PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars hire Mularkey as head coach

CJSchneider
01-10-2012, 10:55 PM
My biggest question is how does this impact Gabbert?

49erNation85
01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
They Probably find a vet in FA. I'm sure they can find a better QB in the FA field. So many descent better QB will be out there ...

Da-Phins
01-10-2012, 11:18 PM
HAHA thank you Jags for saving the Dolphins on possibly hiring this guy.

Pat Sims 90
01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
My biggest question is how does this impact Gabbert?

It puts Matt Barkley in a Jaguars Jersey next year.

CJSchneider
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
It puts Matt Barkley in a Jaguars Jersey next year.

Hasn't he decided not to declare already?

Pat Sims 90
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Hasn't he decided not to declare already?

Talking about the draft after this one. Would not be surprised at all if they end up with #1 overall.

descendency
01-10-2012, 11:46 PM
So they hired a guy who tried (and failed miserably) to throw the ball and ignore a good RB...

So they can have Gabbert throw the ball and ignore MJD? #1 overall, here Jacksonvil... LA comes.

Bulldogs
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
So they hired a guy who tried (and failed miserably) to throw the ball and ignore a good RB...

So they can have Gabbert throw the ball and ignore MJD? #1 overall, here Jacksonvil... LA comes.

MJD will get the ball a ton. Mularkey loves to run the football. He sort of stopped here though when Michael Turner decided to suck.

A Perfect Score
01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Dear lord...Mularkey and Gabbert working together to eliminate every last ounce of joy we poor, downtrodden sons of bitches can glean from an NFL game.

Never again will the NFL know excitement. It is the end of days!

Saints-Tigers
01-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Honestly APS, it sounds like must see TV to me. If he really goes with Gabbert, the hilarity that will follow will be something we haven't seen before!

descendency
01-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I just want to see a gabbert versus clausen (prime time) game.

Rob S
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
The next coach of the Jags was ****** anyway with Gabbert for a year; couldn't have happened to a better guy than Mike Mularkey. This team will be absolutely atrocious next year and probably my leading contender for the #1 pick.

Ness
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Interesting hire. I'm curious to see how he deals with Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully for Jaguars fans, this won't resemble his tenure as Buffalo's head coach.

wogitalia
01-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Jacksonville should be interesting on offense, that's for sure.

At least they went with a guy that will just try and run MJD into the ground(which is about their only chance at mediocrity.

Ness
01-11-2012, 02:34 AM
I would have taken a good look at Rick Dennison, offensive coordinator for the Texans. He comes from the same mold as Kubiak and Shanahan and that offensive zone blocking scheme I'm guessing. Personally, that's my favorite type of offense in the league and it's nice to see it revived in Houston after a few years hiatus. In any case, I think Dennison would have been nice. He also doesn't have the baggage of a failed head coaching stint.

TonyGfortheTD
01-11-2012, 02:51 AM
lmao

I think Jacksonville would of been smarter to just run without a Head Coach for 2012 and try it again the following year.

FUNBUNCHER
01-11-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm more interested to see who the OC and QB coach will be.
If Mularky's number 1 goal the next two seasons isn't to develop Gabbert, he's a piss poor HC.

Gabby looked like crap as a rookie, but he wasn't Jimmy Clausen bad. You still see if the guy can be developed.
Besides being antsy in the pocket, I think Blaine was making a huge adjustment to reading NFL defenses.
The game is still way too fast for him IMO, and add on top of that the difficulty in diagnosing coverages and you end up with a subpar rookie campaign.

I think more comfort with the offense and better WRs will take some of the ***** out of Gabby's game.

I think guys are in for a rude awakening if they think Matt Barkley is going to shred the NFL the minute he takes his first snap.

Tools wise he's Andy Dalton IMO with better pub.

The Alex
01-11-2012, 03:12 AM
I remember buddies of mine giving me a tough time when the Titans picked Locker instead of Gabbert during the draft. They never mentioned it again after about week 7 this year.

Flyboy
01-11-2012, 05:48 AM

My thoughts exactly. I've seen a lot of Mularkey playcalling being that the Saints play the Falcons twice a year... I just don't see it if we are strictly based off of his track record as a OC.

the_dark_knight
01-11-2012, 08:07 AM
The thing that Mularkey did was get a young QB primed and ready for success, his problem wasn't developing Matt Ryan, it was that he never kept developing him. He's now an anchor for Matt Ryan and the offense holding the entire team back. He can be just fine in J-ville and help Gabbert get going.

Not to mention he's not going to be the OC there, he's going to hire one, so he won't be calling the plays. He could be fine in the HC chair possibly too.

I am super glad he's gone, but I'm not hoping for failure in J-ville.

jrdrylie
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
This hiring is not going over very well in Jacksonville. With a new owner in town, most were expecting a splashy hire. Instead, they get Mularkey.

Grizzlegom
01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Mularkey did make Kordell Stewart look like an NFL QB once upon a time...

murdamal86
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Wasn't like we had big names lining up to coach us.

who the team to decide to go to as OC and DC is more important to me

DraftSavant
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Wasn't like we had big names lining up to coach us.

who the team to decide to go to as OC and DC is more important to me

Sounds like he's hiring Clements, his OC in Buffalo, and that Mel Tucker is staying on as DC.

-______-

Also, Mike Mularkey was the runnerup to Jack Del Rio for the Jaguars job in 2003. They just hired the guy who couldn't beat out the coach they just fired last time they held a ******* interview.

This team is seriously dysfunctional.

