PDA

View Full Version : Your Cowboys Big Board

JJJ888
03-27-2007, 12:16 PM
We already have a thread about who your favorite player at each position is, so I think it's about time that we have a thread with you entire big board for the Cowboys draft. Let's leave out the guys who are surefire top 10 picks for now (i. e. Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Russell, etc.).

I'll get mine up in about 1/2 an hour.

leroyisgod
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
We already have a thread about who your favorite player at each position is, so I think it's about time that we have a thread with you entire big board for the Cowboys draft. Let's leave out the guys who are surefire top 10 picks for now (i. e. Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Russell, etc.).

I'll get mine up in about 1/2 an hour.

Is there really a consensus top 10? I mean guys like Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Thomas, Adams, Johnson are probably the only sure fire top 10 picks.

slimx37
03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
how bout this as a big board for 22
1. chris houston cb
2. robert meacham
3. darryl revis cb
4. dewayne jarret wr

JJJ888
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Is there really a consensus top 10? I mean guys like Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Thomas, Adams, Johnson are probably the only sure fire top 10 picks.

I would say that Johson, Thomas, Peterson, Quinn, Russell, Landry, Adams, Brown, Lynch and Okoye certainly won't fall to us...but I'll let you define how you want to do it.

LSUALUM99
03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I disagree, I've seen Levi Brown rated as low as low 20's by people like Mike Mayock. Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Anderson are also possible falling players.

The only 'locks' for us not to have a shot at after 10 are AD, Quinn, Russell, Johnson, Thomas, Adams and Landry.

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I think JJJ is just trying to elimate some of the ridiculousness. So if you feel someone will be available outside of the top 10 and wish to put them on your big board.... Go for it.

Here's mine as of 3/27/07.

1. Alan Branch - 34 inch thighs! That's my waist! Is all we really NEED next year. Could get major playing time right away. Pivotal piece of the 3-4.
2. Chris Houston - Great field production, great measurables... My kind of guy.
3. Dwayne Jarrett - Clutch. Playmaker.
4. DeMarcus Tyler - The need is glaring and Tank is a bad ass muthafkr.
5. Aaron Ross - The guy just jumps out on film. Very impressive prospect w/Safety versatility.
6. Jarvis Moss - Ware + Moss = Beastly Pass rush.
7. Joe Staley - I still have a lot of questions about him.
8. Dwyane Bowe - Smooth WR who is the complete package.
9. Patrick Willis - Would turn into the heart of the defense sooner rather than later.
10. Adam Carriker - This low due to the youth we already have at the position.
11. Ben Grubbs - Premium quality beef.
12. Robert Meachem - Workout warrior?
13. Paul Posluszny - Tantalizing prospect who will do damage in the NFL.
14. Darrelle Revis - Stock dropping big time on my board.
15. Marshawyn Lynch - If the guys above are gone and we don't have a trade partner.

Noteable Ommissions:
Leon Hall - Diminutive CB who I just never liked.
Ted Ginn - Too high of a bust factor and the rewards don't exceed that of other top WRs.
Michael Griffin - Safety concerns are not at the top of the list.
Reggie Nelson - I just don't buy it with Hamlin on board. If Hamlin doesn't work out, we can address it again next year.

JJJ888
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Ok here it is:

1. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan—A cornerback with superb instincts and football smarts who can jam, blitz, cover man-to-man, or play zone. Will be the nickel corner some of 2007 and certainly in 2008, then can assume the starting position as Anthony Henry begins to wear down. Also has the ability to play free safety in case Hamlin and/or Watkins don’t pan out. (Note: I included Hall since there seems to be some discrepancy among different teams' rankings of the cornerbacks in the draft).

2. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan—The only player in the entire draft with the potential to start at nose tackle this season, Branch is a massive player with the potential to get even bigger. If he plays to his potential, Branch has the largest potential impact of almost any player in the draft on the Cowboys this season. There are, however, questions about his motor and determination. Nevertheless, Branch is a fantastic athlete and even has the potential to play end in the 3-4.

3. Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC—Jarrett excelled in college; he was one of the game’s most productive receivers while playing against top competition nearly every week. Has amazing hands and seems always to make the catch in traffic. A definite red-zone threat because of his size and leaping ability. Adequate, albeit not spectacular, route-runner. Jarrett is not a deep-threat, but will occasionally make the play deep by taking advantage of match-ups with smaller, weaker corners. Has the potential to be a #1 wide receiver, but the question is as to where he would fit in for the time being.

4. Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh—A corner who is solid in all areas, but excels in none. Can play physical at the line, or back off and play zone. Is also a good tackler who can help in run support. Unlike Hall, he does not have experience at free safety, but he can contribute in the near-term future as a return man. Like Jarrett, however, his role this season would have to be determined, since there seems to be no definite place for him in the defensive backfield.

5. Aaron Ross, CB, Texas—Another excellent athlete with great potential as a corner. Has good speed and size, which he uses to his advantage both in coverage and run support. Won the Thorpe Award this season and is a local prospect. Also would contribute in the return game, but like Revis, his role for this season would seem undetermined.

6. Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State—An amazing athlete with more than enough speed to be a deep threat. Is still very raw and has amazing potential, one of those guys who could define the word “playmaker.” His height is somewhat questionable, but he is not known as a possession receiver who needs to use his body to ward off defenders. Might complement Crayton better if Crayton ever becomes a starter. Ginn can certainly contribute as a return man.

7. Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee—Has a great blend of size and speed, Meachem can be either a possession receiver or a deep threat. Is good, not great, after the catch. Will struggle against physical corners and going into the middle of the field. Nevertheless he has good hands and plenty of upside, and may be the most rounded receiver in the draft after Calvin Johnson.

8. Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss—A great athlete who can do whatever it takes to be a linebacker on the NFL level. Plays well against the run and on the blitz and is solid in coverage. Would definitely add speed to a position that is seemingly lacking in that quality and could immediately contribute in the nickel. Also could be a very good team leader. Has the size to play inside linebacker in the 3-4. (Note: the more I think about this, the more I like Willis…he may be moving up).

9. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU—A solid, but not spectacular receiver who does the little things. Bowe is a great route-runner and has very good hands with excellent size. Like Jarrett he is not a deep threat, but is certainly a solid red zone threat. Will not make the amazing catch like Jarrett. Very coachable and has lots of potential.

10. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas—A corner with top speed and ability in man-to-man. May not have that same potential in zone, due to his lackluster size and strength. Does not have great instincts. Could be a workout warrior and one of the potential busts of the draft.

11. Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn—A guard with raw potential who can provide solid depth this year, and the potential to be a high-quality starter in the future.

12. Justin Blalock, OG/OT, Texas—A former tackle with amazing strength who will most likely play guard in the pros, but can also provide insurance at tackle. His inconsistency puts him slightly below Grubbs at this point.

13. Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan—A tremendous athlete with quick feet, smarts, and good strength. Can be the future at left tackle once Flozell moves on or retires.

Other guys to consider (possibly with a trade down):
Marcus McAuley
Arron Sears
Sidney Rice
Demarcus Tyler

LSUALUM99
03-27-2007, 03:33 PM
My big board ( I won't really comment on them since they've been 'scouted' already).

1) Aaron Ross
2) Darrell Revis
3) Robert Meachem
4) Patrick Willis
5) Dwayne Bowe
6) Alan Branch
7) Chris Houston
8) Brandon Merriweather / Michael Griffin (based on BPA, not necessarily a need position, but Hamlin's deal is only a short term deal).

thule
03-27-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't exactly like the word big board...I'll put down what I have
possible targets in bold
Tier One
1.Calvin Johnson
2.JaMarcus Russell
3.Brady Quinn
4.Joe Thomas
5.Adrian Peterson - If he feel out of the top 10 and we could ship JJ I would want him.
6.Laron Landry
7.Gaines Adams
8.Adam Carriker
9.Leon Hall - Worth moving up some spots if he falls

Second Tier
10.Jamaal Anderson
11.Amobi Okoye
12.Darrelle Revis - Best CB we have a chance at.
13.Patrick Willis
14.Levi Brown - Future LT maybe trade up if he's still around after 15
15.Alan Branch - Trade up if he falls past SF
16.Ted Ginn - Great pick if available at 22
17.Marshawn Lynch
18.Jarvis Moss -
19.Reggie Nelson
20.Robert Meachem
21.Dwayne Bowe - Would take him if we moved down a bit.

