PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan your team?

Ness
01-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Sometimes I hear about people that are fans of football teams, but have never even been to the state where the team is from. And that's fine. I don't have an issue with it. I know there are more than 32 places in the United States, but for those of you who didn't grow up in a place where a team was, did you just start following the closest team that was to you? Or maybe your family is historically a fan of a certain team and used to live in an area where they resided? Or maybe some other factor?

This is kind of why I don't have a favorite college team. I guess the closest teams where I used to live by that were big football schools historically were Stanford and Cal. But since I didn't go to the school, I always felt there would be some disconnect. So I just never rooted for them. Or rather, it always felt weird to me to root for them. I felt like I'd be a bandwagon fan or something.

Don Vito
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
If I wasn't a fan of Boston sports especially the Pats and Sox, I would have been disowned. That's how.

VernonLawson89
01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I was 15 years old when i became a 49er fan, now i'm 24. It started in 2003, i wasn't really into football at the time but my uncle got tix to the final game of the season against the Seahawks and asked me if i wanted to go, so i said yeah.

It was Garcia and T.O.'s last game as Niners, unfortunately T.O. didn't play, he was hurt. I remember seeing him pacing the sidelines with a sling on his arm. We lost the game, but it was a fun experience and the atmosphere was just amazing. Been a fan ever since.

Damix
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Grew up on Long Island + Dad was Giants fan. Easy choice.

TACKLE
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I got really pissed off on draft day when my team drafted the franchise QB they desperately needed. Even though I hardly knew anything about him, I still denounced my former team for selecting him and decided to pick a new favorite team.

That's the story of how I became a Jags fans.

bored of education
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I got really pissed off on draft day when my team drafted the franchise QB they desperately needed. Even though I hardly knew anything about him, I still denounced my former team for selecting him and decided to pick a new favorite team.

lolzzzz

When Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs I went with him.

CashmoneyDrew
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Well, the Titans moved to Nashville and I attended the inaugural home game against the Bengals.

vidae
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM

I lol'd so hard.

When my mom and uncle were growing up my grandpa had season tickets to the 49ers, so everything was 49ers all the time, including me when I was younger. My first football game was 49ers vs. the Redskins at Candlestick and the first baby picture I ever took was me holding a little plastic football with the 49ers logo.

When I was young we moved to Kansas City though, and the fans and the atmosphere here is INFECTIOUS. You can't walk down the street without seeing something Chiefs related. The first game I can remember was at Arrowhead and I just fell in love with the Chiefs. I still root for the 49ers, and most of my family (except my mom) still consider the 49ers their team, but we're hardcore Chiefs fans and will be until the day we die.

TitleTown088
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
My old man liked the Packers so I followed suit.

BradysKnee
01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Good thread. Coach in Peewee ball was a big pats fan. I was 10 and it was 1996. He got me into them and it stuck lol.

Mufasa
01-25-2012, 06:51 PM
It's to honor my mother. My mom was a zookeeper, and she'd take me to work with her once a month. Every time I wanted to visit the Lions. One time my mom brought me with her to feed them. One of the male lions got aggressive and mounted her, then raped her until she died.

Brown Leader
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
^Hahahaa.

My brother in law is a die hard Browns fan-I have no idea why-he's from NE. He even named his son after Bernie Kosar-true story. I became a fan when I was young growing up with him.

Caddy
01-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Mike Alstott in Madden 02 or 03

Don Vito
01-25-2012, 07:17 PM
It's to honor my mother. My mom was a zookeeper, and she'd take me to work with her once a month. Every time I wanted to visit the Lions. One time my mom brought me with her to feed them. One of the male lions got aggressive and mounted her, then raped her until she died.

Best post ever

RufusMcDaniel
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
First game I remember watching was the Music City Miracle...hated the Bills back then for some reason, and ever since then I knew the Titans and I were perfect together.

A Perfect Score
01-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Mike Alstott in Madden 02 or 03

This is a damn good answer.

http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-446827-ray-lewis-autographed-hand-signed-baltimore-ravens-flexing-8x10-photo-rdm-rlewis8x10-8.jpg

That's my reason.

ImBrotherCain
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
As I was growing up I never watched sports... My parents disliked them so when I hit 6th grade my Grandfather asked me if I played football because I was built like I should play.

Ended up playing never knowing the sport and ended up falling in love with Football and pretty much all sports. As I started to watch more Football I fell in love with Brett Favre and how he played the game.

Thats how I became a Packer fan.

Simba
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM

You told me it was SCAR!

