PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft Discussion

Grizzlegom
01-23-2012, 07:57 PM
I figured it was time to start this up. In my latest mock I gave us DeCastro and Weeden and it seems everyone hated it so I figured I'd start this up to see what everyone else is thinking. Team Needs, players you're interested in, etc. I'll start

Needs: QB, RT, pass rusher, OG, FS, speed WR, TE, nickel CB, blocking FB

I hate where we are picking. Too far down to make a reasonable trade up (personally wouldn't sell the farm trade up for RGIII, too many flaws for my tastes and no way we could get Luck) and no other QB worth a top ten pick. No value at pass rusher, especially if we stick with the 3-4. No FS in this class worth considering in the first round, much less top ten. Don't want to take yet another OL in the first round. Its pretty much a no-win situation. Free agency should help clear some things up as I expect us to fill some of the above needs (Flynn?Manning being one of the more obvious ones although in either case I would still want a QB to groom out of the first two days). As of now I'm rooting for a trade down so we can get a better match of need/value.

http://ginosdrafttalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/the.jpg

Quagmire
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Not a fan of where we are picking either. I am almost always a believer of the best player available theory.. This year, as much as I am not a fan of taking a RB that high, that player may be Trent Richardson. Perfect back for a west coast system because of his hands and ability to block.. Again, I would rather not go there, but he may be best guy left.

Agree on RG III. Only way I move up for him is if the cost does not include any picks after this year. (and I don't see that happening) Not worth a Julio Jones type package.

I would love a trade down especially with a signing of Manning and/or Flynn. Thinking OL may be the best way to go if that happens (Decastro, Glenn, Adams)

A huge factor for me is that I think they need to keep Soliai at all costs. He is a dominant NT and our run defense would be garbage without him. Whether its a 4-3 or 3-4, I think he is a necessity....

Would love Weeden in round 2 if he was there.

Grizzlegom
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
One thing that should be noted, Upshaw will not be on Miami's board. He lacks the height and length that Bill Parcells instilled upon Ireland when he was teaching him. Same can be said for Melvin Ingram.

Grizzlegom
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
It seems we're on the fast track back to the 4-3 defense. I'm guessing they'll let Langford and Soliai walk in free agency now. Quinton Coples also becomes the favorite at 8/9

4U2NV
01-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Coples is definitely the #1 guy on my board now with the move to a 4-3.

I also wouldn't be too disappointed with DeCastro. Richardson would be BPA if he fell to us but it would suck to basically say that our 2nd rounder last year was a wasted pick because there's no way you draft Richardson and put him in a timeshare.

Kendall Wright may be a darkhorse. I think he climbs up draft boards in a hurry leading up to the draft and if we end up getting Flynn in free agency, Philbin might want to add some more explosion to our receiving corps and Wright would definitely fit the bill.

Coby Fleener is somebody who I am praying for in the 2nd round. I love his potential and think that we are badly needing an upgrade at the TE position, especially when we can find a TE that can also double as a weapon in the passing game.

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm a big proponent of Fleener in the second as well. Fasano is a potential cap casualty and while I think he's a good TE, I don't think Clay is the dynamic receiving threat that many Dolphins fans seem to think he is. Clay is a nice H-back type but I really don't think he's the sole full-time answer at receiving TE. I see him as a poor-man's Aaron Hernandez. Getting someone like Fleener in place would really help open things up for us on the inside.

Grizzlegom
01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Bills fan trying to convince me that we should be taking Brockers at 8/9 because he "offers something none of your current DTs do." Also says DT is a massive need for us with a potential 4-3 move...I think he's off his rocker even if we lose Soliai and Langford because we still have legit starters in Odrick and Starks with McDaniel as a top backup. Thoughts?

dolfan75071
02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
With us in a not so great position to land a QB in the first I would like to see Miami take some of the picks below.

Of course these guys will be moving up or down draft boards as this goes on but I think this may be close to where they go right now.