Tier Three
22.Paul Posluszny
23.Dwayne Jarrett - Could be BPA at 22.
24.Chris Houston
25.Joe Staley - Future LT
26.Greg Olsen
27.Aaron Ross - Slight reach..but just what the doctor ordered
28.Ben Grubbs - Interior OL depth is needed
29.Anthony Spencer - Favorite pass rusher in the draft
30.Charles Johnson
31.Jon Beason
32.Lawrence Timmons

Tier 4
34.Ryan Kalil
35.Michael Griffin
36.Justin Blalock - Versatility and depth
37.Brandon Meriweather
38.Tony Ugoh - darkhorse imo if we move down
39.DeMarcus Tyler - Can't argue with his ability
40.Trent Edwards
41.Marcus McCauley - My Fav
42.Drew Stanton
43.Aaron Sears - Someone who could do could things for us depth wise
44.Sidney Rice - If he is avail at 53 we take him
45.Brian Leonard

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok here it is:

1. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan—A cornerback with superb instincts and football smarts who can jam, blitz, cover man-to-man, or play zone. Will be the nickel corner some of 2007 and certainly in 2008, then can assume the starting position as Anthony Henry begins to wear down. Also has the ability to play free safety in case Hamlin and/or Watkins don’t pan out. (Note: I included Hall since there seems to be some discrepancy among different teams' rankings of the cornerbacks in the draft).

4. Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh—A corner who is solid in all areas, but excels in none. Can play physical at the line, or back off and play zone. Is also a good tackler who can help in run support. Unlike Hall, he does not have experience at free safety, but he can contribute in the near-term future as a return man. Like Jarrett, however, his role this season would have to be determined, since there seems to be no definite place for him in the defensive backfield.

6. Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State—An amazing athlete with more than enough speed to be a deep threat. Is still very raw and has amazing potential, one of those guys who could define the word “playmaker.” His height is somewhat questionable, but he is not known as a possession receiver who needs to use his body to ward off defenders. Might complement Crayton better if Crayton ever becomes a starter. Ginn can certainly contribute as a return man.

10. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas—A corner with top speed and ability in man-to-man. May not have that same potential in zone, due to his lackluster size and strength. Does not have great instincts. Could be a workout warrior and one of the potential busts of the draft.
I'll just add a few comments on the ones that I don't see eye to eye with you on.

Hall - He frequently disappeared in big games which concerns me. He was surrounded by elite talent and I think he's been somewhat a beneficiary of that.

Revis - The reason why he is significantly down on my list is because he seems to lack game speed. His overall production is limited to a few highlights where it seems he was lucky. He's shown 3rd round production, but will probably be drafted mid to late 1st round. From reports I've read, he's not a good student of the game. Graded by his upside, but that may not ever be reached.

Ginn - I think he has one of the highest ceilings of most draft prospects this year. But I have my doubts that he'll ever get there. I think of him as a track star more than a football player. A one trick pony at this point. Average hands, doesn't make good adjustments to the ball in the air, route running is below average and is a poor blocker.

Houston - I have to respectfully disagree with you on your analysis of him. He was the undisputed top SEC corner during the 2006 season. He started the season off with a bang by playing a very physical game against USC's Dwayne Jarrett, effectively removing him from the game. He's carried that physicality and aggressiveness right through the season while facing some of the toughest receivers in the SEC (Robert Meachem, Andre Caldwell, Dwayne Bowe, Earl Bennett, Sidney Rice).

Lackluster strength??? He possesses unequaled strength for the position. At the combine, he did 27 bench reps, more than most offensive and defensive linemen.

