PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take Trent Richardson in Top 5?

bucfan12
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
This question has been tossed up by several Buc fans who think he'd be a better selection at 5 over Morrs Claiborne, if they were dealt with this situation.

Regardless of the Bucs situation, if you had a top 5 selection and have a need at RB, would you take Richardson?

Things to take in consideration, Richardson is a complete back and physical bruiser. However, the wear and tear RBs go through in the NFL, consistantly knicked up.

Also, the rest of the field. The RB class is solid and you can get yourself a Lamar Miller, Chris Polk, or Wilson from Va Tech in round 2.

My question: Would you take him in the top 5? Thoughts, opinions?

Halsey
01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't. There's just not a strong correlation between quality at RB and winning. It's not unusual to see a RB have a great year while his team stinks. Look at MJD this past year. He couldn't stop the Jaguars from stinking, despite having an All-Pro year.

DraftSavant
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I love Richardson, and I think elite runningback prospects do deserve to go high. However, Claiborne is also an elite corner prospect, which is inherently more valuable.

If I'm the Bucs, I take Claiborne, but I also think Trent is worth a top 5 pick in a vacuum.

SilentJaguar
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Eh... MoJo had a massive amount of turnover on the roster working against him, though.

RWills
01-18-2012, 01:09 PM
If the Bucs pass and Seattle resigns Lynch, TR can fall all the way to either the Jets or the Bengals

Raiderz4Life
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
No. I wouldn't I could find a RB later that'll be productive.

Preston
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Truly depends. I would, but only in a scenario like Cleveland; great young defense, but an offense that lacks explosion in every sense. I'd pick up Matt Flynn or Brian Hoyer, draft Richardson at 4 and then Floyd/Wright at 22 and let my new QB work with these new weapons.

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't like him in the top five, this year or any unless the top is just devoid of talent.

He is good running back, but not his biggest fan to start of with. I just don't know if he is dynamic enough to give enough value. I think he needs to give in all phases of the game to be worth it. Granted he could be another Tomlinson, who had huge questions in the passing game due to scheme, but blew it up in the NFL.

The only top five teams that might want him are the Browns and I guess the bucs.

I think the Bucs have bigger holes and Claiborne is similar level in quality and better value due to position.

If the Browns want him and not RG3, why not trade down with Washington and get him at 6?

brat316
01-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Nah. Before yeah, but as much as I love a great running game, rather work on the big uglies to make it easier for your 3-UDFA rb to have success. Easiest position to transition and short self life so gotta wait it out.

PrimetimeTheDon
01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes.

His freshman year I considered him a superior prospect to Ingram, whom I considered a very good prospect from his freshman year despite being buried in talent on the depth chart.

Richardson is Adrian Peterson minus the 4.3 speed at this point. And he has the work ethic to improve his explosiveness to that low 4.4 to high 4.3 type of level.

If Richardson cracks the 4.4's at the combine, he will be top 5 overall for him. If he can hit 4.40 or lower, I'd rate him #1 overall.

You watch this kid early in the year against inferior opposition and it was just amazing. On 4th and goal you'd say, run a PITCH to Trent, bc if TWO people meet him at the one yard line, he is scoring.

That **** is rare. Very rare.

He is perhaps the best RB prospect since Peterson (who I ranked 2nd overall to megatron).

Scott Wright
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
If ever there was a running back who is worth it, it's Richardson.

With that said, if I were running a team I'd be waiting until Round 3 for a running back this year.

bigbuc
01-18-2012, 09:10 PM
As a Bucs fan I would have no problem with us drafting Richardson. To team a young QB in Freeman with a monster RB like him would be great for both.

Also with the new rookie pool we would be signing him to what a 18 million dollar deal? You see how much top backs go for on the open market! It would be a steal for us.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
If I'm Tampa? No. Get a scat back to pair with Blount and go and get the elite CB prospect.

But, I'd definitely take Trent top 5. Just such a talented prospect. He's someone you can easily give 365+ touches to. If I'm the Bengals, I'm trying to trade up for him. I'm still not sold on Dalton being a franchise guy, but if you give him that line (pick up a G in FA) with weapons like Richardson, Gresham, and Green with Gruden calling the plays? You could be looking at some big things.