With the 8/9th pick in the 2012 draft the Miami Dolphins select:

Justin Blackmon WR -- not likely that he slips here but WR's sometimes do.
Courtney Upshaw OLB -- With us going to the hybrid 4/3 - 3/4 he would be ideal because his flexibility to play either End or OLB.
Quentin Coples DE
Melvin Ingram DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Riley Rieff OT
Jonathan Martin OT
David DeCastro OT

With the 42nd pick in the 2012 NFL draft the Miami Dolphins select:

Kendall Wright WR
Coby Fleener TE
Zebrie Sanders OT
Andre Branch DE
Weeden QB
Nick Foles QB
Ryan Tannehill QB - Some team may reach for him in the 1st.
Brock Osweiler QB - Intresting because he's 6'8" and athletic.
Kirk Cousins QB
Dont'a Hightower ILB Alabama -- He's a dark horse for this pick as he could post a slow time at Indy and slip.

With the 73rd pick in the 2012 NFL draft Miami Dolphins select:

George Iloka S
Michael Egnew TE
Nate Potter OT
Marvin McNutt WR Iowa -- With Okeefe as new WR coach he may get a lot of consideration here.

With the 103rd pick in the 2012 NFL draft Miami Dolphins select:

Jerry Franklin MLB
Audie Cole ILB
Shaun Prater CB
Trumaine Johnson CB Montana
Joe Adams WR - not sure if he'll last to here
Jarius Wright WR
B.J. Cunningham WR

Da-Phins
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
It would be a waste to draft a WR in the top 3 rounds IMO. Why do we need another one when we already have Marshall,Bess and Hartline? And plus we just drafted a raw guy last year in Gates. Gates has the speed, he just needs to learn the game a bit. Thats the only position that doesnt need to be touched in the offseason. Mostly, I think our 1st pick will come down to either a pass rusher or a OT.

Grizzlegom
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd be SHOCKED if Miami drafted Courtney Upshaw or Melvin Ingram. Their lack of height and length simply goes against everything Ireland has ever shown us for the DE/OLB pass rusher and I really don't see either player as a realistic option. I do think that OT is a realistic option, particularly Reiff. If we don't get Flynn/Manning, I think Tannehill is a real possibility (although to be honest I actually don't think he'll be on the board as I expect Washington to take him barring them trading up for RGIII). I honestly wouldn't be opposed to Kendall Wright but he's probably a luxury as you said. Honestly not sure who I want at 8/9 at this point. Reiff would be my ideal choice but I dont see him being on the board. Don't like Adams/Martin enough to take that high. I wouldn't hate Coples but I wouldn't love him either. Part of me hopes Branch or Mercilus blows up the combine and makes their perceived value soar cause I'd love one of them.

Da-Phins
02-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Dolphins won the coin toss this morning so now we have the 8th pick Yah for us! Getting the feeling that it will be either a RT or a pass rusher. If we do grab Manning, then no matter how boring it will be, I hope we take Reiff. Manning will need all the protection he can get.

GoRavens
03-20-2012, 07:50 AM
First 3 Dolphins Picks
Qb Ryan Tannehill
Wr Mohamed Sanu
Rb Ronnie Hillman

Grizzlegom
03-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Tannehill is good. Next two don't make sense. We have Bush and used a 2nd round pick on Daniel Thomas last year plus brought back Slaton and imported two Canadian backs. I'd be shocked if we took any RB, much less one that high. I don't think Sanu will be on the radar honestly. Look at the GB WRs as templates for the offense. Only one that's Sanu's size is Jordy but he has the speedzzz that made him a fit. Expect Miami to be looking for receivers in the 5'10"-6'1" range weighing 185-205 pounds. I think the only way the receiver they take is outside those ranges is if they go with Marvin McNutt due to Philbin's history with Iowa and the fact that McNutt's OC is now the WRs coach in Miami.

thebow305
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I'd prefer something like this for the first three rounds:

1. Ryan Tannehill
2. Coby Fleener
3. Marvin McNutt
3. Sean Spence

Grizzlegom
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I'd be good with those first three picks. I like Spence a lot but I just don't see us taking him, mostly because of his size. I'd expect the 4-3 alignment to be Misi-Burnett-Dansby and I actually think that'd be alright. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Spitler get some snaps, gotta figure out if he can play in a base defense someday. I would be perfectly okay if it happened, just don't think it will. I think its more likely that pick would be an offensive lineman like a James Brown, Senio Kelemete, or Mitchell Schwartz or a pass rusher like Cam Johnson, Jake Bequette, or Chandler Jones. My ideal first three rounds would be as follows at this point:

1. Ryan Tannehill
2. Shea McClellin
3a. Marvin Jones
3b. Mitchell Schwartz

thebow305
03-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Tannehill and Schwartz are solid picks, but I feel McClellin and Jones are both going a round or two too early there. Jones shouldn't be touched before the 4th at the earliest, and McClellin is a solid 3rd rounder.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Are Dolphins fans ready for Tannehill? I feel if no one trades up he will land in Miami. But what if the Phins surprise? Are there any rumors of other players there at 8?

thebow305
03-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Some Dolphins fans want us to pass on Tannehill and take Weeden later on. Possibly to get a WR or even Coby Fleener at #8, but I just don't see that happening. Tannehill is probably our guy at #8. And I am actually hoping that is the case.

Grizzlegom
03-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Yea, I don't see it. If Tannehill is on the board, I'd be shocked if he wasn't the pick. That being said, I thought the same thing about Brady Quinn and we still took the Ted Ginn Family instead...

dolfan75071
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I've done a Miami only 7 rounder on another site. The link is below. The 1st 2 rounds I have Tannehill and McClellin. I have a WR in the 3rd too but one that I am hoping slips just a bit. I will be doing several mock drafts (crazy hobby) with different scenarios.

nfldraftfan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=16&sid=9bda9108f2725fb4f1d4e2b26413b3f8

dolfan75071
03-25-2012, 05:55 PM
IMO McClellin is not a reach in the 2nd. He'll be a very good DE / OLB hibrid and fits the Ireland mold.

thebow305
03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I was thinking about a new approach to the draft for us. Let's consider if we took the Patriots approach to this upcoming draft, which obviously includes trading down to acquire more picks. And the Pats have obviously been a little more successful than the Dolphins in the draft throughout the years. So I'm gonna give it a shot and a seven rounder for the Phins using this strategy:

Trades: Trade down with Philadelphia and acquire their 1st rounder (#15), their 2nd rounder (#46) and 3rd rounder (#88). Philly could be targeting one of the top DT's like Brockers, Poe or Cox. Or maybe even Riley Reiff. Reid loves his big uglies!

Trade #15 to Cleveland for 1st rounder (#22) and 2nd rounder (#37). Cleveland could possibly target a top defensive end like Perry, Ingram or even Coples if he falls.

This would give us 11 picks overall in the draft. And 7 picks in the first three rounds (Top 88).

Then our draft would look something like this:

1. (#22): Coby Fleener, Tight End, Stanford
2. (#37): Brandon Weeden, Quarterback, Oklahoma State
2. (#42): Bobby Massie, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi
2. (#47): Mohamed Sanu, Wide Receiver, Rutgers
3. (#72): Sean Spence, Linebacker, Miami (Fla.)
3. (#73): Jayron Hosley, Cornerback, Virginia Tech
3. (#88): Cam Johnson, Defensive End, Virginia
4. (#102): Ryan Lindley, Quarterback, San Diego State
5. (#136): Jeff Fuller, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M
6. (#184): Donte Paige-Moss, Defensive End, North Carolina
7. (#197): Marcus Forston, Defensive Tackle, Miami (Fla.)

