PDA

View Full Version : Dre Kirkpatrick Busted for Pot

MURPHMAN
01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/01/17/dre-kirkpatrick-arrested-for-pot-possession-a-week-after-declaring-for-nfl-draft

Sheesh

SuperPacker
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Wave goodbye to the first round. We could of had 3 top 10 corner if it werent for Janoris Jenkins and Dre Kirkpatrick being idiots. We'll only have 1 now.

JRTPlaya21
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes bc pot use kept Calvin, Akoye & Gaines out of the first round years ago...

Complex
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Oh No he smoked weed the gateway drug. This will lead to cocaine then crack then finally meth do not want anymore.

MURPHMAN
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm sure Cincy will still give him a hard look with one of their top picks.

DeepThreat
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Wave goodbye to the first round. We could of had 3 top 10 corner if it werent for Janoris Jenkins and Dre Kirkpatrick being idiots. We'll only have 1 now.

If you think one pot incident is going to drop Dre Kirkpatrick out of the first round...

Razor
01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Show me a player that claims not to have smoked pot and I'll show you a liar. The teams don't care about this. They'll ask him about and tell him that he can't do that **** from august to february, but that's about it I think.

jrdrylie
01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
It will take him off the board of some teams (Jacksonville to be specific). But a lot of teams have shown a tendency to take guys with issues. He'll could drop out of the top-ten, but some team will see his value and jump on him before he makes it to 15.

SuperPacker
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Fine, might not cost him a 1st but still not a good thing that teams will look positively on.

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Meh. Minor, poorly timed annoyance. He'll still be a top 10 pick.

ChiFan24
01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Show me a player that claims not to have smoked pot and I'll show you a liar. The teams don't care about this. They'll ask him about and tell him that he can't do that **** from august to february, but that's about it I think.

Tebow.

Regardless, this is a non-isse in my mind. Does anyone actually care about weed anymore?

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Tebow.

Regardless, this is a non-isse in my mind. Does anyone actually care about weed anymore?

Eh, not so much. Might make a team that was on the fence between him and another prospect at their position lean the other way.

But like I said, he'll still be a high pick. A pot arrest/positive drug test seems no worse than a DUI anymore.

Annoying and stupid moves, but not the end of the world for a prospect.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm more concerned about his actual play being worthy of the top 10

who cares if he got busted for weed

asdf1223
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Anthony Mccoy dropped atleast a couple of rounds for his positive test a couple of years ago. Its not as if Teams don't care at all. It will impact his draft positioning.

whatadai
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Talib was caught 3 times and didn't drop out of the first round. But then...teams could look at Talib now and be afraid of Kirkpatrick.

San Diego Chicken
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
A marijuana arrest is much worse than admitting you've tried marijuana in the past ala Calvin Johnson. 99% of the people who try weed don't get caught by the authorities for it.

JRTPlaya21
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Meh if he ends up in Washington I won't complain.

PoopSandwich
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh no an athlete that smokes weed holy ****!

I remember when Calvin Johnson admitted to smoking weed and it killed his draft stock.

asdf1223
01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
If it puts him in the drug monitoring or whatever the program the NFL calls it, the next time he tests positive, he gets an automatic 4 game suspension and the second time he gets a full year. Huge difference from just admitting you've tried pot.

Caulibflower
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Percy Harvin? Or how about we just start naming names of guys who went in the first round after being outed as smokers?

bigbuc
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
He falls 3 to 5 spots. Cost himself at least a million dollars

TACKLE
01-17-2012, 03:22 PM
This weed charge could cause to drop him below Janoris....

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
This weed charge could cause him below Janoris Jenkins....

He has had his own problems and just played a year of 1-AA ball. Doubtful.

rockio42
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm more concerned about his actual play being worthy of the top 10

who cares if he got busted for weed

^All of this.

If he goes after 10 its not because of the weed, it's because he isn't worth that high of a pick for most teams.

SRogers92
01-17-2012, 03:29 PM
C'mon Dre, fall to my Lions!

Scotty D
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
A marijuana arrest is much worse than admitting you've tried marijuana in the past ala Calvin Johnson. 99% of the people who try weed don't get caught by the authorities for it.

This is correct.

TACKLE
01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
He has had his own problems and just played a year of 1-AA ball. Doubtful.