Lil Quip
01-18-2012, 09:39 PM
As a Bucs fan I would have no problem with us drafting Richardson. To team a young QB in Freeman with a monster RB like him would be great for both.

Also with the new rookie pool we would be signing him to what a 18 million dollar deal? You see how much top backs go for on the open market! It would be a steal for us.

I don't think people are arguing he could provide value. The thinking is that you can add more value to your team by going elsewhere. Skill wise there might be a bit of overlap with Blount. If you go forward with Blount and a shiftier guy much later in the draft, plus a top flight corner prospect, isn't that better overall talent than adding Richardson?

DeepThreat
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I absolutely would take Richardson in the top five.

We pretty well know Luck, Kalil and Claiborne will go in the top five.

Luck will go first. Then there are several scenarios to consider. The Rams take Kalil. That leaves the Vikings looking to trade back or taking Claiborne. If they take Claiborne, that leaves Cleveland with RG3. Then, if I'm Tampa Bay, I take Trent.

Now, if RG3, Kalil and Luck are the first three picks, that leaves the Browns with Trent and Claiborne. I would take Claiborne, but I would understand taking Trent. He's a terrific talent. Then I take Trent if I'm the Bucs.

If the Browns would take, say, Blackmon with RG3 already gone, however, we have a different story. That would leave the Bucs with Trent and Claiborne available. Then I take Claiborne, and Trent is not a top-five pick.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't. There's just not a strong correlation between quality at RB and winning. It's not unusual to see a RB have a great year while his team stinks. Look at MJD this past year. He couldn't stop the Jaguars from stinking, despite having an All-Pro year.

Terrible argument. Other then a QB, what one position would have altered the Jags season and made it any different then what it was?

Scott Wright
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
As much as I respect Richardson's talent, I am confident that I can get a runner in the third round who can give me similar production for a fraction of the cost. Especially this year.

scottyboy
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
it's interesting to look at because to most he's the best RB prospect since Peterson (I mean, I have Ray Rice up there, but what do I know?), and Peterson didn't even crack the top 5. I certainly would because he's got such an incredible skillset and natural talent, it depends on the team really. Guys like McFadden went 4 IIRC, so it's a pretty interesting debate on the team, needs and really who else is there. If your team needs a RB (or some sort of playmaker on O) and also a DT, but there's not really any DT's there...is someone really gonna pull up the old "RB's aren't worth it that high?"
-granted, I know if you're picking that high you've got many needs, but the argument still holds really

scottyboy
01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
As much as I respect Richardson's talent, I am confident that I can get a runner in the third round who can give me similar production for a fraction of the cost. Especially this year.

I've always felt it really depends on a guy being drafted by the "right" team and the right situation. A team who gets a RB in the 3rd round may not have many other needs and a solid O and the guy can fill in and not miss a beat, whereas a team picking this high may need that uber talented gamechanger to win games and where them waiting til the 3rd round, that guy may not be as productive

keylime_5
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM
It is pretty easy to find a good back in rounds 2, 3, or later. On top of that, they have the shortest shelf-life of any position in the NFL. Unless it's a hall of fame type player like LT, Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, etc. then I wouldn't take one in the top 10 picks unless my only team need really was to find a top notch runningback. I think Richardson is more like Mo Drew or Steven Jackson or Matt Forte than Peterson, Tomlinson, or Sanders. I wouldn't take him worth a top 5 pick.

Complex
01-18-2012, 10:28 PM
it's interesting to look at because to most he's the best RB prospect since Peterson (I mean, I have Ray Rice up there, but what do I know?), and Peterson didn't even crack the top 5. I certainly would because he's got such an incredible skillset and natural talent, it depends on the team really. Guys like McFadden went 4 IIRC, so it's a pretty interesting debate on the team, needs and really who else is there. If your team needs a RB (or some sort of playmaker on O) and also a DT, but there's not really any DT's there...is someone really gonna pull up the old "RB's aren't worth it that high?"
-granted, I know if you're picking that high you've got many needs, but the argument still holds really

I am pretty sure the reason he wasn't a top 5 pick was because teams thought he might need surgery on something forget but that is why he fail.

