PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rams Off-Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

NGSeiler
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
The 2011 season is over (thank God) and head coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney have been fired. A new era is beginning in Rams football.

Let's discuss it here.

holt_bruce81
01-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Some news.....

http://101sports.com/category/misc-blogs/20120102/Demoff:-Vermeil,-Faulk-to-be-part-of-search/

Rams Executive Vice President of Football Operations & Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff told reporters today that former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil and Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk will be involved in the process of finding a new head coach to replace Steve Spagnuolo.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/225659/report-fisher-expected-to-be-rams-next-coach

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "it is all but certain" that Jeff Fisher will be the Rams' next head coach.
Usually a Chargers paper, the Union-Trib has had several recent Rams scoops because they've been targeting current Bolts GM A.J. Smith, and beat reporter Kevin Acee has followed the situation closely. It sounds like Fisher and Smith aren't a package deal, though. In this scenario, Fisher would likely be tabbed as head coach first, and then have say in the Rams' general manager hiring. With the Oilers (now Titans), Fisher was originally hired by current Patriots Senior Football Advisor Floyd Reese. If Reese is still up to it -- he's 64 -- it's conceivable that he'd be on St. Louis' short list of GM targets

Beano
01-03-2012, 07:36 AM
I'd like someone to come in with a bit of experience, we've done the promote from within and give a guy a chance hire. I do genuinely like Spags, and have no doubt when I say I think someone is going to get an unbelievable DC, but he seemed out of his depth far too often. If it proves to be Fisher so be it, I can live with it.

Biggest thing is I want the hire to come asap. With some of the jobs that are/might be available I think we need to get our man quickly.

Going to start watching some of the College games I have recorded over the year and watch some prospects, going to start with Kalil, as I watched some of Blackmon last year.

holt_bruce81
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
As we sit here today on January 3rd 2012 My big board is....

1. Justin Blackmon
2. Matt Kalil
3. Morris Claiborne
4. Trent Richardson

Kalil was #3 on my big board but with Bartell looking more and more like he'll be 100% healthy next year I don't see Corner as big of a need as I saw it a few weeks ago.

We need to get steals in the later rounds, not just guys that can "contribute"......I'm talking about getting guys later in the draft that becme probowl caliber players, not a Chris Chamberlein. Hoping they take a chance on a guy like Cliff Harris out of Oregon, all the potential in the World, just going down the wrong path right now. I don't want to go conservative this offseason and draft, we've done that before and it IMO might have played a big role in us not picking up some good talent......Santonio Holmes, Desean Jackson, Legarrate Blount.

Should be an interesting offseason and draft, I still think the Rams have the chance to trade down and get a buttload of picks. Washington is in need of a franchise Quarterback and I'm sure would love to jump ahead of Cleveland, and while they could trade with Minnesota at #3 I think the Vikings already have Matt Kalil's name written down on the draft card, don't think they trade down and risk losing him.

Right now I'm crossing my fingers for a Justin Blackmon (still do able with a trade back to #6) and Luke Kuechly first two selections. Luke and James anchoring our Linebacker core for the next 10 years gives me goosebumps. But, I doubt Kuechly will be there in the 2nd round, he's to good of a player. But who knows, doesn't really seem like he's a great athlete and with the combine and senior bowl coming up I'm hoping he somewhat falls down draft boards.

NGSeiler
01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I agree with your top three. But personally, I don't think Richardson should enter the picture unless the Rams trade at least to the bottom of the top ten if not into the teens. I'm just not a big believer in taking a RB that high. But I do think that, after last night's performance, it's hard not to picture Blackmon as a great fit in horns.

holt_bruce81
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I agree with your top three. But personally, I don't think Richardson should enter the picture unless the Rams trade at least to the bottom of the top ten if not into the teens. I'm just not a big believer in taking a RB that high. But I do think that, after last night's performance, it's hard not to picture Blackmon as a great fit in horns.

I love Richardson and think if the top two Quarterbacks are gone he goes to Cleveland at #4. I just see Ricky Williams when I watch him and we all remember what kind of Back he could of been if it wasn't for his mental issues.

NGSeiler
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I love Richardson and think if the top two Quarterbacks are gone he goes to Cleveland at #4.

Certainly a possibility; I'm simply saying I personally don't value the position enough to advocate the Rams taking Richardson @ 2. It would have to take a trade down for me to be more comfortable with that selection. It would seem to me the NFL is a passing league at this point, and the value of the RB position simply isn't what it used to be even half a decade ago.

stlouisfan37
01-04-2012, 04:32 AM
I think our #2 pick becomes extremely valuable if the Colts take Luck. This would leave RGIII on the board with a handful of teams desperate for a franchise QB.

Miami and Washington would definitely be players, although I'm not sure Miami would be willing to pony up the necessary picks required to move up from #9.

Cleveland is also an interesting possibility. Mike Holmgren really likes the mobile, athletic QB. Cleveland also holds Atlanta's #1 pick from the Julio Jones deal. If the Rams could trade down for the #4 pick, a late 1st this year, and Cleveland's #1 in 2013 I think that would be a no-brainer. It would allow them to still take either Blackmon, Claiborne or Kalil, as well as two more high-caliber players in the late 1st/early second range.

Assuming they stay put, here is my initial mock.

1) Justin Blackmon, WR, OSU
2) Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St
3) LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
4) TY Hilton, WR, FIU
5) Terrell Manning, OLB, NC St.

holt_bruce81
01-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Interesting Mike Karney interview......

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/RadioShows/The13Show/tabid/248/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/8042/Fridays-Show-Audio.aspx

Seg. 5

rips on the former coaches pretty good.

NGSeiler
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Jay Glazer would be "shocked" if Jeff Fisher isn't the Rams' new head coach in the next 48 hours...

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/156063075164880896

holt_bruce81
01-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Jay Glazer would be "shocked" if Jeff Fisher isn't the Rams' new head coach in the next 48 hours...

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/156063075164880896

Awesome news. I'm interested to see who Fisher brings in as his assistants. I've heard Greg Williams' name thrown out there a lot.

stlouisfan37
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
The latest rumblings are that the Dolphins are offering Fisher the title of executive vice president and a salary of over $8 million a year, and that he is now leaning in that direction.

C'mon! Pony up Stan!

holt_bruce81
01-12-2012, 12:56 AM
http://arizonasports.com/40/1486099/From-STL-Horton-blew-Rams-away-in-interview

Ray Horton did a great job in his first year as the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator.
Credited with molding an underachieving unit into one that practically carried the Cardinals to an 8-8 season, Horton is one of the reasons Valley fans are excited about the future of their NFL team.

Word leaked last week that Horton was interviewing with the St. Louis Rams about their vacancy at head coach, though, and apparently the 41-year-old impressed.

So much, in fact, that D'Marco Farr, former Rams player and current radio host for 101Sports in St. Louis, says the architect behind Arizona's stingy defense might be the favorite to get the job should the team miss on top choice Jeff Fisher.

"It could be Ray Horton, that's a guy they think highly of," Farr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "He came up here and blew them away in their meeting, absolutely blew them away.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
What's your guys' opinion on if Fisher doesn't accept the job and we hire Ray Horton or someone else and we get a 3-4 defense in here? I would be all for it but what do you think?

Beano
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
It's ridiculously hard to judge coaches from afar, he clearly done a decent job with the Cards defense but as we know that doesn't really mean much. If he does come in, good luck to the guy and I'll be wishing him well.

However, I'd need some major convincing that they could make the transition into a 34. If he does come over with ideas of changing the system, I can only seeing it being done gradually with us running a hybrid that is more 43 heavy, unless they go defense heavy in the draft/FA.

holt_bruce81
01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
It's ridiculously hard to judge coaches from afar, he clearly done a decent job with the Cards defense but as we know that doesn't really mean much. If he does come in, good luck to the guy and I'll be wishing him well.

However, I'd need some major convincing that they could make the transition into a 34. If he does come over with ideas of changing the system, I can only seeing it being done gradually with us running a hybrid that is more 43 heavy, unless they go defense heavy in the draft/FA.

It wouldn't really take that long IMO.

Sign: Calais Campbell DE, Paul Soliai DT, Ahmad Brooks OLB

Draft:

2nd round: Dont'a Hightower

Done.

stlouisfan37
01-13-2012, 03:21 AM
The debate over whether to go with a 4-3 or 3-4 defense is one that I always enjoy. There are pros and cons to both. Personally, I have always thought that the best one to run was whichever was opposite of the trend, so that there isn't as much demand for the talent. Right now the trend is towards the 3-4, so the smaller, fast OLB is easier to come by. If the trend continues, we may very well see the 235 lb linebacker regularly making the switch to safety at the next level.

One thing that I have always maintained about the 3-4 is that it is cheaper. Maybe not actually cheaper, but that you could get more talent for the money, I guess would be more fair to say. The DE's are generally undersized DT's with better mobility that are strong against the run and can contain the edge, but are not asked to rush the passer much and, therefore, come at a lesser price. The NT is usually a highly paid player, but you don't have the two spendy DT's. And linebackers are less expensive than lineman, so overall I think you could have more talent and depth in your front 7 in a 3-4 with the same cost.

Transitioning from one to the other, however, is a bit of a task. While I do understand your thinking, HOLTBRUCE, I really don't think it is as simple as picking up two free agent linemen and drafting a linebacker. You are probably looking at a turnover of 7 or 8 players in your front 7. We probably have 3 or 4 players in our front 7 that figure to be in the plans of whoever our next coach will be. Then you have to determine who will be able to make the transition. I think that Laurinitis can play in either scheme, as can Quinn. Long would likely be a question mark. Hall is 35 and won't be around long-term anyway. We haven't got an interior lineman worth keeping, and our linebackers aren't much better.

However, having said that, when you have nothing you have nothing to lose, so if they were going to make the switch, now would be as good a time as any.

Finding the big nose tackle has also been difficult for some teams, but more and more big guys are coming out every year, so that challenge is not what it once was. There are a couple in this year's draft that could be very good at the next level.

I must say, the thought of James Laurinitis and Vontaze Burfict in the middle sounds pretty darn intimidating.

NGSeiler
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Jeff Fisher has agreed to become the St. Louis Rams' next head coach.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/fisher-to-coach-rams/article_499a0a9c-3e1d-11e1-88eb-001a4bcf6878.html

stlouisfan37
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I really like this move. I believe it will bring much needed stability to this franchise and a winning attitude. While Fisher's teams did not always make the playoffs, they were almost always ready to play and competitive.

I am also very excited to see who he brings in for his coaching staff. Hopefully a lot of experience that will produce a hungry team.

Beano
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Happy that it's sorted. Be nice to see someone with some experience come in and see what he does to the roster.

freebirdsrams02
01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Hopefully this becomes a trend of good things for the Rams this off-season. It will be interesting to see who comes in as the OC to work with Bradford and the offense. It will be his 3rd OC in 3 years. It sounds like Gregg Williams will be the DC which sounds good. I like what he has done in New Orleans and he also has HC experience.

holt_bruce81
01-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Rumors are going around that Gregg Williams will be the new Defensive coordinator and Brian Schottenheimer will be the new Offensive Coordinator.

Not to excited about Schott, I think just about every Jets fan celebrated when he got fired. But who knows, I mean the Mcdaniels hire was supposed to be great.

Beano
01-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Not to excited about Schott, I think just about every Jets fan celebrated when he got fired. But who knows, I mean the Mcdaniels hire was supposed to be great.When you think about it, how many people are actually happy with their coordinators? I'm not sure there are more than 10 coordinators in the league that their own fans think can do the job.

I'm willing to give Schottenheimer a pass because he was the OC for a Mark Sanchez led offense. ****, can it really be worse than what we saw this year?

holt_bruce81
01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/jason-smith-faces-the-chopping-block-in-st-louis/

Per a league source, Smith will face the time-honored take-a-pay-cut-or-take-a-hike ultimatum in the offseason, given that (per NFLPA records) Smith is due to earn a base salary of $10 million in 2012. With only $1 million of it guaranteed, the Rams won’t hesitate to dump Smith, if he won’t dump much of his scheduled pay.

Also, Chris Mortenson reported last night, don't rule out the possibility of Brian Schottenheimer being the Offensive Coordinator of the Rams AND Hue Jackson being the Quarterback Coach.

That would be awesome.

stlouisfan37
01-19-2012, 02:50 AM
I really like the direction we are heading in for a change. I have to say that it has been since the greatest show days since I was this excited about my team. More than that, I finally feel like my team has leaders that I can actually trust to be making wise decisions, and it appears that the new ownership is serious about winning. This is gonna be a fun offseason!

holt_bruce81
01-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I really like the direction we are heading in for a change. I have to say that it has been since the greatest show days since I was this excited about my team. More than that, I finally feel like my team has leaders that I can actually trust to be making wise decisions, and it appears that the new ownership is serious about winning. This is gonna be a fun offseason!

Couldn't agree more!

UKfan
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but wanted to make sure you are aware, big big news for the Rams:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=50644

stlouisfan37
01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, we all know about the "out" clause. Personally, I'm not really worried about it. Partially for me it is because I am removed from the situation. I have lived in Seattle my whole life and have never lived in the city where my team plays. I have been to one Rams game in my life, a few years ago in Seattle, and I was the least popular fan there. I don't think the Seahawks fans liked it much when I kept asking them, "How many rings you got?"

I don't get the feeling that Kroenke wants to move the team at all, much less to LA of all places. He resides in Denver most of the time, and Denver and LA couldn't be more different if they tried. I get more of a feeling like he wants to work with St. Louis on upgrading the current facility and replacing it with a new stadium down the line.

rockio42
01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Am I the only one who can't help but think, every time I look at a mock draft, that whatever the staff's opinion on Rodger Saffold is, it's going to dictate this draft in such a large sense? If they think he is our franchise LT then the 1st round immediately changes, if we stay at #2 do you reach for Blackmon or take a chance on defense with Claiborne, and then you almost HAVE to look at the RT spot with the #33 pick.

