BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
First, epic music:

liAbljP1W2Y
q9kT37eIkaY
yzf09PYSuhk
mdpCnRSeshU

Bengals/Texans

Congrats to the Texans on their first playoff win in franchise history. They got everything they needed to win this one. First, a dominant game from the defense. Dalton wasn't allowed to settle down and never looked comfortable. They took AJ Green away quite effectively and forced turnovers.

On offense, Andre Johnson had a big day, as did Arian Foster and the o-line. I said a few weeks back that I think this is the best, most complete o-line in the NFL right now. Duane Brown is one of, if not thee, best LT in football. And TJ Yates played just well enough to win. Gary Kubiak should be credited with allowing him to actually turn the ball loose a little bit as he connected on a few downfield strikes for big plays.

Now...headed into Baltimore...I think the Texans playoff run ends. Baltimore is a monster team at home and that defense will be sure to confuse and frustrate a rookie QB in Yates. Baltimore is undefeated at home this year and only 3 of the games were even within one touchdown. The Texans D has the potential to slow down the Ravens offense, but I think the Ravens defense will get after Yates and create turnovers. I'm thinking that Baltimore wins by at least two scores.

As for the Bengals, they had a good run this year. I don't think you'll find a preseason playoff prediction anywhere that has them making the postseason, that in itself is an accomplishment.

They have a talented, mostly young defense with a great coordinator in Zimmer. Offensively, they appear set to become one of the league's better units over the long haul. They have a young QB and WR combo in place already with two first round drafts to play with this year. That is about as good of a situation as you can hope for with a young, developing roster.

The worst thing that could happen is them losing one or both coordinators to head coaching jobs elsewhere. Both Zimmer and Gruden have been mentioned as potential head coaching hires elsewhere. That would certainly hamstring the development of the team by interrupting continuity.

Bengals fans may not like what Marvin Lewis brings to the table, but they undeniably have a good thing going. It'll be interesting to see if they can avoid the dreaded sophomore slump next year, or if they can use their two first rounders wisely to stay strong.

Lions/Saints

Blame officiating if you want, plenty of people did, but once the Saints got rolling, the Lions weren't going to stop them.

In fact, when the Saints are rolling, no one seems to be able to stop them. Their offense is a machine that keeps right on humming. You can change out any of the parts or pieces (RBs and pass catchers) and still end up with an effective unit.

Now they head to San Francisco for one of the biggest style clashes I can recall. The Saints defense was shredded repeadedly by Calvin Johnson...but the 49ers don't exactly have a guy nicknamed after a Decipticon to do that. Instead, the 49ers will test the Saints up front with a bull dozing o-line leading the way for Frank Gore in a power running attack. Harbaugh loves keeping a FB in to block and regularly plays with extra offensive lineman. This will be an entirely different kind of test for the Saints defense.

On the other side of the ball, again, it will be interesting to see how the teams match up. San Fran has one of, if not thee, best front 7's in football. The Smiths, Willis, Bowman...I highly doubt they'll have tackling issues of the Lions front 7 at least. It's their secondary that is highly suspect to me. I don't believe the 49ers are deep enough in the defensive backfield to handle everything the Saints offense can throw at them.

I really don't know what to expect in this game. You could show me any result within reason and I wouldn't be totally shocked by it. The Saints could win big if their defensive front holds up and forces Alex Smith to try and keep up in a shootout. The 49ers could win big if they dominate the trenches and keep Brees on the sideline and the Saints offense unbalanced. Or I could see a close game either way. I really don't know what to expect and I'm highly looking forward to this game.

As for the Lions...well, you made the playoffs. That's quite the accomplishment considering your history. You fought the Saints tough early but left too many opportunities on the field. You simply cannot let Brees' passes hit you in the hands and not make the pick.

Coverage was an issue as, outside of Louis Delmas, this defense doesn't have a secondary player worth a god damn. And the tackling...woeful. Simply awful. The tackling looked like something out of their 0-16 season. Were Paris Lenon and Ernie Sims out there? WTF?

That needs addressed. It should start with the firing of Gunther Cunningham and continue with every available draft pick and free agent dollar spent on that side of the ball. Major help is needed there before the Lions take that next step.

Although, and it pains me to say this, I see similarities between this Lions team and the Packers of a few years back when they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Cardinals. The Packers offense was just starting to emerge and the defense was in a period of transition. The Cardinals with a HoF, former Superbowl champion QB in Kurt Warner hacked that defense to pieces, but the Packers played tough and came back the next year and...well, you know the rest.

Falcons/Giants

My (non-wildcard) "wildcard" of these playoffs headed in was the NY Giants. I had no idea what they would do and could envision scenarios where they beat any other team or lost to any other team.

So far, they're beating people. Their defense in particular absolutely took it to the Falcons, pitching a defensive shut out. (The safety was on the offense.) That means in the last three weeks, the Giants defense has held opposing offenses to 14, 14 and 0. They're getting hot at the perfect time, just like they did when they won the Superbowl a few years back.

They're headed into Green Bay to face an offensive juggernaut they very nearly beat once already during the regular season...similar to the Patriots the year they won the Superbowl.

And it's not all defense. The offense managed to stay relatively balanced and got big plays at the right times to send the Falcons home.

Can they beat Green Bay at Lambeau? Yes, yes they can. Will they? Well, I wouldn't go that far...they'll be underdogs and deservedly so, but this is the best chance anyone has of beating the Packers left in the postseason I think. The Saints aren't the same team on the road and we don't know what we'll get out of the 49ers...so the Giants just may be the best Packer killer remaining.

As for the Falcons...wow, that was pathetic. They did move the ball at times and left some points on the field on the failed 4th down tries, but man...2 points? The explosive offense you were attempting to build with the trade for Julio completely failed.

Matt Ryan continues to flounder in the playoffs, coming up small. His line didn't do a great job, but the great QBs find ways to persevere. Ryan didn't and looked uncomfortable all day.

And Roddy White...holy god damned dropped passes. Four I think was the final count? Dropped passes are an absolute killer. I can't stand WRs who don't catch every catchable ball thrown at them.

Additionally, the Falcons need to start the move away from Michael "the no-longer Burner" Turner. He has all of the burst of a slug anymore. I mean for ***** sake, John Clay of the Steelers trudges like an o-lineman but can at least use his weight to fall forward for a yard...

I'm not saying they need to immediately cut Turner, but they should start phasing him out of the offense. More carries should go to Rodgers and Snelling, and perhaps they should even consider adding another mid-round "balanced" back or a mid-level free agent at the position. Turner needs to be phased out of the offense.

Defensively, it was another rather lousy showing. John Abraham is the only person on the team you can use the word "pass rush" with and not start laughing. They have two good young linebackers in Weatherspoon and Lofton, but they could use some bigger DTs to help keep them clean. Jacobs and Bradshaw were bursting up the middle for huge chunks whenever they wanted them. Brent Grimes being out exposed the lack of depth at the CB position as well. Dunta Robinson is an overrated head hunter and no one else is really starting material.

And without a first round pick, it's going to be challenging for the Falcons to address these areas of weakness. The need to hope that Julio continues to develop and makes their offense explosive enough to cover some of the other deficiencies. And I didn't even get to mention their o-line, which is another area that took a few steps back this year.

How the hell did the Falcons make the playoffs again?

Steelers/Broncos

Oh, why does that sick feeling in my stomach always have to be right?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2816574&#post2816574

That was certainly...unexpected...I guess that sometimes, Tebow can pass the ball.

Alright Denver, I'll play your little game. Your defense kept the Steelers potentially explosive offense mostly in check and you kept pressure on the gimpy Roethlisberger.

Offensively you...threw the football well. Err, well enough I guess. It wasn't always pretty but with the Steelers putting 15 guys in the box to stop the run, guys were going to get open over top. In the last few weeks, Tebow kept missing those guys. This week, he didn't. If he continues to not miss them, Denver will be a tougher out that expected.

Let's see what happens in Foxboro next week.

And in case you were wondering, yes, I will not be watching any ESPN this week. I already watched the Matrix on DVD last night and tonight feels like a Terminator and T2 kind of DVD watching night. Maybe tomorrow it'll be Predator and Aliens. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly another night. No Tebow knob-slobbering for me this week...

As for the Steelers, well, that was awful. Your defense got it back together after a rough finish last year and rough early part of this season. But, the Steelers had INJURIEZZ and simply couldn't survive.

They learned the hard way that Ben is hardly invincible, and keeping him protected might actually be something they need to do. Mendenhall is going to be coming back from an ACL tear, so bringing in another back better than Redman is a must in my mind.

Hines Ward is also probably done. There's just no justification for keeping around a past-his-prime 4th/5th WR who doesn't contribute on special teams. I get the stats and Superbowls argument for him getting into the HoF, but I wouldn't vote for him. He was NEVER a dominant receiver, and was only in the top 5 of any major statistical category once in his career for a season. He'll get in eventually, but he shouldn't before Tim Brown, Cris Carter, TO or Randy Moss get in.

Finally, the defense. They went in banged up and things got worse in a hurry with injuries to Hampton and Kiesel. Younger replacements for these guys are absolutely needed.