He's got great strength and physicality, combined with aggressiveness. Houston takes many receivers out of the play immediately after the snap with a great jam at the LOS. He has great hand placement and can knock the receiver off balance immediately. If Houston is playing off the receiver, he has quick feet in his backpedal and shows excellent hip flip to turn and run with the receiver. He has the speed to run with the fastest receivers and the height, long arms, and body control to get up and attack the ball at its highest point. He can break on the ball well when it's in front of him and has the speed to make up ground when necessary.

He could stand to improve on INTs as he is often times in position to make the play. Needs to turn some of those pass deflections into INTs. Also could stand to improve in run support.

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't exactly like the word big board...I'll put down what I have

Tier One
1.Calvin Johnson
2.JaMarcus Russell
3.Brady Quinn
4.Joe Thomas
5.Adrian Peterson
6.Laron Landry
7.Gaines Adams
8.Adam Carriker
9.Leon Hall

Second Tier
10.Jamaal Anderson
11.Amobi Okoye
12.Darrelle Revis
13.Patrick Willis
14.Levi Brown
15.Alan Branch
16.Ted Ginn
17.Marshawn Lynch
18.Jarvis Moss
19.Reggie Nelson
20.Robert Meachem
21.Dwayne Bowe

Tier Three
22.Paul Posluszny
23.Dwayne Jarrett
24.Chris Houston
25.Joe Staley
26.Greg Olsen
27.Aaron Ross
28.Ben Grubbs
29.Anthony Spencer
30.Charles Johnson
31.Jon Beason
32.Lawrence Timmons

Tier 4
34.Ryan Kalil
35.Michael Griffin
36.Justin Blalock
37.Brandon Meriweather
38.Tony Ugoh
39.DeMarcus Tyler
40.Trent Edwards
41.Marcus McCauley
42.Drew Stanton
43.Aaron Sears
44.Sidney Rice
45.Brian Leonard
I think JJJ inteded this for a Cowboys Big Board, not a general one. One that would suit our concerns.

thule
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I'll just add a few comments on the ones that I don't see eye to eye with you on.

Hall - He frequently disappeared in big games which concerns me. He was surrounded by elite talent and I think he's been somewhat a beneficiary of that.
Showed at the combine that noone was really on the same level..that really erased the surrounded by elite talent questions for me

Revis - The reason why he is significantly down on my list is because he seems to lack game speed. His overall production is limited to a few highlights where it seems he was lucky. He's shown 3rd round production, but will probably be drafted mid to late 1st round. From reports I've read, he's not a good student of the game. Graded by his upside, but that may not ever be reached.
I'm surprised your so down on him. He has the ability to play FS as well..which you seem to love about Ross. I don't know where you've read about his study habbits. But everything I've read shows good recognition in all types of coverage. He can play either CB position...One quote that really questions where you got he wasn't a student of the game is this one "Smart player who thinks well on his feet and can handle different assignments, making him more than capable to digest a complicated playbook". 3rd round production....please eight interceptions, 25 pass deflections in 35 games is first round production.

Ginn - I think he has one of the highest ceilings of most draft prospects this year. But I have my doubts that he'll ever get there. I think of him as a track star more than a football player. A one trick pony at this point. Average hands, doesn't make good adjustments to the ball in the air, route running is below average and is a poor blocker.
Noone will truely know...I agree with everything here

Houston - I have to respectfully disagree with you on your analysis of him. He was the undisputed top SEC corner during the 2006 season. He started the season off with a bang by playing a very physical game against USC's Dwayne Jarrett, effectively removing him from the game. He's carried that physicality and aggressiveness right through the season while facing some of the toughest receivers in the SEC (Robert Meachem, Andre Caldwell, Dwayne Bowe, Earl Bennett, Sidney Rice).
Can't knock his production...I'm still worried about his mental game. Really he is a lock and and play CB...he breaks out of his backpedal to early more often then not...this spells pass interference to me. Ahmad Carroll 2.0

Lackluster strength??? He possesses unequaled strength for the position. At the combine, he did 27 bench reps, more than most offensive and defensive linemen.