Dallas357
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Talking about the draft after this one. Would not be surprised at all if they end up with #1 overall.

hahahaha no

they've never picked higher than 7 ever.

still the dumbest hire in the history of professional sports in the world of the history of the universe. stupid as hell.

Vox Populi
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I really wouldn't be surprised or disappointed with this hire. This is the least desirable head coaching spot in the entire league even among teams that don't currently have head coaching vacancies. Any good coach was going to recognize the lack of power they'd have there with Smith as GM and the investments that he's made in the team recently through the draft (a ****** QB, posluszny, MJD and a bunch of okay linemen is about all they have that a coach can count on to possibly be around for more than a couple years). This is Smith's team, not Mularkey's, and Mularkey's success will have more to do with the players that Smith can give him than Mularkey's ability to coach the team.

This team won't be succesful unless Smith can significantly increase the talent on the roster. If he can't do that the Jags are going to be rebuilding completely in a couple years when both Smith and Mularkey get fired. The only other possibility for this team becoming succesful that I can think of is if Mularkey can actually make something out of Gabbert and potentially take advantage of the Colts and Titans looking like they could both be "average" (being generous here for the Colts because of the uncertainty at QB) teams for at least the next couple years.

Complex
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Sounds like he's hiring Clements, his OC in Buffalo, and that Mel Tucker is staying on as DC.

-______-

Also, Mike Mularkey was the runnerup to Jack Del Rio for the Jaguars job in 2003. They just hired the guy who couldn't beat out the coach they just fired last time they held a ******* interview.

Clement is a good QB coach if its the packers one but IDK if he perform miracles. He did it once with Tommy Maddox but will see.

prock
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
hahahaha no

they've never picked higher than 7 ever.

still the dumbest hire in the history of professional sports in the world of the history of the universe. stupid as hell.

So the fact that they never have picked higher than 7 means there is no chance they pick higher than 7 next year? Good logic.

49ersfan_87
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM

-______-

Thats not always the worst thing in the world. Mike Nolan beat out Jim Schwartz for the 49ers HC job in 2005, but one is clearly the better HC. If the 49ers hired Schwartz back in 09 it would have been a good move (not as good as Harbaugh IMO but i digress)

WCH
01-11-2012, 12:10 PM

This brings up an interesting question. Pretend you're Tom Clements. You have two offers to become an OC, from the Raiders and Jaguars, respectively. You've worked with people in both organizations and know them very well. At one gig, you get Blaine Gabbert; at the other you get the three-headed monster of Campbell/Palmer/Pryor. Which offer is more/less appealing?

Complex
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Raiders they can bring in a QB if they don't like any of them.

The Jags are set on Gabbert.

nepg
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Mularkey was a HC candidate?!

PackerLegend
01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
That impressive performance Sunday by the Falcons must have been what sealed the deal

jrdrylie
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Raiders they can bring in a QB if they don't like any of them.

You don't think the Raiders are pretty much set with Carson Palmer? They just gave up a first and second round pick to get him. The Raiders are just as stuck, if not more stuck, with Palmer.

TimmG6376
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
This brings up an interesting question. Pretend you're Tom Clements. You have two offers to become an OC, from the Raiders and Jaguars, respectively. You've worked with people in both organizations and know them very well. At one gig, you get Blaine Gabbert; at the other you get the three-headed monster of Campbell/Palmer/Pryor. Which offer is more/less appealing?

I'd say the Raiders. The three-headed monster isn't all that appealing itself, but there are a lot more weapons to work with overall on the Raiders. And Clements has worked with reclamation projects before at QB with some success.

Dallas357
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
So the fact that they never have picked higher than 7 means there is no chance they pick higher than 7 next year? Good logic.

next year they'll be better than this year at every position, and that was 5 wins. I'm not seeing 1st overall pick with a top 5 defense they have

K Train
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
oh yeah former steeler.

while i hated gabbert as anything but a second round prospect, and while i thought he was a terrible pick in the top 10, and while he played awful this last year....he really was throwing to nobodies (tiny ones at that) so i dont think its time to write him off completely. hes still so young

crazy how i go from despising him as a prospect to feeling bad for him as a player lol

DraftSavant
01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Mularkey said he did extensive film study on Gabbert and concluded the lockout slowed his development.

Already toeing the Gene Smith company line.

BTW, Mularkey's son has been a scouting assistant for the Jaguars the last few years.

descendency
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM

You'd think Jimmy Clausen would have gotten more of a chance in Carolina given how bad the rest of the team was, but both Gabbert and him were bottom of the league in almost every passing statistic.

We saw how that worked out for Clausen. The only thing going to save Gabbert might be a paper thin QB class.

descendency
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Mularkey said he did extensive film study on Gabbert and concluded the lockout slowed his development.

Already toeing the Gene Smith company line.

BTW, Mularkey's son has been a scouting assistant for the Jaguars the last few years.

It would be stupid to throw your young QB under the bus.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM

The lock out gave him more time to think about all the scary pass rushers that could potentially hurt him.

RagingColt
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
That impressive performance Sunday by the Falcons must have been what sealed the deal

We have a winner.

Think this hinders the Jags for anther couple of years. I feel for MJD, he's the best RB in the division and has been since '06. CJ's two great years don't cover for the down ones.

Rodgrsh8scancrpatients
01-15-2012, 10:44 PM
good god that was an awful hire... mularky was a joke in pittsburgh and i was so happy to see him go... that "great" offense of his scored a whole 2 pts vs the "great" giants defense loooooooooooooolll