PDA

View Full Version : Eras

Denver Bronco56
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
It got me thinking the other day when people are considering Cam Newton the best rookie qb ever or Aaron Rodgers is already being compared to some of the best..

But when taking in account all the rule changes and how the NFL has protected the QB's it really seems that even a rookie in Newton was able to put up better stats than Elway, Aikmen, Favre, and Marino(minus a couple CRAZY years)

Really saying a player that plays in an era that promotes passing and discourages running is GREAT because of his inflated stats is HILARIOUS

I just think saying Rodgers is already one of the best ever is hilarious... he plays in an era where he SHOULD have better stats than QB's of even 10 years ago... he hasnt won an MVP(yet) and has one SB win... is he good YEAH, is he elite YEAH... but not in the conversation of best ever

TimmG6376
01-10-2012, 04:37 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231409/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Denver Bronco56
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Dont get me wrong someone like brees or brady or manning have done in for YEARS but still its an era where passing in aided by the rules so there numbers are inflated...

Denver Bronco56
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231409/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

haha i get that its being discussed but i was just reading how people are already saying rodgers is better than favre... and that to me is ridiculous

Mufasa
01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
haha i get that its being discussed but i was just reading how people are already saying rodgers is better than favre... and that to me is ridiculous

Aaron Rodgers had a better year this year than Favre ever did. Rodgers is the better QB. Favre (this far) has the more accomplished career.

SuperPacker
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Thats why we dont compare players from different eras. Know one will ever know how well Rodgers would of done 30 years ago so why are we talking about it?

Denver Bronco56
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Aaron Rodgers had a better year this year than Favre ever did. Rodgers is the better QB. Favre (this far) has the more accomplished career.

Again this is my point his year is GREATLY AIDED by the era he is playing in.... So how is he the better QB is the offense is given every advantage?

PackerLegend
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Exactly 100% on the head...

Mufasa
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Again this is my point his year is GREATLY AIDED by the era he is playing in.... So how is he the better QB is the offense is given every advantage?

First of all they played in basically the same era. I mean they were playing at the same time for ***** sake. Sure it was a little different in the 90s than today, but it's not like you're comparing someone from the 60s. And I'm not talking statistically anyway, so your argument is invalid. I have seen a ton of Favre, and a a lot of Rodgers. The season that Rodgers just had surpassed any season Favre did. Talent wise, Rodgers is better than Favre.

TimmG6376
01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Because even in Favre's best years we were always waiting for those head-scratcher throws that often resulted in INTs. He was a gunslinger that sometimes trusted his arm strength a little too much. Can't take anything away from what he accomplished but at this point Rodgers is a much more efficient QB.

PackerLegend
01-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Sure the times have changed but its not like Favre played 40 years ago. He was basically in the same era just when his time had passed.

Anyways your making it sound like any suck ass QB can be amazing in this day and age. Lets be real theres still alot more terrible/average QBs then good/elite QBs by far.

descendency
01-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Caining a lying camel?

SuperPacker
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM

This is an idiotic thread. Why did you make this thread? If it was to show that you cant compare players from different eras then you shouldnt say Favre is better and if its to say all players from the older era are better because it was harder then this is also a stupid thread.

mqtirishfan
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM

The era didn't make Favre throw all those interceptions.

Rosebud
01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

We all hate shoulda-retired-already Favre. But prime Brett Favre was amazing, there's a reason he won so many MVPs and his durability is a serious boon to his resume. Rodgers is playing much better than Favre has in the past decade, but in the late 90s Favre was doing things that set him apart from his peers in a way that Rodgers just hasn't accomplished...yet...

Saints-Tigers
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe sometimes we glorify some of the greats a little too much. Maybe Elway and Aikman just aren't as good as legend would have you believe?

I like to even compare guys to their peers, what exactly was Elway doing to separate himself from his own contemporaries?

Edit: What I'm saying is, even compared to other recent successes of young QB, Cam's season was DAMN remarkable. He was nearing 5000 total yards with 35 total touchdowns as a "raw" rookie. He's just a generational talent, and the fact that Bradford, Ryan and Andy Dalton have looked like decent game managers as rookies doesn't detract from the fact that he was a game changer.