Malaka
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Grew up in Queens, NYC. Jets sucked and the Giants actually made the super bowl back in 2000 (I was born 1994, so I leaned toward the G-Men), and, lastly, my dad was also a Giants fan. That's why I love the Giants, and since I play the sport I love it more than anyother team (yankees, knicks, etc.)

nepg
01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Birth (10 char)

nobodyinparticular
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Grew up just inside the valley from the Bay Area. Dad was a fan of the Raiders from before the moved to LA. I think I had an LA Raiders hat when I was about 2. There was something about the swagger of the Silver an Black, even as a kid that made me like them over the pristine clean of the 49ers. Don't get me wrong. I'm no gangster and never was drawn to it, but the studs like Bo Jackson and Howie Long just played with attitude.

Also...

Bo Jackson and Tecmo Bowl.

Raiderz4Life
01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
I spent a lot of time with my mom's side of the family growing up and they were all Raiders fan. All I'd ever get was Raiders gear and watching Raiders games. When I'd play madden even though I didn't know wtf I was doing they'd tell me to pick the Raiders.

Also, Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It.

BuckNaked
01-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Is it weird that Randall Cunningham is the reason I became a Vikes fan in '98? I have yet to really find another Vikings fan in person actually.

BradysKnee
01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Is it weird that Randall Cunningham is the reason I became a Vikes fan in '98? I have yet to really find another Vikings fan in person actually.

Oh I'm sure the day comes when Minnesota wins a SB you'll meet plenty.

Ghost of Juice
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/stevemcnair.jpg

I'm from New England but this is the guy that got me interested in football so they became my favorite team.

BuckNaked
01-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Vikings? Win a Super Bowl? C'mon..

BuckNaked
01-25-2012, 08:32 PM

EDIT: Triple Post...Man I ****** this one up.

BuckNaked
01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
EDIT: Double post

nobodyinparticular
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/stevemcnair.jpg

I'm from New England but this is the guy that got me interested in football so they became my favorite team.

This is a good reason.

Grizzlegom
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
My family is pretty diehard football fans. Growing up in PA, Dad is an Eagles fan, Mom is a Steelers fan. I wasn't about to pick one or the other out of fear of alienating a parent so I went with a neutral third party. Between the colors, the mascot, and this guy:

http://hempbeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dan-marino.jpg

The choice was easy.

SickwithIt1010
01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
I grew up liking all the teams my dad liked and we had lots of southern california roots so without having any teams down there (my dad likes the raiders) when I started getting to see McNabb play all the time he became my favorite player which basically just lead to me becoming a pretty die hard eagles fan. Every team I have been a fan of have been in the west/nortwest and the eagles are almost on the east coast, kinda weird but oh well.

Brent
01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.bestplaces.net/images/city/paloalto_ca.gif
because I am from here.

Sloopy
01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
As far as Ohio State, my whole family is from Ohio and I was born there. Moved to CT when I was young but I've always liked Cleveland teams and THE Ohio State University sports.

As far as the Ravens... when the Browns moved I was kind of torn. I followed the Ravens and when Peyton came into the league he was one of my favorite players so I followed the Colts as well.

However since the whole possibility of trading Manning thing I'm pretty much all Ravens... Really can't stand Irsay either.

So there you have it.

The_Dude
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
I love disappointment..... therefore, i am a life long Vikings fan.

Smooth Criminal
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Born and raised in pittsburgh and go to OSU. Only things in a fan of.

Ravens1991
01-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Grew up in the area, when the Ravens moved here my dad ditched the giants for the Ravens. He got a PSL and my 5th birthday was the first ever home game in Baltimore and he took me there as a present. been a big fan ever since.

OSUGiants17
01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Grew up in Queens, NYC. Jets sucked and the Giants actually made the super bowl back in 2000 (I was born 1994, so I leaned toward the G-Men), and, lastly, my dad was also a Giants fan. That's why I love the Giants, and since I play the sport I love it more than anyother team (yankees, knicks, etc.)

This is my exact story lol except I'm not from Queens. But everything else is true for me too.

My 2nd favorite team is the Ravens though, odd choice considering 2000, but I just love Defense and power running(I guess that's another reason why I'm a Giants fan). Seeing Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Jamaal Lewis together growing up made me a fan. But if I ever have to choose between the Giants and Ravens it's a no brained I go with the Giants.

CDCB14
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Odd story for me. My dad loved cowboys and indians growing up, and once he got into football he just picked the cowboys because of that and was a die hard fan ever since (also helped that this was during the late 80's to early 90's), even though we live in Connecticut. I was pretty much born with Cowboys baby clothes on, and that's how I'm a Cowboys fan.

Paul
01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.skylinepictures.com/Super_Bowl_sb8_large.jpg

robert pancake gallery
01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
funny story; growing up i was a huge packers fan, i had pictures of brett favre all over my bedroom. there was this one picture that really stuck out though, it was brett favre bent down slipping on a pair of those bunhugger wrangler jeans, and it was positioned right above my bed so every night when i fell asleep i would dream about brett favre putting on those wranglers; i'd imagine him getting done with two-a-days and accumulating a good buildup of smegma at the hilt of his sweaty taint, then without showering sliding on those crisp wrangler jeans while i peered through a hole in one of the lockers. every so often in the dream i would find a way to sneak out unnoticed into the laundry area, and find brett's moist jockstrap and take a good whiff of his daily pheromones.

