PDA

View Full Version : Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon

Powerhouse22112
01-14-2012, 08:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7462837/2012-nfl-draft-darron-thomas-oregon-ducks-leave-early-enter-draft

Very surprising. Thoughts???

Grizzlegom
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Hearing he was afraid of losing his starting job to Bennett and just decided to declare. Might have to switch positions. Denver should take him late to backup Tebow.

Hurricanes25
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I would move him to WR but crazier things have happened...

Ozzy
01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Andrew Luck Stanford
Robert Griffin Baylor
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
Ryan Lindley San Diego State
Nick Foles Arizona
Brock Osweiler Arizona State
Kirk Cousins Michigan State
Kellen Moore Boise State
Russell Wilson Wisconsin
Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State

How does this man plan to be drafted ahead of all of these players?

Awful choice by Darron Thomas, an average to below average NFL prospect at the very best in my opinion. I am not amazing by anything he does in college so far.

Who knows, but even next year I had him as maybe the 9th best senior prospect. Odd choice, but seriously I would take all of these guys over him as well next year.

Matt Barkley USC
Landry Jones Oklahoma
Tyler Wilson Arkansas
Mike Glennon NC State
Geno Smith West Virginia
EJ Manuel Florida State
BJ Daniels South Florida
Jordan Rodgers Vanderbilt

So maybe he is like what the heck, might as well make some money potentially, should make a roster but doubt he becomes an NFL star or that many teams would be interested in him. We will see what happens.....

TheSlinger
01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Pat Sims 90
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
He will be a 1st Rounder in the UFL or CFL.

JetMan01
01-14-2012, 10:49 PM
He will be a 1st Rounder in the UFL or CFL.

Win. Thomas should have stayed

ElectricEye
01-14-2012, 11:16 PM
If he's smart, he'll sign with an agent who has connections with the CFL. Between how flawed he is as a prospect, the rest of this class, and some character issues, that's the best he can really hope for.

...that's probably where he was headed anyway.

descendency
01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
If you are going to lose your job, you should declare. But I think he'd better start prepping for his insurance salesman job.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Why would he lose his job? He played pretty damn well this year, how is he going to lose his job to a sophomore?

hawkeye123
01-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Why would he lose his job? He played pretty damn well this year, how is he going to lose his job to a sophomore?

Bennett is faster and has a stronger arm then Darron.

SickwithIt1010
01-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Very very surprising. He doesnt strike me as much of a pro prospect...but he has really helped get the Oregon program to where they are. Interested to see how this turns out.

Crimson79
01-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Hearing he was afraid of losing his starting job to Bennett and just decided to declare. Might have to switch positions. Denver should take him late to backup Tebow.

That sounds like a load of garbage. A guy doesn't have 63 TDs and 16 ints in two seasons, and get replaced like it was nothing by a back up. He has a Rose bowl win, and came close to a national championship. No, there is more to it than afraid of his back up.

nobodyinparticular
01-15-2012, 12:58 AM
That sounds like a load of garbage. A guy doesn't have 63 TDs and 16 ints in two seasons, and get replaced like it was nothing by a back up. He has a Rose bowl win, and came close to a national championship. No, there is more to it than afraid of his back up.

Darron Thomas is actually pretty horrid at throwing the football and Brian Bennett is certainly a much better passer than he is right now. Bennett is also an incredibly athletic QB. There have been whispers throughout the season in Eugene that Bennett was a better QB in all regards but Thomas was just a better leader.

I'm not surprised by this except for the fact Thomas can't throw the ball for crap.

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2012, 12:59 AM
He's a good college QB.

Watching Tebow in the NFL, it's hard for me to poor mouth ANY prospect who looks halfway decent throwing the football.

Right now Thomas looks like a backup at the next level. Maybe he can develop into something.

Crimson79
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Darron Thomas is actually pretty horrid at throwing the football and Brian Bennett is certainly a much better passer than he is right now. Bennett is also an incredibly athletic QB. There have been whispers throughout the season in Eugene that Bennett was a better QB in all regards but Thomas was just a better leader.

I'm not surprised by this except for the fact Thomas can't throw the ball for crap.

As a sophomore he finished 17th in the nation in pass efficiency. As a junior he finished 11th in the nation in pass efficiency. He might not be a great passer, but I'd say he is far from horrid.

TheBoyWonder22
01-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Have people watched our offense? Our QB's do not translate to the NFL. So much YAC by the Ducks, you just have to be athletic and semi accurate/intelligent and you've got it made.

YoJoeBucsFan
01-15-2012, 06:58 AM
I wonder if an NFL team will want him as a WR.

SuperPacker
01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Id rather have Thomas than Kellen Moore.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-15-2012, 11:18 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson

Babylon
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Id rather have Thomas than Kellen Moore.

Or lethal injection over hanging i guess. Neither of these guys are going anywhere.

Duffman57
01-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Yah, Thomas's throw REALLY needs to be retooled. He's got really bad touch on short/mid routs (it doesn't matter where the receiver is, he throws the ball as hard as he can, it doesn't matter if it's a little 2 yard drag over the middle, he FIRES the ball. And he really has a bad delevery.

But that thing about how he might get replaced is complete BS. One of my friends here is an assistant coach and i was talking to him about this yesterday, and he basically told me that that was COMPLETE horse poopy. His job was NEVER in jeopardy, at all. He was our guy until he graduated.

SolidGold
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Yah, Thomas's throw REALLY needs to be retooled. He's got really bad touch on short/mid routs (it doesn't matter where the receiver is, he throws the ball as hard as he can, it doesn't matter if it's a little 2 yard drag over the middle, he FIRES the ball. And he really has a bad delevery.