K Train
01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
yes, hes a monster. i loved ingram but it was just so clear that richardson was the more beastly one

DeepThreat
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
It is pretty easy to find a good back in rounds 2, 3, or later.

Yeah, you can find good backs in rounds two and three, but how many of them are stars? Trent Richardson is, in my mind, a guaranteed star.

Ray Rice and Matt Forte were great picks. If I knew I could get Rice in the second round over A.P. in the top ten, I absolutely would. It isn't that simple though.

Tons of running backs are drafted in the second round. In the past three years, Montario Hardesty, Ben Tate, Ryan Williams, Shane Vereen, Daniel Thomas, Toby Gerhart, and Shonn Greene were all drafted in the second round.

It's not like drafting a running back in the second round guarantees you're getting LeSean McCoy.

SRK85
01-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Exactly and there will probably not be any elite CBs in round 3. If Clairborne is there I hope the bucs take him. No need to waste a 1st round pick on a RB when some of the best backs in the league are usually drafted in the 2-5 rounds.

bigbuc
01-19-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't think people are arguing he could provide value. The thinking is that you can add more value to your team by going elsewhere. Skill wise there might be a bit of overlap with Blount. If you go forward with Blount and a shiftier guy much later in the draft, plus a top flight corner prospect, isn't that better overall talent than adding Richardson?

Who would you want?

Richardson 1st and 2nd Chase Minnifield/Janoris Jenkins?

Or

Claiborne 1st and 2nd Lamichael James/Chris Polk?

Scotty D
01-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Who would you want?

Or

I do agree this is an interesting question. My initial choice would be to go Claiborne. The Bucs offense did take a step back this year though. They could use an elite runner like Richardson to give that offense a boost. I don't think they can go in to another season with Blount as the only guy. But then you look at last year and a guy like Demarco Murray was drafted in the third round. I don't think you can lose either way really. In a division with Drew Brees and the pass happy NFL in general I go with Claiborne. Barber is ancient and Talib is a risk to get suspended long term at any moment.

Bengalsrocket
01-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Here's my opinion on drafting a RB early.

If you have a QB who sits between Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo / Philip Rivers, talent wise, then you probably don't want to draft a good RB early. Your team could arguably get more production throwing the ball 40-50 teams a game then handing it off to a great running back 20 times a game anyways.

But if you're a team sitting on Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, an unknown like Matt Flynn and then possibly some higher tier guys who work out of a run system like Matt Ryan then I think someone like Richardson is a fantastic investment to your team. This guy isn't just a runner, he can protect and catch as well, which most 3rd round backs cannot do right away.

It seems like some people don't even believe that Richardson is the best back in this draft. Make no mistake, he certainly is. He should be the most productive back from this draft, baring injuries / a team with a poor O-line drafting him.

Also, let's just squash something real fast. The reason MJD doesn't help the Jaguars win games is because they have some of the worst talent in the league, period. The Rams are in a similar boat with S-jax. A good halfback DOES contribute to victories, but he can't do it on his own.

It's no different than the fact that Andre Johnson didn't turn the Texans into an instant play off team - but WR's are still coveted. Or how about Revis not making the Jets instant superbowl contenders. Does that mean we shouldn't draft a CB in the top 15?

This is a team game, let's not forget that.

Mufasa
01-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Tons of running backs are drafted in the second round. In the past three years, Montario Hardesty, Ben Tate, Ryan Williams, Shane Vereen, Daniel Thomas, Toby Gerhart, and Shonn Greene were all drafted in the second round.

It's not like drafting a running back in the second round guarantees you're getting LeSean McCoy.
Darren McFadden, Reggie Bush, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams

Neither does taking one in the top 5.

descendency
01-19-2012, 02:45 AM
He's a stud. He's not a franchise maker, though.

In a draft class with 2 QBs (top 5 material), there is no way I'd take him top 5.