He's got great strength and physicality, combined with aggressiveness. Houston takes many receivers out of the play immediately after the snap with a great jam at the LOS. He has great hand placement and can knock the receiver off balance immediately. If Houston is playing off the receiver, he has quick feet in his backpedal and shows excellent hip flip to turn and run with the receiver. He has the speed to run with the fastest receivers and the height, long arms, and body control to get up and attack the ball at its highest point. He can break on the ball well when it's in front of him and has the speed to make up ground when necessary.

He could stand to improve on INTs as he is often times in position to make the play. Needs to turn some of those pass deflections into INTs. Also could stand to improve in run support.

answers in bold

thule
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I think JJJ inteded this for a Cowboys Big Board, not a general one. One that would suit our concerns.

I'll edit it then.

TNewFan41
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Here is my big board on OUR needs:

1. Reggie Nelson- I know we sign Hamlin, but it was dirt cheap, and he isn't really a true FS. If Nelson is on the board I still don't see how we can pass him up. It could be the answer at FS we have been looking for all of these years.

2. Robert Meachem- He is a great all around WR. Great size to speed ratio, good production in college. Has some of the best hands in the draft. He did only have one great year as a junior, but he has all the tools to be a great NFL WR, and could be our future #1. We wouldn't miss a beat when Glenn, T.O., or both leave.

3. Levi Brown- A good all around OT. He may or may not be here at this point, but he is worth having on the big board. He could be our future LT if and when Flo leaves via FA. Can play both tackle positions. Would be a steal at this point.

4. Chris Houston- Although I am opposed to a CB at 22, I am in love with this kid. He has so much raw potention it is hard not to like him. One of the strongest pound for pound players in this draft. Also has elite measurables.

5. Jarvis Moss- I don't really like the idea of another LB as well, but if Carp moves inside I guess we have to. The wild card is Kevin Burnett, I think the FO has to find out what is Burnett's role before our draft. Is he a career back-up player until he leaves via FA, or does he become our Donnie Edwards like Thule suggests? Either way, Moss is a dominant pass rusher.

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
answers in bold
I can see why some people like Hall. I just don't. Too finesse, disappears in big games and I just don't see him fitting in Wade's style of defense which is hard knocks. I admit, he's got plenty of speed, fluid hips, and the talent is there. However, I don't see the fit. As a FS, I almost hate the idea.

Revis as a FS is a different outlook than at CB. At CB, I'm not his biggest fan. I think he'll get beat a lot in the NFL especially by the smaller faster recievers. He's a step slower than Houston and Hall. As far as the him being a student of the game, I would say that his numbers certainly don't show improvement over time. It does show consistency, which is good, but the fact that there is no growth bothers me. He looks slow on film.

From Scouts Inc. "Lacks elite speed and quick-twitch athleticism. His hips are fluid but he doesn't display ideal lateral quickness. He will struggle to match-up one-on-one versus NFL's quicker and faster wide receivers. While he is elusive and shows some burst as a return man, he lacks ideal acceleration in that department. However, he is a fluid cover corner with very good size, natural instincts and toughness. He displays adequate man-to-man cover skills but we feel he's better suited to play in a zone-heavy defensive scheme. Adding to Revis' NFL value is his potential to make an impact as a punt-return specialist."

Once again it boils down to on field production. Pittsburgh didn't have many hard games on their schedule...so his stats don't impress me much. He wasn't matched up against top competition.

He is on my big board though... just a bit down on it.

D-Fence
03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
1) Reggie Nelson - If he's there at 22, I don't see why we wouldn't sprint to the podium...Hamlin is a one year deal, and there's a great chance he doesn't resign here if he has a good year. (Too much money, Newman will be top priority)...So, I say use him as a veteran leader for a year to groom Nelson, and give the job to Reggie full time in 2008. Nelson could also step in on nickel packages and play some corner if Henry/Newman/Glenn were to miss time with injuries...

