PDA

View Full Version : Akaika Alama-Francis- Steelers Like

BigRob
03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Apparently, he is coming in for a visit on the 2nd of April.

"Currently ranked No. 43 overall in this year's draft by Scout.com NFL Expert Tom Marino, Hawaii DE Ikaika Alama-Francis already has three visits set and an important dinner engagement with the Jets this week. And find out who wants to check him out as a tight end. Ed Thompson has the details inside....

If you don't count his single year of Pop Warner football, Ikaika Alama-Francis has played just three years of organized football, beginning in his sophomore year at the University of Hawaii. But after two sensational years as a starter at defensive end, he's a hot prospect that is drawing interest at defensive end, outside linebacker, and even tight end.
A source close to the Alama-Francis told me that he's drawing so much interest that at his Pro Day on Thursday, he'll even work out as a tight end after the Giants and the Chiefs both expressed interest in him at the position.

The 6-foot-5, 280 pound athlete wasn't able to workout at the NFL Combine due to a torn pectoral muscle he sustained while playing in the Hula Bowl. But he's anxious to show that he's fully recovered and ready to play.

My source confirmed that Alama-Francis will start his first of three visits on April 1st with the Colts, will then head directly to Pittsburgh on the 2nd, and will then visit with the Cleveland Browns on the 3rd. But one team is planning to get a jump on getting to know the personable young man even better. I've been told that Alama-Francis is scheduled to have dinner this Wednesday with Jets head coach Eric Mangini in California.

Alama-Francis' star has risen quickly at the University of Hawaii under a pair of former NFL head coaches -- June Jones and Jerry Glanville, who are the head coach and defensive coordinator, respectively, at the school. Jones has been quoted as saying that he and Glanville have talked about how they never coached a defensive end as good as Alama-Francis while they were in the NFL.

To learn more about him, click here to visit his Scout.com Player Profile page. Check back at Scout.com throughout the week for my interview with Ikaika Alama-Francis and other exciting players who could be on your favorite team's draft board.

A member of the Professional Football Writers of America, Ed Thompson's NFL and college football player interviews and features have been published across the Scout.com network and syndicated through FoxSports.com's NFL team pages"

brat316
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
i say we pick him for our second pick he would be a better pick then Crowder, Scotts pick

That man Francis is a beastly player, and still has room for improvment after what 2-3 years of playing football

He was in the top 25 before his injury

Smooth Criminal
03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
With the interest this article shows we might have to get him at 15. With alot of teams with late first rounders showing this muhc interest he could be gone by our 2nd round pick.

BigRob
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
With the interest this article shows we might have to get him at 15. With alot of teams with late first rounders showing this muhc interest he could be gone by our 2nd round pick.

He is not a first round pick with the recent injury, but he will be a top half of the second round pick.

skarocksoi
03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
How about:

Bowe or trade down and take Staley in the first
Alama-Francis in the second
Robison or Shaw in the 3rd

That would be a beastly first day

Smooth Criminal
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I could see a trade down but with the physical tools this guy has I don't think he'll be there for our 2nd rounder.

brat316
03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
I do who infront of use really needs a DE, besides GreenBay, Cinicy and Falcons, those teams will either end up picking another DE or someother position like Cincy needs a S and as do the Falcons they need Linemen as well Greenbay just needs some DB and OL

But then again u never know what happens

skarocksoi
03-27-2007, 08:49 PM
He seems a little too raw to be a 1st rounder. Only 3 years of football. I couldn't see higher than a second, but maybe a high second depending on how he works out. A first rounder should have both experience and physical ability, or be an absolute physical feak in my opinion. Then as you go further in the draft its more about physical ability and potential.

mikehop05
03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
He seems a little too raw to be a 1st rounder. Only 3 years of football. I couldn't see higher than a second, but maybe a high second depending on how he works out. A first rounder should have both experience and physical ability, or be an absolute physical feak in my opinion. Then as you go further in the draft its more about physical ability and potential.

yeah if hes there in the 2nd, it may be a good pickup for us

whens his proday

BigRob
03-27-2007, 09:38 PM
yeah if hes there in the 2nd, it may be a good pickup for us

whens his proday

He had it recently, thats when he ran and teams decided to schedule private interviews.

D-Unit
03-27-2007, 09:43 PM
15 is way too high for him. His injury shouldn't be a concern though. He's ahead of schedule and will return to 100% according to doctors.

mikehop05
03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
He had it recently, thats when he ran and teams decided to schedule private interviews.

no he has it on the 29th of march, i just looked

skarocksoi
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I bet a lot of coaches will be at that pro day. We should look at their other DE too. I've heard he's pretty good too and sorta underrated.

terribletowel39
03-28-2007, 10:15 AM
How about:

Bowe
Alama-Francis in the second
Robison or Shaw in the 3rd

That would be a beastly first day

if that wouldn't be one of the greatest first days. i think francis could end up being better than carriker, he is more athletic and i think he has more pass rush moves. side note: i thought he was like 295 almost 300 lbs. the article says 280 and that some teams want him to play TE?? is that for real, that would be a waste.

D-Unit
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
The Giants and Chiefs are gonna work out Alama-Francis after his pro day tomorrow in some TE drills.

Damix
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Giants like projects, I have no idea why. We signed Jai Lewis last year as well.

terribletowel39
03-28-2007, 03:24 PM
The Giants and Chiefs are gonna work out Alama-Francis after his pro day tomorrow in some TE drills.

does anyone know why?? did he ever play a down at the TE position?? does he have good hands or something?? how is his blocking?? i'm not sure i understand this. the guy has only been playing for 3 yrs and as far as i know all of it has been DE. someone please correct me if i am wrong.

brat316
03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
its probably becuase he was a basketball player for 2 years all of a sudden he could be the next antonio gates, that people have been trying to replicate like the broncos tried it, its was luck that Gates worked out as well as he did

BigRob
03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Ikaika Alama-Francis' Pro Day Results:

www.scout.com

"Sources at the workout have told us that Alama-Francis weighed in at 276-pounds. He turned in a vertical jump of 35-inches and broad jump of 9-feet-6-inches.

Alama-Francis was not as swift as many had hoped in the forty, running times that ranged between 4.85-to-4.88 seconds.

He did looked terrific in defensive line drills showing a great change of direction and and was fluid moving about the field.

We expect to have several more reports over the next few hours so please check back."

Well, you can say goodbye to Tight-End as a position, and he was a little slower than expected. He is probably a second to third round pick at this point.

mikehop05
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
yeah hopefully that dropped him down to a 3rd rounder where we can nab him...

i still think he'll be a hell ofa player