PDA

View Full Version : Eagles 2012 Off-Season/Draft Thread

SickwithIt1010
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Write down your ideas or post any information regarding the Eagles off-season here.

So this is going to be an off-season in which we aren't rebuilding but we need to make moves that are going to help the talent on this team produce and live up to their potential. There is no reason that this team shouldnt have won the NFC East and be in the playoffs right now. I think next year we will benefit greatly from a full training camp and a 2nd year playing together will do wonders.

Coaching Change First thing on my wishlist and I'm sure everyone else is hoping for it too is to hire Spags as our defensive coordinator. I think he may be the best DC in the game, and would do wonders for our D. I like Castillo as a coach and he is very close to Andy so I would be all for assigning him to a position coach somewhere else, he was rushed into the DC job and he needs to focus on something else, rather than the defense as a whole. Spags with the toys we have would be awesome, he has worked with great defensive linemen in NY and with guys like Babin, Cole, and Graham I feel he would be happy as could be. Im happy as can be with the offensive staff, Reid and Wigs are an awesome combo.

Draft For the draft, obviously we all know and feel like we need to take a linebacker in the first round. If it were my choice it would be Kuechly and I wouldnt think twice about it. The guy is a tackling machine, and while he isnt a thumper and he isnt going to intimidate people he is going to get the job done. Our D line is going to go after the pass, enough said...they need a security blanket behind them. Kuech doesnt miss many tackles, and thats what we need. I wouldnt be opposed to Burfict but I feel Kuechly is a much better/safer pick.

We know that Reid doesnt like drafting LB's early so I wouldnt be surprised to see him address the DT spot or somewhere on the O Line. My 2nd choice if not Kuechly would be hoping that David DeCastro fell into our laps. I think this guy is the real deal, and is more of a sure thing than Andrew Luck to be honest. The guy is a great pass protector and just an absolute mauler in the run game.

Idk why but I feel like Desean is coming back, I know I shouldnt feel that way with all the signs and this past season, but he seems to be an eagle and I feel he will always be one. I dont like the idea of people giving us WR's in the first round, I just dont think we are going to need it. I wouldnt mind taking a bigger WR somewhere in the draft to give us a solid redzone threat. Guys like Tommy Streeter come to mind. Run cloggers in the middle and a guy like Robert Lester possibly in the 2nd have been on my mind as well. There are a couple areas I feel we HAVE to address.

Free Agency: The 2 guys I LOVE in FA are both linebackers so who knows if they are realistic. Manny Lawson and Thomas Howard, I expect Howard to go back to Cincy with the season he just had but one of them would be awesome. Lawson would be an awesome SAM...great in coverage, stout against the run, was a 3-4 backer in SF and knows how to rush the passer a little bit so would be good in blitz packages.

I wouldnt mind getting our hands on a bigger back, because our short yardage game is still horrid. I thought Brown would give us that this year, but he was terrible...Idk what type of runningbacks are on the market but might be something worth looking at.

Just my 2 cents...ill keep adding to this thread, hope to hear some ideas.

shylo3716
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I won't be surprised at all to see us take a guy like Floyd or Wright in the 1st & potentially banking on a guy like Hightower in the 2nd.

1 thing about it, year in and year out, we always have a sure-fire pick heading into the draft up until Day 1. Right now that "plan" is LB, but I think we sway to WR. Andy is the man of deception.

SickwithIt1010
01-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Holy ****, an Eagles fan is alive.

igglefanz
01-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Well we do exist! and there is even a few of us that are not SWDC trolls!

As the days pass it looks more and more like we are going to give the Castillo experiment another year. I don't like the format but I will admit they got better towards the end of the year. Here is the moves and draft I would like to see.

Round 1. Floyd. WR Simple I do not Kuchley anywhere near this team. If we are going to give the same defense a look this year with Juan we need to make the priority of the off season in getting and signing an EXPERIENCED MLB. Let Rolle, Matthews and when healthy Chaney fight for the other 2 spots. Even then could bring in an older vet or spend a 3rd or lower pick on another LB to push for that spot.

2a Alameda Tea'meu DT We need a big bruiser and space eater. I know it goes against the wide nine but Minnesota ran a similar formation with Pat Williams up untill last year. I know that we have Jenkins and Patterson but I think a rotation including him would bolster our run defense.

2b Fleener/Allen TE. I think this would really open things up not only for McCoy but for Celek too. As it is now a 2 TE set is getting to be used more and more by NFL teams and with what NE did its a monkey see monkey league. I really think Fleener can be a big difference for Vick giving him protection when needed but can be a second checkdown, bailout.

3. George Iloka S I love what he brings to the table. A big safety that can cover some of the TE's in the league . He has work to di is raw but can push for either starting spot against allen or Coleman/Jarett. I wouldnt mind taking a project LB here too someone with incredible upside but higher risk.

Offseason I would like first for us to pursue D'qwell Jackson. Although it sounds like the Browns want to keep him. Will have to see how that pans out. 2nd is EJ Henderson if he becomes available. I know he is older but will bring a valuable presence in the middle of the team which it is lacking. If he is to costly I would like to see them go after Tulloch instead.

A decent backup to Vick. Now i know this may get some flames but if Mcnabb is willing to come back as a backup and put in the effort I would welcome him back. He knows the system and be a nice way for him to finish out his career but I don't see it happening. But someone is needed for 2-3 games as Vick struggles to stay healthy and we need a solid backup.

Those are the big things I would like to see happen but hey any fan can dream huh?

Lord_Anubis
01-26-2012, 12:47 AM
no to mcnabb
get loften(=top 5 d with good lineback)/bowe(won't miss a beat)
trade desean for w/e after a franchise tag on him

SickwithIt1010
01-27-2012, 01:02 AM
no to mcnabb
get loften(=top 5 d with good lineback)/bowe(won't miss a beat)
trade desean for w/e after a franchise tag on him

Oh so we should sign the top LB and top WR on the market...

...if only it were that easy. This isn't madden my man, as much as I wish it was.

Lord_Anubis
01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Reid does play some Madden on FA. Look at last year lol. But this time he needs to see how bad we really need a stud LB for once. We have sucked at drafting LBs recently beside Chaney and picking up has-beens and coulda-beens ain't cutting it either.

I don't really see us getting Bowe, since I am guessing he will be tag. Maybe trade possible with Desean? Theres probably a chance for Stevie or Colston in FA, in which case I would like to take a chance on Stevie.

SickwithIt1010
01-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Colston is going to want big money, money that we arent going to be able to give him so that idea is out the window. I honestly think Desean will be back, even with how bad it looks right now.

apb540
01-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I think we need to get three new LB's. I'd love to see us grab two with our first three picks and grab another in FA. As far as wide receiver, I don't see us spending a high pick or a lot of money on one. Just too many other needs.

igglefanz
01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the boards apb but I am going to disagree with you on using high draft picks on replacing 2 starters at linebacker. 3 new starters all together is just asking for a mess. The team has glaring needs and even if they are great players they will still be a year behind what we have and either are high risk or not overly impressive.

You have to remember that we do not have a mastermind at DC and we need experience. Now I am not saying we don't push the other 2 spots and draft people that will push them but spending all those picks that early will NOT give the results we want. Also towards the end of the year I know Rolle and Matthews were playing alot better. Chaney is still up in the air as of his injury. I am comfortable in taking a high risk/high reward guy if they fall to us in the second but not a first.

Now Sick I am 50/50 on Desean chance of returning and if he does would you agree that in order to improve our red zone offense we need some help down there. The Eagles need to take one of the best tight ends available in the draft. My off season post earlier is if he leaves/sign and trade. I do not want them spending a first on a #3 receiver.

And on the subject of Desean by resigning him will that leave enough money for both Maclin and Shady who i find to be much more crucial to the team? I think that if we lock all 3 up in the next year or so will leave us with very little wiggle room.

apb540
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Igglefanz, I hear ya on the experience at LB. I'd love to add two starters via FA instead of the draft if possible but I'm not sure what our cap situation is going to look like. And as far as any LB we had on the team last year goes, they are all expandable imo. Mathews and Rolle might not be bad special teamers/back-ups but I don't want to see either starting. Same goes for Chaney and Fokou. I want to get some real talent in at the position, not the same junk we've been fed for years.
As far as DeSean, I totally agree on the franchise and trade idea. He is simply going to cost too much for the Eagles and I'd like another draft pick (second round maybe?) to help sure up some holes or use as ammo to trade up.

Lord_Anubis
01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
booo on the Chaney hate. Think you are underestimating him. But I agree with rest of your opinion on the other LBs. I hope for Loften so much. I miss the days of Trotter.

From what I read on Reid on Desean, we are probably going to keep him. I like his playmaking abilities, but prefer a true #1 WR. Maybe get Plaxcy Glass since he would be good for redzones since we keeping DJ.

And o yea, I hate this year's Superbowl. I want both teams to lose so bad. Pats cheating us at our chance at it and Giants, enough said.

SickwithIt1010
01-31-2012, 11:50 PM
I would be down to get a big tight end somewhere in the draft or take a chance on a guy like Plax to be a big physical slot guy. However, I think the Jets will probably bring him back. A guy that I really like in this draft is Tommy Streeter from Miami, big physical receiver who could give us something we are looking for.

igglefanz
02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Well for me its more of what can Chaney do after he recovers, He had vertebrae in his neck fused and that is by no means a minor thing and its an injury that may limit him or I do not want to say it end his career. From all reports he isn't suffering from any nerve damage. It is not on the same level that Manning is going through but still he may not be ready at the start of the season or even play this year.

As of the linebackers I think Ideal would be bring in a major free agent prefer middle LB but will take a great OLB. I would not give up on Matthews and Rolle yet but I would sign some veterans and/or draft a rookie/s 3rd round or lower to push them or start over them. We cannot afford to have 2-3 high priced linebackers with all the money we have everywhere else. And if healthy at training camp Put Chaney into the mix too. Would it be great to have high priced olb, a high priced mlb free agent and brown from NC? Yes but we were one of the worst red zone offenses in the league.

If we keep Jackson I do like the idea of the kid from Miami or one of the many big WR in the draft that would go 2-3rd round. Toon form Wisconsin, Jones UNC, Randle LSU Mcnutt Iowa (( my favorite early second day WR)) Hill GT and Posey OSU could be maybe had for maybe a 4th rnd. All are bigger more physical WR then what we have. But in that case I do not want us passing on either of the TE with our firsts in Allen or Fleener. The red zone offense just made me sick the last 2 years and NEEDS to be fixed more then the LB's. Vick needs bigger weapons in the red zone.

If Jackson stays I will be ok with us spending one of our 2 2nds on a LB but not a first. I will go on record saying this now Luke Kuchely is not ever going to be a pro bowl linebacker in the nfl. I do not like the pick and don't want him. If Brown or Taze is sitting there early mid second then I am ok with it if they fall.

apb540
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I agree with fixing up the red zone offense but I think a lot of it has to do with the play calling, more so than the personnel. I'd still love a big WR thou and McNutt would be cool with me.

SickwithIt1010
02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
You dont want Kuechly because he wont make Pro bowls? Pro bowls are nothing more than a god damn popularity contest, the guy has a nose for the ball and will make the tackle when he gets the chance, thats what we need.

igglefanz
02-02-2012, 04:18 AM
If I am picking in the top 20 of any draft I do expect to get what will turn into a top 8 player in the NFL at that position. A player that should be in pro bowl consideration or capable of making at least one in his career. Kuechly is no Ray Lewis, No Brian Urlacher, Hell he is no Sean Lee. He is going to not scare anyone why I am ok on Taze if he slips into the second but I do not want to see this fraud/stat compiler anywhere near the Eagles.

Look at his highlights its alot of him making tackles and getting carried a few yards. He is a good player on a bad team any of the other scrbs at BC gonna play in the NFL? He makes his living off being the only one with some talent on a bad team. That does not make him great do i need to remind everyone of how great Kevin Kolb was. Same story different position.