If they evaluate him and decide that his best fit is at RT or OG then everything is different again. Does Kalil make the most sense at #2? Do you still take the chance with Blackmon for the firepower and then again risk getting your blind-side protector at the top of the second round? I'm planning on opening a blog with an absolute essay on what the Rams should do, and every time I start I go to Saffold's future as a key cog in seeing what this organization will do come April. Just was wondering what my fellow Rams' fans thought about the matter.

stlouisfan37
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I think the Rams will be trading down to accumulate more picks. We have so many holes to fill that we cannot pass on the opportunity to significantly boost the talent level on the roster. I would love to see the trade go down with Cleveland, but more people are suggesting that our trading partner will be Washington. Either way, there will still be a heck of a player available when we get back on the board.

Additionally, I think we will likely be going into this draft with a "best player available" approach. Drafting for need is a big part of how this franchise's talent level has dwindled so far. Just my $.02.

holt_bruce81
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Lions+star+lineman+Jovan+Olafioye+signs+with+Louis +Rams/6098602/story.html

Olafioye put in the required two seasons under his contract with the Lions and is now off to St. Louis, hopefully to become a building block for that beleaguered NFL franchise.

Dan Vertlieb, Olafioye's agent, confirmed his signing with the Rams today.

I'm sure you guys have already seen that the Rams have signed the top Offensive Lineman in the CFL. Could be an under the Radar signing, definetly looks like he has potential to be pretty good, allowed 0 sacks in 20+ games this past year. Played Guard and Right Tackle.

rockio42
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Lions+star+lineman+Jovan+Olafioye+signs+with+Louis +Rams/6098602/story.html

I'm sure you guys have already seen that the Rams have signed the top Offensive Lineman in the CFL. Could be an under the Radar signing, definetly looks like he has potential to be pretty good, allowed 0 sacks in 20+ games this past year. Played Guard and Right Tackle.

Sounds like a nice underrated signing. Luckily it's one of those contracts and signs that will give us a chance to see what he does in OTA's and such early in the summer and it'll be interesting to see how he does making the jump from the CFL to the NFL but I like the potential in the signing.

NGSeiler
02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Am I the only one who can't help but think, every time I look at a mock draft, that whatever the staff's opinion on Rodger Saffold is, it's going to dictate this draft in such a large sense?

Agreed. This regime's evaluation of Saffold could play a big role in the direction they take.

He's already been released, some kind of medical concern.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/jovan-olafioye-returns-to-bc-lions/article2333545/

holt_bruce81
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah I heard it was some medical concerns. Probably a weight issue. That's a shame.

freebirdsrams02
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Looks like the Rams have a new GM. Coming over from Atlanta where he was the director of player personnel. He was part of some big trades last year and the bringing in of some good Free Agents. Hopefully he can do the same for us.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-hire-snead-to-help-right-the-ship/article_7806d423-8bc8-53f2-867e-671641ce0868.html

NGSeiler
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Take it with a grain of salt, but...

I'm told by people within Redskins they are prepared to offer picks 1,2 and 3 this year, at least a 1 next year to move up to get RG3 at 2

This is from Howard Eskin, who is a Philadelphia sports radio/TV personality.

freebirdsrams02
02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn will tell us how much we get for the pick if the Rams do trade it. If both of them go to teams that also want RG 3 then it drops the value of the pick. But if they both re-sign or end up in a place that are not in the RG 3 sweepstakes then the Rams could get. So hopefully Manning and Flynn re-sign or don't end up in Cleveland, Washington, Miami or anyone else looking to move up and give up a lot. They will find out a lot more next week when Free Agency starts.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 11:08 PM
So who are some of your guys' man crushes for this upcoming draft?

freebirdsrams02
03-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I have been reading all the articles on the Rams and them trading the pick and a few questions keep coming up.

Do you think it would good to pull the trigger now on a trade or wait and trade on draft day?

If a team like the Eagles want RG3 would the Rams trade the #2 pick for the #15 pick and a player like Asante Samuel or Desean Jackson?

holt_bruce81
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I have been reading all the articles on the Rams and them trading the pick and a few questions keep coming up.

Do you think it would good to pull the trigger now on a trade or wait and trade on draft day?

If a team like the Eagles want RG3 would the Rams trade the #2 pick for the #15 pick and a player like Asante Samuel or Desean Jackson?

I would imagine it would be better to trade it sooner rather than later. Later we wait the more likely it would be for the Redskins and another team to fill that spot through Free Agency.

I wouldn't make that trade with the Eagles. At #15 we miss out on a lot of talent and Asante and Desean are both IMO overrated.

stlouisfan37
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
In my opinion...

The trade will be with Washington for the #6 pick, their #2 and #3 this year, and their #1 and #2 next year. I believe that Miami holds the key. If they don't get Flynn or Manning, then it will push the bidding. I don't think Cleveland is a player at all, other than to drive up the price.

What could be very interesting is if the trade goes down as I have suggested and then there could become a bidding war for Tannehill. I guess Jason LaConfora reported that their is legitimacy to the possibility of Seattle trading up to #6 for Tanny should the Rams trade down with Washington.

That would leave us at #12 with a surplus of early picks in the next two drafts. I could totally see us doing it. There isn't a huge drop from #6 to #12 if Claiborne, Blackmon and Kalil are all gone.

holt_bruce81
03-01-2012, 07:56 PM
How is Cleveland not a player? They likely won't attract the big name Free Agents (Manning and Flynn) so I would imagine they are looking pretty hard at Griffin. Unless they're convinced that McCoy is a franchise Quarterback, which is ludicrous.

holt_bruce81
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Miami sports analyst Jorge Sedano was on The Fast Lane today and said he would trade a late round pick, a first rounder and Jake Long to move up.

That would be awesome.

holt_bruce81
03-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Ok I'm really bored So I decided to do a Mock Draft....

I do think The Rams end up trading with Washington. So lets say the rumored proposal by the Redskins is true. So lets say....

Rams receive: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 2013 2nd rounder

Redskins receive: 1st rounder (2nd overall)

That seems like a fair offer, not to ridiculous. Now I'm actually warming up to the idea of the Rams trading with the Seahawks to collect more picks. So lets say....

Rams Receive: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and WR Golden Tate
Seahawks Receive: 1st round (6th overall)

1st Round - David Decastro OG, Stanford
2nd Round - Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State
2nd Round - Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech
2nd Round - Doug Martin RB, Boise State
3rd Round - Sean Spence LB, Miami
3rd Round - Josh Robinson CB, Central Florida
3rd Round - Bruce Irvin LB, West Virginia
4th Round - Michael Egnew TE, Missouri
6th Round - Janzen Jackson FS, Mcneese State
7th Round - Russell Wilson QB, Wisconson

I know it's hard to predict trades, but hey it's fun to think about.

stlouisfan37
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The reason I don't think Cleveland will be a player is because I don't think they will be willing to pony up the necessary picks to make it happen. I think Washington steps up and offers more. I'm not saying it can't happen...I just think that in the end it will be Washington. There are 5 quarterbacks in play here (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Manning and Flynn) and 7 teams (Indianapolis, Cleveland, Washington, Miami, Kansas City, Seattle and Arizona). That means two teams will be left in the cold. I'm pretty sure the teams know that, and Daniel Snyder will do whatever it takes to make sure his team isn't one of them.

To further muddy the waters, Manning isn't healthy, not yet anyway, and I find it hard to believe that he will have a solid, clean bill of health in the next 7 weeks. So I find it somewhat unlikely that he is signed by the draft, and that whoever signs him will be totally confident with him as their QB going into next season.

I just can't wait for FA to see how this all plays out. I think Flynn will sign quickly and that will clear things up somewhat.

stlouisfan37
03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I like your mock for the most part, with a couple of exceptions...

I don't like the Doug Martin pick, as he is another big bruiser like Jackson. I would much rather see us wait until the 3rd round and take LaMichael James. He is tougher than people think, and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. I think he tandems with Jackson better than anyone in this draft, with the possible exception of Lamar Miller.

I don't think Cox makes it out of the 1st round anymore. I think we have a better chance of landing Thompson or Reyes at that spot in the 2nd.

I like Zach Brown better than Spence. I think you can get Brown at #34, Hill at #38 (assuming the Browns take Blackmon at #4 or Floyd/Wright/Jeffery at #22), and Thompson/Reyes at #43.

I love Josh Robinson in the 3rd, and also Dwight Bentley fro ULL. Both, I think, will be very good cover guys at the next level. Probably not stars, but better than what we have had. I also like Janzen and Irvin at those spots. I think both are Fisher's kind of players.

I noticed you didn't list a 5th rounder. Who did we trade it for? I must have forgotten it when I remembered something else.

I hate to nitpick at a 6th rounder, but I think Russel Wilson is just a throw away pick, and we can find a player in the 6th round that will be a contributor. One guy that I really like that could still be there is TY Hilton, who can at the very least be an immediate contributor on special teams. I think he can become a similar player to Az Hakim (hopefully without the fumbling problems). If we were to take a QB there, I would hope that BJ Coleman was still there, although he very well may be gone by then. I think I would also prefer Ryan Lindley over Wilson. That's just my opinion. As this becomes more of a passing league I see the big QB's better off withstanding the pounding. All the small mobile QB's seem to have a lot of injuries, save for Drew Brees, who is really special. I don't think anyone would compare Wilson to him.

And in the 7th round, I want to see us take Sammy Brown, OLB, Houston. He is raw with questions, and a bit undersized, but he has been highly productive and used to winning. Could be that guy that doesn't understand failure.

stlouisfan37
03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Can I just add to the discussion that I really like Robert Turbin from Utah St? He has similar size to Martin but looks to be quicker and better at changing direction. As someone on the draft thread also pointed out, he was very productive against tougher competition.

For what it's worth, I thought Martin was bigger than he is, so I may need to take back what I suggested about him being a Jackson clone. While 220-225 is still considered a bigger back, he isn't in the 235-240 range like I thought he was.

All that being said, a lot of people are really high on Martin, and I haven't heard much talk about Turbin, even though he really showed up at the Combine. If Martin goes in the 2nd and Turbin in the 4th, I think that makes Turbin the better value. It will be interesting to see if Turbin starts getting included in the Martin/Polk/Wilson conversation. I think it is safe to say that Miller has separated himself as the #2 back in this draft.

Juice24
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
If anyones interested I found this video of Turbin..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvTATg3tRc

Unfortunately its raining so you dont get to see exactly how much explosion he has, but his style is similar to Jacksons. He needs to run lower though or he'll have a major fumbling problem in the NFL. Also needs to be a better pass blocker, but thats a pretty standard issue with rookie RBs

Juice24
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I like LaMichael James too, he reminds me of my favorite player of all time Warrick Dunn. Good vision and a great ability to accelerate. Dunn was also a great goal line runner, he could find the smallest hole and pop through before he ever got touched.

holt_bruce81
03-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Doug Martin to me is very comparable to Ray Rice.

As for Zach Brown over Sean Spence, why? Spence is pretty much better than Brown in every area of the game right now. Sure Brown is probably the better athlete but he misses way to many tackles, doesn't shed blocks well, isn't good in coverage and is slow to react.

stlouisfan37
03-03-2012, 02:52 AM
I think Zach Brown has a higher ceiling and becomes a better player at the next level. Although I will give you that Miami players probably have a better success rate in the NFL than Carolina guys do.

Juice24
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Zach Brown vs Mizzou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmVlF-oLA8

You see some good and bad in this one game, but it really stands out to you when he over runs plays or an OL gets their hands on him. He does make some good plays though and you have to wonder if any defense playing mizzou is all that scoutable bc of their offensive scheme.

Sean Spence (2 games)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhu1SAboTwU

Wow. This kid is definitely more NFL ready in these two games. Plays alot of Mike and Sam in these games, but a Will in the NFL and he could be a great player. I know we wont run a Tampa 2, but this kid should be cover 2 coach's wet dream on the weakside.

Juice24
03-04-2012, 01:56 PM
You just have to wonder who the coaches will see as having more potential.

holt_bruce81
03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
What do you guys think about Demeco Ryans?

He could be part of a draft day trade. Texans are trying to save money and Ryans is due around 5 million next season and he doesn't really fit Houston's 34 scheme.

James in the Middle and Demeco on the weak-side, could be pretty awesome.

NGSeiler
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
His contract doesn't look appealing at all.

Juice24
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Id much rather find a LB in the draft, preferably one that hasnt torn his achilles. If he was a FA Id sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal though to see how he would work out.

holt_bruce81
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Right now my top 5....

1. Morris Claiborne CB
2. Matt Kalil OT
3. Trent Richardson RB
4. David Decastro OG
5. Justin Blackmon WR

Beano
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Right now my top 5....

1. Morris Claiborne CB
2. Matt Kalil OT
3. Trent Richardson RB
4. David Decastro OG
5. Justin Blackmon WRHe might be my favourite player in this draft. I also think he might be the 2nd best player in this draft. If the Rams manage to trade down a couple of times, I'd be more than happy to nab him.

Right now I look at the draft like this.

At #2. Kalil, and tbh I don't think there's another option.
At #4 or #6. Claiborne then Blackmon. Outside of those two (and taking Blackmon at #4 doesn't sit to well with me), I really struggle to think of anyone we could take at either of those positions that I would be on board with.
If we manage to trade back after that, DeCastro becomes my #1 want, with Richardson after him.

NGSeiler
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure it's even worth naming a favorite if the Rams stay at #2 since it's so unlikely to happen at this point. But if by chance they have to pick there, it'd probably be Kalil.

At four or six, I'll take Blackmon.

