PDA

View Full Version : Tavon Austin, WR, WVU

DBNYDP
01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
So I met this guy earlier this year and I had no clue who he was, he introduced himself and we talked for a bit, and he seemed like a good kid so I looked him up and I was amazed.

He's a playmaker who is incredibly elusive and has top end speed/acceleration/vision . I haven't really heard of him on here and I just got reminded of him the other day so what are your thoughts?

For those who haven't seen him here are some videos -->

5gEGRxuZAx8
eh4Nq4h304o

TACKLE
01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Tavon has been killing it tonight.

ElectricEye
01-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Well, we damn sure know Clemson can't do a thing to stop him. Looks like he well could catch on as a slot guy in the NFL.

ellsy82
01-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Tavon has been killing it tonight.

Any lingering worries about that car accident he was in? Specifically the neck injury?

He's certainly been unstoppable tonight.

703SKINS202
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
He has a shot to be a Desean Jackson/Antonio Brown type player in this league. He might be more agile than both and was deadly on sweeps last night. He's simply electric the more he gets the ball in his hands.

DBNYDP
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
One of the things I love about him is that you can totally tell he was a running back in high school. He runs like a running back after the catch or on a sweep, he keeps his body low to the ground so even if you can catch up to him it is really hard to take him down. Also he has pretty great vision which is why he had so much success on sweeps last night even when WVU wasn't really doing a great job getting out there to block.

BoneKrusher
01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
He has a shot to be a Desean Jackson/Antonio Brown type player in this league. He might be more agile than both and was deadly on sweeps last night. He's simply electric the more he gets the ball in his hands.

yeah, he kicks ass.

StickSkills
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I remembered following him when he was being recruited and thought he looked pretty good. Didn't watch him at WVU, but heard from friends that go there that he's a great player for them.

DBNYDP
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Thoughts on stock? Before the game I saw a solid 3rd round pick.

Right now though I think he's going in the second. If he comes out not only will he have this amazing bowl game which will be fresh in our minds, but I have a feeling he is going to light up the combine. I think we're talking about close to 4.3 speed. I feel like I remember reading that he was timed at something ridiculous as 4.28 in one of the offseasons, I'll try to find it but needless to say I think he is going to be one of the top speedsters at the combine.

DBNYDP
12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Bump!
Had a pretty great year, and showed a lot of versatility towards the end of the year. Bowl game was less than stellar but conditions certainly affected that. I don't think he's a number one receiver but he definitely looks like he is a number one weapon for a team. Compares well to Percy Harvin for me, I'd take him anywhere past 20.

jballa838
12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
He's becoming a New England Patriot. We've all just come to accept this at this point.

fishspinners
12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
No doubt Austin will be a playmaker in the NFL. If he is around when Denver picks, he might be a rookie of the year contender.

bigbuc
12-31-2012, 03:11 AM
I want the Bucs to draft this guy so bad. Him, Vjax, Williams and Martin.

Monomach
02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I know everyone's in love with him, but I really hope the Bears pass on him. I'd take a chance in round four, but I overwhelmingly smell a bust. I think someone's going to pull the trigger in the second round and get burned badly. One of my least-wanted "names" in the draft.

fatso
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
I love Tavon, and I'd love it if he somehow went to the niners at 31. He'd be perfect on the screens and reverses we had Manningham doing.

rawdawg
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I know everyone's in love with him, but I really hope the Bears pass on him. I'd take a chance in round four, but I overwhelmingly smell a bust. I think someone's going to pull the trigger in the second round and get burned badly. One of my least-wanted "names" in the draft.

He needs to go to the right situation. It's hard to imagine the Bears being that situation because I've never seen anything resembling a good Bears offense. But Trestman is supposedly a genius, so if he can't use him maybe nobody can.

That being said, I don't take him at 20. If you can get a trade down and get him very late 1st while picking up a pick (don't have a 3rd), then fine. But I don't like picking a WR top 25 unless I think he can be the X or Z receiver. I'd rather wait a round and get Wheaton or a couple and get Goodwin or Stills.

Iamcanadian
02-27-2013, 02:23 AM
I think he is going to be a monster at the next level. He not only has speed but is extremely quick in and out of his breaks and is going to give NFL CB's nightmares. He's a Desean Jackson clone and will have that type of impact. If he lasts till round 2 which is very questionable IMO, the only reason will be his size which cost Jackson, round 1 in his draft year.

stlouisfan37
02-27-2013, 03:32 AM
I think he is going to be a monster at the next level. He not only has speed but is extremely quick in and out of his breaks and is going to give NFL CB's nightmares. He's a Desean Jackson clone and will have that type of impact. If he lasts till round 2 which is very questionable IMO, the only reason will be his size which cost Jackson, round 1 in his draft year.