Polamalu being a liability in coverage also continued to show up. The guy is a playmaker when the rest of the defense is operating at maximum capacity, but when left to simply man up or cover a zone, he's been failing. He's the icing on the cake that is that defense, but recently, the cake has been rather lacking leaving just gobs of icing, which are alright for a few spoonfuls but if you eat too much, it'll make you sick. Therefor, Polamalu will make you sick. Or something. Just roll with it.

Some Overall Thoughts

All of the home teams won this weekend, meaning it's nothing but division winners from here on out. I had mentioned previously that I thought homefield would be as important this year as it's ever been, and so far I'm right on that. Next week, I'd say that all of the home teams should be favorites with the only exception the 49ers/Saints being a toss up. Depends on whether the Saints decide to travel well or not.

James Harrison finally decided to abide by the rules...and still ended up hurting a guy. People called the play "dirty," but he didn't get flagged for it. Decker may have been just fine if Harrison hit him higher, but the league would have fined the bejeesus out of him. It's a tricky spot but this is what the league wants. A serious knee injury may end a guy's playing career, but it won't turn his brain to mush. The players right now don't like that, as they're trying to earn every dollar they can, but in the long run, it's better for them.

As for the head coaching openings in the league...it seems like the preference this year is for retreads. Guys with previous head coaching experience seem to be getting interviewed at about an 80/20 ratio to younger "up and comers." The recent failures of hot young coaches in Spags, McD and Morris might be scaring teams off. When Marty Schottenheimer, Mike Sherman and BRAD CHILDRESS (wtf are you thinking Bucs?) are getting interviews, you know that the bottom of the coaching talent barrel has been hit. My personal favorite candidate is Mike Zimmer. He's being doing an underratedly good job with the Cincy defense recently.

That's all I've got for right now. Feel free to discuss.

Brent
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I cannot remember the last time I was this concerned about a Niners game.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Like, 2002 probably? Feels good to be back in the playoffs I'm sure. Like I said, I really have no idea what to expect in this one. If I was forced to bet, I'd bet on the Saints using the "go with what you know" logic since I know what the Saints will do.

I have no idea what the 49ers will do. None.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

As much as I like them, I'm not giving the Niners much of a chance in this one. Their best chance for success is to keep Drew Brees the hell off the field, but that offense is just too good. How the hell do you play an entire playoff game and not punt? That's absolutely ridiculous. That Saints team is as effective as anyone I've ever seen at scoring points, and that includes the 07 Pats and this year's Packers. I thought Aaron Rodgers was operating at an unprecedented level for the QB position, but I was wrong. Drew Brees is every bit as good and he's playing quarterback as well as anyone I've ever seen. I said before the playoffs started that the Saints were the one team I wouldn't want the Ravens to play in the Super Bowl...ugh.

I think the most pressing question for the Niners, at this point, is that if Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson couldn't put up enough points to beat the Saints, how the hell are Alex Smith and Frank Gore going to do it?

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
As much as I like them, I'm not giving the Niners much of a chance in this one. Their best chance for success is to keep Drew Brees the hell off the field, but that offense is just too good. How the hell do you play an entire playoff game and not punt? That's absolutely ridiculous. That Saints team is as effective as anyone I've ever seen at scoring points, and that includes the 07 Pats and this year's Packers. I thought Aaron Rodgers was operating at an unprecedented level for the QB position, but I was wrong. Drew Brees is every bit as good and he's playing quarterback as well as anyone I've ever seen. I said before the playoffs started that the Saints were the one team I wouldn't want the Ravens to play in the Super Bowl...ugh.

I think the most pressing question for the Niners, at this point, is that if Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson couldn't put up enough points to beat the Saints, how the hell are Alex Smith and Frank Gore going to do it?

The defense needs to help them out, which the Lions defense did not do.

Smith and Gore need to be on the money and play mistake free. They can afford absolutely no turnovers and must come away with points at every opportunity. Stalling in the red zone like they do is akin to suicide in this game.

But, the 49ers defense can help out. One of the things that makes the Saints so dangerous is that they can run the ball just enough to keep defenses honest. The 49ers can stop any run game with just their front 7, leaving the safeties free to cover.

The 49ers defense MUST stop the Saints run game. Smith and Gore can play ball control to keep the Saints offense on the sideline, and the defense has to make them unbalanced when they are on the field.

If they do those things, the 49ers can win this.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
The defense needs to help them out, which the Lions defense did not do.

Smith and Gore need to be on the money and play mistake free. They can afford absolutely no turnovers and must come away with points at every opportunity. Stalling in the red zone like they do is akin to suicide in this game.

But, the 49ers defense can help out. One of the things that makes the Saints so dangerous is that they can run the ball just enough to keep defenses honest. The 49ers can stop any run game with just their front 7, leaving the safeties free to cover.

The 49ers defense MUST stop the Saints run game. Smith and Gore can play ball control to keep the Saints offense on the sideline, and the defense has to make them unbalanced when they are on the field.

If they do those things, the 49ers can win this.

I do love what Harbaugh has done in SF. He's preaching simple, physical football and it's turned out extremely well for them this season. He's teaching that team that players make plays, not the other way around. It's an excellent philosophy and I'm glad to see it successful in an era that revolves around complex passing systems.

That said, I simply don't think the Niners have the capacity to beat that Saints squad. Lets be honest, the Lions D isn't in the same realm as the Niners, but it isn't a terrible defense. There are certainly worse. Brees took them apart without blinking. Moreover, the Niners front 7 may be impenetrable, but the back 4 isn't. Their secondary play has improved astronomically, but it's really the Run D that is dominant in San Fran. It'll be interesting to see what they try and do to get after Brees, but as of right now, the protection is too good, the weapons are too potent, and we've seen time and time again that Sean Payton will take the appropriate measures to assure his team wins. Whether that means going for every 4th down he can or whatever, he's one of the best head coaches in the game right now. Hell, whenever the run game stalls, the Saints just throw 15 screens to Sproles, PT Cruiser and Graham instead. It keeps the pass rushers honest and they still gain 15 yards a play. You don't need a consistent running game when you screen as well as the Saints do.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
We shall see. I'm not proclaiming the 49ers favorites, but I'm not counting them out. Harbaugh turned Stanford into a national championship contender. They stood toe to toe with far more talented teams and won many of them.

He'll have some tricks up his sleeves. Will they be enough? No clue. But this is the game I'm most looking forward to this weekend.

murdamal86
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I got a weird feeling these Giants may pull this off and it will shock NOBODY

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I got a weird feeling these Giants may pull this off and it will shock NOBODY

It would still shock most people. Not me, clearly, but 90% of casual football fans are idiots and they'd be shocked. The media too. Someone would have to put all of ESPN on suicide watch if somehow Rodgers AND Tebow both lost next weekend. What the hell would they talk about the rest of the post season? The actual games? No...that's boring. They need a **** to ride.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 11:34 AM
I was glad the way we played against Atlanta. I didn't think they'd do well outside their dome. They played 11 games this year in a dome. It looked like they gave up in 3/4 th of the game. They looked like they wanted to get home.

Grimes being out gave me big time confidence in going against their secondary.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I was glad the way we played against Atlanta. I didn't think they'd do well outside their dome. They played 11 games this year in a dome. It looked like they gave up in 3/4 th of the game. They looked like they wanted to get home.

It probably helps that you guys have Hakeen the Dream making huge plays left, right and center. Dude is a legit Top 10 receiver. Victor Cruz got all the love this year, but give me Hakeem all day, every day. That long TD yesterday was a thing of beauty.

BeerBaron

It's not so much being out of the dome that does Atlanta in...they're actually built quite well to be an outdoor team...but it's being away from home where it's easier to run that semi-hurry up Matt Ryan likes.

Get on the noisy road and the offense gets stuck in the mud.

That and Michael Turner being fat and slow and Roddy White dropping everyfuckingthing.

NY+Giants=NYG
Good job perry Fewell. This articulates how I feel and I been most critical of him! Posted on BBI

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/jamisont/athumbforyou.gif

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
It probably helps that you guys have Hakeen the Dream making huge plays left, right and center. Dude is a legit Top 10 receiver. Victor Cruz got all the love this year, but give me Hakeem all day, every day. That long TD yesterday was a thing of beauty.

He had a good game. But he dropped balls left and right too. You should bring that up! These were WIDE the F open TD passes, he just dropped. See the redskins game for that!

He finally played big! But again, they wanted to take Cruz out. Fine.. We have Nicks and mario. And they both contributed! But they all are young, and need to not drop balls and run their right routes.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Good job perry Fewell. This articulates how I feel and I been most critical of him! Posted on BBI

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/jamisont/athumbforyou.gif

Yeahhhhhh...let's see what defense he calls against the Packers first.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
It would still shock most people. Not me, clearly, but 90% of casual football fans are idiots and they'd be shocked. The media too. Someone would have to put all of ESPN on suicide watch if somehow Rodgers AND Tebow both lost next weekend. What the hell would they talk about the rest of the post season? The actual games? No...that's boring. They need a **** to ride.

I don't know. ESPN are still idiots, but apparently both Skip Bayless and Cowherd gave the Giants great chances to win. That being said, we're doomed now that those guys are giving us love.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
It's not so much being out of the dome that does Atlanta in...they're actually built quite well to be an outdoor team...but it's being away from home where it's easier to run that semi-hurry up Matt Ryan likes.

