vidae
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
More breaking news! HOOORAAAAY!

Razor
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Is it official yet?

Crazy_Chris
01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
they are reporting it on NFL network... So It seems official.

Complex
Yes he is not on the competition committee. His son still with the colts?

vidae
It is breaking news on NFLN, so it is official.

falloutboy14
Most recent rumor I've heard is that both Polians and Caldwell are out.

Razor
Somewhere, BB is doing cartwheels....

vidae
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I've heard that too, but the only "official" firing I've seen is the elder Polian. Here is to hoping that both are gone though for my Colts brothas. I can stop hating the Colts as much as I do now!

SuperPacker
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Very happy Polian is gone but what about everyone else?

AntoinCD
I've prayed to Tebow about this for years

vidae
I'm sure Caldwell is going to be let go, but I haven't seen anything on it yet.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
But he won't be able to pick Andrew Luck!

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
A great day not only for Colts fans but the league in general

Hopefully the Colts hire the Ron Paul of football and he tries to repeal all the garbage passing rules and go back to the good ol' days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Most recent rumor I've heard is that both Polians and Caldwell are out.
Yep, saw that on the ESPN ticker right now during one of these bowl games on the ESPNU networks....

Vewwwy intawesting news.

ElectricEye
01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
rHJoj9IqeKg

DoughBoy
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
This is good news for all 32 teams.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
So who takes over as head coach in Indy now?
Peyton Manning?

Or Archie?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Jeff Fisher come on down

descendency
Mort: Everyone was fired.

BeerBaron
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/961-aww-yeah.jpg

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

GET THE **** OUT OF FOOTBALL YOU OLD **** SMEARED PIECE OF FILTH!! I HOPE YOUR FINESSE STYLE OF PLAY KEEPS YOU COMPANY DURING THE ETERNITY YOU WILL SPEND IN THE FIERY PITS OF FOOTBALL HELL FOR THE DAMAGE YOU HAVE DONE TO THE SPORT.

**** YOU BILL POLIAN AND EAT A DICK.

Phew. Good news. Good news indeed.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
we can hope, but given that (if i remember my numbers right) his changes have made* the NFL far more profitable, i'd fully expect to see them continue.

* - i'm not sure there's direct causation, but i also don't expect anyone in the nfl to see beyond the correlation, so it's not really relevant whether it's true or not.

If someone at least makes revises the illegal contact rule so that it's not an automatic first down, I'd settle for that.

MidwayMonster31
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
P3ALwKeSEYs
Maybe playing defense will come back.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
**** YES!!!!

Complex
01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Jeff Fisher come on down

I hope Chuck Cecil comes with him.

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
YYYEEEESSSSSS!!!! **** you Polian!!! haha YES!! Go to hell.

Where's IamCanadian? Bill Polian's #1 fan.

DoughBoy
01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I hope Chuck Cecil comes with him.

He can grab Norm Chow and sign Kerry Collins to a 7 year deal while he is at it.

Fadetoblack
01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Jeff Fisher come on down

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Jeff-Fisher-Peyton-Manning-Jersey.jpg

He can feel like a winner every week now.

DoughBoy
01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I can't wait to see the offensive juggernaut that revolves around getting Joesph Addai 30+ carries a game.

Flyboy
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I can't wait to see the offensive juggernaut that revolves around getting Joesph Addai 30+ carries a game.

And Donald Brown!

jrdrylie
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm kind of surprised. The Polians should have been fired but I didn't think they would be. I think this makes it more likely that Peyton is on another team next year.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
And Donald Brown!

I hope you're joking. That one run shouldn't change the fact that he is the 2nd slowest player to the LoS in the NFL after Slowshon.

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Now I'm not so against them getting Luck.

ChiFan24
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
If someone at least makes revises the illegal contact rule so that it's not an automatic first down, I'd settle for that.

I don't think that would change anything. It needs to be totally gone. I miss the days of running backs being relevant.

Complex
01-02-2012, 02:18 PM
They need to change the 5 yard bump rule and make 7 or 8 yards instead. I know they are never going to change the hitting QB rule.

