PDA

View Full Version : C Peter Konz, Wisconsin

Big_Pete
01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Konz has declared and seems to be considered by many to be the top centre prospect in the draft.

I haven't seen him play, what can people tell me about him?

Where is his stock right now?

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Konz has declared and seems to be considered by many to be the top centre prospect in the draft.

Extremely smart football player, good footwoork/redirection skills, does a good job of getting to the 2nd level. More advanced as a run blocker than a pass blocker.

Late first now, probably.

A Perfect Score
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM

I can't see him going as high as Pouncey did last year, but I think he's every bit the same level of player. Hell, I might like Konz better as an actual C then I did Pouncey. I can see Konz going anywhere from 18-32. I'd love him in Baltimore. He's one of those guys who you can just plug in at C and expect a Pro Bowler for the next 10+ years.

CashmoneyDrew
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Needs to be a Titan if DeCastro doesn't make it to us.

jbooshey
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
One of the better athletes you'll see at Center. Pulls with regularity and gets to the edge with ease. Has great size like all UW lineman. The only concern is his latest injury. He should be fine since he played in the Rose Bowl and did well. If needed, he could also play guard...that is where he started his career at UW.

Mufasa
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I think he's a better prospect than either Pouncey.

princefielder28
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Extremely smart football player, good footwoork/redirection skills, does a good job of getting to the 2nd level. More advanced as a run blocker than a pass blocker.

One of the better athletes you'll see at Center. Pulls with regularity and gets to the edge with ease. Has great size like all UW lineman. The only concern is his latest injury. He should be fine since he played in the Rose Bowl and did well. If needed, he could also play guard...that is where he started his career at UW.

summed up pretty well with these two posts...i think he could go as high as Dallas at 14

SRogers92
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think there's any way he'll go in the top 15, especially to Dallas. Dallas has a ton of other issues.

Sloopy
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM

This would be my only concern. He has yet to go a whole season without injury in his 3 years as a starter

keylime_5
01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
He's not as athletic as the Pounceys were I don't think. He is very tough and sound though and a big strong guy for a center, much bigger than typical college centers. He's closer to Alex Mack I think than the Pouncey twins.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Love Konz. My favorite C prospect since Mangold. I think he's better than Brewster. I really wish the Giants didn't grab Baas, I really wanted him on the Giants.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I think he's better than Brewster.

I'm really not sure how people could argue against this.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm really not sure how people could argue this.

Superior run blocker, more mass, has a nastier mean streak. He gets to the 2nd level better than Brewster.

I also think Brewster is a little too long for a Center. He'd make a better G.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Superior run blocker, more mass, has a nastier mean streak. He gets to the 2nd level better than Brewster.

I also think Brewster is a little too long for a Center. He'd make a better G.

My bad, accidentally left out the "against". I completely agree. I think he's vastly superior to Brewster.

proshoota25
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
hoping this stud falls to one of New England's picks, but I doubt that happens

keylime_5
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm really not sure how people could argue against this.

i know there are some scouts who think brewster is the top center in the draft. i think konze will go first though. either way, he's quite a fine prospect himself and will be probably an early 2nd round choice. he had a good year blocking this year, but he didn't make any all-american or all-conference teams this year b/c he had like 5 bad snaps after being a good snapper his first three years.

Sloopy
01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
My bad, accidentally left out the "against". I completely agree. I think he's vastly superior to Brewster.

Brewster has certainly fallen off in this debate but I think anyone who doesn't think Brewster is the #2 C in this draft is kidding themselves and I certainly wouldn't say "vastly superior"

As I understand it Brewster has been better at making pre-snap reads. Brewster has also faired similarly well against the same competition as Konz and doesn't come with the injury concerns.

Still, the man from Wisc gets the nod as the #1

ATLDirtyBirds
01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Brewster has certainly fallen off in this debate but I think anyone who doesn't think Brewster is the #2 C in this draft is kidding themselves and I certainly wouldn't say "vastly superior"

As I understand it Brewster has been better at making pre-snap reads. Brewster has also faired similarly well against the same competition as Konz and doesn't come with the injury concerns.

Still, the man from Wisc gets the nod as the #1

Brewster's a nice little prospect in his own right, but Konz is a top 15-20 prospect in this class. Brewster's a 2nd-3rd rounder. There's a sizable difference.

Mitchell
01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
One of my pet peeves about the draft is that all the elite guards and center prospects get snatched up by the playoff teams.

Konz is going to be a very good player for a very good team.