Get on the noisy road and the offense gets stuck in the mud.

That and Michael Turner being fat and slow and Roddy White dropping everyfuckingthing.

They are finesse team who got punched in the face. I am not a fan of Matt Ryan. He has a great running game, 2 good WRs AND the best pass catching TE in the history and still didn't do well.

People heap on Romo, and it's fun to do so, but Ryan should be getting tons of flack soon. That's 3 games he hasn't played well now.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I feel bad for Tony Gonzalez. No doubt first ballot HOFer and never won a playoff game.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know. ESPN are still idiots, but apparently both Skip Bayless and Cowherd gave the Giants great chances to win apparently. That being said, we're doomed now that those guys are giving us love.

I don't think Skip Bayless is representative of of what ESPN wants. Their dream would be for a Tebow/Rodgers Superbowl.

Everyone who works at the station would have to call off due to chronic orgasm syndrome at the mention of either name.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
They are finesse team who got punched in the face. I am not a fan of Matt Ryan. He has a great running game, 2 good WRs AND the best pass catching TE in the history and still didn't do well.

People heap on Romo, and it's fun to do so, but Ryan should be getting tons of flack soon. That's 3 games he hasn't played well now.

They're not exactly a "finesse" team. They try to have a lunch-pail o-line and TRY to punch you in the face with Michael Turner...he just isn't any good anymore.

And yes, Ryan should catch some flack. He's come up small in the postseason 3 times now. Once or twice? Fine...blame the supporting cast or call it a fluke. But once you get that third time in there, it's a trend.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeahhhhhh...let's see what defense he calls against the Packers first.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/giants_feel_confident_in_defen.html

Giants feel confident in defensive coordinator Perry Fewell after victory over Falcons

Before the Christmas Eve victory over the Jets, players lauded Fewell for simplifying things on the defense by eliminating on-field checks and audibles based on offensive formations. Coach Tom Coughlin grinned when asked about the simplification of the scheme, which perhaps suggested it wasn’t that complex to begin with, but said if that’s what instills confidence the players should keep on believing it.

Today, Reese agreed with the players by saying Fewell “simplified some things.” Still, the defense did adjust the call right before one play yesterday and forced Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to take a check-down throw.

My question is why did Fewell take SO LONG to adjust?! We could have done this since training camp once our CBs and our Mike went on IR. I am glad he adjusted, but now here is my next question.

When we have off season activities and ALL our guys back, do we revert back to what he was trying to do OR do we continue with this exact same defense?

That is the biggest question! I want this defense, and blitz more please! Do that, and I am happy. I am cool. Don't revert back to whatever you were trying to do. Stick to this! We have talent, we just need a good coordinator.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Ross needs to play. You have no ideas with these concussions. We are thin at CB with him playing but if Prince has to start with Rolle playing the nickel, Blackmon would be our only depth with no one after that.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/giants_feel_confident_in_defen.html

Giants feel confident in defensive coordinator Perry Fewell after victory over Falcons

My question is why did Fewell take SO LONG to adjust?! We could have done this since training camp once our CBs and our Mike went on IR. I am glad he adjusted, but now here is my next question.

When we have off season activities and ALL our guys back, do we revert back to what he was trying to do OR do we continue with this exact same defense?

That is the biggest question! I want this defense, and blitz more please! Do that, and I am happy. I am cool. Don't revert back to whatever you were trying to do. Stick to this! We have talent, we just need a good coordinator.

They can feel as confident as they want. I'm confident in my ability to take over the world but it doesn't mean ****. (Right now at least.)

To the bolded part, if he's like any coach, he'll change right back.

The hubris and arrogance of NFL head coaches knows no bounds. Yes, he's adjusted his system for now, but this offseason he's going to implement his system EVEN HARDERER!! The system is god.

Mike Martz last year is a good example. At the end of the 2010 season, he had modified the **** out of his offense to account for the terrible o-line and preschool level WRs. When this season started, did he build on that?

**** no. It was right back to 7 step drops and minimal protection and no rolling out and long, slow developing routes by guys who sucked at running them...

When that continued to fail as it had done the previous year, he started to adjust again, and was doing well up until Cutler got hurt.

NFL coaches don't change their "system" or "scheme" unless they are forced to kicking and screaming...and even then, they try to go right back to it as soon as the possibly can.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
They can feel as confident as they want. I'm confident in my ability to take over the world but it doesn't mean ****. (Right now at least.)

To the bolded part, if he's like any coach, he'll change right back.

The hubris and arrogance of NFL head coaches knows no bounds. Yes, he's adjusted his system for now, but this offseason he's going to implement his system EVEN HARDERER!! The system is god.

Mike Martz last year is a good example. At the end of the 2010 season, he had modified the **** out of his offense to account for the terrible o-line and preschool level WRs. When this season started, did he build on that?

**** no. It was right back to 7 step drops and minimal protection and no rolling out and long, slow developing routes by guys who sucked at running them...

When that continued to fail as it had done the previous year, he started to adjust again, and was doing well up until Cutler got hurt.

NFL coaches don't change their "system" or "scheme" unless they are forced to kicking and screaming...and even then, they try to go right back to it as soon as the possibly can.

Well I am not a fan of him, or his system. But I will take a wait and see approach again like I did when he was hired. I took it and saw enough and hated him. Now he has done well, so he is back to neutral in my eyes. So now I will see what he does next year with everyone back. If we do stupid things and guys are wide open than I will move him back to the red.

But he has earned his props so far. But why take this long is what bothers me? Let's see how he does next week, and next year.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I really didn't want to hear from Roddy after another drop filled game, but what he said was pretty telling.

“We talked about trying to establish the running game because we didn’t think we could pass protect,” said Falcons wide receiver Roddy White, who was limited to five catches for 52 yards with a long of only 21 yards. “We played right into their hands. I mean, if they sack us every down and we can’t move the ball, OK. But let’s try.”

White’s remarks echo private comments of several other players who have pointed at a disconnection who offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey’s approach. Numerous players believe Mularkey is too conservative, particularly in tense situations like the playoffs.

Or as one player put it: “Something has to be said to [coach] Mike [Smith] this offseason.”

And then Gonzo puts it more gently:

"If we don't get it corrected, the same thing is going to happen next year. This off season, we've got a lot of work to do, a lot of soul searching to do. I don't think its about talent, I think we've got the talent here"

While Matt Ryan deserves a good deal of blame, it's not entirely on him. Although, this trend of Ryan/Mike Smith being very good at their respective positions during the regular season and then collapsing in the playoffs is becoming extremely alarming. Even so, Mularkey must go.

I think you're being a little unfair to Turner. He's still a good back. He's obviously less explosive after years of being overworked, but the OL completely failed him yesterday. I do agree though, we need to start diminishing his role in the offense. You don't win with someone like Turner. He's a valuable piece for the play action game, but we need to start seeing the full effects of our weapons. And that's not going to happen until we first move on from Mularkey, and then upgrade the line.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I really didn't want to hear from Roddy after another drop filled game, but what he said was pretty telling.

“We talked about trying to establish the running game because we didn’t think we could pass protect,” said Falcons wide receiver Roddy White, who was limited to five catches for 52 yards with a long of only 21 yards. “We played right into their hands. I mean, if they sack us every down and we can’t move the ball, OK. But let’s try.”

White’s remarks echo private comments of several other players who have pointed at a disconnection who offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey’s approach. Numerous players believe Mularkey is too conservative, particularly in tense situations like the playoffs.

Or as one player put it: “Something has to be said to [coach] Mike [Smith] this offseason.”

And then Gonzo puts it more gently:

"If we don't get it corrected, the same thing is going to happen next year. This off season, we've got a lot of work to do, a lot of soul searching to do. I don't think its about talent, I think we've got the talent here"

While Matt Ryan deserves a good deal of blame, it's not entirely on him. Although, this trend of Ryan/Mike Smith being very good at their respective positions during the regular season and then collapsing in the playoffs is becoming extremely alarming. Even so, Mularkey must go.

I think you're being a little unfair to Turner. He's still a good back. He's obviously less explosive after years of being overworked, but the OL completely failed him yesterday. I do agree though, we need to start diminishing his role in the offense. You don't win with someone like Turner. He's a valuable piece for the play action game, but we need to start seeing the full effects of our weapons. And that's not going to happen until we first move on from Mularkey, and then upgrade the line.

This, this and more this. I toyed with the idea of making a thoughts thread of my own, and this would have been #1 on my list. Never before have I seen a team so hampered by conservative playcalling. Mularkey is beyond awful, I've absolutely no idea how this man is getting HC interviews right now. Run all the 5 yard button hooks and 7 yard outs you want, but if you aren't going to utilize the vertical weapons within your offense, you're not going to put up points.

The Falcons seem so intent on trying to establish Turner and the PA, but I think in the contemporary NFL you have to be able to use the pass to set up the run as well as the run to set up the pass. The Falcons simply can't do the former, since so much of their offense is based upon the PA pass and moving the ball up the field in small increments. It's infuriating to watch and I think a new OC with the balls to implement some sort of vertical passing game would do so much for that franchise.