Hawk
01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I remember watching Favre win the Super Bowl XXXI and started following the Packers. I just loved the way he played and it helped that I had family up north that were fans as well. The rest is history.

eeth
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Born in 1989, grew up in Toledo which is around a 45 minute drive from Detroit and Sanders was taking the league by storm, also my family are fans.

Sloopy
01-25-2012, 10:46 PM
funny story; growing up i was a huge packers fan, i had pictures of brett favre all over my bedroom. there was this one picture that really stuck out though, it was brett favre bent down slipping on a pair of those bunhugger wrangler jeans, and it was positioned right above my bed so every night when i fell asleep i would dream about brett favre putting on those wranglers; i'd imagine him getting done with two-a-days and accumulating a good buildup of smegma at the hilt of his sweaty taint, then without showering sliding on those crisp wrangler jeans while i peered through a hole in one of the lockers. every so often in the dream i would find a way to sneak out unnoticed into the laundry area, and find brett's moist jockstrap and take a good whiff of his daily pheromones.

WTF dude? (10 char)

robert pancake gallery
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
WTF dude? (10 char)

when i was going through a lucid dreaming experimentation phase, i could actually control brett favre's reaction to finding me smelling his testosterone stained underwear; generally he would be really embarrassed when he found out, but once he realized how much satisfaction his heavenly aromas were providing me it was like there was suddenly this brotherly bond formed between us, and he would nod approvingly as though he completely understood my motives. but i also experimented with negative reactions, such as brett physically confronting me, leading to us interlocked on the locker room floor with brett's dirty underwear draped over my face. generally, these mini-wrestling matches would dissolve into innocent locker room horseplay, complete with smacking sounds.

yodabear
01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
I grew up pretty much on the SE border of Minnesota and Wisconsin so I heard a lot from the fan bases of Minnesota and Green Bay. Especially from my family since they are divided between Packers and Vikings fans, so u know what both of them annoyed the **** out of me, so I didn't wanna cheer for either. So I know it was kind of like voting for Nader, but I went to the Rams cuz of Kurt Warner and the GSOT.

SuperMcGee
01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
First game I remember watching was the Music City Miracle...hated the Bills back then for some reason, and ever since then I knew the Titans and I were perfect together.

http://www.skylinepictures.com/Super_Bowl_sb8_large.jpg

The fanhood was all location, but I can tell you how I started to hate Rufus and Paul.

phlysac
01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
I looked up to my cousin who was just a year and a half older than me. He grew up in Austintown, OH (a suburb of Youngstown.) His grandmother was friends with Eddie DeBartolo, Sr. (former 49ers' owner's father.) He had all kinds of 49ers memorabilia because of this. He ended up attending the same highschool (Ursuline) as former 49ers' executive Carmen Policy.

The first season that I have clear memory of rooting for the 49ers was 1983.

Arsenal
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nfl.super.bowl.covers.1/images/steve-young.jpg

I basically just remember the 49ers raping the Chargers in the Super Bowl when I was kid and hopped on the bandwagon.

prock
01-26-2012, 12:05 AM

Everybody rep this man.

holt_bruce81
01-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Grew up in St. Louis.

GatorsBullsFan
01-26-2012, 01:03 AM
In 1993 I saw this and being from Jacksonville My home town got a team and I've been a fan ever since
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/681/852/touchdownjax_display_image.jpg?1324050333

dolphinfan2k5
01-26-2012, 01:20 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/this.day.sports.history.dec17/images/dan-marino.jpg

I'm from Iowa. I've loved the Dolphins since I was like 5. A combination of their colors and Dan Marino I suppose. Probably mostly their colors.

Ness
01-26-2012, 01:22 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nfl.super.bowl.covers.1/images/steve-young.jpg

I basically just remember the 49ers raping the Chargers in the Super Bowl when I was kid and hopped on the bandwagon.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/162/yes-this-pleases-gaga.jpg

Brothgar
01-26-2012, 01:57 AM
0DcHoF0Gjao

I use to be a Cowboys fan. I remember being 5 an being clad in all cowboys stuff (front runnerism on top of the Cowboys always beating my dad's team [bills] then I saw Barry. Watched Barry. It was and still is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on the football field.

StickSkills
01-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Growing up, my grandmother tried to make me a Redskins fan while my grandfather tried to make me a Cowboys fan. My father hated football because those two bickered when he grew up about Redskins/Cowboys.

