View Full Version : *RUMOR* Chip Kelly to Tampa Bay

murdamal86
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
*lock this thread if it's not needed*

This rumor is starting to pick up a bit of steam

http://www.kgw.com/sports/UO-coach-Kelly-talking-to-Bucaneers-137862123.html

by Michael Berk, KGW Sports

Posted on January 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

PORTLAND -- University of Oregon football coach Chip Kelly is close to signing a deal with the NFL, a source says.

Kelly is reportedly in the process of finalizing a deal that would make him the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A source close to the situation told KGW Kelly will make the jump to the NFL if he can come to terms on a contract.

Kelly has been Oregon's head coach for three years, winning the conference title in all three, reaching three straight BCS games. The crowning achievement coming three weeks ago, when the Ducks won their first Rose Bowl game in 95 years.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Cool, they can trade us Josh Freeman to back up Cam

Complex
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Cool, they can trade us Josh Freeman to back up Cam

Why? (10 char)

bored of education
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Currently in negotiations nothing official

Daron Thomas to TB in mocks! lol

Arsenal
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
St. Petersburg Times is now reporting the same.

https://twitter.com/#!/NFLSTROUD (https://twitter.com/#!/NFLSTROUD)

bucfan12
01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Might as well just trade Freeman. Robert Griffen fits the offense a lot better.

Matthew Jones
01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
This concludes possibly the worst head coaching search of all time.

ElectricEye
01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Hey, if you're going to fail, fail in an interesting way. It will be fascinating to see what Kelly tries to do in the NFL with his offense.

bucfan12
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
This concludes possibly the worst head coaching search of all time.

Yupp. No one even had him on there radar either. It's going to be interesting to see how he runs things in the NFL. First things first: The Staff.

bored of education
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey, if you're going to fail, fail in an interesting way. It will be fascinating to see what Kelly tries to do in the NFL with his offense.
SELLZZ TICKETZZZ WITH PAC 12zz SPEEDZ

Caddy
01-22-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm confused as to why a lot of people think this is a bad thing. Explainzz? (I don't follow that much college football)

ElectricEye
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm confused as to why a lot of people think this is a bad thing. Explainzz? (I don't follow that much college football)

A good way of summing it up is that Tim Tebow would be a damn good fit in that offense.

....and this is how they call plays;

http://media.al.com/live/photo/9187287-large.jpg

The longer answer involves lack of success against teams with good defenses, lack of experience, and how he just flat out had better athletes than most of the teams he was playing.

diabsoule
01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Hiring a coach with zero NFL experience at any level is a giant mistake. At least Petrino, Kiffin, Saban, and Spurrier had some kind of NFL experience when they were hired.

Caddy
01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
A good way of summing it up is that Tim Tebow would be a damn good fit in that offense.

The longer answer involves lack of success against teams with good defenses, lack of experience, and how he just flat out had better athletes than most of the teams he was playing.

Either way he must be a better play caller than that asinine moron Greg Olson.

asdf1223
Atleast Pete Carroll can coach a secondary. I'm really not sure any of his best skills translate to the NFL. But as a Washington Husky fan, I''m really happy.

ChiFan24
This will be a total disaster, especially if he's expecting Josh Freeman to play QB.

Vox Populi
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how he approaches the games on offense and what he does with Blount.

Vox Populi
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Why is that one guy wearing wrist sweat bands while coaching? What a bad ass.

bored of education
01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
That play call is what I call "Tom Brady is America".

Pat Sims 90
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I guess Darron Thomas is going to play QB in the NFL...

bucfan12
01-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I guess Darron Thomas is going to play QB in the NFL...

Only a clueless person would say that.

Chip Kelly won't bring that type of offense to the Bucs, but I think he'll install some sort of a spread offense similar to the Saints and Packers on how they use it.

bigbuc
01-22-2012, 08:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see how he approaches the games on offense and what he does with Blount.

Mmmmmmm if anyone knows the type of player Blount is its Kelly being that he played for the Ducks.

Vox Populi
01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Mmmmmmm if anyone knows the type of player Blount is its Kelly being that he played for the Ducks.

Thats kind of what I was getting at. I kind of assumed at the time of that draft that someone would take a flier on him later in the draft because of his potential and Brandon Jacobs success at the time as well and attributed it to him not receiving much support from his coaches in the pre-draft process.

