PDA

View Full Version : Top 6 QBs in terms of "pure armstrength" in NFL

dregolll
01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I know armstrength isn't the only factor when looking at QBs but who would be your top 6 in the league in terms of pure armstrength. The candidates have to be starting QBs also. You don't have to rank them but who are the 6 you think. I will say in no particuliar order Newton,Stafford,Vick,Cutler,Flacco, and Rodgers. What are your?

Rosebud
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Big Ben, Cutler, Stafford, Vick, Newton.

Not sure about #6 since Freeman's the only other starter with a really big arm that I can think of and his arm isn't much stronger than Eli, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers or Flacco's.

Caulibflower
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Big Ben, Cutler, Stafford, Vick, Newton.

Not sure about #6 since Freeman's the only other starter with a really big arm that I can think of and his arm isn't much stronger than Eli, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers or Flacco's.

Flacco would be in there. It's the reason he was a first rounder.

jrdrylie
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
I would say Cutler and Stafford are the top two with Roethlisberger and Vick right behind. Flacco is probably a notch below those two, but still very strong. I don't know that I would put Newton as high as the others. I think Locker's arm is a bit better in terms of pure strength.

JETS5128
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
1. Stafford
2. Flacco
3. Rodgers
4. Newton
5. Cutler
6. Brady

Complex
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
1.Vick
2. Cutler
3.Stafford
4.Locker
5.Newton
6. Flacco

Sloopy
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
1. Stafford
2. Flacco
3. Cutler
4. Vick
5. Locker
6. Big Ben

keylime_5
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Stafford
Cutler
Vick
Flacco
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Newton

I'd say those are the top 7.

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
In no particular order

Stafford
Cutler
Flacco
Vick
Roethlisberger

Can't really think of a 6th. Maybe one of the Manning's or Rodgers.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGj5qQFnnc&feature=related

How is Brady not in the top 6?

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Boy, this is really, really tricky. There are also several ways to look at arm strength, including throwing distance and velocity on shorter passes.

The latter is the more important part to me. That's where "functional" arm strength comes into play and why guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are as effective as they are. Are there other guys who can throw it harder/farther? Absolutely. But they have plenty enough arm strength to fire a pass into a tight window on an intermediate route to pick up a first down.

And that is part of the reason why guys like Russell and Boller failed. They could throw through a brick wall...actually HITTING the brick wall was their downfall.

Beyond that, you have guys like Stafford, Cutler and Vick who can just shoot the ball all over the field. I've personally witnessed Cutler throw laser beams with a defender wrapped around his legs while falling backwards. You can get away with mechanics like that when you've simply got a ridiculous arm.

Big Ben is another. I've seen him half-assedly sidearm passes with two defenders wrapped around him, and those passes STILL travel faster/farther than anything anyone with a pea shooter arm could throw if you allowed them perfect mechanics and a running start.

Raiderz4Life
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
JaMarcus Russell

/thread

Mufasa
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
1. Stafford
2. Flacco
3. Rodgers
4. Newton
5. Cutler
6. Brady
Rodgers isn't #3, he probably shouldn't even make the list. He has an arm that is strong enough to make any throw he needs, but he doesn't have a cannon like Stafford and Cutler. It's his accuracy that is top notch.
JaMarcus Russell

/thread
I think you have to be in the league to make the list.

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Rodgers isn't #3, he probably shouldn't even make the list. He has an arm that is strong enough to make any throw he needs, but he doesn't have a cannon like Stafford and Cutler. It's his accuracy that is top notch.

I think you have to be in the league to make the list.

See, this is an inaccurate statement. As long as you have the accuracy to match the arm strength, the throws you can make seems to increase exponentially forever upwards.

The windows you can reasonably throw into keep getting smaller and smaller, and further and further down the field.

So there's no such thing as a "guy who can make all of the throws." A better way to put it would be to say "a guy who can make all of the reasonable throws."

keylime_5
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
I think Rodgers has improved his arm strength a lot since getting in the league and really has established himself as one of the best arms in the biz. Brady has as well, he can heave it but I don't see him make frozen ropes with as little effort as guys like Cutler, Stafford, Big Ben, Newton, or Vick who seem to keep their feet still and just flick the arm and deliver a ball shot out of a cannon at times.

brat316
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGj5qQFnnc&feature=related

How is Brady not in the top 6?

sure he threw it from his own 12 to the 20 on the other side. But come on man, he clearly reared back and then lunched it.