It's unfortunate that the Falcons will be so hampered this offseason. I didn't like the Julio trade during the draft, and I like it even less now. If you're going to give up that much for a player, you need to be absolutely sure that player is the missing piece that pushes you over the edge. As good as Julio may become, it's pretty clear he isn't that player.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
However the 4th and 1 calls weren't conservative at all. The actual play called was but the not the decision to go for it.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
However the 4th and 1 calls weren't conservative at all. The actual play called was but the not the decision to go for it.

I think Mike Smith is the one who makes the actual decision to go for it though, is he not? Mularkey is the one responsible for the ******** playcall, but Mike Smith is the one with the actual balls to go for it on 4th and 1.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
What kind of play calling did you guys want? We stopped your run meaning you guys needed to throw to win. Also, your HC should get a lot of the blame. This was an Atlanta team that quit. After the haymaker, you guys looked like you guys wanted to hurry and go home.

Someone has to pump up the team. You guys looked like we stole your game plan of running the ball.

Hey wait! That's what we wanted to do! We wanted to run the ball and stop you guys running it. Remember? You guys stink running the ball. So we will run all over you and use play action.

I thought we played Giants football which we haven't played for a long time. But Smitty, and Ryan do deserve their stuff.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM

I disagree, you are away. Take the points and take a 3-0 lead. Break the ice, and have that early lead. I think it's demoralizing to risk getting stopped. I wouldn't have done that. Take the 3 points away and build off it.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I think Mike Smith is the one who makes the actual decision to go for it though, is he not? Mularkey is the one responsible for the ******** playcall, but Mike Smith is the one with the actual balls to go for it on 4th and 1.

I believe you're right. However I don't think they should have gone for it. Especially the first time.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Well I am not a fan of him, or his system. But I will take a wait and see approach again like I did when he was hired. I took it and saw enough and hated him. Now he has done well, so he is back to neutral in my eyes. So now I will see what he does next year with everyone back. If we do stupid things and guys are wide open than I will move him back to the red.

But he has earned his props so far. But why take this long is what bothers me? Let's see how he does next week, and next year.

I don't think it's so much Fewell's "system." I said earlier this week that I think it's a Coughlin thing. In Jacksonville, Coughlin hired Dom Capers for a year and promptly tried to turn him into a 4-3 Cover 2 guy.

With Kevin Hardy and Bryce Paup as their linebackers.

I wish I was making this up.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
This, this and more this. I toyed with the idea of making a thoughts thread of my own, and this would have been #1 on my list. Never before have I seen a team so hampered by conservative playcalling. Mularkey is beyond awful, I've absolutely no idea how this man is getting HC interviews right now. Run all the 5 yard button hooks and 7 yard outs you want, but if you aren't going to utilize the vertical weapons within your offense, you're not going to put up points.

The Falcons seem so intent on trying to establish Turner and the PA, but I think in the contemporary NFL you have to be able to use the pass to set up the run as well as the run to set up the pass. The Falcons simply can't do the former, since so much of their offense is based upon the PA pass and moving the ball up the field in small increments. It's infuriating to watch and I think a new OC with the balls to implement some sort of vertical passing game would do so much for that franchise.

It's unfortunate that the Falcons will be so hampered this offseason. I didn't like the Julio trade during the draft, and I like it even less now. If you're going to give up that much for a player, you need to be absolutely sure that player is the missing piece that pushes you over the edge. As good as Julio may become, it's pretty clear he isn't that player.

The other problem with Turner is he's so one dimensional. Yeah, he touches the ball a lot, but it's purely leads up the middle, and the occasional off tackle run. Can't catch, can't be used on toss plays, counters, etc.

I'm not sure how you can see the pieces we have and be so uncreative on offense. It's mind boggling.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's so much Fewell's "system." I said earlier this week that I think it's a Coughlin thing. In Jacksonville, Coughlin hired Dom Capers for a year and promptly tried to turn him into a 4-3 Cover 2 guy.

With Kevin Hardy and Bryce Paup as their linebackers.

I wish I was making this up.

Fewell had that tampa 2 deal. I don't mind cover 2 like spags ran. But supplement it with blitzes. Fewell had a system or way of doing things which I didn't like from the day he was hired. However, I took a wait and see approach. Things soured when we choked away the Eagles game. His D got owned when we needed it.

But I wanted another season, and I saw this season unfold and made my decision. However, kudos to him for simplifying things, and our play has changed and caught people off guard. Now past take is not accurate to what we are trying to run. So in a way, we have added tendency breakers just by simply changing the system for our players. I like that in the playoffs.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
What kind of play calling did you guys want?

Something other than run, run, pass, punt. Guess what my two favorite play calls of the game were? The toss play to Julio and that one 20+ yard completion where we brought in Sam Baker to provide extra pass protection. Not because they worked, but because they showed some kind of creativity, doing something different. The game plan reaked of:

"Hey, they've got good pass rushers, so let's run to soften them up! And then let's run short patterns so they can't get to the QB!"

I'm sure they weren't looking for that at all. Predictably, the Giants loaded up against the run, and got their hands on Roddy/Julio disrupting the timing of the short passing game.

Then, once our defense inevitably broke, we have to throw constantly, and our offensive line had no shot at blocking the Giants DL once they didn't have to worry about run gap responsibility and got to pin their ears back.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
"Hey, they've got good pass rushers, so let's run to soften them up! And then let's run short patterns so they can't get to the QB!".

To be fair, if they put on tape of our game week 17 (which they obviously did), that was the ONLY thing that worked for the Cowboys.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
The other problem with Turner is he's so one dimensional. Yeah, he touches the ball a lot, but it's purely leads up the middle, and the occasional off tackle run. Can't catch, can't be used on toss plays, counters, etc.

I'm not sure how you can see the pieces we have and be so uncreative on offense. It's mind boggling.

That's what I mean, start phasing him out now. Maybe next year, give he, Rodgers and Snelling a workload of 1/3 of the plays each. Play to their strengths.

He can still take some carries up the middle, but work the other guys in for the to give you the option of doing more.

49ersfan_87
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM

I'm concerned too, but I trust Harbaugh. He's beaten superior teams before and I've learned not to doubt him after this year. Can't wait!

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Something other than run, run, pass, punt. Guess what my two favorite play calls of the game were? The toss play to Julio and that one 20+ yard completion where we brought in Sam Baker to provide extra pass protection. Not because they worked, but because they showed some kind of creativity, doing something different. The game plan reaked of:

"Hey, they've got good pass rushers, so let's run to soften them up! And then let's run short patterns so they can't get to the QB!"

I'm sure they weren't looking for that at all. Predictably, the Giants loaded up against the run, and got their hands on Roddy/Julio disrupting the timing of the short passing game.

Then, once our defense inevitably broke, we have to throw constantly, and our offensive line had no shot at blocking the Giants DL once they didn't have to worry about run gap responsibility and got to pin their ears back.

Why is that bad though? It's a sound philosophy based on what we did this season. We couldn't stop the run AND we have pass rushers, so a 3 step drop or quick concept game eases the OL pressure in stopping the pass rush.

I don't find that philosophy out of bounds. I disagree in that I just don't think you guys are good. I think you are a totally different team playing away. I heard 17-16 on espn. So basically a .500 team. You played 11 times in a dome, and I just didn't think you had us playing away.

Also, if you're game plan was running the ball and using play action. Then guess what? Tell me what your call sheet will have if that's your game plan you want to implement? What will you be installing in your call sheet for this specific game?

There is a finite amount of things you can run. I talked about this here in our section AND on BBI, another giants MB. Football is a finite sport. You had a gameplan, and thus your call sheet and plays installed will reflect.

Your game plan got got owned. It happens, but I don't know what other stuff you could have done.

I have another question.. The plays you WANTED to run. How often do you run those plays? Do you run them a lot throughout the season?

J-Mike88
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
The Falcons playcalling is horseschit period.

They ran when the Giants were expecting them to run, and they passed when the Giants were expecting them to pass.
That's dumb as hell.

The Giants defense is good enough period.

But to play right into their hands on every play? Idiotic.

The Falcons could have scored early if they did some early play-action on 1st downs.
Hell, a flea-flicker to Michael Turner early could have gotten Julio deep for a Demaryius Thomas kind of deep score early. Even if they don't hit them, they would send a message that's it's not going to be run every time on 1st down.

I hate conservative playcalling like that.

The element of surprise is worth something, especially in playoff games.

BTW, I don't question Smith for going for it. You make those and you probably win the game.
But if you can't ever pick that schit up from 12 inches away, you deserve to be home now.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
The issue isn't with Smith going for it...you should be able to pick up a 4th and extremely short.

But 3 times this season that I've seen, including 2 yesterday, the offense failed to pick it up. A run straight up the gut with Turner? Who would see that coming?

A ballsier (holy **** Firefox recognizes that as a word) playcaller would have tried something else. I always love PA rollouts in situations like that. Fake to Turner and then have Ryan roll to his right. That gives him the option of throwing to someone, maybe have a TE break off the edge of the formation, or run it himself. Ryan isn't especially fast but I bet he could get to the edge and gain a yard in that situation.

But the Falcons never try anything like that because Mularkey is utterly conservative. If Marty gets a job, perhaps he can hire Mularkey to be his OC. Mularkey and Martyball is a match made in heaven. (Or hell, if you you happen to like the team they're paired on...)