I agree. I think he is the best receiver in this draft and will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. I don't see CB's being able to keep up with him. He has the speed and quickness, but also has great vision and field awareness. And, maybe most importantly, that intuitive "knack" for getting open and making big plays. While his size suggests that he may be limited to the slot, I think the opposite is true...I think he can excel at whatever he is asked to do. In the interview I saw, I came away very impressed with the way he carried himself. I think he is very humble and has always heard the size criticisms, but just chooses to defy the odds and let his play speak for itself. He has become my #1 choice for the Rams at #22.

J-Mike88
02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Kid can flat-out play.
He's no bust waiting to happen.

Good early thread here DBNYDP!

Black Bolt
02-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I agree. I think he is the best receiver in this draft and will make an immediate impact wherever he goes. I don't see CB's being able to keep up with him. He has the speed and quickness, but also has great vision and field awareness. And, maybe most importantly, that intuitive "knack" for getting open and making big plays. While his size suggests that he may be limited to the slot, I think the opposite is true...I think he can excel at whatever he is asked to do. In the interview I saw, I came away very impressed with the way he carried himself. I think he is very humble and has always heard the size criticisms, but just chooses to defy the odds and let his play speak for itself. He has become my #1 choice for the Rams at #22.

He is great, but slow down on being the best WR in the draft. He is still a slot receiver, not an outside receiver. What he can do is incredible, but ultimately, still limited. He's not winning a jump ball against A. Cromartie for example.

AcheTen (Thumper)
02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
He is great, but slow down on being the best WR in the draft. He is still a slot receiver, not an outside receiver. What he can do is incredible, but ultimately, still limited. He's not winning a jump ball against A. Cromartie for example.

He doesn't have to win too many jump balls if he beats them downfield with his speed.

This guy is going to do exactly what DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace have done in the past: beat everyone with long speed and demand double coverage downfield and open up the middle of the field for everyone else.

J-Mike88
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Slot receivers can be just as important, or more, than the wide deep threats.
Look at Boldin & Torrey Smith. Smith is the stretcher, Boldin works between the numbers... Boldin came up huge.

Obviously Wes Welker had done okay for himself, as has Percy Harvin.
Greg Jennings works mostly from the slot, with Jordy Nelson being the big stretcher.

How many games do you see where the jump ball is the critical play in the game?

It's easier to take away a deep threat with a safety over the top than it is to stop a super quick guy working in space.

stlouisfan37
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

I get what you are saying. Let me re-phrase what I meant to say.

I think he is the most polished receiver. His routes are crisp and he has well-developed skills. He has excellent hands. He will make plays from day 1. I think he is the most game-ready receiver in this draft, and will be more productive from the start than any other receiver in this draft.

Cordarrelle Patterson is widely considered to have everything to be the next Julio Jones. But he is not a polished route runner and has trouble catching the ball.

Robert Woods made everything look very easy at the Combine, but he doesn't have the explosion or speed to become more than a very good possession receiver. I see him becoming a Marques Colston type of player at the next level.

I totally agree with the comparisons to Desean Jackson. Jackson rarely, if ever, has to fight over a jump ball because he has already juked the corner by 5 yards when the ball arrives. And I don't see Austin only playing one position. I see his OC (whoever it ends up being) using him in different looks and formations to create mismatches.

kwilk103
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
he can also play a little running back; had 344 yds vs oklahoma this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

thetedginnshow
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm curious to know what people who have seen both of them think of Stedman Bailey in relation to Tavon.

SilentJaguar
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Cordarrelle Patterson is widely considered to have everything to be the next Julio Jones. But he is not a polished route runner and has trouble catching the ball.
To be fair, that's what everyone said about Julio when he was coming out too.

kwilk103
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm curious to know what people who have seen both of them think of Stedman Bailey in relation to Tavon.

bailey is underrated by draftniks imo

more productive than blackmon was (realize thats not everything)

runs great routes, great hands/body control, avg speed; will have a long, solid career as a #2; for small size, good blocker and good in the redzone

also good on ST; played on KO team and KR team; he wasnt a good returner, but if you go and watch tavon's long returns, they were all due in part to a key block or 2 by bailey

senior highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i0ZNwUURQ

JT Jag
02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Would kind of like for the Jaguars to pick him up at #33 assuming they've taken care of defensive end at #2. The Jaguars offense needs a dynamic, Percy Harvin type of element to it, and Austin could be that guy.

bigbuc
02-28-2013, 01:37 AM
It's crazy that if this kid was 3 inches taller he would be a top 10 pick

pierce2walker
02-28-2013, 02:22 AM
It's crazy that if this kid was 3 inches taller he would be a top 10 pick

This can be said about a lot of prospects.