And what agitates me the most about him is that he lets the runner come to him alot of the times. He struggles to be the one that pursues. He is going to be in on alot of plays. I am not denying he is smart player but his lack of physical play is going to overrun him in the NFL. How many times a what should be 2nd and 8 now is 2nd and 4 are we as fans gonna tolerate? People like Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Brandon Jacobs, and Legarette Blount are going to make him a whipping boy for them. And don't even get me started on what some of the TE's will do to him. If you are unable to stand up and push back college players what makes you think that he will be able to do that to a NFl one?

We need a LB in the middle that scares people and Luke Kuechly is not that. If we want a smart LB that has good form but drags people to the ground and waits for the play to come to him then yes draft this joke. For all the plays he made he isn't even close to other LB's in making impact tackles for a loss. That to me is a warning sign but whatever. I know we need help at the LB spot but do not blindly put alot of stock into him.

apb540
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
In response to your point Igglefanz, would anyone be cool with trading back a few slots in the first and drafting Vontaze instead of Kuechly? I'm personally a big Vontaze fan but I'll admit the dude has some flaws in his game. Still, I'm willing to roll the dice and go with Taze over Luke. His upside is that high imo.

SickwithIt1010
02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
So we take Taze who will consistently over run plays and is a walking personal foul, with work ethic and off the field problems over a sure thing in Luke? hmmm...What good does having an intimidator in the middle do if he doesnt consistently make tackles?

I really wouldnt mind a guy like Brockers in the 1st either if he fell to us.

igglefanz
02-03-2012, 05:40 AM
I would only take Taze in a trade down IF he has a good showing at the combine and interviews well with the Eagles. As of right now he is worth a 3rd round with all the questions but that can change if he has a good showing. I do like Audie Cole NC state in the 2-4th round too.

I am a fan more of the Eagles getting a big boy ((Alameda or Poe))as of DT but more i think of it Brockers or Still both look like solid picks and would be happy with either one of them in the first. Also the kid from MSU Worthy and Thompson from Clemson are possibilities. Really Jenkins probably has 1-2 good seasons left in him and would give us incredible depth at the spot with Dixon.

I saw some people giving us an OT like the kid from FSU Saunders in the second or third and I am ok with that too. He needs a year or 2 to develop but could be a top level starter under the guidance of Mudd.

Free agency is going to be such a huge factor and what happens with Desean. I am 50 50 still, one person says he is staying and another says he is as good as gone . What happens to him will be huge on what the Eagles do.

SickwithIt1010
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I dont think we need to go for a tackle super early. Herremans and Peters played great...I'd be happier to go after a guard. If DeCastro fell to 14? I would be tempted to take him.

brat316
02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
What about backup/development qb?

big wr target would be nice.

igglefanz
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
As of backup yes but I do not want the Eagles sitting on a rookie and Kafka, The backup needs to be able to start 2-3 games and hold the fort over when Vick is hurt.

brat316
02-20-2012, 12:20 PM
As of backup yes but I do not want the Eagles sitting on a rookie and Kafka, The backup needs to be able to start 2-3 games and hold the fort over when Vick is hurt.

Kafka will lead the eagles to victory.

igglefanz
02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Kafka may but he may not. In a season the Eagles should at least be looking at the playoffs having an unproven person in Kafka and a rookie if Vick is down for an extended period is scary. It doesn't have to be a big name backup but someone that can step in if Kafka completely melts down and goes 0-3 as a starter with 1 td and 7 ints. I want someone else a veteran that can lead a team.

Lord_Anubis
02-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Step right up Trent Edwards

<Booooo

I would have preferred J. Campbell

SickwithIt1010
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
So do you still wanna draft Burfict knowing the guy is fat as **** and running 4.94's when Kuechly is running 4.5's and is a tackling machine? lol

igglefanz
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
The thing that has always bothered me about Luke is this, He doesn't stand people up. He drags people down by the hips and in the NFL people are going to run through him. He combine showing does nothing to change my mind about him. I still do not want him nothing has changed my mind on that.

Although now Yeah taze is only worth a 5th maybe 6th rounder as a roll of the dice he gets his crap together type. I said he had to impress and he didn't. Going into pre combine I had him as a third and he failed.

I still want a veteran MLB in the off season. I think Floyd is now gone top ten and probably Poe. With Jenkins reworking his contract I am not sure if DT is a huge need 1st round. There is so much in the air about Desean and Asante so I really am not sure where the eagles will look first or where they should. We may by the time everything is said and done have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. (( thinking high second for Desean and a low second early third for Asante as that seems to be the buzz at the moment. May get more for Desean if we get a few teams in a biding war))

brat316
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I still believe Eagles will pick a two gap DT first before taking a LB. The wide 9 will work if they have the right people. Don't be surprised if the Eagles take Poe.

The Lions run the wide 9, but have big DT that require a double team. If the eagles have someone that can do that, then you have your Lbs free to make plays. A good MLB is still a need, but the big boy that comes in front of him is much more crucial.

brat316
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Campbell might be a good sign, I forgot he is a FA.

igglefanz
02-28-2012, 10:16 PM
I still believe Eagles will pick a two gap DT first before taking a LB. The wide 9 will work if they have the right people. Don't be surprised if the Eagles take Poe.

The Lions run the wide 9, but have big DT that require a double team. If the eagles have someone that can do that, then you have your Lbs free to make plays. A good MLB is still a need, but the big boy that comes in front of him is much more crucial.

Oh if Poe falls to us and we take him I would go nuts in a good way. Back when it was the Ngata and Bunkly draft I was hoping and praying that the Eagles would trade up two spots jump Baltimore and take Ngata. We have enough experience with Jenkins and Patterson that we can give him a year to learn and bring him in slow. Do I think he is he next Ngata I don't know but the possibility is there.

Right now Poe and Floyd are my dream picks at the 16 spot and would be happy if we trade up for either. I think Jackson is as good as gone.

igglefanz
02-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Soo on another note what does everyone think of Plax and his desire to come to Philly. I love the idea gives us a big red zone target.

brat316
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Psshh, over the hill. His game was speed, and body. Now its all body, he can't separate from the Cb unless that ball is thrown in that precise area where he is long enough to reach for it. I guess the only reason he would want to play for Vick is so when the play breaks down he can be there for the jump ball?

eaglesalltheway
03-06-2012, 08:44 AM
If the Eagles are interested in a guy like Plax (which we can assume they're not with DeSean being Franchised), why not go after a guy like Vincent Jackson, instead? Similar type of player, I'd say even better right now, has better speed than Plax does at this point, while still having the height/leaping ability. More valuable all around the field than Plax is. That being said, I don't think the Eagles will be going after any big FA WRs.

SickwithIt1010
03-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I think Plax would be a great fit personally. D Jax and Maclin are far from good red zone threats and Plax would be a good option in the slot and give us a 2nd reliable target with Celek inside the 25.

With that being said, reading rumors saying the eagles are targeting Dan Connor as a free agent...would lovvvvvvvvvve it.

PhillyBirds25
03-07-2012, 04:10 AM
We need to target a FA MLB: Stephen Tulloch, Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne. Djax should be traded for being a punk and dogging it all year, I take his replacement Stephen Hill in the 1st. Then Brandon Thompson and Mychal Kendricks in the 2nd.

igglefanz
03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Either way if we keep Desean or trade him I agree with sick. He would address what we need a big red zone threat.

I think we can get Dan much cheaper then Tullloch and much more so then Lofton. Both look like they will probably hit FA unless something changes as neither got tagged. I know we are pushing the limits of what we can spend with some big contracts coming up. I know that Connor is a bit green but has the ability. But is Lofton worth spending that much more on with everything else?

Just going to say this much, next week is gonna be interesting.

SickwithIt1010
03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
With the wide 9 scheme the guys we put in front of the linebackers are so much more important. I like the idea of getting a serviceable guy like Connor who is going to make plays, Lofton would be too much of a risk because he is a huge contract and with guys like Shady and Maclin coming into contract years here soon we need to keep room for them. Connor would be cheaper so we sign him and then take a guy like Brockers/Still/Cox/ etc to put in front of them with guys like Patterson and Jenkins and we are looking pretty good.

I would even be down to take a flyer on a WLB like Zach Brown unless we can get him in the 2nd.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
With Free Agency approaching, what are you guys looking for right now? Isee the push for a MLB like Connor or Tulloch, but what I think is being overlooked here is Evan Mathis' contract is up (as is Winston Justice). I'm not a huge fan of his, he is solid, but could definitely be upgraded, with the FA crop of O-linemen out there. If the Saints keep dicking around with Brees, they will lose more than him, they could lose guys like Nicks and Colston, both which interest me. Nicks moreso that Colston, I think his style of play would work great in Philly, I've been a fan of his since he was drafted, and if he were to hit FA, he would be a great addition to the OL, and would basically fill the only hole in our O-line. He has the skillset to play either guard, as does Watkins, so it really wouldn't matter where you put them. With a FA addition like Nicks, our O-line is contending for tops in the league, and if you put him at LG, that is a top 3 LT/LG combo in the league, if not #1.

Either way, I'm interested to see what happens with him in NO, and regardless of that, I'm interested to see where the Eagles stand on Mathis, and whether or not they want him back, or are looking for a replacement, either in FA or the draft.

If the team is honest with its plans on bringing DeSean back, I don't see us going after any FA WRs, past smaller signings for depth and TC competition. Hell, even if he gets traded (which I don't think is as likely as some people seem to think) I don't think we go after a FA WR, unless Plax would really be willing to play for cheap.

At LB, it seems like there is lots of noise about the Eagles going after at least one of the FA MLBs. I'd like a guy like Connor, though he wouldn't really be all that much of an upgrade over Chaney. I do have a higher opinion of Chaney than most, however, even if I didn't, I doubt that'd change my opinion on this.

Really, I see the Eagles really only being players for LBs and maybe a guard, depending on what they do with Mathis. However, if DeSean, or Asante woud be traded (Asante moreso) that frees up more cap space, that I think they'd be able to sign an OL like Nicks (there's some other options out there, but he's my favorite one right now) as well as a MLB, and maybe even a WR.

As it stands, I don't see the Eagles signing any more than two "big" names in FA, those being some sort of variation of a LB/OL/WR.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Ideally, for me, the Eagles offseason would look something like

Sign:
Carl Nicks
Vincent Jackson/Marques Colston
Dan Connor/Stephen Tulloch

Trade DeSean for something like a 2nd and a fifth
Keep Asante, he's still playing at a high level, despite age.

If someone would offer up something crazy in terms of value for Asante, I say go for it, but otherwise keep him.

Then draft a guy like Poe or Kirkpatrick in the first (probably have to move up for Poe) and then CB/DT in the second, depending on which one was drafted.

But then again, that's an ideal one, and they never go this way, but they're fun to think about.

SickwithIt1010
03-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Ideally, for me, the Eagles offseason would look something like

Sign:
Carl Nicks
Vincent Jackson/Marques Colston
Dan Connor/Stephen Tulloch

Trade DeSean for something like a 2nd and a fifth
Keep Asante, he's still playing at a high level, despite age.

If someone would offer up something crazy in terms of value for Asante, I say go for it, but otherwise keep him.

Then draft a guy like Poe or Kirkpatrick in the first (probably have to move up for Poe) and then CB/DT in the second, depending on which one was drafted.

But then again, that's an ideal one, and they never go this way, but they're fun to think about.

Very "madden" like.

We only take Kirkpatrick if Asante is out. Makes no sense otherwise, Poe is a workout warrior and nothing else. His film does nothing and a lack of production in the C-USA is alarming. I would love Nicks, but to get a guy like Nicks AND V-Jax or Colston would be very tough especially with Shady and Maclin coming into contract years.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Very "madden" like.

We only take Kirkpatrick if Asante is out. Makes no sense otherwise, Poe is a workout warrior and nothing else. His film does nothing and a lack of production in the C-USA is alarming. I would love Nicks, but to get a guy like Nicks AND V-Jax or Colston would be very tough especially with Shady and Maclin coming into contract years.