I love Richardson, but he's just not a franchise changer. He's a very good RB who should go top 10 but who could also be neutralized on offenses that don't have a passing game already (see Alabama vs LSU).

PrimeTime
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Who would you want?

Or

I would rather have Richardson and Janoris Jenkins personally. I feel Janoris will be a beast in the league. Richardson will be a star as well.

bucfan12
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I would rather have Richardson and Janoris Jenkins personally. I feel Janoris will be a beast in the league. Richardson will be a star as well.

Character issues: He'll probably go to Cincy.

Someone will take him at the end of Round 1.

Me personally, I wouldn't want him, especially in Tampa. The Bucs already have a headache at CB in Talib, why get another?

K Train
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
didnt jenkins not even play that well at n. bama?

im really not sure hes a first round prospect, and i wouldnt even consider putting him in the best in the league discussion...he has asante samuel like potential but that remains to be seen and if he didnt show it at a small school where he was a man among boys, what makes anything think he will show it right away in the NFL?

bucfan12
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
didnt jenkins not even play that well at n. bama?

im really not sure hes a first round prospect, and i wouldnt even consider putting him in the best in the league discussion...he has asante samuel like potential but that remains to be seen and if he didnt show it at a small school where he was a man among boys, what makes anything think he will show it right away in the NFL?

Thank you.

I'd prefer:

Claiborne 1st
then
Polk 2nd.

Brown Leader
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Knee scope. Won't run or do any drills. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7462/trent-richardson

brat316
02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Man that some weak stuff. Be doing that stuff on purpose some of these guys.

DeathbyStat
02-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I'd take Claiborne everytime

Pat Sims 90
02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Man that some weak stuff. Be doing that stuff on purpose some of these guys.

Yea he wants to play in Cincy.

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
No. The way the modern NFL operates, I don't think any running back is worth a top 5 pick, no matter how good he is.

I mean, if you could guarantee me that he'd be a first ballot hall of famer right now, I would probably take him in the top 5, but that's an unrealistic scenario, as there are no guarantees in the actual draft (and I would take a player at any position in the top 5 if you could guarantee me he's a first ballot hall of famer; especially punter.)

keylime_5
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, you can find good backs in rounds two and three, but how many of them are stars? Trent Richardson is, in my mind, a guaranteed star.

Ray Rice and Matt Forte were great picks. If I knew I could get Rice in the second round over A.P. in the top ten, I absolutely would. It isn't that simple though.

Ben Tate is pretty darn freakin' good. The chances of drafting a good, starting, even pro bowl RB in round 2 or 3 aren't that bad actually. There is a far better chance you draft a pro bowl RB with a round 2/3 pick than any other position.

You are better off taking your chances in round 2 or 3 b/c the chances of getting another Jones-Drew, Tate, Forte, DeMarco Murray, Jamaal Charles, Frank Gore, etc. are pretty decent....while the chances of drafting a first round RB turning out to be just a Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, CJ Spiller, William Green, TJ Duckett, Tim Biakabatuka, KiJana Carter, Curtis Enis type, etc. aren't that bad either. You are much more likely to get a guy like that with a first round pick than you are an LT, OJ, Barry, Emmitt, or Chris Johnson or Darren McFadden even.

It's so incredibly easy to find a good back in round 2 or later that it's hardly worth taking one so high.....and in today's NFL you need two pretty good backs instead of an elite one....and you don't even need an elite back with how the game is being so QB and passing game oriented. The Saints, Patriots, Colts, Giants, and Packers all won recently with marginal talent at RB - some of those teams didn't even run the ball well at all.

FUNBUNCHER
02-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Trent Richardson won't be participating in drills at the combine due to minor knee surgery but says he will participate in Alabama's pro day.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7604897/2012-nfl-draft-trent-richardson-skip-combine-drills-knee-surgery

I think Richardson is an outstanding prospect but IMO people are overestimating his straightline speed.

He won't get an electronic time from Indy now(funny how that works out!), and at Alabama's pro day I don't see him doing any better than a 4.55-4.6 flat.
Richardson is quick, tough, powerful with decent vision, but I've never been awed by his speed which is why I don't get the comparison to Adrian Peterson.