Sloopy
01-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Chip Kelly won't bring that type of offense to the Bucs, but I think he'll install some sort of a spread offense similar to the Saints and Packers on how they use it.

What makes you think that CHIP KELLY can run the same kind of intricate NFL offense that the Saints and Packers use?

Pat Sims 90
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Denver ran that style of offense most of the year. Kelly could easily bring that style of offense in.

Complex
01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times gets the prize.

Per Stroud, a “secret meeting” between Kelly and the Bucs has the two sides hopeful that a deal can be worked out within 24-48 hours.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/22/report-bucs-kelly-hope-to-reach-deal-within-next-24-48-hours/

diabsoule
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
It's going to take Kelly more than 3 years to implement his system. I don't think the Bucs are patient enough to wait and see if he can be successful or not.

GaMeTiMe
01-22-2012, 09:56 PM
If you're a Bucs fan, you have the right to get worried. The team might be gutted for no good reason, just to have to gut it all over again in 2-3 years after staying in the bottom-5 in the league. However from the outside looking in I really wouldn't trash this move until we see how it works out. Certainly hit or miss, but he at least deserves a chance and if Griffin is brought in + a return for Freeman (CLE's 1st, f/ATL?), who knows what could come of it..

Thecollegedropout
01-22-2012, 09:56 PM
LaMichael James meet LaGarrette Blount.....

LaGarrette Blount meet LaMichael James.

They are getting reunited again.....

hockey619
01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
i was going to ask how long it would take before people started mocking james to TB

bigbuc
01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
If you're a Bucs fan, you have the right to get worried. The team might be gutted for no good reason, just to have to gut it all over again in 2-3 years after staying in the bottom-5 in the league. However from the outside looking in I really wouldn't trash this move until we see how it works out. Certainly hit or miss, but he at least deserves a chance and if Griffin is brought in + a return for Freeman (CLE's 1st, f/ATL?), who knows what could come of it..

Dude Freeman is not going anywhere. This isn't Madden. The guy had a bad season this past year so did Eli last year and look at him now. The Bucs are bringing in Kelly to help Free not trade him away so we can maybe draft RG3.

mellojello
01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
This is a nightmare if you are an Oregon fan. They know what Chip's done in his short time there.

TheBoyWonder22
01-22-2012, 10:37 PM
This is a nightmare if you are an Oregon fan. They know what Chip's done in his short time there.
Affirmative.

mellojello
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Affirmative.

I feel your pain...get ready for Fuskie fans invading your message boards if they haven't done so already.

ChiFan24
01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Dude Freeman is not going anywhere. This isn't Madden. The guy had a bad season this past year so did Eli last year and look at him now. The Bucs are bringing in Kelly to help Free not trade him away so we can maybe draft RG3.

....You don't know that at all. Freeman cannot run Chip Kelly's system. If Chip Kelly was hired to implement a different system, they probably shouldn't have hired Chip Kelly. Either way, the Bucs look ridiculous, but trading Freeman and trading up for Griffin probably makes the most sense.

TACKLE
01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
....You don't know that at all. Freeman cannot run Chip Kelly's system. If Chip Kelly was hired to implement a different system, they probably shouldn't have hired Chip Kelly. Either way, the Bucs look ridiculous, but trading Freeman and trading up for Griffin probably makes the most sense.

Chip's offense demands a lot less running out from the QB than people realize. Darron Thomas only had 56 attempts and 206 yards this past season. It's really more of a zone run offense out of shotgun than it is about straight read option.

lowlife
01-22-2012, 11:26 PM
None of that is gonna happen. Who's to say he even calls plays? Everybody's reaching for the most ridiculous possibilities for the sake of ridiculousness. I fully expect him to hire a vet OC and DC and Dominik to bring in some sort of consultant. He'll probably work in his high tempo and some spread elements. Dude's not a tard, he's not gonna break out straight spread-read-option in the NFL.

It's all wait and see. Still a rumor afterall.

If it happens at all, I do see this as a boom/bust hire. He'll either sink this team deeper or end up an elite coach.

Bucs147
01-22-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/01/canzano_blog_chip_kelly_to_the.html

18 months ago on my radio show Kelly told me that he wasn't actively seeking NFL jobs and was very happy at Oregon, but also, wanted to someday coach the best football players in the world. He said he'd love to give the NFL a shot.

