PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Joe Paterno has died.

boknows34
01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Paterno has died from lung cancer.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

https://p.twimg.com/Ajxez5KCQAA_-ax.jpg

Hawk
01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Rip Paterno.

One of the greatest college football coaches our generation has seen.

killxswitch
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
RIP. Too bad his legacy was tarnished at the very end of his career. But that's how he'll be remembered.

TitanHope
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Wasn't he afraid he'd die soon after coaching like Bear Bryant did? That only makes this sadder.

CashmoneyDrew
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Wasn't he afraid he'd die soon after coaching like Bear Bryant did? That only makes this sadder.

Yeah, it's strange how that works sometimes with people. Has me on edge with my own grandfather. Loves everything about cars and driving but recently had to stop because it was just getting to be too much of a risk.

RIP Joe Pa.

Ness
01-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Great man with a great legacy. It's a shame these last two months had to turn out like this.

MetSox17
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Sad to see him go out like this. RIP Joe Pa.

Canadian_draft_fan
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Truly a sad day. His legacy tarnish by recent revelations. If you believe that a positive attitude helps overcome illness then the scandal "killed" Joe Pa.

CJSchneider
01-22-2012, 12:57 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0122/ncf_e_paterno-obit_576.jpg

R.I.P. Joe Pa

Babylon
01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
He was offered the Pats job back in 73 and i guess he almost took it before they gave it to Chuck Fairbanks. That may have altered the course of his life and maybe a lot of others.

You hate to see someone being remembered for what appears to be the one screwup he had in life.

Santonio10
01-22-2012, 01:34 PM
He was offered the Pats job back in 73 and i guess he almost took it before they gave it to Chuck Fairbanks. That may have altered the course of his life and maybe a lot of others.

You hate to see someone being remembered for what appears to be the one screwup he had in life.

I think Paterno turned the job down to stay at PSU. R.I.P. Joe. You were my idol and will be sorely missed.

Complex
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Bobby Bowden was afraid of the same thing glad he is still alive.

robert pancake gallery
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
in hindsight, paterno's doctors said they wish they had done more

Don Vito
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
in hindsight, paterno's doctors said they wish they had done more

Ooh maybe a little too soon

Don Vito
01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
I always liked Paterno before the scandal but the reality is people will forever link him to Sandusky and the mess that is going on there. I know I just stated the obvious but the whole situation is just such an insane story.

diabsoule
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
RIP Joe Pa. You were an inspiration to countless others. You leave a tremendous legacy with your passing complete with a tragic ending.

StickSkills
01-23-2012, 06:17 AM
I am a part of many college football boards, and as a die hard Penn State fan growing up, thank you very much for being respectful with his passing.

Rest in Peace, Joe.

CJSchneider
01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404439_10150615283522518_195948017517_10983790_485 722428_n.jpg

StickSkills
01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
As I stood by Gate A of Beaver Stadium, where I had camped out for the past 2 years to watch Joe Paterno's team, I looked up into the sky to look at the helicoptors hovering over the spiritual center that Joe's casket was at. When I looked up, I saw a rainbow. The skies had been clear all day. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. After Noah's flood, the rainbow was God's promise to not destroy the Earth again. For a lot of us, it seemed like he almost did.

Also, I want to leave you with the legend of Mount Nittany. Last night was the first time I have ever read it.

Nit-A-Nee, which means "breaker of the wind," was an Indian maiden whose lover, Lion's Paw, was killed.

Nit-A-Nee enfolded him into her arms and carried his still erect body back to a place in the center of the Valley where she laid the strong Brave in his grave and build a mound of honor over his strength.

On the last night of the full moon, after she had finally raised the last of the soil and stone over his high mound, a terrible storm came up unleashing itself with thunder and lightening and the wailing of a horrendous wind from the depths of the earth. Every Indian in the Valley shuddered and all eyes were directed to the Indian Brave's high mound upon which the strong maiden Princess Nit-A-Nee was mounted with arms outstretched to touch the sources of the lightning bolts in the sky

Through the night they watched with awe as the Indian Brave's burial mound grew and rose into a Mountain penetrating the center of the big valley between the two legs of the Tussey and Bald Eagle Ridges. When the dawn finally came, a huge Mountain was found standing erect in the center of the Valley.