Our 2012 Depth Chart would then look like this:

QB: Matt Moore/Brandon Weeden/Ryan Lindley
RB: Reggie Bush/Daniel Thomas/Steve Slaton
FB: Charles Clay
WR: Mohamed Sanu/Jeff Fuller
WR: Brian Hartline/Clyde Gates
WR: Davone Bess
TE: Coby Fleener/Anthony Fasano
LT: Jake Long/Nate Garner
LG: Richie Incognito/Artis Hicks
C: Mike Pouncey/Ryan Cook
RG: John Jerry/Artis Hicks
RT: Lydon Murtha/Bobby Massie

LE: Jared Odrick/Cam Johnson
NT: Paul Soliai/Marcus Forston
DT: Randy Starks/Tony McDaniel
RE: Cameron Wake/Donte Paige-Moss
LOLB: Kevin Burnett/Austin Spitler
MLB: Karlos Dansby/Koa Misi
ROLB: Sean Spence/Austin Spitler
CB: Vontae Davis/Jayron Hosley
CB: Sean Smith/Nolan Carroll
FS: Richard Marshall/Chris Clemons
SS: Reshad Jones/Tyrone Culver

KR: Clyde Gates
PR: Reggie Bush
K: Dan Carpenter
P: Brandon Fields

Wow, would that be great! And I still feel like it's somewhat realistic. Thoughts!?

dolfan75071
03-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I like the idea of the double trade down move and I like the 1st 4 picks plus Fuller. BUT the trade partners really wouldn't have to trade down to grab the guys you mention.

For Philly, if they are targeting and like any of the 3 DT's mentioned 1 of them will be there at 15. Now if they are targeting Rieff it makes sense but I would think they could go with Adams or Glenn at OT or maybe even Martin slips to them. The other part about the Philly trade is if going by trade chart they would only have to give up the 2nd rounder to move up to 8. I know the chart is more a guideline but the extra 3rd is more than they would give up for those guys IMHO.

For the Browns Perry will be there at 22 for them IMHO.

So I like the double trade down and I am hoping for at least 1 trade down in the drafts 1st round.

Grizzlegom
03-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Personally, while I almost always am an advocate of trading down, I'd rather not gamble on missing out on Tannehill and Weeden which I think is possible in this scenario. If the staff feels strongly about either player, I think it would be wiser to take one at 8 regardless of how much it might be a "reach." I would be a fan of that draft though.

Quagmire
03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I was thinking about a new approach to the draft for us. Let's consider if we took the Patriots approach to this upcoming draft, which obviously includes trading down to acquire more picks. And the Pats have obviously been a little more successful than the Dolphins in the draft throughout the years. So I'm gonna give it a shot and a seven rounder for the Phins using this strategy:

Trades: Trade down with Philadelphia and acquire their 1st rounder (#15), their 2nd rounder (#46) and 3rd rounder (#88). Philly could be targeting one of the top DT's like Brockers, Poe or Cox. Or maybe even Riley Reiff. Reid loves his big uglies!

Trade #15 to Cleveland for 1st rounder (#22) and 2nd rounder (#37). Cleveland could possibly target a top defensive end like Perry, Ingram or even Coples if he falls.

This would give us 11 picks overall in the draft. And 7 picks in the first three rounds (Top 88).

Then our draft would look something like this:

1. (#22): Coby Fleener, Tight End, Stanford
2. (#37): Brandon Weeden, Quarterback, Oklahoma State
2. (#42): Bobby Massie, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi
2. (#47): Mohamed Sanu, Wide Receiver, Rutgers
3. (#72): Sean Spence, Linebacker, Miami (Fla.)
3. (#73): Jayron Hosley, Cornerback, Virginia Tech
3. (#88): Cam Johnson, Defensive End, Virginia
4. (#102): Ryan Lindley, Quarterback, San Diego State
5. (#136): Jeff Fuller, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M
6. (#184): Donte Paige-Moss, Defensive End, North Carolina
7. (#197): Marcus Forston, Defensive Tackle, Miami (Fla.)