Definitely Madden like, lol, that's why its ideal, lol. Definitely agree about Kirkpatrick, I should have prefaced it with "only if Asante is traded". My post before that is a more accurate depiction of what I think might happen. Get one or two of the combiniation of Nicks/Connor/Tulloch/V. Jackson/Colston/Plax (once again, WRs only a possibility if DeSean is traded) and save the rest of the cap for the draft picks and the upcoming ending contracts of DeSean/Maclin/Shady. We have something like 18-19 mil in cap space, and I'd imagine if one or two of them were signed we'd have 8 mil or so left on this year's cap. Now that's not enough for signing all three of our young guys, but with rumors of the cap going up most likely being true, I see at least two of those three being back and signed to longer contracts.

igglefanz
03-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Well one thing is IF we get Asante off the books we will get over 10 million in cap space. He is 10.5 this year and 12.5 next year. If we do keep him we need to restructure his contract. I forgot Maclin was on a 5 year so his doesn't come up till a year after Shady's. Also I am content with Namdi, DRC Marsh Hanson and Lindly as CB's Maybe look at one 3rd or later but I wouldnt take a premium pick on one.

Here is my dream offseason

Resign Mathis
Sign Tulloch via FA the more i think about it the more it makes sense. Lofton is a better 2 down player but he saves us some money and a better 3rd down option.
Sign Plax for 3rd down and red zone production.

Trade Desean for a early 2nd I would just say for sake of making this make sense getting the early 2nd from CLE.

Draft Floyd in the first
Draft the best DT still on the board first 2nd
Draft Fleener/Allen with the 2nd 2nd
Draft Audie Cole/Bobby Wagner 3rd 2nd round pick
Draft George Iolka 3rd round

We have alot of room with what we will be loosing as of big back loaded contracts coming up.

apb540
03-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Well the DeSean signing means we have to be going LB or DT first round right? Assuming we resign Mathis.

brat316
03-14-2012, 10:25 PM
or Guard or S or T.

igglefanz
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah I though Jackson was as good as gone, I would like to see if they bring in anyone or are we just gonna stay with what we have and try to add during the draft. I know the price on MLB's are going down as Tampa shunned the Lofton asking price which does help us some.

Also sounds like we are trying to wrap up shady long term too.

SickwithIt1010
03-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah I though Jackson was as good as gone, I would like to see if they bring in anyone or are we just gonna stay with what we have and try to add during the draft. I know the price on MLB's are going down as Tampa shunned the Lofton asking price which does help us some.

Also sounds like we are trying to wrap up shady long term too.

As well we should. Hopefully this doesnt mean that we will not be able to resign Maclin.

I really dont feel the need to give a bunch of money to Lofton, I'd be happy with Dan Connor and then making some type of play to get Zach Brown to play the Will.

igglefanz
03-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Sick you do know that Maclin has 2 years left right not just one? I mean we should pay the man but its not like we have to even franchise him at the end of next season

SickwithIt1010
03-14-2012, 11:39 PM
I know that, but still...there is going to be a number of players with big deals by the time we have to pay Maclin.

Aso
Vick
Shady
Maclin
Jenkins
DRC
Cole
Babin

brat316
03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Vicks not going to be here.

Mac will be signed this year, mid season.
Shady will get done mid season.

Jenkins is out
DRC who knows verdict is still out
Cole same as DRC

Babin won't be around for another contract.

Usually players they like they give them mid year deals. But if the Eagles don't go deep playoffs like NFCC game I think we have seen the last of Andy.

igglefanz
03-15-2012, 02:08 AM
I think the shady deal gets done this year but Maclin will not be one that gets done this year with 2 years left they are going to wait on it. We are sitting well enough off that we can go out and sped on at least 1 free agent as of a linebacker or guard. Now we know that Nicks is off the board Mathis is still out there but appears to be shopping.

I also think that we resigned the one guard Mike Gibson to add depth in case we need to draft a guard early.

There is also alot of rumors about the enigma that is Laron Landry and the Eagles are one of the top 4 in the mix. I am just not sure how healthy he is and he is very injury prone.

I really dont want to say it but it makes total sense if Decastro is there at 15 and we dont get Mathis back he will look very good in Midnight Green. Imagine the damage he and Peters would do side by side.

apb540
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
^As boring as O-Line is in back-to-back years, your are totally right.

SickwithIt1010
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh ive been saying it for a while now that if Luke or one of the top DT's are not there I would be all for DeCastro. He would be a great pick for us.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Add me to the list of Eagles fans that'd be happy with DeCastro if we can't get Mathis back, and LUUUUUUUUUUKE is off the board.

brat316
03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Add me to the list of Eagles fans that'd be happy with DeCastro if we can't get Mathis back, and LUUUUUUUUUUKE is off the board.

why who did they sign?

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
No one that I've heard of yet, I have heard that the Eagles are still in the running for Lofton, but I don't buy it based on who its coming from. Basically with how FA has panned out, I'd be happy with any of these guys if the Eagles stay right around pick 15... Keuchly, Poe, DeCastro (if Mathis isn't back), or even Cox.

If the Eagles trade Asante, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a CB in the first round honestly, either trading down from pick 15 ( or using the pick we'd get from Asante to move up) depending on the situation and getting a guy like Stephon Gilmore, who I think will be a great NFL CB, and is the perfect fit in the Eagles defense. He does anything he is asked to do in terms of coverage and run defense. He has good athleticism (not quite what his 40 time indicates, truthfully) and is a very smart player. I like him a lot, and if Asante is indeed traded, I would like him a lot, even more than Kirkpatrick, who I think is a great great CB prospect.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Also, don't rule out the Eagles drafting a QB relatively early. Vick isn't young and it would be a very "Eagles" thing to do to bring a QB in to further push him. Do I think its less likely since the eagles QB depth chart is already full? Yes, but I can see situations where, though picking a QB would be surprising, I could see the justification for it.

There are a few guys that are going to go in the later half of the first round that I really like, and would be good value, whether the Eagles trade up from the second, or lose out on a guy at 15 and trade down, there are quite a few guys I expect to be available from picks 20-35 that I wouldn't mind if the Eagles picked at all.

Cordy Glenn is one of them, and I know most of you will say he doesn't fit with the new "template" the Eagles look for in their offensive linemen, and to an extent, I agree, but let em just say this... He is big, but watch the guy play, he is quick and athletic for a guy his size. Almost reminds me of Jason Peters in that you wouldn't expect a guy that big to be able to do what he does. This is not to say I see him like I do Peters, he doesn't have quite that athleticism, but it'd be more than enough for him to fit in as a Guard here. He's not a perfect fit, but he is a guy that would fit well enough to be a smart pick in the later part of the first round.

I already mentioned Gilmore in that other post (its what got me started on this one, but he is another guy I think qualifies here) Honestly, if Luke, Poe, DeCastro, and Cox are gone and the Eagles can't find a trade partner (assuming Asante is traded, that is), I wouldn't even really mind getting Gilmore at 15.

I don't think Dre Kirkpatrick will last too far into the second half of the first round, but if he does, I wouldn't mind if the Eagles picked him up after trading down. He's be more of Asante's role in the defense once he'd find the starting lineup, or could maybe even work as a hybrid CB/S not a huge fan of this idea, or his fit, the more I think about it. But he has the talent to work at either of those positions and if the Eagles could get a great package deal in a trade, I wouldn't mind drafting him at all.

I don't really foresee the Eagles spending a high draft pick on a safety this year, but if they do, it means they've given up on either Allen (I hope not, I really like him, shows flashes, but needs to stay healthy and consistent) or Jarrett. At this point, I can't say I think they have, but if they have, Mark Barron would be a nice addition in the second half of the first round. I'd expect him to be more of a SS and he would see the field almost right away. I like him a lot. I don't see him as a perennial Pro-Bowl type Safety, but a very, very good one who could make it a few times. Would be a great fit in the defense. I personally would love to have Barron here, I just doubt the Eagles would draft him after just drafting Jarrett so high last year.

Devon Still and Michael Brockers are also guys to consider, though idk if the Eagles would want to invest a top pick on one of the non-elite (IMO). not necessarily best scheme fit DTs. I do think both would work, but Still needs to work on consistency, and IDK if he has quite the anchor in him to be an NFL DT. He'd work great as a 3'4 DE, which is where I think he'll end up going, and I feel similarly about Brockers, though he has a better skill set to work as a DT.

igglefanz
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
I really think the Eagles will make one signing of a starter either at guard ((Mathis or someone Mudd thinks he can work with)), Linebacker (( all are pretty much still out there)) or Saftey . Its still up in the air at what will happen but we will see.

I really want us to sign a LB as everyone knows I am not sold on Luke I think he will struggle with some aspects of the NFL. He tackles alot but isn't physical and has short arms which are both things that scare me. I think he is much more suited to play SLB then a MLB he isnt the second coming of Brian Urlacher.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I really think the Eagles will make one signing of a starter either at guard ((Mathis or someone Mudd thinks he can work with)), Linebacker (( all are pretty much still out there)) or Saftey . Its still up in the air at what will happen but we will see.

I really want us to sign a LB as everyone knows I am not sold on Luke I think he will struggle with some aspects of the NFL. He tackles alot but isn't physical and has short arms which are both things that scare me. I think he is much more suited to play SLB then a MLB he isnt the second coming of Brian Urlacher.

I'm confused, you think he's not physical enough, but think he's a better fit at SAM? You do realize the SAM's primary responsibilities are stopping the run? SAMs are also called on to blitz , which is an area where he wasn't asked to do much at BC, and is relatively unproven. It'd work for coverage purposes, Luke would be able to cover most TEs in this league one on one when asked to be in coverage, but I really don't see why you don't like his fit at MIKE, but like it at SAM. He'd work there, but I'm confused as to the logic behind this.

And then you say he isn't a Brian Urlacher, implying Urlacher is a real physical LB... I love Urlacher, one of the best LBs in the game, but he isn't a physically imposing LB at all, He is a balanced LB who if anything is better in coverage than as a physically dominating run defender like you make him seem. If anything Urlacher is a pretty decent comaparison for Keuchly, neither are physically imposing, but both are smart, instinctual, fluid LBs who make plays all over the field. Keuchly isn't quite as good in coverage as Urlacher is, but its not necessarily a weak point either.

Most of the LBs that would fit with the Eagles are still available, but Tulloch and Lofton are more one-dimensional LBs than Keuchly projects to be. Lofton is a great downhill LB. plays great against the run and most plays in front of him, but is a liability in coverage. With the TE's the NFC East has, we need as many good coverage LBs as possible, and Lofton, though he would be a solid signing, and I can see the logic behind it, isn't a top tier LB like Keuchly could develop into. Tulloch is similar, though he is slightly better in coverage than Lofton. The rest of the FA LBs aren't really a good fit, IMO for what the Eagles defense will be asking of their MIKE.

The Eagles have already signed back Mike Gibson as some measure of insurance if Mathis isn't back. Though, if he does leave, I expect an early pick to be invested on a OG, DeCastro, Glenn, or Zeitler would all be adequate fits, depending on the situation. As for Safety, the Eagles have invested a lot in their young players there, I'm not sure if we'll see much more in the way of additions there, especially on a veteran older guy who would hinder their development. If a Safety is brought in to replace either of our young Safeties, i expect it to be a younger prospect.

igglefanz
03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
In the eagles defense the WLB is the more blitz set spot. Why the Eagles tried Chaney as a SLB is because of his very good coverage skills. He wasnt put there at the start of the year because of his blitzing skills. He got moved back to the middle because of Matthews inability to play the MLB spot. I would rather have one good downhill run stuffer at MLB.

Why I was so high on Taze before he puked the season and went limp at the combine. With Luke watch the VT game in its full entirety and you will see what I am talking about how he stuggles to take down a NFL quality back. I am not sold on him I think he is going to be at best a decent coverage linebacker but not worth a 1st round pick. He has great measurable abilities is fast is smart but he isnt going to be great in the NFL.

Also the biggest thing that Luke gets killed on is the same thing Matthews gets killed on is getting off blocks. He takes great angles but if he gets a body on him he is done. Urlacher also is one of the best sack artists from the MLB spot ever. Urlacher also is one of the best at getting off blocks Luke struggles and why I just do not want him . I know that someone like Lofton/Tulloch is going to get burned in coverage but the Eagles need a physical presence in the middle.

Adding a finesse player that is great in coverage player isnt going to fix this team. Everyone is enamored with his tackle numbers but I have sat down and watched 8 BC college games from the last 2 years and I just cant stand what i see.