Guys like Stafford, Cutler, Rothlisberger, Vick can do that without rearing back.

Would be interesting if we evaluated them when they came into the league as prospects. Like Jabust cannon of an arm, or Boller. Brady did develop an arm once he got in the league.

scottyboy
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Chad Pennington
Christian Ponder
Ryan Fitzpatrick
TJ Yates
Tim Tebow
Alex Smith

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Chad Pennington
Christian Ponder
Ryan Fitzpatrick
TJ Yates
Tim Tebow
Alex Smith

Scotty I am disappoint.

How DARE you leave off:

http://eyeofthehurricane.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ken-dorsey.jpg

Almightiest arm of them all?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Boy, this is really, really tricky. There are also several ways to look at arm strength, including throwing distance and velocity on shorter passes.

The latter is the more important part to me. That's where "functional" arm strength comes into play and why guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are as effective as they are. Are there other guys who can throw it harder/farther? Absolutely. But they have plenty enough arm strength to fire a pass into a tight window on an intermediate route to pick up a first down.

And that is part of the reason why guys like Russell and Boller failed. They could throw through a brick wall...actually HITTING the brick wall was their downfall.

Beyond that, you have guys like Stafford, Cutler and Vick who can just shoot the ball all over the field. I've personally witnessed Cutler throw laser beams with a defender wrapped around his legs while falling backwards. You can get away with mechanics like that when you've simply got a ridiculous arm.

Big Ben is another. I've seen him half-assedly sidearm passes with two defenders wrapped around him, and those passes STILL travel faster/farther than anything anyone with a pea shooter arm could throw if you allowed them perfect mechanics and a running start.

I remember one play when Cutler was a rookie that I thought was a pick 6 for sure. Ball on the 1, He threw it and the safety jumped the route. No way the ball got through that window. But then Scheffler turned around, with the ball. Touchdown Broncos. Pretty much the most impressive pure arm strength play I can remember, and it was a 1 yard TD.

Complex
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Didn't they use to have arm competition in the probowl years ago? I remember the head bunch of competitions years ago like the fastest and strongest man.

The need to bring back the probowl competition.

Hurricanes25
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Any thread with a picture of Ken Dorsey is a good one.

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Didn't they use to have arm competition in the probowl years ago? I remember the head bunch of competitions years ago like the fastest and strongest man.

The need to bring back the probowl competition.

The QB Skills Challenge? Those things were actually pretty cool.

They did have a distance throw in them, but that's not a great measuring stick of pure arm strength. For example, I think Jeff Garcia won it one year...

Any NFL QB...hell any average adult male...can probably go out and heave a ball at least 50 yards. Where it go where you were aiming with any velocity though? That's the question.

Raiderz4Life
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
The QB skills challenge was awesome.

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Chad Pennington
Christian Ponder
Ryan Fitzpatrick
TJ Yates
Tim Tebow
Alex Smith

I am not seeing the joke here. Pennington and Fitzpatrick, sure, but Ponder and Tebow both have meh armstrength and Smith is at least average, he really isn't that far behind Rodgers. I haven't seen enough of Yates but at UNC he didn't seem to have a super weak arm.

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I am not seeing the joke here. Pennington and Fitzpatrick, sure, but Ponder and Tebow both have meh armstrength and Smith is at least average, he really isn't that far behind Rodgers. I haven't seen enough of Yates but at UNC he didn't seem to have a super weak arm.

Scotty was clearly just making a list for the LOLz.

Complex
01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Tebow has a arm its not Kyle Bollers but its not Chad Pennington or Charlie Frye.

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

But I don't get the LOLz

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
But I don't get the LOLz

Because you take things too seriously and the inclusion of Alex Smith automatically put you into defense mode?

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Because you take things too seriously and the inclusion of Alex Smith automatically put you into defense mode?

Possibly. I also like Tim Tebow and Christian Ponder, though, so I might have said something anyway.