WCH
01-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't think that would change anything. It needs to be totally gone. I miss the days of running backs being relevant.

Good luck. Running keeps the clock moving, speeds up games, and decreases commercial breaks.

Yesterdays Packers vs. Lions game went for almost 3 hours and 45 minutes, in regulation play. That's about three extra commercial breaks.

Ness
01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Polian had his time. But he was clearly an issue with the Colts. A change was needed.

Matthew Jones
01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Hallelujah!

yo123
01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Why is everyone excited? Nothing is going to change. Maybe if this move was made years ago but not now.

WCH
01-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Why is everyone excited? Nothing is going to change. Maybe if this move was made years ago but not now.

Nothing will change; but we still don't like him, and we're happy he's gone.

Rabscuttle
01-02-2012, 02:44 PM
They will need an elite squad of janitors and a hazmat unit to start scrubbing the leftover Polian residue from team headquarters. Hell, the league needs a good decontamination of his influence.

Philliez01
01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Hopefully the Colts hire the Ron Paul of football

Then the Colts will no longer have black players.

Smooth Criminal
01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Best news I've heard today. Just cause nothing will change doesn't mean it isn't nice to finally see this guy fired.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Best news I've heard today. Just cause nothing will change doesn't mean it isn't nice to finally see this guy fired.

That's my sentiment. And at least there won't be any more ludicrous changes.

Jvig43
01-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I now have jerk off material for later tonight. **** you Polian.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
That's my sentiment. And at least there won't be any more ludicrous changes.

I'm sure if Roger Goodell wants a change he will find a way to get it. It has been said the current rules are more entertaining to casual fans which brings in more $$$. Don't put everything on him like it will magically get better and make football what you think it is supposed to be.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm sure if Roger Goodell wants a change he will find a way to get it. It has been said the current rules are more entertaining to casual fans which brings in more $$$. Don't put everything on him like it will magically get better and make football what you think it is supposed to be.

Football would be as popular now as it is with or without his pro-finesse-offense rules. The meaningless Pro Bowl regularly gets higher ratings than post season games from the other sports. It's been trending this direction for decades now.

What Polian did was done to try and force his crappy system to win a title. Which he got. One of. In a decade of doing nothing but making the playoffs. After a doing the same damn thing in the early 90s in Buffalo.

His system was terrible and he use his position on the competition committee to force it on the league. I LOVED (and still love) great defensive football, and the memories of Ty Law (figuratively) anally raping Marvin Harrison in the playoffs will stick with me forever.

Now you brush a receiver 6 yards down the field on 3rd and 25 and it's a first down.

It's a travesty, and I'm glad to see him lose his job even if it's a few years too late.

RCAChainGang
01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
YES!!! This makes me immensely happy.

WCH
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Now you brush a receiver 6 yards down the field on 3rd and 25 and it's a first down.

It's a travesty, and I'm glad to see him lose his job even if it's a few years too late.

I like the pass-happy style of football that the old AFL envisioned. It's what my Packers have been doing since the '80's. But in the AFL, CBs could actually play. For the love of Christ, let the CBs play! Some of the anti-DB rules the past few years are just obnoxious.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Exactly. It's nice to see the guy who pussified the game brought down, but nothing's going to change. His presence or not, there very likely won't be a single change.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I like the pass-happy, AFL-style football. It's what my Packers have been doing since the '80's. But for the love of Christ, let the CBs play! Some of the anti-DB rules the past few years are just obnoxious.

And I like balanced football where all three phases of the game have importance.

Exactly. It's nice to see the guy who pussified the game brought down, but nothing's going to change. His presence or not, there very likely won't be a single change.

Fewer additional changes would be nice.

Ness
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Oh well anyone who is thinking it will be a change for the NFL are kidding themselves. Don't see why anything in that regard will happen.

It's a good change just for the Colts and the Colts only.

WCH
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
And I like balanced football where all three phases of the game have importance.

That was sort of my point. I said AFL, not Arena League.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Fewer additional changes would be nice.

