01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Let the bidding war begin!

Brent
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/71954033.jpg

Fred Thomas

mqtirishfan
01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Champ had the higher peak, Woodson had a longer peak. For the purpose of this thread, I say Bailey as the top CB pre-Revis.

Vox Populi
01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/71954033.jpg

Fred Thomas

I raise you 2007, 2008 Jason David for the worst Saints CB.

molenguinurtle
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
No Ty Law option?

I mean, they literally changed (excuse me, enforced) rules because of this man.

MetSox17
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Give me Champ Bailey.

DraftSavant
01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
No Ty Law option?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

OSUGiants17
01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Champ Bailey had a while where he was considered the best at his position, Woodson never was. Champ still has it too.

SuperPacker
01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
They are both great players who shouldnt really be compared because they are very different. Ovbiously being a homer im going Woodson, the guy is a true offensive weapon!

Vox Populi
01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Woodson was considered a pretty underwhelming player for quite a while in Oakland after he had a few consecutive injury plagued seasons. He really turned things around in Green Bay, but because of I can't even say its close between him and Bailey. Bailey should have taken DPOTY the year that Jason Taylor won it. I remember most of this board being in agreement over that at the time too.

BigBanger
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Both Hall of Famers, first ballot guys. Champ was a better shutdown corner with a more impressive peak for the majority of his career. He's also exceptional against the run. In 2008, I believe it was, was one of the best years any CB has ever had. I think had as many INTs as completions allowed. Woodson's turf toe slowed him down greatly and he lost his man coverage ability in Oakland where it once rivaled Champ's. Now he's excelled as a zone defender, blitzer and game changer despite not being able to cover in man like he used to (still well above average).

I'd give the slight edge to Champ.

I'm also happy to see the mention of Ty Law. He should be a future Hall of Famer as well. He did everything that Darrelle Revis is doing now. Ty was great. He didn't have the longevity of greatness like these two, but when Law was in his prime, he was one of very the best CBs in the game.

Ness
01-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Define era. The last 10 or 15 years I'm guessing? If that's the case I'd say it's a toss up between Bailey and Law. Both were great players in their prime and both should be candidates for the Hall of Fame.

jsagan77
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Bailey and it's not close IMO.

JETS5128
01-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Define era. The last 10 or 15 years I'm guessing? If that's the case I'd say it's a toss up between Bailey and Law. Both were great players in their prime and both should be candidates for the Hall of Fame.

This. because if talking about the current era its Revis no questions asked

A Perfect Score
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll take Champ. He's been one of the Top 3 players at his position for a very long time.

Personally, I think Chris McAlister was the clear cut #2 behind Champ Bailey for the duration of his career, but I don't think others would be inclined to agree.

niel89
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Champ all day. During his 10 INT season that he should have won DPotY, 5 of those picks came within the 10 yard line. He took points right off the board.

J-Mike88
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Woodson for sure.
Well if you like big plays by your cornerbacks.
This guy has made huge plays since he became a Packer 6 years ago.

Sure, he's not a lockdown corner anymore, but he still makes so many big plays for us, from tackled BLOS, to strip sacks, pick-6's, etc.

Not sure what the stats would show though....

TACKLE
01-08-2012, 10:31 PM
No Ty Law option?

this was my first thought when i saw the poll.

wogitalia
01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Pretty sure that Champ had Woodson covered up until a couple of years ago when Capers put Woodson in the perfect system for him. So have to go with Bailey here.

I don't know if Woodson has ever actually been in the top 2 CBs coverage wise in his entire career at any point but you have to respect his playmaking and longevity at this point.

descendency
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I'll take Ty Law, without question.

TACKLE
01-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I voted for Champ because of consistency. I'm a big Woodson fan but some people forget he had a few pretty average years in Oakland.

Mufasa
01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Pretty sure that Champ had Woodson covered up until a couple of years ago when Capers put Woodson in the perfect system for him.
He's been very good ever since he got to Green Bay, even before Capers was there. Also let's not act like he was a no one in Oakland. He had three All Pro years there. He had a great start to his career, then kind of fell off his final years in Oakland, and then had a resurgence as soon as he got to Green Bay.

Coverage wise I'll give it to Champ, but Woodson does so much else that he makes it close. Both are Hall of Famers.