Edit - Just realized who my 6th would be. Chad Henne

Complex
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
1.Vick
2. Cutler
3.Stafford
4.Locker
5.Newton
6. Flacco

Take Flacco off and put in Ryan Mallet.

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Mallett does have a pretty ridiculous arm. He could be scary if he develops the other requisite abilities like touch and footwork.

Timbathia
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Tebow has a arm its not Kyle Bollers but its not Chad Pennington or Charlie Frye.

As BB said, there are many ways to assess arm strength. One way would be to have all the QBs arm wrestle, and then Timmy would come into the equation.

Brown Leader
01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Biggest arms in the league-starters?

1. Vick
2. Newton
3. Cutler
4. Rodgers
5. Stafford

Next tier

6. Flacco
7. T.Jackson
8. Roethlisberger
9. Freeman
10. E.Manning

MetSox17
01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Ryan Mallet's arm is ridiculous. Sports Science clocks in a 20 yard throw of his at 65.4 mph

Punisher
01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Any NFL QB...hell any average adult male...can probably go out and heave a ball at least 50 yards. .

I'd say most average males cannot throw a football near 50 yards.

SuperMcGee
01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Chad Pennington
Christian Ponder
Ryan Fitzpatrick
TJ Yates
Tim Tebow
Alex Smith

I'm going to affix one of Ray Rice's legs to Fitzpatrick's shoulder. Then who will be laughing? Ryan "Kickpuncher" Fitzpatrick, that's who!

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 05:58 PM

I would have to disagree with that. The average, 5'9'', 180lb male can probably only throw an NFL regulation football 30 yards or so.

A Perfect Score
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I've said time and time again that Jay Cutler throws as good a football as you can possibly throw. I mean, he doesn't always throw it in the right place, but that's an entirely different issue.

Babylon
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Stafford
Cutler
Mallett
Rothliesberger
Locker

Rosebud
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM

How dare you not show outrage that Alex Smith was not spoken of in a glowing light?

Punisher
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I would have to disagree with that. The average, 5'9'', 180lb male can probably only throw an NFL regulation football 30 yards or so.

There is a large difference between throwing a ball 30 yards than throwing a ball 50 yards...

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
There is a large difference between throwing a ball 30 yards than throwing a ball 50 yards...

The thing that people forget is hand size. Any normal man could throw an NFL ball around 50 yards if they had big hands, but 75% of males can't grip it. You need to have abnormally large hands to grip an NFL ball. That's the one downside of being a fan, NFL balls are huge. Every other sport is fine.

I'm 5'11, 185 with average size hands. I can throw a high school ball close to 60 yards. I can't throw an NFL ball over 40 yards because I can't grip it. I'd imagine the case is the same for most males between ages 18 and 40.

abaddon41_80
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Oops. I read that as can throw the ball 50 yards. My bad

wogitalia
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

I'd agree with this.

Tebow clearly has the most arm strength, look at those man cannons. Too bad that the ball quacks when it leaves his hand and thus can't fly far oh and that pure arm strength doesn't correlate to throwing a football.

I'd say that Stafford is #1 on this and Cutler is #2. Probably go Big Ben at #3 and after that it's wide open. Vick is probably my top candidate for 4th.

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Do you guys have little dandy arms or something?

At my parents house, it was about 40 yards from the end of our sidewalk to this pair of sheds we had (at the front), and with a few steps running start, I could hock the ball over them.

It wasn't always accurate and had the velocity of a lousy punt, but it would get there.

This was when I was in high school, 17-18, 6'0 between 180-190 pounds at the time. No freakishly large hands. I'd put the tip of my ring finger on the laces and grip the back end of the ball pretty well.

With practice I probably could have done it regularly.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd agree with this.

Tebow clearly has the most arm strength, look at those man cannons. Too bad that the ball quacks when it leaves his hand and thus can't fly far oh and that pure arm strength doesn't correlate to throwing a football.

I'd say that Stafford is #1 on this and Cutler is #2. Probably go Big Ben at #3 and after that it's wide open. Vick is probably my top candidate for 4th.