TimD
01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Watching the funeral procession on College Ave yesterday is a moment I will never forget as long as I live. The image of Sue Paterno waving from Joe's seat brought tears to my eyes. Say what you want about my school, but that couple contributed their hearts, souls, and savings to make it into one of the most respected state universities in the country.

r.i.p. joe. its crazy to think that i was apart of the last graduating class to witness 4 seasons of paterno proud penn state football. we are

K Train
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
take away a mans football and he has nothing to live for...RIP

StickSkills
01-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I went to the Paterno Statue last night for the first time since the Candle Light Vigil. The item I left represents what Joe has given me and how I intend to carry on his legacy with my actions. Afterwards I took a photo on the statue and the items around it that people left.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7022/6764496191_1ddaee676e_z.jpg

Santonio10
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I went to the Paterno Statue last night for the first time since the Candle Light Vigil. The item I left represents what Joe has given me and how I intend to carry on his legacy with my actions. Afterwards I took a photo on the statue and the items around it that people left.

Love it. I visited Joes statue in December while I was home from break. Watching the memorial was very moving today. Joe meant a lot to a lot of people. Joe taught me a lot about how to live my life and I will never forget. He fulfilled his promise to Penn State and deserves his rest. Thank you Joe!

Books will be written about his life but I don't even think a book can capture what a marvelous life he lived. I hope everyone sees Phil Knights entire speech.

Santonio10
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Love it. I visited Joes statue in December while I was home from break. Watching the memorial was very moving today. Joe meant a lot to a lot of people. Joe taught me a lot about how to live my life and I will never forget. He fulfilled his promise to Penn State and deserves his rest. Thank you Joe!

Books will be written about his life but I don't even think a book can capture what a marvelous life he lived. I hope everyone sees Phil Knights entire speech.

yodabear
01-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Phil Knight's speech was great. And addressed the scandal very nicely from a different view of the media. Particularly ESPN and radio. People who supported or whatever Paterno at the end were not hero worshiping or condoning raping children, we were saying u know there were a lot more people than JoePa that could have reported it and a lot of them BEFORE JoePa. I mean for God's sakes, how about McQueary. And Phil Knight's speech was great.

bearsfan_51
01-27-2012, 07:23 PM
to make it into one of the most respected state universities in the country
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/psychobabblegirl/Gifs/oprahshakeno.gif

JoeJoeBrown
01-27-2012, 08:26 PM

Lol and agree.

Grizzlegom
01-27-2012, 08:45 PM
wait what?

StickSkills
01-28-2012, 04:18 AM

All I have to say (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704358904575477643369663352.html)

bearsfan_51
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
All I have to say (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704358904575477643369663352.html)
Yes, because when people are ranking state universities, they base it off of one op-ed by a completely obscure person in the Wall Street Journal.

A lot of the time, I'm willing to concede that what I hold are debatable opinions. In this case, not only do I work in academia, but there are countless quantified measures of ranking universities. The best, and most highly regarded, is the ARWU by Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China..go figure). The ARWU is heavily biased towards the sciences (China...go figure), so as someone in the liberal arts, I wish there was something more balanced that is held in the same esteem, but there isn't. Anyway, here are the top 20 public universities in the United States for 2011:

1) University of California, Berkeley
2) UCLA
3) University of Washington
4) University of Wisconsin, Madison
5) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
6) University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
7) University of Minnesota (how the hell we slipped below Illinois.....)
8) University of Colorado, Boulder
9) University of California, Santa Barbara
10) University of Texas, Austin
11) University of Maryland, College Park
12) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
13) Pennsylvania State University- University Park
14) University of California, Davis
15) University of California, Irvine
16) University of Pittsburgh
17) Rutgers University
18) Purdue University
19) Ohio State University
20) University of Florida

I'm actually surprised that it's as high as 13. Usually, Penn State is at the bottom of the Big Ten with Michigan State and Iowa (Nebraska doesn't count). Penn State must have a particularly high engineering or natural sciences department, because I know as someone in the field that their humanities are not particularly high up there.

