PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams

Mufasa
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
He only played in 5 games this season and the Texans still had one of the best defenses in the league and played very well with out him. I know it's almost crazy to suggest letting such a good player go, but do the Texans really need him? With Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin they already have two promising OLBs. Would they be better off tagging and trading Mario Williams than resigning him to a monster contract?

OzTitan
01-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Tag and trade for a good 1st rounder, at least? It's gotta be tempting.

Just not sure what they'd do with it - the Texans are pretty much set at QB and RB. The OL seems solid. Maybe another WR to compliment AJ and to try and transition the #1 WR role smoothly in the future? Or a DB?

RaiderNation
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
They at least tag him I think, what happens after that will be fun to watch.

Babylon
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
This defense looks good enough as it is to be a serious contender so depending on the dollars it may make more sense to trade Mario Williams. I'm almost thinking it might make sense for the Texans to start developing a QB for the future.

crossroads
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
What teams would be willing to trade a first rounder for him, and are they teams he'd be willing to go to? I would think he'd probably prefer a team that plays a 4-3, no?

Maybe Cincy, since they have two first rounders this year to play with....but would Mike Brown allow them to spend that much money on one player?

J-Mike88
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

Schaub was never as good as Matty Flynn.
Then trade Schaub to Seattle for a high pick.

Nalej
01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

umm... what???

Babylon
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
What teams would be willing to trade a first rounder for him, and are they teams he'd be willing to go to? I would think he'd probably prefer a team that plays a 4-3, no?

Maybe Cincy, since they have two first rounders this year to play with....but would Mike Brown allow them to spend that much money on one player?

At 27 he should be in his prime assuming he's healthy coming off an injury. Probably a better question would be who wouldnt want him. New England has the two firsts and i'm sure they'd love to have him on their front line. I could see him in Tennessee and maybe Green Bay.

Smash28Dash34
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Trade:
Panthers- Mario Williams

Texans- Panthers 2012 1st Round Pick,
Panthers 2013 Second Round Pick

crossroads
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
At 27 he should be in his prime assuming he's healthy coming off an injury. Probably a better question would be who wouldnt want him. New England has the two firsts and i'm sure they'd love to have him on their front line. I could see him in Tennessee and maybe Green Bay.

Yeah, but he's also coming off of a season-ending injury and will likely be looking for a contract similar to the one Peppers signed a couple years back. I could see that scaring off a couple of teams at least, especially some of the ones who historically hold their draft picks in high regard.

Basileus777
01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
He's not getting you a first in return when you have to pay him crazy money.

Complex
01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
He's not getting you a first in return when you have to pay him crazy money.

Plus he is coming off a injury and they have to sign Cook(Center) and Foster. I want him in Tennessee TBH. I don't know what the Texans will now that they have Brooks Reed and Conner Barwin who are cheaper and younger rushing the passer. I also don't think Mario would want to play DE in a 3-4. It's to the Texans really.

MetSox17
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM

You're ******* delusional.

OzTitan
01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
I can't see the Titans being interested due to the $ involved, plus being a divisional rival makes it unlikely.

Maybe the Seahawks?

Rosebud
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Chicago, pair him up with Peppers infront of Urlacher and Briggs and hope the rest of the draft gives Cutler more support while you cross your fingers and hope for health to the key pieces to make a title run.

nobodyinparticular
01-15-2012, 05:20 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

umm... what???

You're ******* delusional.

http://th13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/ahuacate/Smilies/th_eatpopcorn.gif http://th105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/SuperwormJim/smiley/th_popcorn.gif

This will be fun.

Shane P. Hallam
01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I highly doubt we see Mario away from Houston...

TACKLE
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

not sure if serious

Vox Populi
01-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think hes going anywhere. If I had to pick a trade destination for him it would be to New Orleans under the assumption that they could find room for his contract.

Bengalsrocket
01-15-2012, 05:47 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

Kubiak: Hrmm wonder if we can get an unproven, back-up quarterback for Mario Williams.
Kubiak's staff: You mean that Pro-bowl Defensive End / Linebacker that we spent a 1 st round pick on a few years back?
you imaging the rest buddy.

Sloopy
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I understand the argument that you won't get a first for him if you are going to have to pay him crazy money... but you know someone will do it for the rights to signing this guy.

People trade 1st (sometimes multiple) to sign the rights to a guy who is completely unproven every year.

brat316
01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Kubiak: Hrmm wonder if we can get an unproven, back-up quarterback for Mario Williams.
Kubiak's staff: You mean that Pro-bowl Defensive End / Linebacker that we spent a 1 st overall pick on a few years back?
you imaging the rest buddy.

correction for accuracy.

BufFan71
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
if i was buffalo. id trade a 1st rounder for Mario Williams

Brent
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
if i was buffalo. id trade a 1st rounder for Mario Williams
I cant think of a team that wouldn't gladly give up a 1st for Mario Williams.

What a stupid discussion.

armageddon
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

The Rams wouldn't give their #2 pick for Williams. Already have Long and Quinn. Too many other needs.

bigbuc
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
If I were the Jets... I'd give up a first in a heartbeat

Sloopy
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM

As a Ravens fan... I would light someone on fire if we traded for Mario Williams.

Not taking anything away form him... just would be pissed if we took him onto the cap with the other needs we have.

Vaylor
01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
If I were the Jets... I'd give up a first in a heartbeat

Would have to sign him to a long term deal. Jets really can't afford that.

OzTitan
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe the Eagles as an extension of their FA activity last year - assuming they move on from Washburn's "sacks at all costs" approach and let Mario play a more rounded role at DE.

The Texans would probably rather just tag and keep him though. Their window is open now so I don't know if they'd rather picks over a pro bowl defender, regardless of how good they were without him. We talk about which team wouldn't want Mario, and the Texans are just like any other - they can effectively 'acquire' Mario for the 2012 season by just keeping him.

j05son
01-15-2012, 06:45 PM
He can be Cleveland's Reggie White. Go make it happen Holmgren.

Mario Williams: "hello"
Mike Holmgren: "Hey Mario, Mike Holmgren from the Cleveland Browns"
MW: "?"
MH: "Have you ever heard of Reggie White?"

yeah, let's do it.

Williams opposite Shread who was playing great along with uncle Phil and Rubin in the middle.

bigbuc
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
After thinking about it the Browns would be a perfect place for him to land. The 22nd ATL pick and a 3rd rounder for Williams and with the 4th pick RG3 and Browns fans go nuts!

Shread, Taylor, Rubin and Williams would be just down right nasty!

PoopSandwich
01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

Every time you ******* post I think the human race gets slightly dumber.

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Tag and trade for a good 1st rounder, at least? It's gotta be tempting.

Just not sure what they'd do with it - the Texans are pretty much set at QB and RB. The OL seems solid. Maybe another WR to compliment AJ and to try and transition the #1 WR role smoothly in the future? Or a DB?

I think this would be the ideal move. Jacoby is a disappointment who'll never develop into anything more then he is, Walters is below average and declining at that, and AJ is prone to get nicked up, that and he's approaching the wrong side of 30.

I think it would make a ton of sense to get them a future #1 right now while he isn't expected to carry that role now, especially for a team who likes to throw the ball. Makes them much harder to defend. Not sure they do it with their original 1st, but with an extra 1 to play with for Mario it'd be very smart.

I think they are good enough to coup a nice return for Mario, they don't really need him and he's still pretty valuable. Though thinking about Mario Williams on a team like Detroit who could boast a line of Mario - Suh - Fairley - Avril makes me shudder. Mario has a lot left in the tank and a ton of teams would be interested.

I'm almost thinking it might make sense for the Texans to start developing a QB for the future.

You mean, kinda like what they have already started doing, with Yates? That's kinda the concept ya know? Draft a QB in the middle rounds, and take your time with him. Seeing as how Yates has already gotten valuable starting time as a rookie, won a playoff game, and showed some flashes of a good QB with nice athleticism, what is the point of doing that all over again?

SickwithIt1010
01-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe the Eagles as an extension of their FA activity last year - assuming they move on from Washburn's "sacks at all costs" approach and let Mario play a more rounded role at DE.

The Texans would probably rather just tag and keep him though. Their window is open now so I don't know if they'd rather picks over a pro bowl defender, regardless of how good they were without him. We talk about which team wouldn't want Mario, and the Texans are just like any other - they can effectively 'acquire' Mario for the 2012 season by just keeping him.

As much as I would love it, I cant see it happening....even with the talks of Washburn leaving...He will cost a pretty penny and I would have to think we may have to cut back for a year or 2 on our spending lol.

Vox Populi
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
This trade is never going to happen this off season IMO. The Texans are a legit Super Bowl contender if Schaub is playing during the playoffs, you don't trade established elite veterans for unproven rookies after your franchise's first ever season making the playoffs. I could get behind moving Williams for another veteran at a position of need, but I'm not really sure what that would be for the Texans now that their defense appears to be good. I think I'd just appreciate the scheme flexibility that Williams offers them and the depth that a healthy Williams provides them up front on defense.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Eagles could be a good fit, I guess.

Swap DeSean and a 1st for Williams and a later pick. Maybe add another mediocre player for Houston to receive.

In any case, I think they keep him. Being able to rotate Williams, Reed, and Barwin would be great.