Punisher
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Speaking of Sam Baker...

Is he just a bust now or what?

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Speaking of Sam Baker...

Yeah. He blocks like a girl and was benched.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Why is that bad though? It's a sound philosophy based on what we did this season. We couldn't stop the run AND we have pass rushers, so a 3 step drop or quick concept game eases the OL pressure in stopping the pass rush.

I don't find that philosophy out of bounds. I disagree in that I just don't think you guys are good. I think you are a totally different team playing away. I heard 17-16 on espn. So basically a .500 team. You played 11 times in a dome, and I just didn't think you had us playing away.

I have another question.. The plays you WANTED to run. How often do you run those plays? Do you run them a lot throughout the season?

Yesterday, Mularkey called the game like Falcons have a great defense and it was going to be a 10-7 game. The defense was inevitably going to break against a good offensive team, because well, it always does, especially with Grimes out. (See Saints, Packers). When that happened, we then played right into your strength, having to throw constantly down big.

The plays I wanted to run? We've seen a few throughout the season, but also more than few we never see.

The issue isn't with Smith going for it...you should be able to pick up a 4th and extremely short.

But 3 times this season that I've seen, including 2 yesterday, the offense failed to pick it up. A run straight up the gut with Turner? Who would see that coming?

When we went empty backfield with Julio in motion when they had 13 people in the box... a little quick toss to him there? Even if it failed miserably and someone managed to bust through the line and drag Julio down for a 4 yard loss, I would have much rather seen that attempted.

(It also needs to be noted how inconsistent the run game has been since Mughelli got hurt. Without a doubt the best FB in football. **** you Delmas.)

Speaking of Sam Baker...

Yes. Looked good early in his career, just struggled with injuries, now he just struggles with everything.

TimmG6376
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned but the worst call of all was the QB sneak with no RB in the backfield. Do you think anyone on the Giants was fooled? And considering how ineffective the running game had been did Mularkey really think the offensive line was going to be able to out-muscle the Giants defense when they knew what was coming?

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Do you think anyone on the Giants was fooled?

Worse for Atlanta, the Giants seemed to have a very good idea of exactly what to expect. Both Canty and Tuck said they studied the exact quarterback sneak plays the Falcons tried to run.

“We saw the second one on film this week,” Tuck said, referring to a play in which the Falcons had four players shift before the snap. “They were trying to draw us off. We’d seen that.”

Master of creativity, Mike Mularkey.

DBNYDP
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
When you go back and look at what happened during the New England it was pretty clear. Broncos came out firing but then they made several incredibly stupid turnovers, that completely handed the momentum and game to New England. Broncos offense wasn't smart in the 3rd quarter, as the passes were either bombs or a series of running plays even if it wasn't working. Turned it up in the 4th quarter but it was too late and too much pressure on the offense led to Tim Tebow to not have a stellar quarter.

The Broncos are probably going to lose this weekend. But if they stay away from turning the ball over I think this can be a much closer game.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Ok, will someone give me a "for Idiots" version of how betting on football works?

Like, if the spread is 3 points and Team A "covers," what specifically does that mean? Because apparently it's not what I thought.

(I don't gamble if you can't tell and I just read something that seemed backwards to what I previously though I understood)

Saints-Tigers
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I know one thing, if you do start betting, you WILL start to believe football games are rigged... haha. "Oh really, I am one game from winning, and I get a ******* push?"

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but those ******* are so good at making point spreads.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Ok, will someone give me a "for Idiots" version of how betting on football works?

Like, if the spread is 3 points and Team A "covers," what specifically does that mean? Because apparently it's not what I thought.

(I don't gamble if you can't tell and I just read something that seemed backwards to what I previously though I understood)

Is team A the favorite or the underdog? The favorite has to win by more than the spread to win your bet and the underdog has to either win or lose by less than the spread to win the bet.

Giantsfan1080
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM

If the spread is -3 then you take off 3 points from the final score If that team still won they you covered. If the spread was +3 then you add 3 points to that team's final total and if that team now has more points then they covered.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Yesterday, Mularkey called the game like Falcons have a great defense and it was going to be a 10-7 game. The defense was inevitably going to break against a good offensive team, because well, it always does, especially with Grimes out. (See Saints, Packers). When that happened, we then played right into your strength, having to throw constantly down big.

The plays I wanted to run? We've seen a few throughout the season, but also more than few we never see.

Well my point is do you understand how game planning works in football? From how one prepares to how one implements their game plan via the call sheet which is then used on game day.

I posted in this in our forum, which is key in how offensive teams get read for defenses.

My point is you want something creative. You may also want different plays called. I am saying you guys had a specific gameplan which is based on our season play.

Attack Eli, expect our running game to fail or be so so at best. Then run on us, since we had issues with stopping the run all year. And then from there use play action on us and hit our secondary for big plays which we have gave up ALL year long.

I don't think that's a bad game plan. Teams have used this, and I am sure Mike Crews your head video guy, I guy I worked with, had all the cut ups available for the staff.

It's not a bad game plan. You played the odds on what we were as a football team, and used past tape to hit us.

Things, however changed, and thus that wasn't the case anymore.

But the game planning is something that all fans should understand. You only have a finite amount of plays you can install on your call sheet. After that, you have a few plays off script, but your stuck. We blocked your main way of winning. There is not a lot you can do from there.

You can't really reinvent the wheel, unless that's built into your system. We have that in ours, where we can go off script, and that's because Eli is an OC. He has FULL control to do whatever he wants. Gilbride and Coughlin trust him.

Maybe you guys need that for Ryan. I can't blame your OC because he went with the game plan that beat us based on prior games. Run the ball, control the clock, and use play action to hit your 3 guys, 2 WRs and one first ballot HOFer.

We changed our defense and won. Like I said, I don't know what else you could have done. What did you want to run?

Did you run tosses, counters, and such concepts all year long?

brat316
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
eEhhhhh Steelers. Bit of injuries, but things finally clicked for Tebow. Who knew?...other than God.

We have young guys to replace the aging defenders but we don't play them. Heyward played well coming in for Keisl. We need to get a NT though to replace Hampton we didn't have any pressure up the middle, once he left.

Brings me to another thing, man we are lacking sacks and hits on the QB. I don't know why, but we are always inches away from Qb. Ravens game we lost at home, we hardly touched him, though Flacco showed up big.

Oh well, heres to the draft. Lets go big on Oline, Ben's been hiding the suckyness of the oline, and it finally showed when he had to stand in the pocket.

Also TQBR is ***.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Is team A the favorite or the underdog? The favorite has to win by more than the spread to win your bet and the underdog has to either win or lose by less than the spread to win the bet.

If the spread is -3 then you take off 3 points from the final score If that team still won they you covered. If the spread was +3 then you add 3 points to that team's final total and if that team now has more points then they covered.

Ok, I think I get it. Gambling isn't my thing.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I know one thing, if you do start betting, you WILL start to believe football games are rigged... haha. "Oh really, I am one game from winning, and I get a ******* push?"

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but those ******* are so good at making point spreads.

He's going to bet against Tebow. The Patriots will win, but Denver will have a pointless scoring drive at the end that results in a backdoor cover against the spread for Denver.

Just watch. BB is gon' swear off the NFL.

Jughead10
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Ok, I think I get it. Gambling isn't my thing.

You should make it your thing.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
You should make it your thing.

I've watched too damn much football in my life to know that anything can happen any given game to ever bet on it.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
We changed our defense and won. Like I said, I don't know what else you could have done. What did you want to run?

Did you run tosses, counters, and such concepts all year long?

I fully understand that this isn't something out of Madden where we can change our entire playbook before the game, but there's a reason Roddy, Gonzo, and unnamed players are calling out the game plan. Because it is what it is. Extremely predictable and safe. Like I said, we were playing as if it was going to be a 10-7 game. Everyone in the world knew it wasn't. Even if you want to say we were smart to have a running game foundation, fine, fair enough. Just stop making it so Marty Ball esque, or when we have a passing route, let's go beyond 7 yards.

We are somewhat limited in our running game with Michael Turner, but you saw a toss to Jones (one of our best plays from yesterday and what I asked for on 4th down), or anytime Quizz comes into the game in a running situation; toss.

And screens barely exist with Mularkey, but god damn, if you are that scared of the pass rush, throw one of them out there instead of trying to slow down the rush by sending Turner into a wall every damn first down.

BeerBaron
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Just stop making it so Marty Ball esque, or when we have a passing route, let's go beyond 7 yards.

I am so happy this has reentered the vernacular around here...

Thank you Bucs for being so incompetent in your head coaching search so as to interview him.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 05:52 PM
They had a nice screen set up to Jacquizz in the 1st, but he dropped it. And I don't think they ever went back to the screen game, really.

Having deeper routes requires synching it with a deeper drop. I dunno. Really, the only thing that would may have worked would be force feeding the ball to Julio on underneath stuff.

They got outexecuted in both trenches - badly. When that happens, there's only so much playcalling can do.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
They had a nice screen set up to Jacquizz in the 1st, but he dropped it. And I don't think they ever went back to the screen game, really.

Having deeper routes requires synching it with a deeper drop. I dunno. Really, the only thing that would may have worked would be force feeding the ball to Julio on underneath stuff.