JHL6719
01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm a huge fan of both these guys going all the way back to their college days.

Ty Law as well.

Slight edge goes to Champ.

WCH
01-09-2012, 04:37 AM
I think Bailey vs Woodson is a lot like the Rod Woodson vs Primetime debate a decade ago. Bailey can obviously tackle better than Prime ever could, but the comparison is still similar. Neither Woodson was ever as good in coverage as Bailey or Sanders. As coverage corners, there was a time when they were the undisputed kings.

The Woodson's (both of them) win out as all-around DBs, and both extended their careers by taking on more hybrid duties (Rod had an All-Pro season as a FS and led the NFL in INTs at the age of 37; Chuck is basically playing as a CB/S/OLB "utility" defender and just led the league in INTs at the age of 35).

All that being said, I have a really hard time making an argument for anybody other than Ty Law.

the_dark_knight
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Bailey is clearly the winner here, there is no debate. Bailey was at the top far longer, he's just been overlooked for not being on good teams. Bailey is still out there shuttin dudes down. No one messes with the Champ.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/sports/football/indpls_colts/2003_season/tylaw.jpg

This still makes me so happy.

And this.

http://wgamthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/image-ty-law.jpg

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Woodson so overrated. Still can't believe he snaked away DPOY from revis. He does make some sexy plays picking the ball off and scoring TD's but he does still get abused by receivers.

the_dark_knight
01-09-2012, 12:31 PM
http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/sports/football/indpls_colts/2003_season/tylaw.jpg

This still makes me so happy.

And this.

http://wgamthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/image-ty-law.jpg

This is absolutely laughable.

K Train
01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
pretty clear to me that while he didnt play the whole decade, jason sehorn is the obvious choice

nepg
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
This is absolutely laughable.
Explain.

Ty Law was the best cornerback EVER for a good stretch. You had guys like Deion Sanders, who are extremely narcissistic and don't like saying anybody is better than them saying that Ty Law was the best CB that ever played during his dominant stretch.

Woodson is good, so is Bailey, but they both had stretches of not being that good. Law was better than both over the course of his career AND had a stretch where he was simply the best ever.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Explain.

Ty Law was the best cornerback EVER for a good stretch. You had guys like Deion Sanders, who are extremely narcissistic and don't like saying anybody is better than them saying that Ty Law was the best CB that ever played during his dominant stretch.

Woodson is good, so is Bailey, but they both had stretches of not being that good. Law was better than both over the course of his career AND had a stretch where he was simply the best ever.

I'll take Champ Bailey in his best season over Ty Law in his every single time, and that's coming from someone who is a pretty big Ty Law fan. I loved watching him mug receivers as much as the next guy, but there was a period of a few years where people just stopped throwing at Champ. As good as Law was, he never had that effect on an entire defense.

Not to mention, Law had the distinct advantage of playing on some of the best defenses of the era. Those early Pats teams had insane talent on D. Champ got Jarvis Moss and Courtney Brown. Come on, son.

Complex
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Explain.

Everyone knows Deion is the best corner ever. Lets stop with the homerism.

nepg
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Everyone knows Deion is the best corner ever. Lets stop with the homerism.
According to Deion, Ty Law is.

Complex
01-09-2012, 01:08 PM

No he didn't when they the top 100 players show he was upset at his rank. He also said the only he would be okay with being ahead of him was Dick Night train Lane.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Anyone who says Ty Law was a better CB then Deion Sanders is either mentally handicapped or the biggest homer the world has ever seen, and that includes Thumper, bce, JBCX, etc, etc.

It's just not true. There's no argument, there's no facts or opinions relevant here...Sanders was better. Period.

Let's just put an end to that **** right now.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I'd go
Champ
Law
Woodson

All three very very good players. Ty Law had about as dominant a peak as Champ, but once the rule emphasis came, he couldn't adapt and completely fell off the Earth. Champ Bailey isn't close to what he used to be, but he's still a damn good defensive back. Obviously Woodson has everyone beat in terms of being most effective for the longest time, but his peak wasn't quite as impressive as the other two. All three are HOF imo.

bantx
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Champ mofo bailey

Saints-Tigers
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
There was never a point that I thought Woodson or Law were as good as Champ until he began to decline.

