PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Colts Off-Season/Free Agency Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

killxswitch
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I've heard of him, but don't know a lot about him. I like that he has shown to be durable. I like that he's known as a good run blocker. I don't like hearing that he's slow off the ball (he's the guy snapping it, how is he slow off the ball?) and that he is inconsistent. But overall I am positive about this signing. I like that the three OLmen we've signed all have significant starting experience. With all these OLmen and with the addition of Zbikowski, the team can focus in on NT, CB, WR in the early rounds.

Canadian_draft_fan
03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Question for Colts fans: If the Colts took RGIII with the #1 pick would you be upset? I am having a debate with other Redskin fans about RGIII and Luck. Some are saying that they would take RGIII over Luck. I say they're crazy.

MaxV
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I rate Luck higher, but if he wasn't in the draft, I would take RGIII is a SPLIT-second.

From what I've seen out of both of them, Luck's pocket awareness is ahead at this point.

RagingColt
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd prefer Luck to RGIII. Agree with Max though, if he was not in the draft than III would be the pick

killxswitch
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
If Luck weren't in the draft we'd still have Peyton and we'd be the ones that traded for a massive amount of picks. I like RG3, I think he's one of the better QB prospects to come out recently. I'd rate him higher than Bradford or Newton for example. But Luck is just a better prospect.

Prowler
03-22-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm seriously warming up to RG3, but Luck is more ready to play from the first snap. I think RG3 has the better potential and can be the one of the best qbs in the league after Peyton and Brady retire. However, I'd rather sit him for a few games, whereas Luck should start day 1. I like to idea of pissing RG3 off by letting him watch an inferior player like Beck or Grossman suck, while he watches from the sidelines. He could learn a ton by all the mistakes that they make.

redviper311
03-23-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm seriously warming up to RG3, but Luck is more ready to play from the first snap. I think RG3 has the better potential and can be the one of the best qbs in the league after Peyton and Brady retire. However, I'd rather sit him for a few games, whereas Luck should start day 1. I like to idea of pissing RG3 off by letting him watch an inferior player like Beck or Grossman suck, while he watches from the sidelines. He could learn a ton by all the mistakes that they make.

To compare Luck and RGIII is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both outstanding prospects, both are really good at what they do. Here is my observation of the two:

On Luck:

Location and accuracy of his throws are impressive. Very cerebral QB, similar to Peyton. Was calling his own plays last season for Stanford. He did not have a stellar cast at receiver who separate and many times his tight end Coby Fleener (who I would like to see in Indy), missed alot of games (11 starts in the last three seasons). Luck is strong, mobile, and hard to bring down like a Ben Roethlisberger. Defenders could be hanging on Luck or hitting him and he could still deliver the ball accurately. Great at making progression reads.

On RGIII:

Therein lies the problem evaluating RGIII. Basically, there are no progression reads to evaluate. Everything is a “bubble screen or wide receiver screen” specifically called to one specific guy. Now is that fault of RGIII or the play calling? RGIII has great measurable and is a freak of an athlete. RGIII reminds me a lot of Randle Cunningham/Warren Moon which not a bad comparison.

At the end of the day Luck is more Pro ready having played in a Pro system where as RGIII played in a spread 95% of the time. Really comes down to what you prefer. I personally prefer a true pocket passer that is more cerebral over a athletic QB. I also feel with Bruce Arians back on his second tour of duty as the OC in Indy, Luck is better suited to run his offense than RGIII.

Before I get hate messages please know I like RGIII and feel in the right system he will be a good QB, but I think Luck with have a better career.

RCAChainGang
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Apparently the Colts traded for Jets' QB Stanton

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827d27cf/article/colts-acquire-backup-qb-stanton-in-trade-with-jets?module=HP11_headline_stack

MaxV
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I liked Drew when he was coming out. I think he's a decent backup.

Any idea what we are giving up?

Seamus2602
03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
We gave up our 6th Round pick but got Stanton and their 7th.