SickwithIt1010
03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the Eagles Demeco Ryans! Love this trade, gives us the option to go with the top DT/OL available in the first. The guy was one of the top 4-3 Mikes in the league before his injury and when he came back he just wasnt a great fit in Wade's system in Houston.

Give me DeCastro or Cox in the first....ill be a happy camper.

igglefanz
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Well I never even saw this coming. Paying 6million a year for him for the next three is much cheaper then paying Lofton or Tulloch the 9 million they wanted. And if he returns to form in a 4-3 we are getting the best player of the bunch!

And this probably takes us out of the running for Luke Oh happy days!!! Best DT on the board now for us in the first!

Lord_Anubis
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Saw the trade for D. Ryan and love it. I wanted him last year, but he resigned w/ Texans.

Finally have a LB since Trotter's last pro bowl year, which seems like a long time ago. This has been a great offseason and easily compares to last season imo. Hopefully McCoy extends soon and is like the other resigns/extensions we done so far.

I think we might want to consider looking at Barron even though we drafted back to back 2nd round safeties. Allen is ok, but not sold on our SS position.

eaglesalltheway
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Saw the trade last night and instantly thought we must have given up something like a second round pick (getting something back) for him. When I saw it was a swap of third and a fourth surrendered, I almost didn't believe it at first. Hopefully everything checks out health-wise and he can be the key cog in the center of our defense that we've been missing for a while. Seeing just how pissed off the rest of his defensive teammates are should speak to how good of a player and leader this guy is, and it makes me glad we have that leader type player who can back it up with his play. Sometimes I wonder how the Eagles get away with these trades...

I do see safety as a bigger possibility early now (hell, since our biggest need is addressed, it makes all of our other needs seem that much more prominent) and I am a fan of Barron, and would love to be able to have someone to compliment our secondary like him. I'm a fan of Nate Allen's, the guy is smart, rangy, and plays the run well for being billed as a cover safety. Those two would compliment eachother well, but I do think since we just drafted Jarrett to play SS in the second round last year, it makes the likelihood of us drafting another SS early that much more unlikely. I said it a few weeks ago, but this move also makes an early QB to develop behind Vick seem like a bigger possibility now as well.

The Eagles do this every year, they go into the draft having addressed almost (if not all) all of their needs, which makes them flexible with their drafting strategy, which truly allows the team to get the best players available that they want, and usually aren't ever pigeon-holed into drafting any one need at a certain spot.

brat316
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Chances of drafting OT, OG, DT go up now.

I don't doubt they might draft a safety, they need more ball hawks back there or rangy guys. Barron while good, would just be a better version of JJ, who probably is going to be a very good ST player and backup. Harrison Smith I think offers the best value of what the Eagles might be looking. At this point in the NFL, SS and FS are one in the same almost.

Then again giving Vick a target that is bigger than 6'2 would be a good choice as well.

eaglesalltheway
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't rule out CB either, especially if Asante is traded, or LB even (most likely not first two rounds anymore unless someone falls) as we could still use help to bolster the LB corp some, though it becomes much less severe of a need now. I agree about Barron, similar player to Jarrett, but better (unfortunately I feel like Jarrett may be a wasted pick), which is why I don't see it as the most likely choice, even though it might need to be.

cunningham06
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Late to the party, but I love the Demeco trade. We're bringing in one of the most instinctive LB's in the NFL. He's been my favorite Texan since he was drafted and I can't believe we got him so cheap.

This trade reminds me of when the Jets dealt Vilma because he wasn't a great fit in a 3-4 defense. Ryans was decent but not nearly as effective as usual last year due to the scheme change.

He struggles some in coverage, but I wouldn't say he's a liability. He's a great sideline to sideline guy and is great against the run. Ryans is also a great locker room guy and a vocal leader. Definitely will bring this attribute and improve the locker room. Priority number 1 I think is keeping this guy clean and letting him make plays by putting a big DT in front of him. Either Poe in round 1, or a guy like Ta'amu in round 2. We could also use help on the O-line, but I'm hoping for the sexy pick.

Uniting my sig with the team!

apb540
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Great trade but I still want to see us grab at least one LB in the first two rounds. IMO we needed 3 new ones this off season...

SickwithIt1010
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I would be down for taking Fletcher Cox or Brockers in the 1st and would not be disappointed at all to take Zach Brown in the second if he were available. I know its a little far fetched because the Eagles HATE drafting LB's but it would be cool.

Also a guy who might be a possibility now would be a guy like Kirkpatrick who I think would be a great nickel corner for us. Big/Physical corner and might even be able to slide in at safety if we needed him too.

igglefanz
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah this is shaping up good for us for the draft for us getting BPA.

I am still big on Poe I think he under Washburn would blossom. Cox I like its a safe pic but I dont think he has huge upside you see what you get. Brockers Pro day is tomorrow I will be watching for results there.

I think CB is all based on if we still have Samuels or plan on keeping him. Kirkpatrick is a great pick but wont have an impact with our depth for a couple of years with us 3 deep with people and from what i have heard Curtis Marsh looks good. Now if he is used as a safety then its differnt.

I think still one of the big TE's in the second is a must I know everyone like clay but I think its still a great idea and pick. Also would like to see an OT in the top 3 rounds. We have no depth there

SickwithIt1010
03-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Im scared to death of Poe, the guy is an insane workout warrior but the fact that he didnt do **** in the C-USA scares me. Like really? A guy that is that freakish of an athlete cant put up numbers in that conference, he's invisible on film.

igglefanz
03-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Im scared to death of Poe, the guy is an insane workout warrior but the fact that he didnt do **** in the C-USA scares me. Like really? A guy that is that freakish of an athlete cant put up numbers in that conference, he's invisible on film.

He is a very high risk. I just see how he moves and watched some film and its more or less technique and teams game plan away from him when he was at Memphis. He has big glaring issues but I don't think its anything that cant be fixed. We have 2 great starters at DT for him to learn under.

I Look at Poe and i see Ngata light. I don't think he is of that level but when you can put a physically gifted person in the middle of the defense its going to create advantages. I will eat crow on this I think this team misses Bunkley more then I would like to admit. Doesn't have the pretty numbers but when you have someone that powerful in the middle It changes the flow of everything.

Now saying that Cox I am gonna be happy with if we get him. I think he is in the same mold as a Cullen Jenkins. I think though the kid from Clemson Thompson or Worthy MSU are both high on my list for the first 2nd round pick if we don't take DT in the first and they fall to there.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I would be down for taking Fletcher Cox or Brockers in the 1st and would not be disappointed at all to take Zach Brown in the second if he were available. I know its a little far fetched because the Eagles HATE drafting LB's but it would be cool.

Also a guy who might be a possibility now would be a guy like Kirkpatrick who I think would be a great nickel corner for us. Big/Physical corner and might even be able to slide in at safety if we needed him too.

Kirkpatrick isn't a great fit in our defense anymore. I love Kirkpatrick, think he's a great talent who would probably do fine in a hybrid role, but I'm far from sold on that idea. (plus I'm tired of these CB/S hybrids coming in and not working out for us, lol). Stephen Gilmore is a much better schem fit, has experience in every type of coverage, and is adept at bump and run. He has size and some playmaking ability too. Do I think Kirkpatrick is a better prospect? Yes (though not by as much as most people think), but Gilmore is a great prospect in his own right and is a much better fit for the Eagles defensive scheme. If they do go CB early, it'll be on a guy with experience in bump and run. Kirkpatrick played more zone at Bama and doesn't have as much experience as Gilmore in that area.

I would still like to address another LB spot early, and would love either of those guys, but as you said, I doubt it at this point.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 09:56 AM

You also have to account for his role in the defense. NTs in most defenses won't stand out anyway, and don't get a lot of production because of it. When evaluating NT prospects, you have to look at what the rest of the front 7 is able to do as well, because DTs, especially NTs like him, do as much, if not more, for a defense that doesn't result in themself making a play as it does the other way around. Poe did a great job of occupying blockers and enabling his teammates to make plays, and made plays himself. I don't think he's elite as a prospect by any means, but he is right up there with the other top DTs in this class (I don't include Brockers in that, think he is just a step below Poe/Cox. If it were Poe or DeCastro, I'd want DeCastro, honestly. But with the contract the Eagles just gave Mathis, IDK if Guard will be an early pick.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah this is shaping up good for us for the draft for us getting BPA.

I am still big on Poe I think he under Washburn would blossom. Cox I like its a safe pic but I dont think he has huge upside you see what you get. Brockers Pro day is tomorrow I will be watching for results there.

I think CB is all based on if we still have Samuels or plan on keeping him. Kirkpatrick is a great pick but wont have an impact with our depth for a couple of years with us 3 deep with people and from what i have heard Curtis Marsh looks good. Now if he is used as a safety then its differnt.

I think still one of the big TE's in the second is a must I know everyone like clay but I think its still a great idea and pick. Also would like to see an OT in the top 3 rounds. We have no depth there

Where are we getting all these pick though? lol. I can think of plenty of positions I'd want addressed before TE. LB, DT, S, hell, even backup Tackle since we just traded one of ours, I'd address before TE (there's a few others, I'll just stop there though). It just doesn't make sense to draft a TE early when it isn't a need, AT ALL, and we have other, much more pressing needs.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
He is a very high risk. I just see how he moves and watched some film and its more or less technique and teams game plan away from him when he was at Memphis. He has big glaring issues but I don't think its anything that cant be fixed. We have 2 great starters at DT for him to learn under.

I Look at Poe and i see Ngata light. I don't think he is of that level but when you can put a physically gifted person in the middle of the defense its going to create advantages. I will eat crow on this I think this team misses Bunkley more then I would like to admit. Doesn't have the pretty numbers but when you have someone that powerful in the middle It changes the flow of everything.

Now saying that Cox I am gonna be happy with if we get him. I think he is in the same mold as a Cullen Jenkins. I think though the kid from Clemson Thompson or Worthy MSU are both high on my list for the first 2nd round pick if we don't take DT in the first and they fall to there.

Except for the Ngata comparison, I agree with this bolded part. Bunk is missed, but he really isn't much more of a different DT than Jenkins is, so keeping him around wasn't a necessity. Having both of them clogging the middle would have helped our LBs some this year, where Patterson and our other DTS just make it too easy sometimes for linemen to reach our second level. Bunk was a great anchor for his size, Jenkins too.

Jenkins played NT in most snaps, but I think he's better suited as a 3 technique in the wide 9. If we can get a clogger NT, that leaves the rest of our D-linemen with one on one matchups against linemen, and with our DL, that is advantage-Eagles every time.

igglefanz
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Where are we getting all these pick though? lol. I can think of plenty of positions I'd want addressed before TE. LB, DT, S, hell, even backup Tackle since we just traded one of ours, I'd address before TE (there's a few others, I'll just stop there though). It just doesn't make sense to draft a TE early when it isn't a need, AT ALL, and we have other, much more pressing needs.

we still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I have said DT, One big target for Vick, secondary and OT But even then Its going to be BPA for us and how it falls I can see a WR over a TE too in the second.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
we still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, I have said DT, One big target for Vick, secondary and OT But even then Its going to be BPA for us and how it falls I can see a WR over a TE too in the second.

Agreed, but with how Celek has come back into a prominent role, a second round pick on a backup, maybe even third string TE is pointless when we could get more value out of a DT to add to our rotation, LB to (hopefully) assume a starting role, S to compete for a starting spot, Guard to come in and assume a starters spot in a few years (Celek seems cemented as our starter for the foreseeable future) potentially, or even a CB to come in and play Nickel for a season or two until DRC is either resigned or moves on and Aso slows down.