The game is going to continue in this direction sir.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
The game is going to continue in this direction sir.

The largest driving force behind it just lost his spot on the committee. What we need are some defensive minded head coaches on there.

Belichick would be fun. I'd settle for Tom Tom too. Or Jim Harbaugh. He seems old school enough to not want this BS offensive crap.

WCH
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
The largest driving force behind it just lost his spot on the committee. What we need are some defensive minded head coaches on there.

Belichick would be fun. I'd settle for Tom Tom too. Or Jim Harbaugh. He seems old school enough to not want this BS offensive crap.

McCarthy would be another candidate. He's a hard-nosed Pittsburgh guy, masquerading as a Run-n-Shoot coach.

I'd wonder how much Belichick and McCarthy would want to make changes, though. They've done a pretty good job adapting to the rules. They might take an "evolve or die" stance.

Nalej
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
You could change the title of this thread to PATS WIN SUPERBOWL and I 'd feel the exact same.

Great to hear. Like BB just said, putting some defensive minded coaches on the committee would be great.

General Zod
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
The city of Indy is rejoicing right now trust me.

Its going to be interesting to see what kind of direction they go this off season and in the draft.

Philliez01
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

TomTom on the committee would be awesome. I just would love to see him in the war room or what his agenda would be.

TitanHope
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Polian can still stay on the Competition Committee as a consultant. That's what Jeff Fisher did.

And all this is assuming Polian isn't back in the NFL sooner than later. If he's wanting to retire, why not just do so instead of being fired?

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
God I hope no one else hires that old bastard.

descendency
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Polian can still stay on the Competition Committee as a consultant. That's what Jeff Fisher did.

And all this is assuming Polian isn't back in the NFL sooner than later. If he's wanting to retire, why not just do so instead of being fired?

Probably because he wants to retire in a few years, not now.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
This would be the 2nd time he's left a team on bad terms after disagreements with management. The same thing led to him being ousted in Buffalo.

Sloopy
01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
While the scar Polian left on football may never be healed, it would be nice to see a swing in the pendulum back towards the middle.

The rules will probably never be undone but seeing some equalizing rules to take the ridiculous advantages away would be nice.

A simple example:

PI results in the ball being spotted where the penalty occurred and a first down (the assumption being that if the PI didn't occur the receiver would catch the ball for the first down).

Following the same logic, a holding penalty results in a ten yard penalty (assumed sack) however the down is replayed. It would be nice to see this turn into a loss of down penalty (similar to an intentional grounding) as the loss of yardage and loss of down would make more sense as an assumed sack.

Just a thought and I'm not proposing this exact rule but it would be nice for something similar to swing the pendulum back towards the middle.

Maybe some of the onus for helmet to helmet collisions being put on offensive players who lower their heads to fight for extra yards

Brent
01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
so, does this mean the Colts are even more likely to blow that roster up and start from scratch?

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
so, does this mean the Colts are even more likely to blow that roster up and start from scratch?

From the sound of things, LESS likely. Polian and Irsay reportedly butted heads over Peyton with Irsay wanting to keep him and Polian not.

Brent
01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
From the sound of things, LESS likely. Polian and Irsay reportedly butted heads over Peyton with Irsay wanting to keep him and Polian not.
Enjoy that one, Irsay.

WCH
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Following the same logic, a holding penalty results in a ten yard penalty (assumed sack) however the down is replayed. It would be nice to see this turn into a loss of down penalty (similar to an intentional grounding) as the loss of yardage and loss of down would make more sense as an assumed sack.

Interesting thought, and it makes some sense. A lot of holding penalties are committed intentionally, to avoid a sack.

Sloopy
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Despite my opinions on what they should do with the pick... I think it will be amusing trying to interview for/find a coach and GM who wont want to draft Luck

Sloopy
01-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Interesting thought, and it makes some sense. A lot of holding penalties are committed intentionally, to avoid a sack.

Exactly, which is why DBs used to just mug WRs who beat them down field, to prevent giving up a big play. If the same logic was used for preventative action a loss of down would be necessary on holding.