I don't know if you were kidding or not, but you're completely wrong. Muscle has almost zero effect on arm strength. It's all about the tendons in your shoulder an how fast they whip forward. This is why arm strength is more or less natural talent. You can do a few exercises to strengthen your arm, but it won't do much.

If it could be improved upon by muscle gain, every pitcher would be throwing 102. Just look at some of your friends the next time you play a sport. I bet you some of the more muscular guys you know can't throw it as far as of of your shrimpy friends. It's just if you got lucky or not with the way your tendons fire.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Do you guys have little dandy arms or something?

At my parents house, it was about 40 yards from the end of our sidewalk to this pair of sheds we had (at the front), and with a few steps running start, I could hock the ball over them.

It wasn't always accurate and had the velocity of a lousy punt, but it would get there.

This was when I was in high school, 17-18, 6'0 between 180-190 pounds at the time. No freakishly large hands. I'd put the tip of my ring finger on the laces and grip the back end of the ball pretty well.

With practice I probably could have done it regularly.

Well you either have bigger hands than you think, or overestimated the distance. The average male can't grip an NFL size ball, thus can't throw it far.

40 yards is child's play though...

BeerBaron
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Another thing, throwing a football for distance is almost like throwing a frisbee in that the amount of "umph" you put into it doesn't matter much as the velocity of the spin.

If you just put all of your strength into throwing the ball but it doesn't get much spin, it's just going to flutter and die midair.

Well you either have bigger hands than you think, or overestimated the distance. The average male can't grip an NFL size ball, thus can't throw it far.

40 yards is child's play though...

It's only 10 fewer yards than my example of 50 and I was throwing it over them, so it was traveling about 50 when it came down.

MetSox17
01-18-2012, 07:35 PM
It's harder to grip a basketball than it is to grip an NFL football.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I feel like Stafford and Cutler are atop the list. Right now they are making some of the most ridiculous throws I've ever seen, from any place, without even planting properly half the time.

Hard to do a top 5 or 6, but I do feel like Mallett would be in this if he was playing. Cam Newton has a laser also. But it'd be tough for me to find somebody to put above Cutler or Stafford in terms of pure arm strength.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
It's harder to grip a basketball than it is to grip an NFL football.

But you don't throw a football with one hand over your shoulder. That has no relevance.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
To be honest, it actually shocks me that shorter QB's like Michael Vick, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, etc. can throw the ball effectively. You would think they would have too small of hands. Of course they probably have abnormally large hands for someone who is around 6'1'' and that's why they are in the NFL playing QB.

People don't realize how big an NFL football is.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
It's only 10 fewer yards than my example of 50 and I was throwing it over them, so it was traveling about 50 when it came down.

You sure it was an NFL sized ball?

WCH
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
But you don't throw a football with one hand over your shoulder. That has no relevance.

Being able to grip a basketball is crucial, if you expect to play the game well. That's a major reason that so few pro players are under 6'2", and most of the "short" guys have incredibly strong hands.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Being able to grip a basketball is crucial, if you expect to play the game well. That's why so few pro players are under 6'2", and most of the "short" guys have incredibly strong hands.

What does that have to do with anything regarding throwing an NFL sized ball? You never throwing a basketball in the motion you would throw a football.

I don't understand why a basketball has been brought into the conversation. It has no relevance whatsoever.

WCH
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
It has all of nothing to do with throwing a football. I'm supposing that people are bringing up basketball because somebody said:

That's the one downside of being a fan, NFL balls are huge. Every other sport is fine.

Perhaps this poster meant to say "every other level of football is fine," but that's certainly not how it read.

keylime_5
01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Mallett is definitely top 3 with Cutler and Stafford. I didn't include him initially b/c I was only counting starting QBs who actually...you know...play.

CDCB14
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
It has all of nothing to do with throwing a football. I'm supposing that people are bringing up basketball because somebody said:

Perhaps this poster meant to say "every other level of football is fine," but that's certainly not how it read.