2) Adam Carriker - He may be available only a few spots before we draft, and if he is, he'd be a guy I'd love to see the Boys make a move for. He's big, athletic, and worked out EXTREMELY well at the combine...He'd be a great way to improve the play of our DL.

3) Robert Meachem - I think, outside of CJ obviously, he'll be the best receiver outta this draft. Big, fast, physical...GREAT after the catch and runs through alot of tackles...Meach has it all, and looks like a Terrell Owens-esque player to me. Would have big impact immediately.

4) Chris Houston - Another good looking CB prospect that would boost the play of the defense from the jump. He's a little small, but he's strong enough, fast enough and athletic enough to make up for it. Another good fit for depth in the secondary.

5) Jarvis Moss - Putting Moss opposite Ware would be TROUBLE for opposing OTs. These two would get constant pressure on the QB, and if there weren't alot of depth in terms of 3-4 LBs in this draft, I'd have him higher on my list. Look at Jacob Ford early in Day 2 if Moss isn't the pick in round 1.

6) Darrelle Revis - Maybe I'm the only one, but I think Revis has got the potential to be the best corner in the draft. I was never blown away by Leon Hall for some reason. Revis needs some grooming, but he's got natural shutdown ability and he's got good size and speed.

7) Justin Blalock/Ben Grubbs - I think OL is more of a 2nd-3rd round need at most right now, and ideally I'd love to see Manuel Ramirez from Texas Tech be our choice in either of those rounds...But adding either one of these guys would be fine with me if Jerry could manage to trade down for an extra first day pick...

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-28-2007, 04:16 AM
The players I have my eyes on:

First Rounders

Branch
Adams
Ginn
Moss

Second Round

Tyler
Griffin
Houston
Blaylock
Mosses

Third Round

Charles Johnson
Crowder
Robinson

If Mosses is there in the third, I think you have to take him unless you already have someone drafted at olb.

Also, can Soliai from Utah play? I cant say I watched him play, and if I did he didn't leave an impression on me. Any comments anyone has on him I would like to read. But if he is there late, how can you not draft that size?

leroyisgod
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
1. Chris Houston-CB- fast and physical CB
2. Jarvis Moss-DE- can add another speed rusher on the outside
3. Robert Meachem-WR- fast WR with a lot of upside
4. Aaron Ross-CB- can play either CB or S
5. Justin Blalock- G- beast
6. Adam Carriker- DE- great motor and we need depth at DE
7. Tank Tyler- DT- we need depth at NT
8. Patrick Willis- ILB- NOt sure if he'll fit into the 3-4, but has a lot of potential
9. Anthony Spencer- DE-could be a good fit at OLB
10. Dwayne Jarrett- WR- I'm not big on him, but has good upside and is a big receiver

Ward
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Wow, nobody likes Blalock.

TNewFan41
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I do. O-Line all the way.

TNewFan41
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't care that Revis ran a 4.38 and 4.41 at his pro-day, on the field he is SLOW AS HELL. You know that highlight they show of him when he returns that INT for a TD on ESPN and all the other networks? He is so slow running it back it isn't even funny. In my opinion he should be a FS, and I don't even know if he has the speed for that.

D-Unit
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow, nobody likes Blalock.
Not at 22.

D-Unit
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't care that Revis ran a 4.38 and 4.41 at his pro-day, on the field he is SLOW AS HELL. You know that highlight they show of him when he returns that INT for a TD on ESPN and all the other networks? He is so slow running it back it isn't even funny. In my opinion he should be a FS, and I don't even know if he has the speed for that.
Hmmm... this sounds familiar... Revis having slow game speed.... I wonder who got that thought in your mind? HA ha ha! Shall I PM you my next thoughts?

At least you're good at getting my thoughts out and exaggerating it 100xs over. :D

HEISMANHERSCHEL
03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I think everyone likes Blalock. What's not to like? Most people just think we would get him later than 22. Guards don't go as high as certain other positions, all things being equal.

And I will assume no one has seen Soliai play, since no one answered my question about him. I am assuming this because the alternative is no one reads my posts, and that would hurt my feelings.