MetSox17
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
This trade is never going to happen this off season IMO. The Texans are a legit Super Bowl contender if Schaub is playing during the playoffs, you don't trade established elite veterans for unproven rookies after your franchise's first ever season making the playoffs. I could get behind moving Williams for another veteran at a position of need, but I'm not really sure what that would be for the Texans now that their defense appears to be good. I think I'd just appreciate the scheme flexibility that Williams offers them and the depth that a healthy Williams provides them up front on defense.

The reason why this is a possible scenario is because the Texans have shown that they're contenders without Mario Williams. They were a top five defense in the league without him for 11 games, that just goes to show that they have a talented bunch of players. Do you really wanna sink the $80+ million it's gonna take to re-sign him when they've seen how good they can be even without him..? Or do they say "hey, we really don't need this guy as much as we thought, and he has been injury prone, why don't we flip him for another first rounder?". I would not be surprised at all if they did, honestly.

WMD
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
He can be Cleveland's Reggie White. Go make it happen Holmgren.

Mario Williams: "hello"
Mike Holmgren: "Hey Mario, Mike Holmgren from the Cleveland Browns"
MW: "Click"
MH: "Why did you just say "click"?"
*MW hangs up the phone*

Fixed that phone conversation for you.

Vox Populi
01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Another issue that I have is that the Texans defense has only been good for one year. If you look at their schedule, they played a collection of some of the least impressive offensive teams in the league. The Saints were the only really good offensive team they played and the Saints put up 40 on them. Personally I'd like to see the Texans put another year together of good-great defense where they don't play against the AFC North. I'm not going to say their defense wasn't good this year because it was, but they weren't exactly tested very much with the teams that they played. Give it another year with Mario tagged and see if they can build on the first non-terrible defensive year the Texans have ever had.

Bengalsrocket
01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Why do people think that the Texans are going to be consistent superbowl contenders for the future?

Even if the Colts ship Peyton away and start over with Luck, I highly doubt they'll be two free wins every year. The Texans played pretty well but still had a super soft division and I'm not sure that they'll be able to maintain that success.

LonghornsLegend
01-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Why do people think that the Texans are going to be consistent superbowl contenders for the future?

Even if the Colts ship Peyton away and start over with Luck, I highly doubt they'll be two free wins every year. The Texans played pretty well but still had a super soft division and I'm not sure that they'll be able to maintain that success.

Try to make a case for them to 'not' be a consistent SB contender. It's much tougher to do then the latter. You make it seem like this is some old team who is in their last window. The Jags, Titans, & Colts will likely all be starting rookie and 2nd year QB's with very little to no experience.

They are very big favorites to win the division the next 2 years at least IMO. All those QB's should struggle vs the Texans D.

You said they had a super soft division. What about that is changing all that much next year?

Rosebud
01-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Try to make a case for them to 'not' be a consistent SB contender. It's much tougher to do then the latter. You make it seem like this is some old team who is in their last window. The Jags, Titans, & Colts will likely all be starting rookie and 2nd year QB's with very little to no experience.

They are very big favorites to win the division the next 2 years at least IMO. All those QB's should struggle vs the Texans D.

You said they had a super soft division. What about that is changing all that much next year?

Matt Schaub still hasn't shown he can win a big time game.

AJ has been injury prone and the rest of that receiving corps is weak.

Wade Phillips' D's tend to grow more complacent with each passing season under his control.

Not that I think the Texans window is closing/limited, but those points are the big concerns as far as I can see.

Bengalsrocket
01-16-2012, 12:02 AM

Well I would think that Colts will be massively improved, even with a rookie QB. I'm not saying they'll even get 6 wins but I do think they'll keep more games competitive. I highly doubt we'll be rolling into week 8 wondering if the Colts could possibly be winless next year. While everyone thinks Blaine Gabbert is a bust at this point, I don't think he can actually get worse either. And the Titan's average season could be improved upon quickly.

Every team ideally gets "better" each year with draft picks and free agents filling needs. If the Texans lose Mario Williams, that's a step in the wrong direction - even if they have a good draft. So if everyone is getting better but the Texans are getting better at a slower rate, I don't see them winning anything.

Lastly let's go ahead and say that Manning does not return to Indianapolis and the Texans win that division convincingly. When they get to the play offs they still have to go through perennial powerhouses like the Patriots & Ravens who have been there for seemingly the entire last decade. And haven't shown any real signs of slowing down.

I love the Texans story, I think it's great that they finally made the play offs and they won a game. I'm not rooting against these guys. I'm just saying I think this could very easily have been a fluke year for them. If Schaub had stayed healthy and they had won a few more games that they should have won late in the season I think I would be more willing to buy them as contenders.

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
This season very well could have been a fluke for them, my point is that with rookie QB's what makes you think they could lead sub par to average teams to a division title so soon? If you want to list the Texans questions marks then the Titans, Colts, & Jags have even more.

Will those teams be improved? More then likely. But if you think Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, or even Andrew Luck will be coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders to lead their teams to win the division then I guess more power to you. Those teams still have some growing pains to do before that happens.

comahan
01-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Well firstly, I dont care if Schaub hasnt won a big game yet, we're 9000000x better with him than without him.

As far as Mario goes, while im not totally against tagging him and looking to move him, my fear in trading him is what happens if/when Wade Phillips leaves. Sure, it doesnt seem like we really NEED Mario right now, but assuming Wade is gone sooner or later, will Reed and Barwin continue to play like this in a new system? Mario meanwhile, will be a monster in any system. It just seems like a pretty huge risk to ship Mario out and rely on the others for the future.

Don Vito
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
The Pats have the picks to do it, it would just make too much sense so it won't happen. I would love to have him in NE.

Babylon
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I think this would be the ideal move. Jacoby is a disappointment who'll never develop into anything more then he is, Walters is below average and declining at that, and AJ is prone to get nicked up, that and he's approaching the wrong side of 30.

I think it would make a ton of sense to get them a future #1 right now while he isn't expected to carry that role now, especially for a team who likes to throw the ball. Makes them much harder to defend. Not sure they do it with their original 1st, but with an extra 1 to play with for Mario it'd be very smart.

I think they are good enough to coup a nice return for Mario, they don't really need him and he's still pretty valuable. Though thinking about Mario Williams on a team like Detroit who could boast a line of Mario - Suh - Fairley - Avril makes me shudder. Mario has a lot left in the tank and a ton of teams would be interested.

You mean, kinda like what they have already started doing, with Yates? That's kinda the concept ya know? Draft a QB in the middle rounds, and take your time with him. Seeing as how Yates has already gotten valuable starting time as a rookie, won a playoff game, and showed some flashes of a good QB with nice athleticism, what is the point of doing that all over again?

Not my idea of a guy who is going to take you to the Super Bowl if the need arises. I'd be thinking more a Ryan Tannehill from this draft or a Matt Flynn by trade. If you think T.J. Yates is ever going to be the answer to anything i'm not really sure what to say.

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Not my idea of a guy who is going to take you to the Super Bowl if the need arises. I'd be thinking more a Ryan Tannehill from this draft or a Matt Flynn by trade. If you think T.J. Yates is ever going to be the answer to anything i'm not really sure what to say.

What is your idea of "developing a QB"? Flynn or Tannehill wouldn't be developing a QB. To develop a guy, is to draft a mid rounder, sit him for a few years, then give him the ropes. You don't take a guy in the 1st round to sit him for 3 years. I think your confusing your terms.

Babylon
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
What is your idea of "developing a QB"? Flynn or Tannehill wouldn't be developing a QB. To develop a guy, is to draft a mid rounder, sit him for a few years, then give him the ropes. You don't take a guy in the 1st round to sit him for 3 years. I think your confusing your terms.

Not sure if i worded my response right to start with. Here it is, You arent going anywhere with T.J. Yates, not now not 5 years from now.

nepg
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
This defense looks good enough as it is to be a serious contender so depending on the dollars it may make more sense to trade Mario Williams. I'm almost thinking it might make sense for the Texans to start developing a QB for the future.
Someone like TJ Yates?

SickwithIt1010
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure if i worded my response right to start with. Here it is, You arent going anywhere with T.J. Yates, not now not 5 years from now.

Someone like TJ Yates?

No, I dont think hes thinking of Yates...

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2012, 02:55 PM

I completely disagree with this line of thinking. You probably would have said the same thing about Matt Flynn if he was thrust into playing as a rookie too, yet now he's likely going to be a franchise QB for a team, and quite a few teams are going to be interested in him. That's the whole point in "developing" a QB which is what you said. Yates was a 5th round pick, and he nearly took this Texans team to the AFC championship game, but we are supposed to assume he won't get any better sitting for another 2-3 years?

They have Matt Schaub now, a guy like Tannehill isn't even a remote possibility. Why in the world would Houston take a QB in the 1st round? And if you are saying they need to "develop" a QB for the future, could you give me some sort of scenario that makes sense for them to do?

Your post was pretty straight forward but not sure it's backed by much. You said they aren't going anywhere with Yates, yet they went pretty far with him this year and he had very little to no development which is exactly what he needs.

Flynn won't be starting until his 5th season, how many people thought he was a franchise QB, or starting caliber guy coming out of LSU? He's consistently improved and gotten better. People seem to be so impatient with QB's now and if you don't set the world on fire as a rookie, or weren't drafted in the 1st round somehow your just a scrub.

Scotty D
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I get some of what Babylon is trying to say.