Celek seem entrenched as our starter. Coaches love him, teammates love him, and he isn't expensive, plus we have Harbor who is slowly getting more and more of a role as he develops. I think if something were to happen to Celek, the team would be comfortable enough with Harbor as the starter anyway. I could even make an argument for FB being a bigger need than TE (technically, we don't even have one on our roster right now, so it sort of is)

With much greater needs at LB, S, CB, DT, OG, OT, RB, FB, WR (and an argument could be made for QB), why would the team feel the need to draft a TE (a position they historically don't value as a high round draft pick anyway) in the second round who wouldn't even start? There are impact LBs, DTs, Safeties, who would be available in the second round who would come in and compete or win starting jobs right away. There are Guards and Tackles who would start if our OL wasn't already hammered out who would provide more valuable depth in case of injury. The same could be said for WR, this is a solid WR class, and a second round WR could come in and compete with Avant for receptions and still have a fairly significant role in the offense, where a second or third string TE deosn't have much value to the team.

igglefanz
03-22-2012, 11:42 AM
EATW we NEED an impact player that has some size in the red zone. It is also clear that we are pretty much going back to a single back set. TE or a big WR we need in the red zone. In a short field Maclin and Jackson struggle to get open and I can see the Eagles running alot of two TE sets now. It works for other teams why can't it for the Eagles?

I want a soild number 2 TE for many reasons. It would give Vick more protection and more places to dump off the ball. I think it would just do more to help McCoy. I guess I don't get it why after the run defense we put up last year why we shouldn't address the lack of a red zone offense where we STUNK. I think a great TE makes more sense because of McCoy and helping him with the run. But if we get a WR with some size and can make plays in the Red zone I dont care I want to see us getting more TD's there next year or we are not winning anything big.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Here's the thing though, if we want a bigger red zone threat, it makes more sense to draft that as a WR early than a TE, since WR is already a need. We can get a good blocking TE later than the second round. I'm not arguing with you about needing a bigger target in the red zone. We do, I just think the team will see it makes more sense to spend a 2nd-5th round pick on a bigger WR who will be that red zone target as well as a slot receiver. And then use a later round pick on a TE that is a more capable blocker who will help in both pass pro and run blocking later in the draft, say a guy like George Bryan out of NC State.

SickwithIt1010
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah tight end is much more of a luxury pick than anything right now. Would I love a guy like allen or fleener for our offense? Hell yes! BUt it isn't a need.

Right now id have to say if I wentwith a big board for our pick and who might be available

Fletcher Cox
Michael Brockers
David DeCastro
Dontari Poe
Devon Still
Jonathan Martin

I think those are the guys who will be targeted and are realistic at this point...I would still be open to the idea of a guy like michael Floyd to give us a bigger receiver but would be much happier grabbing someone like a tommy streeter in the 3rd. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year.

eaglesalltheway
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah tight end is much more of a luxury pick than anything right now. Would I love a guy like allen or fleener for our offense? Hell yes! BUt it isn't a need.

Right now id have to say if I wentwith a big board for our pick and who might be available

Fletcher Cox
Michael Brockers
David DeCastro
Dontari Poe
Devon Still
Jonathan Martin

I think those are the guys who will be targeted and are realistic at this point...I would still be open to the idea of a guy like michael Floyd to give us a bigger receiver but would be much happier grabbing someone like a tommy streeter in the 3rd. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year.

I'm not a huge Brockers fan to begin with (not at 15, anyway) but I really question his ability to fit into our scheme. He isn't an NT type of player, which, ideally, is what the Eagles would be looking for I think. Not sure he fits that. He has great size, but doesn't really play like a big NT. Plus he doesn't really offer much AT ALL for pass rush, which would be fine if he were a true two gap NT type, but he doesn't have that anchor. I know he is raw and could develop, but I'm just not big on his fit based on what I've seen on him. Like Still, I think his best fit will be as a 5 technique, where he could really do some damage once he adjusts to the NFL and develops his game.

igglefanz
03-23-2012, 05:09 AM
What scares me about Brockers is he is missing 2 glaring things. Lack of quality production even though at a great school and he didn't measure off the charts. At his size leverage is going to be an issue and he could fill out but if we take him I think he is more of a project then Poe is.

Poe has the measurables but the lack of production at a lesser school. I agree Cox is the best of the bunch as of being NFL ready. My knock on Cox is he isnt a true NT but another UT and that doesn't help our bigger need of controlling the line and stopping the run.

I think actually for us the best pick if Cox and Poe isnt available is Thompson in the second. Stout, strong and a great run stopper. I think Still and Worthy are great but that is a reach for them at 15 I would really hope the Eagles trade back if that is the case that Poe,Cox Brockers and Decastro are off the board.

eaglesalltheway
03-23-2012, 07:21 AM
What scares me about Brockers is he is missing 2 glaring things. Lack of quality production even though at a great school and he didn't measure off the charts. At his size leverage is going to be an issue and he could fill out but if we take him I think he is more of a project then Poe is.

Poe has the measurables but the lack of production at a lesser school. I agree Cox is the best of the bunch as of being NFL ready. My knock on Cox is he isnt a true NT but another UT and that doesn't help our bigger need of controlling the line and stopping the run.

I think actually for us the best pick if Cox and Poe isnt available is Thompson in the second. Stout, strong and a great run stopper. I think Still and Worthy are great but that is a reach for them at 15 I would really hope the Eagles trade back if that is the case that Poe,Cox Brockers and Decastro are off the board.

Thats how I feel about Cox, he's similar to Patterson in his style of play, which, despite my thinking that he may be the better prospect, I would prefer a guy like Poe over him if we go DT first round. There are a couple DT prospects that I like that'd fill out the NT role in this wide 9. There is Poe, who if he can play to his workout numbers, is incredibly scheme diverse. You mentioned Thompson, who I also like and think would fit the NT position well here. I also like Alameda Ta'amu in the second round or so,l he's similar to Thompson and maybe even be a better run stuffer, while still having some ability as a pass rusher.

The draft is definitely going to be interesting, we really have no ******* clue how the Eagles will draft because they've afforded the opportunity to choose from a bunch of prospects based off of their needs throughout the draft.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I've got Fletcher Cox being available at 15 and the Eagles take him. Would Philly fa s be happy with this? I read that perhaps the Eagles need more of a run stuffer than what Cox brings, but would you really pass on him for a lesser tackle?

brat316
03-23-2012, 10:25 AM
They need a true NT, or OT, hell philly curve ball with big tall fast WR.

eaglesalltheway
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
I've got Fletcher Cox being available at 15 and the Eagles take him. Would Philly fa s be happy with this? I read that perhaps the Eagles need more of a run stuffer than what Cox brings, but would you really pass on him for a lesser tackle?
He would be one of the more likely possibilities, depending on who else was available. I'd say if Poe was available, or DeCastro, he isn't as likely as either of them, after that, is probably Cox, if I had to take a guess. Also S, LB (maybe, who knows? lol), CB, or other linemen may need to be considered.

eaglesalltheway
03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
They need a true NT, or OT, hell philly curve ball with big tall fast WR.

I don't expect a WR too early this year, unless Blackmon falls to 15 (not happening). I could see them spending a second rounder on a WR, but it'd take a lot of their targets at positions of need to be gone by then.

simmy1989
03-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Here is who I would like to see us draft (Scouts Grade via espn.com)

1st Round (15th Overall) - DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois (92/100 Scouts Grade)
No real pressing needs for the Eagles will be available here it seems. I would really like adding Mercilus. He is a hard worker with a great motor and great character. Relentless pass rusher that would add depth. Babin may be gone when his contract is up in a couple years when he will be 33 so this seems a logical pick. I could very well see us trading this pick and I would not be mad at all if we did to get more picks or a good player that is on the block.

2nd Round (46th Overall) - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson (87/100 Scouts Grade)
Durbale player, great run stuffer. Was an excellant student at Clemson. Would add some depth at DT and I think could be a starter in 2nd year. Really like this kid.

2nd Round (51st Overall/via Arizona) - LB Mychal Kendricks, California (83/100 Scouts Grade)
Love this kids potential. Has great top end speed for a LB and would be versitle enough to be SAM, MIKE, or WILL LB in Eagles system. Really want to see Kendricks in an Eagles uniform.

3rd Round (89th Overall/via Houston) - CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina (76/100 Scouts Grade)
Really high on Norman. Slight focus and character issues are a worry. But Norman was very durable player for Coastal Carolina and he has excellant ball skills. Like his potential to be next Non D-1 player to be a starter level player in NFL.

4th Round - WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL) (70/100 Scouts Grade)
6'4" WR with good speed. Displayed big play ability at Miami. I think he would be a great 4th round pick and could be Eagles No.4 WR and compete for kick/punt return job in camp.

5th Round - S George Iloka, Boise State (61/100 Scouts Grade)
I like Iloka because of his build for a saftey. Needs to work on his ball skills and angles that he takes in run support, but when you get to these rounds it's easy to pick weak parts of a player. For 5th round I really like Iloka.

6th Round (via Indianapolis) - TE James Hanna, Oklahoma (59/100 Scouts Grade)
Would like to see us bring in a TE late. Hanna didn't have great production at Oklahoma, but what I have seen of him he had solid hands and is a decent athlete for a TE.

6th Round (via Denver) - LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma (55/100 Scouts Grade)
Very productive player at Oklahoma. Very good tackler that I think people are over looking. If he stays at the grades he's at I would love to see him be in a Eagles uniform.

6th Round (via New England) - S Christian Thompson, South Carolina State (53/100 Scouts Grade)
Don't know a lot about Christian Thompson, but from what I hear he is a big hitter and showed great athleticism at South Carolina State. I think he would be a solid player to bring in to compete for a backup saftey role and could be a good special teams player being the athlete he's brought up to be.

Free Agent - RB Bobby Rainey, Western Kentucky (30/100 Scouts Grade)
I saw Rainey play once while I was visiting some friends a year ago. This kid was a hard runner and seemed like a hard worker. Was very poductive at Western Kentucky and I would love to see him brought in to compete with backup RB's and play special teams.

SickwithIt1010
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
If we take Marcilus in the 1st I will punt a baby.

Absolutely love the Thompson, Streeter, and Iloka picks, though.

apb540
03-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Lol I'm not down with that first round pick either but I do like every single pick after. Tommy Streeter could be dirty with Mike Vick. I would like to see us take Zach Brown, Mark Barron, or Poe in the first with that draft.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Let me just say this right now, I don't expect this or anything, just my personal feelings.

If the Eagles do trade Asante (seems like they will at this point, if the return is right). I would love Stephon Gilmore. He's a great fit in the defense, with a skill set that I think will succeed in most any scheme he could be drafted into, but he'd fit great here. He plays the run better than any CB in this class outside of Kirkpatrick and sticks to SEC WRs very well. He has experience in all types of coverage, including press-man and has a history of making plays. Not an elite playmaker at the position like Asante, but better as a man coverage CB. Doesn't quite have the break to the ball like Asante has had in his prime, but he doesn't need to when he has his footwork right, he never leaves too big of a gap. He's one of the prospects I'm going to follow wherever he goes. Great off-field character from what I have gathered and is a team leader. Lots to like about him. Of all the potential first round choices, he may be the one I personally like the most.

brat316
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I have a feeling with the players we have at CB we will be seeing more man coverage, which doesn't fit Asante's abilities.

If DRC and Aso can get it together the 3rd cb might be a rotation of guys.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I've heard the team is big on Marsh, but we've all heard that before about our other CB/S failures in recent years.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I also think Janoris Jenkins would be nice, but I can't really trust him, don't know why, lol, but I'd rather spend our second rounder on a guy like Alfonzo Dennard if we don't go CB in the first round.

brat316
03-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Rashard Barksdale.

brat316
03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
C.J. Gaddis

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Rashard Barksdale.
No. Bad.
C.J. Gaddis

Stoppit!!!

Todd Bertuzzi
03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Sounds like we won't be getting more than a 2nd for Asante. Not worth it at all if that's the case imo.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
IDK, if they can get a third rounder plus something else, I'd say its worth it. He is beginning to reach that age where CBs slow down, and with his style of play, that doesn't bode well. Also consider how much cap space he takes up as well, something like 10 mil. If they can get value, say a 3rd and a fourth rounder or more, I could see them pulling the trigger, especially with how much they say they trust their young CBs.

Another mid round CB I like that could be a steal for us is Josh Norman. I remember seeing him in two of the post-season games this year and being impressed. Perfect fit for the scheme, of the mid round CBs that fit the Eagles scheme, he has some of the best athleticism. Combine that with his strength at jamming and re-routing his opponent, and you have a great addition to our CBs.