DeCastro is great, but as Beano said, I don't think he enters the picture unless there's a second trade down.

holt_bruce81
03-07-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure it's even worth naming a favorite if the Rams stay at #2 since it's so unlikely to happen at this point. But if by chance they have to pick there, it'd probably be Kalil.

At four or six, I'll take Blackmon.

DeCastro is great, but as Beano said, I don't think he enters the picture unless there's a second trade down.

I don't think Blackmon is worth a top 8 selection and I hope the Rams don't reach for a need in this draft. There are other Quality receivers in this draft, Heck you can even make an argument that Blackmon is the 3rd or 4th best Receiver in this draft. IMO he's the safest of the group at that position, but talentwise I think Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd have more and maybe even Kendal Wright.

NGSeiler
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think Blackmon is worth a top 8 selection and I hope the Rams don't reach for a need in this draft. There are other Quality receivers in this draft, Heck you can even make an argument that Blackmon is the 3rd or 4th best Receiver in this draft. IMO he's the safest of the group at that position, but talentwise I think Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd have more and maybe even Kendal Wright.

Yeah, I would disagree with a lot of this. I view Blackmon as one of the top 5-6 players in this draft, and definitely the best receiver available in the class. I do agree with you that there is talent that could be had later if you opt not to take him, but other than that, we see things pretty differently here.

stlouisfan37
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM

You make a great point about the "safety" of a pick. My guess is that Blackmon goes on to have a decent career, but is not a guy that requires constant double-teaming and lights it up on a regular basis. On the other hand, I think Alshon Jeffery has one of the highest boom/bust potentials in this draft. Unfortunately I think the emphasis with him is on the bust, so I really do not want him at all. I like Wright the most of any receiver in this draft in terms of skill/explosion/polish. He reminds me a lot of a young Torry Holt. Floyd, I will be honest. I have never seen him play. I don't watch Notre Dame football.

I would really like to see us go get a stud in free agency. A stud by the name of Vincent Jackson. His experience and ability to stretch the field would be huge for this group of receivers.

A couple of other receivers I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up are Hines Ward and Lee Evans. Ward because he has a great work ethic, gives everything he has and will teach the young guys a lot of nuances of playing the position, like downfield blocking, coming back to the QB when the play breaks down, etc. Evans I think can still stretch the field and be productive, and probably would have come back to have a decent season last year had it not been for the emergence of Torrey Smith. In the end they weren't even playing him because the rookie was playing so well, and he never really clicked with Flacco like they thought he would.

holt_bruce81
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I would disagree with a lot of this. I view Blackmon as one of the top 5-6 players in this draft, and definitely the best receiver available in the class. I do agree with you that there is talent that could be had later if you opt not to take him, but other than that, we see things pretty differently here.

I would say....

1. Andrew Luck
2. Robert Griffin III
3. Matt Kalil
4. Morris Claiborne
5. Trent Richardson
6. David Decastro
7. Riley Reiff
8. Luke Kuechly
9. Justin Blackmon

Juice24
03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I feel really out of place here because I see Blackmon as good of a prospect as Kalil or Claiborne. I think he can have a career similar to Isaac Bruce or Chris Carter because of his route running ability, I dont think he'll be able to be covered by one man except elite corners.

Decastro interests me because of the rookie wage scale, could a OG be worth a top ten pick if you think he is a for sure pro bowler? Specifically at 8 in the draft.

Kuechly,Reiff, and Richardson I like all of them, but wouldnt take any of them with a top ten pick.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Huh? Route running? Blackmon didn't really run any complicated routes at Oklahoma State.

Juice24
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
The tape Ive watched has him running almost an entire route tree, other than double moves, which wont be a problem for him. The kid consistently gets open no matter where a DB was playing him, makes me think that OSU had hot routes in their gameplan, a big part of many NFL offenses.

NGSeiler
03-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I would say....

1. Andrew Luck
2. Robert Griffin III
3. Matt Kalil
4. Morris Claiborne
5. Trent Richardson
6. David Decastro
7. Riley Reiff
8. Luke Kuechly
9. Justin Blackmon

I'd put Blackmon right there with Claiborne and Richardson in the 4-6 mix, at least IMO. I would take him over everyone you have listed 5-8. I can see the argument for DeCastro but the positional value hurts him.

NGSeiler
03-08-2012, 07:10 PM
The tape Ive watched has him running almost an entire route tree, other than double moves, which wont be a problem for him. The kid consistently gets open no matter where a DB was playing him, makes me think that OSU had hot routes in their gameplan, a big part of many NFL offenses.

I agree, and I'd add that Blackmon's route running stood out to me at the Combine. He really looked sharp, precise, and NFL ready during workouts. I'm anxious to see how he times at his pro day tomorrow.

Juice24
03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree, and I'd add that Blackmon's route running stood out to me at the Combine. He really looked sharp, precise, and NFL ready during workouts. I'm anxious to see how he times at his pro day tomorrow.

Well thats cool, I was beginning to think I was the only Rams fan that liked him as much as Claiborne and Kalil. Im not sold on Richardson though, I just see so many other ways that we could spend our early picks on positions of more importance than a replacement/backup to Jackson

holt_bruce81
03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
What do you guys think about Lomabardi's newest mock?

Bit of a head-scratcher if you ask me.

1. Indy - Andrew Luck QB
2. Wahington - Robert Griffin QB
3. Minnesota - Matt Kalil OT
4. Cleveland - Justin Blackmon WR
5. Tampa Bay - Dontari Poe DT
6. St. Louis - Melvin Ingram DE
7. Jacksonville - Riley Reiff OT
8. Miami - Ryan Tannehill QB
9. Carolina - Morris Claiborne CB
10. Buffalo - Quentin Coples DE

While I like the thought of having three dominating Defensive Ends, it's not really a need.

NGSeiler
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Those are some strange picks from 5-7. If the Rams trade down and take a DE in the Top Ten, I'm not entirely sure what kind of reaction I'm going to have. I'm betting it won't be a very happy one.

stlouisfan37
03-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Blackmon ran in the 4.4's today at his Pro day, which should answer any questions about his speed. I'm beginning to think that he is probably our guy. I'm not sure that this is the direction I would like for us to go, but I think that is what will end up happening.

I don't think anyone has Ingram in the top 10. That's a reach if I've ever seen one.

Reiff has also dropped down a lot of boards as well after his arms measured in the 33's. Sounds petty, but Kalil was over 35, so to the draft experts that is significant.

I'm getting more and more used to the idea of us taking Blackmon as time goes on. I realized that it isn't Blackmon that I don't like...I just want Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins to be older:dlb: :he:

Juice24
03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
If Claiborne was gone maybe I could make an argument for it.... Like if Ingram could play SLB in a 43 for two downs maybe, but Claiborne is on the board and would make so much sense. I love Ingram, but that really confuses me.

He probably did it so that NFLN would have more mock draft variety at the top of the first round.

NGSeiler
03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, looks like the Rams are stocked up on first round picks for a while.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/source-washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-rams

Juice24
03-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Damn, thats exciting. Lets hope the Redskins suck the next three years and those become premium draft picks. I dont think we willl get Claiborne, Blackmon and obviously Kalil at 6 though.

NGSeiler
03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Damn, thats exciting. Lets hope the Redskins suck the next three years and those become premium draft picks. I dont think we willl get Claiborne, Blackmon and obviously Kalil at 6 though.

If Cleveland or Tampa take Richardson, then either Blackmon or Claiborne will be there. So we have to hope one or both of those teams fall in love with Trent, which could happen.

Juice24
03-09-2012, 09:57 PM
NFLN is saying that we got the three 1st rounders, this years 2nd, and additional compensation... Im really curious what other compensation we got?

Also said 4 teams were in serious talks with us about the pick. Clev, Wash, and Miami, but who would of been that other team?

NGSeiler
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
NFLN is saying that we got the three 1st rounders, this years 2nd, and additional compensation... Im really curious what other compensation we got?

Also said 4 teams were in serious talks with us about the pick. Clev, Wash, and Miami, but who would of been that other team?

The only compensation I've heard is the first this year, and two firsts the next two years, plus this year's second rounder.

As for the fourth team, it's an interesting question. One I will think about as I roll around like Scrooge McDuck in my imaginary vault of the Rams' numerous first round picks.

Juice24
03-09-2012, 10:08 PM
NFLN has it on there breaking news line, Im wondering if we stole a player or two from them aswell... Carriker anyone? haha

freebirdsrams02
03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I love the trade. This sets up the Rams for the next few years in the draft. But we could possibly see them trade some of those 1st founders if they fall in love with a guy that starts to fall in the draft.

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 03:24 AM

I believe the 4th team was Seattle. I know it sounds crazy, trading within the division and all, but I live in Seattle and that has been the buzz all week, along with the possibility of signing Manning. While I do believe the Seahawks were serious about trading up with the Rams for #2, there was no way the Rams were going to make that deal to send RGIII to a rival. I could see them trading down now if Seattle wanted Tannehill, because I don't think Tannehill really scares anyone, but they weren't gonna do it for Griffin.

I think this really helps clear up the offseason QB picture. Now we are essentially down to 3 sought-after QB's (Manning, Flynn, and Tannehill) and 6 teams in need (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, Kansas City, Arizona and Denver). The level of need ranges from desperate (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle) to moderately concerned (Kansas City, Arizona, Denver).

If the Rams want to trade down again, the best that we can hope for is for Cleveland to land Flynn and either Arizona or Denver to sign Manning. This would leave Miami in the running as the team to leapfrog, and two or three teams that want to get Tannehill. The key here is that Cleveland signs one of the two free agents; if they don't then I can see Minnesota's phone starting to ring. Tannehill is in no way worthy of a top 5 pick, but now 2 of 5 available QB's are taken and teams are going to start wondering what their season will look like if they don't get a new playcaller.

Personally I think Arizona is the best fit for Manning. They have a fantastic WR and would almost certainly be willing to bring Wayne along for the ride. Whisenhunt has shown the flexibility and intuition to play to his QB's strengths even when his style is different in philosophy. Arizona's fanbase is built on transplants from other parts of the country, making it one of those places that can have more visiting team fans than its own if the team isn't doing well, and I think the Bidwells would love another resurgence that would come from a future HOF QB. Miami keeps getting talked about, but I think that football people are starting to figure out that Stephen Ross is an absolute control freak and Manning will want nothing to do with that.

Another thing that I am hearing more and more is that Matt Flynn isn't all that. One column I read today compared him to Steve Bono. If Philbin really thought he was the real deal then talk of them reuniting in South Florida wouldn't have fizzled out so quickly.

If worst comes to worst, we stay put and take the 4th best non-QB in the draft and we have loaded up on picks in future drafts. I have been waiting for the Rams to be a player in the draft for so long! I am one happy fan right now!

Mr. Snead, if you are reading this...Sammy Watkins, 2014

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 03:47 AM
I love the trade. This sets up the Rams for the next few years in the draft. But we could possibly see them trade some of those 1st founders if they fall in love with a guy that starts to fall in the draft.

I really don't see this draft as being strong enough to trade away future 1st rounders. Some teams trade away next year's first to jump up from the 2nd round, but I am always amazed that they do it...the Patriots have gotten rich off of teams making such desperation moves. One thing that I recall reading about Stan Kroenke was that he had really read up on the Patriots' system of building a team through the draft and wanted to assemble a front office and coaching staff that shared that philosophy.

What I could see more likely happening is a couple of players slipping through the 1st round and the Rams trading down with their top pick in the second round. I have always believed that the most valuable picks in the draft, from a value standpoint, are the early picks on day 2 and day 3 (it used to be just day 2). Teams have had all night to evaluate who was taken and who is left. There are always a couple of players that no one thought would still be around. The fact that you don't have to make a decision in 5 minutes makes that #34 pick really valuable this year. So I think we would have the option of trading down if we wanted, or just staying put. While I don't think there are that many studs in this draft, there is a lot of depth of really good players, and I think we could get two starters out of the second round, and possibly a starter out of the 3rd as well. Then again, as low as our talent level has fallen, I guess that really isn't saying a whole lot.

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Just another thought...if Tannehill becomes the hot commodity and is taken in the top 5 then we would be guaranteed of getting either Kalil, Claiborne, or Blackmon.

If someone feels like they need to trade up to #3 to take Tannehill away from Cleveland, the Browns probably don't take Kalil since they already have Joe Thomas. My guess is they either take Richardson or Blackmon.

Does Tampa Bay take Kalil? Or do they take Richardson/Claiborne/Blackmon?

Is it possible that Kalil falls to us at #6? If so I think we take him with no regrets.

holt_bruce81
03-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Just another thought...if Tannehill becomes the hot commodity and is taken in the top 5 then we would be guaranteed of getting either Kalil, Claiborne, or Blackmon.

If someone feels like they need to trade up to #3 to take Tannehill away from Cleveland, the Browns probably don't take Kalil since they already have Joe Thomas. My guess is they either take Richardson or Blackmon.

Does Tampa Bay take Kalil? Or do they take Richardson/Claiborne/Blackmon?

Is it possible that Kalil falls to us at #6? If so I think we take him with no regrets.

Possible? absolutely, but it's not likely. IMO Minnesota has had Kalil's name written on their card for the past few months now. I just don't see them trading down.

I would love for another trade down if Blackmon or Claiborne aren't there. I think Peyton does sign with Miami and I think Flynn signs with Cleveland, I would say Arizona but after the Kevin Kolb mess I don't think they would go that route again.

So that leaves Kansas City, Seattle, Arizona and possibly the Broncos as teams who could be looking at Quarterback. Heck maybe even Miami, Manning only has a few years left and Tannehill isn't really ready, he's still only started what? 18 games at Quarterback? They could want him to sit and learn.