Our 2012 Depth Chart would then look like this:

QB: Matt Moore/Brandon Weeden/Ryan Lindley
RB: Reggie Bush/Daniel Thomas/Steve Slaton
FB: Charles Clay
WR: Mohamed Sanu/Jeff Fuller
WR: Brian Hartline/Clyde Gates
WR: Davone Bess
TE: Coby Fleener/Anthony Fasano
LT: Jake Long/Nate Garner
LG: Richie Incognito/Artis Hicks
C: Mike Pouncey/Ryan Cook
RG: John Jerry/Artis Hicks
RT: Lydon Murtha/Bobby Massie

LE: Jared Odrick/Cam Johnson
NT: Paul Soliai/Marcus Forston
DT: Randy Starks/Tony McDaniel
RE: Cameron Wake/Donte Paige-Moss
LOLB: Kevin Burnett/Austin Spitler
MLB: Karlos Dansby/Koa Misi
ROLB: Sean Spence/Austin Spitler
CB: Vontae Davis/Jayron Hosley
CB: Sean Smith/Nolan Carroll
FS: Richard Marshall/Chris Clemons
SS: Reshad Jones/Tyrone Culver

KR: Clyde Gates
PR: Reggie Bush
K: Dan Carpenter
P: Brandon Fields

Wow, would that be great! And I still feel like it's somewhat realistic. Thoughts!?

I love tradedowns, but I think you are stretching the type of value they can get for the picks.. Also, I really think they are going to nab at least 2 wrs in their first 5 picks.. Sanu is a little too slow for my taste. Really think Givens is going to be a guy they look at hard...

Quagmire
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Personally, while I almost always am an advocate of trading down, I'd rather not gamble on missing out on Tannehill and Weeden which I think is possible in this scenario. If the staff feels strongly about either player, I think it would be wiser to take one at 8 regardless of how much it might be a "reach." I would be a fan of that draft though.

Totally agree with everything you said. I think 8 is the spot for Taneyhill. If he is gone, you look to move down unless somehow one of the "big six" drops to 8.. May not have a partner though. If thats the case, I think DeCastro would be the BPA.. That being said, I don't think there is a chance in hell Ireland takes him due to the backlash... Starting to smell like Coples at 8 if they do not move and Taneyhill is gone..

dolfan75071
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I have added another draft scenario. One where we miss on Tannehill and trade down. There will be other trade down chances but this one has a chance. They are posted here. Let me know what you think of scenario 2.

http://www.nfldraftfan.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=81

I would like us to be able to get Tannehill but I do not want to trade up to get him. I am starting to feel like if Cleveland doesn't grab him then KC or Arizona may trade up to Jax spot and get him.

thebow305
03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I would DEFINITELY approve that scenario 2! I'm not the biggest Cousins fan, but Mayock seems to like him a lot, and honestly that's good enough for me.

Especially if we can grab Sanu with that other pick, and the rest of the picks are not too shabby either. :)

dolfan75071
03-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I am torn because I feel like Tannehill will eventually be a great QB but not right out of the gate. So I feel like if he's there we need to take him at 8. If someone moves up or the Browns take him then we need to change focus and try to move down.

And on another note I love Mercilus, Toon and Sanu. I imagine Mercilus and Wake on opposite sides rushing the QB. Then Sanu, Toon Gates and Bess on our 4 WR set.

So I think I am leaning to Scenario 2 also.

dolfan75071
04-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I've been going over the Miami depth chart trying to get a feel for who we've signed and if there are glaring holes. The 2 holes I see besides needing a franchise QB are at WR and OG. I would say the needs are in order of QB, WR and G tied, then pass rusher.

With that said, IMO if we draft Tannehill 1st, then in looking at how the draft may fall there will be Sanu, Randle, Curry, McClellin and OG Zietler may be there at our spot in the 2nd. Who do you take given the depth chart holes?

I really like McClellin but feel the fins may go after WR Sanu or Randle here but it may be a toss up. They could get AJ Jenkins and Nick Toon in the 3rd and grab McClellin at 42. I keep thinking I would love to see Toon and Sanu in Dolphins uniform so I am hoping we grab Sanu at 42 and then Toon at 72. At 73 since we passed up pass rusher I hope Bruce Irvin is vailable.

thebow305
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I want a QB and a WR with our first two picks. I feel like those are the two biggest needs. Ideally, for me, it would be Ryan Tannehill in the 1st and Rueben Randle in the 2nd. That would be incredible!!