You misunderstood what I meant. You don't need big hands to play basketball. You can still catch, pass, and shoot just fine with the smallest hands on earth. Sure it's nice to be able to palm it, but for the average person playing pick up bball that doesn't matter. You don't need to have big fans or be able to grip a bball to be good on a pedestrian level. Same with anyone other sport besides football. (as far as throwing goes)

With an NFL football on the other hand, most people can't throw it because they can't grip it. I'm talking on a fan pick-up type level, not professional. Hand size has no effect on basketball skill for the average joe. It does for football if your trying to play QB with an NFL size ball.

Rabscuttle
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
People don't realize how big an NFL football is.

CFL ran an ad campaign years ago, "Our balls are bigger"

Flutie and Garcia had no problems although Garcia probably could handle any balls that came his way.

K Train
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
vick has the strongest arm of the starters imo, the guy is short and throws the ball so far, so hard, with so much torque

probably followed by stafford and cutler and flacco

mallet is probably #1 overall though

hockey619
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
CFL ran an ad campaign years ago, "Our balls are bigger"

Flutie and Garcia had no problems although Garcia probably could handle any balls that came his way.

hahaha oh well played

ViperVisor
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Kappy Thew It

According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, Kaepernick threw the football 59 miles per hour. Kaepernick is a former Chicago Cubs draft selection and an all-state baseball player who threw 94 miles per hour.
That edged out Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett (58 miles per hour) and Auburn quarterback Cam Newton (56 miles per hour).

Bengalsrocket
01-19-2012, 12:36 AM
I feel like Stafford and Cutler are atop the list. Right now they are making some of the most ridiculous throws I've ever seen, from any place, without even planting properly half the time.

Hard to do a top 5 or 6, but I do feel like Mallett would be in this if he was playing. Cam Newton has a laser also. But it'd be tough for me to find somebody to put above Cutler or Stafford in terms of pure arm strength.

I honestly think Vick gives Cutler and Stafford some competition. I'm surprised he's so questionably top 5 in this thread.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Too much starter QB bias.

Top 6;

Mallett
Newton
Stafford
Cutler
Flacco
Roethlisberger

Honorable mention - Vick/Kaepernick/Locker/Rodgers/Brady/Matt Moore.

I see more velocity on Vick's throws nowadays than pure arm strength, if that makes sense.

IMO Mike Vick had more 'wow' throws before he went to prison, times where when you watched him you thought, "damn he's literally throwing the ball too hard for his WRs to catch, except he doesn't look like he's throwing that hard."

MetSox17
01-19-2012, 01:16 AM
You sure it was an NFL sized ball?

NFL footballs aren't that big. Unless you have puny hands, you should be able to grip it easily. I'm 5'11 with average sized hands and i throw it pretty damn well. Easily 50 yards in a tight spiral.

Kappy Thew It
Ehh.

Sports Science has Mallett throwing it at 65mph, i'd trust them over a handheld radar gun at the combine. While guys like Roethlisberger, Stafford and Flacco have "big" arms, i think the only guys that can throw it at the speed Mallet does is Vick and Cutler.

_Z0uBItsSJI

Complex
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
NFL footballs aren't that big. Unless you have puny hands, you should be able to grip it easily. I'm 5'11 with average sized hands and i throw it pretty damn well. Easily 50 yards in a tight spiral.

Ehh.

Sports Science has Mallett throwing it at 65mph, i'd trust them over a handheld radar gun at the combine. While guys like Roethlisberger, Stafford and Flacco have "big" arms, i think the only guys that can throw it at the speed Mallet does is Vick and Cutler.

_Z0uBItsSJI

Sports Science said that GSP punches harder than Shogun Rua. They also said Jon Jones spinning elbow is faster than the blades of a helicopter going at full speed. I don't trust them.

SickwithIt1010
01-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Talking about Vick's arm strength I will always think of this throw.
cSL7vTGwPbk

Complex
01-19-2012, 01:41 AM
cu8XNJmQsCI

enough said

bearsfan_51
01-19-2012, 01:41 AM
http://funkatron.com/wp/wp-content/im-goin-deep-fan-club.jpg

Seriously though, dude has a great arm. Can't do **** with it, but he could chuck it when he was with the Bears. Cutler is probably in the top 3 in the NFL now, and his arm isn't much stronger than Rexy's was.

BlindSite
01-19-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't think there's a consensus list of 1-5 but there's a group.