Internet sarcasm fail by me.

nepg
01-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Don't care. Who cares about pot? Unless the guy is Sam Hurd'ing it, I just plain don't give a ****.

nepg
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, a lot of the people who have tried weed aren't black and don't get stopped and searched at a high rate.

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Don't care. Who cares about pot? Unless the guy is Miles Austin'ing it, I just plain don't give a ****.

lol.

ten chars

nepg
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
lol.

ten chars
Indeed. I always got those two confused. LOL indeed.

LonghornsLegend
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
If anything it just helped his chances of making it to Dallas...

Though it did get me wondering, off field issues put aside, how much of a difference is there in talent between him and Janoris Jenkins?

SuperPacker
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Well, a lot of the people who have tried weed aren't black and don't get stopped and searched at a high rate.

"You have gave out too much reputation in the last 24 hours"

akvikefan89
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
A marijuana arrest is much worse than admitting you've tried marijuana in the past ala Calvin Johnson.

I was going to say the same thing.

SuperPacker
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
If anything it just helped his chances of making it to Dallas...

Though it did get me wondering, off field issues put aside, how much of a difference is there in talent between him and Janoris Jenkins?

I think Janoris is a much better player. Janoris is a top 5 pick without the issues but i think Kirkpatrick is a mid first round pick, if that.

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
I think Janoris is a much better player. Janoris is a top 5 pick without the issues but i think Kirkpatrick is a mid first round pick, if that.

Janoris is too undersized to have ever been a top 10 pick. 5'10 180ish? Nah.

Kirkpatrick is listed at 6'2 (probably 6'0-6'1 in actuality since those numbers are usually exaggerated) and thicker.

Bengals78
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Great a new CB to mock to us

descendency
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
It isn't that he smoked the weed. It's that he got caught.

You don't get caught with weed on you sitting in your house, quietly smoking it. You get caught in public doing something dumb (usually).

San Diego Chicken
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM

And a lot of people who try weed don't transport it in their vehicles, fewer transport it in a way that would get them searched or caught, and much fewer have million dollar football careers to risk by getting caught. In other words, Kirkpatrick is a moron. Wouldn't blow a first rounder on him. Not sure he had first round ability to begin with to be honest.

CDCB14
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Kirkpatrick is a weird case because no one can get a true feel for his ability.

Regardless of this arrest, he could go in the top ten or fall to the 20's. Those "odd" type prospects are always scaring, and I prefer to take them later than earlier. If some people have him as a late 1st rounder, there's a reason for it. I wouldn't mind Dallas taking him at 14, but he's just a weird prospect.

As far as him vs. Janoris goes, that's hard because again they both now have character issues, and they are completely different style CBs. One is 5'10'' 180 and relies on speed, the other is 6'2'' 205 and is physical. It really depends on who your other CBs are in my opinion. If you already have speedsters, take Kirkpatrick. If you already have a physical corner, take Jenkins. If you have neither, pick your poison.

BaLLiN
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Janoris is too undersized to have ever been a top 10 pick. 5'10 180ish? Nah.

Kirkpatrick is listed at 6'2 (probably 6'0-6'1 in actuality since those numbers are usually exaggerated) and thicker.

Pacman Jones went #6, DeAngelo Hall went #8. Pacman is listed at 5'10'' but probably more like 5'9'', and Hall is listed as 5'10'' on nfl.com but 5'11'' on wiki. Both are also under 200 lbs. Antrel Rolle was drafted 8th overall and although he's listed at 6'0'' he is probably more like 5'11'' from comparing him with other players on the giants. I realize things have changed, but their size can be overcome. Height is just something that everyone wants at the position, but its not like talent can't override that.

Mitchell
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
I can promise everybody one thing, Redskins will not draft this kid.

The Linebacker
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
He's most likely off the Jaguars draft board now.

sbh15
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
if i'm picking 10-20 and need a corner, i'm celebrating right now

CDCB14
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
if i'm picking 10-20 and need a corner, i'm celebrating right now

It would be epic if somebody like Jerry Jones told him to do this so he would drop, and then he'll pay him alittle extra. LOL

ThePudge
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
If Dre Kirkpatrick is not off the board by the 14th pick (Dallas) he certainly will not get past the Cowboys. Physical, rangy corners possessing Kirkpatrick's size & athleticism simply don't fall far. There will still be teams that will give him a very close look in the Top 10 (Washington, Carolina) and it'd surprise me if the Tide star fell past Kansas City at 11.