Grizzlegom
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd be happy with the draft if we came out of it with Tannehill or Weeden honestly. Anything after that would be icing on the cake haha. I have faith in this staff's ability to make mold OL and WRs and get more production out of them than their natural abilities might suggest. That being said, if I were scripting this draft it would be QB, pass rusher, WR, and OL with our four top 100 picks.

thebow305
04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
For me, it's gotta be QB and WR with our first two picks, whichever order. I'm hoping for either a Tannehill/Randle or Floyd/Osweiler combo.

Quagmire
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I know this may be an unpopular position on the board, but I am rooting for and am very confident in Jeff Ireland for this draft.. I think the more and more info being put out there leads me to believe that this guy really is a good evaluator and may be getting his bearings into becoming a good GM. Unfortunately, he is in a bad spot this yr. The world expects him to get a QB no matter what. The problem is that there is no way in hell Tannehill is worth the #3 overall pick. I would be furious if he paid a heavy price to go get a guy who will have to sit at least 1 yr and probably 2.. At most, if they had to trade one of their 3's to move up a couple spots, I would consider it..

In my mind, he has a few choices:

1. Wait til #8. I think if he does wait, he will have the opportunity to get Tannehill there. IMO, he has to take him at #8 if he is there. My personal opinion is Weeden will be better, but I think he will get lynched if Tannehill makes it to 8 and does not take him.

2. Trade down and try to get him a little lower. I think that in most yrs, they are in a great trading zone.. Jax and Miami are great spots for people to come up and get the next wave of players after the "big 6". Coples, Cox, Barron & Ingram are going to be sought after by teams in the teens.. If they were confident that Tannehill would get through KC and Sea, they could take a shot and see if they can pick up some extra choices and still nab him closer to where he really belongs.. Dream scenario would be to move to 15 with Philly, pick up a #2 and still get Tannehill at #15.. Don't think this is going to happen, but I can dream..

3. Take the defensive player. He could get ready for the bullets to fly with this one if Tannehill is still there, but he could just take Coples or another defensive player with the pick and try to grab a qb in rd 2 or moving back up in rd 1. If they were to get Weeden as the QB in this scenario, I would be fine. But, I am not in on Osweiler or Cousins. Neither one does anything for me, especially Osweiler...

I think at this point, these are the possibilities. The scenarios that have Miami taking a WR or Ol in rd 1 don't make sense to me. Unless you are drafting a Calvin or Andre Johnson type, wrs are not worth spending top 10 choices on.. And they just cannot allocate another high pick and salary cap $$ to the OL unless they planned on Jake Long being sent packing (which is not happening)

Let me know what you think guys...

thebow305
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Its gotta be Floyd, Coples or Tannehill at 8, just not sure which one. Id be all for trading down and seeing if any of them fall, if not, take Fleener or Wright.

Da-Phins
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Ireland said during his PC today that he wants the 8th pick to be a guy who can come in and make an impact right away. Now that could be a whole lotta something or just a whole lotta nothing but if its true, I dont really see Tannehill being the guy.

thebow305
04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
You can never trust what Ireland says this time of year. Remember the "Pillar of Defense" comment, right before he took Jake Long. Yeah.

I'm starting to lean towards another player other than Tanny right now too, but you just can't read into these comments at all.

Quagmire
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
This board is completely dead. Where is everyone? Draft day is here. Lets get on here and do this!! Everyone and their mother has Tannehill going to us at 8 and while its not a perfect scenario, I really think that he has a chance to be a pretty good player and is not as big a reach as everyone says. Remember, Philip Rivers sat for 2 yrs in SD and he went 4th...

4U2NV
04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm really hoping for one of the WRs with our first pick. I know everybody and their dog has us taking Tannehill, I think there's better QBs next year and we'd be better off taking a weapon so that whoever we grab next year has somebody to throw to.

Grizzlegom
04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I want Tannehill honestly. I'm not overly high on all the QBs for next years draft plus I think we'll be in a similar position next year where we win enough games to be out of the elite QB range but not good enough to make the playoffs. The only WR I'd be okay with at 8 is Blackmon but I don't think he'll make it that far. I honestly don't know that there is any player other than Tannehill and Blackmon that would excite me at 8. I'm totally braced for us to come up on the board with Tannehill and Blackmon available and we turn around and draft Mark Barron.