They got outexecuted in both trenches - badly. When that happens, there's only so much playcalling can do.

-They don't go back to the screen game. I'm not sure where I could find these stats, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the Falcons weren't one of the lowest screen teams in the league.

EDIT: Thanks Pat Yasinskas.

The final results are in and I’m happy to announce the Atlanta Falcons gained a grand total of 68 yards on screen passes this season.

Quarterback Matt Ryan attempted just 20 screens during the regular season and completed 16 of them.

Kevin Kolb (62 yards), Matt Cassel (17 yards) and Kyle Orton (17 yards) are the only quarterbacks with fewer yards on screen passes than Ryan, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The difference there is that Ryan started all 16 games, while Kolb, Cassel and Orton all missed time due to injuries or poor performance.

-Goes back to what Roddy said. Never even gave it a chance until it was too late and their pass rushers had a free run.

-I agree. Matt would have had to play a perfect game for us to win. We got destroyed at the POA on the line. But this play calling isn't a one game thing, but rather a constant theme.

Flyboy
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
-They don't go back to the screen game. I'm not sure where I could find these stats, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the Falcons weren't one of the lowest screen teams in the league.

EDIT: Thanks Pat Yasinskas.

The final results are in and I’m happy to announce the Atlanta Falcons gained a grand total of 68 yards on screen passes this season.

Quarterback Matt Ryan attempted just 20 screens during the regular season and completed 16 of them.

Kevin Kolb (62 yards), Matt Cassel (17 yards) and Kyle Orton (17 yards) are the only quarterbacks with fewer yards on screen passes than Ryan, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The difference there is that Ryan started all 16 games, while Kolb, Cassel and Orton all missed time due to injuries or poor performance.

-Goes back to what Roddy said. Never even gave it a chance until it was too late and their pass rushers had a free run.

-I agree. Matt would have had to play a perfect game for us to win. We got destroyed at the POA on the line. But this play calling isn't a one game thing, but rather a constant theme.

And yet your OC is getting plenty of job interviews for HC vacancies.... strange.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

They lacked identity all year long, which is what worried me about them going into the season.

They came out early and tried to be up-tempo, no-huddle, but they weren't ready for it yet. So they went back to their old habits. They had occasional success ratcheting the tempo up down the stretch, but they still didn't have the personnel to do it with any consistent success - dangerous when your defense is pretty "meh."

That said, Mularkey does make pretty terrible use of his personnel. Ryan has proven over time to be one of the worst movement quarterbacks, yet he's constantly trying to roll him out, waggle the protection, and run bootleg action. Not to mention trying to use Julio like he's Randy Moss instead of TO or Andre Johnson. That's just bad use of personnel.

In order to successfully transition to the type of offense they need to run, they need a more multi-dimensional back, a real tight end instead of Tony Gonzales' corpse, and a huge upgrade at the slot WR. Actually design those offense around the personnel's strengths, and they might be able to keep up with teams on offense in January.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
And yet your OC is getting plenty of job interviews for HC vacancies.... strange.

I obviously watch all the Falcons games, but the Jets are another team I see constantly due to location. How Mularkey (a little less puzzling, OMG Matt Ryan's rookie season!) and Shotty are viewed as potential HC candidates is beyond me.

They lacked identity all year long, which is what worried me about them going into the season.

They came out early and tried to be up-tempo, no-huddle, but they weren't ready for it yet. So they went back to their old habits. They had occasional success ratcheting the tempo up down the stretch, but they still didn't have the personnel to do it with any consistent success - dangerous when your defense is pretty "meh."

That said, Mularkey does make pretty terrible use of his personnel. Ryan has proven over time to be one of the worst movement quarterbacks, yet he's constantly trying to roll him out, waggle the protection, and run bootleg action. Not to mention trying to use Julio like he's Randy Moss instead of TO or Andre Johnson. That's just bad use of personnel.

In order to successfully transition to the type of offense they need to run, they need a more multi-dimensional back, a real tight end instead of Tony Gonzales' corpse, and a huge upgrade at the slot WR. Actually design those offense around the personnel's strengths, and they might be able to keep up with teams on offense in January.

Hey, Tony actually showed life this season. (I thought he was dead last year too), but Mularkey being a TE guy tries to have the offense go through him way too much.

Also, yes, Harry Douglas really needs to be upgraded, but we need to shore up the line first. Because they got exposed as just bad all around (Not even poor pass protectors, strong run blockers) once Ovie went down.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Good thing for them is that there's a lot of nice 2-5 round depth at both WR and TE.

They need to get out of that Dunta contract and hit defensive free agency in the mouth. And they have to do it right this time. They should really look at one of the premier DEs and pray that Terrell Thomas doesn't get re-signed in NY.

What's Grimes' upside? Legit #1 corner (and he doesnt have to be Revis level) or very good #2?

PoopSandwich
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Pretty sure this would be more appropriate for this weekend.

6RGcb7alSk0

Rosebud
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Good thing for them is that there's a lot of nice 2-5 round depth at both WR and TE.

They need to get out of that Dunta contract and hit defensive free agency in the mouth. And they have to do it right this time. They should really look at one of the premier DEs and pray that Terrell Thomas doesn't get re-signed in NY.

What's Grimes' upside? Legit #1 corner (and he doesnt have to be Revis level) or very good #2?

Doesn't TT have another year on his deal? Ross will be hitting FA and could be a very good #2 for some other team since he'll probably be healthy once he's out of new york.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM

-Very true, although I pretty much hate this TE class behind LaDarius Green. One of the Arkansas WRs would be a nice add. There's more than a few cover 2 corners I really like this year too. (Minnifield, Hayward, Judie, Boykin)

-I'm praying there's something that can be done with Dunta/Ray. Edward's deal isn't for THAT much money, so he can stick as a base-run defending LE/3rd down UT. But Dunta, just ugh. Best option might be to see if he can play FS, because DeCoud is awful there.

Grimes is a legit #1 in a zone heavy scheme like ours, no doubt. Bigger WRs on plays in the end zone are always going to give him trouble, but otherwise, he's a stud. William Moore is also a good SS, although he can't stay healthy. The issues comes from getting atrocious play from DeCoud at FS and CBs 2-4.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I fully understand that this isn't something out of Madden where we can change our entire playbook before the game, but there's a reason Roddy, Gonzo, and unnamed players are calling out the game plan. Because it is what it is. Extremely predictable and safe. Like I said, we were playing as if it was going to be a 10-7 game. Everyone in the world knew it wasn't. Even if you want to say we were smart to have a running game foundation, fine, fair enough. Just stop making it so Marty Ball esque, or when we have a passing route, let's go beyond 7 yards.

We are somewhat limited in our running game with Michael Turner, but you saw a toss to Jones (one of our best plays from yesterday and what I asked for on 4th down), or anytime Quizz comes into the game in a running situation; toss.

And screens barely exist with Mularkey, but god damn, if you are that scared of the pass rush, throw one of them out there instead of trying to slow down the rush by sending Turner into a wall every damn first down.

Well that's good that you understand it. I have talked to people that may not understand the details of how football works. So you have a leg up then.

I know the pass rush was a thing on why you didn't I like go deep. The depth of your routes have a strong correlation with the # drop that concept is. You want to go deeper be somewhat aggressive, right? Well that means 5 to 7 step drop, which is something we love. Please, by all means do that! That's what Josh M did in the superbowl with brady, and no one said to adjust.

I like screens with the pass rush. Perhaps, you guys through the running would be good and so may not have installed it. Maybe you did install it, but the front we played wasn't ideal for the play.

Now just like I do with Gilbride and our offensive coaches, what about the guys upstairs? Do you know who is upstairs for you guys?

You can only call plays efficiently based on the guys upstairs giving you the right information. I personally HATE being on the field coaching. I love it in the booth were I can spot out tendencies and make better use of myself. On the field, it's impossible to see anything. It's one big cluster F of bodies going all over. Upstairs, you can see everything perfectly! Obviously, that's a choice thing depending on coaches style.

But who is upstairs in your team? Let's say you're right, and your OC stinks. Well why does he stink? What information is he getting from the guys upstairs? Is it good? Can it be better?

That is one element most fans tend to NOT get. You can be only as good as the people upstairs and the information their giving you. Probably one of the most important facet of football, which fans don't realize.

so if we go with the assumption your OC stinks, then by def. get rid of EVERYONE upstairs, and get better people giving him information through out the game.

For example, 1st and 10 right hash 37 yard line coach. They are in a 4-3 wink front with 2 outside techniques. The safety roll is creeping in that front to stop turner. Let's go:

Play action
36 zone away from the creeper.

Coach, we have a sky safety in rolle in a C2 shell, in a 4-3 under front. Let's use a single high beater and high low Kenny Philips.

So information like that is always being processed upstairs. That information then is given via phone call downstairs or print outs and head set to the people downstairs. You don't like the playcalling and OC, ok cool, then get rid of the people upstairs.

No NFL OC RPGs it. That stands for "random plays guy" which means how most people play Madden, which is just call plays randomly. So again, if the OC stinks or you disagree with his playcalling then, by all means be equally angry with the fools upstairs. It's unfair to be mad the play caller field level and give the guys upstairs a pass.