Yates is a good QB to have on the roster when you have Schaub. But if Schaub wasn't on the roster I wouldn't put all my chips on Yates at this moment.

comahan
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Neither would the Texans, which is why he wasnt even on the active roster for most of the season. He was forced into the job via two injuries.

j05son
01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Fixed that phone conversation for you.

=[

Cleveland was a storied franchise and Holmgren is well respected in the NFL.

haters gunna hate.

Brent
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
=[

Cleveland was a storied franchise and Holmgren is well respected in the NFL.

haters gunna hate.
keyword there is "was"

DI
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Houston should be doing everything in their power to resign him. If one thing has been proved in this league is that you can never have enough pass rushers and Williams isn't just a pass rusher. He's just a dominant force and keeping him on that defense, along with Barwin and Reed on the outside with Ryans and Cushing on the inside is just sick.

j05son
01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
keyword there is "was"
what about, and Holmgren is well respected in the NFL.

Iamcanadian
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Tough question because it all depends on their cap problems if they have any.
I could see him traded vs a vie Julius Peppers, for the same kind of compensation.

Brothgar
01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
FLYNN for MARIO?
Tag & Trade...

I swear I see that you have posted and this is the dialogue that goes on in my brain.

Self (Ego): Hey look J-Mike88 has posted.

Logic: Don't look it will be stupid and more than likely about the Packers even after they lost to the Giants.

na´vetÚ: Can't be it is a thread about Mario Williams and the Texans how can he possibly do it unless he requests he end up there but many fans do that so this can't be completely idiotic right?

Logic: *sigh* go ahead read the train wreck of a post at least you may be able to laugh at it.

I understand the argument that you won't get a first for him if you are going to have to pay him crazy money... but you know someone will do it for the rights to signing this guy.

People trade 1st (sometimes multiple) to sign the rights to a guy who is completely unproven every year.

Agreed there are at least a dozen teams who would love to gain Williams' services.

Namely

Buffalo
New England
NY Jets
Bengals
Browns
Titans
Lions
Green Bey
Chicago
Vikings
ATL
Carolina
Cards
Seattle

I highly doubt we see Mario away from Houston...

I don't know if the right deal came along like say Browns trade first rounders for the Williams throw in enter Justin Blackmon across from Andre the offense becomes deadly.

bigbuc
01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
You guys think the Browns would trade a 4th overall pick for Williams?

The market has already been set for this kind of trade. When Allen was sent from KC to Minny. If I remember it was a 1st ( 15th overall ) and two 3rd's.

Williams coming off a injury maybe, maybe makes him a little cheaper. But not much.

So I'm thinking a mid first rounder and a 3rd rounder gets a deal done if Houston wants to let him go.

Ness
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Trading the 4th overall pick of the NFL Draft for an outside linebacker coming off a significant injury would not be a good idea.

Iamcanadian
01-17-2012, 12:47 AM
I completely disagree with this line of thinking. You probably would have said the same thing about Matt Flynn if he was thrust into playing as a rookie too, yet now he's likely going to be a franchise QB for a team, and quite a few teams are going to be interested in him. That's the whole point in "developing" a QB which is what you said. Yates was a 5th round pick, and he nearly took this Texans team to the AFC championship game, but we are supposed to assume he won't get any better sitting for another 2-3 years?

They have Matt Schaub now, a guy like Tannehill isn't even a remote possibility. Why in the world would Houston take a QB in the 1st round? And if you are saying they need to "develop" a QB for the future, could you give me some sort of scenario that makes sense for them to do?

Your post was pretty straight forward but not sure it's backed by much. You said they aren't going anywhere with Yates, yet they went pretty far with him this year and he had very little to no development which is exactly what he needs.

Flynn won't be starting until his 5th season, how many people thought he was a franchise QB, or starting caliber guy coming out of LSU? He's consistently improved and gotten better. People seem to be so impatient with QB's now and if you don't set the world on fire as a rookie, or weren't drafted in the 1st round somehow your just a scrub.

Gee and you have been so hard on me for saying Sanchez still has a shot at a breakout season. You should follow your own advise, it is pretty solid if you ask me. After all, Yates started for many seasons in college while Sanchez had about 12 starts but Yates can get better but Sanchez cannot with added experience. H...mmm.

kalbears13
01-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Trading the 4th overall pick of the NFL Draft for an outside linebacker coming off a significant injury would not be a good idea.

He would play RDE but whatever... I seriously doubt it would happen and if it did, i believe the 22nd overall would be more of a discussion.

Ness
01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
He would play RDE but whatever... I seriously doubt it would happen and if it did, i believe the 22nd overall would be more of a discussion.

I think the Browns should be more concerned at quarterback. I'm guessing the organization has given up on Colt McCoy.

bigbuc
01-17-2012, 01:03 AM

Thats what I was saying... No way in hell does the Bowns trade that 4th pick

DraftSavant
01-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Gee and you have been so hard on me for saying Sanchez still has a shot at a breakout season. You should follow your own advise, it is pretty solid if you ask me. After all, Yates started for many seasons in college while Sanchez had about 12 starts but Yates can get better but Sanchez cannot with added experience. H...mmm.

Not sure if srs...

Actually, I know you are. Smh.

A Perfect Score
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Tough question because it all depends on their cap problems if they have any.
I could see him traded vs a vie Julius Peppers, for the same kind of compensation.

Am I the only one who caught this? Julius Peppers was certainly not traded. He signed with Chicago as a FA, Carolina recouped nothing for him. Still one of the worst FO moves I've ever seen. I have no idea how you just let a player of that magnitude walk.

As for Mario Williams, imagine if he came to Baltimore. We'd never be able to afford him, as Suggs and Ngata have enormous contracts and we have to resign Flacco, Rice and Grubbs, but I get a full on erection picturing Suggs and Super Mario coming off the edge rushing QBs.

Brothgar
01-17-2012, 01:50 PM

I don't think they would trade the #4 strait up. but #4 overall for the Texans 1st and Mario. If Blackmon is there I could see it. Yes the Browns need a QB but if St. Louis trades down or if Minny trades down Griffin may be gone and Tannehill isn't going 4 overall.

Complex
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't think they would trade the #4 strait up. but #4 overall for the Texans 1st and Mario. If Blackmon is there I could see it. Yes the Browns need a QB but if St. Louis trades down or if Minny trades down Griffin may be gone and Tannehill isn't going 4 overall.

They might trade their 23rd or 24th pick w/e they got from the falcons but not the 4th pick in the draft for a 80 plus million dollar DE coming off a season ending injury.

ChiFan24
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Not sure why we're only talking about the Browns. The Bears, among others, would be all over this.

Honestly is there anything more jizzworthy than Peppers and Super Mario on the same line?

MetSox17
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Am I the only one who caught this? Julius Peppers was certainly not traded. He signed with Chicago as a FA, Carolina recouped nothing for him. Still one of the worst FO moves I've ever seen. I have no idea how you just let a player of that magnitude walk.

This is just going off the top of my head and i may be wrong, but the deal he had made with the Panthers was that after getting tagged twice (or three times?) he would only sign the franchise tag if he was guaranteed not to be tagged the next year to become a FA.

FlyingElvis
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I highly doubt the Texans trade Mario. Unless they have some serious cap issues, anyway.

Give up a huge stud so you can roll w/Barwin & Reed? No thanks. Take the beastly rotation / depth and try and prove you're as dominant as the numbers show this year. Winning a division ends the cake schedules, as you now have to face better competition in the form of other division winners.

Babylon
01-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I highly doubt the Texans trade Mario. Unless they have some serious cap issues, anyway.

Give up a huge stud so you can roll w/Barwin & Reed? No thanks. Take the beastly rotation / depth and try and prove you're as dominant as the numbers show this year. Winning a division ends the cake schedules, as you now have to face better competition in the form of other division winners.

Two things for me. What is it going to take to sign him and what can i get in a trade. You already know you have one of the better defenses around and may be able to use that big chip to add one of the better receivers available, at that point i'd be interested.

FlyingElvis
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Two things for me. What is it going to take to sign him and what can i get in a trade. You already know you have one of the better defenses around and may be able to use that big chip to add one of the better receivers available, at that point i'd be interested.

As long as Peyton wears a Colts uniform, SuperMario sticks around.

Obviously, for the right deal it can happen, I just don't see it.

But, sure, put me squarely in the "Hell yes - trade him to my team!" camp. lol

bigbuc
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

They need to sign Foster... I think the RT as well.

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Lol really? Yea, silly me, thinking a rookie 5th round QB would have the nerve to get better after his rookie season. What was I thinking...

TitanHope
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
This is just going off the top of my head and i may be wrong, but the deal he had made with the Panthers was that after getting tagged twice (or three times?) he would only sign the franchise tag if he was guaranteed not to be tagged the next year to become a FA.

Same thing happened with Haynesworth in Tennessee.

j05son
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
You guys think the Browns would trade a 4th overall pick for Williams?

The market has already been set for this kind of trade. When Allen was sent from KC to Minny. If I remember it was a 1st ( 15th overall ) and two 3rd's.

Williams coming off a injury maybe, maybe makes him a little cheaper. But not much.

So I'm thinking a mid first rounder and a 3rd rounder gets a deal done if Houston wants to let him go.

