PDA

View Full Version : Best DE in the NFL Playoffs

J-Mike88
01-10-2012, 05:13 AM
(It's been awhile)

We have some elite, fantastic, dominant DE's in the playoffs, including one rookie stud who already made a gigantic impact in the playoffs and has a head start on this poll.

That being said, who do you think will be the most dominant DE in the entire playoff season?

I wish I had any of these guys, and I still wonder why Cincinnati let Smith go to the Niners.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/1/7/1325980089426/JJ-Watt-returns-an-interc-007.jpg
http://arodrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Haloti-Ngata-RULEs.jpg
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/671296/gyi0062273468.jpg
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/12/05/sports/web_galleries/g_giantspackers/120411Giants56CW223935--500x380.jpg

Timbathia
01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Doom gonna rock Brady hard this week.

FlyingElvis
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm going with Watt b/c I think the Texans are getting zero credit. Games are won in the trenches and they have big talent on both sides. He'll have the best post season as they make their way through Baltimore and Foxborough to get into the SB.

vidae
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Haloti Ngata is the best defensive lineman in football, so I voted for him.

prock
01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Likewise. All of those players are really ******* good though. Ngata is just too awesome though.

soybean
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I've been extremely impressed with Elvis Dumervil.

Splat
01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Haloti Ngata is the best defensive lineman in football, so I voted for him.

This. That said Jason Pierre-Paul is a beast...

Raiderz4Life
01-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I would vote JPP but as Vid said...Ngata is the absolutely best period.

the_dark_knight
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
It's not really a good poll. Ngata is easily the best. JPP has a ton of potential though.

xooberon
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Gotta be Justin Smith, guy's been the most dominant this season.

bigbluedefense
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Ngata has actually had a down year for his standards. Im going with Justin Smith. He's been the most dominant of the bunch this year.

A Perfect Score
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Personally, I think Justin Smith is the second best 3-4 DL in the NFL after Haloti Ngata, but JPP has been an absolute stud this year as well. I still voted for Ngata, but it really isn't a head and shoulders type of thing. Smith and JPP have both been stellar this year.

I don't know what you're talking about with the down year though, BBD. Ngata was on an absolute tear for the first 6 or 7 games, and while he did slow down a bit towards the end of the year, he still has an enormous impact on our defense. Just ask soon to be DPOTY Terrell Suggs how important Ngata is to our defense.

J-Mike88
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Gotta be Justin Smith, guy's been the most dominant this season.
I agree with that..... he's been a helluva playmaker, dominant.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bushrod against him Saturday.

Not sure on the tackle & sack statistics, but JJ Watt obviously already made a helluva, game-changing play in the wildcard game.

Tough to beat that one.... no he's hunting after some Flacco & Rice.

RaiderNation
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I love JPP, I wanted us to draft him instead of McClain in 2012 and he is clearly a up and coming star at DE.

scottyboy
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
other:

http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/dave-tollefson-new-york-giants-224jpg-bd49b2d8982ad419_large.jpg

xooberon
01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I agree with that..... he's been a helluva playmaker, dominant.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bushrod against him Saturday.

I think the more exciting matchup will be the snaps where he's up against Nicks. Right now they're probably the best at their respective positions so it should be a great battle.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I love Ngata, but I am going JPP!!!! He plays special teams as well. Watch out when you kick a FG!

DBNYDP
01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
So hard to compare Smith + Ngata against Pierre Paul or Dumervil. When I think of DE I'm thinking of 4-3 DE, and I think Pierre Paul has just been dominant (though Doom should be included in the poll).

descendency
01-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Ngata is the best DL. I don't know that he's the best "DE".

JPP is the best rush end.

49erNation85
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Going with Justin Smith. Only because he is just such a solid all around player when it comes to game time.

Rosebud
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
All of the above? JPP has already dominated against the Falcons in the playoffs, Smith has been dominant pretty much all year long and Ngata has been the most dominant DL in the league over the past few years.

Giantsfan1080
01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Watt was one of my favorite players coming out of the draft this year. I was actually rooting for the Giants to possibly take another DE but I also never could have imagined what JPP would turn in to.

BaLLiN
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
When you start getting triple teamed, you know you're THAT good. Don't think there's a bad choice here but I don't think Watt is up to the other three yet.

TACKLE
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
When you start getting triple teamed, you know you're THAT good. Don't think there's a bad choice here but I don't think Watt is up to the other three yet.