Any arrest hurts, but sometimes there are skill-sets that supersede any *relatively minor* red flags. Interview process at the Combine will be hugely important, but IMO Kirkpatrick retains a strangle-hold on the #2 CB spot in this draft. Maybe he's taken off a few boards, but this is unlikely to cost him much more than his inevitable fine.

DBNYDP
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Tebow.

I don't know Tebow seems really stoned sometimes.

And I doubt any team honestly cares. It's 2012 people, I think every NFL team knows that most of these guys have smoked at some time.

K Train
01-17-2012, 07:10 PM
i dont think hes a top 10 caliber player anyway. id say top 20 if they play him at safety

holt_bruce81
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I think this has zero influence on his stock.

Complex
01-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Jenkins is better than Kirtpatrick IMHO.

Mitchell
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
I think this has zero influence on his stock.

It should. Until you feel the pain of having your team lose two players for 4 weeks, you have no idea.

JRTPlaya21
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Jenkins is better than Kirtpatrick IMHO.

Did you check out Jenkins play any last season? I sure caught zero of his games to be honest.

DraftSavant
01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Did you check out Jenkins play any last season? I sure caught zero of his games to be honest.

He didn't even make first team All American. Only made it as a returner. Josh Buchannon (best small school guy) said he played mediocre at best this year.

Complex
01-17-2012, 09:06 PM

No, I was talking about while he was at Florida.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I didn't read the 2nd page so maybe someone brought this up but, it's not that he smoked weed. Or that he got caught.

It's that he was dumb enough to be doing it right now as he's about to be scrutinized beyond belief. Is it a major blow to his draft stock? No. But now there's doubts about him.

CDCB14
01-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Here's a youtube vid of Jenkins at North Alabama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06Kj8ACvIM

I don't know how much of the season it covers, but it's something.

TheRubberDuck45
01-17-2012, 09:12 PM
He didn't even make first team All American. Only made it as a returner. Josh Buchannon (best small school guy) said he played mediocre at best this year.

His stats were mediocre because no one threw his way all year. He made a habit of making plays on the other side of the field. Im pretty sure he had only 1 int all year and iirc, that was a tipped ball.

JRTPlaya21
01-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Here's a youtube vid of Jenkins at North Alabama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06Kj8ACvIM

I don't know how much of the season it covers, but it's something.

Thank you sir. Lol at Boosie in the background. I hope he looks sharp at the combine & pro days.

holt_bruce81
01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
It should. Until you feel the pain of having your team lose two players for 4 weeks, you have no idea.

Until you feel the pain on passing on EVERYONE who doesn't fit the four pillars (Faith, Character, Core Values, Team First) of the Rams, you have no idea.

BeerBaron
01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Until you feel the pain on passing on EVERYONE who doesn't fit the four pillars (Faith, Character, Core Values, Team First) of the Rams, you have no idea.

Sounds like the makings of a good church flag football team...

(It took everything I had to resist the urge to make a racist joke...)

OSUGiants17
01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Is weed even a drug? Like let's be serious here. The guy smoked weed one time(that we know of, I'm sure teams already suspect this anyways. Like you can't be in a huge college like Bama, be on the football team, win a National Championship and not be exposed to drugs) and that outweighs his immense talent and causes him to drop 22 spots? ********! The guys till a top 10 pick.

Timbathia
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Is weed even a drug? Like let's be serious here. The guy smoked weed one time(that we know of, I'm sure teams already suspect this anyways. Like you can't be in a huge college like Bama, be on the football team, win a National Championship and not be exposed to drugs) and that outweighs his immense talent and causes him to drop 22 spots? ********! The guys till a top 10 pick.

Do you know what the chances are of smoking pot only one time and getting caught on that one occasion? I sure dont, but would guess it is similar to the chances of winning the lottery.

BlindSite
01-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Like njx9 said, it's not whether or not weed is inherently evil.