In any event, if by "one of the most respected" he meant 13th, then ok, I'll give him that.

Also for those scoring at home, here's the conference breakdown:

Pac-12: 4
Big Ten: 7
Big 12: 1
ACC: 3 (if you count Pittsburgh)
Big East: 1
SEC: 1 (barely)
Big West: 3

Smooth Criminal
01-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Might suck to be a Big Ten football fan right now, but it's certainly nice to be a student.

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm actually surprised that it's as high as 13. Usually, Penn State is at the bottom of the Big Ten with Michigan State and Iowa (Nebraska doesn't count). Penn State must have a particularly high engineering or natural sciences department, because I know as someone in the field that their humanities are not particularly high up there.

In any event, if by "one of the most respected" he meant 13th, then ok, I'll give him that.

Penn State is really good for engineering/technology and social sciences. Also pretty good for life and natural sciences but yea, we're middle of the road for humanities and liberal arts and stuff like that.

Given the amount of public universities in the United States, I feel like you are really nitpicking because they aren't too highly rated in your field...I don't really understand how you can make an argument that any of those 20 schools on your list aren't one of the most respected universities in the country.

bearsfan_51
01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Penn State is really good for engineering/technology and social sciences. Also pretty good for life and natural sciences but yea, we're middle of the road for humanities and liberal arts and stuff like that.

Given the amount of public universities in the United States, I feel like you are really nitpicking because they aren't too highly rated in your field...I don't really understand how you can make an argument that any of those 20 schools on your list aren't one of the most respected universities in the country.
"One of" is a vague term, but it usually doesn't mean top 20. I know a lot of people, but if I said someone was "one of my favorite people" I wouldn't imagine that I could think of more than 10 people I like more than them.

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 04:35 PM
A quick Google search shows there are 619 4 year public universities. 13/619 = .02 or 2%. Being in the top 2% of your field is pretty statistically significant. Given the sample size, looking at things in a simple top 10 or top 20 list is doing schools like Florida or Ohio State a major disservice. I would argue that everyone in the top 60 SHOULD be considered "one of the top academic universities in the country." Then again, we aren't even looking at the top academically, we're talking about the most respected. "Respected" is equally as vague as "one of." Based on that ranking system you posted, Minnesota is a better academic university than Penn State but ask an average person in Utah, who do you think they will say?

If you were making the argument that Penn State is no longer one of the most respected universities in the country anymore because of the Sandusky scandal and subsequent fall-out, I'd actually have little to no issue with it but statistically, your argument makes little to no sense.

bearsfan_51
01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
\Based on that ranking system you posted, Minnesota is a better academic university than Penn State but ask an average person in Utah, who do you think they will say?
Minnesota. If you asked 100 college professors which was the better research university, 100 of them would say Minnesota over Penn State. You could say the same for Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois (or Northwestern, if we're including private schools).

As for the statistical argument based on the number of public schools, I mean, c'mon. 500 of those 600 schools don't even try to be respected to the degree that a school like Penn State does. It's like comparing a minor league baseball team to the Phillies or something.

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Minnesota. If you asked 100 college professors which was the better research university, 100 of them would say Minnesota over Penn State. You could say the same for Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois (or Northwestern, if we're including private schools).

I said average person, not college professors but you made my point by having to change the demographic. There are quantifiable studies that show who ranks best at academics and research but the truth is, your average Joe doesn't know a single thing about those studies and when you tell the average person that you have a degree from Penn State, they respect that. Just like they would if you said you had a degree from Ohio State or Florida or UCLA or Michigan, etc etc. Perception is reality.

bearsfan_51
01-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I said average person, not college professors but you made my point by having to change the demographic. There are quantifiable studies that show who ranks best at academics and research but the truth is, your average Joe doesn't know a single thing about those studies and when you tell the average person that you have a degree from Penn State, they respect that. Just like they would if you said you had a degree from Ohio State or Florida or UCLA or Michigan, etc etc. Perception is reality.
Who in the hell cares what the average person thinks when it comes to academic quality?

