PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Wright's Stock is On Fire

DraftSavant
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
@tonypauline Area scouts & sources tell me Kendall Wright/WR/Baylor ranks as the #1 wide out on #NFLDraft boards for a lot of teams.

Pauline wrote an article, but it's for another draft site, yada, yada, yada.

Mitchell
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
He should be thanking RG3 big time, because Blackmon, Floyd and Jeffrey are better talents.

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Wright is gonna be a beast!

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
He reminds me a lot of Mike Wallace.

He's not better than Blackmon though.

A Perfect Score
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
He should be thanking RG3 big time, because Blackmon, Floyd and Jeffrey are better talents.

Agreed 100%. While I like Wright and have him as a late first/early second kind of guy, I'd have Blackmon, Floyd and Jeffery rated ahead of him with little question.

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll take Blackmon ahead of him but Floyd and Jeffery are close. Floyd has the character concerns but other than that i think hes gonna be an elite receiver. Jeffery is hard to project because he has the size and ball skills, but his speed is questionable and i really question how much he cares. I think he could bust very easily.

DraftSavant
01-13-2012, 06:11 PM
He's my favorite receiver in this draft class :shrug: Titus Young and Randall Cobb both went in the 2nd last year, and I think Wright's a much better player than either of them.

With the rules changes, I don't think teams will shy away from smaller receivers as much. Not after the success of guys like Jennings, Steve Smith, the Pittsburgh duo...

TACKLE
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I could see this because Wright has a skill set that separates him from the other top WR's in this class. There are a number of 6'1-6'3 210-225 type guys with good hands who run pretty well but aren't overly fast or dynamic (Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery, Randle, Sanu, Jones, etc). Kendall's explosiveness really sets him apart from the rest and speed is the trump card in today's NFL. I think Kendall's stock is just as much if not more about Victor Cruz's, Steve Smith's and Antonio Brown's success than it about RG3's success.

edit: yf...I mean DraftSavant beat me to it with the last part.

DraftSavant
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I could see this because Wright has a skill set that separates him from the other top WR's in this class. There are a number of 6'3-6'1 210-225 type guys with good hands who run pretty well but aren't overly fast or dynamic (Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery, Randle, Sanu, Jones, etc). Kendall's explosiveness really sets him apart from the rest and speed is the trump card in today's NFL. I think Kendall's stock is probably more of a product of Victor Cruz, Steve Smith and Antonio Brown than it about RG3's success this year.

Get out of my head.

Mitchell
01-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll take Blackmon ahead of him but Floyd and Jeffery are close. Floyd has the character concerns but other than that i think hes gonna be an elite receiver. Jeffery is hard to project because he has the size and ball skills, but his speed is questionable and i really question how much he cares. I think he could bust very easily.
I agree to a certain extent, but honestly Floyd's history is a non factor to me. He's going to have a Jordy Nelson impact on the game, Jeffery on the other hand I'm a little more skeptical of, but I think a receiver needy team in the later part of the first round will trust him.

Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery all come across as guys who can produce regardless of who's throwing the football, I can't say the same thing about Wright.

ElectricEye
01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Hmm. I'm with you guys on the speed being a more valuable commodity with the type of receivers at the top end of this class, but I just don't see him being the top guy available. I'm notoriously not a big small receiver guy though, so it might just be me...but I can't see him winning battles at the line of scrimmage against press all that often. I think he's probably better as an inside receiver in the NFL and that's not the type of guy I look for when I'm looking at a top receiver.

Don't get me wrong though, I like Wright a whole ton and I could easily see him putting up some thousand yard type years with good big play ability. I just like some other guys a whole lot more. This is a pretty damn good receiver class, actually.

Mitchell
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Hmm. I'm with you guys on the speed being a more valuable commodity with the type of receivers at the top end of this class, but I just don't see him being the top guy available. I'm notoriously not a big small receiver guy though, so it might just be me...but I can't see him winning battles at the line of scrimmage against press all that often. I think he's probably better as an inside receiver in the NFL and that's not the type of guy I look for when I'm looking at a top receiver.

Don't get me wrong though, I like Wright a whole ton and I could easily see him putting up some thousand yard type years with good big play ability. I just like some other guys a whole lot more. This is a pretty damn good receiver class, actually.
I agree.

Is he Santana Moss or is he Steve Smith? If the later, I'll take him.. Otherwise give me the big guys.

DraftSavant
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM

It's a good year to need receivers, period. The FA class could be loaded as well - with big, contested catch WRs like there are in the draft.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

Reggie Wayne, Colston, and Vincent Jackson I think all make it to free agency.

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
One scenario i love, i mean, cant get over type of love! Browns get Robert Griffin at 4 and then somehow get Kendall Wright in mid first round. OMG im in love with this scenario!

They fill their two biggest needs with two of the most explosive players in the draft who played together in college and thrived of each others games.

Wow i want this to happen so bad!

ElectricEye
01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
It's a good year to need receivers, period. The FA class could be loaded as well.