Y2Jimmy0
03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Colts fans,
What is the deal with Freeney? He does not seem to be a scheme fit for the Colts new 3-4 under Pagano. It was said in the media that they would try to trade Freeney but it'd be tough with that cap hit. Would they release him? What will be the end game with Freeney. It is wishful thinking, but he'd be great on the other side of Peppers here in Chicago. The Bears would never pay what he is owed this year though. Just curious guys. Thanks

killxswitch
03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I think they will keep Freeney around until a team becomes more desperate and offers a good trade. We are in cap trouble regardless of whether or not we keep him, so I dont' think that is a huge concern, honestly. It's not like the $14M we'd save would be able to go to a big-time player, we don't have the overall cap room. We have ~$40M in dead cap space, cutting or trading him would mean another $5M in dead space so it's not as enticing to get rid of him as it might seem.

Pagano has already said he likes Freeney in his defense, and Mathis tweeted a few days ago that Freeney was going to play the Suggs role in the new defense.

RagingColt
03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Ryan Diem retired yesterday, Saturday signed with the Packers and the team signed WR Donnie Avery. I think the Avery signing is a low risk high reward type of deal. He might be given the shot at being the #2.

killxswitch
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
He'll get a shot. If he could stay healthy he would have lots of potential. Tons of speed. But I'm sure it's a low-level contract.

MaxV
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
He can play Garcon's role.

Solid signing.

We needed a guy who can stretch the field.

a-dub83
03-26-2012, 02:04 PM
It sounds like the Colts are willing to swallow Freeney's $19 million cap number in order to field a competitive defense. "I'm looking forward to Dwight Freeney being part of the Colts' defense in 2012," Grigson said. "He will be a Colt." Freeney could play the Terrell Suggs right-end role with Robert Mathis ticketed for Jarret Johnson duties in Chuck Pagano's Ravens-like defense.

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter

RCAChainGang
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
It sounds like the Colts are willing to swallow Freeney's $19 million cap number in order to field a competitive defense. "I'm looking forward to Dwight Freeney being part of the Colts' defense in 2012," Grigson said. "He will be a Colt." Freeney could play the Terrell Suggs right-end role with Robert Mathis ticketed for Jarret Johnson duties in Chuck Pagano's Ravens-like defense.

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter

I'm really excited to see Freeney as well. I hope he puts faith in the scheme and does his best. I just can't fathom Freeney playing at a low level with low motivation.

RagingColt
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Former Colts LB David Thornton was hired as player development coordinator.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18268670

MaxV
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, he went from college walk-on to MVP of UNC (same team as Peppers and Sims) to 4th round draft pick to starting LB to a big-contract Free Agent.

I guess he knows how to develop.

RCAChainGang
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Colts are eying Leftwich.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82814553/article/colts-interested-in-leftwich-as-backup-to-no-1-pick?module=HP11_headline_stack

Byron Leftwich "student of the game."
He knows Bruce Arians offense so I'm behind it. I just hope he never sees the field.

It's funny how they are squeezing the QB controversy between Luck and RG3, "to help teach Luck or Griffin."

killxswitch
04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I think this whole Leftwich thing is BS. There are no direct quotes. There aren't even any indirect quotes. It's a mysterious report from nobody. WTF is Fatwich going to teach Luck? Nothing. Nothing at all. Just keep Stanton. We need a backup that can keep the team afloat if Luck goes down for a game or two. Not to hold his hand.

Prowler
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Stanton is good enough to hold down the backup job. He's had plenty of practice by not playing in Detroit for years. However, Stanton never got Martz's offense and it took him a while to get Linehan's. I still remember when Colletto refused to send him into the game midway through his 2nd season because he was afraid that Stanton would "embarrass himself".

With that said, he has shown a lot better command of the offense this past season. I actually trusted him to be able to perform if Matt Stafford couldn't.

MaxV
04-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Colts claim speedster RB Deji Karim off waivers from Jags and sign former UFL TE Dominique Jones.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/30/colts-claim-deji-karim-off-waivers-announce-undrafted-free-agents/

I guess Grigson values returners more then Polian did.

killxswitch
04-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Just in time for the kickoff to be eliminated!

RagingColt
05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Eldridge was cut today and we learned all draft picks but Luck, Fleener, Hilton and Allen have signed rookie deals.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Eldridge was cut today and we learned all draft picks but Luck, Fleener, Hilton and Allen have signed rookie deals.

Way to go Polian, glad we drafted a TE to fix our OL problems.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Right now I am having roller coaster thoughts on how this team could turnout this year. I think it will come down to how good or bad the defense can be. I see us starting the season off hot actually going 2-1 with wins against the vikings and jags at home. After that it could spiral out of control. I see a win at home against cleveland after that I am not very confident other than a win against Jacksonville on the road. I think we will end up 4-12. With that said I feel like i am being too cynical. Last year we were competitive in quite a few games and won't be tossing that useless slab of meat curtis painter to the wolves.

killxswitch
05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I think 5-7 wins this year is reasonable to expect.

