PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Angelo Fired

DI
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Per Profootballtalk and ESPN Chicago, Jerry Angelo has been fired as General Manager of the Chicago Bears.

SuperPacker
01-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Per Profootballtalk and ESPN Chicago, Jerry Angelo has been fired as General Manager of the Chicago Bears.

Slightly harsh, in 2010 they got to the AFC championship game and then this year they would of got into the playoffs if Cutler hadn't been hurt.

Grizzlegom
01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm sensing a theme here.

Dear all GMs: Its no longer good enough to simply find one quarterback, you need an elite backup as well.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Dear all GMs: Its no longer good enough to simply find one quarterback, you need an elite backup as well.

Eh, not so much. Angelo was a big Hanie backer, and actively avoided going after guys more familiar with Martz's scheme last year because he thought they'd be threats to Cutler. (Marc Bulger for instance.) He compromised on Todd Collins.

But two years in a row of backup awfulness caused this.

Now I wonder if Lovie is gone too.

I'm....indifferent on all of this right now. Not sure what to think. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

A Perfect Score
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
I personally think this is long overdue, and Lovie deserved to be fired too. That's a talented Bears team, and if not for an extreme neglect of the offensive line in past drafts, they may have been in much better shape come the home stretch. They need to bring in a new HC to work with Cutler and retool the offense, and they need to move that defense away from that Cover 2 base and work towards rebuilding into a more appropriate defensive system.

If Lovie does get the boot, I think the Bears job would have to be one of the most coveted out there.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
If Lovie does get the boot, I think the Bears job would have to be one of the most coveted out there.

ehhhh...maybe. I think this has greater potential to become a shittier situation than it does to improve. Had Cutler not gotten hurt, there's a good chance we're no worse than 11-5 right now and in the playoffs, maybe even 12-4. Most of the games we lost after he got hurt were extremely close even with our ****** backup QB situation.

But someone has to take the fall of a 7-3 team going 8-8, hurt QB or not, that just isn't acceptable in the NFL. I'm a little surprised it was Jerry...my money would have been on Martz.

So I'm reserving judgment on this move until we see who takes over and which coaches are also shown the door.

SFbear
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
So I'm reserving judgment on this move until we see who takes over and which coaches are also shown the door.

Yeah things could get a lot worse before they get better. I'd have to count the offensive line issues and his draft debacle with the Ravens as his biggest indictments recently. Apparently George McCaskey is looking to change things in Halas Hall.

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Polian to Bears. Book it.

JBCX
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
The Bears are hardly a coveted job.

I could see this team going into a Rams-like (when they fell from contender to bottom-of-the-barrel from 2004 to now) freefall next year or the year after that, given the preponderance of aging talent on that roster. More than most other teams, the Bears are largely dependent on a few aging superstars with little depth on their roster or young ascending players waiting in the wings.

Look at the cornerstones of their team: Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Devin Hester, Matt Forte, Jay Cutler. We already saw what happened when their offensive cornerstones were injured... now just imagine what will happen when Peppers, Urlacher, and the like all become old overnight or even injured (which happens to football players in their 30s).

We already know they have absolutely nothing at offensive line, and outside of Forte and Cutler, few young ascending players at offensive skill positions. The only young,ascending players you could remotely argue that they have on defense are some of the young DTs such as Henry Melton and Stephen Paea. Other than that, I don't see anybody under 30 on their roster that will step in and be an above-average player in the near future to replace the Peppers and Urlachers of the team.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Polian to Bears. Book it.

The cheap ass Bears owners? They might not be at Paul Brown levels, but the McKaskeys don't shell much out.

It wouldn't surprise me much if we just kept Lovie and promoted Tim Ruskell.

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
The cheap ass Bears owners? They might not be at Paul Brown levels, but the McKaskeys don't shell much out.

I was only being half serious. I sort of just wanted to see what your reaction would be.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I was only being half serious. I sort of just wanted to see what your reaction would be.

It would be...ill received...by me. Luckily, he'll probably cost a lot because of his history of "success" and the Bears cheapness would save us.

SFbear
01-03-2012, 10:32 AM

Well your half right so far. Lovie stays according to the Bears website. Rest of the staff is being evaluated whatever that means.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
The Bears were caught in a weird situation, because they chose to give up two first round picks for Cutler a few years ago when they probably should have committed to rebuilding.

They got one really good year out of it so far, and the rest has been very "meh." Angelo's been a pretty craptastic drafter since 2007-ish, too.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Well your half right so far. Lovie stays according to the Bears website. Rest of the staff is being evaluated whatever that means.

I bet we promote Ruskell then. No new GM wants to be saddled with the old coach. Just as every new coach wants "his guy" at QB, so does every new GM want "his guy" at HC. It'd be hard to sell a new guy on being stuck with the current coach.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I couldn't be happier and while I'm super excited to see who we get to replace JA, I know beyond a shadow of doubt, that we just promote Ruskell.

And whether or not our first rounders turn out to be any good, I'm much more satisfied that we'll address a need more regularly than Jerry did.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
It would be stupid for the Bears to fire Lovie. They lost Cutler. Anytime you lose your Franchise QB, you're going to struggle. Then they lost Forte. Rough season for the Bears.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
It would be stupid for the Bears to fire Lovie. They lost Cutler. Anytime you lose your Franchise QB, you're going to struggle. Then they lost Forte. Rough season for the Bears.

I don't disagree, but someone had to take the fall for losing 5 of our final 6. Injuries are never an excuse in today's NFL. Ask Todd Haley.