Beano
03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Delighted by the trade, I'd still personally like to trade down again if possible and nab DeCastro. My man crush on him is becoming pretty biblical.

Lets just hope we don't **** this up like the last time we had a boatload of picks.

Juice24
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Delighted by the trade, I'd still personally like to trade down again if possible and nab DeCastro. My man crush on him is becoming pretty biblical.

Lets just hope we don't **** this up like the last time we had a boatload of picks.

Cmon man, dont bring up 2001 already... trading down again though would be awesome and it would be Belichick-esque.

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Possible? absolutely, but it's not likely. IMO Minnesota has had Kalil's name written on their card for the past few months now. I just don't see them trading down.

I would love for another trade down if Blackmon or Claiborne aren't there. I think Peyton does sign with Miami and I think Flynn signs with Cleveland, I would say Arizona but after the Kevin Kolb mess I don't think they would go that route again.

So that leaves Kansas City, Seattle, Arizona and possibly the Broncos as teams who could be looking at Quarterback. Heck maybe even Miami, Manning only has a few years left and Tannehill isn't really ready, he's still only started what? 18 games at Quarterback? They could want him to sit and learn.

I completely disagree about Minnesota not wanting to trade down. They came out very early and announced that they were interested in trading down, but got no interest because the Rams held the key at #2. Now they are in the driver's seat at #3 if teams decide that they need to move up for Tanny.

I have a feeling that Manning won't be a Dolphin. While they are pursuing him hard, there has been a lot of talk about how Ross has ruined negotiations with Harbaugh last year and then Fisher this year. Manning is not stupid, and he is going to go to the place that best suits him and puts him in the best position for success. I think Arizona is better suited for a few reasons.

1) Team. Arizona has not been great since Kurt Warner left, but they still have pieces from their Super Bowl run. They have the game's best WR, a bruising running game that started coming together last season, and a lot of great pieces on defense. Save for Brandon Marshall, Miami has a lot of pieces to put together offensively.

2) Coaching. Ken Whisenhunt has the respect of his players and they have bought his system. While they have struggled since Warner left, I believe he still has his locker room. He has shown the flexibility to adapt his system to his QB's strengths, which will be highly attractive to Manning.

3) Division. While San Francisco has an extremely solid team, the NFC west is still a much easier division to play in than the AFC east. Playing against Tom Brady twice a year would be really great for the game, but being able to come in and immediately challenge for a division title will be a huge factor.

4) Weather. While it is sunny and warm in Miami, it is cold and crappy in three other places in the wintertime: Boston, Buffalo and New York. St.Louis, Seattle and San Francisco will be much more appealing places to play big division games late in the year.

5) Ownership. While the Bidwells have not been the model of franchise ownership, they generally stay out of the way and let their FO and coaching staff do their thing. Stephen Ross is in the thick of everything in Miami and, while Manning dealt with that in Indianapolis, he knows Irsay. I don't think he will want that kind of drama in his next team.

Miami does have some advantages. They probably have deeper pockets and will be more willing to bring in players at a cost. It is a highly sought-after destination for free agents. They also have a Pro Bowl LT to protect his blind side and a better line overall. The coaching staff is all new, which can be an advantage when bringing in a new QB, because they can all grow together at the same time.

I guess, in the end, it won't completely surprise me if he does end up in Miami, but I don't think the fit is as good and the road to the Super Bowl will be bumpier there.

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM

DeCastro is my favorite player in this draft. I think he brings a huge amount of skill and smarts along with a great work ethic and a lunchpail mentality.

N.E FAN
03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Must feel pretty good knowing you are in the Catbird seat in next three drafts. :great:

freebirdsrams02
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
With players getting cut, what new Free Agents hitting the market do you think the Rams will Target.

holt_bruce81
03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Not reallyinterested in anyone that has recently been released.

My current top 5 free agents for the Rams would be.....

1A. Vincent Jackson WR
1B. Cortland Finnegan

2. Jo-Lonn Dunbar
3. Jason Jones
4. Vernon Carey
5. Wallace Gilberry

tfry
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
There is no chance in hell a team is trading up to #6 to land Tannehill or higher for that matter. The guy has played 18 career games and has put very little on tape this offseason!

Unfortunately, I think the Rams will miss out of the first tier of players (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Blackmon, Clairborne). Richardson fits talent-wise, but #6 is to early for a running back. I'm not sold on either Poe or Cox and DE isn't a need.

Curious, but if we keep the #6 pick, who do you think we grab?

NGSeiler
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
There is no chance in hell a team is trading up to #6 to land Tannehill or higher for that matter. The guy has played 18 career games and has put very little on tape this offseason!

Unfortunately, I think the Rams will miss out of the first tier of players (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Blackmon, Clairborne). Richardson fits talent-wise, but #6 is to early for a running back. I'm not sold on either Poe or Cox and DE isn't a need.

I agree with you on Richardson's position, but at that point, he will likely be the best talent on the board by a decent margin. I'm not a huge fan of Reiff there, and I don't know that any of the DTs have really made a strong case to be considered there either.

If the Rams stay at six, and Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are off the board, I would probably lean Richardson over anyone else. It's mainly due to both his talent but also what I feel is a lack of other viable & worthy options at other positions.

Juice24
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Richardson would obviously be the best talent, but if we wanted to fill a need DT would be the best bet even though we'd have to reach for one. Cox is one of my favorite players in the draft, but I heard somewhere the Rams really like Brockers.

I like Ingram better as a prospect, but if we had to go DE Id want Coples just because he had a good season when he was a DT, 10 or 11 sacks I think. He could play inside on passing downs. I dont want this to happen its just a thought

holt_bruce81
03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
How can you say no one will trade up for Tannehill? The jets traded up to #5 overall to select Mark Sanchez who had what...16 starts at USC, and didn't look that impressive and he certainly isnt the athlete Tannehill is.

With Miami sitting there at #8 and needing a quarterback expecially if Peyton doesn't Sign and Sherman being the teams O-coordinater, was Tannehills head coach in college....you dont think there's any chance a team sees that and thinks **** we gotta get ahead of Miami.

stlouisfan37
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM

I completely disagree. I can definitely see this happening, especially if Manning goes to either Denver or Arizona, and Flynn goes to Cleveland. This would leave Miami and Seattle both in serious need of a qb, without much else available. While the top 5 is a definite reach for Tannehill, we are seeing a lot of old rules go out the window come draft time in the last few years, especially since the rookie salary cap came into play. The draft value chart has gone out the window and so has the common sense of teams looking for a franchise qb. Not saying it will for sure hppen, but if it does I won't be shocked.

What could even be more compelling is if Manning goes to Denver or Arizona and Flynn goes to Seattle. Now you have Cleveland and Miami, both desperate for a QB, fighting for the right to draft Tannehill, who is a very raw prospect with a high ceiling. If this happens then I think Minnesota's phone starts ringing and Tannehill actually goes at #3. This insures us of getting either Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon. It actually gives us a chance at Kalil, because I think Cleveland has to pass and probably takes Blackmon, while Tampa probably takes Claiborne.

As far as what we do if we stay put, and this trade doesn't happen, I am more and more thinking along the lines of us taking Richardson. He isn't high on the need chart, but I see this regime taking the BPA approach, and he would fit the bill if Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon are all gone. He is definitely the kind of back that Fisher likes, and Jackson isn't getting any younger. While I think they would really like to have Blackmon fall to them, I think they also realize that there will be some very good receivers available at #34.

Juice24
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Rams released Bannan, Brown, and Robbins today. Saves about $10mil in cap space. What do you guys think theyll do with that extra space?

All of them probably should have been cut, but it seems to me the Rams are making space to make a big splash in FA. Maybe VJax or Colston. Im hoping Colston, solid hands and cheaper price tag although hes not the burner our O probably needs.

stlouisfan37
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Rams released Bannan, Brown, and Robbins today. Saves about $10mil in cap space. What do you guys think theyll do with that extra space?

All of them probably should have been cut, but it seems to me the Rams are making space to make a big splash in FA. Maybe VJax or Colston. Im hoping Colston, solid hands and cheaper price tag although hes not the burner our O probably needs.

I hope they make a play for Vincent Jackson.

And oh, by the way...that trade with Washington is looking better every day. The Redskins just got stripped of $36 million in cap space.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120312_redskins_cowboys_lose_millions_in_cap_spa ce

NGSeiler
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Rams to release CB Bartell and DE Hall as well.
https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179315101327831040

Juice24
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I hope they make a play for Vincent Jackson.

And oh, by the way...that trade with Washington is looking better every day. The Redskins just got stripped of $36 million in cap space.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120312_redskins_cowboys_lose_millions_in_cap_spa ce

Technically the trade isnt "finalized" until tomorrow sometime. Does anyone if they could still pull out of the trade?

Its sad to see Hall and Bartell go, they both played well for the Rams in the past.

Juice24
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Thats about another $10mil though

holt_bruce81
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Sad news on Bartell. I mean you could see it coming, but still....Ron has been my favoite Ram since Torry Holt.

Beano
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
That's an awful lot of starting players from last year gone. The only one that I think you can say we already have the replacement on the roster is Quinn for Hall, Wragge was better than Brown admittedly, but that's not a glowing reference by any means.

I have faith in Fisher when it comes to DT's though, maybe they're already on Jason Jones and plan to go earlyish in the draft for his partner.

Both Bartell and Hall I'll miss, Bartell was the ability to catch away from being a very good corner with us at times, and Hall always gave his all. Good luck to em.

tfry
03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I completely disagree. I can definitely see this happening, especially if Manning goes to either Denver or Arizona, and Flynn goes to Cleveland. This would leave Miami and Seattle both in serious need of a qb, without much else available. While the top 5 is a definite reach for Tannehill, we are seeing a lot of old rules go out the window come draft time in the last few years, especially since the rookie salary cap came into play. The draft value chart has gone out the window and so has the common sense of teams looking for a franchise qb. Not saying it will for sure hppen, but if it does I won't be shocked.

What could even be more compelling is if Manning goes to Denver or Arizona and Flynn goes to Seattle. Now you have Cleveland and Miami, both desperate for a QB, fighting for the right to draft Tannehill, who is a very raw prospect with a high ceiling. If this happens then I think Minnesota's phone starts ringing and Tannehill actually goes at #3. This insures us of getting either Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon. It actually gives us a chance at Kalil, because I think Cleveland has to pass and probably takes Blackmon, while Tampa probably takes Claiborne.

As far as what we do if we stay put, and this trade doesn't happen, I am more and more thinking along the lines of us taking Richardson. He isn't high on the need chart, but I see this regime taking the BPA approach, and he would fit the bill if Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon are all gone. He is definitely the kind of back that Fisher likes, and Jackson isn't getting any younger. While I think they would really like to have Blackmon fall to them, I think they also realize that there will be some very good receivers available at #34.

I theory that sounds great with Tannehill, but if Manning goes to the Cardinals, then Kolb is available. I see Heckert grabbing the former Eagle before Tannehill. There is also Bandon Weeden in the 2nd who will be there.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Rams trade down if Kalil, Clairborne, or Blackmon aren't available, but I don't see a team trading up for Tannehill.

With the recent cuts I see the Rams with a need at RB, WR (2), LT, G, C, DT (2), OLB (2), S, CB. That's 12 starting spots we need to address. Hopefully we spend our cash right in Free Agency.

holt_bruce81
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Rams are roughly 21.6 million under the cap now.

Rumors are they'll restructure Jason Smith's contract and extend Chris Long's which combined should save them another 10 million. So tomorrow could be pretty exciting.

Juice24
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Rams are roughly 21.6 million under the cap now.

Rumors are they'll restructure Jason Smith's contract and extend Chris Long's which combined should save them another 10 million. So tomorrow could be pretty exciting.

They have to be more than that, cuts today saved around 18 million alone and you can combine that with all their UFAs that wont come back from last season. Unless they were way over the cap last year since it was uncapped.

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 10:04 AM
With free agency only hours away and the draft quickly approaching, I thought I'd look at the roster and make an overall list of needs for the Rams. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss, whatever. I didn't list every single need I could think of, but the ones I thought most Rams fans would agree with. Hopefully this helps some of the mock-makers on the site. Needs are listed in no particular order. It'll be interesting to see how the Rams address some of these positions.

RUNNING BACK
Description: The Rams have a talented, established runner in Steven Jackson, but they’ve spent years trying to find a capable back-up to work behind him. At this point in Jackson’s career, the Rams may not just need a viable back-up, but an heir apparent to Jackson’s backfield.
Need: Back-up/future starting running back

WIDE RECEIVER:
Description: Since the decline of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, the Rams have struggled to find legitimate starting wide receivers. In-house options like Brandon Gibson and Danario Alexander were underwhelming. Mark Clayton showed flashes before an injury took him out of the running. A trade for Brandon Lloyd was promising but didn’t turn out as fans expected, and now the Rams are poised to let Lloyd leave in free agency. The Rams need not one but two new starters at receiver.
Need: Two (2) starting wide receivers

OFFENSIVE LINE
Description: One could make the argument that the Rams’ offensive line is in shambles. Roger Saffold took a big step back in 2011; is he still this team’s left tackle? Jason Smith remains a big disappointment, and may still be asked to take a pay cut to remain with the team. Harvey Dahl is solid at one guard spot, but Jacob Bell is a free agent who may not return, and the Rams lack an anchoring force at center.
Need: Center, left guard, possibly offensive tackle

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Description: When Steve Spagnuolo came to St. Louis, he brought big Fred Robbins with him, and Robbins enjoyed a quality first season with the team. But he declined sharply in 2011, and joined Justin Bannan on the cut list. With Darell Scott and Jermelle Cudjo the only established tackles on the roster, this spot needs a major retool.
Need: Two (2) starting defensive tackles

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Description: Brady Poppinga and Ben Leber were big free agent disappointments last year. Chris Chamberlain saw time in the line-up but he’s a free agent. Bryan Kehl was a Spagnuolo player from New York that played situationally but likely won’t be asked back. This position remains a thorn in the side of the Rams.
Need: Two (2) starting outside linebackers

CORNERBACK
Description: Starting cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Bradley Fletcher suffered season-ending injuries last year; Bartell has been cut by the team and Fletcher is rehabbing his second ACL tear. Replacing Bartell in the starting line-up will be an offseason priority, and the Rams need to carefully monitor Fletcher’s progress. The Rams also have some situational depth in Jerome Murphy and Josh Gordy, but competitive wouldn’t hurt.
Need: Starting cornerback, possibly depth

PUNTER
Description: Donnie Jones is a free agent this year, following his worst season with the Rams. Prior to that, Jones was punting at a high level, high enough that the Rams considered placing the transition tag on him before the deadline this offseason. That shows they’re interested, so it’s possible they’ll work something out. If they don’t, the hole will need filling.
Need: Punter

tfry
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Nice write up NG! I agree with everything you said. Here are the FAs I'd like to see the Rams take a look at based off of your list:

RB- Prefer to address in the draft.