SickwithIt1010
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I would be down to trade Asante, he needs to go with how much he is taking in our cap space. Hes getting older and is declining each and every year, and hopefully Castillo starts to lean towards playing more man and that isnt Asante's game. I would be down to take a Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd but I do agree that he's a risk.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know. It seems as though Asante and Nnamdi can't co-exist because one's a great zone corner and the other is a great man corner. That being said, Asante is still one of the best in the game and we still have a window of a couple years here with guys like him, Vick, etc... so I don't see the benefit of trading him unless we are getting a S or LB in return. A 2nd/3rd rounder for him does nothing for us at this point.

SickwithIt1010
03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
If it puts is in position to land a guy like Barron/Zach Brown? I think it does a lot for us.

apb540
03-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Exactly sickwithit. This team has some holes to fill.

eaglesalltheway
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
If it puts is in position to land a guy like Barron/Zach Brown? I think it does a lot for us.

Agreed, even a third rounder would be big. It'd allow us to move up quite a bit in the second round if we want to to get another target that may not make it to the second round pick.

I'd love to get something like a first rounder, but even a second rounder isn't all that likely right now. Brandon Marshall was just traded for two third rounders, and his value is higher than Asante's, due to age. I think a third and a fourth or fifth would be excellent value, as long as the Eagles aren't stuck with too much of his contract.

As it is, Tennessee doesn't seem to want to give up a conditional third round pick, based off of reports I've been seeing (how credible they are leaves some room for questioning), but its seems like posturing at this point. We'll just have to be patient and see how it all works out.

simmy1989
04-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I have done more reasearch on players in this year's draft and the more I look here is what I would do if I was GM. Not everyone will like this but you can't please everyone. I know my post before many liked my 2nd Round and on which I am not changing.

1st Round (15th Overall) - Shop the pick. It's hard to tell who/what is available or who would be interested, but I would look to see if there is a team desperate to move in a grab somebody. I just don't see any great fits or prospects that I really like at this spot.

2nd Round (46th Overall) - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson (85/100 Scouts Grade)

2nd Round (51st Overall/via Arizona) - LB Mychal Kendricks, California (85/100 Scouts Grade)

3rd Round (89th Overall/via Houston) - CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina (74/100 Scouts Grade)

4th Round - S George Iloka, Boise State (69/100 Scouts Grade)

5th Round - WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL) (66/100 Scouts Grade)

6th Round (via Indianapolis) - LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma (56/100 Scouts Grade)

6th Round (via Denver) - TE James Hanna, Oklahoma (55/100 Scouts Grade)

6th Round (via New England) - S Christian Thompson, South Carolina State (51/100 Scouts Grade)

Free Agent - RB Bobby Rainey, Western Kentucky (30/100 Scouts Grade)
I saw Rainey play once while I was visiting some friends a year ago. This kid was a hard runner and seemed like a hard worker. Was very poductive at Western Kentucky and I would love to see him brought in to compete with backup RB's and play special teams.

eaglesalltheway
04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I like Norman, he'd be a great fit, is one of the better pure bump and run CBs in this draft, but I don't think he'd be available in the third round. Same with Iloka, he is a hot name right now and I could see him going early perhaps second or even early third round. I like Streeter, not a huge huge fan, but I think he'll be long gone before the fifth round. His triangle numbers proved to be what they should have been, and he is averaging right around a 2nd to 3rd round grade. For the value, I'd love those guys, I just highly doubt either of them will be available when you have them going.

eaglesalltheway
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Dontari Poe was in for a visit today during Bell's press conference, but a few media guys saw him and Washburn and talked to them. Washburn tried to tell the media he was Perrish Cox... Why would one do that? lol. Makes me think the Eagles are trying to keep their interest in him low key.

jackalope
04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
As a Packer fan, I would consider taking Fletcher Cox over any player in this draft class (Claiborne may be the exception, though I haven't seen him play much). So, my ideal scenario is to see him fall on draft day and Green Bay trade up to get him. The sense I get is that his floor at this point is going 15 to the Eagles. My question for Eagles fans is how likely you guys are to take him if he's there, or if there is a chance he could fall to 20. What players could you see the team passing on Cox to take. Is it possible that Philadelphia feels Brockers is a better fit? Poe? Help fill me in.

igglefanz
04-07-2012, 08:28 PM
As a Packer fan, I would consider taking Fletcher Cox over any player in this draft class (Claiborne may be the exception, though I haven't seen him play much). So, my ideal scenario is to see him fall on draft day and Green Bay trade up to get him. The sense I get is that his floor at this point is going 15 to the Eagles. My question for Eagles fans is how likely you guys are to take him if he's there, or if there is a chance he could fall to 20. What players could you see the team passing on Cox to take. Is it possible that Philadelphia feels Brockers is a better fit? Poe? Help fill me in.

Alot of people have Cox going as high as 9 to Carolina. He is a very hard prospect to gauge as most of the DT's in the draft right now are. He is probably the safest bet among all the ones that will go first round although I personally think his ceiling is the lowest.

I think it depends who is on the board at that time. I think the Eagles from the smoke signals are very interested in both Poe and Brockers. Now personally I think both of them are more what the Eagles need then Cox. Just A bit Cox is #4 of the DT's I want the Eagles to take in the first round I pefer if Poe, Brockers or Worthy over Cox.

As of if he gets past us I could see SD and Tennessee both take him at 18 and 20.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
From what I've seen of Cox, he seems like a similar player to Jenkins, and I'm not sure if the Eagles are looking for another when they already have one. If they are looking DT early in the draft, I imagine it'll be more for a two gapping NT. I have doubts that even Brockers could be capable of doing that, he'd be more of the UT in the Eagles scheme (so would Cox). I personally like Cox more than Brockers or Worthy. If Poe is gone, I could see him as the pick if he's available, as Jenkins is only really guaranteed a contract next year, so there could be need for either DT in our system.

As it is, I see it as more likely the Eagles trade up, but if they don't, and Cox is available at 15, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd pick him, unless a team offered up a sweet trade. Also, even if a Packers target like Cox would slip to 18 or 20, isn't it really out of character for them to trade up in the first round? IDK if that would happen even if he would fall.

brat316
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Who is the NT for Bama, I think he can be a mid round pick for DT if Poe is gone.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
There are a few other viable NT options that we could get throughout the draft, I think you're thinking of Chapman? I personally like Thompson a hair more (not all that big of a Chapman fan). But I think a guy like Hebron Fangupu or Dominique Hamilton could have a similar impact to a guy like Chapman (Chapman has more upside than either, IMO) and be gotten at a round or two later, maybe even three.

jackalope
04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
From what I've seen of Cox, he seems like a similar player to Jenkins, and I'm not sure if the Eagles are looking for another when they already have one. If they are looking DT early in the draft, I imagine it'll be more for a two gapping NT. I have doubts that even Brockers could be capable of doing that, he'd be more of the UT in the Eagles scheme (so would Cox). I personally like Cox more than Brockers or Worthy. If Poe is gone, I could see him as the pick if he's available, as Jenkins is only really guaranteed a contract next year, so there could be need for either DT in our system.

As it is, I see it as more likely the Eagles trade up, but if they don't, and Cox is available at 15, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd pick him, unless a team offered up a sweet trade. Also, even if a Packers target like Cox would slip to 18 or 20, isn't it really out of character for them to trade up in the first round? IDK if that would happen even if he would fall.

I definitely see the Cullen Jenkins comparison. Plenty of quickness and play-making ability. I think Cox would be great in a 3-4 and actually have a better career than Jenkins.

While Thompson has been known for trading down, he hasn't done it as much the last few years. When he took over in 2005, the team was sorely lacking depth, but that's no longer the case. He traded up to get Matthews in 2009, and I think this is a similar situation, where adding and impact front seven player would go a long way. I think Cox would be worth the price to trade up to 20 or so.

So, say that Cox, Brockers, and Poe were all available at 15. Is that pretty much a toss up? What other players could the Eagles go for there?

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I definitely see the Cullen Jenkins comparison. Plenty of quickness and play-making ability. I think Cox would be great in a 3-4 and actually have a better career than Jenkins.

While Thompson has been known for trading down, he hasn't done it as much the last few years. When he took over in 2005, the team was sorely lacking depth, but that's no longer the case. He traded up to get Matthews in 2009, and I think this is a similar situation, where adding and impact front seven player would go a long way. I think Cox would be worth the price to trade up to 20 or so.

So, say that Cox, Brockers, and Poe were all available at 15. Is that pretty much a toss up? What other players could the Eagles go for there?

I can't say I know for certain with the Eagles (hell, its crazy to think I even have a clue, lol) but it'd make the most sense if they are looking the NT type DT they need right now in our wide 9 for a guy like Poe. Brockers may be 2nd, or Cox. Hell, I may be wrong, but if it were me (and I think the logic makes more sense) I'd say it'd be Poe, then a slight gap between him and Cox (soleley because of fit/need, I think he is the better prospect), then another perhaps larger gap between Cox and Brockers. I don't think Brockers would be a great fit in the defense, unless it was as a UT, but if that's the case, the Eagles would be going Cox (IMO) over him, as Cox is easily the better prospect. (Poe is a better prespect, IMO, as well)

They could also maybe still be looking at Keuchly, maybe a CB too if Asante is getting moved. If they do look for a CB early, I'd say Stephon Gilmore is possible, fits the defense and would most likely still be available at (IMO) good value.

eaglesalltheway
04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
The Cleveland Plains-Dealer is "reporting" that the Rams and Eagles are frontrunners to trade up to fourth overall. I put reporting in quotations because this seems like the type of BS that reporters do, they see connections between teams and make news. However, If we are to take this seriously, we can assume its most likely for 2 or three guys. Either (I'd imagine) Claiborne or ... Tannehill. I'd like Claiborne (obviously, but I wouldn't want to give up a lot for him. We have two second round picks, but I wouldn't want to give up either, honestly. That goes for Tannehill, especially. I like Tannehill, I really do. I don't think he's as raw as people suggest, and has the tools to be a top level NFL QB, and would be great in the Eagles offense. I'm just not a fan of giving up #15 AND whatever it'd take to move up. If he was there at 15, I'd make a guess that he'd be at the top of the Eagles big board, even if a guy like Cox is available. Outside of those two, I can't think of another realistice target, unless it'd be completely out of left field. But like I started with, I think this is typical media BS, or its the Browns trying to drum up interest from other teams in trade possibilities.

Bigp5437
04-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah..I'm intrigued by the idea of Tannehill..but when we're clearly in a make or potentially blow up and start over type year..that just sounds like we'd be conceding towards the future..especially when we have much more pressing needs.

SickwithIt1010
04-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I dont see us moving up all the way to 4, thats way too much for a guy like Tannehill. IMO at least.

PhillyBirds25
04-15-2012, 05:01 AM
My personal take on Ryan Tannehill:

For the record I've said that I wanted a franchise QB and would've gave up a ton for RG3, so it's not the position I think we should avoid, it's Tannehill. While I've always liked Tannehill, I've never loved him. I have some big concerns with Tannehill. My personal take on Tannehill:

I'll start with the positives first:
*He has a good (not great) arm
*He's very good throwing on the run
*Real good size
*Good athletic ability
*He's extremely good throwing outside the numbers (though those are the easier passes in the game)
*Can make stick throws at times
*Good character guy, intelligent and hard worker
*Good upside

Cons:
*He's not as effective throwing between the numbers
*Struggles reading defenses (yes he's inexperienced, I know)
*Accuracy on his deep ball is pretty bad (Bad fit with Djax and Andy Reids deep ball offense)
*Makes some really poor choices with the ball at times, 15 INTs this past year. 3 games with 3 INTs, all 3 games lost, 2 coming by less than 2 points each.
*Inconsistency with ball placement, 61% completion might look good on paper, but the Aggies offense was very simple with quick out throws, screens and dump offs, not much down-field threat so that 61% should've been around 65-68%.
*Locks onto his primary target
*The biggest con for me: Not clutch!!! Out of 6 games that were decided by one possession, they lost 5, 2 games being in OT. The one win came from Texas Tech when the Aggies were up 45-30 in the 4th quarter with 12min left, their offense stalled and allowed Texas Tech bring the score to 45-40, but by that time there was only 30 seconds left and the game was a wrap. In the other 5 games Tannehill had opportunities to lead his offense to a win but came up short every time. In most those games he made crucial mistakes, threw picks, some at the end of the game where they had a chance to drive and win the game.