Richardson is a complete RB, but he's not a guy who's a threat to go the distance on any carry.
Trent is Jamal Lewis without the pure foot speed.

Master Exploder
02-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I believe there are certain QB's that play better in a run first offense. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but guys like Jay Cutler and Matt Ryan are great QB's, really great, when their running game is clicking. However, if you ask them to air it out 40+ times a game, you're going to get mixed results. I think if you have a QB like that and you're in need of a RB, then you got to take Trent Richardson in the top 5. Other than that I'd take my chances later in round 1 or in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Unless of course the 2nd coming of Reggie Bush (don't laugh, he was an extremely talented prospect) or Adrian Peterson (without the injuries) has entered the draft.

BuddyCHRIST
02-23-2012, 06:35 AM
The only way I think its a good idea is if your already a pretty good team that needs a RB. Now why you would be picking that high could be for a variety of reasons (trade, or a major player got injured, or just a bad season). But I just can't see a team with tons of holes to fill spending such a premium pick on a short lived position.

That said I'm a big fan of drafting BPA, and if you have a guy rated that high then sure. I just by nature rate RB's lower due to their position. And if its between Richardson and Mo then its Claiborne every day. He's an elite player at a premium position.

Cardinal96
02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
I would not waste a top 5 pick on a RB. Period. It has been proven that you can get very good RB talent drafting later on. I would focus on elite skill positions. QB, LT, DE, DT, CB.

bitonti
02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
the timing of this knee injury hurts his stock. RB's have such a short career anyway, this is not a good thing for TR.

YoJoeBucsFan
02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
No way.Knee surgery already.

FUNBUNCHER
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Trent's 'knee surgery'. Whatever procedure he had done, I bet if it was during the season he would still play Sunday.

IMO this was probably an elective surgery( like a minor arthroscopic procedure to clean up scar tissue)that allowed him to conveniently miss the combine and give him Richardson a few more weeks to prep for Alabama's pro day.

bitonti
02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
IMO this was probably an elective surgery( like a minor arthroscopic procedure to clean up scar tissue)

the question begs why does a 22 year old have scar tissue? it's tread off the tires and that's a negative.

P-L
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I love Trent, but I wouldn't take him over Morris Claiborne. Both are elite prospects at their position, but a corner is way more valuable than a running back.

onejayhawk
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I love Richardson, and I think elite runningback prospects do deserve to go high. However, Claiborne is also an elite corner prospect, which is inherently more valuable.

If I'm the Bucs, I take Claiborne, but I also think Trent is worth a top 5 pick in a vacuum.

Not more valuable, but longer lived. A typical starting RB is done before season 6. They will sometimes linger, but lingering is what they are doing.

Character issues: He'll probably go to Cincy.

Someone will take him at the end of Round 1.

Me personally, I wouldn't want him, especially in Tampa. The Bucs already have a headache at CB in Talib, why get another?

I do not see him last much past #10, and not til #17. The Chiefs at #11/12 are one possibility.

J

wicket
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
kinda depends on your system. If you run a pass heavy offense like the pats/packers/saints there is no rb that is worth drafting in the first ever imo. Id even venture to say that the receiving third down kinda back has more value for those offenses.

that being said, if you are not one of those teams and when you dont have the qb to fully carry a team richardson is the type of back you might want to go high for.

cliffnotes: depends on the system

jsagan77
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I think a team like Cincy should trade the Skins their 2 1sts form him. He's the type of back that could be a 3 down back for them and take the punishment of the elite D's in the AFC North. That would give them a sick offense with Green, Dalton, Gresham and Richardson. He'd take a ton of pressure off Dalton and open up the play action game that they utilize so well.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
No way would I take Trent Richardson over Morris Claiborne. There are plenty of good running backs in this draft, not to many shut down corners.

Rabscuttle
02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
For the system the Niners run, Richardson would be so sexy. NFCW safeties would hate life, but that would be their issue.

I would want Roger Craig brought in to teach him how to knock a fool out with the high knees to make him perfect.