WR - Josh Morgan. The guy would be a solid #2 and does a great job blocking. He is one of the more underrated receivers in the league. I don't think we have the funds to sign VJax, Meachem, or Manningham. Colston is to injury prone imo.

OL - Carl Nicks. Would love to see us get arguably the nastiest Guard in the NFL. He'd cost a fortune so it might not work out. Ben Grubbs would also be a nice player to get.

DT - Jason Jones.

OLB - Address the position in the draft.

CB - Cortland Finnegan.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Good read man, heres my views.

RB - Fill in the draft, but dont reach for someone.

WR - This is the first offseason for the new regime so I would just want one guy this year. Id let Gibson and DX battle it out for the 2nd receiver spot, Im a big believer that competition makes both players better.

OL - Im in the minority, but I think Saffold needs another shot at LT. He was a pro bowl reserve in his rookie year in Shurmurs offense, which is similar to Schottys. Other than that Id like to keep it young and cheap. When the Titans had the best OL in the league Fisher drafted 4 of his starters in 2 years with only one player taken above the 3rd, Michael Roos LT. So Id like this filled in the draft.

DT - I have no idea, Fisher used the quick 1 gap penetrators in TEN (Jason Jones, Haye) and Williams used big 2 gap hosses in NO (Ellis, Franklin) and JAX (Stroud, Henderson). I dont guess on this one, I sit back and watch.

OLB - I like Chamberlain and want to see him stay. At the other spot Id like a two down thumper that can take on FBs and shed OL blocks, Mayber Joe Mays.

CB - Finnegan's my favorite corner in the league after Winfield. I like alot of the corners in the draft, but would only draft for depth if Fletcher will be able to return.

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Just to clarify the cap situation a bit more, this is from a Jim Thomas article published today in the Post-Dispatch:

With the salary cap staying flat this year at $120.6 million, the Rams cleared up nearly $20 million of salary cap space by deciding to release five starters:

• Center Jason Brown ($2.8 million cap savings), defensive tackle Fred Robbins ($4 million) and defensive tackle Justin Bannan ($2.75 million) were released Monday.

• Cornerback Ron Bartell ($6.25 million) and defensive end James Hall ($3 million) will be released today.

Interviewed before all of those moves were made official, Snead said he would decline to comment on the cuts until later in the week.

But just like that, the Rams went from about $10 million in cap space to about $30 million, giving them ample resources to be active shoppers in free agency.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Saw on CBS rapidrepots that Rams have had no contact with Finnegan and are targeting Carlos Rodgers. That wouldnt totally upset me, but Ill always think that Finnegan is the better player

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Saw on CBS rapidrepots that Rams have had no contact with Finnegan and are targeting Carlos Rodgers. That wouldnt totally upset me, but Ill always think that Finnegan is the better player

Technically they shouldn't be allowed to before the start of free agency though, right?

EDIT: Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that Finnegan is scheduled to visit the Rams this week.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Technically they shouldn't be allowed to before the start of free agency though, right?

EDIT: Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that Finnegan is scheduled to visit the Rams this week.

I saw that too, apparently its tomorrow. and apparently they have interest in tract porter

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Rams also talking with WR Pierre Garcon, and are said to be interested in CB Tracy Porter.

EDIT: Garcon announces via Facebook he'll sign with Redskins, scratch him off the list.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Looks like Bucs are close to a deal with Vincent Jackson

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Jim Thomas is reporting that the Rams are trying to get Saints WR Robert Meachem to come to town tomorrow.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Jim Thomas is reporting that the Rams are trying to get Saints WR Robert Meachem to come to town tomorrow.

thats awesome he was my first FA WR option after Colston, Redskins think the are close to getting Josh Morgan

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
DT Jason Jones visiting Rams tonight

https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179677457115385858

Juice24
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
DT Jason Jones visiting Rams tonight

https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179677457115385858

With the cuts yesterday my guess is that he visits and stays the night so he can go condo shopping tomorrow afternoon

Beano
03-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Jason Jones made sense prior to the cuts, he's now almost a must have. Fingers crossed that gets sorted quickly.

holt_bruce81
03-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Eric Winston will visit the Rams.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Eric Winston will visit the Rams.

Now that is some great news. Still havent heard anything about Jason Smith though? If he restructures or gets cut?

Juice24
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Looks like the Rams are set to sign Finnegan via Pro Football Focus

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/13/pff-live-free-agency-reaction-blog-day-1-031312/

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Rams, CB Finnegan agree on five-year $50 million deal

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/179741216433381376

holt_bruce81
03-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice signing for the Rams. Would like to see how much of it is guaranteed.

NGSeiler
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Jim Thomas and Howard Balzer are reporting that a deal with DT Jason Jones could possibly be finished tonight.

Juice24
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
9ers resigned Carlos Rogers, Im even more glad we got Finnegan now. Jason Jones on the same day would be great

holt_bruce81
03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Thinking about it, I actually would of rather kept Bartell and used the extra 5 million on a Linebacker or Lineman. Finnegan isn't that much of an upgrade over Bartell, if at all honestly. It's a shame how underrated Bartell was just because he didn't have any ball skills, his cover skills were ++

Juice24
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Im not underrating Bartell, I know how good he was. But he broke his neck last year, one thing we never get the full story on is injury reports, they never make it to the media. I honestly think that if Bartell is not on this team its because of his injury history, not his talent level.

Finnegan's also supposed to be the best slot corner in the league. If Bartell was still here I would still want Finn.

Beano
03-14-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't mind Finnegan, he's a bit too up and down though. If we get good Finnegan then great, if we get not interested/bad Finnegan (and lets be honest, if you sign as a FA with the Rams, recent history suggests this is incredibly likely :cj:) then it'll be a concern.

I would love them to make a play on Winston, would be a great signing and the right hand side of the line, at least on paper, would look real strong. Sadly the rest would still have huge ???.

Hopefully Jones and Finnegan deals become official today. I'm disappointed we didn't seem to be close with any of the FA WR's though, I guess that means Blackmon will be the pick at #6, if he's there.

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Thinking about it, I actually would of rather kept Bartell and used the extra 5 million on a Linebacker or Lineman. Finnegan isn't that much of an upgrade over Bartell, if at all honestly. It's a shame how underrated Bartell was just because he didn't have any ball skills, his cover skills were ++

And yet I've not seen one report about an interested team or a visit for him in free agency.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
And yet I've not seen one report about an interested team or a visit for him in free agency.

What does that have to do with anything? Its the first day and the market for corners won't be set until Finnegan, Porter and Rogers sign.

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
What does that have to do with anything? Its the first day and the market for corners won't be set until Finnegan, Porter and Rogers sign.

You're saying the guy is basically on par with Finnegan, the top free agent corner, and yet he hasn't been mentioned as being in anyone's sights so far, let alone a visit.

Finnegan, Rogers, and Eric Wright have all gotten attention and have been signed since the start of free agency, not to mention Routt who signed in late February, Terrell Thomas who was re-signed by the Giants before the deadline, and Perrish Cox who signed with the 49ers. It's not as if the market has been silent at the position.

I think Bartell is a good corner but not the top talent many Rams fans like to believe he is. He didn't receive much interest the last time he hit free agency before re-signing with the Rams, and so far I've not even heard his name mentioned.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
You're saying the guy is basically on par with Finnegan, the top free agent corner, and yet he hasn't been mentioned as being in anyone's sights so far, let alone a visit.

Finnegan, Rogers, and Eric Wright have all gotten attention and have been signed since the start of free agency, not to mention Routt who signed in late February, Terrell Thomas who was re-signed by the Giants before the deadline, and Perrish Cox who signed with the 49ers. It's not as if the market has been silent at the position.

I think Bartell is a good corner but not the top talent many Rams fans like to believe he is. He didn't receive much interest the last time he hit free agency before re-signing with the Rams, and so far I've not even heard his name mentioned.

In 2009 he declined a deal with the Saints that was similiar to the Rams deal to stay in St. Louis.

And he's coming off a broken neck, teams will take their time signing him. Doesn't mean anything. Just extra caution.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
In 2009 he declined a deal with the Saints that was similiar to the Rams deal to stay in St. Louis.

And he's coming off a broken neck, teams will take their time signing him. Doesn't mean anything. Just extra caution.

A visit and contract offer (two days later mind you) from one other team in 2009. Like I said, not much interest around the league last go-round.

Teams have no reason to take their time if they agree he's among the most talented cornerbacks available; they should want to get him in ASAP, check him over, and sign him. Keep in mind he was cleared to resume playing back in December and passed his exit physical when cut, so it's not as if he's still healing or injured.

There is really no way to explain away the lack of interest as anything else but a disagreement in how the league perceives a player Rams fans think is top notch. There's no reason for teams to not be interested in Bartell if they agreed he was on Finnegan's level as a free agent corner.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
So why hasn't David Hawthorne had any interest?

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
So why hasn't David Hawthorne had any interest?

The Lions, Saints, and Bears have all been mentioned as interested parties.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Tony Softli via twitter:

The Rams have officially become the youngest team in the league as of Monday, releasing five veteran starters that were up in age.

Juice24
03-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Tony Softli via twitter:

We were in the top 5 oldest last year, thats a hell of a turnaround.

I saw that we are in contract negotiations with Jason Jones right now and hope for a deal done soon.

stlouisfan37
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
I really like the Finnegan signing. This was one of the things I was most excited about when Fisher came aboard. When a new coach takes over a team, they almost always bring in some players from their old regime that they like and know their system, and will be good for changing the culture of their locker room. I was pretty disappointed, actually, that this didn't happen much (if at all) with Linehan or Spags.

There is a lot of talk about Jason Jones, as well. I admittedly know nothing about him, as I don't watch the Titans very often. Most of the articles I have been reading say he played DE last year, but is better suited inside. But we only weighs like 276? Could anyone expand on what kind of player he is and why he would be effective as a DT with such a small frame?

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
I really like the Finnegan signing. This was one of the things I was most excited about when Fisher came aboard. When a new coach takes over a team, they almost always bring in some players from their old regime that they like and know their system, and will be good for changing the culture of their locker room. I was pretty disappointed, actually, that this didn't happen much (if at all) with Linehan or Spags.

There is a lot of talk about Jason Jones, as well. I admittedly know nothing about him, as I don't watch the Titans very often. Most of the articles I have been reading say he played DE last year, but is better suited inside. But we only weighs like 276? Could anyone expand on what kind of player he is and why he would be effective as a DT with such a small frame?

He was a Defensive Tackle when Fisher was in Tennessee. I've heard he's pretty comparable to Darnell Dockett. He's deffinetly an above average pass rusher at that position.

Be nice if we could get a fat Nose Tackle to team him up with, Maybe Fat Albert would want to redeem his image.

Juice24
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM

He didnt have a good season as a DE. Fisher used him as a DT and he showed alot of promise in his first 2 years there. He wont bull rush someone and stuff the run, but hes too fast for most guards to block. He may even be able to command double teams in passing situations, good news for Quinn's development and Long's 2013 Pro Bowl selection he wont accept since the Rams will be preparing for a Super Bowl victory.

stlouisfan37
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
How is he against the run? Or is he more of a situational player? He obviously isn't the big run-plugger at that size. Did they use him in a lot of the same ways the Giants use smaller guys like Tuck on the inside on third downs?

Also, has anyone heard anything more about Eric Winston?

Juice24
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
How is he against the run? Or is he more of a situational player? He obviously isn't the big run-plugger at that size. Did they use him in a lot of the same ways the Giants use smaller guys like Tuck on the inside on third downs?

Also, has anyone heard anything more about Eric Winston?

From what Ive heard he is average against the run. Fisher always used him as a DT, not like Tuck who can play everywhere. He is a 3 down DT though, good enough against the run and above average pass rusher.

stlouisfan37
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Well that's impressive for a guy his size. I'm guessing that he would really benefit from having a big body next to him in the scheme, though. I'm not opposed to bringing in Haynesworth if he came in with a positive attitude and wanted to work hard. My guess is that everyone works hard on Fisher's team, though, so it probably wouldn't even happen unless the coaches were convinced that he was in a positive mindframe.

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Well that's impressive for a guy his size. I'm guessing that he would really benefit from having a big body next to him in the scheme, though. I'm not opposed to bringing in Haynesworth if he came in with a positive attitude and wanted to work hard. My guess is that everyone works hard on Fisher's team, though, so it probably wouldn't even happen unless the coaches were convinced that he was in a positive mindframe.

Michael Brockers (6'6" 322lbs) would fit that description as well. But then that begs the question, is he really a good value at 6th overall?

Juice24
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Michael Brockers (6'6" 322lbs) would fit that description as well. But then that begs the question, is he really a good value at 6th overall?