I just don't see him ever being a top 10 QB in this league, and if I'm trading up into the top 7 picks I want the kid to have the potential to be a top QB in the game.

We're on the verge of having a very powerful team this season and we will be serious superbowl contenders, we have multiple picks that could help us get over the hump, let's not waste multiple picks on a QB who has serious question marks and wont help us win a superbowl this year.

On top of that, the QB class of 2013 is looking to be loaded with talent and depth, we should retool this entire team with the multiple picks we have (not give them away for Tannehill) and make a strong run at the SB this year. If we flop, we're in prime position for a top QB, if we do good and we can still trade up and target one of the QBs in what will be a depth filled class of passers.

Well that's just how I feel at least.

apb540
04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Agreed 100% PhillyBirds25.

eaglesalltheway
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Pretty much how I feel about Tannehill. I'm not sold on him, which is why I'm not in favor of giving up a lot to move up, and depending on the situation, I'd want to go somewhere else if he was there at 15 (Poe, Cox and a few others, maybe). One thing he does have going for him is his intermediate/longer throws are very good. In this offense, that would be enough to work with while he was young until his minor footwork and mechanic issues get straightened out to fix his accuracy for all his throws. He's got good tools to work with, but I don't see him as a true Franchise QB. Though I'm not saying I think he can't eventually get there.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
It's a smokescreen. Cleveland is just trying to drive the price of the fourth pick up. I would be very surprised if the Eagles traded up to 4 and took Tannenhill.

eaglesalltheway
04-15-2012, 04:26 PM
It's a smokescreen. Cleveland is just trying to drive the price of the fourth pick up. I would be very surprised if the Eagles traded up to 4 and took Tannenhill.

Of course, but we need to at least speculate first so that (by some utter terrible form of ********) if it does happen, we won't kill ourselves immediately after!

SolidGold
04-16-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't think that he will be drafted by the eagles BUT If Tannehill did end up on the Eagles it would be a good fit for him and the eagles. Reid/Morningwheg could develop him as the heir apparent to Vick. I like Tannehill so I would like him to end up with competent offensive coaches that can prepare him for the NFL.

The Eagles have pretty good depth at RB/WR/D-Line/CB (if they keep Samuel). I think their main concerns are LB and safety. Getting a safety like Mark Barron in the first would be a nice pick up for them. Reid seems to draft O-Line/D-Line in every draft so if Cox were available I think he would be a good fit. Brockers/Poe are two guys getting drafted based on potential/workout warrior type numbers so they scare me a little. I think Cox could make an impact right away.

cunningham06
04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Of course, but we need to at least speculate first so that (by some utter terrible form of ********) if it does happen, we won't kill ourselves immediately after!

I'm praying we don't do this. I am still getting over the Kolb selection. At least we screwed over Arizona and got great trade value for him.

SickwithIt1010
04-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I think Cox could make an impact right away.

Poe and Brockers make a little more sense than Cox because they are more NT type D tackles. Cox is very similar to what we have in Cullen Jenkins. We need a big nose tackle who can eat up blockers and take some of the stress off our linebackers.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Poe and Brockers make a little more sense than Cox because they are more NT type D tackles. Cox is very similar to what we have in Cullen Jenkins. We need a big nose tackle who can eat up blockers and take some of the stress off our linebackers.

This is what I've been thinking. I really am not a fan of Brockers though. With Poe I haven't seen any of his gameplay other than the short clips that are available but I think with his tools and Washburn there to show him the ropes he could be a great fit for us. Sounds like they were trying to keep Poe's visit under wraps too so he could be a guy we're taking a seriously look at.

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Brockers is not a NT, not here in the wide 9, not in any defense really. Doesn't have enough anchor to his play, not in the NFL anyway.

I kinda feel like Poe is the target, TB mentioned what I alluded to earlier, they seemed like they were trying to keep Poe's visit quiet...

simmy1989
04-22-2012, 07:52 AM
After seeing all the tape, talk, hype, etc. these are the prospects I would target for us. Gonna be a little bittersweet to see Asante Samuel leave, but this is a business and when you have two great athletes in Namdi and DRC it makes sense to dump Asante's salary off the books.

DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
LB Mychal Kendricks, California
S George Iloka, Boise State
CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL)
LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma

If we could walk away with these guys with are picks in round 1-5+pick(s) acquired from Asante I would be extremly happy

SickwithIt1010
04-22-2012, 11:27 PM
After seeing all the tape, talk, hype, etc. these are the prospects I would target for us. Gonna be a little bittersweet to see Asante Samuel leave, but this is a business and when you have two great athletes in Namdi and DRC it makes sense to dump Asante's salary off the books.

DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
LB Mychal Kendricks, California
S George Iloka, Boise State
CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL)
LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma

If we could walk away with these guys with are picks in round 1-5+pick(s) acquired from Asante I would be extremly happy

I dont see us bringing in Thompson as well if we draft Poe. They are pretty similar, both NT type players. I do like everything else, though.

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Agreed, with Dixon back and healthy, we don't need two NT prospects. If he is back, I'm not even sure we necessarily NEED even one. (Though it would be nice to have two, enables you to do whatever you want with your front 7, no matter which "line" (to steal a hockey term... actually think its useful with our DL, lol) you have in. Everybody seems to like Iloka, no matter who you talk to, but I just haven't seen enough to say that he's one of my top mid round targets... Norman has been brought in for a visit, and I think he is a target, along with Trumain Johnson. It'll depend how the draft works out, but either one of those CBs wouldn't be a surprise to me at all, unless they go CB earlier (first three picks). Alfonzo Dennard is another CB we may see as a possibility as well.

brat316
04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Another NT wouldn't be bad since we rotate them so much.

Johnson would be awesome, just he is a knucle head.

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I typed that up thinking more along the lines of "we could get by without another" NT, but you certainly won't see me getting upset if we draft one, unless we would trade up and give up waaaay too much for Poe...

apb540
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I can't tell if I'm nervous or excited for Thursday. Part of me is scared ****less that the Cowboys will grab a stud like Mark Barron as they usually do while we grab something we don't need (ie defensive end).

eaglesalltheway
04-24-2012, 07:48 AM
At least we can take comfort in the Cowboys ******* up studs after they draft them... And Jerry Jones completely ******* up a draft after round 2...

brat316
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I was looking back on last year draft 2010, what happened to Te'O?

eaglesalltheway
04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I was looking back on last year draft 2010, what happened to Te'O?

Pretty sure he was on the practice squad or IR last year...

brat316
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Pretty sure he was on the practice squad or IR last year...

yeah he is on the Bucs now.

Looks back at the Eagles past drafts, man what is happening. Ever since whats his face left for the Browns, its been poo.

D-Unit
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
At least we can take comfort in the Cowboys ******* up studs after they draft them... And Jerry Jones completely ******* up a draft after round 2...
I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious or not. Granted no team ever hits on every pick, but generally speaking the Cowboys roster is filled with home grown talent picked up in the the draft or UDFA.

SickwithIt1010
04-25-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious or not. Granted no team ever hits on every pick, but generally speaking the Cowboys roster is filled with home grown talent picked up in the the draft or UDFA.

The Cowboys have had a high bust rate...

igglefanz
04-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Ok the draft is almost here !!!

What I would like to see at 15 if we dont trade up

1 Dontari Poe: He is the best fit for what we need at the DT. Alot of his downfall was poor coaching and being the only player on a horrible team. He played a position that you can gameplan away from.
2 Michael Brockers:I have warmed up to him more and more the more i see of him. I didn't give him due diligence because I wasn't impressed with him at the start. He is alot more of a violent and physical player then I initially saw and if he can learn to play lower and increase his upper body strength he is going to fit very well.
3 Mark Barron. I know we have 2 2nds the past 2 years at safety but this player has a nose for the ball and a playmaker. Teams will have to always plan for where he is and he will make plays.
4. Stephen Hill. Very raw but could be just what the Eagles need. Big red zone threat and a home run type player that can stretch teams even more with Jackson and Maclin and Celek. I know its a bit of a reach but I would love it.

At 15 I am pretty much sure that Floyd and Cox are gone by then.

igglefanz
04-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Also I have seen alot of Zach Brown and Mychal Kendricks chatter as the pick for WLB, but one that I am really finding interesting is Lavonte David. I know I am one of the few that thinks Matthews deserves another year to try and take the WLB spot but any of those 3 I would find great picks. I have them David, Brown and then Kendricks 1-3 how does everyone else see them?

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm certainly not against bringing in more competition at the LB spots, but if the Eagles feel that he should get another year to win the job, I will understand it as long as we don't waste our earlier picks on a QB who won't see the field or equivalent retardation.

Edit: I'm not a huge Zach Brown fan fan, but Mychal Kendricks is very intriguing, he's one of the LBS I would hope the Eagles are considering with one of their second round picks, if he's available.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2012, 07:39 AM

I kinda am, not so much that Jerry will come in and **** everything up, but look at your drafts, lots of underachievers and busts (we've had them too, just not as frequently). If it weren't for DeMarcus Ware being a total boss, and finding Romo how you guys did, (or even if one of these didn't happen) where would the Cowboys be right now, D?

Without a good QB (say whatever you want about him not being clutch, Romo is still a good QB), the only real threats on your entire offense (including OL), are Witten, who has lost a step (as much as I hate to say it), Dez, and Murray. Those are solid pieces, yes, but without a QB like Romo, Dez makes even less of an impact when he is able to stay healthy (hopefully Murray can avoid the injury bug, I like him), and Murray becomes the focal point (I'd assume, entering this season). If you guys would have Orton or McGee starting a majority of the season, what is the state of your offense? Do the Cowboys even have a shot at making the playoffs?

Without Ware, your only impact defensive players are Sean Lee, and occasionally Jay Ratliff. Where would your defense be without Ware? Running backwards after more plays than they even do know. Ware himself masks just how terrible your secondary has been, pretty much since he entered the league.

The Cowboys have had some hits, and the ones they hit on they nail down real well (Witten, Murray, Dez, Lee, Ware). Smith could be a hit, I personally haven't seen enough of him to know what track he is on, but outside of that, almost all your other high round picks haven't lived up to expectations or flat out busted. Some of the blame goes to the coaches and scouting department, and some of it goes to Jerry for being a meddling owner.

And If I came into the cowboys thread when someone posted something negative about the Eagles, I'd probably be in there almost every day, lol.

SickwithIt1010
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I like Lavonte David a lot, physical player with good speed...but I do like Brown more. Brown is a perfect compliment to what we are going to get from Demeco. I would love nothing more than for us to take Brown in the if he were available. I wouldn't be disappointed with David or Kendricks but I like Brown a slight bit more.

apb540
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
You saved me a bunch of typing Stickwithit1010.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I like Lavonte David a lot, physical player with good speed...but I do like Brown more. Brown is a perfect compliment to what we are going to get from Demeco. I would love nothing more than for us to take Brown in the if he were available. I wouldn't be disappointed with David or Kendricks but I like Brown a slight bit more.

I'm not a fan of Brown because he's not a fan of tackling. Thats the last thing we need in our LB corp. Kendricks may be a bit smaller, but he plays like he's got a set of watermelon balls...

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah, we've got an another 7th rounder now... lol. Gonna miss Asante, but he lost his place on the defense with the shift in scheme.

apb540
04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
He lost his place on defense because we signed Nnamdi, traded for DRC, and he was making 9.9 mil this year and even more next. The Falcons are getting one helluva nice player.

simmy1989
04-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Final Eagles Mock Draft
1(15)- S Mark Barron, Alabama
2(46)- DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
2(51)- LB Mychal Kendricks, California
3(76)- CB Josh Norman, Coastal California
4(114)- S George Iloka, Boise State
5(153)- WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL)
6(172)- LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
6(194)- RB Chris Rainey, Florida
6(200)- LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
7(229)- CB Cliff Harris, Oregon

Lots of talent here. With so many weapons on offense and being deep at O-Line (Even without Peters) I attacked defense hard.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Final Eagles Mock Draft
1(15)- S Mark Barron, Alabama
2(46)- DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
2(51)- LB Mychal Kendricks, California
3(76)- CB Josh Norman, Coastal California
4(114)- S George Iloka, Boise State
5(153)- WR Tommy Streeter, Miami (FL)
6(172)- LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
6(194)- RB Chris Rainey, Florida
6(200)- LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
7(229)- CB Cliff Harris, Oregon

Lots of talent here. With so many weapons on offense and being deep at O-Line (Even without Peters) I attacked defense hard.