J-Mike88
02-28-2013, 06:51 AM
This can be said about a lot of prospects.
Russell Wilson.

DiG
02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
bailey is underrated by draftniks imo

more productive than blackmon was (realize thats not everything)

runs great routes, great hands/body control, avg speed; will have a long, solid career as a #2; for small size, good blocker and good in the redzone

also good on ST; played on KO team and KR team; he wasnt a good returner, but if you go and watch tavon's long returns, they were all due in part to a key block or 2 by bailey

senior highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i0ZNwUURQ

Huge Stedman fan. I actually have him ranked just ahead of Tavon and that is not at all a knock on Tavon. I just think as a pro prospect that I prefer Stedman's ability as a true receiver. Like you said he has great hands, great route runner, and is definitely a playmaker in his own right. I haven't felt as strongly about a 2nd round prospect since Greg Jennings who was my favorite receiver in 06. Toss up this year between Stedman and Patton as my favorite but big fan of both.

Iamcanadian
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Huge Stedman fan. I actually have him ranked just ahead of Tavon and that is not at all a knock on Tavon. I just think as a pro prospect that I prefer Stedman's ability as a true receiver. Like you said he has great hands, great route runner, and is definitely a playmaker in his own right. I haven't felt as strongly about a 2nd round prospect since Greg Jennings who was my favorite receiver in 06. Toss up this year between Stedman and Patton as my favorite but big fan of both.

I doubt Bailey will see round 2, he's a round 3-5 type, nothing special but a decent prospect. He cannot touch Austin's bootstaps as a prospect.

Brown Leader
02-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Same here. I really thought he outplayed Claiborne in 11'. Not sure I'd have him over Austin but he's talented enough to go in the 2nd-though he could easily slip further.

DiG
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I doubt Bailey will see round 2, he's a round 3-5 type, nothing special but a decent prospect. He cannot touch Austin's bootstaps as a prospect.

Austin has the speed and clearly he is a fantastic playmaker but he doesn't have Baileys hands, physicality, or come close to Bailey's route running. That doesnt even begin to factor in Austins size concerns at the next level. He may not have run a blazing 40 but he absolutely is a guy that is quicker than his timed speed.

thetedginnshow
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
If you watch Bailey running the 40, it's clear that he didn't have the technique. Purely as a receiver, I think he is far more impressive than Tavon Austin.

703SKINS202
02-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Who's Stedman Bailey?

BallerT1215
02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
I just down see how Tavon Austin is a bust in the NFL - he has that playmaking ability and can line up in multiple different positions on offense.

Bailey is solid as well but I don't see anything special about him. No Offense to poster above me.

thebow305
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Gotta know how to use this guy, but he's got so much talent I wouldn't be upset if the Phins took him at 12.

JT Jag
02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Austin has the speed and clearly he is a fantastic playmaker but he doesn't have Baileys hands, physicality, or come close to Bailey's route running. That doesnt even begin to factor in Austins size concerns at the next level. He may not have run a blazing 40 but he absolutely is a guy that is quicker than his timed speed."Quicker than fast" is a term people throw around a lot, and it's the sort of thing I like to try to statistically verify if I can.

The three-cone drill and 20-yard short shuttle are both drills that were conducted at the combine that test a prospect's agility. It's not foolproof, but players that are "quicker than fast" often score higher relative on these drills than they do on the 40, while people with track speed that doesn't translate to the field might do badly in these drills.

Stedman Bailey ran a 4.52 official 40, tied for the 19th best time at the combine amongst the wide-receivers group. His three-cone was 6.81, good for 8th, and his short-shuttle was 4.09, tied for 10th.

These sorts of results are promising, and what you look for when you are trying to figure out if a player's unremarkable 40 time may have been a false negative. Bailey's speed and agility are not elite by any measurement, but they may not be pedestrian like his 40 time made him out to be. And if you like what you see on his tape, I'd say you probably shouldn't keep yourself from pulling the trigger because of a single combine drill.

phlysac
02-28-2013, 10:13 PM
"Quicker-than-fast" and 3-Cone times make me think of one player...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/ZT/ZTLATNXKQKRDHEE.20101203230925.jpg