level, it honestly wouldn't surprise me. But this is a very flawed team. And ignoring that fact is selective memory at its finest.

But they all have a chance to go to XLVI.... if the Giants and Saints met, where would it be? That's huge IMO.

It would be in New Orleans.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
As a Giants-fan, I can truly say that we are not the most dangerous team heading into the playoffs. Can we make some noise if things break the right way for us? Yeah, I think so. But are we THE most dangerous team? No.

The Saints to me look like the most dangerous team out of the bunch. That offense is damn near unstoppable, So any team that wants to beat them has to be prepared to score around 35 points to have a chance. I don't think the Lions will be able to do that in the superdome, and I certainly don't trust Alex Smith to do that in the divisional round.

The Packers certainly can beat them in the NFC championship, but they are the only team I would trust to beat NO more often than not. If they meet in the NFC championship game, it's going to be a game for the ages!

tjsunstein
01-02-2012, 09:38 AM
It has to be the Saints, #1 seeds included.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Green Bay
New Orleans
New York
San Francisco

What does that even matter? Corey Webster is their best CB and he was a 2nd round pick.

Rosebud
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
The Saints, especially as a giants fan because I'd rather head into Lambeau for a re-match with the Packers than have to go to the Superdome again. The Saints have the best defense of the teams with a great QB and passing game while also having a consistent D and running game. They're the most complete team in the playoffs.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-02-2012, 10:11 AM
We are dangerous! I think...

Big Props to Perry Fewell! He has simplified things in the secondary. Perhaps the Spags rumors finally yielded a change. This is the defense we should have played from the start of the season.

Rosebud
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
We are dangerous! I think...

Big Props to Perry Fewell! He has simplified things in the secondary. Perhaps the Spags rumors finally yielded a change. This is the defense we should have played from the start of the season.

I still need to watch last night game, but even if Fewell calls every game like he did against Vick and Brady I still think the Saints are way more dangerous.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I still need to watch last night game, but even if Fewell calls every game like he did against Vick and Brady I still think the Saints are way more dangerous.

I'd rather play the packers than the Saints. I'd happily sign for going to GB than going to that DOOM DOME!

I want all these doom teams to come out and play in bad dec. weather! I hope we have a snow storm next week.

asdf1223
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM
The Philadelphia Ea.. Oh wait.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd rather play the packers than the Saints. I'd happily sign for going to GB than going to that DOOM DOME!

I want all these doom teams to come out and play in bad dec. weather! I hope we have a snow storm next week.

My biggest wish is that we avoid going to the Superdome in the playoffs. We can't end up there before the NFCCG I believe, but if we even come that far(doubtful), it will almost certainly be the end of the line for us. We suck against the saints, especially in the Superdome.

Jughead10
01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Where is the thread where JBCX promised to leave if the Giants win a playoff game? Someone needs to bump that. Added incentive for a win.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Where is the thread where JBCX promised to leave if the Giants win a playoff game? Someone needs to bump that. Added incentive for a win.

Never in my life have I wanted the Giants to win more.

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50154

If you're wrong....will you leave the forums?

yes.

I will request that my account is deleted and I will never return.

Malaka
01-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Saints are toast if they play outside the dome. Packers vs. Saints in Lambeau is an easy win for GB, but in the Super Dome (which won't happen, this year at least) I see a really close high powered game which the Saints have a definite possibility of winning.

The Saints are the most complete team in the NFC... in a dome. I'll still take the Packers over them. But I voted Giants because I am a homer and the 2007 nostalgia is seriously poisoning my judgement :)

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50154

We should have got him to agree to that right after his "The Redskins are going to win the Superbowl" thread. We'd have been rid of him already.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
The Giants are the worst team in the playoffs alongside the Broncos. They were the worst team in the 2007 playoffs as well, but were the beneficiaries of some very good fortune.

Unfortunately, lightning doesn't strike twice. They will be one-and-done in the playoffs, or at the very best, two-and-done.

Apart from their defensive line, their defense is atrocious (especially their linebackers and cornerbacks).

Eli Manning has no running game to lean on, so a competent defensive coordinator will sell out to play the pass and drop guys into coverage and shut Eli down, which is what the Redskins and Eagles did in blowout victories over the Giants recently.

