PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt comments on this year's rookie QB's

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Could it be the best crop ever??????

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82509efb/article/class-of-11-rivals-best-crop-of-rookie-quarterbacks-ever

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
We'll see I guess? Everyone thought the 2003 class of QBs would be tits, too. And the results were promising after their rookie years.

You're looking for flashes and red flags in year one, nothing else - you can't expect any real consistency. There's a year of tape out on these guys now, so the men will get separated from the boys in the next year or two.

How will Cam Newton respond to having high expectations next year?

How much larger of a role on offense can Dalton conceivably take? What's his ceiling, realistically? Similar question for Ponder.

Will Jake Locker ever actually...progress? He didn't in college.

Will Blaine Gabbert's balls drop, and will he stand in the pocket and keep his eye level downfield?

Can Ryan Mallett ever become elite in the pre-snap phase and be a LOS quarterback? He'll have to understand the intricacies of protections and defensive fronts to overcome his feet.

Will Kaepernick ever emerge?

I know this sounds like a cynical, but I'm interested to see these guys develop over the next few years.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
We'll see I guess? Everyone thought the 2003 class of QBs would be tits, too. And the results were promising after their rookie years.

You're looking for flashes and red flags in year one, nothing else - you can't expect any real consistency. There's a year of tape out on these guys now, so the men will get separated from the boys in the next year or two.

How will Cam Newton respond to having high expectations next year?

How much larger of a role on offense can Dalton conceivably take? What's his ceiling, realistically? Similar question for Ponder.

Will Jake Locker ever actually...progress? He didn't in college.

Will Blaine Gabbert's balls drop, and will he stand in the pocket and keep his eye level downfield?

Can Ryan Mallett ever become elite in the pre-snap phase and be a LOS quarterback? He'll have to understand the intricacies of protections and defensive fronts to overcome his feet.

I know this sounds like a cynical, but I'm interested to see these guys develop over the next few years.

All good points, certainly way too early to call it either way.

ChiFan24
01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
What is Andy Dalton's ceiling? I hated him as a prospect, and he looked like crap in the playoffs, but he did more in his rookie season than I expected in his entire career.

Locker vs. Dalton would be a good debate. I think I'd have to stick with Locker.

descendency
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
What is Andy Dalton's ceiling?

The same as his floor.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I tried to pay really close attention to the QB class this year.

I'll say this: sometime around midseason, I realized that I was holding Cam to a much higher standard than the rest of the QBs. And not in the "I dislike him so I'm trying to be mean to him" sort of way, but in the "holy ****, I keep forgetting this guy is a rookie, he is on a completely different level" sort of way.

ChiFan24
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
The same as his floor.

....So exactly what he is right now.

Rob S
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm already excited for year 2 of the Gabbert suck-fest.

SuperPacker
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
@ChiFan24

Were you the one who bought the duck? I just read that off the Hall of Fame thing and laughed my had off throughout he whole thing :D that has to be the best thread ever made.

SuperPacker
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm already excited for year 2 of the Gabbert suck-fest.

If hes still playing for the Jaguars that is...

General Zod
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I saw enough good in Ponder this season to give me hope for improvment for next year. Yeah he had his share of rookie mistakes, but with what he had to work with(lousy WRs, terrible O-line, and most games without Peterson and our HC, Leslie Childress) some of thats to be expected.

For the most part I agree with Gil's comments.

I know we reached for Ponder, but Im just so glad we didnt draft Gabbert. lol

descendency
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM

It'd be awesome if someone traded for Jimmy Clausen and we could have a duel of Gabbert and Clausen during a primetime game!

Might have the first 4-2 football game ever.

WCH
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
"Could it be the best crop ever?"

No.

In fact, not just "no." Hell no.

The 1983 NFL Draft gave us three HoF QBs and a two-time Pro Bowler. By his second season, Dan Marino was setting records that would stand for more than 20 years. Jon Elway and Jim Kelly dominated the AFC for the next 15 years, winning the conference title nine times between the two of them. Ken O'Brien would have been the best QB taken in a lot of drafts, and nobody even remembers that he was in the class of 1983. Because he sucked in comparison to the three Hall of Famers taken that year.