We need an upgrade at RDE but we will use the 4th overall or try and trade it for a QB before we ever used it to trade for Williams. #4 overall and a massive contract won't happen. Now if you said #22 from ATL that's different.

Lol really? Yea, silly me, thinking a rookie 5th round QB would have the nerve to get better after his rookie season. What was I thinking...

Word of advice, just ignore IAC - everyone else does. he's like Skip Bayless in the fact nobody likes him, contradicts himself and has outlandish opinions with accuracy worse than a weatherman.

For everyone talking about Browns QB - Heckert (who pretty much shoots straight in interviews thus far, hardly any smoke) was quick to defend McCoy and stated he thinks he'll come back a better QB next year.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Can't have too many pass rushers? Why not extend him?

j05son
01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Can't have too many pass rushers? Why not extend him?

They may not be able too. Houston isn't rolling in cap space and they have other free agents including Foster. The defense played fine without him, so he may be a casualty of a sign and trade or just won't be resigned. Franchise tag will be over 20 mil I believe.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
They may not be able too. Houston isn't rolling in cap space and they have other free agents including Foster. The defense played fine without him, so he may be a casualty of a sign and trade or just won't be resigned. Franchise tag will be over 20 mil I believe.

Oh, well then..Still not good letting pass rushers go. It's too bad we can't sign him with JPP and Tuck! Now that would be great, but i am afraid we may need to save tons of money for JPP and a Julius Peppers type contract for him, if he keeps up this pace of production.

dan77733
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I say Williams is as good as gone. Dont see the Texans re-signing him or franchising him. Think that he'll go to a 4-3 based team so he can go back to playing DE. Texans dont need him and were good without him. Could use that money elsewhere.

bigbuc
01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I say Williams is as good as gone. Dont see the Texans re-signing him or franchising him. Think that he'll go to a 4-3 based team so he can go back to playing DE. Texans dont need him and were good without him. Could use that money elsewhere.

I can tell you flat out that they will get something for him if they chose not to pay him big money.

j05son
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I can tell you flat out that they will get something for him if they chose not to pay him big money.

How? He's a free agent that is going to demand a big $ contract and like you said if Houston decides to not give him that money and to resign other players he's available to the highest bidder.

killxswitch
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
How? He's a free agent that is going to demand a big $ contract and like you said if Houston decides to not give him that money and to resign other players he's available to the highest bidder.

Tag and trade?

Complex
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
He is staying with the Texans Kubiack(sp?) said they are going to try to sign him to a long-term deal.

Fico
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I think he stays in Houston. He has already stated he wants to work out a contract that is beneficial to him and the team. He knows he has been the only player on the d-line since he was drafted that was worth a damn. His personality isnt of the make up of being the "man." With the pressure off and other players to focus on MW will put up monster numbers. In his first 5 games in a new system with a truncated off season he put up 5 sacks, and directly caused 2 interceptions. Those plays are off the top of my head. The guy was a beast in those 5 games and would have only gotten better as he got more comfortable in the system.

Additionally Barwin and Reed played every single defensive snap after MW went down. If either one of those guys would have missed time we would have been screwed monumentally.

MW will probably get a 7 year $70-80 million deal.
Foster will get a 5-6 year $38-45 million deal.
Meyer will be resigned as well.

We have the cap room to do, and a few guys will be let go becuase of it. Plus many of our players have consistently volunteered to rework contracts so that impact players could remain. The contracts will more than likely be back load playing into the cap, which is estimated to increase significantly in the coming years as it is tied to revenue and there will be a new TV deal being negotiated.

The real question becomes what do we do with Schuab after 2012 when his contract is up.

They will draft a WR in round 1, Kendall Wright/A.Jefferies, etc...

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Regardless of their comments, their top priority is going to be signing Arian Foster. I know they can tender him, but he's not going to play next year at his scheduled rate, especially after battling some injuries this past season. Their team turned from a pass happy team to a run heavy team that plays defense, I'd bet he gets taken care of first.

Babylon
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I think he stays in Houston. He has already stated he wants to work out a contract that is beneficial to him and the team. He knows he has been the only player on the d-line since he was drafted that was worth a damn. His personality isnt of the make up of being the "man." With the pressure off and other players to focus on MW will put up monster numbers. In his first 5 games in a new system with a truncated off season he put up 5 sacks, and directly caused 2 interceptions. Those plays are off the top of my head. The guy was a beast in those 5 games and would have only gotten better as he got more comfortable in the system.

Additionally Barwin and Reed played every single defensive snap after MW went down. If either one of those guys would have missed time we would have been screwed monumentally.

MW will probably get a 7 year $70-80 million deal.
Foster will get a 5-6 year $38-45 million deal.
Meyer will be resigned as well.

We have the cap room to do, and a few guys will be let go becuase of it. Plus many of our players have consistently volunteered to rework contracts so that impact players could remain. The contracts will more than likely be back load playing into the cap, which is estimated to increase significantly in the coming years as it is tied to revenue and there will be a new TV deal being negotiated.

The real question becomes what do we do with Schuab after 2012 when his contract is up.

They will draft a WR in round 1, Kendall Wright/A.Jefferies, etc...

Really excited about their future there. So does Mario play the 3-4 DE or are they going to try him at olb? The latter probably means Barwin or Reed see much reduced PT.

OzTitan
01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Didn't he have 5 sacks in 5 games at OLB? I think they'll go a rotation if they keep him. With the way that NFL defenses are staying in Nickel these days Mario will probably spend most time with his hand down rushing the passer with Barwin or Reed at the other DE and perhaps another occasionally at one of their LB spots in the nickel package?

Basileus777
01-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Didn't he have 5 sacks in 5 games at OLB? I think they'll go a rotation if they keep him. With the way that NFL defenses are staying in Nickel these days Mario will probably spend most time with his hand down rushing the passer with Barwin or Reed at the other DE and perhaps another occasionally at one of their LB spots in the nickel package?

Yeah, I wouldn't get too hung up about the 3-4. In this sub package heavy league, he'd only be playing LB when Houston plays their base defense, and he can probably hold up fine for however many snaps that is.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't get too hung up about the 3-4. In this sub package heavy league, he'd only be playing LB when Houston plays their base defense, and he can probably hold up fine for however many snaps that is.

People said this as soon as Wade Phillips was hired, it's nothing new. Wade knows how to fit his defense to his players, not the other way around. Only difference is Mario will rush the passer standing up more then anything, but it's not like his responsibilities changed all that much. He's still primarily coming off the edge and rushing the passer, just in more exotic then traditional looks.

Complex
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
SI's Peter King thinks the Texans are "seriously considering" letting Mario Williams walk in free agency.

Still hope for my titans but idk if I want him. The Texans are like 20plus over the cap so there is big chance he does not get tagged.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I could see him ending up in Jacksonville for the same reason Paul Posluszny ended up in Jacksonville...He likes 4-3 better than standing up

A Perfect Score
01-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I could see him ending up in Jacksonville for the same reason Paul Posluszny ended up in Jacksonville...He likes 4-3 better than standing up

Yeah but then they have to play in Jacksonville...Nobody wants to go there.

scottyboy
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM
he should come to the giants, we could always use more pass rushers.

Rosebud
01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
he should come to the giants, we could always use more pass rushers.

Kiwi/Mario rotation at SLB. Yeah, I think that could work. :D

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I could see him ending up in Jacksonville

MLK also had a dream.

Fico
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Really excited about their future there. So does Mario play the 3-4 DE or are they going to try him at olb? The latter probably means Barwin or Reed see much reduced PT.

I think they keep him at OLB. Creating a rotation with Reed and Barwin. Then they put his hand down in passing situations.

MW on one end, A.Smith over the nose, Watt on the other end. With Reed and Barwin off the edge, Cushing in the middle, and the nickel package in on passing situations would be almost unblockable.

fear the elf
01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah but then they have to play in Jacksonville...Nobody wants to go there.

Off topic poll - Less attractive place to play: Jacksonville, Buffalo or Cleveland?

ImBrotherCain
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Off topic poll - Less attractive place to play: Jacksonville, Buffalo or Cleveland?

Cleveland is the butt hole of the US... I've been there once and would honestly think twice about going back.

fear the elf
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Cleveland is the butt hole of the US... I've been there once and would honestly think twice about going back.

Well you're from Pittsburgh so I'll be taking your opinion with a grain of salt :)

On topic, I'd be extremely surprised if the Texans let Mario go, whether he be traded or let go. Generally, teams don't let guys with talent like that go (unless they have some baggage). No matter how bad of a cap situation they are in or the scheme fit. Besides, good players will produce in any scheme, as he showed us before his injury.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, because I'd be really interesting to watch what happens.

ImBrotherCain
01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Well you're from Pittsburgh so I'll be taking your opinion with a grain of salt :)

On topic, I'd be extremely surprised if the Texans let Mario go, whether he be traded or let go. Generally, teams don't let guys with talent like that go (unless they have some baggage). No matter how bad of a cap situation they are in or the scheme fit. Besides, good players will produce in any scheme, as he showed us before his injury.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, because I'd be really interesting to watch what happens.

I was born and raised in Rochester, NY about 1.5 hours away from Buffalo. I have only lived in Pittsburgh for about 3 years now and I hate the Steelers. So no bias lol.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Saying Jacksonville is one of the worst places to play is ********...We have one of the best growing fan bases

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Saying Jacksonville is one of the worst places to play is ********...We have one of the best growing fan bases

This is cute. How old are you?