When they take someone with the 6th I really hope its a guy that would be able to get a pass rush or develop it and become a 3 down DT. I heard during the combine the Rams were very impressed with the kid.

With the moves the Bucs are making right now though Im getting more hopeful that theyre lining up to draft Richardson. Leaving either Claiborne or Blackmon there.

NGSeiler
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Sounds like DT Jones will in fact leave St. Louis to make his scheduled visit to Seattle.

https://twitter.com/#!/terrymc13/status/180048917780631552

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 06:24 PM
That's a shame. You cant let a player like that leave, expecially to go visit a division rival.

stlouisfan37
03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I have been reading several articles eluding to the enormous paydays that 2nd tier players have been getting thus far in free agency. It could be that he just wanted too much money. Pure speculation on my part.

I noticed that Jeff Faine got released today by the Bucs. Are we interested?

Which leads me to another thought...with all these signings, some decent players are being cut to make cap room. Faine is a perfect example. He was due to make $6 mil this year. Now there is almost no way he gets that kind of money, but maybe he could be had for $3-4 mil? I would be surprised if we don't pick up a couple of bargains before we are done.

Juice24
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
The money thing wouldnt surprise, the post-dispatch said the Rams are refusing to overpay WR, maybe they dont wanna overpay DTs either.

Jeff Faine's on the downslope of his career. $3mil may be most he would get anywhere.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
From Jim thomas via Twitter

DL Jason Jones having fun tonight in Stl: dinner w/new Rams CB & former Titans teammate Cortland Finnegan. But Jones still may visit Seattle

Come on Finny!

stlouisfan37
03-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Dear Mr Jones,

You don't want to live in Seattle. I should know. I live there, and have lived there my whole life, save for a short spell in Eastern Washington. Let me tell you what it is like living here.

It rains more than anything else. Today was the 6th day in a row that it has rained. Not the real old fashioned downpour kind of rain that the rest of the world enjoys. More of a drizzly, cold, crappy, annoying little brother kind of rain. It doesn't ever stop and you don't ever come to like it, even if you do get used to it. It is very green here, and it would be cool to enjoy that if we ever actually felt like going outside.

The temperatures are pretty moderate, except that it is so wet and humid that when it is 40 degrees here it feels like 10. It is 40 degrees here most of the time from October to April.

The people here are super friendly. They are really into the environment, and eating healthy, and eating Vegan because eating meat is cruel to animals. They are so friendly that they even like to come up to complete strangers and tell them why they should or should not eat what they are eating, or do what they are doing. Yes, we in the Northwest are all about educating our fellow man!

Oh, one thing about the Seahawks that you should know before you decide to play for them...they have a curse. You see, some 37 years ago there was a man named Lloyd W. Nordstrom who had a dream of bringing football to the Northwest. He spent millions of dollars, waded through political red tape, got the Kingdome built and the whole nine yards. And shortly before his new team's uniforms were to be unveiled, he went on vacation to Mexico and died in some freak waterskiing accident...was it waterskiing? Maybe diving...anyway, you get the jist...died before he ever saw his Seahawks play a game, never even got to see their uniforms. That is why the Seahawks never win the big game, they are destined for failure and will never get you a ring. Just saying...

Oh and one more thing...the locals around here will tell you that the Seahawks are named after the osprey, which is a native bird of prey. This is a complete falsehood. They stole the name from the Miami Seahawks of the AAFC, which folded in 1949.

And then there is the coach of the Seahawks, Mr. Pete Carroll. He was really successful in college at the University of Spoiled Children. The problem is, in college he had a real recruiting advantage and could reload with top talent anytime he wanted. Kind of like getting 5 first round picks every year. But in the NFL, you don't get that privilege, but Petey hasn't figured that out yet. So, rest assured, the talent on that team is steadily dwindling while in St. Louis it is headed straight up. But hey, do what you want...it's a free country. Enjoy your garden burger.

Scott
Rams fan in Seattle

Juice24
03-15-2012, 01:59 AM
You forgot about the bitchy teenage vampire infestation in that area too.

holt_bruce81
03-15-2012, 02:00 AM
If we can somehow get Jones, Winston and McClure that would be HUGE.

stlouisfan37
03-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Oh, and Mr. Jones...one more thing. I forgot to tell you about the most lopsided game in NFL history. Or, should I say, the most physically dominating game. The score wasn't nearly as telling as the game itself.

November 4, 1979. The Los Angeles Rams went into the Kingdome to take on the Seahawks. The Rams rolled to a 24-0 win, while holding the Seahawks to a league record low of -7 yards from scrimmage. The Seahawks managed just one first down; an 11 yard pass from Zorn to Largent. It is a record that will never be broken and, while few players in the league are even old enough to remember it, the Seahwaks will always know that they are the worst team to ever play in the NFL. EVER. Make a wise decision. Come to St. Louis. 'Nuff said.

stlouisfan37
03-15-2012, 02:44 AM
If we can somehow get Jones, Winston and McClure that would be HUGE.

That would be great, I agree. But McClure is 35. I'm not sure the direction we will be heading in, at least not this early in the offseason.

Additionally, people on other boards are suggesting that Winston could command $7 million per year. Is that realistic? Now the fact that some other linemen have already signed him may limit his market some, but in any case, do we really want another $7 million RT? I guess we would cut Smith in that event.

stlouisfan37
03-15-2012, 02:47 AM
You forgot about the bitchy teenage vampire infestation in that area too.

The vampires aren't really that bad. They sleep all day. Besides, they're way over on the peninsula. It's a 4 hour drive!

NGSeiler
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Jim Thomas is reporting that Jones leaves St. Louis and is on his way to Seattle. To think this was nearly a done deal Tuesday night, wow.

NGSeiler
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
It sounds as if Packers center Scott Wells is coming for a visit.

https://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/180337226557829121

NGSeiler
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
News finally surfacing on Ron Bartell... taking a visit with the Raiders:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55367/raiders-to-host-ronald-bartell

Juice24
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Jim Thomas is reporting that Jones leaves St. Louis and is on his way to Seattle. To think this was nearly a done deal Tuesday night, wow.

Maybe it wasnt as close as all the reports we saw indicated. Hes supposed to be in the running for a big payday, I bet they couldnt agree on the length of the deal or something.

NGSeiler
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Former Packers center Scott Wells is currently visiting Rams Park. Former Giants & Eagles wide receiver Steve Smith is said to be visiting soon.

holt_bruce81
03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
If Steve Smith is healthy that would be a great signing. Maybe they are preparing for Danny Amendola leaving. Heck I even think Salas will end up being better than Danny for us. I know I'm one of few though.

holt_bruce81
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Jim Thomas via twitter...

Open Hallways of Rams Park literally jammed with free agent visitors: Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Shaun Hill, Scott Wells, Travelle Wharton.

That would be HUGE if we can get them all to sign. Wishful thinking I know.

Juice24
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Jim Thomas via twitter...

That would be HUGE if we can get them all to sign. Wishful thinking I know.

Ill be in the minority big time but Id only sign Wells and a HEALTHY Smith out of those guys. Hill Id sign if we couldnt get Clemens back.

Speaking of which, I havent heard anything about Clemens yet, but have heard about other guys coming in to replace him/Feeley. Guess Schottys not as high on him as Rams fans were last year.

NGSeiler
03-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I would have rather had Meachem than Manningham, so I hope if the Rams do sign him, it's to a reasonable deal less than what San Diego shelled out.

I am intrigued by Smith though if his medical issues check out.

holt_bruce81
03-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Ill be in the minority big time but Id only sign Wells and a HEALTHY Smith out of those guys. Hill Id sign if we couldnt get Clemens back.

Speaking of which, I havent heard anything about Clemens yet, but have heard about other guys coming in to replace him/Feeley. Guess Schottys not as high on him as Rams fans were last year.

Clemens and Schotty were together in New York for a few years, So I'm sure they know eachother well. Didn't seem like Kellen was thought of to highly.

It'd be awesome if we can sign all those guys and then take Trent Richardson at #6 and Alshon Jeffery with one of our 2nd round selections. I have a man crush on Jeffery, I think he's going to be a monster in the NFL.

Beano
03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't know if it's just me but Steve Smith feels very much like a typical Rams FA pickup. A guy that flashed talent runs into injuries and heads over to us, does nothing moves onto somewhere else and suddenly finds some form.

I agree with NGSeiler on Manningham. Generally think that SB catch has overrated a guy who at best is an average #2 receiver. If we pay him like one and get him, then fine, but I think the market value will force you to pay more and I just don't see the point.

NGSeiler
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Dolphins DL Langford left the Bengals' facilities this morning; he had previously scheduled a visit with the Rams so we'll see if he's on his way.

Cincinnati left guard Nate Livings is visiting the Rams. He turns 30-years-old today and has started the last two seasons for the Bengals.

stlouisfan37
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Clemens and Schotty were together in New York for a few years, So I'm sure they know eachother well. Didn't seem like Kellen was thought of to highly.

It'd be awesome if we can sign all those guys and then take Trent Richardson at #6 and Alshon Jeffery with one of our 2nd round selections. I have a man crush on Jeffery, I think he's going to be a monster in the NFL.

I think I dislike Jeffery about as much as you like him. I see a lot of Mike Williams (SEA) in him, and more of the old Mike Williams than the new. Big, strong, and hard to cover, but little explosion and a lack of athleticism that will be taken advantage of at the next level. Maybe it's just the big gut that sends me a red flag. I like Kendall Wright a lot more than him.

NGSeiler
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Ron Bartell has joined the Raiders, one year $3 million.

NGSeiler
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
The Rams have agreed to terms with Packers center Scott Wells.

Juice24
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
The Rams have agreed to terms with Packers center Scott Wells.

That fills a big hole, now lets just hope they CANT get a deal done with Manningham and bring JJones back from the Seahawks.

Why would they sign Manningham, hes so inconsistent and doesnt seem to have elite skills in any part of his game?

Beano
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
The Rams have agreed to terms with Packers center Scott Wells.Pretty decent pick up.

holt_bruce81
03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I think I dislike Jeffery about as much as you like him. I see a lot of Mike Williams (SEA) in him, and more of the old Mike Williams than the new. Big, strong, and hard to cover, but little explosion and a lack of athleticism that will be taken advantage of at the next level. Maybe it's just the big gut that sends me a red flag. I like Kendall Wright a lot more than him.

That's one of the biggest misconceptions when talking about Alshon. People want to try and compare him to Mike Williams because of one picture, and I don't care what anyone says, it's because of one picture. You see him against Alfonzo Dennard in their bowl game? Absolutely man-handled him. Dennard is regarded by many as a top 50 selection.

It's funny that people say he is slow, yet he's played against top competition in the SEC and has pretty much had his way with guys like....Brandon Boykin, Kareem Jackson, Alfonzo Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, Byron Maxwell. And last year when Jeffery, AJ Green and Julio Jones were all in the SEC, Alshon was the best of the three.

Jeffery is probably the best deep threat I've seen come out in quite a few years, I would even go as far as comparing his deep ball skills to Larry Fitzgerald. And unlike Floyd, Jeffery is pretty fluid when running his routes.

NGSeiler
03-16-2012, 08:34 PM
You see him against Alfonzo Dennard in their bowl game? Absolutely man-handled him. Dennard is regarded by many as a top 50 selection.

As did more than a few receivers at the Senior Bowl, prompting some scouts to question whether Dennard would be better off at safety in the pros.

That was also Jeffery's only 100-yard performance of the entire season.

holt_bruce81
03-17-2012, 03:35 AM
As did more than a few receivers at the Senior Bowl, prompting some scouts to question whether Dennard would be better off at safety in the pros.

That was also Jeffery's only 100-yard performance of the entire season.

So?

49 catches 762 yards, 15.3 YPC, 8 Touchdowns

57 catches 848 yards, 14.9 YPC, 9 Touchdowns

Stats don't tell you the whole story.

holt_bruce81
03-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Some 2011 video...

Jeffery vs ECU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ApznKf4DU

Jeffery vs Kentucky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8q3ZDtEVZE&feature=related

Some of those throws are just downright horrible.

Jeffery vs Alabama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpHPzu_wEM

- Goes up against Dre Kirkpatrick a few times.

Jeffery vs Janoris Jenkins (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5tH53cLW4U

Alshon had 6 catches for 53 yards, and as you can see had a chance at having a bigger game if Garcia was accurate on sone of his throws.

To compare, AJ Green and Julio Jones in 2010 vs Janoris Jenkins combined had 8 catches for 61 yards.

I know that videos don't tell you the whole story. I'm just trying to show you guys that Jeffery's Quarterback play was inconsistent all season in South Carolina.

NGSeiler
03-17-2012, 08:48 AM
So?

49 catches 762 yards, 15.3 YPC, 8 Touchdowns

57 catches 848 yards, 14.9 YPC, 9 Touchdowns

Stats don't tell you the whole story.

I don't really have the time to spend guessing-and-checking to see who you're referring to. I assumed one of them was A.J. Green, and was correct. The fact that you'd just throw out random seasons worth of stats tells me I probably didn't make my point clear enough.

Jeffery was one of the hottest receiving sensations coming out of the 2010 season. The guy posted 1,500+ yards and caught nearly 90 passes. Over half of his games resulted in 100+ yards receiving. He was a machine. In 2011, those numbers were basically cut in half. His receptions per game went down drastically, his yards per game went down drastically. Jeffery's worst game in 2010 came against #1 Auburn (4 rec, 36 yards, 1 TD). In 2011, he'd have seven games that I would rate as being worse than that. That's different from Green, whose averages actually continue to go up through his career. The point being made isn't that the guy has to put up outstanding numbers, but rather how drastic of a falloff Jeffery had from 2010 to 2011.