I'm on Cam Newton's nuts as much as any non-idiot, but there's about a zero-percent chance that this class rivals the 1983 class. Brandt is being intentionally stupid in order to get page hits.

Brent
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
cynical answer: after next season
optimist answer: never

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Most classes give out maybe one elite QB and a solid starter. This class would have to make serious progression to even come close to the level of 04 (and if Rivers ever wins a ring, I think that class locks up "GOAT" status).

What happens a lot of the time is guys show a ton of promise in their first couple years and the progression just stops. QB careers are just so ******* volatile. Look at 2009: heading into the year, Stafford had proved the least because of injury, Freeman was seen as a incredibly hot commodity, and Sanchez had his legion of supporters.

A few years of solid/good play usually levels out or sharply declines more often than it turns into consistent progression. Guys get figured out. :shrug:

descendency
01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
I think most people don't remember how bad the 2007 and 2008 draft classes were though.

The combine classes have yielded two starters maybe 3: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and either Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb. I doubt both are starters in the NFL though.

so some of this "greatest class ever" is just a product of how bad some recent classes have been.

DraftSavant
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I think most people don't remember how bad the 2007 and 2008 draft classes were though.

The combine classes have yielded two starters maybe 3: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and either Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb. I doubt both are starters in the NFL though.

so some of this "greatest class ever" is just a product of how bad some recent classes have been.

And remember the hype those to created after their rookie years?

Joe Flacco's turn to go big or go home.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Andy Dalton really surprised me. I wonder how much of his success can be attributed to Gruden and Green.

J-Mike88
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Could it be the best crop ever??????

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82509efb/article/class-of-11-rivals-best-crop-of-rookie-quarterbacks-ever
Without even reading it:

1983: Marino, Elway, and Kelly > Any other class.

2004: Eli, Big ***** Ben, Rivers > 2011

No contest.
Just a wild statement to draw attention by Brandt if he's saying this.

Remember, the ball was juiced this year.

ChiFan24
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
@ChiFan24

Were you the one who bought the duck? I just read that off the Hall of Fame thing and laughed my had off throughout he whole thing :D that has to be the best thread ever made.

I sure did. Pretty hilarious that it's one of two Hall of Fame threads in this board's history.

Side note: I'm sad to report that domesticated ducks should never, ever be released into the wild. :(

WCH
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I sure did. Pretty hilarious that it's one of two Hall of Fame threads in this board's history.

Side note: I'm sad to report that domesticated ducks should never, ever be released into the wild. :(

I've actually emailed that thread to non-football-fan friends of mine! The opening post is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read on the internet!

Sorry to hear that the Pet Duck experiment didn't end well. :(

gpngc
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton and Locker both don't progress much.

PoopSandwich
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Good luck beating 2004... They already have 3 super bowl rings from the first rounders as well as a QB in Phillip Rivers that could possibly win one.

Babylon
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton and Locker both don't progress much.

Spoken like a true fan of the Seahawks, who basically chose not to pursue either of those guys. Love a good company man.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
What is Andy Dalton's ceiling? I hated him as a prospect, and he looked like crap in the playoffs, but he did more in his rookie season than I expected in his entire career.

Locker vs. Dalton would be a good debate. I think I'd have to stick with Locker.

People don't seem to realize, he had the 4th best rookie season all time for a QB.

DraftSavant
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
People don't seem to realize, he had the 4th best rookie season all time for a QB.

It wasn't better than Matt Ryan's. And what are we questioning to this day with Ryan? His ceiling.

Saints-Tigers
01-10-2012, 03:45 PM
The problem with people projecting QB's these days is that they expect everyone to take the same huge step forwards. So if a guy comes in and starts on a decent team (Sanchez) or plays fairly well(Dalton, Ryan, Bradford), he's expected to be a star, even if he doesn't have that type of talent.

DraftSavant
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
The problem with people projecting QB's these days is that they expect everyone to take the same huge step forwards. So if a guy comes in and starts on a decent team (Sanchez) or plays fairly well(Dalton, Ryan, Bradford), he's expected to be a star, even if he doesn't have that type of talent.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^