Sloopy
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Brewster's a nice little prospect in his own right, but Konz is a top 15-20 prospect in this class. Brewster's a 2nd-3rd rounder. There's a sizable difference.

I think that Brewster goes in the 2nd and would be a steal in the 3rd. While there may be a sizable difference in where they get drafted, I don't think that anyone should snub having to settle for Brewster.

There is a reason why Brewster has taken home accolades over Konz in the past and while Konz seems to have overtaken him as of late; it's not like Brewster has exactly been tooled up on by the same competition and he certainly is no slouch.

I'm not trying to nit pick but I think your kidding yourself if you think that Brewster is a "nice little prospect" who is far off from Konz.

phlysac
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
If he falls to the 49ers it'd surprise me if Baalke didn't select him to become the signal-man for Harbaugh's Jumbo, Power-O.

ellsy82
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
I think that Brewster goes in the 2nd and would be a steal in the 3rd. While there may be a sizable difference in where they get drafted, I don't think that anyone should snub having to settle for Brewster.

There is a reason why Brewster has taken home accolades over Konz in the past and while Konz seems to have overtaken him as of late; it's not like Brewster has exactly been tooled up on by the same competition and he certainly is no slouch.

I'm not trying to nit pick but I think your kidding yourself if you think that Brewster is a "nice little prospect" who is far off from Konz.

That's funny. I think he'll be lucky to get drafted in the third. The guy is a superior pass protector, and you're right in that I think he'd be a helluva LG (not you, previously stated). He's got a ton of experience and knows all the tricks...but the dude needs to bulk up (which he DOES have the frame for), if he wants to be any decent in run blocking at the pro level. Perfect left guard project in my mind. But he is still a project. Probably be drafted in the early 4th.

SenorGato
01-11-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah just reiterating...Arguably the top pure OL in this draft even over DeCastro...my favorite C prospect since Mangold though both Mack and Pouncey were also pretty damn good.

rawdawg
01-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Big fan of Konz, but I'd put him just slightly below Maurkice Pouncey coming out. Maybe I shouldn't though, but I saw a lot of Dermonti Dawson in Pouncey, and Dawson is a soon to be HOF C. Konz has some similarities to Mangold, but I think Nick is a notch better.

JohnCandy
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
He is different than the Pouncey's who were elite athletes.

Konz is different because he is 6'5" 320lbs and is a mauler in the run game. He reminds me of Mangold or Logan Mankins guys with exceptional technique and rare strength.

I think the conversation for Konz start with the Bears at 19 and ends with the Ravens.

Mike Tice is the Bears new OC and he loves Wisconsin OLmen.

Sloopy
01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
That's funny. I think he'll be lucky to get drafted in the third. The guy is a superior pass protector, and you're right in that I think he'd be a helluva LG (not you, previously stated). He's got a ton of experience and knows all the tricks...but the dude needs to bulk up (which he DOES have the frame for), if he wants to be any decent in run blocking at the pro level. Perfect left guard project in my mind. But he is still a project. Probably be drafted in the early 4th.

Yes bulking up would be an immediate need. I think that for his size he has been pretty good actually in run blocking but he won't continue to get away with it at the next level at 293 lbs.

I maintain he sneaks into the 2nd but may fall into the early 3rd. Someone who needs a center won't be willing to wait around and see if he is there in the third

bigbluedefense
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I like Brewster more at G than C. I think he's a little long and thin, I like my Cs to be more squat.

Mufasa
01-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Yes bulking up would be an immediate need. I think that for his size he has been pretty good actually in run blocking but he won't continue to get away with it at the next level at 293 lbs.

293 is really not that undersized for a center. In fact there are 9 starting centers who are 296 or less

Casey Wiegmann - 285
Chris Myers - 289
Jeff Faine - 291
Olin Kruetz - 292
Dominic Raiola - 295
Ryan Kalil - 295
Jeff Saturday - 295
Dan Koppen - 296
Todd McClure - 296

Witten4HOF
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM
293 is really not that undersized for a center. In fact there are 9 starting centers who are 296 or less

Casey Wiegmann - 285
Chris Myers - 289
Jeff Faine - 291
Olin Kruetz - 292
Dominic Raiola - 295
Ryan Kalil - 295
Jeff Saturday - 295
Dan Koppen - 296
Todd McClure - 296

Chris Myers is the only player from your listing that is taller than 6'2 and benefits from the zone blocking scheme that the Texans have implimented. Brewester is 6'5 and can definately stand to add 20 lbs to his frame to improve his thin base. I agree with BIGBLUE that his height may ultimately force him to slide over to guard.