Yes, I understand his quarterback situation was not great. But the truly great ones - the ones that compare favorably to the Greens and Fitzgeralds of the world - still manage to be a factor on the field in spite of that. To me, Jeffery seemed like a guy who just kind of accepted the situation rather than one who tried even harder to change it. You can't praise Jeffery for dominating opponents when he shows up, yet simply blame the QB situation when he doesn't. Using that barometer, Jeffery goes blameless; it's his doing when he's good and someone else's fault when he's not. That doesn't hold water to me, and I doubt it does to the people whose jobs are on the line in evaluating Jeffery.

I'm in stlouisfan37's camp when it comes to him. Jeffery possesses great size and ball skills, but when you can't separate with speed and you can't separate with good route running, you're going to get exposed at the next level. The fact that Jeffery also has some big red flags surrounding his ability to maintain his weight (saying his playing weight was “like 230” last year drew attention for the wrong reasons IMO) and showing up for games isn't one for the plus column either.

OSUGiants17
03-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Some Ram's porn for y'all
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7721390/1024/Swaps/Justin-Blackmon-B%2526A.png

NGSeiler
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Me like.

On another note, the Rams have signed Miami DL Kendall Langford to a four-year deal. He's expected to fill one of the two vacancies at defensive tackle in the starting line-up.

stlouisfan37
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Some Ram's porn for y'all
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7721390/1024/Swaps/Justin-Blackmon-B%2526A.png

I'm guessing this means I need to buy another #81 jersey soon:-)

stlouisfan37
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Me like.

On another note, the Rams have signed Miami DL Kendall Langford to a four-year deal. He's expected to fill one of the two vacancies at defensive tackle in the starting line-up.

Good solid signing. I think we have added three really strong players, all at positions of serious need. I don't believe we are the least talented team in the league anymore.

I have been giving some serious thought to our WR situation. The idea came to mind that, with all the talk of how bad our receivers have been, maybe the new coaching staff thinks that all the negativity could give someone a chip on their shoulder and break out this year? Is there anyone that you could see really stepping up and becoming a difference maker? I fully expect Amendola to show up and compete hard, but I think we know what he has. I am thinking maybe Pettis. The one thing that really impressed coaches about him coming out of college was his work ethic and how he studies the game. It could be that he never really got into a routine his rookie year with the lockout and all. Just a theory.

I don't mean in any way that we should stand pat with the guys we have. We need to pull a stud from the draft. What I am suggesting is that if we draft Blackmon and then Pettis, or maybe Gibson, has a breakout year, then we could have a nice pair to build on.

stlouisfan37
03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Some 2011 video...

Jeffery vs ECU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ApznKf4DU

Jeffery vs Kentucky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8q3ZDtEVZE&feature=related

Some of those throws are just downright horrible.

Jeffery vs Alabama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpHPzu_wEM

- Goes up against Dre Kirkpatrick a few times.

Jeffery vs Janoris Jenkins (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5tH53cLW4U

Alshon had 6 catches for 53 yards, and as you can see had a chance at having a bigger game if Garcia was accurate on sone of his throws.

To compare, AJ Green and Julio Jones in 2010 vs Janoris Jenkins combined had 8 catches for 61 yards.

I know that videos don't tell you the whole story. I'm just trying to show you guys that Jeffery's Quarterback play was inconsistent all season in South Carolina.

I will give you that Jeffery didn't have anyone who could get him the ball last year. My beef with him isn't that he isn't a decent receiver or his ball skills. But if you watch his tape, there is always a defender within a step or two of him, regardless of whether the ball was thrown well or not, or whether he makes the catch or not. He doesn't run away from anyone, and even in full stride he looks slow. Reminds me a lot of Herman Moore, who was a great receiver in his day, but those guys just aren't real productive in today's game, and they allow teams to stack the box because you can't stretch the field with a guy who can't run past anyone.

Now, if you look at tape of guys like Blackmon or Robert Woods, they are wide open with several yards of separation a lot of the time. That to me is a huge difference in whether or not a guy's game translates to the next level. This is just my opinion. Someone else could totally fall in love with him. I just hope that someone isn't Jeff Fisher.

NGSeiler
03-17-2012, 09:01 PM
There's a question being posed on another Rams site that I moderate, so I thought I'd bring it here and see how you all feel.

Would you rather spend the sixth overall pick on...

a) Justin Blackmon
b) Mike Wallace (Steelers WR)

Discuss.

holt_bruce81
03-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Blackmon has the potential to be an elite Receiver.

Wallace IS an elite Receiver.

You have to go with Wallace.

Oh and when talking about Jeffery's dramatic fall of from 2010 to 2011.....

Michael Crabtree had 37 less receptions, 797 less yards going from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year. Oh and he had Eight 100-yard receiving games against big 12 opponents his Freshman year, just two his sophomore year

stlouisfan37
03-18-2012, 02:47 AM
There's a question being posed on another Rams site that I moderate, so I thought I'd bring it here and see how you all feel.

Would you rather spend the sixth overall pick on...

a) Justin Blackmon
b) Mike Wallace (Steelers WR)

Discuss.

Well, I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, you have a proven receiver with lots of experience and maybe the most speed in the NFL. He stretches the field and gets separation, not only for himself, but for everyone around him.

On the other hand, you have a rookie with a ton of upside that will come at probably half the price. He will never stretch the field like Wallace, but could end up being very special in his own right.

My first instinct is that the #6 pick is too much for Wallace, but is that really true, or is it due to the relativity that if the Giants struck a deal with him they would get him for the #32 pick? I'm thinking the latter. Without a doubt, if Wallace was entering this draft with the skill level he is at right now he would certainly be the most talented player in the draft.

An advantage to making a play for Wallace would be that he is not a rookie and you could sign him to a longer contract, such as 6 years as opposed to 4. There would still be an acclimation period to the new offense, but a vet like him with such skill would probably be playing at a really high level by the end of the first year, as opposed to a rookie taking a year, maybe two before he really gets a complete understanding of the NFL game.

So would I do it? Honestly, if we were closer to being a contender I would be more apt to say yes. At this point, and in this draft with so many trade possibilities due to the supply/demand ratio for quarterbacks, I would probably say no. While at first glance it is probably worth it, but what if there is another opportunity to trade down from 6 and pick up more high picks? Now you are giving up multiple picks for one guy.

Interesting debate. I can tell you this much; while it may not happen this year, it almost certainly will at some point, and when it does it will get a lot of people thinking outside the box.

BTW, what is the other Rams' website you mentioned? Can I check it out?

NGSeiler
03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Oh and when talking about Jeffery's dramatic fall of from 2010 to 2011.....

Michael Crabtree had 37 less receptions, 797 less yards going from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year. Oh and he had Eight 100-yard receiving games against big 12 opponents his Freshman year, just two his sophomore year

And do you think San Francisco has been happy with what they've received? It sounds like Crabtree may be fighting to remain a starter this offseason, what with the addition of Moss and Manningham.

BTW, what is the other Rams' website you mentioned? Can I check it out?

It's listed as the home page in my profile. :)

holt_bruce81
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
No i don't think Crabtree should be worried about losing his starting job to those two, and I would take him on the rams as our #1 in a heartbeat.

But the point I was making was in the predraft process that year I don't think that dropoff of production was mentioned once from anyone, he was always considered a top 10 selection, heck I remember some hoping the rams selected him #2 overall. The concerns for him were really the foot injury and his attitude.

But hey no sense in going back and forth, I like Alshon and you guys dont, I can respect that. And by no means am I saying Blackmon won't be good, I think he has hakeem nicks qualities.....I just think Jeffery has Fitzgerald type qualities.

Juice24
03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
If you think about the type of offense that Schotty ran with the Jets, you could make a very good comparison to Plax for Jeffery. Top of the 2nd wouldnt be a bad place to pick up a receiver with that type of production (only Plax's time with the Jets btw, not before).

However, a player like Holmes is what really was needed to get that offense on the move. Manningham and Steve Smith (Giants and Eagles) dont have Holmes' ability, but do have similar qualities. I really think Fisher is building an offense like Jets had been using.

Id be very happy with a TR and then Alshon with the first two picks when I look at it like that.

stlouisfan37
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Round 1 - Justin Blackmon, WR. Oklahoma St.
Round 2 - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Round 2 - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St.
Round 3 - Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
Round 4 - TY Hilton, WR, FIU
Round 5 - Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St.
Round 6 - Case Keenum, QB, Houston
Round 7 - Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon

holt_bruce81
03-19-2012, 04:59 AM
I like it a lot, there are other linebackers I like more than Irvin...Bobby Wagner, Travis Lewis, Lavonte David, Ronnell Lewis, Sean Spence...but overall I wouldn't mind that draft for the Rams at all.

TY Hilton is going to be a monster imo, love the pick.

NGSeiler
03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Looks solid, though I'd agree another LB besides Irvin would probably be a better fit.

holt_bruce81
03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Free agent CB Tracy Porter has scheduled visits with the Titans and Rams.Porter visited the Bengals last week. It's believed he was in Oakland visiting the Raiders on Monday. Still only 25, medical concerns may be lowering Porter's market value to the point where he'd accept a one-year, "prove-it" deal. Mar 19 - 6:24 PM

Would be a nice signing. Would probably take Claiborne off the board, which is a shame.

stlouisfan37
03-20-2012, 01:10 AM
I would be okay with any of those LB's. Actaully I have warmed on Spence since 8180 brought his name up.

Caddy
03-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Would be a nice signing. Would probably take Claiborne off the board, which is a shame.

We will be taking him off the board, so don't worry :D

holt_bruce81
03-20-2012, 02:42 AM
We will be taking him off the board, so don't worry :D

Means Trent or Blackmon is there when the Rams pick. Fine with me yo

stlouisfan37
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
So now that the QB carousel appears to be done spinning (Alex Smith is a bit irked, but he will likely stay in San Francisco), the outcome looks pretty good for a bidding war for Ryan Tannehill. Cleveland, Miami and KC all still have huge needs for a QB. I'm not sure how interested Cleveland is in him; if anyone could find any articles linking him to the Browns that would be cool.

At this point, I am totally okay with us staying put and taking the BPA at #6. It would be cool to trade down, but I only see that happening if Cleveland has no interest in him and Kansas City has to leapfrog Miami to get it done.

Another cool scenario would be if interest in him really spikes and Miami or KC moves up to #3 to take him. This would possibly drop Kalil down to us at #6, since I doubt Cleveland or Tampa would take an OT, and I doubt anyone would give up too much to trade up for Kalil when Reiff is on the board. Other than some measureables like arm length, Kalil isn't that much better of a prospect. I'm pretty sure if Kalil was sitting there at #6 we would take him, slam dunk, even if Blackmon is still there as well. I think he is the better player, and there is a lot of depth at receiver.

stlouisfan37
03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Is anyone interested in Jonathan Stewart? It has been suggested that he may be on the trading block.

What do you think he might be worth in a trade? A couple of years ago Seattle gave up a 4th rounder on draft day for Lendale White. It was generally considered that the Seahawks gave up too much for him.

I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th or 5th rounder for Stewart. Pair him up with Jackson and a rookie and suddenly we would have a loaded backfield.

Juice24
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Is anyone interested in Jonathan Stewart? It has been suggested that he may be on the trading block.

What do you think he might be worth in a trade? A couple of years ago Seattle gave up a 4th rounder on draft day for Lendale White. It was generally considered that the Seahawks gave up too much for him.

I wouldn't mind giving up a 4th or 5th rounder for Stewart. Pair him up with Jackson and a rookie and suddenly we would have a loaded backfield.

Ive heard that Carolina signed Tolbert to play FB, so Stewart may not actually be out there to be traded. If I heard wrong though and Stewart is available for a 4th then, Id be all about it. Hed be a viable backup to Jackson and the offense wouldnt change much with him in the game. 3rd down receiving back would be nice somewhere in the draft also.

stlouisfan37
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Ive heard that Carolina signed Tolbert to play FB, so Stewart may not actually be out there to be traded. If I heard wrong though and Stewart is available for a 4th then, Id be all about it. Hed be a viable backup to Jackson and the offense wouldnt change much with him in the game. 3rd down receiving back would be nice somewhere in the draft also.

Here's one of the stories I read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55627/panthers-likely-to-shuffle-backfield

I didn't realize how big Stewart is...5'10" and 235...he's built like Jackson. Not sure we really want two big bruisers.

holt_bruce81
03-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Here's one of the stories I read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55627/panthers-likely-to-shuffle-backfield

I didn't realize how big Stewart is...5'10" and 235...he's built like Jackson. Not sure we really want two big bruisers.

What do you think Trent Richardson is?

freebirdsrams02
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
So it looks like the NFL came down hard on Saints but even harder on Gregg Williams. What are some thoughts on what the Rams will do at D-Coordinator. Is there anyone available that the Rams could go out and get or someone with in the coaching staff that could take it over. At least it being that they would have a new defense any ways it's not that big of a deal to learn a new one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

NGSeiler
03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
It'll probably be McGinnis or Chuck Cecil.

Juice24
03-21-2012, 03:38 PM
It'll probably be McGinnis or Chuck Cecil.

I read on ESPN that it will be a committee of coaches Fisher, McGinnis and Cecil. Rams are installing Fishers defensive gameplan, so they havent lost any plays or anything from losing Williams

freebirdsrams02
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7719245/jeff-fisher-st-louis-rams-gregg-williams-suspension-warranted

stlouisfan37
03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
What do you think Trent Richardson is?

Richardson is 5'11" and 225. He will probably fill out to be that big. But he is very different in that he is a rookie and would be seen as someone to take over long term. Stewart has one year left on his deal, not likely to be the future here. That's where I see a difference.

I just thought Stewart was a smaller back. I realized that I had him and DeAngelo Williams mixed up in my head.