I never thought he was as good as Deion, but Champ was the man of his era, and I think Chris McCallister had more years as number 2 than Woodson did.

CJSchneider
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Not to mention, Law had the distinct advantage of playing on some of the best defenses of the era. Those early Pats teams had insane talent on D. Champ got Jarvis Moss and Courtney Brown. Come on, son.

Very good point indeed.

bigbuc
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
They're two different players... Champ is more of a Revis type player, lining up on a WR and locking him down.

Wood is a swiss army knife- Line up on a WR, then play LB on 3rd down. Then blitz from the slot and also play some high safety and rover.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Anyone who says Ty Law was a better CB then Deion Sanders is either mentally handicapped or the biggest homer the world has ever seen, and that includes Thumper, bce, JBCX, etc, etc.

It's just not true. There's no argument, there's no facts or opinions relevant here...Sanders was better. Period.

Let's just put an end to that **** right now.

Very good point indeed.

And they won that last Superbowl with him on IR.

WCH
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
They're two different players... Champ is more of a Revis type player, lining up on a WR and locking him down.

Wood is a swiss army knife- Line up on a WR, then play LB on 3rd down. Then blitz from the slot and also play some high safety and rover.

Exactly! This is almost like comparing a 34 OLB to a 43 OLB. Woodson hasn't played as a traditional cover corner in quite a few years. As a pure cover corner, there's no doubt that guys like Bailey and Revis are better. But they also can't do most of the things that Woodson does. It's apples and oranges.

I'm still in Ty Law's corner, but people implying that he's the best CB ever makes me want to distance myself from his camp.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Exactly! This is almost like comparing a 34 OLB to a 43 OLB. Woodson hasn't played as a traditional cover corner in quite a few years. As a pure cover corner, there's no doubt that guys like Bailey and Revis are better. But they also can't do most of the things that Woodson does. It's apples and oranges.

I'm still in Ty Law's corner, but people implying that he's the best CB ever makes me want to distance myself from his camp.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

descendency
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Unless someone had already caught the ball. And then it wasn't his responsibility.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
You guys realize Deion swung the balance of power for two separate Superbowl teams in the 90s, right?

San Francisco: they get over the Dallas hump and win the Superbowl. He proceeds to go to Dallas. They win the Superbowl

Dude was ******* unreal.

Denver Bronco56
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Champ's 2006 is one of the most dominate seasons by any defensive player

Thrown at 35 times, allowed 4 receptions (almost 10% completion rate), defended 21 of those passes, tied for league lead with 10 INTS.

Also had 98 tackles (84 solo) for 3rd best on the team, trailing LB's Al Wilson (113) and Ian Gold (101).

Six of Champ's 10 INTS came inside the Broncos' 4-yard line, and 3 were inside the end zone.

EASILY the best corner of the era... he is defiantly past his prime buy still shutting top WR's down and he is great in the run game so he is not just a COVER guy he is a COMPLETE CB

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
He was our best run defender after Al Wilson's injury.

Timbathia
01-09-2012, 07:03 PM
He was our best run defender after Al Wilson's injury.

Sure, but there were several years when the turf had a better chance at tripping up a player with the ball than our linebackers or safeties.

FUNBUNCHER
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
If I want a pure playmaker, I'd take Woodson 10 times out of 10.

jsagan77
01-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I think Champ is the best CB ever, including Dieon because his game was much more complete. Dieon made a lot of plays but his tackling was lacking and he was way more of a show boat than Champ.

JetMan01
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
According to madden ratings, the indisputable and perfect system of rating players, champs been a 99 for about 3 decades now. Reason being, he's pretty damn good.

ImBrotherCain
01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
As people have stated time and time again it really is comparing apples and oranges. There is no denying how great of a player and CB Champ has been.

The reason I chose Woodson is because the I have seen what he has become over the last 6 seasons in Green Bay. He was signed as a last ditch effort to make Favre happy and has turned in to the most dynamic player on our defense. He came in as a diva and became a leader.

Woodson is just an all around player at this point. The man does basically everything. He is solid in coverage, can blitz about as well as anyone and can tackle. (Although it does seem like his every tackle is a shoestring tackle)

Admittedly I have not seen enough of Champ to make an perfect decision but in what I have seen of Woodson over the last 6 seasons makes me comfortable with my decision.