I could dig on that...I could really dig on that.

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll give a shot at a full mock later on. I think you all know I I think the pick will be tonight, but I'll do what I can to fill out the rest before the draft starts.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
1) Dontari Poe- Gives us the run stuffer in the middle who will eat up blockers for Demeco in the middle. Has the potential to be a force in the middle.

2a) Josh Robinson- Very athletic, freakish athlete who could give us a good nickel.

2b) Zach Brown- David is a better tackler but Brown does well in coverage and is a perfect compliment to the style of play Demeco plays.

3) George Illoka- Safety who plays like a linebacker. Could be an in the box safety who will help a lot in the run game. Not horrible in coverage.

4) Tommy Streeter- Big physical receiver with 4.3 speed. Could be a good guy in the slot.

5) Kirk Cousins/Russell Wilson if either are available- Project QB, we all know how Andy does when it comes to developing QB's and I like both these guys' intangibles.

6a) Vick Ballard- Gives us a big physical back who can help us in short yardage.

6b) Akiem Hicks- Kind of an unknown being from canada but the guy is a physical specimen. Not quite as big as Poe but the numbers they put up in their testing are similar.

6c) Vontaze Burfict- Guy is a knuckle head but the guy is a wrecking ball and who knows...maybe we can get something out of him. If he doesnt make the team...oh well.

7) Someone intriguing.

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm just going to mock the first three rounds, guarantee we trade during those three anywayso it'll get messed up.

1. Dontari Poe. I've gone into detail about this over the past weeks. Fills need/role and has elite upside. Lots of interest for the Eagles on him. If they don't try to trade up to ensure they get him, he'll be the pick if he's available at 15.

2a. Trumaine Johnson. Another guy I've talked about before. Fits the defense, and the Eagles have brought him in for a visit, interest is there on some level, and his playing style matches up with the Press-man D.

2b. Mychal Kendricks. I mentioned him in the past few days/pages. I don't remember hearing if the team has shown interest, but he is one of my favorite LBs available in this range. Versatile, and could play anywhere. Perhaps a safety here (or QB) if I'm way off base...

3. Olivier Vernon. The Eagles have shown some interest in him, fits the defense, andwould offer more pass rush. I really haven't looked into him all that much, and know very little about him, but I know the Eagles have shown interest in him, and this seems like where his stock is, maybe a little lower, but if the Eagles like a D-line player, they have been known to get the guy they like in the middle rounds, even if its a round or two ahead of where their perceived value is. I'd imagine this pick may be lost if a trade up does happen.

The way I see it, I could either nail this pretty well, or be waaaay off. Can't wait to find out!

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Iloka go late second, it'd be a steal to get him in the fourth. And I'd be satisfied if he were available in the third and was selected.

SickwithIt1010
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah I think Illoka will go 3rd round, maybe late 2nd...he wont last till the 4th.

eaglesalltheway
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Well, I guess I was fooled, I don't mind though, lol. Like I said, I do th8ink Cox is the better prospect, thought I think highly of both. Our DL is going to get after the QB even more, and I love it.

Now that I think about it, it really didn't make sense, I bought into the team saying they are looking for a clogger up the middle, when they haven't done that in their recent history. Either way, I'm glad we got our hands on Cox (love all these atrocious puns that are happening, btw) and I can't wait to watch offenses figure out how the **** they're going to protect their QB.

brat316
04-27-2012, 09:01 AM
At 6-4 299, probably will go to 310. He'll be a clogger. The Eagles have been missing that great DT since Corey Simmons.

If guards are on your Lbs, then the wide 9 is going to get raped. There is a reason why it works in Detroit.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
With the addition of Cox to our pass rush and us dumping Asante to let Nnamdi go back to playing man press the majority of the time I'm looking for us to have one of the league's best pass defenses this year. The only question marks for me now are safety(we need one of Allen or Jarrett to step up), Demeco's health, and nickel CB(I'm sure we'll grab a guy today or tomorrow, a lot depends on how they view Curtis Marsh too).

SickwithIt1010
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Lots of talk of us going with Cousins with one of our picks in the 2nd. Pretty mixed about it right now.

D-Unit
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna be honest, I didn't like Cox for the Cowboys, but in your system, I hate that we have to now face him twice a year. Could've been worse since I was huge on Brockers and I would've been furious had you gotten him... but if Cox lives up to the hype, then the Cowboys are in a huge mess if they don't shore up Center... and that's assuming the new OGs work, which I'm a bit more than hesitant in believing. OL's take time to gel so I'm afraid about what you guys and the Giants can do in the middle of your DL.

apb540
04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't think we have to go CB in the next two rounds unless someone they really like is there. Joselio Hanson is a serviceable nickel CB. That being said, if they can get someone like Janoris Jenkins then go for it.

Bigp5437
04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I'd prefer to see S/LB for these two picks...but that's just me lol

brat316
04-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't like Caliborne for the boys, he is going to rough up D-Jak, all 169 lbs of him.

Lord_Anubis
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
like the draft til the qb pick
hope we get a nickel back next pick

apb540
04-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Taking a QB in the third like we don't need more help at CB, OL, S, LB, and WR. Gold standard.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Insane draft thus far. Our front seven might just be the best 4-3 front in football. Our defensive line is stacked and we've added two good, instant starters at linebacker in DeMeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks.

But I really just can't get over our defensive line. Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Cullen Jenkins, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Phillip Hunt, Darryl Tapp, Mike Patterson, Derek Landri, Antonio Dixon and Cedric Thornton. Find me a better defensive line, this team could put up historic sack numbers.

If our offense can get out on top of teams like they did in 2010 and our defense can just attack the opposing team's passing game... Oh my. We might just wreck every QB we go against.

D-Unit
04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I gotta congratulate you guys on a damn sickening A++++ draft. Bravo to your front office. Bravo.

igglefanz
04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Ok gonna break down pick by pick

1st. Fletcher Cox, by now everyone knows I was all pro Poe but this is a very good pick for us. From what i have heard Washburn was almost giddy when he talked about him calling him something like the biggest 296 lb person he has ever seen. What had me really scared was if we had to give up a 2nd to move into the top 8 to get him. The loss of a 4th and a 6th to leapfrog STL was worth it. Grade A

2nd A. Mychal Kendricks Once again I had David and Brown over him but I love this pick. With the Eagles playing more man I can see alot more blitzes dialed in on passing downs even though we run the wide 9. This guy is a pure downhill monster and isnt afraid of anyone. Plays alot bigger then his 5'11 frame and can play sideline to sideline. May get lost in coverage from time to time but good job here! Grade B+

2nd B. Vinny Curry This pick screams to me that Brandon isnt ever going to be 100%. I do love the value we got and I think he will be better with good coaching which we have in Philly. Gives us depth at a position that should be rotated alot and could push to start in a year or 2. Will never be a 15 sack a year guy but has great character and will be a well rounded 10-12 sack a year type. Grade A-

3rd. Nick Foles. Ok I may get roasted on this one but I love him as a pick. Big arm and frame and I am much higher on him then Cousins. Alot of what Foles falls short on is coachable things and has the big arm and size to be a NFL QB. No one will confuse him for Kolb. Wish he was a bit more mobile but he is good enough there as long as other things come along as of footwork and understanding NFL schemes. Possible heir to vick and legitimate backup Grade A-

4th. Brandon Boykin. Another pick that I love, would of been happy with him there with our 3rd round pick. A bit undersized but can be that player that fills in and plays the slot well. We have very good depth now at the CB spot With Marsh, Lindley, and Hanson added in. I dont think Lindley makes the final roster though. Also will be excited to see how well he does in punt and kick off returns. Would be nice to have a non starter that can do damage there. Grade B will be a soilid A if he is capable in the punt/KO return

5th. Dennis Kelly The only thing I have to say about this pick is Mudd must see something in him. I will admit I had to look him up because I had no clue to who he even was. He is only getting a decent grade here because in Mudd I trust it would of been a F if not. Grade D+

6th A. Marvin Mcnutt Ok back to the lovefest I had with this draft. Those that know me know I have been screaming for a WR with some size and we got that in McNutt. Big player that can create space, Not the quickest but a good blocker and great goaline threat. Needs to find Avant though and basically stick to him like glue all preseason to learn to catch right. For where we got him and what we need this pick gets a high score. Grade A

6th B. Brandon Washington. Another great pick, big guy and has a bit of an attitude, likes to punish and with some refinement could be a steal at this spot in the draft. I can see him as a backup anywhere along the line and possible starter 2 years down the road. Very Very good value I just want to know where the Eagles are going to stash all this talent! Grade B+

7th Bryce Brown. Ok this one totally caught me off guard I thought for sure it would be Polk here if we went RB. This late in the draft I am ok with taking risks but this is a monster risk. Just like Kelly this made me do some extra homework and I love the potential but say hello to baggage and risk. I am going to give a bit higher grade here because the upside if found is tremendous but still would of gone with Polk. Grace C-

Overall I would give the Eagles a A- grade on this draft. Filled alot of needs and added some tremendous depth at key positions.

apb540
04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Nice breakdown of the draft and I agree with most of your points. One thing I want to say about this draft is that we should of drafted Markelle Martin in the 5th instead of that random OT. Idk much about him but I do know our safties were pathetic last year and Martin has immense potential.

Bigp5437
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah...kinda disappointed we didnt draft a safety..if I remember right we could've had Iloka instead of Dennis Kelly..but oh well..we also signed Chris Polk after the draft...overall I'm pretty darn happy with how it turned out for us

Todd Bertuzzi
04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm totally fine with not drafting a safety. Give Allen and Jarrett a year to emerge. If neither steps up I'm sure we'll be picking one early next year. I'm hoping Boykin can come into camp and win that nickel spot. Should be an interesting battle between him, Marsh and Hanson. I'm also excited to see Kendricks out there. Seems like a good fit but my main concern will always be the height difference between him and the TE. Our secondary/pass rush combo is looking like the best in the league though which has me ecstatic.

apb540
04-29-2012, 03:43 PM
"Give Allen and Jarrett a year to emerge. If neither steps up I'm sure we'll be picking one early next year."

If neither one steps up, the Eagles will be picking early in the draft next year...

herkyhawkeye
04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
You havent heard of Kelly because there were a lot of great big ten linemen that came out this year and hes been lost in the shuffle for awhile now. He isnt as bad of a pick as people are making him out to be. Purdue puts out some good big uglies. I dont think he will be as bad as many are leading on.

You absolutely stole McNutt. He should have been off the board by at least mid 4th. Alot of WRs drafted ahead of him had no business being taken ahead of him.

He has only 3 years at the position in his life and turned that in to three very good years. Still has a bunch of room to grow. Ceiling is very high and he has grown exponentially over the past 3 years. Upside,upside,upside, and he is a pretty polished WR already. On top of this, with the speed that the Eagles possess on the outside in Maclin and Jackson, McNutt is going to be matchup nightmare in the slot. Perfect fit for him. Makes great adjustments on the ball midair and possesses the big body to cause secondaries fit. Only going to get faster and better at the technical aspects of the position. FWIW, He ran a 4.54 electronic 40 at the combine. When McNutt made the switch at the end of the 08 season to WR from QB, he was running the 40 in the high 4.7's hand timed.

Kudos to Andy on a phenomenal draft. Landed many needs, Got great value, and significantly increased the talent level on a very good team already. Should all feel pretty smug right now.

brat316
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Boykin pick screams athlete/returner pick rather than nickle corner. I'm sure Jackson is complaining about playing PR and doesn't want to get drilled anymore and lead to more concussions.

Boykin is dynamic, plays offense, defense, and returns, which should equate to an amazing ST player.

I want to see what Curtis Marsh does first before proclaiming Boykin will take the nickle job.