Calling the Giants the "most dangerous team" in the playoffs is laughable. The Falcons and Lions (let alone the Packers and Saints) are more dangerous than the Giants.

Larry
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Saints, hottest team heading into the postseason.

Rosebud
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
The Giants are the worst team in the playoffs alongside the Broncos. They were the worst team in the 2007 playoffs as well, but were the beneficiaries of some very good fortune.

Unfortunately, lightning doesn't strike twice. They will be one-and-done in the playoffs, or at the very best, two-and-done.

Apart from their defensive line, their defense is atrocious (especially their linebackers and cornerbacks).

Eli Manning has no running game to lean on, so a competent defensive coordinator will sell out to play the pass and drop guys into coverage and shut Eli down, which is what the Redskins and Eagles did in blowout victories over the Giants recently.

Calling the Giants the "most dangerous team" in the playoffs is laughable. The Falcons and Lions (let alone the Packers and Saints) are more dangerous than the Giants.

I do wish that the Giants' linebackers were as good as the studs playing for Atlanta and Detroit...

EDIT: BTW is Lightening never strikes twice the dumbest expression ever or just in the top 10?

BaLLiN
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Prisoners of the moment.

Basically, if Eli or the defensive line doesn't play at a superhuman level for the duration of playoffs, this team is toast.

(Which, by the way, is a compliment to guys like Eli and JPP. I've always thought Eli has been criminally underrated and he has carried this team to a postseason berth. And without the pressure generated by the front four, I shudder to think how much worse their back end would be.)

The sad thing is that Perry has gotten much better (its sad because it took so long and it mightve saved his job :/). He did simplify the defense, but he also is becoming much more inventive with his blitzes and especially because he's been sending blitzes in the A gap which sometimes takes away easy throws to the middle. I think you are mistaken about the 2007 Giants, they were pretty bad in coverage as well, it was just their pressure was great.

Regarding Killdrive, yes he isn't the greatest, but even though I personally dislike him I can say that he has to be pretty darn good. His route combinations are great, and once the receivers got used to them (they still kindof are), you see the success that can happen with a great quarterback. The run game is not just playcall (draws *facepalm*) our OL is not very good, which is why many of us have been calling for Baas to be benched in favor of Petrus moving to guard and Boothe moving to center which would put a very very good run blocker on the line. Our 2007 team wasn't even remotely close to the passing team we are now, so our losses in the run game have given way to leaps and bounds in the pass game.

It has to be the Saints, #1 seeds included.

I agree, as many have said, they are the most balanced offensively. The best thing for everyone in the playoffs is them losing, because i think it is their championship to lose at the moment.

Razor
01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
We should have got him to agree to that right after his "The Redskins are going to win the Superbowl" thread. We'd have been rid of him already.

I'd like to keep him around, I'm amused by his idiocy.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I do wish that the Giants' linebackers were as good as the studs playing for Atlanta and Detroit...

EDIT: BTW is Lightening never strikes twice the dumbest expression ever or just in the top 10?

As cliche as the expression is, it happens to be perfectly applicable to this situation. The 2007 Giants are easily the worst Super Bowl winning team in the history of the game. Their regular season passer rating differential and point differential are both the worst of any Super Bowl winner. They were a complete fluke, and Giants fans should be happy for them, but that type of severely flawed, extremely fortunate team will likely never win a Super Bowl again.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
What does that even matter? Corey Webster is their best CB and he was a 2nd round pick.
So their DBs are 3 1st round picks, and Webster?
Don't wanna hear excuses that their DBs have no talent.

That's a talented defense and a great front 4. They should be a top-5 defense to go with the Eli King & the Salsa King.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM

That's a talented defense and a great front 4. They should be a top-5 defense to go with the Eli King & the Salsa King.

Just because a player is a first round pick does not mean he is necessarily a good player.

Antrell Rolle was a high first round pick but he's horrible in coverage. Aaron Ross is easily burnt as well. Deon Grant is a high first round pick but he's old and slow. Kenny Phillips and Corey Webster are their two above-average player in the secondary, and neither is elite.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Cool, they have talent I fail to see how that has any meaning if talent doesn't produce. Their best player Justin Tuck wasn't a 1st round pick either.