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Dude we have a new owner and a new Head Coach. Unlike other teams we haven't had a Black out since 2009...We just had 7000 fans show up to a Prep Rally at Everbank Stadium for a team that went 5-11..we have one of the top 5 defenses in the league stats wise. Plus our new owner has said that money is not a issue this offseason and we have 35 million open on the cap....WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LIKE?

Maybe if you stop listening to main stream media and idiots like Jon Gruden and Keyshawn Johnson, you would know something.

FlyingElvis
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
No team in Florida is a bad place to play from a players' perspective. Regardless of the situation, there's still no income tax. That's enough to make any FL franchise attractive.

Then there's the whole weather, beaches, clubs and nearly year-round scantily clad ladies . . .

A Perfect Score
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Dude we have a new owner and a new Head Coach. Unlike other teams we haven't had a Black out since 2009...We just had 7000 fans show up to a Prep Rally at Everbank Stadium for a team that went 5-11..we have one of the top 5 defenses in the league stats wise. Plus our new owner has said that money is not a issue this offseason and we have 35 million open on the cap....WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LIKE?

Maybe if you stop listening to main stream media and idiots like Jon Gruden and Keyshawn Johnson, you would know something.

Mike Mularkey, Blaine Gabbert, Bob Bratkowski, Greg Olson, no WRs, small market, overrated statistical defense, etc. etc...It's a pretty big list of things not to like.

sweetness34
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Your new owner also crapped on anyone who didn't have season tickets by questioning their fandom.

"I think I can clarify at this point for me a fan is somebody who is a season ticket holder fan for the Jaguars. We want to hear from people, we want a huge amount of constructive feedback. We need input, but we need that from fans who are season ticket holders."

- Jaguars Owner, Shahid Khan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10828867

Yep, awesome place to play. Who cares if you don't have thousands of dollars to spend on season tickets. We don't want your feedback!

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 03:20 PM

The fact that your team sucks enormous amounts of dick? Outside of MJD, there's no redeeming qualities to that team. APS already listed them out. Gabbert is trash and will continue to be trash throwing to trash receivers.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Mike Mularkey, Blaine Gabbert, Bob Bratkowski, Greg Olson, no WRs, small market, overrated statistical defense, etc. etc...It's a pretty big list of things not to like.

Bratkowski has worked with a lot of good QBs like Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, and Warren Moon. Mularky actually had the Bills looking very good his first season in Buffalo when he didn't have much to work with. The only thing on that list that Im actually not 100 % confident about is Greg Olson. We had 25 players on IR this season and a lot of our defense wasn't there going into the late part of the season...We had no Derrick Cox or Rashean Mathis. We had 4th, 5th, and 6th string CBs...and saying Gabbert is a problem coming from a Ravens fan that have never really had a QB. Gabbert has more talent in his Non throwing hand than Flacco has in his whole body

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
The fact that your team sucks enormous amounts of dick? Outside of MJD, there's no redeeming qualities to that team. APS already listed them out. Gabbert is trash and will continue to be trash throwing to trash receivers.

This is the greatest quote because its the true quote of someone who has no idea what he is talking about. Just because we don't show up in main stream media people automatically assume that our team sucks. We went 8-8 last year and 7-9 the year before Its just a transition year.

OzTitan
01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
On topic, I'd be extremely surprised if the Texans let Mario go, whether he be traded or let go. Generally, teams don't let guys with talent like that go (unless they have some baggage).

I agree but occasionally we do see an exception, like Drew Brees. He wasn't a sure fire HOFer when he was let go like he is now and he did have that shoulder concern, but I think Mario is somewhat similar - perhaps too expensive to tag, not exactly sorely needed by his team, some potential injury concerns etc. If there was going to be another exception I think Mario's situation makes him a safe bet at being it, although I can still see the Texans working out a way to keep him.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Bratkowski has worked with a lot of good QBs like Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, and Warren Moon. Mularky actually had the Bills looking very good his first season in Buffalo when he didn't have much to work with. The only thing on that list that Im actually not 100 % confident about is Greg Olson. We had 25 players on IR this season and a lot of our defense wasn't there going into the late part of the season...We had no Derrick Cox or Rashean Mathis. We had 4th, 5th, and 6th string CBs...and saying Gabbert is a problem coming from a Ravens fan that have never really had a QB. Gabbert has more talent in his Non throwing hand than Flacco has in his whole body

You actually believed what you're writing, don't you? That's cute. I remember when I used to think my team and players were way more talented than they were, that nobody would ever regress or get hurt, that every player's developmental path would be absolutely perfect with no hiccups, and that my team's GM was the smartest kid in the room.

Really, though, as far as Jax/Cle/Buf...Jax wins that in a landslide. Jacksonville's a warm weather city, on the beach, in a state with no income tax.

Jacksonville isn't tits, but come on guys...CLEVELAND AND BUFFALO?

fear the elf
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I agree but occasionally we do see an exception, like Drew Brees. He wasn't a sure fire HOFer when he was let go like he is now and he did have that shoulder concern, but I think Mario is somewhat similar - perhaps too expensive to tag, not exactly sorely needed by his team, some potential injury concerns etc. If there was going to be another exception I think Mario's situation makes him a safe bet at being it, although I can still see the Texans working out a way to keep him.

Yeah, I 100% agree with that. There are always exceptions, and I think the situations as you describe them are analogous. Like I said, I hope it does happen, because it would be really interesting to see what happens.

Obligatory, I want him on my team declaration: how sweet would Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, Super Mario be!?

fear the elf
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Really, though, as far as Jax/Cle/Buf...Jax wins that in a landslide. Jacksonville's a warm weather city, on the beach, in a state with no income tax.

But...but...what about our rich history!? Doesn't that count for anything...? :(

A Perfect Score
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM

OH COME ON? I can't be the only one who caught this...This is sig quote worthy material here gentlemen.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
OH COME ON? I can't be the only one who caught this...This is sig quote worthy material here gentlemen.

I was going to bold it and say something in specific to that quote. But I re-read the rest of the post, and it's just ridiculous in it's entirety.

"Never say never", but I highly doubt they win anything of substance with Gene Smith running the team. And throughout the ownership change process, it's pretty apparent who is in total and complete control of football operations. He'd be a nice pro personnel guy, but he's completely in over his head in regards to the draft and has "smartest kid in the class" syndrome to boot.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Am I the only person that watches Flacco play? The only consistency he has is consistently screwing up...Just on potential alone I give Gabbert a better rating than Flacco. The Ravens have tried to give this kid the control many times and he has proven everytime to fail over and over...Give Gabbert the same amount of time that Flacco has had and I promise you he will be a better QB. I will wait until this offseason is over, Because remember all of the new players we had this offseason and not even having a full TC...All of you will be eating your words next year

A Perfect Score
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Am I the only person that watches Flacco play? The only consistency he has is consistently screwing up...Just on potential alone I give Gabbert a better rating than Flacco. The Ravens have tried to give this kid the control many times and he has proven everytime to fail over and over...Give Gabbert the same amount of time that Flacco has had and I promise you he will be a better QB. I will wait until this offseason is over, Because remember all of the new players we had this offseason and not even having a full TC...All of you will be eating your words next year

I'm pretty sure the only thing Gabbert has on Flacco in any way, potential or otherwise, is mobility. And I'm pretty sure that's because Gunshy Gabbert is the biggest ***** in the NFL and he's continually running from the nonexistent pass rush. I would bet literally every cent I have on the fact that Blaine Gabbert will forever be an inferior NFL QB to Joe Flacco. Every ******* cent.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the only thing Gabbert has on Flacco in any way, potential or otherwise, is mobility. And I'm pretty sure that's because Gunshy Gabbert is the biggest ***** in the NFL and he's continually running from the nonexistent pass rush. I would bet literally every cent I have on the fact that Blaine Gabbert will forever be an inferior NFL QB to Joe Flacco. Every ******* cent.

How much Jags games have you watched this year?..Im assuming just the Jags-Ravens game? if so you really have a lot to go on don't you? Or once again are you just going by what main stream media is saying?

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
How much Jags games have you watched this year?..Im assuming just the Jags-Ravens game? if so you really have a lot to go on don't you? Or once again are you just going by what main stream media is saying?

I watched every game. Chase Daniels will have a longer NFL career than Gabbert when it's all said and done.

Look, I know Jag fans think everyone gangs up and picks on them to be mean. Gabbert is bad. Really, really bad. The sooner the fans and FO accept this, the less damage there will be.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I watched every game. Chase Daniels will have a longer NFL career than Gabbert when it's all said and done.

Look, I know Jag fans think everyone gangs up and picks on them to be mean. Gabbert is bad. Really, really bad. The sooner the fans and FO accept this, the less damage there will be.

Dude Gabbert didn't have any WRs this year, he had no Training Camp. Marcedes Lewis had a off year...How are you going to sit there and say that considering the circumstances? Wait until next year when he has the WRs, Because I guarantee you that our offense around Gabbert next year will look like a whole new offense. If you watched every Jags game this year you would know this. Our WRs were so horrible this year they could even get seperation. Even Dunta Robinson said this was the worst bunch of WRs he had ever faced.