It wasn't til we lived at Penn State when my dad was sent there to get his PhD for the Air Force that I began to watch football. After a few years, I started watching NFL football and it was the turtlenecks that the Chief's players wore in their photos that made me pay attention. Then when Priest Holmes went into beast mode I really started liking them. Then when they drafted Larry Johnson and Tamba Hali, it became permanent.

OzTitan
01-26-2012, 03:22 AM
turtlenecks? lolwat?

OzTitan
01-26-2012, 03:28 AM
As for me - I was a Boys fan as a kid during the 90s but that was mostly because the Cowboys were about the only team I'd see over here in Australia, and my dad was a Niners fan so it seemed right. I did like the Oilers, but never really got to see them and without internet access it was a bit hard to keep up with them.

Coverage of the NFL fell the way side around 95, 96 in Australia because IIRC the Nine TV network bought the rights and then blacked it out because they were amidst trying to market a new brand of Rugby called the SuperLeague. During this time I pretty much relied on Madden on the SEGA to keep me posted. By 97, 98 ish my family got Satellite TV with dedicated sports channels and I finally had more access to the NFL and I saw the Oilers became the Titans, with a guy named McNair and Eddie George, and that was it.

Gay Ork Wang
01-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Bears Fan.

I had no idea how american football even works when I had an exchange year in HS and lived in an american host family for half a year. I played NFL Street 2 against my host brother.

There was this one player. Brian Urlacher. Whenever you made a strong tackle (kinda like hit stick), you would force a fumble with brian urlacher. Im not even exaggerating. I remember a play where he picked up the ball 3-4 times and brian forced 4 fumbles. I loved it.

Then i got to see a bears game on air. It was the one against the Vikings where hester had a punt return against them and basically every TD was ST or Defensive since grossman had like a sub 5-10 QB rating. I loved the unconventional way they won the game and havent looked back since.

terribletowel39
01-26-2012, 06:35 AM
I got tired of not really following a football team in 1998. I had the new Madden. I pressed down on the controller and closed my eyes. I landed on the Steelers. They went 7-9 that year. 2 more years of not really being good I thought I had picked a suck team but had spent hours doing research on history and past players and the like, I wasn't just going to abandon ship. Luckily, yall know the rest of that story.

bigbluedefense
01-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Born and raised 15 minutes from Giants stadium. I support local teams. My dad was a Giants fan, my favorite color growing up was blue, my favorite player growing up was LT, local, so it was a match made in heaven.

Giants and Knicks. Those are my teams. I only follow football and basketball. Don't care for baseball, although I'll casually root for NY teams just bc they're local.

Razor
01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
My story is kind of weird I guess. In Denmark we didn't get NFL on TV before 1999, we only had the Super Bowl until then. I thought football was boring and unintelligent, and basically just an excuse for latently homosexual males to grab each other in a socially acceptable way. So every sunday I would turn on my TV when I went to bed, put on the game that was playing and fall a sleep really fast. However, sometimes I couldn't sleep even with the game on. So I listened and found out that there was a team called the New England Patriots. Coolest name ever, and I knew that Walter Zenga used to play GK for the New England soccer team in 1997. I was sold on the Pats just by knowing that. I did take me a while to really start being more than a casual fan, but I was a fan when I heard the name and made the connection to Walter Zenga. Now I can't get enough of NFL and have expanded my horizon to college football and some recruiting. It consumes my spare time, which is somewhat frightening.

TheFinisher
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
ggnAusZQU08

jrdrylie
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Bears and Jaguars fan:

Bears: I was in a military family, so I did a bunch of moving around. Born in Ohio, moved to Cocoa Beach, Florida, and then to Columbia, South Carolina. It was in Columbia, at the age of seven, that I started becoming a sports fan. As I had never lived in a city with a professional sports team, I didn't really know who to cheer for. But we had WGN at our house, so pretty much everyday when I got home from school, there was a Cubs game on. So I became a Cubs fan. Then I just decided, I'm a Cubs fan, I'll just cheer for all Chicago teams.

Jaguars: This one is much easier. After my father retired from the military, he got a job in Jacksonville, Florida. We moved there in 1996, right when the Jaguars were getting started. I had to cheer for my hometown team. Despite living in Jacksonville for 13 years, the Jags never surpassed the Bears as my favorite team but I cheer for them against all others and when I move back to Florida, I will likely get season tickets to their games.

NIN1984
01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
1998 is when I became a huge fan, Jon Gruden was just too cool.

Fdmstng99
01-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Was a huge Montana fan and Niner fan before the Ravens came to town. The Niners were always on TV in my area when I was growing up. When the Ravens came to town they pretty much ruled the TV on Sundays and the later games usually was a division rival now so I couldn't get much exposure the the Niners like I had before.