MidwayMonster31
01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Atlanta might be the hottest team going in, so I'll go with them. They can run, they have two highly talented receivers and the secondary improved with Grimes returning.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Our Dbs have talent, it's the god damn scheme that keeps changing due to stupid DC hirings. One thing I can't stand from Coughlin.

Tim Lewis, Spags, Bill Sheridan, Perry Fewell..

Maybe we can hire a good DC for once and actually keep him longer. This would allow us to develop our players better.

BaLLiN
01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Just because a player is a first round pick does not mean he is necessarily a good player.

Antrell Rolle was a high first round pick but he's horrible in coverage. Aaron Ross is easily burnt as well. Deon Grant is a high first round pick but he's old and slow. Kenny Phillips and Corey Webster are their two above-average player in the secondary, and neither is elite.

dude, grant was drafted in the second round...and you are wrong about rolle, but absolutely right about ross (which anyone could see so don't get too smug about being right on that).

JBCX
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
dude, grant was drafted in the second round...and you are wrong about rolle, but absolutely right about ross (which anyone could see so don't get too smug about being right on that).

If you don't see Rolle as a large part of the secondary struggles, or see him getting toasted regularly, you are blind.

Flyboy
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Atlanta might be the hottest team going in, so I'll go with them. They can run, they have two highly talented receivers and the secondary improved with Grimes returning.

The same Atlanta team that got smoked on Monday Night Football two Monday's ago?

Yeeeeah.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
The same Atlanta team that got smoked on Monday Night Football two Monday's ago?

Yeeeeah.

The Giants got smoked on Monday Night Football by the Saints as well, and yet people are talking about them as the "hot team".

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
As cliche as the expression is, it happens to be perfectly applicable to this situation. The 2007 Giants are easily the worst Super Bowl winning team in the history of the game. Their regular season passer rating differential and point differential are both the worst of any Super Bowl winner. They were a complete fluke, and Giants fans should be happy for them, but that type of severely flawed, extremely fortunate team will likely never win a Super Bowl again.

Hell naw!! Its annoyingly obvious you got a HUGE bias against the Giants but even you can't believe some of the crap that you post. If we have to crown someone as a bad SB winner I would put the Colts ahead of the Giants.

PoopSandwich
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Did you happen to miss the Saints Falcons game?

JBCX
01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Hell naw!! Its annoyingly obvious you got a HUGE bias against the Giants but even you can't believe some of the crap that you post. If we have to crown someone as a bad SB winner I would put the Colts ahead of the Giants.

Colts had a Hall of Fame QB in 2006 that was long overdue for a Super Bowl victory. Eli Manning is slightly above-average QB, at best, and was absolutely god-awful in 2007 when he wasn't lobbing it up in the air to Plaxico Buress.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Colts had a Hall of Fame QB in 2006 that was long overdue for a Super Bowl victory. Eli Manning is slightly above-average QB, at best, and was absolutely god-awful in 2007 when he wasn't lobbing it up in the air to Plaxico Buress.

Yeah, I totally agree. Kolb is much better.

jrdrylie
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I think the Saints will be the team to come out of the NFC. But they need to be worried about another first round exit. I think Detroit-New Orleans may be the best first round game. Detroit matches up with them very well.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I think the Saints will be the team to come out of the NFC. But they need to be worried about another first round exit. I think Detroit-New Orleans may be the best first round game. Detroit matches up with them very well.
I don't agree..... I can't see the Lions ever stopping Brees, especially in that dome.
I think the Saints should dress 6 WRs and not even suit up a punter.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Atlanta might be the hottest team going in, so I'll go with them..
What? They won one in a row now heading in.....
Were you in a coma week 16?

jrdrylie
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't agree..... I can't see the Lions ever stopping Brees, especially in that dome.
I think the Saints should dress 6 WRs and not even suit up a punter.

I'm not saying Detroit will stop Brees. But I also don't think the Saints will stop the Lions. I think it will be really high scoring.

Hines
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't think they are the most dangerous team, especially after losing Mendenhall, but the Steelers could be the team to beat in the AFC once again. They know how to win in the playoffs. Their secondary has played extremely well. LaMarr Woodley is going to come back healthy(hopefully). Plus, we still have Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers offense has potential to score many, many points against anyone in the AFC. Whether they do it or not is debatable.

That said, I'll go with the Saints. I think they beat the Packers if they were to meet in the NFCCG.

