PDA

View Full Version : Dome teams on the road in the playoffs. Legit concern or just a myth?

Ness
01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Is there really something to this theory? I've never been a fan of dome teams and their chances at winning on the road in the playoffs. I felt that way before the game against the Saints and 49ers today.

As of 2007 dome teams are just 8-29 on the road in the playoffs.

If you were starting a franchise would you want your football team in a dome? The Vikings are apparently getting another stadium done...I think they should go back to their old school field of having it be a regular stadium if at all possible. I wonder if the Colts thought of this before moving to Lucas Oil Stadium.

Ngatachance92
01-15-2012, 07:22 AM
It's probably not the best idea as most of the playoffs are played in the elements unless your lucky enough to travel to another team with a dome or can secure home field throughout the playoffs. Especially if we start doing more Superbowls in locales without domes in inclement weather again.

Giantsfan1080
01-15-2012, 09:21 AM
When we built our new stadium the Jets wanted a dome on it but the Giants said absolutely not. We have an advantage so I don't know why the dumb Jets wanted to get rid of it. I'm glad the big brother put his foot down on the issue.

Mufasa
01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Is there really something to this theory? I've never been a fan of dome teams and their chances at winning on the road in the playoffs. I felt that way before the game against the Saints and 49ers today.

As of 2007 dome teams are just 8-29 on the road in the playoffs.

If you were starting a franchise would you want your football team in a dome? The Vikings are apparently getting another stadium done...I think they should go back to their old school field of having it be a regular stadium if at all possible. I wonder if the Colts thought of this before moving to Lucas Oil Stadium.

How the **** did you get that number. I got 1-9

Win:
2008 Cardinals @Carolina

Losses:
2008 Colts @ San Diego
2008 Falcons @ Arizona
2008 Cardinals @ New Orleans
2009 Cowboys @ Minnesota
2009 Cardinals @ New Orleans
2009 Vikings @ New Orleans
2010 Saints @ Seattle
2011 Falcons @ New York
2011 Saints @ San Francisco

So of those 9 losses, 5 of them came in another dome and one of them in beautiful San Diego.

boknows34
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
How the **** did you get that number. I got 1-9

Win:
2008 Cardinals @Carolina

Losses:
2008 Colts @ San Diego
2008 Falcons @ Arizona
2008 Cardinals @ New Orleans
2009 Cowboys @ Minnesota
2009 Cardinals @ New Orleans
2009 Vikings @ New Orleans
2010 Saints @ Seattle
2011 Falcons @ New York
2011 Saints @ San Francisco

So of those 9 losses, 5 of them came in another dome and one of them in beautiful San Diego.

Your list is SINCE 2008. Up to and including 2007 it would be 8-29 according to Ness. Add the 1-9 from 2008 and its 9-38 overall. That's the way I read it anyway. And yes, I do think dome teams are at a big disadvantage playing outdoors on the road in January. If the NFL were a spring league (like the old USFL) dome teams would imo do much better on the road in the postseason. The weather is certainly a factor for them. It wasn't until 1999 that a dome team actually won the Super Bowl and they had homefield advantage (St Louis). The 2006 Colts won a playoff game in Baltimore but it was 54 degrees and pleasant for that time of year.

TimD
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
When we built our new stadium the Jets wanted a dome on it but the Giants said absolutely not. We have an advantage so I don't know why the dumb Jets wanted to get rid of it. I'm glad the big brother put his foot down on the issue.

Are you sure about this? Before the New Meadowlands Stadium plans went into action the Jets were attempting to build a stadium on the west side that wasn't going to have a dome.

^and that quote is precisely why Jets fans hate Giants fans. Yeah our current coach is a dick, but as far as Im concerned Giants fans talk wayyy more **** than Jets fans do

Giantsfan1080
01-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Are you sure about this? Before the New Meadowlands Stadium plans went into action the Jets were attempting to build a stadium on the west side that wasn't going to have a dome.

^and that quote is precisely why Jets fans hate Giants fans. Yeah our current coach is a dick, but as far as Im concerned Giants fans talk wayyy more **** than Jets fans do

Haha I never hated the Jets at all until Ryan started up with his dumb antics.

Anyway yes I'm sure the Jets wanted a dome and the Giants didn't. It's been a highly publicized issue. The West Side Stadium would have had a retractable roof so you're wrong about that also.

Ngatachance92
01-15-2012, 10:19 AM
A New York vs. New York Superbowl would be amazing... That hasn't happened before has it?

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Dome teams are built to play in domes..... Vikings of the Randy Moss era, Colts with Manning, Saints with Brees, Lions and Stafford..... none of them are running teams, and both of them have fast defenses with fast guys off the edge that take advantage of the fast turf for the most part.

Mathis & Freeney were never as good on grass as on turf, but everyone's slower on grass anyway.

The thing is, they have more finessey guys, not tougher-minded guys.

Anyway, we talked about the Saints going on the road, and those that picked the Niners were aware that things are flatout different outdoors. There's wind, sun, slower turf, and it's not always 74 degrees.

If those things didn't matter, than the NBA could be outdoors. Football is a game of inches, timing, etc..... a little climate makes a big difference.

The thing is, that is why it was so important the Saints got that #2 seed..... all they had to do was not lose at both St Louis and Tampa Bay this season. Saint fan told us this wasn't the 2010 Saints, that they were better and were the 2011 Saints. But they still lost on the road which proved fatal.