NGSeiler
03-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Richardson is 5'11" and 225. He will probably fill out to be that big. But he is very different in that he is a rookie and would be seen as someone to take over long term. Stewart has one year left on his deal, not likely to be the future here. That's where I see a difference.

So then why trade a fourth or fifth round pick for him at all?

stlouisfan37
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
So then why trade a fourth or fifth round pick for him at all?

When I originally posted this I thought I was talking about Deangelo Williams, who just signed a fresh deal last offseason. My bad...continue on...

holt_bruce81
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
How many Receivers in this draft would be the Rams #1 Receiver?

1. Justin Blackmon
2. Alshon Jeffery
3. Michael Floyd
4. Kendall Wright
5. Stephen Hill
6. TY Hilton
7. AJ Jenkins
8. Reuben Randle
9. Chris Givens
10. Mohamed Sanu
11. Ryan Broyles
12. Greg Childs

Juice24
03-21-2012, 10:46 PM
How many Receivers in this draft would be the Rams #1 Receiver?

1. Justin Blackmon
2. Alshon Jeffery
3. Michael Floyd
4. Kendall Wright
5. Stephen Hill
6. TY Hilton
7. AJ Jenkins
8. Reuben Randle
9. Chris Givens
10. Mohamed Sanu
11. Ryan Broyles
12. Greg Childs

Just Blackmon. Wright, Hill, and Jenkins could all develop into number ones though.

holt_bruce81
03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Just Blackmon. Wright, Hill, and Jenkins could all develop into number ones though.

Floyd and Jeffery couldn't?

stlouisfan37
03-22-2012, 02:42 AM
I think Floyd is better than anyone we have right now. I have already discussed at length my reasons for disliking Jeffery; that being said, if he booms rather than busts his ceiling is definitely very high.

Hilton and Broyles both look to me to be slot receivers. Broyles is probably more polished in his routes, but Hilton has a skyscraper of a ceiling simply due to his speed and explosion. He definitely has the jets to play on the outside, but if you watch him play he really looks comfortable going over the middle and maneuvering through traffic. He is always a mismatch when it comes to speed. But if you can get him on a linebacker or a safety it becomes really unfair.

I like Randle and Hill lot, although I admittedly haven't seen a whole lot of either. They are both that kind of guy who could just explode at the next level when they get into a system that gives them the opportunity to be more involved in the offense.

So far I have heard very little that is good about Sanu except from a Rutgers fan who admits that he is a total homer. Jenkins, Givens and Childs I know next to nothing about. I would like to watch more of them.

Speaking of watching tape, does anyone know of any good free or inexpensive websites that offer good tape of prospects?

Juice24
03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
@stlouisfan37 I use these two youtube channels.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JPDraftJedi?feature=g-user-c

http://www.youtube.com/user/JMPasq?feature=g-user-c

Pretty sure they are the same guy, I dont why there are two of them, but he doesnt give any opinions or anything you just get to watch tape of one or two games and make your own judgements.

Juice24
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Floyd and Jeffery couldn't?

IMO... Nope. I think they are both number two receivers. Floyd doesnt have anything in his game that stands out to me other than his blocking, everything else is good, but not great.

Jeffery has great ball skills, but I think at his best (after he develops) he plays the game similar to Boldin. That could take a few years so right now he would not be the best WR in STL.

NGSeiler
03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Rams have signed former Colts OL Quinn Ojinnaka to a one year deal.

holt_bruce81
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Barry Richardson (Chiefs OT) Robert Turner (Jet OG) and Jo-Lonn Dunbarr (Saints LB) were also visiting Rams park on Thursday.

Dunbarr would be a solid signing.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Barry Richardson (Chiefs OT) Robert Turner (Jet OG) and Jo-Lonn Dunbarr (Saints LB) were also visiting Rams park on Thursday.

Dunbarr would be a solid signing.

If you value Sam Bradford's life, don't sign Barry Richardson.

Are the Rams dead set on taking a receiver at 6? What if Blackmon is gone? I don't think there are any other receivers worthy in the top 10.

stlouisfan37
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
If you value Sam Bradford's life, don't sign Barry Richardson.

Are the Rams dead set on taking a receiver at 6? What if Blackmon is gone? I don't think there are any other receivers worthy in the top 10.

My personal opinion is that receiver is the greatest need, but we have a lot of holes, and this regime will take a BPA approach to the next few drafts.

NGSeiler
03-23-2012, 09:51 PM
My personal opinion is that receiver is the greatest need, but we have a lot of holes, and this regime will take a BPA approach to the next few drafts.

This. I anticipate the Rams will take the best player available at a position of need, not just one position of need. The Rams could very easily take Blackmon, Claiborne, Richardson, or even an offensive lineman or defensive tackle (though I'd argue they don't have as strong a case as being the BPA at that point but that's another discussion).

holt_bruce81
03-24-2012, 03:04 AM
1. Morris Claiborne
2. Trent Richardson
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Trade down
5. Riley Reiff
6. David Decastro

Anything else and ill eat my controller.

stlouisfan37
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
1. Morris Claiborne
2. Trent Richardson
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Trade down
5. Riley Reiff
6. David Decastro

Anything else and ill eat my controller.

Are you assuming that the Vikings take Kalil, or are you saying you wouldn't want him? Because there is are two scenarios where he could fall to us; one, if the Vikings actually value Claiborne over him, or two, if there becomes a bidding war for Tannehill and the Vikings trade down. More than likely someone would trade up to #5 to get him, but the possibility is still there.

NGSeiler
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
I would assume the Vikings still take Kalil, yes. That means for me, the targets should be Blackmon, Claiborne, and Richardson, in that order. It's hard for me to feel great about the value of anyone else there, really, but it is possible they go OT or DT.

stlouisfan37
03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I would assume the Vikings still take Kalil, yes. That means for me, the targets should be Blackmon, Claiborne, and Richardson, in that order. It's hard for me to feel great about the value of anyone else there, really, but it is possible they go OT or DT.

I would have to agree with this. One of these guys will be there; if Tannehill goes top 5, then we will have 2 to choose from.

I was looking at a 7 round mock and it showed us not having a 5th round pick. Was that for Lloyd?

Also, any thoughts on compensatory picks? We haven't had much to lose the past few years, but I'm thinking we should get something for Atogwe.

NGSeiler
03-24-2012, 07:41 PM
I would have to agree with this. One of these guys will be there; if Tannehill goes top 5, then we will have 2 to choose from.

I was looking at a 7 round mock and it showed us not having a 5th round pick. Was that for Lloyd?

Also, any thoughts on compensatory picks? We haven't had much to lose the past few years, but I'm thinking we should get something for Atogwe.

Yes, I believe the Lloyd pick ended up being a fifth rounder.

I doubt we get much for compensatory purposes. Maybe a 7th for Atogwe.

holt_bruce81
03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Claiborne should be #1 on every Rams fan's board.

NGSeiler
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Claiborne should be #1 on every Rams fan's board.

Well, obviously from my list, I disagree. :)

holt_bruce81
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, obviously from my list, I disagree. :)

Claiborne is a better prospect than Blackmon, he's arguably the 3rd best prospect in this class. He's a better corner than both Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden coming out. Imagine that secondary for the next five seasons with Finnegan, Fletcher and Claiborne.

Justin Blackmon is Michael Crabtree....high end no. 2/low end no. 1.

NGSeiler
03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Claiborne is a better prospect than Blackmon, he's arguably the 3rd best prospect in this class. He's a better corner than both Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden coming out. Imagine that secondary for the next five seasons with Finnegan, Fletcher and Claiborne.

Justin Blackmon is Michael Crabtree....high end no. 2/low end no. 1.

Well again, I disagree. That shouldn't come as a surprise based on our conversations from earlier this month in this thread. I know you're not high on Blackmon as it is, so I don't see us reaching common ground here. That being said, I'm not really receptive to someone telling me what my opinion should be as opposed to simply disagreeing with it.

holt_bruce81
03-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Well again, I disagree. That shouldn't come as a surprise based on our conversations from earlier this month in this thread. I know you're not high on Blackmon as it is, so I don't see us reaching common ground here. That being said, I'm not really receptive to someone telling me what my opinion should be as opposed to simply disagreeing with it.

I'm not telling you what your opinion should be, just saying why I disagree with it.

And like I said before, it's not like I don't like Blackmon, if he's the Rams selection great. I just don't think he's top 6 worthy.

stlouisfan37
03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
The Rams signed Steve Smith today.

NGSeiler
03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm not telling you what your opinion should be, just saying why I disagree with it.

Fair enough. It seemed as if you were by saying every Rams fan should have Claiborne #1 on their list, but it's not important.

Anyways, I like the Steve Smith signing. Minimal risk with a one-year deal, and probably a cheap one at that, but if he can regain his pre-injury form, he could be a solid addition to the team.

Beano
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
As I said before, it seems a very typical Rams signing.

At least we know we should be OK for slot receivers...

holt_bruce81
03-26-2012, 05:56 PM
As I said before, it seems a very typical Rams signing.

At least we know we should be OK for slot receivers...

Actually when healthy, Steve Smith is good on the outside.

holt_bruce81
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
So as the draft nears....anyone hear of any player in the later rounds the Rams have interest in?

I heard the Rams were 1 of 8 or 9 teams at McNeese St pro day to watch Safety Janzen Jackson.

I've also heard that they've worked out multiple Punters.

Juice24
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Actually when healthy, Steve Smith is good on the outside.

Thats very true. I think if hes healthy he may be able to play at a level high enough to be one of the best 2WRs in the game. And you have to keep Amendola in the slot, he can be a very reliable receiver there.

Beano
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
If you have to start a comment on somebody with "When healthy", I think you realise that it's a chance taking in hope, rather than expectation.

freebirdsrams02
03-27-2012, 05:16 PM
The Rams picked up 1 compensatory pick late in the 7th. Not much help there.

I like the Steve Smith signing, but I have to say IMO I think the pick if the Rams do stay at #6 is Justin Blackmon. I think Kalil and Claiborne will both be off the board before #6. I do think we could bait someone like the Dolphins into trading back still a few spots and picking up one of their 3 rounders and still getting Blackmon.

holt_bruce81
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Imo if we move down to #8, blackmon will be off the board by then. The jaguars are just as wide receiver starved as the Rams are.

I wouldn't mind Floyd, Decastro or Reiff there though. Heck even Kuechly.

Juice24
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
The Rams picked up 1 compensatory pick late in the 7th. Not much help there.

I like the Steve Smith signing, but I have to say IMO I think the pick if the Rams do stay at #6 is Justin Blackmon. I think Kalil and Claiborne will both be off the board before #6. I do think we could bait someone like the Dolphins into trading back still a few spots and picking up one of their 3 rounders and still getting Blackmon.

How could we bait them? I dont see anyone moving up to 6 to take Tannehill, Miami yeah, but theres not really anyone QB starved enough to take that kind of flyer on a kid thats unproven. Maybe KC or Dallas, but I dont think theyd pull the trigger.

If Richardsons there though we might get a call from some team to move up, but the closest team I could see doing that, that might want him, is the Jets (not likely).

NGSeiler
03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
If you have to start a comment on somebody with "When healthy", I think you realise that it's a chance taking in hope, rather than expectation.

Which is why it was a one-year deal and is likely worth a small amount. He may not even make it out of camp, really, but the risk is minimal and the reward could be decent.

stlouisfan37
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
How could we bait them? I dont see anyone moving up to 6 to take Tannehill, Miami yeah, but theres not really anyone QB starved enough to take that kind of flyer on a kid thats unproven. Maybe KC or Dallas, but I dont think theyd pull the trigger.

If Richardsons there though we might get a call from some team to move up, but the closest team I could see doing that, that might want him, is the Jets (not likely).

If a trade goes down for Tannehill it will likely be because someone who desperately needs a QB, like Miami or Kansas City, leapfrogs Cleveland up to #3.

The only way I see us trading down at this point is if Kalil is still on the board. But, quite frankly, if that were to happen, I think we would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Alshon Jeffery with a 4.47 forty. Probably means he won't be there at pick #33. Sad face.

stlouisfan37
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Alshon Jeffery with a 4.47 forty. Probably means he won't be there at pick #33. Sad face.

It kind of depends on how things pan out, and who is looking for what. Everyone is looking for receivers and corners, though, so you're probably right.

holt_bruce81
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Apparently we spent a lot of time with Courtney upshaw today at Alabama's Pro Day. We also spent time with him at the Senior bowl.

Pretty interesting considering most people see him as a DE in a 4-3 and a top 40 selection. Wonder if the Rams think he can play Linebacker on the Strong side.

stlouisfan37
03-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Apparently we spent a lot of time with Courtney upshaw today at Alabama's Pro Day. We also spent time with him at the Senior bowl.

Pretty interesting considering most people see him as a DE in a 4-3 and a top 40 selection. Wonder if the Rams think he can play Linebacker on the Strong side.

Hmmm...pick #39 is in the top 40

NGSeiler
03-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Latest mock from Scott...

R1: WR Blackmon
R2: DT Still
R2: RB Wilson

I like it!

stlouisfan37
03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Latest mock from Scott...

R1: WR Blackmon
R2: DT Still
R2: RB Wilson

I like it!

I'm not sure I like David Wilson, especially over Miller and Martin. And, to be honest, I think I would rather have Lamichael James in the 3rd round. I think he is every bit as explosive, he is really good at receiving out of the backfield, and it would enable us to get a better player in the 2nd round, maybe a Kevin Zeitler or Josh Robinson.

I also really like Robert Turbin in the 4th.

For the record, I think Scott's Mocks are pretty objective. However, I have noticed over the last few years that Scott has the Rams picking a lot of players that he doesn't feel strongly about either way. I don't know if that is coincidence, or because the Rams have such a poor drafting history, or maybe the Rams are just a team that he doesn't care for or pay much attention to.