Seamus2602
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Better play from the QB (I'm not talking Manning style play or even great play but good game management) and better Special Teams and the Colts could have gone .500 last season. Now there has been a roster purge, with real talent questions on Defense and a massive lack of experience on Offense, but the team isn't worse than it was last season. I'm not expecting an unbelievable turn around but I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts are better than everyone is assuming next year.

RCAChainGang
05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I think the fact that Polian isn't making personnel decisions should help us out. I'm confident in Pagano and the coordinators to put together a respectable showing.

falloutboy14
05-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Colts trade FB Gronkowski for Denver CB Cassius Vaughn.

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/sports/colts-acquire-cornerback-cassius-vaughn-in-a-trade-with-the-denver-broncos

Some good things said about him, and if we're going with a 2-TE offense, our need for a FB decreases.

RCAChainGang
05-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Seems like a good move to me.

killxswitch
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Colts trade FB Gronkowski for Denver CB Cassius Vaughn.

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/sports/colts-acquire-cornerback-cassius-vaughn-in-a-trade-with-the-denver-broncos

Some good things said about him, and if we're going with a 2-TE offense, our need for a FB decreases.

We still have Ryan Mahaffey, who showed more than Gronk ever did. This was trading our useless part for theirs. They had no FB, we don't have enough CBs. Maybe he will make some sort of impact. I doubt it but you never know.

RCAChainGang
05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
If nothing else he could contribute on special teams. :yipi:

tsjames
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm sure I am not the only one, but besides Powers (can he stay healthy?) and Bethea, who is going to make plays in the DB?

tsjames
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Let's say Pagano's schemes work fairly well, can get pressure and stop the run respectively, these offenses going with 3 WR or 2 WR and 2 TE's that are basically WR's, I just don't think we have the skill to stop them!

RCAChainGang
07-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Well let's see how some of our DBs do in press coverage. They were set up to fail giving 20 yards cushion last year.

killxswitch
07-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Powers will be fine if he stays healthy and even though the rest of the CBs are a bunch of nobodies we have a lot of them this year. Hopefully a couple of them shake out as decent players.

I am planning to go to TC sometime next week and will let you guys know what interesting things I see.

falloutboy14
07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Apparently Ijalana & Ebbs are out for the year. Sucks about Ijalana. He seems so promising. O-line is Castonzo, Reitz/Link, Satele, McGlynn, Justice as of now.

killxswitch
07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
I hope a solid guard gets cut somewhere. Reitz is alright but I don't want Link starting. He'll get Luck killed.

RCAChainGang
08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Apparently Jerry Hughes picked Luck off in camp this past day and has been doing excellent in pass rush. He might be useful yet.

RCAChainGang
08-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Also, I have big expectations for Collie. He is one of the more intelligent receivers on our roster and I think he will get a grasp on the playbook quickly. One thing I noticed about Luck is that he loves to pick teams apart through the seam. I'm hoping to see the Austin Collie of 2010 without the injury. I think he will have a breakout season.

Then again he is my favorite player. :)

killxswitch
08-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I would love it if Hughes turned it around. I've had the gut feeling that part of his problem was the coaching staff. Based on his blow up argument with Caldwell in one game I think he looked at the situation and new it was ******** and just stopped trying. Now that is his fault and he deserves blame for it. But if the new coaches fit him better and can get something out of him, that helps the team. I know most have written him off, with good reason. But it is in the best interests of the Colts if he finally gets it.

I am actually expecting Luck to spread the ball around quite a bit this year. Wayne is the only guy I expect to break 1000 yards. Collie might get close, but I think Avery, Fleener, and Allen will all have significant yards too.

RCAChainGang
08-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Kevin Thomas was dealed along with a conditional 7th round pick for two linebackers in Philadelphia Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd. I don't know much about these guys, but I think the motive behind this was probably that Thomas didn't fit our scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82b0254b/article/kevin-thomas-heads-to-eagles-after-trade-from-colts?module=HP11_headline_stack

killxswitch
08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Really? I think it's that he sucked. :)

In all seriousness, a 3-4 team that actually focuses on special teams play is going to have a lot of LBs. And when you look at how bad our CB depth is, it says a lot about a guy if he gets traded away from a team so weak at his position. Especially considering how high he was drafted.