Bulldogs
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Sarcasm? I hope not, because Curtis Lofton and Sean Weatherspoon are two of the better young linebackers in the NFL.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Losing Mendenhall really hurts.
Except when he fumbles.

Hines
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Losing Mendenhall really hurts.
Except when he fumbles.

He has fumbled 5 times in 613 carries over the past two season including the playoffs. His "fumble" issues are overblown IMO.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I went with the Niners. Everyone is overlooking them but they're one of the few teams with a defense. And they have a great coach. Yea, Alex Smith isn't anything special but neither is Joe Flacco and yet people always expect the Ravens to do damage

Rosebud
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM

That makes sense. Because those things have everything to do with which team plays the best in the playoffs.

Should be, but Fewell has done terrible most of the season.

Why do you like to continual state falsehoods? Rolle is in no way horrible in coverage, that's almost as dumb as arguing that JPP is a mediocre pass rusher.

Cool, they have talent I fail to see how that has any meaning if talent doesn't produce. Their best player Justin Tuck wasn't a 1st round pick either.

JPP has been our best defensive player by a wide margin this season and the rest of the talent isn't delivering due to ****** playcalling.

Yeah, I totally agree. Kolb is much better.

He's like Eli if Eli didn't have any of that ***** ass arm strength, pocket presence, accuracy down the field, clutchness and command of an offense.

Sarcasm? I hope not, because Curtis Lofton and Sean Weatherspoon are two of the better young linebackers in the NFL.

I meant to say LBs and DBs, Spoon and Lofton are awesome and all, but Boley and Jacquain aren't far behind and our secondary has a lot more pure talent.

gpngc
01-03-2012, 12:30 AM
A few quick points:

Most importantly, in the postseason, ALL THAT MATTERS IS HOW YOU PLAY ON THAT DAY. There is no "is." He "is" this or "is" that. Fewell sucks. Brees "is" elite. Anything can and will happen. There's a saying for athletes: you're only as good as your next game. I know it goes without saying but past performance does not necesarily indicate future success. Sure, Fewell's defense has had its share of struggles this season, but they've also gone through some pretty impressive stretches. That's the beauty of the game - the chess match, the execution - it all matters. There is no "is" in a consistent, non-fluid, quantifiable sense. Drew Brees has shown that he can play QB at an extremely high level, but that doesn't mean he will.

My points:

-The Saints defense can play like **** sometimes. Roman Harper's had a better year, but he's a guy a QB can really pick on for big plays. Same goes for Robinson and even Porter at signs. And their run defense isn't that strong either. And for as good as Drew Brees can be, the Rams tape from this year might be helpful to a team that can knock him down a bit. I'm thinking about the Lions or Giants. And he hasn't in a while, but he can throw picks.

-Matt Stafford has the ability to play at a level similar to that of Aaron Rodgers last postseason. This has become evident especially the last few weeks. With Kevin Smith giving them just a hint of a running game, that offense has the potential every week to put up 50. Detroit can also force turnovers and rush the passer a little bit. They also have nothing to lose and can play the 'no one believes in us' card as 10 point dogs against the big bad Saints in NOLA.

-As for the Giants, if they play the way they did last night, they WILL beat everyone and do 2007 all over again. We know they CAN, but will they? That's why we watch. Because of this, they're insanely dangerous. That lockerroom is a weird bunch but when they fly around and all play hard, they are as good as any team in the NFL.

So I say DET and NYG as most dangerous.

In the AFC, I'd be surprised with any other AFCCG than BAL-NE. I do expect DEN to shock PIT though.

Razor
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Bump...

The Giants look pretty damn dangerous right about now..

49erNation85
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
49ers defense = Superbowl bound !!

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Bump...

The Giants look pretty damn dangerous right about now..
Once again, I won. Glad you made the voting public.

Again, the casual, uneducated, immature fan just often looks at the records. Of the regular season.

The savvy, educated ones look at the players, the talent, the momentum, and the matchups. And they don't talk bullschit smack, and the profit from what they see unobjectively.

MetSox you *****, how do you always handle failure? You have a decade plus of being used to it, (plus your own pathetic **** life).
We're not used to dealing with like you are. haha
I thought it was all Favre's fault back in the day for us.

CashmoneyDrew
01-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Proud that I can say I honestly made this vote before the playoff results. :)