It's no surprise that their Super Bowl year, they got the homefield for both of their playoff games. And they still got lucky to barely beat the Vikings in that NFCCG, another dome team. Minnesota outplayed the hell out of them, but they had the fumbles, and the classic Farve-choke at the end.

Ness
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Why the hell would the Jets organization want that.

CJSchneider
01-15-2012, 01:37 PM
If those things didn't matter, than the NBA could be outdoors. Football is a game of inches, timing, etc..... a little climate makes a big difference.

Have you ever seen what rain does to a wood court?

CJSchneider
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Saint fan told us this wasn't the 2010 Saints, that they were better and were the 2011 Saints. But they still lost on the road which proved fatal.

Now you are comparing a team that lost to a 9-7 opponent in a dome at home, to a team that lost to a 13-3 opponent on the road outdoors. That not exactly apples and apples.

kalbears13
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Have you looked at just the fact that they're on the road playing against a higher seed which means they're playing most likely a better team.

brat316
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
yes. why not limit it to dome vs outdoor playoffs, instead of dome vs road.

brat316
01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Have you looked at just the fact that they're on the road playing against a higher seed which means they're playing most likely a better team.

not always the better team though. Last year NO was wildcard team vs division winner Seahawks .

Ness
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM

I don't know. When you see teams like the Giants, Steelers, and Packers have ridiculous road runs in the playoffs...and a dome team hasn't done it once...just seems like dome teams might have an advantage.

Brent
01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
CLEARLY THE SAINTS ARE BETTAR THAN THE NINERS, IDIOT

at least that is what I was told

Halsey
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I think there's a legit concern. The Dome teams just aren't quite as ready to play outside in winter. I don't think it's a huge advantage, but it does appear to offer some level of help to the home team.

CJSchneider
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Sadly, yesterday wasn't winter; well not in the traditional sense. :(

Ness
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
EDIT: Whoops.

descendency
01-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I did a stat analysis of QBs in road situations in domes and outside of them. Modern QBs averaged 50 yards per game more, 0.5 TD more, and 0.25 INT fewer. Attempts stayed the same.

I think it's fairly obvious that it has something to do with QBs being more effective indoors than outdoors.

kalbears13
01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I did a stat analysis of QBs in road situations in domes and outside of them. Modern QBs averaged 50 yards per game more, 0.5 TD more, and 0.25 INT fewer. Attempts stayed the same.

I think it's fairly obvious that it has something to do with QBs being more effective indoors than outdoors.

Well it's pretty much a fact that domes are better for offenses. There's no wind to screw with the passes and the ball doesn't slip out of your hand when its wet.

I think one thing that would help home dome teams the most would be the loudness of the crowd while they're on offense.

Bengalsrocket
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Of course QB's are better in indoors than outdoors. This is true for all teams, not just dome teams. If you ask Eli Manning if he would rather throw with wind or not, I bet he takes the no wind option every single time.

As far as it being a "disadvantage" I think that has more two do with the other two factors here. It's a ROAD game in the PLAY OFFS.

Ness
01-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Of course QB's are better in indoors than outdoors. This is true for all teams, not just dome teams. If you ask Eli Manning if he would rather throw with wind or not, I bet he takes the no wind option every single time.

As far as it being a "disadvantage" I think that has more two do with the other two factors here. It's a ROAD game in the PLAY OFFS.

We've never really seen a dome team make a run though in the playoffs through the road just to get to the Super Bowl. The only team that has won a Super Bowl against a team that was outside was the 2006 Colts against the Bears if I remember correctly. Other than that, dome teams that have won the Super Bowl have done it by having home field advantage through a dome in the playoffs including the Super Bowl and/or facing another dome team in the Super Bowl outdoors.

Ness
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
EDIT: Nothing.

Bengalsrocket
01-15-2012, 07:14 PM
We've never really seen a dome team make a run though in the playoffs through the road just to get to the Super Bowl. The only team that has won a Super Bowl against a team that was outside was the 2006 Colts against the Bears if I remember correctly. Other than that, dome teams that have won the Super Bowl have done it by having home field advantage through a dome in the playoffs including the Super Bowl and/or facing another dome team in the Super Bowl outdoors.

How often does it happen for team's that don't normally play in a Dome?

I see the correlation as well, I just don't see the causation. Being heavily reliant on a high powered passing attack (like the Colts, Saints, the Vikings not to long ago, the Rams) etc. isn't a dome only thing. The Patriots and Green Bay in recent years have relied heavily on their quarterback and one of those teams won a play off game this year and another won a Superbowl last year.

Ness
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
How often does it happen for team's that don't normally play in a Dome?

I see the correlation as well, I just don't see the causation. Being heavily reliant on a high powered passing attack (like the Colts, Saints, the Vikings not to long ago, the Rams) etc. isn't a dome only thing. The Patriots and Green Bay in recent years have relied heavily on their quarterback and one of those teams won a play off game this year and another won a Superbowl last year.

Oh well I'm not talking about offensive styles, just environment. I just get the feelings team get used to playing the entire season in one place on a certain kind of turf, and that might effect their chances down the stretch.

As far as your first question, he's happened within the last ten years three times with the Packers, Giants, and Steelers. It's never happened for a dome team even once. I don't think a dome team has gotten close even.

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Saints CANNOT win playoff games away from home.
Packers CANNOT win playoff games AT home.