Da-Phins
04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Its go time baby!

thebow305
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm happy. I think we NEEDED Tannehill. No question he has the ability of a top ten pick. I'd sit him this ENTIRE year, then give him the reins after that. I'm very hopeful. We finally took a chance and didn't play it safe. No doubt I'm getting a Ryan Tannehill jersey baby!!

Now I am PRAYING that we get one of these guys with our 2nd rounder:

1. Reuben Randle
2. Courtney Upshaw
3. Stephen Hill
4. Coby Fleener
5. Alshon Jeffery
6. Jonathan Martin
7. Mohamed Sanu
8. Mike Adams
9. Cordy Glenn
10. Bobby Massie

Not gonna lie, as much as I hate the guy, I wouldn't be upset if we took a shot on Janoris Jenkins if he made it to 42. Just sayin..

Here's to a FANTASTIC Day two for our Phins!!!!

Grizzlegom
04-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Wooo Tannehill! I'm rooting for Andre Branch, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Martin, or Amini Silatolu with our next pick.

4U2NV
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Really hoping we get Randle today. Would also be happy with Silatolu.

SolidGold
04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I like the Tannehill pick. He was probably my favorite prospect in the draft. So much was made of his performance last year but A&M receivers dropped a huge percentage of his passes. His upside is right up there with Griffin (who was really hyped up IMO). He has experience in a pro-style offense and his physical and mental attributes are top notch. In previous years it would have been considered a real reach but after last year everyone realizes the position is at a premium. He is better than Ponder/Gabbert and is almost on par with Locker who went 8 last year I believe.

Having Matt Moore/Garrard in front of him will insulate him from being forced into action to soon. This will give him more time to develop and build the team up around him.

Here is a statement from Sherman:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/04/mike-shermans-shares-he-thoughts-about-tannehill.html

Good luck in the rest of the draft Dolphin fans...so stoked they picked up Tannehill!

Quagmire
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Really hoping for Vinny Curry today in rd 2. Focus on WR and OL in round 3 and 4. Would not mind a Courtney Upshaw either. Hoping no on Andre Branch. Think he is another Merling.... Would not even mind going BPA and taking a guy like Boykin or dare i say, Janoris Jenkins if the pass rushers are gone..

dolfan75071
04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Love the Tannehill pick, the Jersey has been ordered.

As for 2nd round, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Martin, or Amini Silatolu will do for OL.
For WR I like Sanu, Randle and Quick as a dark horse.

BUT I would be extremely happy if we could get Fleener. He'd be a great weapon for Tannehill.

draftguru151
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
OL, WR or pass rusher. Don't have too much of a preference as to who.

Randle would be pretty awesome though.

Da-Phins
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Fan of the Tannehill and Martin pick. Hope that we FINALLY found ourselves a franchise QB. Really like his potential. Just hope the coaches dont screw up and put him in too early.

Kinda scratching my head on the 3rd round picks. Can anybody tell me the goods on Vernon? Doesnt seem much of a pass rusher threat that we need opposite of Wake. And I was kinda surprised with the Egnew pick. I thought we already had our mismatch/seam threat TE in Clay. Was thinking more in the later rounds when we would take a TE. Certainly not that early.

Day 3 we NEED to attack the WR's in the draft. Know its a deep class but damn. Was hoping we would draft a WR atleast by in the 2nd-3rd round.

draftguru151
04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Ugh hate the Egnew pick so much.

Vernon has a ton of potential as a pass rusher, great physical tool set, great first step. Barely played this last year though.

BPhilb
04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm a Mizzou fan and just wanted to let you guys know that Egnew has a chance to be a really good player in the league. He had a down year numbers wise this year due to a new QB and a change in the offensive philosiphy but was still a very valuable part of our team. He gets knocked on his blocking, but Missouri was 11th in the county in rushing this past year and ran a great percentage of our runs to this side of the field. He's also a great kid who won't cause any problems. Hope he performs well for you guys in the future.