Every Rookie QB that came in this year had a security blanket at WR Cam Newton had Steve Smith, Andy Dalton had AJ Green, Christian Ponder had Percy Harvin. Who did Gabbert have? Mike Thomas? Mike Thomas would be 3rd or 4th string on a lot of teams in the NFL

J-Mike88
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Wow I thought I clicked into the Mario Williams thread.

Where will Mario go?
What's his best position?
Can he not be a Justin Smith type beast of a DE in a 34 scheme?

Send the brother north to the tundra. We need help everywhere on defense.
What $ will it take?

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Dude Gabbert didn't have any WRs this year, he had no Training Camp. Marcedes Lewis had a off year...How are you going to sit there and say that considering the circumstances? Wait until next year when he has the WRs, Because I guarantee you that our offense around Gabbert next year will look like a whole new offense. If you watched every Jags game this year you would know this. Our WRs were so horrible this year they could even get seperation. Even Dunta Robinson said this was the worst bunch of WRs he had ever faced.

Every Rookie QB that came in this year had a security blanket at WR Cam Newton had Steve Smith, Andy Dalton had AJ Green, Christian Ponder had Percy Harvin. Who did Gabbert have? Mike Thomas? Mike Thomas would be 3rd or 4th string on a lot of teams in the NFL

Isolate. The. Player.

I can sit here and say that because my analysis on him is the same as it was pre-draft. The situation he was in this year doesn't excuse him from poor performance, because his performance was exactly what I expected.

He's the same ****** QB he was at Missouri, except he's not protected by a run-n-shoot offense and ****** Big-12 defenses.

Go re-watch a college game of his against Colorado or one of his Nebraska games (the only three times he faced predominantly man coverage in his college career). I'll save you the time: it's not pretty.

Crazy_Chris
01-23-2012, 04:59 PM

I think everyone would agree he could use a better supporting cast. But unfortunatly that wouldn't help his nuts drop.

GatorsBullsFan
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Im not going to sit here and argue with you anymore because you obviously have your mind set on what you saw in college and there is no changing your mind...I still promise you that Gabbert will be a better QB than Joe Flacco.

For the people that think the negative repping has any effect...Grow up

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Im not going to sit here and argue with you anymore because you obviously have your mind set on what you saw in college and there is no changing your mind...I still promise you that Gabbert will be a better QB than Joe Flacco.

For the people that think the negative repping has any effect...Grow up

Based on...what? What does BG do (or ever done at any point) better than Flacco?

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I still promise you that Gabbert will be a better QB than Joe Flacco.

And i still promise you that he won't be. But go ahead, keep throwing around words like "mainstream media" like it has any importance to this discussion in any way. The Jags were on national television more than they should have been this year, and Gabbert looked terrible time and time again. He doesn't pass the eye ball test at all, and his stats support that as well.

I'm sure you can't be older than 16 or 17. Anyone that has watched professional football for more than a few years can tell that Gabbert was terrible this past year, and it doesn't look very optimistic going forward either.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
And i still promise you that he won't be. But go ahead, keep throwing around words like "mainstream media" like it has any importance to this discussion in any way. The Jags were on national television more than they should have been this year, and Gabbert looked terrible time and time again. He doesn't pass the eye ball test at all, and his stats support that as well.

I'm sure you can't be older than 16 or 17. Anyone that has watched professional football for more than a few years can tell that Gabbert was terrible this past year, and it doesn't look very optimistic going forward either.

Like I said....

You actually believed what you're writing, don't you? That's cute. I remember when I used to think my team and players were way more talented than they were, that nobody would ever regress or get hurt, that every player's developmental path would be absolutely perfect with no hiccups, and that my team's GM was the smartest kid in the room.

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Saying Jacksonville is one of the worst places to play is ********.

Like I said....

Like i said....

Rosebud
01-23-2012, 06:18 PM

As you should. I ******* hate cleveland. It's one of the things that makes me the only knicks fan who still kinda likes LeBron. Cause **** Cleveland.

Rosebud
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM

I think he's sweet.

Buffalo's a nice...town...but yeah Cleveland is absolute garbage and I've never been to Jax so i can't comment.

gpngc
01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Seattle has the cap space and he's an absolutely perfect fit...

He'd also instantly be the face of the franchise and could vault the defense into elite status...

A Perfect Score
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Seattle has the cap space and he's an absolutely perfect fit...

He'd also instantly be the face of the franchise and could vault the defense into elite status...

Seattle does make a ton of sense. I think you've gotta look at Detroit, Tampa, Atlanta and...who am I kidding, if a guy as talented as Mario Williams hits FA, you can bet every single 4-3 team and most 3-4 teams are going to take a long, hard look at how he could improve their franchise.

SickwithIt1010
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow I thought I clicked into the Mario Williams thread.

Where will Mario go?
What's his best position?
Can he not be a Justin Smith type beast of a DE in a 34 scheme?

Send the brother north to the tundra. We need help everywhere on defense.
What $ will it take?

His talents would be wasted playing end in the 3-4...I think he would be an elite player there but he can do so much more.

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
We've thoroughly discussed throwing a fat contract at him in the Cowboys forum. Most of us would love it but it would chew up a lot of the room we have.

To play OLB, of course.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
This is the pass rusher the Patriots have been waiting for.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
We've thoroughly discussed throwing a fat contract at him in the Cowboys forum. Most of us would love it but it would chew up a lot of the room we have.

To play OLB, of course.

But then how will they re-sign Newman?

MetSox17
01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
But then how will they re-sign Newman?

I'm gonna kick you in your damn face.

SenorGato
01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
This is the pass rusher the Patriots have been waiting for.

Sucks they'll have to lose him to the Jets.

Brothgar
01-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Sucks they'll have to lose him to the Jets.

Jets have no money even less when they get Peyton Manning.

fear the elf
01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
As you should. I ******* hate cleveland. It's one of the things that makes me the only knicks fan who still kinda likes LeBron. Cause **** Cleveland.

I think he's sweet.

Buffalo's a nice...town...but yeah Cleveland is absolute garbage and I've never been to Jax so i can't comment.

Cleveland isn't that bad. Just like any city it has awful parts and nice parts and plenty of nice and wealthy surrounding suburbs.

I live in a little slice of Heaven called South West Florida right now, and believe me, I'd much rather be in Cleveland. It's like a walking graveyard down here, in 100% humidity for 9 months every year.

the_dark_knight
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
So, I'm glad the Mario Williams thread is a debate about 2 really really horrible QBs. Flacco is bottom 3rd, and Gabbert at this point is setting the pace for the bottom of the barrel.

Flacco has a great arm, a poor mentality, and an amazing supporting cast. Between that defense, Ray Rice, Boldin, and a great deep threat in Torrey Smith, there's no reason for Flacco to have played as poorly as he has over these years. That defense has bailed him out so, so, so, so, SO many times.

That being said, Gabbert has the physical tools to surpass Flacco, but when you talk about a QB who plays scared, look no further than David Carr, that guy had everything you needed, but he got scared and never recovered. That's something that is very difficult to fix, and I hope that Gabbert can for his sake.

To say that either one of them is a good QB is a joke, and to say make promises based on other people, and what they're going to do is a bit silly. At this point all we know is what we've seen, and we've seen Flacco suck for a number of years now, and we've seen Gabbert suck worse than Flacco ever has in his first year. At this point that's all we know. Gabbert has no where near the cast around him that Flacco does, but pocket herc was a major help for him, and he still sucked.

NOW, back on topic.

I wanna hear what people are hearing about Williams. Is he going to hit FA, is he going to be 100% when he's getting tested out, who are the top landing spots? I know most teams will want him, who has serious interest, and the money to compete for his skills?

SuperMcGee
01-24-2012, 08:37 AM
I know that everybody would want him, but some of the places being mentioned by fans just make me think of Fred Savage in South Park, suggesting himself for movie roles while everybody laughs.

A Perfect Score
01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
I want to hear how Gabbert's physical tools are superior to Flacco's. Flacco is bigger, has a stronger arm, better accuracy, better throwing motion, and a stronger frame then Gabbert. The only physical or mental attribute that Gabbert has ever had on Flacco is mobility, and again that's because he's perpetually running from a pass rush that may or may not exist.

Gabbert is just awful, people need to stop defending him.

Rosebud
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Cleveland isn't that bad. Just like any city it has awful parts and nice parts and plenty of nice and wealthy surrounding suburbs.

I live in a little slice of Heaven called South West Florida right now, and believe me, I'd much rather be in Cleveland. It's like a walking graveyard down here, in 100% humidity for 9 months every year.

No. Cleveland really is that bad, like seriously, **** that ex-city.

Nalej
01-24-2012, 09:09 AM
I want to hear how Gabbert's physical tools are superior to Flacco's.

He's not. Not even close. That's lol worthy.

SimonRath
01-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I want to hear how Gabbert's physical tools are superior to Flacco's. Flacco is bigger, has a stronger arm, better accuracy, better throwing motion, and a stronger frame then Gabbert. The only physical or mental attribute that Gabbert has ever had on Flacco is mobility, and again that's because he's perpetually running from a pass rush that may or may not exist.

Gabbert has sexy hair though. Tom brady #2!

ATLDirtyBirds
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM

To play OLB, of course.

Fits better as the Falcons DE, replacing the invisible Ray Edwards.

DraftSavant
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna kick you in your damn face.

You don't need Mario. According to Jerruh, Romo just needs to be more like Eli. That's the only difference between the two teams, ya know.