I started going to some Ravens games, watching them on TV and grew to become a huge Ravens fan now. Still follow the Niners but the Ravens are #1now.

StickSkills
01-26-2012, 09:44 AM
turtlenecks? lolwat?
yeah, like in the bottom right of this image (kinda covered by the text though)

http://lilcube.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/priest_holmes.jpg

Chiefs were the only team rockin the turtlenecks. I feel em.

Prowler
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I have 3 stages of fandom.

My mom is from Greensburg, Penn. Her entire family are diehard Steelers fans. They have terrible towels signed by Myron Cope and all that. I would watch them when I was really little. I remember thinking Bubby Brister was awesome because his name was Bubby. I have so many Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates jerseys from when I was little that I could have worn one every day for 2 weeks without repeating.

I lived in Indiana from when I was 2-20(1987-2005). The Colts blew, but we supported them while cheering for the Steelers. We'd flip back and forth between the two CBS channels since one was from Ohio and was always playing a Steelers game, while the local station always played the Colts if they weren't blacked out. I remember watching crappy Colts teams composed of quarterbacks Trudeau, Jeff George, and Tom Tupa as emergency QB before he became a punter. I loved Sean Dawkins and Yancey Thigpen. Jim Harbaugh probably single handedly turned me over to being a primary Colts fan. I loved Captain Comeback and wanted to believe in the Colts. I was excited for Marshall Faulk, and then the Manning years came and everything was good.

I moved to Kalamazoo and kind of adopted the Lions. The Colts and Steelers went on to win back to back Super Bowls and frankly sustained success bores me. I'm a reverse bandwagoner. I took to the the Lions because they represent me and all the people in Michigan now. I love their attitude and am proud of their turnaround. I think of the Lions as being solely "mine", whereas the Colts are my mom's and the Steelers are my grandma's. I don't turn my back on my family ties, but the Lions are my own thing.

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm a masochist, so I picked a team that would torture me with their every decision.

Really, though, I have not had a good relationship with the Jaguars for some years now.

SuperPacker
01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I didnt even know what amercian football was about 3 years ago. My mate had Madden 09 (the one with Brett Favre on the front), so i used to play it with him but i needed a team to support. I looked at the madden cover and said "whats this team?", my mate replied "green bay packers". I was like, "ok yeah may aswell support them" and the rest is history...

Im now addicted to the sport and a true packers fan. Wooo!

SimonRath
01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Two words. Mike Vick.

AntoinCD
01-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Well I'm Irish and have had family and friends who lived and worked in Boston before so I always had an affinity for Boston teams. I never really watched football in the 90s, mainly because we didn't have cable so I watched more baseball and liked the Red Sox. When we got cable I started to watch more football, realised how boring baseball was, and just got really into it

Splat
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.jimsavidge.com/graphics/derrick_thomas.gif

fischbowl
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Born and raised in Buffalo and the Bills were nothing short of idolized in my family growing up.

http://jjarnot.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/00819604-photo-buffalo-66.jpg

Bulldogs
01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Madden2004box.jpg

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I miss the ATL Mike Vick.

PoopSandwich
01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
http://www.lonecadaver.com/01Spergon%20Wynn.jpg

BigBlueNorwegian
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I Started watching the NFL when I got the TV channel that airs it on a trial basis for a month in january 2008. Their listings stated that they were showing the NFL playoffs, and so, on a saturday without anything useful to do, I sat down to learn about this sport and see what it was all about. I didn't really even know any rules, but the basic stuff was pretty easy to understand.

Eitherway, I watched all of the wildcard playoff matches and the divisional playoff matches, and decided that I loved the sport. It kinda hit me in my heart. There was something about this game so different from any european sport, so different from any other sport really. I knew I was hooked. But now I needed a team to root for. there were four left in the playoffs, and it only seemed natural for me to pick one of those to root for.

So I went with the team that was least expected to be in the championship round, the NY Giants.

Since that moment, I've spent way too many long nights here in Europe cursing at my computer screen, celebrated draft picks, watched postgame shows and such. It has sort of taken over a big part of my life formerly known as sleep. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

PackerLegend
01-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I like beer and like to wear cheese on my head so it just seemed natural.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Grew up in PA but loved watching Barry Sanders. As a kid got everything Lions related I could and family got sattelite in 97 just for the Lions. And I'm glad they did as 97 was an amazing season with Barry running wild. Even more hardcore in the Millen era suprisingly with the internet and what not and living with a Packer fan in college. Now I'm hardcore Lions junkie as you can get. Directv, NFL network, and any news articles or information relating to the Lions and college nfl prospects that could be Lions.