[...]

In the same interview Kelly said that he would NOT run the "spread" offense in the form that he ran at Oregon. End that discussion here and now. "I wouldn't take the offense wholesale," he said. "I'd use elements of it, but I'm running what we run at Oregon because it suits our personnel at Oregon." He suggested that he'd adjust his system to the personnel he had in the NFL.

So, yeah, scratch that idea that he's going to run the same offense in the NFL. He will most likely try to implement some elements of that offense, but that's it. Plus, the Bucs probably have the slowest offense in the NFL, it's doesn't fit Oregon's spread at all.

Leon Sandcastle
01-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Kelly + Blount: We're getting the old band back together.

DraftSavant
01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Chip's offense demands a lot less running out from the QB than people realize. Darron Thomas only had 56 attempts and 206 yards this past season. It's really more of a zone run offense out of shotgun than it is about straight read option.

Yeah, I imagine his offense is going to look way more similar to what Chan Gailey does than what Denver does.

Complex
01-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I can't wait for the Tony Dungey,Jon Gruden and Nick Saban to Oregon rumors.

bucfan12
01-22-2012, 11:44 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/01/canzano_blog_chip_kelly_to_the.html

So, yeah, scratch that idea that he's going to run the same offense in the NFL. He will most likely try to implement some elements of that offense, but that's it. Plus, the Bucs probably have the slowest offense in the NFL, it's doesn't fit Oregon's spread at all.

Good find. Also, I think he's going to bring in an up-tempo type offense however. Look for the Bucs to add depth with a 3 deep RB system and add a speedy WR or 2 in the FA or Draft.

The one thing Kelly will bring to this offense is creativity and mix up formations. Greg Olsen couldn't even think of different formations on how to mismatch. he just thought plays might work, like a clown.

Leon Sandcastle
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Pete Thamel of the New York Times is reporting that Lane Kiffin will be taking the job in Oregon.

Kidding but could you imagine?

Brent
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Pete Thamel of the New York Times is reporting that Lane Kiffin will be taking the job in Oregon.

Kidding but could you imagine?

That would be awesome.

JRTPlaya21
01-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Kelly getting out before the sanctions rain down just like they did on Pete Carroll. No shock here folks.

SickwithIt1010
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Chris Petersen is going to be rumored heavily for the Oregon job because thats where he was before he went to BSU.

But people honestly thinking that he is gonna come into the NFL and run a read option offense? The guy is an innovator, and he has a very good football mind...the guy is not stupid. He will figure it out, and I think he could end up being a good coach.

Its too bad that the only reason he's leaving right now is because he knows UO is gonna get hit with sanctions.

bucfan12
01-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Chris Petersen is going to be rumored heavily for the Oregon job because thats where he was before he went to BSU.

But people honestly thinking that he is gonna come into the NFL and run a read option offense? The guy is an innovator, and he has a very good football mind...the guy is not stupid. He will figure it out, and I think he could end up being a good coach.

Its too bad that the only reason he's leaving right now is because he knows UO is gonna get hit with sanctions.

Not necessarily. He interviewed with Gruden about 2 years ago and said he'd be open to NFL jobs if interest was shown. This year, he was contacted by both the Bucs and the Colts. The NFL was his dream job, and finally his name became a hot commodity between 2 teams.

He's actually a great offensive mind and can adjust to any offense's strengths. Tony Dungy gave a HIGH RECOMMENDATION this off-season, and Dungy isn't a fraud or idiot when it comes to football terms either.

SickwithIt1010
01-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh I think hes a great coach, and I think he will adjust to the NFL game...but I dont doubt for a second that hes leaving because sanctions are gonna kick Oregon's ass.

bucfan12
01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh I think hes a great coach, and I think he will adjust to the NFL game...but I dont doubt for a second that hes leaving because sanctions are gonna kick Oregon's ass.

I don't think it's the only reason.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't think it's the only reason.

Because coaching in a half-empty stadium for an owner that's been incredibly cheap because he's hemorrhaging money on his soccer loans sounds so enticing, right?

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Tampa didn't have trouble filling the stadium until gruden was let go and the team started sucking. Up until then we had sellouts every weekend.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Tampa didn't have trouble filling the stadium until gruden was let go and the team started sucking. Up until then we had sellouts every weekend.