Complex
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
We got 30 million dollars of cap room. We have one of the best shots at Mario.

Complex
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
double postt

Complex
01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
triple post lag

Saints-Tigers
01-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Would love to see the Saints try something. Would have to think Spags would push hard for it, and our need to generate a rush is huge.

OzTitan
01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
We got 30 million dollars of cap room. We have one of the best shots at Mario.

Cap room isn't going to be the problem for most in the hunt. A mega deal like Mario's will come down to guaranteed money and signing bonus, which heavily favors the big market teams who can afford it. Ironically favoring these aspects of an NFL contract actually ends up making it more cap friendly, at least at first.

bigbuc
01-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Would love to see the Saints try something. Would have to think Spags would push hard for it, and our need to generate a rush is huge.

Dude your top 3 QB, Top 5 OG and top 10 WR are all free agents... If you sign them where are gods green earth will you guys get the money for Williams?

SenorGato
01-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Dude your top 3 QB, Top 5 OG and top 10 WR are all free agents... If you sign them where are gods green earth will you guys get the money for Williams?

Bye bye Colston.

Finsfan79
01-25-2012, 12:57 AM
love to see miami get him as they are shifting to the 4-3. Picking up williams to go with Wake would be a killer combo on the outside :)

Vikes99ej
01-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I can't believe Mario is already 27. Damn I feel old.

J-Mike88
01-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Bye bye Colston.
And Colston is not a top-10 WR.
I wouldn't be surprised, somehow, if the Saints did manage to keep him too.

Caddy
01-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Every team in the NFL should try to sign this guy.

SuperPacker
01-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Hes not really a 3-4 OLB though. He ca play it but you would much rather have him in a 4-3 where all he has to do is rush the passer and stop the run.

marks01234
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Hes not really a 3-4 OLB though. He ca play it but you would much rather have him in a 4-3 where all he has to do is rush the passer and stop the run.

Play him at end on first and second down and move him to OLB on 3rd down.

Not sure if Mario wants to play DE in the 3-4 scheme but no reason he couldn't have a Justin Smith type impact.

Don Vito
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
love to see miami get him as they are shifting to the 4-3. Picking up williams to go with Wake would be a killer combo on the outside :)

Maybe you could get one of those QB's they're using these days too

Dallas357
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Tagging this for later, The Jaguars will overpay for him.

Rosebud
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Work up the back 7 and atleast you have a good defense to back up MJD...and enough star power to demand Gabbert be replaced.

Bengals78
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I would love to see us make a move for him. We need to improve our DL and we have the picks if they tag him and trade him.

Leon Sandcastle
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Buffalo will have a lot of money to play with this year if they decide to spend and they might have to make a huge signing like Mario Williams if they want to avoid 6, 7 blackouts this year.

A 4-3 line that consists of Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus and Mario Williams is the best in the NFL and good enough to get the Bills a WC spot.

DraftSavant
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM

YESPLZKTHNXBAI

ATLDirtyBirds
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
YESPLZKTHNXBAI

He's coming to Atlanta sir.

Complex
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
He's coming to Atlanta sir.

You guys just payed sack machine Ray Edwards. What is your cap situation?

Mario is a future titan

bigbluedefense
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Mario Williams has been mostly underwhelming so far in his career?

Maybe not underwhelming, but I expected a lot more from him. He's like a solid 10 sack a season guy, but he should be so much more than that. Yes, I know his dline sucked hard for most of his career, and the 1 time he got some help along that line along with a great DC, he gets hurt, but I still expected more.

I'm not sure I'd break the bank for a guy who is already 27, without much substance to his name other than being a physical freak. I fully expect him to do better moving forward and but I'm still not sure if he's worth breaking the bank for.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Mario is a future titan

Abraham (and Biermann) are FA status, so we have a hole. Estimates have us at about 30 million in space.

Complex
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Mario Williams has been mostly underwhelming so far in his career?

Maybe not underwhelming, but I expected a lot more from him. He's like a solid 10 sack a season guy, but he should be so much more than that. Yes, I know his dline sucked hard for most of his career, and the 1 time he got some help along that line along with a great DC, he gets hurt, but I still expected more.

I'm not sure I'd break the bank for a guy who is already 27, without much substance to his name other than being a physical freak. I fully expect him to do better moving forward and but I'm still not sure if he's worth breaking the bank for.

He had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got hurt.

DraftSavant
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM

:shrug: Maybe from a pure numbers perspective.

Julius Peppers had some really "meh" stat years, too. Hell, he only had 8 sacks in his first year with Chicago, yet that was one of the best DE overall 4-3 DE performances I've seen in a long time.

Osi, Simeon Rice, Jason Taylor...guys who are really praised for their pass rushing skills...quite often have years with less than 10 sacks.

bigbluedefense
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
:shrug: Maybe from a pure numbers perspective.

Julius Peppers had some really "meh" stat years, too. Hell, he only had 8 sacks in his first year with Chicago, yet that was one of the best DE overall 4-3 DE performances I've seen in a long time.

Osi, Simeon Rice, Jason Taylor...guys who are really praised for their pass rushing skills...quite often have years with less than 10 sacks.

I get that, but when has Mario Williams ever dominated a season? I think he had potential to do that this season, but it was cut short. And let's be real, an ACL injury is no joke. This guy may never be the same.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, all I'm saying is...is he worth the money? I don't know.

DraftSavant
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I get that, but when has Mario Williams ever dominated a season? I think he had potential to do that this season, but it was cut short. And let's be real, an ACL injury is no joke. This guy may never be the same.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, all I'm saying is...is he worth the money? I don't know.

Being in the same division, I see him play quite often, and he rarely disappoints. I think this is more a function of team exposure/success as opposed to the player.

5 sacks in 5 games this year...and considering the success Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin even after he went down. I dunno, I think he would have garnered DPOTY votes this season.

Complex
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM

He had torn Pectoral muscle.

bigbluedefense
02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
He had torn Pectoral muscle.

Aaaah, gotcha. Big difference. My bad.

Being in the same division, I see him play quite often, and he rarely disappoints. I think this is more a function of team exposure/success as opposed to the player.

5 sacks in 5 games this year...and considering the success Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin even after he went down. I dunno, I think he would have garnered DPOTY votes this season.

Hmm. I guess that's fair. I don't see him all that much.

OzTitan
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
There is still an element of untapped potential with Mario but I think he has progressed past his inconsistent label he had in college and perhaps his first few seasons (where he'd get 2 sacks one game and then disappear for a few games before repeating). When the Titans played them, Roos used to handle him with ease but the last few matchups he's found ways to make plays, and Roos is basically just as good as ever.

BamaFalcon59
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Mario is a future titan

We've got some guys becoming free agents who we don't need back.

Edwards got a mid-level contract. He's only making five to six million a year.

Halsey
02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
There's part of me that wants the Fal ons to pursue Williams, but at the same time I'm worried he wouldn't perform up to the huge standards his pay will set.

Ness
02-04-2012, 07:26 PM
There's part of me that wants the Fal ons to pursue Williams, but at the same time I'm worried he wouldn't perform up to the huge standards his pay will set.

I think he would be a good fit and an impact player on the Falcons. They really need to upgrade that defense and get some more playmakers.

bigbuc
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Mario Williams sure looks like he won't be back. The guy wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football and if the Texans tag him they'll be on the hook for 22.9 million. Espn says the Texans can give him a " great offer " but that Williams would have to leave millions on the table to return to Houston.

Bengals78
02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Bengals have a **** ton of money and a need at DE....

OzTitan
02-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Bengals have a **** ton of money and a need at DE....

As do the Titans. Unfortunately for us, the Bengals and Titans also share a similar brand of ownership not usually very signing bonus friendly.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
As do the Titans. Unfortunately for us, the Bengals and Titans also share a similar brand of ownership not usually very signing bonus friendly.

Welcome to the ATL Mario.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM

DS hit the nail on the head. He's Julius Peppers like in his production. He could get 8 sacks and still be one of the best defenders in the league.

Mufasa
02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the ATL Mario.

Bet you're wishing you didn't blow that money on Ray Edwards last year

Bulldogs
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
DS hit the nail on the head. He's Julius Peppers like in his production. He could get 8 sacks and still be one of the best defenders in the league.

I would blow a load if we got Mario Williams.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Bet you're wishing you didn't blow that money on Ray Edwards last year

Of course, but as stated many, many times before, he didn't get paid as an elite pass rusher. He didn't live up to what we are paying him, but it's not like we broke the bank for him.

I would blow a load if we got Mario Williams.

As would I. I think bringing back Abraham on a reasonable deal and adding a mid level DT is more likely though.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Yeah but a season of empty stadiums and barely selling out with a 2fer1 deal at the end of the year....
Brown needs to wake up and realize he has roughly 60 million in cap space. ******* spend it

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah but a season of empty stadiums and barely selling out with a 2fer1 deal at the end of the year....
Brown needs to wake up and realize he has roughly 60 million in cap space. ******* spend it

He's going to have to spend some of it, at some point. What's the cap floor this year?

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 11:12 AM
He's going to have to spend some of it, at some point. What's the cap floor this year?