Thunder&Lightning
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Born and raised a Pats fan, work for the Bucs now so they grew on me

rchrd
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Got into the NFL through Madden 04, step mum is from Michigan so the decision was pretty simple, any NFC North team that wasnt the Lions (oh yeah i'm such a rebel...). Watched a few games and the Vikings were the obvious choice, all attack no defending, would clearly disappoint for the foreseeable future in agonising ways. Pretty much everything any Englishman could hope for (constant failure).

It's weird watching the Vikings on tv or the net and being as nervous as I would be watching Crystal Palace (a fan my entire life and local team) play in the stadium but the connection is there and it will be forever I imagine.

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't have a favorite college team really (always have liked players more than schools). Once the Jags drafted this man:

http://www.athlonsports.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/athlon_slideshow_portrait/slideshow-images/Taylor_Slideshow.jpg

It was all over for me. Loved watching him play at UF. Miss watching him play in the NFL.

Seamus2602
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm from Ireland and normally would have had a bit of an affinity for Boston, which is why I support the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. The problem is that when I started getting interested in American sports, especially the NFL, the Patriots had just won the Superbowl and didn't want to support the team who had just won the Superbowl (I got accused enough of being a glory hunter for supporting Man Utd). One of the main ways that I got interested in American sports were the video games (NBA 2k series, Madden etc). And I hated running the ball. I was never good at it. So I just tried to air it out on every single play. So I tried to find a team with a good Quarterback and good Wide Receivers.

Phillysteeler
01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I was in a family football pool when I was about 6 or 7, and I got the Steelers. They won me some money that year, so I stuck with them. As for Florida State:
http://ballhyped.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/charlie-ward-florida-state-nfl.jpg

phlysac
01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
My mom is from Greensburg, Penn.

Right on. That's where I've been at the past several years.

tjsunstein
01-27-2012, 08:10 AM
The addicted to pain killer Brett Favre, not the recently retired douche.

brat316
01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Became a Steelers fan when I saw them win back to back AFC Central divison I think somewhere between 93-95, I lived in Michigan at that time. I even got a shirt that said back to back division champs. I don't remember the superbowl at all.

Then I became an Eagles fan after I moved to the Philly burbs in 96, but didn't really notice the Eagles till about 98/99.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Well, the very first Super Bowl I watched was the Packers vs. Patriots. I was like, 6 at the time, and my dad said me and my little brother could stay up a little bit late to watch it. My dad was cheering for the Packers, so my little brother did too, but I had a thing with being different, so I cheered for New England. The Packers won obviously, so when the next Super Bowl rolled around, and the Packers were back in it, I decided to root for the Broncos. They've been my favourite team ever since then.

BloodBrother
01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Born and raised in northern CA....so by that alone I probably should have been a Raiders or Niners fan. Instead I hate both(Raiders moreso)

as far as being a Pack fan...simply put, because of my dad. His dad grew up in the midwest and it was just basically passed on down. My dad also went to a game at Lambeau(tailgated, however) at a young age which got him hooked. Growing up during the Favre years helped as well and green has always been one of my favorite colors

CrackerJack465
01-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Born and raised in LI new york and I recently graduated from Ohio St. and moved back to NY..

princefielder28
01-27-2012, 07:44 PM
born and raised in Green Bay made the decision an easy one and having #4 at QB only helped

Thecollegedropout
01-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Well I am from NY but I don't remember how the hell I became a Jets fan but I have been through the team for a long, long time. Not sure why I chose them over the Giants, probably choosing the GMen would have been better for health and I would have experienced some sort of glory.

I wore my Jets heavy jacket all winter long during the Rich Kotite era(I was like 4-5 years old), even when we went 1-15(I still remember I was pretty happy when the Jets beat the Phoenix Cards for the lone win of the year. Didn't see the game but saw FOX's scoreboard right before I get to watch my Simpsons LOL). Few of my friends parents would joke around.

Been through with them but did not truly FOLLOW Jets football until 2004. That was the year I really began to understand the game completely and of course that was the year the Jets had to get Doug Brien'd out of the divisional round. Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin were my lovejoys in 04.

Doug Brien was the Kyle Williams and Billy Cundiff before they ever existed....ugh. That was the Jets misery at ST.

I like being a Jets fan though....we keep the hunger going every single year and when(There has to be a when right I mean?) the Jets ever win a SB, it will feel all the more sweet. Don't think I could ever be a cocky Giants fan anyhow :P

Ngatachance92
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I was born without a team, while many in my area became Redskins fans them being the closest team geographically, I instead rooted for certain players. My favorite players were Brett Favre, Mike McKenzie(something about those dreads) and Duante Culpepper. That all changed in 96 when Baltimore finally got a team back and the Mythical creature known as Ray Lewis was unleashed upon this unsuspecting world.

UKfan
01-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Watching Manning and Marvin Harrison hook up on tv over here was the main reason I supported the Colts. Was one of those games where Manning couldn't miss and Harrison's route running was so crisp I was mesmerised.