It sucks to look back and realize we could've drafted Jimmy Graham instead of this loser, and this year could've gotten somebody like Janoris Jenkins, Cordy Glenn, Courtney Upshaw, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey, Devon Still, Derek Wolfe, Rueben Randle, Casey Hayward, the list goes on and on. I like Coby Fleener, but he would not have been necessary if we already had Jimmy Graham on the roster.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM
It is that time of year where football just needs to ******* start. Besides Andrew Luck, I wanna see if either Jerry Hughes or Donald Brown decide not to suck. Love to eat crow about Hughes especially, who I hate on(rightfully so) every chance I get. Even with a great pass rush I don't see how we won't get torched through the air all year. Our CB's are pathetic.

SolidGold
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Pagano might light a fire under Hughes - if he does not show up this year the Colts just need to cut him.

killxswitch
08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Pagano might light a fire under Hughes - if he does not show up this year the Colts just need to cut him.

If Pagano can't do it then no one can. Hughes was made to be a 3-4 OLB.

RCAChainGang
08-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Well, I'm wondering how much the talents drops off from Lacey to whoever is gonna line up next to Powers.

I'd just like to say again I'm so glad Polian is gone. I miss Tryon.

MaxV
08-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I find it hard to believe that Justin King will be the starter.

RCAChainGang
08-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Hey maybe since our team is revamped we will actually win some preseason games.

killxswitch
08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
I expect to. I think our first team will be in a lot more than most other teams. They need the reps.

RCAChainGang
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
So what should we be looking for this preseason guys? What guys do you think have a shot to make the roster?

-What DB will emerge to start across from Powers? (Chris Rucker?)

-How will our O-line look and where do they line up?

-Jerry Hughes and the rest of our defense. I just hope they put some things together and prove themselves competent.

-Which RBs get cut? Karim?

-How impressive will T.Y. Hilton be?

Just some things to discuss and make predictions about. We should get conversations going here. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

killxswitch
08-11-2012, 04:04 PM
-What DB will emerge to start across from Powers? (Chris Rucker?)

Brandon King and Cassius Vaughn seem to be CB2 and NB respectively. Rucker is 6th on the depth chart right now so I have doubts he makes it through camp.

-How will our O-line look and where do they line up?

I'm expecting (L to R) Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, McGlynn, Justice. I like the starters. But the depth is pretty bad.

-Jerry Hughes and the rest of our defense. I just hope they put some things together and prove themselves competent.

Jerry Hughes has looked good at camp. But we've seen that before. I again like a lot of the starters (except at CB) but the depth is not good.

-Which RBs get cut? Karim?

I think Brown, Carter, Ballard, and maybe Evans make it.

-How impressive will T.Y. Hilton be?

So far it seems like Brazill is outplaying him. We'll see who stays healthy though.

MaxV
08-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Is it time to start a new thread?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Got goosebumps watching Luck out there today. I think we are only 2 seasons away from being playoff contenders. If people like Donald Brown and jerry Hughes step up we could surprise a lot of people however I think this team still wins 6 games.

MaxV
08-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Who has impressed/disappointed in this game?

RCAChainGang
08-13-2012, 12:55 AM
I was really impressed from what I saw. Unfortunately I have no cable and live in Nashville so I had to go to BWW to see the game. I saw the first half and watched the rest on the nfl drive chart.

Luck looked calm and composed. He really had a great time out there. I was most impressed with his pocket presence. He looked like a veteran and was able to keep from being sacked despite the pressure he saw. His throw looks as good as it ever has and he and Collie looked great together on his longer TD strike.

I didn't see Vick Ballard run, but from what I read he seemed to do well. I think our running game this year will be sub-par though.

Defensively I saw some good things but the TV was across the room so I couldn't see names and I have yet to know numbers for new players. I do know without a doubt that Jerry Hughes looked great. He had two sacks and just looked more driven than before.

All in all I am very impressed with our management and coaching staff. We will likely only win 6 games this year, but we really do have some talent to scrap with playoff teams. I think it will be our depth that is lacking. One more draft class and we could see a playoff birth, but that is the optimist in me.

MaxV
08-13-2012, 07:30 AM
New Thread.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53564