Brothgar
01-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I wonder if they do in fact move peyton if they will move the other older pieces of this team IE Freeney Wayne Saturday Etc.

Brent
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I wonder if they do in fact move peyton if they will move the other older pieces of this team IE Freeney Wayne Saturday Etc.
They should. Draft Luck, sign some vet of Matt Moore talent levels, and start building a better team.

In looking at some of these Colts drafts over the past few years... good god they took some ****** players.

falloutboy14
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
If Manning isn't retained, it makes sense to do a firesale of everyone over 30 (Wayne, Mathis, Clark, Freeney, Saturday etc). With trades & compensitory picks, try to set yourself up so that in 3-4 years, you can compete in the playoffs.

Also, if there is this rebuilding process, the Colts can be heavy players in free agency for the first-time free agents (the 26-28 year olds) because there's going to be a ton of cap room.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm a little late on this but

http://www.birthday-anniversary.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Party-3.gif

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED TO BE FREE OF THAT OLD GASBAG AND HIS USELESS SON!!!!!

I'm also happy for the game of football to be finally free of his poisonous influence. Congrats to everyone, the NFL got a little better today!

So much going on as a Colts fan right now. #1 overall pick, new GM and probably all-new coaching staff. Oh man oh man oh man. Merry Christmas to us!

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Looks to me that Irsay will retain Manning and the Colts will pay a heavy price for 2 or 3 years. To stay competitive, you have to know when to let go and start over, doesn't look like Irsay understands the principal.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Looks to me that Irsay will retain Manning and the Colts will pay a heavy price for 2 or 3 years. To stay competitive, you have to know when to let go and start over, doesn't look like Irsay understands the principal.

You don't understand anything. Probably because you are Canadian. Bill Polian has sucked at his job for 5 years.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
You don't understand anything. Probably because you are Canadian. Bill Polian has sucked at his job for 5 years.

Funny because the Colts have won their division every year but this one. If that is sucking, I suggest maybe you don't know football.
The Colts draft 29-32 every year and you expect them to find great talent at that position. I guess BB sucks also since he drafts pretty late also and cannot rebuild his defense. I guess the Pats should fire him too.

Seamus2602
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Funny because the Colts have won their division every year but this one. If that is sucking, I suggest maybe you don't know football.
The Colts draft 29-32 every year and you expect them to find great talent at that position. I guess BB sucks also since he drafts pretty late also and cannot rebuild his defense. I guess the Pats should fire him too.

The Colts won the division based on Bill Polian's past performances. Getting great players and getting great things out of them. The fact is that since the Superbowl winning year Polian hasn't hit on a first round pick (though that could change if Brown has another step up and Castonzo keeps improving).

The fact is that in the past he got quality out of the latter rounds and the latter part of the 1st round. Reggie Wayne was 30th overall, Ryan Diem a 4th Rounder, Dallas Clark 24th overall, Robert Mathis a 5th Rounder, Cato June a 6th Rounder, Bob Sanders a 2nd Rounder, Jake Scott a 5th Rounder, Antoine Bethea a 6th Rounder. The problem is that well dried up a few years ago and the Colts overall quality dropped.

SuperPacker
01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
The colts have hardly any good young talent which is a big problem. All the stars on the team are all over 30.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Excuses. You don't know what you're talking about. The best thing Polian ever did was draft Peyton Manning. He had some good years early but yes, he has sucked since 2006 and if you don't understand that it's because you are ignorant of how things have actually happened. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Jim Irsay knows more about football than either of us and has been friends with Polian for 30 years. Yet he fired him. Discussion over. You lose.

Seamus2602
01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
The colts have hardly any good young talent which is a big problem. All the stars on the team are all over 30.

I think there is a difference between being a star and being a good young talent. They have plenty of talent they just don't have the stars in the younger ranks. Garcon, Collie, Tamme, Castonzo, Nevis, Angerer, Powers etc are all good young talents. There just isn't a star there yet.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I think there is a difference between being a star and being a good young talent. They have plenty of talent they just don't have the stars in the younger ranks. Garcon, Collie, Tamme, Castonzo, Nevis, Angerer, Powers etc are all good young talents. There just isn't a star there yet.