Mallet, Grossman, Cutler, Boller, Newton, Vick, Flacco, Stafford, Roethlisberger.

I call that Cannon tier. Guys who can hit anywhere on the field with guys dragging them around.

Then I'd have rifle tier. Guys who can load up and still hit when moving.
Peyton Manning, Freeman, Rogers, Palmer, Locker

Then guys who'll go deep big time when their mechanics are perfect and they've got a clean pocket

Brees, Brady, Schaub, Fitzpatrick

Then your dudes who need to throw everything they have in their body into it with a clean pocket.

Kolb, Bradford, Moore, Henne, Dalton, Alex Smith

Then your limpdick arms
Pennington (I know he's retired), McCoy, Hasselbeck

Saints-Tigers
01-19-2012, 02:54 AM
I think Mallet can whip it harder and further than anyone in the NFL, and would be second to only Jamarcus.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2012, 07:35 AM
You won't find hardly one Redskins fan who believes Grossman still has a top tier arm.
Decent arm, but I agree when he was with the Bears his whip seemed stronger.

JHL6719
01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
1. Mallett
2. Cutler
3. Stafford
4. Vick
5. Roethlisberger
6. Newton
7. Flacco

JHL6719
01-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Kappy

Problem is, he reaches all the way back to Salt Lake City before he throws it.

abaddon41_80
01-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't think there's a consensus list of 1-5 but there's a group.

Mallet, Grossman, Cutler, Boller, Newton, Vick, Flacco, Stafford, Roethlisberger.

I call that Cannon tier. Guys who can hit anywhere on the field with guys dragging them around.

Then I'd have rifle tier. Guys who can load up and still hit when moving.
Peyton Manning, Freeman, Rogers, Palmer, Locker

Then guys who'll go deep big time when their mechanics are perfect and they've got a clean pocket

Brees, Brady, Schaub, Fitzpatrick

Then your dudes who need to throw everything they have in their body into it with a clean pocket.

Kolb, Bradford, Moore, Henne, Dalton, Alex Smith

Then your limpdick arms
Pennington (I know he's retired), McCoy, Hasselbeck

Is this a joke list? In terms of actual arm strength these rankings are terrible. No way is Fitzpatrick not in the last or second to last tier and putting Moore and Henne, who actually have fairly strong arms, or even Dalton and Smith, who aren't weak, on the same level as Kolb and Bradford is lol-worthy. Since I have HW that I should be doing but don't feel like doing so here is how I would rank all 32 starting QB's, no particular order within tiers

Top Tier:

Cutler
Stafford
Vick
Roethlisberger
Flacco

Above Average Tier:

Freeman
Peyton Manning
Rodgers
Eli Manning
Brady
Rivers
Skelton
Newton
Palmer

Average Tier:

Brees
Jackson
Romo
Moore
Grossman
Smith
Schaub
Sanchez
Ryan
Tebow

Low Tier:

Dalton
Gabbert
Hasselbeck
Ponder
Cassel

Bottom Tier:

Bradford
Fitzpatrick
McCoy

Think that is everyone

Wodwo
01-19-2012, 08:14 AM

I know I couldn't throw that far. My Uncle started at QB for West Virginia and I doubt he could throw that far now even though he stays in shape.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Talking about Vick's arm strength I will always think of this throw.
cSL7vTGwPbk

Technically that pass was 65 yards in the air, not 88, but who's counting.

There's only handful of guys in the NFL who can even attempt that throw.

BTW, I think Mallett could have put 10 more yards on that pass, but would have overthrown Desean Jackson.

Accuracy>>>>>arm strength.
Both??
Cyborg.

Man I can't wait until we get a chance to see Mallett start a regular season game.

Rosebud
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Too much starter QB bias.

Top 6;

Mallett
Newton
Stafford
Cutler
Flacco
Roethlisberger

Honorable mention - Vick/Kaepernick/Locker/Rodgers/Brady/Matt Moore.

I see more velocity on Vick's throws nowadays than pure arm strength, if that makes sense.

IMO Mike Vick had more 'wow' throws before he went to prison, times where when you watched him you thought, "damn he's literally throwing the ball too hard for his WRs to catch, except he doesn't look like he's throwing that hard."