If he smart, he gives Zimmer any player he wants. We can afford it and we have the young winning team right now. Should be moderately attractive to some FA

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
If he smart, he gives Zimmer any player he wants. We can afford it and we have the young winning team right now. Should be moderately attractive to some FA

And two first round picks. What the ****. If you guys had a halfway decent FO and coaching staff, I'd almost be afraid.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
And two first round picks. What the ****. If you guys had a halfway decent FO and coaching staff, I'd almost be afraid.

I know right.
Our defensive staff is solid.
And Gruden is looking like a great find.

We still have Brown and Giggles.
Katie Blackburn needs to just take over already.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm maintaining it. Bengals need to try and sign Nicks, and move up for Trent. I'm still not an overly huge Dalton guy, but that's a really really nice situation.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
I doubt Nicks leaves New Orleans. I would love to sign him.
I dont wanna move up for Trent really.
If it gets to the point where it wont cost TOO much, then I would do it in a heart beat, but depending on the cost, I wouldnt.

Plus with Nicks, even at top guard money, we would still have room to sign a few others. Hopefully a SS

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm maintaining it. Bengals need to try and sign Nicks, and move up for Trent. I'm still not an overly huge Dalton guy, but that's a really really nice situation.

Bringing in Mario Williams and coming out of the first round with DeCastro/Kendall Wright would be a hell of a coup for the Bengals IMO. Bring Benson back on the cheap or draft a RB in the later rounds.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
If it gets to the point where it wont cost TOO much, then I would do it in a heart beat, but depending on the cost, I wouldnt.

Plus with Nicks, even at top guard money, we would still have room to sign a few others. Hopefully a SS

Nicks could give the Bengals one of the best OLs in the game (unless Smith regressed massively down the stretch, I thought he played well), plus soon to be top 5 WR, TE, RB. With Gruden calling the shots. My god.

And as you said, plenty of money left over.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Bringing in Mario Williams and coming out of the first round with DeCastro/Kendall Wright would be a hell of a coup for the Bengals IMO. Bring Benson back on the cheap or draft a RB in the later rounds.

I just can't envision Mario there. Sorry Bengals fans. Also, I'd be shocked if Wright or DeCastro makes it to 21.

Evan Mathis would be a nice add too, at a cheaper price than Nicks.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Id rather sign KiJana than have Benson back.

Nicks could give the Bengals one of the best OLs in the game (unless Smith regressed massively down the stretch, I thought he played well), plus soon to be top 5 WR, TE, RB. With Gruden calling the shots. My god.

And as you said, plenty of money left over.

Smith played like I thought he would as a rookie.
He was finally healthy. And when he got nicked up they babied him a little to make sure. Collins is good enough we shouldnt be too hurt even if he regresses. I will be shocked if someone doesnt offer Collins money to play somewhere else.

It's just sad Bratkowski and Paul Alexander are/were so ******* stupid and played Roland over Collins.

Oh yeah, Paul Alexander can be had for a used douche.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I just can't envision Mario there. Sorry Bengals fans. Also, I'd be shocked if Wright or DeCastro makes it to 21.

Evan Mathis would be a nice add too, at a cheaper price than Nicks.

Evan WILL NOT come back to Cincy as long as Paul Alexander is here. Ever.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Evan WILL NOT come back to Cincy as long as Paul Alexander is here. Ever.

Wow, completely forgot he played there, my bad. So yeah, stay the course. Nicks and Trent. Do it.

Edit: Someone should offer Mathis a nice 3 year deal though. He's good.

Bengals78
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Wow, completely forgot he played there, my bad. So yeah, stay the course. Nicks and Trent. Do it.

I wont be against it. Trust me.
We have the damn money.

I just dont want Nate Livings starting next season. So I will be happy with any upgrade. But if Brown wants fans back in the seats, he better spend his money

NY+Giants=NYG
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
So why aren't the Texans extending Williams again? I know he will cost a lot but as we say here, "You can never have enough pass rushers!" and that model has brought us 2 super bowls. So it's odd when I see teams pass on paying elite talent.

Go_Eagles77
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Edit: Someone should offer Mathis a nice 3 year deal though. He's good.

I'd be pretty surprised if the eagles didn't re-sign him, he's in his best possible situation under Mudd.

Vaylor
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
So why aren't the Texans extending Williams again? I know he will cost a lot but as we say here, "You can never have enough pass rushers!" and that model has brought us 2 super bowls. So it's odd when I see teams pass on paying elite talent.

He would be way too damn expensive.

Pat Sims 90
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM

He wants to be the highest paid defense player in the league that is why.

Rosebud
02-15-2012, 12:53 AM

If the Saints go after Mario hard like I think they should that'd leave Nicks in the wind since I doubt he'd wait for Mario and Brees to get signed before working out his own deal, plus who knows how much money the saints will have left by that point.

MidwestJimmy
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
I think they should consider trading Williams, perhaps for a wide receiver or a draft pick. Mario should be a defensive end in a 4-3 anyway because of his size. The Texans could use him as a DE in the 4-1 defense in passing situations (they go from base D to dime and skip over the nickel) like the 49ers do with Aldon Smith in their nickel. But Williams cost too much to not start him. (And I have a feeling Smith will be starting at OLB for SF in 2012, now that he's no longer a rookie.)

NY+Giants=NYG
02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
He would be way too damn expensive.

Well usually the best will be expensive. Did you think elite pass rushers come cheap? If JPP has another sick season, forget Williams, JPP will be commanding insane amount of money. I know for us, pass rushers are our model. "You can never have too many pass rushers!"

Nalej
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
What's a pass rushers?

crossroads
02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Well usually the best will be expensive. Did you think elite pass rushers come cheap? If JPP has another sick season, forget Williams, JPP will be commanding insane amount of money. I know for us, pass rushers are our model. "You can never have too many pass rushers!"

Ideally, I think they'd love to have Williams back. But franchise tagging him would cost them about 20ish million or so (i think, could be wrong), and they don't exactly have a ton of cap space. Add on to that they need to re-sign Arian Foster and a couple of their o-linemen, and it could mean they basically have to decide between keeping one great player or 2-3 good players.

Couple that with the fact that they have a few very good, young passrushers, and that their defense didn't really suffer much without Williams, and you have the perfect storm of circumstances where the Texans would likely be willing to let Williams walk if he won't take a hometown discount.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Ideally, I think they'd love to have Williams back. But franchise tagging him would cost them about 20ish million or so (i think, could be wrong), and they don't exactly have a ton of cap space. Add on to that they need to re-sign Arian Foster and a couple of their o-linemen, and it could mean they basically have to decide between keeping one great player or 2-3 good players.

Couple that with the fact that they have a few very good, young passrushers, and that their defense didn't really suffer much without Williams, and you have the perfect storm of circumstances where the Texans would likely be willing to let Williams walk if he won't take a hometown discount.

I doubt he takes a home town discount. That's too bad if he has to walk. He has tons of potential, but I don't think he deserves that mega contract just based on production alone. When was that 14 sack season? Seems like forever since he had that production. Granted past couple seasons he has been hurt, but his potential vs production isn't equal. Based on his potential alone, he should be producing better.

But none the less, he is still very, very good, and I guess whoever signs him will instantly get a raise in their production.

bucfan12
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Bucs now have almost 70 million in cap space and GM Mark Dominik have said they'll be active. It's hard not to link him to Tampa. No income tax and they have the $$$ to attract him.

bigbuc
02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Bucs now have almost 70 million in cap space and GM Mark Dominik have said they'll be active. It's hard not to link him to Tampa. No income tax and they have the $$$ to attract him.

I'm with you bucfan. With that much money they could go out and do what Philly did. We could see VJax, Nicks and Williams all with the Bucs.

I was saying to another Bucs fan who didn't want us to sign Williams because of Bowers and Clayborn. That Williams signing with the Bucs makes him the best player on the team and one of the top defensive players in the league. That's what the Bucs need... Big time game breakers.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Everyone wants to be in Tampa!

DraftSavant
02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Everyone wants to be in Tampa!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/PAC%2010/Chip_Kelly_NFL.gif

It will never get old.

bantx
02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Vjax already stated he wants to stay in SD we'll see what happens, but it's looking like he'll be back with us.

gpngc
02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
ESPN's John Clayton passes along Combine buzz that NFC West teams believe the Seahawks will be one of the primary suitors for free agent OLB/DE Mario Williams.
Clayton personally asked coach Pete Carroll if he would consider pursuing a high-end defensive end such as Williams or Robert Mathis. After much hemming and hawing, the answer ultimately came back "Yes." While the Seahawks still have to devote money toward re-signing Marshawn Lynch and DT Red Bryant, Clayton believes they will have enough cap room to make Williams the NFL's highest-paid defensive player.
Related: Seahawks
Source: ESPN 710 Seattle
Feb 28 - 6:03 PM

If you add Mario Williams to that defense... ...scary.

vidae
02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Omg, tampering! Tampering!

FlyingElvis
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Omg, tampering! Tampering!

lol

It's kind of silly, as any coach who says "no, we're not going to bother trying to bring in great players" should just be fired on the spot anyway.

Bengalsrocket
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
lol

It's kind of silly, as any coach who says "no, we're not going to bother trying to bring in great players" should just be fired on the spot anyway.

Lying to the media isn't a crime. Just say always no, even if you don't mean it.

asdf1223
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't think any head coach even Pete Carroll would go and say to a national reporter we are going to heavily pursue a certain player of another team. Just Clayton stirring stuff up.