So again, like I do with our fan base, BBD will vouch, there is a lot of stuff that goes on offensively. This is not just you, but people need to understand the process before getting frustrated. Who knows you may very well be right, but it's good to understand the process.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Well that's good that you understand it. I have talked to people that may not understand the details of how football works. So you have a leg up then.

I know the pass rush was a thing on why you didn't I like go deep. The depth of your routes have a strong correlation with the # drop that concept is. You want to go deeper be somewhat aggressive, right? Well that means 5 to 7 step drop, which is something we love. Please, by all means do that! That's what Josh M did in the superbowl with brady, and no one said to adjust.

I like screens with the pass rush. Perhaps, you guys through the running would be good and so may not have installed it. Maybe you did install it, but the front we played wasn't ideal for the play.

Now just like I do with Gilbride and our offensive coaches, what about the guys upstairs? Do you know who is upstairs for you guys?

You can only call plays efficiently based on the guys upstairs giving you the right information. I personally HATE being on the field coaching. I love it in the booth were I can spot out tendencies and make better use of myself. On the field, it's impossible to see anything. It's one big cluster F of bodies going all over. Upstairs, you can see everything perfectly! Obviously, that's a choice thing depending on coaches style.

But who is upstairs in your team? Let's say you're right, and your OC stinks. Well why does he stink? What information is he getting from the guys upstairs? Is it good? Can it be better?

That is one element most fans tend to NOT get. You can be only as good as the people upstairs and the information their giving you. Probably one of the most important facet of football, which fans don't realize.

so if we go with the assumption your OC stinks, then by def. get rid of EVERYONE upstairs, and get better people giving him information through out the game.

For example, 1st and 10 right hash 37 yard line coach. They are in a 4-3 wink front with 2 outside techniques. The safety roll is creeping in that front to stop turner. Let's go:

Play action
36 zone away from the creeper.

Coach, we have a sky safety in rolle in a C2 shell, in a 4-3 under front. Let's use a single high beater and high low Kenny Philips.

So information like that is always being processed upstairs. That information then is given via phone call downstairs or print outs and head set to the people downstairs. You don't like the playcalling and OC, ok cool, then get rid of the people upstairs.

No NFL OC RPGs it. That stands for "random plays guy" which means how most people play Madden, which is just call plays randomly. So again, if the OC stinks or you disagree with his playcalling then, by all means be equally angry with the fools upstairs. It's unfair to be mad the play caller field level and give the guys upstairs a pass.

So again, like I do with our fan base, BBD will vouch, there is a lot of stuff that goes on offensively. This is not just you, but people need to understand the process before getting frustrated. Who knows you may very well be right, but it's good to understand the process.

Bah, I couldn't find a picture of it, as it would have been the perfect response. Mike Mularkey is always up in the booth, haha.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Bah, I couldn't find a picture of it, as it would have been the perfect response. Mike Mularkey is always up in the booth, haha.

That's a good start. I love it up there. But someone has to watch for tendencies, and someone else has to write down defenses and such. I know one person because when I was there for a week, the person showed me around. I can't remember his name since it was in 2009 I went. But he is the assistant to Coach Smith. I know he is up there to if he is still with the team, which I would guess he is.

wogitalia
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly another night. No Tebow knob-slobbering for me this week...

Is that what they are calling Tebow completion highlights now? The good(completion), the bad(throwing motion) and the ugly(the ball quacking through the air).

Agree with everything this week, the Harrison thing to me basically highlights the futility of trying to remove injuries from the game, they will happen regardless of what you do, the sport with the highest amount injuries in Australia is netball, we have Australian rules in which you may only tackle someone from the side or front between the waist and shoulders and we still have a **** ton of injuries in that. To be honest, I'd rather they let the guys play and work on the technology(whether that actually means winding back on the helmets or what).

Nice write up as usual mate.

Patriots are the worst possible matchup for Denver. Texans can easily beat the Ravens, for mine it will depend on whether they run or not, basically Flacco is how the Ravens can lose the game and Rice is how they win it. Giants are an awful matchup for Green Bay, but GB should be a solid favourite and should still win, I'm not sold on Jennings playing, I think it could be a hindrance for them. Saints deserve to be favourite, imo, over the 49ers simply because I don't think the 49ers can win a shootout and I can't see the 49ers being able to get a safe lead either. Not saying they can't or wont win it, they absolutely can but I always think the favourite is the team that can win the game in more ways and easier, which for me is the Saints.

All that said, the 49ers have the single biggest homefield advantage of any team this round which will help them. Giants play in similar conditions to Lambeau, should be used to it. Texans game style is well suited to bad conditions(low risk, ground and pound), Denver basically the same. Saints are a dome team who air it out, if the 9ers can get a nice gusty win, cold and miserable it could swing the game, imo.

Rabscuttle
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
The Niners have to confuse Brees and force him into one of those rare multiple pick games and take advantage of their opportunities that they so often don't capitalize on to win. They leave a **** load of points on the field and settle for three a lot.

With regards to Atlanta, what is this team's identity? I can't even imagine paying to see such a hohum team take the field.

LonghornsLegend
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Alex Smith vs Tim Tebow in the Super Bowl.

You know you want it.

Brent
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM

You know you want it.
I don't give a **** who he faces, if the Niners make the Super Bowl, I'll buy an Alex Smith jersey.

Rosebud
01-09-2012, 11:45 PM

You know you want it.

**** that Eli vs Tebow clutch off.

wogitalia
01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
lol njx... except for half the Broncos fans on here and BB, I'm pretty sure BB is not rooting for Tebow in any shape or form.

The way it's going, when Tebow loses his virginity it will be with BB's mother, that's how much Tebow hates him being right about most everything else :)

JETS5128
01-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Lions/Saints

Now they head to San Francisco for one of the biggest style clashes I can recall. The Saints defense was shredded repeadedly by Calvin Johnson...but the 49ers don't exactly have a guy nicknamed after a Decipticon to do that. Instead, the 49ers will test the Saints up front with a bull dozing o-line leading the way for Frank Gore in a power running attack. Harbaugh loves keeping a FB in to block and regularly plays with extra offensive lineman. This will be an entirely different kind of test for the Saints defense.

On the other side of the ball, again, it will be interesting to see how the teams match up. San Fran has one of, if not thee, best front 7's in football. The Smiths, Willis, Bowman...I highly doubt they'll have tackling issues of the Lions front 7 at least. It's their secondary that is highly suspect to me. I don't believe the 49ers are deep enough in the defensive backfield to handle everything the Saints offense can throw at them.

I really don't know what to expect in this game. You could show me any result within reason and I wouldn't be totally shocked by it. The Saints could win big if their defensive front holds up and forces Alex Smith to try and keep up in a shootout. The 49ers could win big if they dominate the trenches and keep Brees on the sideline and the Saints offense unbalanced. Or I could see a close game either way. I really don't know what to expect and I'm highly looking forward to this game.

My thoughts on this game, which I agree is the most interesting game this weekend

I really feel like this is a great chance for the niners to win. They have the perfect recipe for beating the Saints and match up as well as any team can with them. First off, SF doesn't turn the ball over which is the first key to beat a high powered offense. Making a team drive 70-80 yards for a score every time makes it much harder on the offense. A fresh and healthy Gore should be able to hit 100 easily versus a saints D that can be pushed around and ran on. Smith is also capable of converting 3rd downs to keep the chains moving and has solid weapons in Crabtree, VD, and Kyle Williams. When executing properly this offense controls the ball and the clock. Being able to keep the ball out of Brees' hands for stretches of time is the 2nd key to beating NO.

On the other side of the ball, the Niners have IMO the best D in the league (followed by Ravens and Texans) and get to go against a Saints offense that doesn't play outside particularly well. Their front 7 should be able to stop the saints run game and get pressure on Brees which are another two keys to slowing the saints' attack. Bowman/Willis/Whitner is as good a combination as possible to try and cover Sproles and Graham (Brees' favorite targets). I'm guessing one if not both of them have lackluster days. The secondary vs. the Saints receivers is the biggest concern for SF, Rogers matches up alright with Colston but the other corners on the roster aren't great. Luckily tho the saints secondary receivers are nothing special either. Henderson and Meachem can get deep but thats about it. Slowing down the Saints is no easy task, but the Niners are perfectly equipped to do it. Additionally they get to play at home and outdoors where the Saints dont play as well

IMO this game is gonna come down to Red Zone offense for the niners. If they convert there opportunities into TD's the D will do its job and contain the Saints. Settling for 3 is not an option against NO, if Smith cant make the necessary plays in the red zone to score 7 than the Saints will win. Ultimately I think the Niners pull it out

24-20

49erNation85
01-10-2012, 03:02 AM
where has bb gone this last few days is he alive after Sundays magic win by Tebow the great ?

BeerBaron
01-10-2012, 07:31 AM
he posted in this bloody thread yesterday. is there some reason you felt like this was such a valuable post that you didn't actually need to spend 3.5 seconds answering your own question?

Thank you. I couldn't for the life of me come up with a response that didn't make me sound like a huge dick. (I am a huge dick, but that's besides the point...)

And everyone likes to keep throwing around "hate." "Hate" is too strong of word. I feel like I've explained this once per thread for weeks now.