CJSchneider
01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I grew up in Northern California as a 49er fan in the late 80's. Growing up, you were either Joe Montana, Jerry Rice or Ronnie Lott in any backyard football game. Thanks to Uncle Sam, I have lived in Louisiana since April 1st. 1993. I have now spent over half my life here in Louisiana. It only seemed natural to cheer for the home team. I have certainly seen my football fan-dom change since being here as my involvement has swung from playing to coaching.

Legacy
01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm from New York, but moved to Tampa when I was three. I don't really feel any loyalty to the NY teams because I was born in a military town near West Point. Very few people who live there are native New Yorkers, so the in-state teams don't have much of a following (outside of Army).

After my family moved and I began to show an interest in football, the choice was easy: The local team's mascot was a pirate!

Mushtaq23
01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm from New Zealand and the first time I sat down and watched a Super Bowl properly was in 2000 (Titans v Rams). I don't remember much but I do vividly remember the Titans coming up one yard short on that final drive. I was gutted and have been NZ's biggest Titans fan since that moment.

sbh15
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
i don't really have a favorite team. i tried to get into the ravens for a while because i've always like their defenses, but it just didn't catch. both of my brothers and my dad are giants fans, though. i've been rooting for them toward the end of the season and through the playoffs. i also have a huge man crush on percy harvin, so i root for the vikings when they're on

Mr. Goosemahn
01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
My friends were having a playoffs pool, putting in 100 pesos each (roughly 10 dollars at the time). Whoever chose the team that won the SB won it all. During lunch at school, we put little papers with numbers on them in a cup and pulled them out one by one, to define the picking order, and I got #2 out of a possible 8. We'd be picking the teams the next day at lunch. I knew absolutely nothing about football, literally absolutely nothing. I had no idea what a QB was, what first and 10 meant, and who anyone was.

I just opened the sports section and read that the Steelers had won three games in a row and were playing really well so I chose them. They wound up winning the SB vs. the Seahawks and I've been a fan ever since. In the playoffs I learned who was who for the Steelers, and during the summer I learned who everyone was by playing an unhealthy amount of Madden. A couple months later I learned that half the stuff on Madden is ********, and by the end of the next year I joined these boards where I developed basically everything I know of the Steelers and football, in general.

JRTPlaya21
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Born in VA so I've always been raised as a Redskins fan but my parents are from Georgia so my dad also pulls for the Falcons. If those teams can't do well I've adopted the Lions because of Stafford & Calvin's Georgia college roots. My favorite Redskins will always be Terry Allen, Michael Westbrook, Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Darrell Green & of course one of my favorite prospects ever the late great Sean Taylor.

WCH
01-30-2012, 09:43 PM
I moved to Kalamazoo and kind of adopted the Lions. The Colts and Steelers went on to win back to back Super Bowls and frankly sustained success bores me. I'm a reverse bandwagoner. I took to the the Lions because they represent me and all the people in Michigan now. I love their attitude and am proud of their turnaround. I think of the Lions as being solely "mine", whereas the Colts are my mom's and the Steelers are my grandma's. I don't turn my back on my family ties, but the Lions are my own thing.

As a Packer fan who was born and raised in Michigan (raised in Battle Creek, in fact), I salute this.

In a day or two, I'll post about how I became a Packer fan. For now, I think that this should be highlighted.

Mufasa
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
In a day or two, I'll post about how I became a Packer fan. For now, I think that this should be highlighted.

I don't know if I can take the anticipation, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat.

WCH
01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know if I can take the anticipation, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat.

Spoiler: It's not a great story. You should stop anticipating it, and go back to your regularly scheduled activities.

Brent
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
earliest Niners memory:

http://www.skylinepictures.com/Super_Bowl_sb9_large.jpg

dunagan15
01-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Born and raised a Falcon fan. Doing the dirty bird in school was by no means frowned upon.

Nikolas
01-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I lived in Houston from the age of four till 35. When I started playing peewee football, it was the Luv Ya Blue era in Houston, with the great Earl Campbell and Bum Phillips was coaching. Been a fan of Houston football ever since, and I still remember the heartbreak of the '93 Playoffs where we blew a 35-3 lead against Buffalo.

When football came back to H-town (after the dastardly Bud Adams left town), I transferred my favor to the Texans. My first thought when the Cowboys fired Wade Phillips (which I still think is due to Jason Garrett intentionally sabotaging the offense) was that he should come to Houston and take over the horrible D that we were putting up in '10. Sure enough, my wish came true and now Houston is one QB injury away from being Superbowl Contenders.

Texans in '12!