Because he's an elite 34 DE. He'd be my last choice but I don't think he's that out of place.

edit: wait what? JPP has three times more votes than Justin Smith???

Giantsfan1080
01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Because he's an elite 34 DE. He'd be my last choice but I don't think he's that out of place.

edit: wait what? JPP has three times more votes than Justin Smith???

JPP did just as much as Smith if not more with less talent around him. Tuck was having the worst year of his career, Osi was injured more than he played, our LB corps was crap for most of the year, and our secondary couldn't stop anything because of our inept coverages. Smith is excellent and I'm not trying to knock him at all but JPP single handedly won us some games including the one in Dallas. Smith had major help with Willis, Bowman, and A. Smith.

niel89
01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I love Ngata but its easily J Smith for me. The guy gets it done at a very high level in passing and running situations. The rest of the 49ers defense benefits greatly from him and not the other way around.

FUNBUNCHER
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
All those dudes listed are game changers and each one of them brings their unique brand of 'fear' to an offense.

Honestly I couldn't pick, partly because a 43 DE was included among the other 34 DEs.

All these guys have that unique ability to spin a QB's helmet.
You know, after a sack when the QB gets up and he's looking out the ear hole of his helmet.

ChiFan24
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
These guys don't really play the same position. Regardless, I threw Justin Smith some love.

wogitalia
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
All I know is that it would be awesome if it was Watts...

I've finally picked the team I want and I would love to see Houston rep the AFC, would just be a cool story and shaft so many things I don't like such as Dallas Cowboys(Wade!), the NFL trying to be pass only, it's a QB league.

On a positive, even if they lose, the Ravens still rep some of that, especially given they win despite their QB(I honestly think they'd be better off if they didn't have Flacco, they spend far too much time trying to prove he is anything but an average NFL QB)

FSPH
01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
NGATA easy. Just watch how many times he has been covered one on one this year. No one draws as much attention as him. Big reason we can get away with 3 and 4 man rushes

niel89
01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
maybe there should be another thread for outside pass rushers and have this thread be more for inside DL.

comahan
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I love me some Watt, but hes pretty clearly #4 out of those 4 right now.

I'd take Ngata. Dude is amazing.

Shane P. Hallam
01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Justin Smith has been the best all year, no reason to go away from him now.

J-Mike88
01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Justin Smith has been the best all year, no reason to go away from him now.
A lot of these guys here say that is not true, that Ngata has been the best.
Not sure what they are basing it on other than hearing others from Baltimore say it.

Ngata is great, but I can't imagine he's had more impact this season than Smith has. Seems like the west coast Niners don't get the same love, other than Patrick Willis for some reason.

phlysac
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
A lot of these guys here say that is not true, that Ngata has been the best.
Not sure what they are basing it on other than hearing others from Baltimore say it.

Ngata is great, but I can't imagine he's had more impact this season than Smith has. Seems like the west coast Niners don't get the same love, other than Patrick Willis for some reason.

Thank you for this post. It's so difficult to try to argue for just how underrated Justin Smith is without being disregarded as a homer. Justin Smith is practically dominant on every single snap he plays.

All of the players on the poll are exciting.

MasterShake
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Justin Smith:

1st team all-pro DT
3rd team all-pro DE

Some people do realize he was the best DL in football this year.

phlysac
01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Justin Smith:

1st team all-pro DT
3rd team all-pro DE

Not judging by this poll ;P

scottyboy
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
so who else voted other, obviously agreeing with me on Tolly?

Timbathia
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
so who else voted other, obviously agreeing with me on Tolly?

I homered to throw Doom some love.

J-Mike88
01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Justin Smith:

1st team all-pro DT
3rd team all-pro DE

A lot of casual fans had never even really watched Smith before today.
I hope they all noticed him today, and why some of us voted for him today.
Dude is THE BEST bad none.

Plus if Shane P Hallam said so.... case closed.

LonghornsLegend
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Justin Smith ******* destroyed **** today. It's been awhile since I had seen a performance like that, he looked possesed. He was pushing through guys, grabbing Brees from any way he could, it was amazing to watch. If you have that type of penetration from your 3-4 DE it makes so many more things easy.

MasterShake
01-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Justin Smith is my vote for DPoY.

I hope today helps open some peoples eyes as to why he deserves it, stats aren't everything.