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I thought we were arguing "one of the most respected state universities in the country"

Don't you need to, ya know, argue it in terms of the WHOLE country when discussing that statement?

bearsfan_51
01-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I thought we were arguing "one of the most respected state universities in the country"

Don't you need to, ya know, argue it in terms of the WHOLE country when discussing that statement?
Of course not.

For the record, I don't think the general public has a terribly high opinion of Penn State from an academic standpoint. But that's besides the point.

When you talk about the "most respected" movies, for example, you don't look at the box office sales, you look at Oscar wins. If you wanted to buy a car, you'd probably want the opinion of a mechanic, and not a hair dresser. The idea that the majority opinion matters is a total fallacy. This isn't American Idol.

Grizzlegom
01-29-2012, 07:03 AM
To each his own I guess. I still think the difference between say, the 8th and 13th best university is pretty negligible all things considered. Its pretty clear that you have a very negative opinion on Penn State because they are mediocre in your specific field. Penn State is a top ten school in my field, making it one of the more respected universities in the country for my field, even by your standards so we are clearly at an impasse.

JoeJoeBrown
01-29-2012, 09:41 AM
To each his own I guess. I still think the difference between say, the 8th and 13th best university is pretty negligible all things considered. Its pretty clear that you have a very negative opinion on Penn State because they are mediocre in your specific field. Penn State is a top ten school in my field, making it one of the more respected universities in the country for my field, even by your standards so we are clearly at an impasse.

To further your point, the difference between 8th and 13th when picking from thousands of US public universities is negligible.

mriforgot
01-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Of course not.

For the record, I don't think the general public has a terribly high opinion of Penn State from an academic standpoint. But that's besides the point.

When you talk about the "most respected" movies, for example, you don't look at the box office sales, you look at Oscar wins. If you wanted to buy a car, you'd probably want the opinion of a mechanic, and not a hair dresser. The idea that the majority opinion matters is a total fallacy. This isn't American Idol.

I would like to point out that when it comes to schools, the general population does have a say in it though, when you look at employers. I know from personal experience, that while Michigan is a better school than Michigan State, when you interview with companies based out of the Midwest, Michigan State looks just as good on paper as Michigan. People recognize the name, they know it's a relatively good school. I know people who go to Michigan in the same field, struggle through (sometimes more difficult) classes, and don't get any benefit for picking Michigan over Michigan State.

bearsfan_51
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
I would like to point out that when it comes to schools, the general population does have a say in it though, when you look at employers. I know from personal experience, that while Michigan is a better school than Michigan State, when you interview with companies based out of the Midwest, Michigan State looks just as good on paper as Michigan. People recognize the name, they know it's a relatively good school. I know people who go to Michigan in the same field, struggle through (sometimes more difficult) classes, and don't get any benefit for picking Michigan over Michigan State.
Every single person in Michigan knows that Michigan is a better school than Michigan State. This includes alum of Michigan State.

While there are certainly some jobs that don't really care what degree you have, as long as you have a degree, often this is not the case. It just depends on the profession/job.

iowatreat54
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM

There are people/companies that seriously believe MSU is a better school than Michigan? Are they hiring? Because my Iowa degree probably looks like Harvard to them...

StickSkills
01-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Yeah, for my major PSU is 3rd in the nation and for my minor they're first.

JoeJoeBrown
01-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, for my major PSU is 3rd in the nation and for my minor they're first.
That's because there aren't many accredited pizza delivery programs in the US.

yodabear
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
That's because there aren't many accredited pizza delivery programs in the US.

http://gripedujour.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/lowblow.jpg

martha.jason1
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
big lose!!! :-(

arigatou
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
The Supa Tenuo waving from the image of Joe seat I shed a tear. Say you want my school, but the couple contributed to their hearts, souls, savings, making the one of the most respected state universities in the country.

niel89
03-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Bumping the JoePa thread with spam is jacked up