But that thing about how he might get replaced is complete BS. One of my friends here is an assistant coach and i was talking to him about this yesterday, and he basically told me that that was COMPLETE horse poopy. His job was NEVER in jeopardy, at all. He was our guy until he graduated.

Did he give any reason/rationale for the decision? Was it just bad advice from his family/inner-circle? did he get a better than expected projection from the draft advisory board?

PossibleCabbage
01-15-2012, 02:11 PM
I just don't see an NFL QB here. Maybe if he looks good in WR drills you consider him on day 3, but that's far from an exact process.

This is a guy who played in a simple offense (which is as unlike an NFL offense as any FBS team's other than GT and Navy), and despite his gaudy statistics he regularly forced targets to adjust to errant passes. The thing that worries me most is that he didn't seem to improve in his second year as a starter, he was actually worse at a lot of things.

You never blame a guy for coming out, since you don't know what his family and economic situation is, but this is a head-scratcher to me.

RaiderNation
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
2% chance he can become anything at QB in the NFL, idk if he even gets drafted at this point

Duffman57
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Did he give any reason/rationale for the decision? Was it just bad advice from his family/inner-circle? did he get a better than expected projection from the draft advisory board?

I dont necessarily think that it was a bad decision though. Although he's a solid college player, his stock wasn't going to get any higher, and he was only getting older. He's already gotten his degree, and he comes from a poorer background, so i think he jumped because he wanted the money for his family, and there wasn't much left for him to do in college, since he's graduated and won the Rose Bowl.

Duffman57
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I just don't see an NFL QB here. Maybe if he looks good in WR drills you consider him on day 3, but that's far from an exact process.

This is a guy who played in a simple offense (which is as unlike an NFL offense as any FBS team's other than GT and Navy), and despite his gaudy statistics he regularly forced targets to adjust to errant passes. The thing that worries me most is that he didn't seem to improve in his second year as a starter, he was actually worse at a lot of things.

You never blame a guy for coming out, since you don't know what his family and economic situation is, but this is a head-scratcher to me.

Yah, i think the last part is true, just a poorer background, and his family needs the money, and he was a 4th year Jr., so he wasn't going to have a better backup option with another year since he has the degree.

But there's ZERO chance that he is anything but a QB. He's not fast, no wiggle and struggles in and out of his cuts. People think he's fast because he runs the spread, but he wont run lower than a high 4.7 IMO. I think he has some potential, but he needs some SERIOUS retooling of his throwing motion, but he makes good decisions and the mental part seems to be there, when he's just a strait dropback passer. But again, he's gonna need 2 or 3 years at least if he's even gonna be a backup. He seems like he could be a pretty decent CFL/UFL QB if he improves.

I'm still hoping that the UFL gets taken over by the NFL, and turns into the "D league" of the NFL, that would make it more interesting, and give more guys a chance to develop.

nobodyinparticular
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Yah, i think the last part is true, just a poorer background, and his family needs the money, and he was a 4th year Jr., so he wasn't going to have a better backup option with another year since he has the degree.

But there's ZERO chance that he is anything but a QB. He's not fast, no wiggle and struggles in and out of his cuts. People think he's fast because he runs the spread, but he wont run lower than a high 4.7 IMO. I think he has some potential, but he needs some SERIOUS retooling of his throwing motion, but he makes good decisions and the mental part seems to be there, when he's just a strait dropback passer. But again, he's gonna need 2 or 3 years at least if he's even gonna be a backup. He seems like he could be a pretty decent CFL/UFL QB if he improves.

I'm still hoping that the UFL gets taken over by the NFL, and turns into the "D league" of the NFL, that would make it more interesting, and give more guys a chance to develop.

Yeah, Darron is not incredibly fast. Back in 2010, people were saying Nate Costa had better straight line speed than Thomas. Thomas is shifty and great at getting skinny to avoid a direct hit, but he's not incredibly fast in a foot race.

Hurricanes25
01-15-2012, 03:36 PM
With his size, if he could run a 4.6, I think someone will take a chance and move him to WR. And obviously it would be nice to see him take part in some WR drills.

MassNole
01-15-2012, 03:50 PM
He deserves a Darwin Award nomination for killing his football career.

Iamcanadian
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Usually the top college players declare when the NFL Advisory Committee gives them at least a round 1, 2 or 3 ranking, or they are desperate for money or they are about to flunk out of school. I suspect the first one is his reason.
So I would question those who say he isn't a pro prospect at QB, how high at this point, is anybody's guess.
Talk about him dropping out because he was about to be replaced is sheer rubbish.

Caulibflower
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Scout.com had him timed at 4.50 at a high school combine in Dallas, and has him saying he preferred playing wide receiver to quarterback. Fwiw.

Babylon
01-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Usually the top college players declare when the NFL Advisory Committee gives them at least a round 1, 2 or 3 ranking, or they are desperate for money or they are about to flunk out of school. I suspect the first one is his reason.
So I would question those who say he isn't a pro prospect at QB, how high at this point, is anybody's guess.
Talk about him dropping out because he was about to be replaced is sheer rubbish.

I wouldnt suggest to anyone that you think he's got a top 3 round ranking from anyone, they'll think you're nuts.

MidwayMonster31
01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
No matter what position he plays, it's 5th to 7th round development guy. His mechanics need an overhaul, as well as understanding the pro offense. As a receiver, he needs to learn the route tree and how to run those.

49erNation85
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
He would be better off to make the change to WR. I think he could be a good slot guy or return person if needed. Like others said at least a 5th or 6th round pick unless he has a stellar combine at WR position. I think the QB class would just push him back even more since it is very depth this year IMO. He did have a good college career but if he likes wide out better then to change is now and see what hes got. Good luck to him in the Draft.