4U2NV
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I absolutely LOVED the Martin pick, sould help to anchor the right side of our line for a long time. Him and Long make an awesome set of bookends.

I was really hoping for a WR yesterday though, I hope we go after one today. Chris Givens would look really nice in our colors.

Da-Phins
04-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey look! Ireland finally decided to draft a WR....in the 6th round.

I really like the trade up in the 4th to grab Miller. Bush is in his contract year and Thomas hasnt proven anything yet in the pros.

4U2NV
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM
We signed Jeff Fuller as an undrafted free agent after the draft. Very interesting!

Grizzlegom
04-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Overall I'm happy with the draft. Really happy with the Tannehill, Martin, Egnew, Kaddu, and Cunningham picks. Okay with Vernon because we needed a pass rusher and he's got the upside. There's a few guys I liked more but nobody I was overly in love with after the first 5 or so pass rushers. I wasn't overly high on the Miller trade but I'm also not a fan of his in general but I do think he was a steal and him and DT could be a nice tandem. Randall was good value where we got him and I am glad we doubled up on WRs with two that should be good schematic fits. I do wish we would have gone WR earlier but if Philbin and company are as good with WRs, as they think they are, we should be okay.

Pretty excited about both Jeff Fuller and Derek Moye as free agent signings. Wouldn't be shocked to see them beat out guys like Wallace and Moore. We also got Jacquies Smith, he's a high-upside tweener that I liked as a potential later rounder if he can bulk up.

Quagmire
04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
First chance to get on since the draft. Overall, I am pretty happy. Think with a couple of breaks, this could be a big time draft but overall, as of right now, I say it was above-average.

1. Tannehill - Love it. There was no player at 8 worth taking over him. IMO, he should sit this entire yr and I hope they do not rush him. But, for the first time in a long time (except for Hennes 1st start vs the Jets, when I thought we might have had our guy), I feel really good about our QB future..

2. Martin - IMO, this was their biggest mistake of the draft. While I think he could be a servicable to good T, I felt getting a pass rusher like Vinny Curry at this spot made more sense.. Now, if in a yr, they do not resign Long due to the huge $$ and Martin is our starting LT, then I am mistaken. But, I really liked Curry and thought they should have gone that way..

3. Vernon - Like the pick, though he does scare me in the Merling kind of way. Talent is there, but can they get it out of him. Had to grab him there because they did not land a pass rusher in the first 2 rds...

3. Egnew - Really like the pick. See Philbin using him as Miami's version of Finley. A perfect fit for this new offense. Not worried about the blocking because that is not what he is there for..

4. Miller - LOVE the pick. Watched him all yr and I thought he was far and away the 2nd best RB in this draft and to me has almost as much upside as Richardson. (Though not nearly as tough or polished right now). Also like the fact that Ireland was clearly going BPA. That is the way good teams are made. He is a perfect complement to D Thomas if they go that way and also protection against Bush leaving after 2012...

5. Kaddu - Reading the reports here make me think that he should be a guy that could eventually blosssom into a starter especially considering Dansby's cap implications going forward. Again, he went BPA in his mind, even though the fan in me was rooting for McNutt or an OG with this pick.

6. Cunningham - Fits the suit for what they want out of a west coast WR, though again, I would have preferred McNutt. We'll see. He will have to fight for a roster spot...

7. Randall - A projection at DT, Ireland has always done pretty well in the late rds at this position and with guys like Starks and McDaniel's contracts expiring at the end of the yr, he should have a really good chance to make the team and potentially have a future here as a rotational DT..

7. Matthews - Another guy who fits the suit at WR. There is going to be a lot of competition at this position in training camp and I have read a lot of positive reports on him. Lets hope they are true.

All in all, I was really happy. Before the draft I thought Ireland needed to land 4 starters by yr 2 of their careers. I would say he accomplished that and potentially more. If Tannehill turns out to be as good as they think he can be, then this turns into the best Miami draft in a LONG time.... Lets hope so...