Yeah, I was talking about that a bit on the Patriots team board today. I'm actually wondering if some of that will drive down the value of some of these draft eligible guys. There's a possibility some real big names and useful players change jerseys this year.

keylime_5
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
If Ted Ginn Jr. = #9 overall, then nothing is out of the realm of possibility for Wright. Ginn was a playmaker in college, but much more raw than Wright. Harvin would've went top 10 as well if not for character and injury issues, and Wright is very similar to Harvin. I was really hoping Wright would fall into the Browns' laps at 22 overall, though I've been mocking him consistently in the 15-20 range for a couple months now, and it looks like that may even be too low. The success of Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings, and Desean Jackson in the NFL is going to really boost Wright's stock.

descendency
01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
As long as that means Michael Floyd is in NE, I don't care.

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 07:06 PM

No chance Floyd falls to the Patriots! You could trade up to get him but i doubt that happens.

descendency
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
No chance Floyd falls to the Patriots! You could trade up to get him but i doubt that happens.

4 WRs in the first round isn't happening.

If Kendall Wright is really a few teams #1 WR (over blackmon), then blackmon is #2. #3 would be a toss up between Floyd and Jeffery.

Mitchell
01-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Only WR with any chance at hitting the Pats is Jeffery if he has a poor combine, otherwise it's Sanu/Jones/Fuller/Toon/etc

SuperPacker
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM

If Kendall Wright is really a few teams #1 WR (over blackmon), then blackmon is #2. #3 would be a toss up between Floyd and Jeffery.

Why not? (10)

TACKLE
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Why not? (10)

I'm not sure either. This is a very deep WR class much like '09 where we saw 6 go in the first. Actually, I'd be surprised if 4 aren't taken in the first this year as it stands now.

keylime_5
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright I think are long gone by the Patriots picks. Sanu and Jeffery both have a good shot at round one though (esp. Sanu imo). Patriots are really hurting in the passing game though...........NOT!

PhysicalwithanF
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Come to SF Kendall...cmon..

norcalgsr
01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I could see this because Wright has a skill set that separates him from the other top WR's in this class. There are a number of 6'1-6'3 210-225 type guys with good hands who run pretty well but aren't overly fast or dynamic (Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery, Randle, Sanu, Jones, etc). Kendall's explosiveness really sets him apart from the rest and speed is the trump card in today's NFL. I think Kendall's stock is just as much if not more about Victor Cruz's, Steve Smith's and Antonio Brown's success than it about RG3's success.

edit: yf...I mean DraftSavant beat me to it with the last part.

Cruz has 1" - 2" and 20lbs on those other 2.

BeerBaron
01-13-2012, 11:14 PM
#1 over even Blackmon, eh? I don't know about that...but if he could potentially push some other receivers down a bit to where the Bears would have a shot, I'll take it.

TACKLE
01-13-2012, 11:55 PM
#1 over even Blackmon, eh? I don't know about that...but if he could potentially push some other receivers down a bit to where the Bears would have a shot, I'll take it.

Or they could just draft him. He's just the type of WR they need!
;)

holt_bruce81
01-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Rams will end up taking this guy #2 overall. It'll be like Donnie Avery over Desean Jackson all over again.

BaLLiN
01-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Cruz has 1" - 2" and 20lbs on those other 2.

I am telling you right now that Cruz is most likely 5'10 1/2'' and maybe 190-195. He is not 6'1'' unless he grew 2 inches from his pro day.

DrAbaddon
01-14-2012, 03:13 AM
Cruz was 5'11 7/8" and 205 at his pro day, just throwing that out there...I would link it but I'm guessing that's not looked kindly upon around here?

nobodyinparticular
01-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Harvin is very similar to Harvin.

No kidding... :-P

whatadai
01-14-2012, 03:28 AM
I am telling you right now that Cruz is most likely 5'10 1/2'' and maybe 190-195. He is not 6'1'' unless he grew 2 inches from his pro day.

Well...guess he grew an inch since you told him right then cause he's about 6 feet, give or take a quarter of an inch.

DrAbaddon
01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
No kidding... :-P

I really wanted to point this out...maybe when I'm an icon. Good ol' reflexive property.

onejayhawk
01-14-2012, 05:47 AM
This is an insanely deep WR class, rich in big, physical types. KW is the only real burner with solid intangibles and secondary skills. I think the point about Victor Cruz is well taken, as is the one about the FA list. That being said, Blackmon is my first choice.

J

Iamcanadian
01-14-2012, 08:02 AM
WR is a position where their combine performance determines their rankings. 40 time will be crucial in their rankings and Wright should time somewhere in the 4.3's.

Because he is only 5'10", he likely will be the 3rd WR off the board but if Blackmon or Floyd time poorly, he could move up. I don't think it will happen as I expect both to time reasonably well but you never know.

His game still needs a lot of work because he is unpolished as a route runner but his speed could still get him easily into round 1.

bored of education
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM

vice versa. He MADE RG3. RG3 is so overrated on the net and in scouting circles its not even funny anymore.

Iamcanadian
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
vice versa. He MADE RG3. RG3 is so overrated on the net and in scouting circles its not even funny anymore.