TimmG6376
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Caining a lying camel?

Is this better?

http://th8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/jogiba/GIF/th_beatdeadhorse5.gif

DraftSavant
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Maybe sometimes we glorify some of the greats a little too much. Maybe Elway and Aikman just aren't as good as legend would have you believe?

I like to even compare guys to their peers, what exactly was Elway doing to separate himself from his own contemporaries?

Dragging some really, really "meh" Dan Reeves-coached teams to Superbowls.

Rosebud
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Carrying teams that had no business playing in the superbowl to that game? Then capturing two titles when he did have SB caliber teams around him? Not to say I think Elways is so great that Rodgers can never surpass him, but he hasn't yet and will need to maintain his play of the past season and a half for another 5 years. Rodgers putting up superior numbers this season to Elways doesn't change that to me when we see...what was it 4, 5 guys break 5000 yards...and a Rookie breaking 4000. Rodgers is undoubtedly one of the 3 best QBs playing the game right now, but he still needs to maintain this level of play for some time yet and snag another ring or two.

Saints-Tigers
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Carrying teams that had no business playing in the superbowl to that game? Then capturing two titles when he did have SB caliber teams around him? Not to say I think Elways is so great that Rodgers can never surpass him, but he hasn't yet and will need to maintain his play of the past season and a half for another 5 years. Rodgers putting up superior numbers this season to Elways doesn't change that to me when we see...what was it 4, 5 guys break 5000 yards...and a Rookie breaking 4000. Rodgers is undoubtedly one of the 3 best QBs playing the game right now, but he still needs to maintain this level of play for some time yet and snag another ring or two.

I always felt like Elway got too much credit for his team's success, and for "come backs". His team was good enough to be in games where he could "come back" even though his play was never stellar in comparison to his contemporaries. More like top 5 in his era type of play, than top 5 all time... I know Elway is this sacred prospect that can never be knocked it seems though.

robert pancake gallery
01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
ERA is a decent stat but i prefer FIP as a better predictor of future performance

PoopSandwich
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
ERA is a decent stat but i prefer FIP as a better predictor of future performance

I'm huge on WHIP to be honest.

mqtirishfan
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM

For future performance you should be using xFIP. C'mon, son.

Saints-Tigers
01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Elway has never stuck out like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or even like a late 90's Favre in terms of individual play. It was always his "comebacks" that built his legacy, or the idea that his team was so bad that he shouldn't be in the games (the Tebow defense).

Oh yea, I always forget that numbers don't mean anything for certain players.

Edit: So what are you saying that I'm forgetting, that Elway was dominating his era?

Double edit: And I mean in a way that stands out far ahead of his peers like other guys have done in EVERY era.

Bengalsrocket
01-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Elway is just one of those guys that numbers are never going to tell his story. If you ever watched him play, you would think of him in the same way you think of Manning or Brady.

Saints-Tigers
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
He was just too much of a gunslinger for my taste. Not that he wasn't elite, but I liked Young and Marino better at their best.

Is that 100% unfair?

Montana
Young
Marino
Manning
Brady
Brees
Favre?

I think they all peaked higher, and I think you can say that Aaron Rodgers last two seasons are better than any two Elway put together. That's of the guys I watched.

I don't feel like I'm underrating him, I just feel like he's not a lock top 5 etc.

Denver Bronco56
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
what everyone has said is true Elway played on arguably some of the WORST superbowl teams and he was the ONLY reason they were there...

I think stats are sometime VERY overrated... i mean watch brady pre-moss he never put up CRAZY stats but that is also before the ty law rules were in effect, but he was still an elite QB...

i think people place WAY to much on stats rather than impact of the QB...

my point is If the NFL stopped right now... Favre would hands down be the better QB in history than rodgers... rodgers needs to play another 5 good years before we anoint him one of the best ever...

That would be like saying that Patrick Willis or Calvin Johnson are some of the best ever because they have had a couple GREAT years...