And how was attendance during last year's 10-6 campaign?

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
The fan base has given up on the Bucs right now.... Tampa has been slow to come back, but they will.

DraftSavant
01-23-2012, 01:28 AM
That wasn't the question, but k. There are many reasons to want to leave Oregon for Tampa.

RaiderNation
01-23-2012, 02:59 AM
If this happens w truely will see if the spread will work in the NFL. Freeman might be trade to a team like the Browns just so they don't take RG3 at 4. RG3 in Kelly's offense would be interesting. Draft LaMichael James in the 2/3 round to go with Blount and this offense would be close to go. I doubt it will turn into championships but would be very exciting to watch...

TACKLE
01-23-2012, 03:05 AM
If this happens w truely will see if the spread will work in the NFL. Freeman might be trade to a team like the Browns just so they don't take RG3 at 4. RG3 in Kelly's offense would be interesting. Draft LaMichael James in the 2/3 round to go with Blount and this offense would be close to go. I doubt it will turn into championships but would be very exciting to watch...

And they would trade Freeman because....?

Scotty D
01-23-2012, 03:11 AM

I think so they can replace him with RG3. I mean the spread has been in the NFL already and it can work. I don't really like the hire. This ownership is cheap and I don't agree with what they have been doing for a few years. I bet he was a cheap hire because he wanted a gig in the NFL.

RaiderNation
01-23-2012, 03:11 AM

Kelly's going to want to run his offense, and it Freeman doesn't fit in his mind and a prospect like RG3 does, he could easily trade him. Freeman and the offense didn't look to good at times this year....

Scotty D
01-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Kelly's going to want to run his offense, and it Freeman doesn't fit in his mind and a prospect like RG3 does, he could easily trade him. Freeman and the offense didn't look to good at times this year....

Too risky. Can't give on Freeman yet. That offense needs some pieces. I'd like to see them add a RB, TE, WR. Don't watch many Tampa games so I can't comment on their O-line. Plus they need to bring in some veteran leadership.

fenikz
01-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Can the Bucs really outspend Nike? I doubt it but I guess we shall see

Caddy
01-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Too risky. Can't give on Freeman yet. That offense needs some pieces. I'd like to see them add a RB, TE, WR. Don't watch many Tampa games so I can't comment on their O-line. Plus they need to bring in some veteran leadership.

This is correct. Our offense was bad because of lack of personel and poor play calling. We need a 3rd down back to off-set Blount, a WR who can stretch the field and a TE who actually gives a damn. (Thanks K2).

I'm very excited to see what Chip can do.

WCH
01-23-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm very excited to see what Chip can do.

Don't get too excited:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/report-chip-kelly-decides-to-stay-at-oregon/

bucfan12
01-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Don't get too excited:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/report-chip-kelly-decides-to-stay-at-oregon/

Talk about a kick to the nuts. They made it known that Kelly was they're top target. If he was never interested, he should never interviewed for a job nor gotten into heated contract talks when they told him he'll be the guy.

Caddy
01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Don't get too excited:

:((((((((((((((((((((((((

asdf1223
01-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Is the disappointment from Bucs fans more due to the fact that Kelly's not going to be your HC or the fact all the crappy candidates that they considered have a shot again?

Caddy
01-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Is the disappointment from Bucs fans more due to the fact that Kelly's not going to be your HC or the fact all the crappy candidates that they considered have a shot again?

The second one. Schotty has been my #1 choice from the get go so I hope we go back to him. If not, Chud or Zimmer pls.

asdf1223
01-23-2012, 06:50 AM
I dont think you have to worry much then. No one even mentioned that Chip Kelly was a candidate before he almost took the job. All of these guys that they interviewed seem to be more of misdirection ploy.

If anything else it shows that they were serious about getting their man. Chip Kelly was not going to be cheap. Atleast Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh money of 7 million a year which is top of the line for head coaches.

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Same thing happened when we got Gruden... Bill backed out on us.

Smooth Criminal
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Damn I was excited to see this one, shocked the hell out of me to see it as a possibility yesterday.

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Not as sexy as Chip Kelly, but a great offensive coach the bucs should look at is Marc Trestman.

Da-Phins
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Don't get too excited:

So in other words the Bucs were too cheap to close the deal.