JBCX
01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
They should fire Lovie for running that abomination of an outdated defensive scheme alone.

keylime_5
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't really get firing Angelo. Bears have been a little up and down, but they still won the NFC North last year and were going to win a wildcard spot for sure this year until Cutler went down. Nothing wrong with the talent on that team, I guess the grass is always greener.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't really get firing Angelo. Bears have been a little up and down, but they still won the NFC North last year and were going to win a wildcard spot for sure this year until Cutler went down. Nothing wrong with the talent on that team, I guess the grass is always greener.

Like I said, someone has to take the fall when the team crashes and burns. Injuries aren't an excuse in the NFL.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
All I'm saying is, there are teams like Bucs, Jags, Cheifs, Dolphins, and Rams looking for a head coach. Pretty sure the Colts and Chargers are going to be in that situation as well. With 7 potential openings, I'd stick with Lovie for antoher year.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 11:24 AM

I think you are right on. People talk about solid back up QB's like they are just there for the grabbing when in fact they are almost impossible to find.
I see both Indy and Chicago taking huge steps backwards with their owner's decisions to fire their GM's.
My guess is that both Polian and Angelo will quickly find jobs if they want them.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I think you are right on. People talk about solid back up QB's like they are just there for the grabbing when in fact they are almost impossible to find.
I see both Indy and Chicago taking huge steps backwards with their owner's decisions to fire their GM's.
My guess is that both Polian and Angelo will quickly find jobs if they want them.

Solid backups are pretty hard to find. I think they thought they were in good hands the way Hannie performed in the NFC title game.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I personally think this is long overdue, and Lovie deserved to be fired too. That's a talented Bears team, and if not for an extreme neglect of the offensive line in past drafts, they may have been in much better shape come the home stretch. They need to bring in a new HC to work with Cutler and retool the offense, and they need to move that defense away from that Cover 2 base and work towards rebuilding into a more appropriate defensive system.

If Lovie gets fired, you'll be enjoying those 4-12 years for quite some time.

BloodBrother
01-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't like this news. I was quite fond of Angelo as the Bears GM

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
From the Chicago Sun-Times beat writer:

"Names I've heard from NFL executives: Marc Ross of the Giants, Eric DeCosta of Ravens, Will Lewis of the Seahawks & Les Snead of Falcons"

Stay away from Ross!!! He's ours forever.

CameronCropper
01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
It has been a long, long time coming.

Can't say I'd be upset to see Lovie go either, to be totally honest.

Babylon
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
It has been a long, long time coming.

Can't say I'd be upset to see Lovie go either, to be totally honest.

I think you're right on there in saying it's been a long time coming because if you're firing a guy because your QB gets hurt then you're being run by idiots to start with.

Shane P. Hallam
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Eric DeCosta the big rumor for the position right now via Albert Breer.

Brothgar
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Mike Martz is out to via ESPN breaking news. Resigns or fired I'm not so sure.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Mike Martz is out to via ESPN breaking news. Resigns or fired I'm not so sure.

Resigned. Here's what I posted in the other thread about it:

But every year he'd start trying to revert back to his Greatest Show on Turf offense with 5 and 7 step drops and empty backfields....Would get Cutler killed for 5 or so weeks before adjusting. Did the same thing once Hanie took over as starter.

His inability and/or unwillingness to adapt permanently did him in.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I was looking for a thread to say, "congratulations, the Mad Martz is finally gone." I hate him, he's seriously overrated, and has too big of an opinion of himself. You're offensive line is going to magically have its sacks cut in half next season and maybe a pro bowler.

Gay Ork Wang
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I want an OC that:

Uses all sorts of Rollouts.
Uses Audibles.
Passes and Runs 50-50 please.
No more 50% 7 Step Drops.
Also no FB Dives on 2nd and 14. Looking at you Ron Turner.

Can someone make a case for someone?

Saints-Tigers
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Someone on ESPN mentioned Bill Polian going to the Bears. Omg, that would be hilarious for this forum (Sorry BB).

Prowler
01-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Can you imagine the awesome undersized cornerbacks? The endless supply of slot receivers? And my God! Directional punters! Hell, they might even draft 3 centers next year. Polian is going to have a lot of work to do to replace Urlacher and Briggs. If you want to know why he's going to do that, well he'll never tell you.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Someone on ESPN mentioned Bill Polian going to the Bears. Omg, that would be hilarious for this forum (Sorry BB).

I might just revert to being a fan of no team, and just following the sport as a whole. I practically already did that once it became clear the Bears were done this year.

The one saving grace, and the only time this could possibly be a good thing, is that the McCasekeys are cheap as hell and Polian will probably be expensive.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I might just revert to being a fan of no team, and just following the sport as a whole. I practically already did that once it became clear the Bears were done this year.

The one saving grace, and the only time this could possibly be a good thing, is that the McCasekeys are cheap as hell and Polian will probably be expensive.

Welcome to my life. It's not so bad, actually.

A Perfect Score
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I will be ******* livid if we lose DeCosta. He's legit one of the best talent evaluators in the league right now, and he's central to our war room. He's supposed to be the heir apparent to Ozzie, I guess if he takes it he just got tired of waiting.

BeerBaron
01-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I will be ******* livid if we lose DeCosta. He's legit one of the best talent evaluators in the league right now, and he's central to our war room. He's supposed to be the heir apparent to Ozzie, I guess if he takes it he just got tired of waiting.

If the Bears **** the Ravens twice in two offseasons, what does that really say about your FO?

Prowler
01-03-2012, 05:10 PM
As a neutral third party, I'll handle the retort.

"The Raven's offseason consists of a playoff bye. What seed did the Bears get in the playoffs? **** that over."

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM

I just turned off a Bear's radio station and they made it clear that Lovie is calling all the shots and the new GM will have to do as he is told.
Let's hope it isn't a repeat of the 2007,8,9 seasons when Lovie had a huge say according to the radio station.