The only NFL related person I HATE is Bill Polian. The rest I just don't particularly care for.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Matt Ryan had as many attempts as Eli did. And it only worked at the end bc we played prevent defense. He still didn't score once he got in the redzone.

The playcalling was fine. If you stop Michael Turner, you stop the Falcons. That's really all there is to it. We stopped Turner, and the Falcons couldn't score.

Ryan had a bad game. White dropped some passes, but Ryan was inaccurate all game. And he was checking out of plays and getting outsmarted by Boley, who would check out of our plays after Ryan checked out of his.

This wasn't all Mularkey. Ryan audibled a lot in the game, and he was wrong most of the time. Blame Ryan just as much as Mularkey.

BeerBaron
01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Matt Ryan had as many attempts as Eli did. And it only worked at the end bc we played prevent defense. He still didn't score once he got in the redzone.

The playcalling was fine. If you stop Michael Turner, you stop the Falcons. That's really all there is to it. We stopped Turner, and the Falcons couldn't score.

Ryan had a bad game. White dropped some passes, but Ryan was inaccurate all game. And he was checking out of plays and getting outsmarted by Boley, who would check out of our plays after Ryan checked out of his.

This wasn't all Mularkey. Ryan audibled a lot in the game, and he was wrong most of the time. Blame Ryan just as much as Mularkey.

Perhaps this game wasn't the best example of this, because as you say there were other factors at work, but Mularkey's offense is painfully predictable.

"Stop Turner, Stop the Falcons" does not look good on the offensive coordinator. He needs to be able to adapt to situations where the run game doesn't work and he doesn't.

And like I said, Turner is getting slow and his burst is fading fast. He's not a guy you want to rely on for much longer, and ideally, they'd start to phase him out starting next year. Split the carries up a bit more and use him less. He brings nothing other than straight runs up the middle and that's a no-no in the this league. You need to be able to contribute more than that.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Perhaps this game wasn't the best example of this, because as you say there were other factors at work, but Mularkey's offense is painfully predictable.

"Stop Turner, Stop the Falcons" does not look good on the offensive coordinator. He needs to be able to adapt to situations where the run game doesn't work and he doesn't.

And like I said, Turner is getting slow and his burst is fading fast. He's not a guy you want to rely on for much longer, and ideally, they'd start to phase him out starting next year. Split the carries up a bit more and use him less. He brings nothing other than straight runs up the middle and that's a no-no in the this league. You need to be able to contribute more than that.

It's not the playbook. Go back and watch that game over again. And see Matt Ryan try to throw a 15 yard out pattern.

He couldn't do it in the elements. When a fan asks for the coach to open the playbook up, he's essentially asking for more intermediate and deep throws right?

Well, Ryan couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past 10 yards, so what is the OC supposed to do? You can draw up all the routes you want, if your qb can't make the throws, guys are just running around for nothing.

And that's what happened. There were plenty of deep and intermediate routes called by Mularkey. Go back and watch it, they were called. Ryan just didnt get the ball out there. He was inaccurate most of the game.

Couldn't throw it deep, couldn't throw it intermediate, couldn't throw it outside the hashes. What is Mularkey supposed to do?

He had 41 pass attempts. It's not like Mularkey ran it 50 times. 41 times for 199 yards btw, with most of that coming against a prevent defense.

And don't forget Ryan checked into a lot of plays himself. So not all the plays ran were what Mularkey called.

I can't speak for the entire season, but I can say without hesitation that Mularkey was not the problem on Sunday. It was Matt Ryan.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
And it should be noted that Fewell didn't do anything special either. He didn't cook up a great gameplan. We ran a lot of vanilla coverage. Even our blitzes were basic, something straight out of a Madden playbook.

Our guys just beat their guys.

49erNation85
01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Sorry guys it was 2 am when I posted my second post. And I usually do go back and read them to find out but I was tired and already asleep but just typing.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
He had 41 pass attempts. It's not like Mularkey ran it 50 times. 41 times for 199 yards btw, with most of that coming against a prevent defense.

I can't speak for the entire season, but I can say without hesitation that Mularkey was not the problem on Sunday. It was Matt Ryan.

Only because we had to once we got down multiple scores...The playcalling was painfully predictable, as always. Also, Roddy having hands of stone didn't help.

Am I abdicating Matt of all blame? No. He often got happy feet in the pocket, which lead to a lot of sub par throws. A reoccurring theme in the playoffs; he seemed to want more than anything to not be the reason we lost. Maybe some of that can be put on Mularkey's game plan, maybe it can't. Either way, Mularkey didn't do him any favors Sunday.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Our guys just beat their guys.

This is basically what it came down to. I hated what Mularkey did, and Ryan was extremely unimpressive, but as I said before, Ryan would have had to be perfect for us to win. We got manhandled on both sides at the LOS, and although the defense played better than usual, eventually Nicks/Cruz was going to make a big play on a Grimes/Moore free secondary.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Only because we had to once we got down multiple scores...The playcalling was painfully predictable, as always. Also, Roddy having hands of stone didn't help.

Am I abdicating Matt of all blame? No. He often got happy feet in the pocket, which lead to a lot of sub par throws. A reoccurring theme in the playoffs; he seemed to want more than anything to not be the reason we lost. Maybe some of that can be put on Mularkey's game plan, maybe it can't. Either way, Mularkey didn't do him any favors Sunday.

I can agree with that. I would have liked to have seen more slants to Julio. Ross can't defend the quick slant to save his life, I'm suprised you guys didn't attack him with Julio.

I'll assume that Tony was just blanketed by Boley, Boley does a great job covering TEs, and Tony has lost a step. I'll also assume that Web did a great job on White bc Web is a very good CB and White hasn't been as great as in years past.

So to me, it should have been a Julio fest. Surprisingly, even when Julio wasn't even looked at by Ryan even when the presnap read indicated the ball should go to Julio. Mularkey should have got on Ryan a little for that, not feeding Julio enough. It was there. Ryan just didn't take advantage of it.

BeerBaron
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Roddy did a good job on himself. I think his final drop count was up to 4. That's Braylon/Ginn territory.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Roddy did a good job on himself. I think his final drop count was up to 4. That's Braylon/Ginn territory.

It's such a shame. Even with him leading the world in drops, he's still a good WR, but before this year, it would have been very tough to keep him out of your top 5 WRs, possibly top 3. (Before Calvin became superhumanly good as opposed to just really good)

NY+Giants=NYG
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I can agree with that. I would have liked to have seen more slants to Julio. Ross can't defend the quick slant to save his life, I'm suprised you guys didn't attack him with Julio.

I'll assume that Tony was just blanketed by Boley, Boley does a great job covering TEs, and Tony has lost a step. I'll also assume that Web did a great job on White bc Web is a very good CB and White hasn't been as great as in years past.

So to me, it should have been a Julio fest. Surprisingly, even when Julio wasn't even looked at by Ryan even when the presnap read indicated the ball should go to Julio. Mularkey should have got on Ryan a little for that, not feeding Julio enough. It was there. Ryan just didn't take advantage of it.

Good posts BBD. I am not impressive with Ryan at all. I guess the Falcons thought they were 1 WR away to compete with GB and the high scoring teams, but not 1 FG or TD is hard to swallow.

Supposed franchise QB, 1 greatest TE ever to play, and 2 good WRs, and still can't score a single point. I had a feeling all week that things would be different outside that damn dome. 11 games they played it in. Imagine if it was actually windy like it normally is? That's 3 playoff games I am not impressed with ryan.

Not to mention, their team quit. 3rd quarterish, they looked like they tapped out. They looked like they just wanted to leave and head back home. Who is the offensive leader on that team? Are they any leaders on that team?

I was saying during the game at 10-2 that the Falcons were one haymaker away from being knocked out. At 17-2, I knew that was a TKO, they weren't getting back up, and their attitude showed it.

Jughead10
01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Supposed franchise QB, 1 greatest TE ever to play, and 2 good WRs, and still can't score a single point. I had a feeling all week that things would be different outside that damn dome. 11 games they played it in. Imagine if it was actually windy like it normally is? That's 3 playoff games I am not impressed with ryan.

It was windy. I've seen it a lot worse, but it was certainly windy.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
It was windy. I've seen it a lot worse, but it was certainly windy.

Was it? Didn't look like it. I have been to windy. That damn redskins game couple years back, I was at. Impossible to do anything but run the ball. We passed a lot that game! Haha!

Jughead10
01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Was it? Didn't look like it. I have been to windy. That damn redskins game couple years back, I was at. Impossible to do anything but run the ball. We passed a lot that game! Haha!

It was in my section. Right in my face. I had my typical pink face for 24 hours after the game because of windburn.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
It was in my section. Right in my face. I had my typical pink face for 24 hours after the game because of windburn.

LOL. Now that would be a funny sight to see. On tv, it seems normal. I don't think they mentioned it either. Well that's good for us then! Makes that MM TD pass even better!

Jughead10
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
LOL. Now that would be a funny sight to see. On tv, it seems normal. I don't think they mentioned it either. Well that's good for us then! Makes that MM TD pass even better!

Well that one would have been wind aided. I was in the end zone where it was scored. But who knows. The wind swirls. The people in the opposite endzone probably felt it blowing in their face too.