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
So in other words the Bucs were too cheap to close the deal.

Dude do you talk out of your butt all the time or just on the internet?

Da-Phins
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Dude do you talk out of your butt all the time or just on the internet?

Oh someone is a little sensitive.

We all know the Bucs are some cheap ass owners and it wouldn't surprised me if money was a big issue why Chip had a change of heart at the last second.

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM

We all know the Bucs are some cheap ass owners and it wouldn't surprised me if money was a big issue why Chip had a change of heart at the last second.

Do you really think that Chip Kelly would have taken this to the 25th hour if the money didn't add up to his liking? When you get a job offer do you say yes before knowing what your rate will be? Again buddy talking out of your butt... The guy didn't want to leave Oregon. He's a collage coach that guess what? Likes coaching kids in collage!

Da-Phins
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Do you really think that Chip Kelly would have taken this to the 25th hour if the money didn't add up to his liking? When you get a job offer do you say yes before knowing what your rate will be? Again buddy talking out of your butt... The guy didn't want to leave Oregon. He's a collage coach that guess what? Likes coaching kids in collage!

Haha go ahead and be a homer and defend your team. Its typical. If he really wanted to coach college, he wouldnt be interested in the first place or go all the way to the end then decide to change his mind. Again, Bucs owners are cheap and My guess(yeah I know im talking out of my butt just because Im making a guess and connecting the dots) that the Bucs couldnt close the deal at the end and money talk broke down. But go ahead and assume im talking out of my butt and be a homer because money would make sense. Not saying it as a fact, but saying it that would make sense.

bigbuc
01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Haha go ahead and be a homer and defend your team. Its typical. If he really wanted to coach college, he wouldnt be interested in the first place or go all the way to the end then decide to change his mind. Again, Bucs owners are cheap and My guess(yeah I know im talking out of my butt just because Im making a guess and connecting the dots) that the Bucs couldnt close the deal at the end and money talk broke down. But go ahead and assume im talking out of my butt and be a homer because money would make sense. Not saying it as a fact, but saying it that would make sense.

I know the Bucs owners have been cheap in signing players, but when it comes to coaches they have spent top dollar. Dungy was one of the top paid coaches in the Nfl also Kiffen was the highest paid DC in the league. Gruden was paid as a top coach and him and GM Allen were given three years each on the contracts and then let go. If the Bucs spend money at anything it's the Head Coach.

Iamcanadian
01-23-2012, 12:53 PM

The simple fact is that college HC's make a heck of a lot of money these days and it isn't easy to entice them to turn pro. That's why Saban and Petrino turned back to college.

The colleges rake in millions in revenue and pay their recruits peanuts in scholarships so they have turned to paying their coaches pro type money.

Kelly probably used the Bucs to get a substantial raise.

bigbuc
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

See Phins I told you! Talking out your butt

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=61058

Bucs offer was for 6 million a year.

FuzzyGopher
01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Ouch, not even a 100% pay increase is enough to entice someone to coach the Bucs.

Razor
01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Ouch, not even a 100% pay increase is enough to entice someone to coach the Bucs.

LOL yeah, that's gotta hurt. I wouldn't coach Tampa either for the record (if I were a coach). That organization is just not set up for success.

Da-Phins
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
See Phins I told you! Talking out your butt

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=61058

Bucs offer was for 6 million a year.

WHHHHHHAAAAAAT????? You mean to tell me that my GUESS that would make sense as to why he turned away at the last minute was wrong?..... Well then I dunno what to do with my self now.

BTW, offering him 6 million, a big pay raise mind you and he still turned that down? Pretty embarrassing. Dont know which owner is worse, Ross or the Glazers.

DraftSavant
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
MIKE SHERMAN SIGHTINGS!!!! sdfasfa

bigbuc
01-26-2012, 01:01 AM
WHHHHHHAAAAAAT????? You mean to tell me that my GUESS that would make sense as to why he turned away at the last minute was wrong?..... Well then I dunno what to do with my self now.

BTW, offering him 6 million, a big pay raise mind you and he still turned that down? Pretty embarrassing. Dont know which owner is worse, Ross or the Glazers.

As of right now its a tie, but I will say this... When Malcolm Glazer ( Dad ) was still running the team we spent the hell out of some dollars. Its the kids that have run the Bucs into the ground.