Mufasa
01-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize he was 6'5".

TheFinisher
01-12-2012, 06:17 AM
I don't think there's any way he'll go in the top 15, especially to Dallas. Dallas has a ton of other issues.

There aren't many larger issues than Phil Costa, Center is a big time need.

rawdawg
01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
He is different than the Pouncey's who were elite athletes.

Konz is different because he is 6'5" 320lbs and is a mauler in the run game. He reminds me of Mangold or Logan Mankins guys with exceptional technique and rare strength.

I think the conversation for Konz start with the Bears at 19 and ends with the Ravens.

Mike Tice is the Bears new OC and he loves Wisconsin OLmen.

That was my thought a couple months ago, and I definitely targeted Konz for the Bears. But they did extend Garza for 2 more years, Chris Spencer can also play C, and Edwin Williams (who played well at LG) can also. If the thought is moving Garza back to RG, I don't think that happens either because the Bears have Spencer and Edwin, along with Louis and Chris Williams who started multiple games at Guard last year all with some semblance of success.

And if the Bears go for a C in the first round, that better mean they've signed a top WR and brought in a LT also in free agency, because those are much bigger needs at this point.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-12-2012, 07:39 AM
I maintain he sneaks into the 2nd but may fall into the early 3rd. Someone who needs a center won't be willing to wait around and see if he is there in the third

And someone "sneaking into the 2nd" or more than likely going into the 3rd is clearly inferior to someone who is going top 20.

RaiderNation
03-30-2012, 12:23 AM
So whats Konz stock at now? At one point Konz was a late 1st round prospect, but I've seen mocks have him in the 2nd.

Iamcanadian
03-30-2012, 08:40 AM

I agree, Brewster will be lucky to be drafted in the 4th rounds. He cannot handle a bull rush at all and would have to add 25lbs. to even play at the next level.

phlysac
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
So whats Konz stock at now? At one point Konz was a late 1st round prospect, but I've seen mocks have him in the 2nd.

I'm thinking 25-35.

Iamcanadian
03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking 25-35.

I think that is about right. He is a beautiful technician. His hand positioning and body positioning is suburb but he is not a power player who can move people with his strength and won't suit every team's needs at OC.

xpmar9x
03-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I could see Konz at:

Titans (20), GB (28), or Ravens (29) at the earliest. I think he's more of an early 2nd rounder.

bitonti
03-30-2012, 10:27 AM
most of the draft community is overrating Konz. He's injury prone, young, and by the way 18 reps of 225 is a pitiful number for an interior lineman. it shows a lack of weight room committment. I've heard that he was somewhat hollywood in interviews, talking about all his other interests besides football. teams don't want to hear about your band dude. They want a guy with no other options.

I'd grade him in the mid 2nd. he's not a Pouncey and he's certainly not a Mangold. i think there's a small chance Ben Jones goes before Konz.

Sloopy
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
most of the draft community is overrating Konz. He's injury prone, young, and by the way 18 reps of 225 is a pitiful number for an interior lineman.

THIS. This is why I wouldn't draft Konz in the first round.

I believe I said it at the beginning of the season in this thread, Konz has yet to play an entire season without injury. If he couldn't stand up to the grind in college (12-13 games) what makes you think he can stand up to it in the NFL (16-20 games)?

Not to mention, his talent level isn't even close to that of some of the centers drafted in round one of recent drafts.

I agree, Brewster will be lucky to be drafted in the 4th rounds. He cannot handle a bull rush at all and would have to add 25lbs. to even play at the next level.

What are you basing this off of?

e9FrV0C7Ins

Holds up pretty well against Worthy here and the rest of Michigan States DL in both the pass and the run, taking on linemen and LBs. I don't have time to break it all down now but I don't see anything which would sway me from taking this guy.

Brewster is probably one of the more under-rated players in this draft. He may not have the pure strength of Jones or Blake (although he did get more reps than Konz :P) but I think he can certainly hold his own.

Throw in experience and rather quick feet and I like this guy as my #2-#3 center in this draft. I like Blake's upside which might deter me from putting him as #2 but I think that (as opposed to Blake) Brewster could be an impact, day one starter.

Jones may be better suited as an OG at the next level and AGAIN I wouldn't touch Konz in round one unless I didn't really have a choice.

mightytitan9
03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
He's most likely gonna be a 2nd rounder as I've said for a while. I'm really about 90% positive the Titans will not select him in the first, and it's possible he's there in the 2nd