I agree that Wright is solid, #3 on my list but completely disagree on RG111. Solid NFL QB prospect just behind Luck in talent.

norcalgsr
01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Cruz was 5'11 7/8" and 205 at his pro day, just throwing that out there...I would link it but I'm guessing that's not looked kindly upon around here?

Thanks.

My point is that Cruz isn't "small". He's just short. Have you seen the guns and thighs on this guy?

Mitchell
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Oh... ok... Disagree 100%.

Babylon
01-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Not sure if you're serious but i'll take your word on it. I actually liked Newton better than Griffin.

On a sidenote i hope Wright's stock isnt on fire because of the Washington game, you cant really judge anything from playing JV defenses.

holt_bruce81
01-14-2012, 02:34 PM

How so? I mean he's earned this hype.

Bobertchin
01-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Kendall Wright is my number one right now. I just think he's got the highest floor. I know that sounds odd, since he is undersized compared to traditional NFL WRs, but it's just hard for me to see how he could be a complete bust. With Blackmon and Floyd, I can see this as a possibility. I'm not saying they are likely to bust or anything, but they both seem a bit overrated to me. Wright will at least be a great slot WR. Is that worth a first rounder? Probably not, but I think he'll be much more than that. Great slot guy is his floor, IMO, and his upside is to be a number one receiver. I think he's a VERY safe pick.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Man, I pray Chicago gets Michael Floyd.

Bulldogs
01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Why do we have three people called Abaddon on this site?

On topic: I like Wright. It's unfair to call him a product of RGIII. I think he'll be a legit burner at the NFL level, ala Mike Wallace.

VAfy-ya
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Why not a poor man's Kendall Wright? Why take Wright in the first when you can grab a kid like Joe Adams in the 3rd?

Mitchell
01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Kendall Wright is my number one right now. I just think he's got the highest floor. I know that sounds odd, since he is undersized compared to traditional NFL WRs, but it's just hard for me to see how he could be a complete bust. With Blackmon and Floyd, I can see this as a possibility. I'm not saying they are likely to bust or anything, but they both seem a bit overrated to me. Wright will at least be a great slot WR. Is that worth a first rounder? Probably not, but I think he'll be much more than that. Great slot guy is his floor, IMO, and his upside is to be a number one receiver. I think he's a VERY safe pick.
I don't agree with this logic at all.

Blackmon and Floyd bring size (especially in Floyd's case) and more talent. Eddie Royal was a great slot guy in this first year, but it was never a doubt to anyone that Brandon Marshall was better. BMar definitely isn't comparable to Blackmon or Floyd, but a quick small slot receiver is no sure thing. Remember, Marshall is the guy with the major character concerns, and he gets it done every week.

Bobertchin
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I get what you are saying. My point is that I think Wright can play any WR position, because he plays bigger than his size while still having the versatility to play inside. So he would have a chance to help a team out right away, if only as a slot guy until he got better adjusted to the pro game.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more talent' in this context. They are bigger, but you are separating that from talent. I'm not sure how. Could you elaborate on why you think those guys are more talented than Wright?

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't agree with this logic at all.

Blackmon and Floyd bring size (especially in Floyd's case) and more talent. Eddie Royal was a great slot guy in this first year, but it was never a doubt to anyone that Brandon Marshall was better. BMar definitely isn't comparable to Blackmon or Floyd, but a quick small slot receiver is no sure thing. Remember, Marshall is the guy with the major character concerns, and he gets it done every week.

That's just one comparison that doesn't really do much for the argument at hand. Would you rather have Antonio Brown or Malcolm Kelly? How about James Hardy? Last time I checked a big tall, athletic WR is no sure thing either.

Mitchell
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
That's just one comparison that doesn't really do much for the argument at hand. Would you rather have Antonio Brown or Malcolm Kelly? How about James Hardy? Last time I checked a big tall, athletic WR is no sure thing either.
I'm a Redskins fan. Kelly could be a #1 to this day if he wasn't injured 80% of the time, he has no hamstrings and we all know that's why he dropped.
A big tall athletic WR is something more teams look for, and essentially end up reaching for. Floyd and Blackmon warrant their draft positions. Kendal Wright does not warrant being taken as the #1 guy.

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm a Redskins fan. Kelly could be a #1 to this day if he wasn't injured 80% of the time, he has no hamstrings and we all know that's why he dropped.
A big tall athletic WR is something more teams look for, and essentially end up reaching for. Floyd and Blackmon warrant their draft positions. Kendal Wright does not warrant being taken as the #1 guy.

Yea, I'm sure it had nothing to do with him being slow as hell. And even when he was healthy he was below average every time he stepped onto the field. He played in 16 games a few years ago, started more then half. He had plenty of time to show flashes of being a good player, which he never did. He doesn't even have 1 career TD, so no, putting it off on just hamstrings is false.

I disagree in the line of thinkin that more teams are looking for big tall athetic WR's. Your looking for impact players, the best player you can have all around. I don't think there is a huge advantage 1 way or another if you have Brandon Marshall as your #1 or Mike Wallace. Both have advantages over the other, and both have disadvantages to their games, it's not as black and white as just saying everyone would prefer a big tall athletic WR anymore.