Ness
01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Justin Smith ******* destroyed **** today. It's been awhile since I had seen a performance like that, he looked possesed. He was pushing through guys, grabbing Brees from any way he could, it was amazing to watch. If you have that type of penetration from your 3-4 DE it makes so many more things easy.

It was good to get him and a lot of other guys his first playoff victory.

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 06:07 AM
It's no wonder why this guy was such a high draft pick, and a good one obviously, by the ........ Bungles.

Why'd they let him go?
Same reason we let our good DT/DE Cullen Jenkins go?

Again, Justin Smith wins this poll so far.... Ngata, Watt, and JPP have their answer today. I hope we hear nothing about JPP except "encroachment, #90, defense" today a few times.... and "personal foul, hand to the helmet, #90 defense".....

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0114/nfl_u_brees12_600.jpg

Larry
01-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Justin Smith simply owned Bushrod all day. Beast!!

abaddon41_80
01-15-2012, 07:17 AM

That is pretty much how he always plays.

phlysac
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/54/fullj.f67942f9b0dad98a1ca3c52513911a70/ap-201201141841672910337.jpg

domingo
01-15-2012, 05:14 PM
What a picture! Smith is a beast. He does nothing fancy just extreme effort throughout the game and continues to get better and better as he wears down his opponents.

descendency
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
After watching the game yesterday, it's clearly Justin Smith.

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
I said it in our team thread, but his motor was the most impressive thing. I've never seen Ware play with that type of intensity play to play for a full game, even with as many sacks as he gets.

Vox Populi
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I said it in our team thread, but his motor was the most impressive thing. I've never seen Ware play with that type of intensity play to play for a full game, even with as many sacks as he gets.

As awesome as Ware is, his success as a pass rusher stems a lot more from his athleticism and pass rush moves as opposed to Smith's complete lack of pass rush moves outside of "I'm going straight through this guy in front of me" so its understandable that Ware would never look like hes giving the same kind of effort, hes just using different strategies.

Brent
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM
As awesome as Ware is, his success as a pass rusher stems a lot more from his athleticism and pass rush moves as opposed to Smith's complete lack of pass rush moves outside of "I'm going straight through this guy in front of me" so its understandable that Ware would never look like hes giving the same kind of effort, hes just using different strategies.
Smith has a swim move.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I love Ryan Kerrigan but damn I wish we kept the 10th pick and selected JJ Watt. The kid is a monster and will only get better.

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
That is pretty much how he always plays.
Honestly, most of the fans in here and around the USA (outside of the SF market) really haven't seen much of Justin Smith this season or ever because the Niners were bad til this year.

Watt was great again today. Two big games for the pizza-delivery man. Not his fault they lost.

Anyone who chose him wins too because his playoffs were All-Pro level.

Dallas357
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm going with Watt b/c I think the Texans are getting zero credit. Games are won in the trenches and they have big talent on both sides. He'll have the best post season as they make their way through Baltimore and Foxborough to get into the SB.

good call...

DraftSavant
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I love Ryan Kerrigan but damn I wish we kept the 10th pick and selected JJ Watt. The kid is a monster and will only get better.

I wish you would have, too.

First, your team allows my team to move up for Gabbert. And then they destroy Adrian Peterson's knee. How many franchises must Washington be allowed to ruin before we, as NFL fans, stand up and stop them?

nikkayeah
01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/950337/smith2.gif

Bengalsrocket
01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Honestly, most of the fans in here and around the USA (outside of the SF market) really haven't seen much of Justin Smith this season or ever because the Niners were bad til this year.

Watt was great again today. Two big games for the pizza-delivery man. Not his fault they lost.

Anyone who chose him wins too because his playoffs were All-Pro level.

He was just as good as a 4-3 DE in Cincinnati, the difference is that our defenses always sucked and nobody seemed to care about his individual performance. Even in '05 when were a play off team, he played pretty well for a really a bad defense.

At the time that he left, he was coming off a low sack season in which it felt like we needed to blow up the defense and restart anyways so it didn't seem like much of a loss. However, looking back now - I wish we had someone as consistent as Smith on our d-line (or entire defense for that matter).

FlyingElvis
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
good call...

lol

also . . . suck it

holt_bruce81
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm going with Justin Smith just cuz I'm a homer and he's a Missouri Tiger.

God color me jealous, 49ers have two stud former Missouri Defensive Ends.