Powers is going to be a 4th year player so I don't think he fits the "young, promising talent" mold anymore. He is good in man coverage but hard to depend on for a full season.

There are some good players but definitely no top-end players under 30. And guys like Clark turned out to not be as top-end as we thought.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM

I think you are definitely more knowledgeable about your team, looks like he was doing a pretty solid job drafting late every year, we'll see how the other side of the mountain turns out, greener or a heck of a lot uglier.
It is my experience that owners who hang on to aging stars way too long pay a heavy price down the road and it seems Irsay is bent on keeping Peyton around.
Good luck(pun intended) Indy fans, good GM's are few and far between in the NFL. Being a Lion's, Bill's and Brown's fan, I should know.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 12:11 PM

To be honest, Bill Polian has been occupying that made-up "Team President who doesn't really do ****" role. Same with Parcells in Miami and now Holmgren in Cleveland. That position is just a giant con-job.

I'm sure Bill can still draft - he just hasn't done it recently. This was all about Chris Polian.

descendency
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM

The division: Jacksonville, Tennessee, Houston

3 **** teams.

If they didn't routinely win it, I'd wonder why.

Bengals78
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

3 **** teams.

I would have loved to have seen them in a AFCN division for years.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I would have loved to have seen them in a AFCN division for years.

Yea its not like they have beaten up on the AFC North every chance they have gotten.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

3 **** teams.

You can only win 6 games inside their own division and they managed to win 6 or 7 more on a pretty routine basis. Besides, I don't think they consistently won all 6 in their own division and they did manage to go to 2 SB's so they had to be beating somebody.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
To be honest, Bill Polian has been occupying that made-up "Team President who doesn't really do ****" role. Same with Parcells in Miami and now Holmgren in Cleveland. That position is just a giant con-job.

I'm sure Bill can still draft - he just hasn't done it recently. This was all about Chris Polian.

I don't know, I think all 3 of these guys kept their hand in the draft room, old habits die hard.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Arriving late, but a few points:

-Manning plus a flag football squad of junior high school girls is good for 6 wins.
-Steve Young was Montana's backup for 3 years and in the system and not a rookie
-Chris Polian wouldn't buy a soda out of a vending machine without his dad telling him which one to get
-Anybody who defends his drafts must follow the KC Joyner school of football
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7416425/indianapolis-colts-face-long-road-rebuilding-nfl

Wow...he drafted Austin Collie an injury prone slot receiver without speed whose only skill is not being Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark and being on the same team as Manning. Let's see...he also drafted a directional punter, awesome...Donald Brown? Over Beanie Wells and LeSean McCoy?!? Pollak in 2008, why was that again? Oh yeah because they blew the other pick on Tony ******* Ugoh. The only good recent picks have been Powers, Garcon, and last year Castonzo. Powers and Garcon were more luck. Seriously though, Austin Collie...a slot receiver that you can easily replace with an undrafted Blair White. You have to hit on the early rounds or else the team falls apart.

Add in the fact that Polian was a dick and Irsay easily made the right call.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 02:31 PM

The 2011 draft was Chris' first real draft. I don't doubt that Chris had a hand in some of the terrible drafts from 06 onward (Tony Ugoh was apparently a Chris Polian idea) but Bill was still in charge and remained that way until part of the way through last year. Then, when it became clear Manning wasn't going to play, Bill barged back in and took control. I thought it was so that they could tank and Bill could take the blame (so his son could be blameless and take over once Bill retired), but maybe it was because he knew his son couldn't hack it without Manning distracting everybody with wins.

descendency
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
No matter who was "GM", the VP of Football operations is responsible for making sure he has competent people in place. When someone is in place that is incompetent and he refuses to fire them (because they are family...), then you have to fire the VP.

Then again, it is hypocrisy when you have a football scout with the last name Irsay...