Jensen
01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I've been an Arizona Diamondbacks fan since 1999 because I really liked Randy Johnson. After cheering for them for a couple years and having no hometown team, I just decided to start rooting for Arizona in football too.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
My dad got me into football by doing a pickem with me back when I was 3 or 4 years old. I guess that I did some sort of word association with my name, which is Patrick, and started to gravitate towards the Patriots. I started to pick the Patriots every game. So starting back in 1990, my team hit rock bottom going a tremendous 1-15, but I was 3 years old so its not like every games was life or death like it is today. I soon found my first favorite player come aboard in 1993 when the Patriots drafted Drew Bledsoe. Drew even brought me my first taste of Super Bowl action in 1997. I was born 11 months after Super Bowl XX, so thankfully I didn't have to see my hometown Bears demolish my Patriots. I loved Drew with all my heart for 9 years, and was crushed when Mo Lewis almost killed him. Fortunately, for me, that hit has altered the NFL as we know it. I have been lucky enough to enjoy the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era.

All of us Patriot fans are extremely lucky that we have been fortunate enough to have 5 Super Bowl appearances and 3 Super Bowl rings in the last 10 years.

I am one very lucky fan!

flave1969
01-31-2012, 06:03 AM
First Live Superbowl in UK was #17. The Skins had The Diesel, The Hogs, Fun Bunch, Smurfs, Pearl Harbour Crew among their ranks.

When Riggo went 43 yards on 4th and 1 I was hooked from that point.

MaxV
01-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Sometimes I hear about people that are fans of football teams, but have never even been to the state where the team is from.

Definitely applies to me.

I came to USA in 1995. I didn't know much about football, but it looked like an interesting sport. I was already an Indiana Pacers fan before I arrived (Reggie Miller was my favorite player).

Colts really caught my eye during their 1995 playoff run. They beat the defending AFC champs Chargers, #1 seed Chiefs and came inches away (Aaron Bailey dropped a Jim Harbaugh's hail-mary pass in the endzone) from beating the Steelers in AFC Championship game and going to the Super Bowl.

TheBoyWonder22
01-31-2012, 10:04 AM
I was always sort of a bandwagon fan growing up. I went from the Rams to the Broncos to the Titans before finally choosing Baltimore. Where I'm from it's about 40% Steelers, 40% Browns and 20% Bengals fans. I decided that I wanted to oppose them all so I chose Baltimore. Plus, I love the team's mentality. Maybe I'll tell my Braves, Blazers, Wisconsin, St. Johns, and Flyers stories later.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
became a redskins fan in 1968 with my daddy.this was before there was cablevision,and you had to watch whatever game nbc and cbs showed on sunday.the skins were'nt good,and a lot of times we listened to the game on a radio in the den.after 1971,we got to see all the redskins game cause they started winning regularly.last game we saw before he died was in 1987 when the skins strike team went to dallas and beat the cowboys strike team that most of the cowboys regular season players crossed the pickett lines and played on.he died the following saturday.

Hurricanes25
01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I was always sort of a bandwagon fan growing up. I went from the Rams to the Broncos to the Titans before finally choosing Baltimore. Where I'm from it's about 40% Steelers, 40% Browns and 20% Bengals fans. I decided that I wanted to oppose them all so I chose Baltimore. Plus, I love the team's mentality. Maybe I'll tell my Braves, Blazers, Wisconsin, St. Johns, and Flyers stories later.

As a St. John's student and fan, I'm interested in that story.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Jonathan Vilma. The Jets actually used to be my #2 team behind the Chargers. However, after their treatment of Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison I could support them no longer. At that time my all-time favorite college player came out and i was sold from then forward.

mightytitan9
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
When I was younger there weren't many black QB's in the NFL, I remember watching Steve McNair and seeing him handoff to a massive RB. I didn't follow football much, but everytime I saw that team I'd pay attention.

The next year, I was watched a young rookie come into the league and just destroy anybody in his path. He possessed size, speed and freakish athletic ability. Now at this time I was still relatively young and didn't watch football much, so I didn't know the Titans were the former Oilers whom I liked their QB and RB. Needless to say, Eddie George, Jevon Kearse and Steve McNair all lead me to being a Titans since 99.

RIP Air

stephenson86
02-01-2012, 04:13 AM
My friend put four teams in front of me that were middle of the pack, I like the logo so I went with them.

thegreatone
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Lived in Baltimore. Wasn't really into football until around 2005.

The Ravens were the local team, and I fell in love with the defensive swagger.

MetSox17
02-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Earliest memory was watching the 92 and 93 Superbowls with my old man, and being from Texas, everyone worshiped the Cowboys. It was like love at first sight, i'd jump for joy every time they won and i'd be bawling in tears if they lost. Been an absolute die hard for the better part of my 24 years. I also had a huge fascination with the Culpepper/Moss/Carter Vikings, and i still consider them a very distant number two favorite team.