Well it is kinda what the OP asks for...

I know armstrength isn't the only factor when looking at QBs but who would be your top 6 in the league in terms of pure armstrength. The candidates have to be starting QBs also. You don't have to rank them but who are the 6 you think. I will say in no particuliar order Newton,Stafford,Vick,Cutler,Flacco, and Rodgers. What are your?

Rosebud
01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Double post, my bad

dregolll
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
IMHO, big Ben's arm is not all of that, certaintly not a top 5 in terms of pure armstrength. Also, for anyone to put the Mannings in the same sentence as Newton in terms of armstrength is just pure ignorance. Cam Newton has one of the strongest arms I've seen. This guy has a top 3 arm in the NFL. just take a look at this video highlights. He can make throws very few QBs can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYDa7zOLVd4

JetMan01
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
1A Stafford
1B Flacco
3 Cutler
4 Vick
5 Brady
6 Rodgers

I think that Brady throws a much better ball than he did early in his career. Its hard to imagine arm strength improving, but I remember when Brees' arm strength was questioned at SD and at NO its not legendary but also not a problem. Also, I wish Palmer was still Palmer, he'd make this list.

abaddon41_80
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
IMHO, big Ben's arm is not all of that, certaintly not a top 5 in terms of pure armstrength. Also, for anyone to put the Mannings in the same sentence as Newton in terms of armstrength is just pure ignorance. Cam Newton has one of the strongest arms I've seen. This guy has a top 3 arm in the NFL. just take a look at this video highlights. He can make throws very few QBs can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYDa7zOLVd4

Didn't watch the whole video but the first two passes he throws in it are underthrown. I watched a ton of Newton at Auburn and a few Panther games this year and saying he has a top three arm is ridiculous. Stafford, Cutler, Vick and Flacco all unquestionably have stronger arms. Newton is pretty much the same level as the bigger QBs like Freeman and Roethlisberger. I would probably put him right behind Freeman and right ahead of Roethlisberger.

dregolll
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Look at that throw vs the Bears. That throw is off his back foot at about 65 yards.

dregolll
01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
No stating that he has a top 3 arm is not ridiculous, stating that he is in the sam tier as the Mannings and for god sakes Philiip Rivers shows me that you know absolutely nothing about football.

BlindSite
01-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Is this a joke list? In terms of actual arm strength these rankings are terrible. No way is Fitzpatrick not in the last or second to last tier and putting Moore and Henne, who actually have fairly strong arms, or even Dalton and Smith, who aren't weak, on the same level as Kolb and Bradford is lol-worthy. Since I have HW that I should be doing but don't feel like doing so here is how I would rank all 32 starting QB's, no particular order within tiers

Top Tier:

Cutler
Stafford
Vick
Roethlisberger
Flacco

Above Average Tier:

Freeman
Peyton Manning
Rodgers
Eli Manning
Brady
Rivers
Skelton
Newton
Palmer

Average Tier:

Brees
Jackson
Romo
Moore
Grossman
Smith
Schaub
Sanchez
Ryan
Tebow

Low Tier:

Dalton
Gabbert
Hasselbeck
Ponder
Cassel

Bottom Tier:

Bradford
Fitzpatrick
McCoy

Think that is everyone

Newton threw a 40 yard laser while being tackled backwards to Olsen this year, also threw like a 30 yard frozen rope with a defender on his back to Smith.

The dude has an arm in the same class as the top guys. Grossman's arm is stronger than sanchez's by a big margin too.

Crazy_Chris
01-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Average Tier:

Brees
Jackson
Romo
Moore
Grossman
Smith
Schaub
Sanchez
Ryan
Tebow

Tarvaris Jackson has one of the strongest arms in league there is no way he belongs anywhere near brees, romo, schaub, etc.

Low Tier:
Dalton
Gabbert
Hasselbeck
Ponder
Cassel

Ponders arm strength is better than most people give him credit for.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82481530/Harvin-s-huge-TD-catch

Ball travels about 57 yards through the air, and Gabbert doesn't belong down there either.