The fact is he got caught with a baggie of the devil's lettuce during the three month period that could affect the rest of his life. That shows poor judgement. The full details haven't gone out and more of the story will become apparent when the combine and all manner of dog and pony shows start when he'll begin to make statements explaining what he's done.

Some teams are going to be scared off by this, but his freakish size and athleticism coupled with what teams will see on the field will lead to him falling, but not by much.

I think if he's there he doesn't get past Carolina, they face a lot of big receivers and have a need in the secondary. That being said unless he interviews extremely well and explains himself satisfactorily I can see him taking a bigger tumble than most expect.

Fact is a guy who is caught with weed during the most important 3 months of his college career, is a risk to be in strip clubs at 3 in the morning on game day and hanging out with criminals and miscreants pacman style.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Kirkpatricks and I'd love to see him in Carolina but this is a massive concern for any team looking to build for the future. You can't have young rich guys who make boneheaded decisions when you need them to be level headed. At the end of day just toking isn't that big of a deal, hell it took williams like his 5th year to get suspended and he smokes more than snoop dogg.

It's the fact he was dumb enough to get caught and couldn't be sensible for three months.

SilentJaguar
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Here's the write-up Alabama's Scout site had on the arrest:

Pair of former UA players arrested (http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1319798)

hockey619
01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh no an athlete that smokes weed holy ****!

I remember when Calvin Johnson admitted to smoking weed and it killed his draft stock.

it did though, he fell so far that he went after jawalrus a huge draft bust. and if someone thinks jawalrus is better than you, you must really suck.

If Dre Kirkpatrick is not off the board by the 14th pick (Dallas) he certainly will not get past the Cowboys. Physical, rangy corners possessing Kirkpatrick's size & athleticism simply don't fall far. There will still be teams that will give him a very close look in the Top 10 (Washington, Carolina) and it'd surprise me if the Tide star fell past Kansas City at 11.

Any arrest hurts, but sometimes there are skill-sets that supersede any *relatively minor* red flags. Interview process at the Combine will be hugely important, but IMO Kirkpatrick retains a strangle-hold on the #2 CB spot in this draft. Maybe he's taken off a few boards, but this is unlikely to cost him much more than his inevitable fine.

is that the pudge? holy ghost-of-nfl-drafts-past batman!

thisthisthis. i don't care about the weed. i care that he's now in the vince young tier of utter and complete morons. don't want, wouldn't touch.

yeah, basically it confirms hes a total dumb****.

Spaceboy1
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Everyone in the NFL smokes pot, this isnt a big deal.

CashmoneyDrew
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Again, that's not really the issue for Dre.

DraftSavant
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
This is, like, the only three months of his entire life that he can't blaze. Gotta have just a little self-control, bro. Have someone else pick it up for you at least, and don't carry it on yourself. Jesus.

Shane P. Hallam
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM

That's not true at all.

Prowler
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
please fall to pick #23 or at least somewhere close enough for an easy trade

Canadian_draft_fan
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
This is, like, the only three months of his entire life that he can't blaze. Gotta have just a little self-control, bro. Have someone else pick it up for you at least, and don't carry it on yourself. Jesus.
Ask Trent Williams & Fred Davis about that.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
That's not true at all.

LOL what league do you watch? You wanna put the number at 80% so you can sleep at night lol?

Dude, not to be racist, but ever player besides maybe white sloppy OL smoke, and they probably do too.

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 03:45 PM
The truth is it is illegal and some prospects paid the price and some did not.

As a Pats fan, we took advantage of the drop and got Hernandez is the 4th.

The question is if this a bad trend or just some guy hanging out with friends and get high? We can't really know.

I think he drops a few spots, some teams will drop him, but I don't see him leaving the first. I think a few teams won't be phased, especially if he interviews well. I definitely would like his skill sets on the Pats, but I don't see him dropping that far. I still think he is the number two corner and mid first value.

Abaddon
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Teams will worry more about his overall decision making more than the actual arrest. They'll say "You're about to land a 7 figure gig. Everything you do between your freshman year and draft day is your resume. Why the hell would you choose to carry weed on you when you know this much is at stake?"

Seriously, though. This is why women have an extra pocket. Keep a woman with you so she can keep the baggy up her sniz. Dummy.

Spaceboy1
01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
If the NBA and/or NFL tested for Pot during the season, there would be no season....