Bottom Tier:

Bradford
Fitzpatrick
McCoy

Bradford doesn't belong in the same grouping as people like Colt McCoy and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

XxXdragonXxX
01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Tarvaris Jackson has one of the strongest arms in league there is no way he belongs anywhere near brees, romo, schaub, etc.

Yeah, Jackson sucks, but he has a cannon for an arm...just zero accuracy on his deep ball.

stl705
01-20-2012, 01:14 AM
1.) Stafford - I think he's got the liveliest arm in the game.
2.) Vick
3.) Cutler
4.) Freeman
5.) Palko- a bit underrated imo..

DrAbaddon
01-20-2012, 03:56 AM
WHOA, why in the hell is Bradford at the bottom? Bradford has a top 10 arm...

JetMan01
01-20-2012, 07:44 AM
1.) Stafford - I think he's got the liveliest arm in the game.
2.) Vick
3.) Cutler
4.) Freeman
5.) Palko- a bit underrated imo..

WHOA, why in the hell is Bradford at the bottom? Bradford has a top 10 arm...

Where's flacco? And I'd argue Bradford is the poster boy for an average arm.

brat316
01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
no Kolb in the bottom 10?

DrAbaddon
01-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Where's flacco? And I'd argue Bradford is the poster boy for an average arm.
I just don't see that from Bradford, I know there were questions about his arm strength coming out but he really seems to have a nice lively arm.

Titans10
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Had to show this one, couldn't find a better quality

Cutler 65 yard throw in the ai andr takes a shot after he releases it

http://youtu.be/LeIvkvsVAyc

abaddon41_80
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
no Kolb in the bottom 10?

I didn't rank him, I tried to do just starters and I used Skelton instead. Revised list with more thought put into it, and I watched some highlights for QB's I don't watch that much normally.

Top Tier:

Stafford
Cutler
Vick
Flacco

I don't think anyone would really disagree these are the top four starters.

Almost top tier:

Roethlisberger
Newton
Freeman
Jackson
Skelton

All definitely have strong arms but not quite the class as the top four.

Above Average Tier:

Rivers
Peyton Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Eli Manning
Grossman

I almost put the last three in the average tier but I feel like they separate themselves from those in the average tier enough to warrant them being here.

Average Tier:

Romo
Moore
Smith
Schaub
Sanchez
Ryan
Tebow

Nothing special here, though I considered putting Moore into the above average tier

Below average tier:

Dalton
Hasselbeck
Ponder
Gabbert
Bradford
Cassel

Everyone here is behind the average enough to warrant their own tier. If I was going to move anyone from this up it would be Gabbert and possibly Dalton

Bottom tier:

Fitzpatrick
McCoy

Don't think there is any argument here, either

BuddyCHRIST
01-22-2012, 12:55 AM
I am a big Stafford fan and I'd rank Vick number 1. His arm is insane, especially since half the time he's got sloppy footwork.

1. Vick
2. Stafford
3. Cutler
4. Flacco - Especially on deeper throws, makes those look easy.
5. Newton
6. Big Ben - put him over Brady because I think he has more natural arm strength. Brady's footwork is so good which allows him to get so much zip.

nepg
01-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Kyle Boller

That's it. He's 1-6

MetSox17
01-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Kyle Boller

That's it. He's 1-6

J-Roc had a stronger arm.

Miaoww
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I've seen Newton throw a 50 yard strike off his back foot whilst scrambling to his left.

He's definitely on that list.

shylo3716
01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
#1 Ryan Mallett

Matthew Jones
01-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Brady belongs in this conversation as well. Anyone remember this bomb from the Super Bowl? This throw is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen in terms of pure arm strength.

YUGj5qQFnnc

yanksknicks
01-23-2012, 08:56 AM
1. Stafford
2. Flacco
3. Rodgers
4. Newton
5. Cutler
6. Brady

Vick over Brady in no particular order.

K Train
01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Brady belongs in this conversation as well. Anyone remember this bomb from the Super Bowl? This throw is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen in terms of pure arm strength.

YUGj5qQFnnc

he reared back and launched it off a running start...."pure armstrength" isnt with that kind of follow through. russel could throw a ball 20 yards further than that flat footed

yo123
01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Russell can not throw 90 yards flat footed.