YAYareaRB
01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I dare all the teams to let him slip to the 49ers hahaha Harbaugh will laugh in your face and make him an All Pro

Complex
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
The truth is it is illegal and some prospects paid the price and some did not.

As a Pats fan, we took advantage of the drop and got Hernandez is the 4th.

The question is if this a bad trend or just some guy hanging out with friends and get high? We can't really know.

I think he drops a few spots, some teams will drop him, but I don't see him leaving the first. I think a few teams won't be phased, especially if he interviews well. I definitely would like his skill sets on the Pats, but I don't see him dropping that far. I still think he is the number two corner and mid first value.

Didn't he fail a couple drug test at Florida?

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Seriously, though. This is why women have an extra pocket. Keep a woman with you so she can keep the baggy up her sniz. Dummy.

It shouldn't even be that hard. How hard is it to pay someone to just go pick it up for you and bring it to wherever you are, so you don't have to be on the road what so ever? Not like it'd be that hard, he's just an idiot and doesn't think. He would still have to worry about passing a drug test at the combine, but the arrest part is utter stupidity even though it won't drop him past the first 15 picks.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
prove it. seriously. or stop with the 'i'm right because you all know i'm right' crap.

Dude, do you see where 95% of these guys come from? Then they get rich. They smoke bro... There, I proved it!

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Didn't he fail a couple drug test at Florida?

Pretty sure he failed the test at the combine.

We actually drafted Brandon Tate after a torn up knee and a positive test. He just didn't work out as a receiver for other reasons.

PrimetimeTheDon
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Megatron admitted to pot use, without even failing a test.

Dre would be in my top 10 overall without hesitation. He and Barron are ******* studs.

villagewarrior
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
While most potheads consider weed to be a minor thing, I think the arrest is not what is worrisome so much as his ability to not be an idiot. Even as talented as Kirkpatrick is he only has so many opportunities to make it in the league, win championships, and get paid. Anything he does that endangers his chance at these limited opportunities is stupidity, pure and simple. Which, actually, makes sense coming from a pothead.

Shane P. Hallam
01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Megatron admitted to pot use, without even failing a test.

Big difference between that and getting busted.

DraftSavant
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Big difference between that and getting busted.

^^^^

It's not even a comparable situation, really.

Admitting that you used to drink underage is completely different from getting busted for a DUI.

Complex
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
It shouldn't even be that hard. How hard is it to pay someone to just go pick it up for you and bring it to wherever you are, so you don't have to be on the road what so ever? Not like it'd be that hard, he's just an idiot and doesn't think. He would still have to worry about passing a drug test at the combine, but the arrest part is utter stupidity even though it won't drop him past the first 15 picks.

Naw, he doesn't have to worry about that. THC traces should be gone by then.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I cannot see him going top 10 with this on his resume, not in a league that has drug testing. This has cost him a lot of money and I'd look for him to possibly go in the 15-20 range.

RaiderNation
01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I think this locks him to Dallas at 14. He's the type of prospect Jerry will love and fits a big need for them .

Lil Quip
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Naw, he doesn't have to worry about that. THC traces should be gone by then.

A failed test at the combine would be pretty awful for him.

NFL people should be knowledgeable about pot to know how long it shows up. If he fails again, they would realize he smoked again, starting a trend.

He made a mistake. Lots of people think they can get away with something forever until you get caught. Now that he did, if he has got an ounce of brain matter, he will be squeaky clean.

Prowler
01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Any agent worth a damn would have his system clean by then anyway. Failure at the combine is just stupid.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
The trouble with getting caught in college is that they don't really give a damn and test very little because the HC is under immense pressure to win now. He could have been a heavy smoker up until now and got away with it. Sure, they tested him after the season when nobody cares but pro GM's, because it sends a message to the rest of the team that it will hurt them in the draft.
NFL GM's care because the league tests extensively and even if he is clean at the combine, it is going to affect his draft status because a GM can look awful stupid if he gets caught again as a pro and get suspended during the season. Events like that can get a GM fired.

ChiFan24
01-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Dude, do you see where 95% of these guys come from? Then they get rich. They smoke bro... There, I proved it!

Pretty sure if I were a good athlete with a promising NFL future my current weed intake would decrease significantly. I imagine that's the case for more than 5% of the NFL.